While the train was stopping at the provincial town, Sergey Ivanovitch did not go to the refreshment room, but walked up and down the platform.
当火车停在省城时,谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇没有去小吃店,而是在站台上来回走动。

The first time he passed Vronsky’s compartment he noticed that the curtain was drawn over the window; but as he passed it the second time he saw the old countess at the window. —
他第一次经过弗朗斯基的车厢时,注意到窗帘遮住了窗户,但第二次经过时,他看到老伯爵夫人在窗前。 —

She beckoned to Koznishev.
她向科兹涅舍夫招手。

“I’m going, you see, taking him as far as Kursk,” she said.
“你看,我要去库尔斯克,带他去,” 她说。

“Yes, so I heard,” said Sergey Ivanovitch, standing at her window and peeping in. —
“是的,我听说了,” 谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇说着,站在她的窗前偷看。 —

“What a noble act on his part!” he added, noticing that Vronsky was not in the compartment.
“他的这个行为真是高尚!” 他补充说,注意到弗朗斯基不在车厢里。

“Yes, after his misfortune, what was there for him to do?”
“是的,在他倒霉之后,他还能做什么呢?”

“What a terrible thing it was!” said Sergey Ivanovitch.
“这真是可怕的事情!” 谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇说道。

“Ah, what I have been through! But do get in…. Ah, what I have been through!” —
“啊,我经历了什么!但是请进去吧… 啊,我经历了多少痛苦啊!” 她重复说道,等谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇上车坐在她旁边。 —

she repeated, when Sergey Ivanovitch had got in and sat down beside her. “You can’t conceive it! —
“你无法想象!” —

For six weeks he did not speak to anyone, and would not touch food except when I implored him. —
“六个星期里他不和任何人说话,除非我哀求他,他也不吃东西。” —

And not for one minute could we leave him alone. —
“而且我们一分钟都不能将他一个人留下。” —

We took away everything he could have used against himself. —
“我们拿走了他所有可能对自己使用的东西。” —

We lived on the ground floor, but there was no reckoning on anything. —
“我们住在一楼,但没有任何事情是可以预料的。” —

You know, of course, that he had shot himself once already on her account,” she said, and the old lady’s eyelashes twitched at the recollection. —
“你知道,当然,他因为她的事已经开过一枪自杀了。”她说着,老太太的眼睫毛在回忆中抽动了一下。 —

“Yes, hers was the fitting end for such a woman. —
“是的,对这样的女人来说,她的死是合适的结局。” —

Even the death she chose was low and vulgar.”
“即使她选择的死亡方式是低下和庸俗的。”

“It’s not for us to judge, countess,” said Sergey Ivanovitch; —
“我们没有资格评判,女伯爵。”谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇说道。 —

“but I can understand that it has been very hard for you.”
“但我可以理解,这对你来说一定非常艰难。”

“Ah, don’t speak of it! I was staying on my estate, and he was with me. A note was brought him. —
“啊,不要再提了!那时我正在庄园里,他和我在一起。有人给他送来了一封信。 —

He wrote an answer and sent it off. We hadn’t an idea that she was close by at the station. —
“他回了一封信并发送了出去。我们根本不知道她就在车站附近。” —

I the evening I had only just gone to my room, when my Mary told me a lady had thrown herself under the train. —
“傍晚时分我刚回到房间,我的玛丽告诉我一个女士投身火车。” —

Something seemed to strike me at once. I knew it was she. —
“立刻有一种奇怪的感觉涌上心头。我知道那是她。” —

The first thing I said was, he was not to be told. But they’d told him already. —
我说的第一件事是不要告诉他。但他们已经告诉他了。 —

His coachman was there and saw it all. When I ran into his room, he was beside himself–it was fearful to see him. —
他私人教练在那里亲眼目睹了一切。当我冲进他的房间时,他简直要发疯了──看到他时真是可怕。 —

He didn’t say a word, but galloped off there. —
他一句话也没说,却骑马狂奔过去了。 —

I don’t know to this day what happened there, but he was brought back at death’s door. —
直到今天我都不知道那里发生了什么,但他卧床不起,危在旦夕。 —

I shouldn’t have known him. Prostration complete, the doctor said. —
如果没有被告知的话,我都认不出他了。医生说他完全垂头丧气。 —

And that was followed almost by madness. Oh, why talk of it!” —
而那之后几乎发疯了。哎,何必再谈这个呢! —

said the countess with a wave of her hand. “It was an awful time! —
伯爵夫人挥了挥手说:“那是一个可怕的时期!” —

No, say what you will, she was a bad woman. Why, what is the meaning of such desperate passions? —
不,不管你怎么说,她是个坏女人。嗯,这么绝望的激情有什么意义呢? —

It was all to show herself something out of the way. Well, and that she did do. —
全是为了显示自己与众不同。可是,她确实做到了。 —

She brought herself to ruin and two good men–her husband and my unhappy son.”
她自己陷入了困境,还有两个好男人──她的丈夫和我那不幸的儿子。

“And what did her husband do?” asked Sergey Ivanovitch.
“她丈夫怎么办?”谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇问道。

“He has taken her daughter. Alexey was ready to agree to anything at first. —
“他带走了她的女儿。一开始阿列克谢对什么都愿意答应。” —

Now it worries him terribly that he should have given his own child away to another man. —
现在他非常担心自己把自己的孩子给了另一个男人。 —

But he can’t take back his word. Karenin came to the funeral. —
但他不能收回他的话。卡雷宁来参加了葬礼。 —

But we tried to prevent his meeting Alexey. For him, for her husband, it was easier, anyway. —
但我们试图阻止他见到阿列克谢。对他和她的丈夫来说,这样更容易。 —

She had set him free. But my poor son was utterly given up to her. —
她释放了他。但我可怜的儿子完全属于她。 —

He had thrown up everything, his career, me, and even then she had no mercy on him, but of set purpose she made his ruin complete. —
他放弃了一切,他的职业,我,甚至她都没有怜悯他,而是故意让他彻底毁灭。 —

No, say what you will, her very death was the death of a vile woman, of no religious feeling. —
不管你说什么,她的死都是一个邪恶女人的死,没有宗教感。 —

God forgive me, but I can’t help hating the memory of her, when I look at my son’s misery!”
上帝原谅我,但我无法阻止讨厌她的记忆,当我看着我儿子的痛苦时!

“But how is he now?”
“但他现在怎么样了?”

“It was a blessing from Providence for us–this Servian war. —
“这场塞尔维亚战争对我们来说是上天的祝福。” —

I’m old, and I don’t understand the rights and wrongs of it, but it’s come as a providential blessing to him. —
“我年纪大了,对这场战争的是非不太明白,但对他来说,这是上天给他的恩赐。” —

Of course for me, as his mother, it’s terrible; —
“当然对我来说,作为他的母亲,这是可怕的;” —

and what’s worse, they say, ce n’est pas tres bien vu a Petersbourg. But it can’t be helped! —
“更糟糕的是,他们说,在彼得堡,这并不受欢迎。但是没办法!” —

It was the one thing that could rouse him. —
“这是唯一能激励他的事情。” —

Yashvin–a friend of his–he had lost all he had at cards and he was going to Servia. —
“亚什万——他的一个朋友——在赌博中输光了一切,他正要去塞尔维亚。” —

He came to see him and persuaded him to go. Now it’s an interest for him. —
“他去找他并说服他去。现在这是他的兴趣所在。” —

Do please talk to him a little. I want to distract his mind. He’s so low-spirited. —
“拜托你多跟他说说话。我想分散他的注意力。他心情很低落。” —

And as bad luck would have it, he has toothache too. —
“更倒霉的是,他还牙疼。” —

But he’ll be delighted to see you. Please do talk to him; —
“但是他见到你会很高兴的。请跟他说说话;” —

he’s walking up and down on that side.”
“他正在那边来回走动。”

Sergey Ivanovitch said he would be very glad to, and crossed over to the other side of the station.
谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇表示非常乐意,然后过去了站台的另一边。