When she got near the park-gate, she heard the click of the latch. —
当她走近公园大门时,她听到了闩锁的咔嗒声。 —

He was there, then, in the darkness of the wood, and had seen her!
他就在那里,站在黑暗的树林中,看见了她!

‘You are good and early,’ he said out of the dark. ‘Was everything all right?’
‘你来得真早,’他从黑暗中说道。’一切都好吗?’

‘Perfectly easy.’
‘非常顺利。’

He shut the gate quietly after her, and made a spot of light on the dark ground, showing the pallid flowers still standing there open in the night. —
她走过栅栏后,他轻轻地关上门,地上的一片光亮照在黑暗中,照出了夜晚依然敞开的苍白花朵。 —

They went on apart, in silence.
他们默默地分开走着。

‘Are you sure you didn’t hurt yourself this morning with that chair?’ she asked.
‘你刚才和那把椅子有没有受伤?’她问道。

‘No, no!’
‘没有,没有!’

‘When you had that pneumonia, what did it do to you?’
‘你得了肺炎时,身体受到了什么影响?’

‘Oh nothing! it left my heart not so strong and the lungs not so elastic. But it always does that.’
‘哦,没什么!它只是让我的心脏不那么强壮,肺活量也不那么弹性。但这种情况总是这样。’

‘And you ought not to make violent physical efforts?’
‘你不应该进行剧烈的体力劳动,对吗?’

‘Not often.’
‘不经常。’

She plodded on in an angry silence.
她愤怒地沉默着前行。

‘Did you hate Clifford?’ she said at last.
‘你恨克利福德吗?’她最后说。

‘Hate him, no! I’ve met too many like him to upset myself hating him. —
‘恨他,不!我遇到过太多像他这样的人,没必要为他而生气。 —

I know beforehand I don’t care for his sort, and I let it go at that.’
我事先就知道我不喜欢他这种人,我对此置之不理。

‘What is his sort?’
他是什么样的人?

‘Nay, you know better than I do. The sort of youngish gentleman a bit like a lady, and no balls.’
你比我更清楚。就是那种有点像女人的年轻绅士,没有男子气概。

‘What balls?’
什么男子气概?

‘Balls! A man’s balls!’
男人的男子气概!

She pondered this.
她思考了一下。

‘But is it a question of that?’ she said, a little annoyed.
但这是个问题吗?她有点生气地说。

‘You say a man’s got no brain, when he’s a fool: and no heart, when he’s mean; —
你说一个人是傻子时,说他没有大脑;说他卑鄙时,说他没有心;说他胆小时,说他没有勇气。当一个人没有男子气概时,你说他没有男人的胆量。 —

and no stomach when he’s a funker. And when he’s got none of that spunky wild bit of a man in him, you say he’s got no balls. —
这是说他有点懦弱。 —

When he’s a sort of tame.’
她思考了一下。

She pondered this.
克利福德是懦弱的吗?她问道。

‘And is Clifford tame?’ she asked.
懦弱而且可恶:像大多数这样的家伙,当你跟他们打交道时。

‘Tame, and nasty with it: like most such fellows, when you come up against ‘em.’
你认为你不懦弱吗?

‘And do you think you’re not tame?’
也许不完全!

‘Maybe not quite!’
也许不完全!

At length she saw in the distance a yellow light.
在远处她看到了一道黄光。

She stood still.
她站在原地。

‘There is a light!’ she said.
“有一道光!”她说道。

‘I always leave a light in the house,’ he said.
“我一直在屋子里点着灯。”他说道。

She went on again at his side, but not touching him, wondering why she was going with him at all.
她继续跟在他身边,但没有碰触他,不知道为什么自己要跟他走。

He unlocked, and they went in, he bolting the door behind them. —
他打开门,他们走了进去,他将门闩上。 —

As if it were a prison, she thought! The kettle was singing by the red fire, there were cups on the table.
她觉得就像是一个监狱一样!壁炉旁边正在烧着的热水壶上有杯子。

She sat in the wooden arm-chair by the fire. It was warm after the chill outside.
她坐在火炉旁的木制扶手椅上。外面的寒冷对比起来,这里很暖和。

‘I’ll take off my shoes, they are wet,’ she said.
“我要脱掉鞋子,它们都湿了。”她说道。

She sat with her stockinged feet on the bright steel fender. He went to the pantry, bringing food: —
她用袜子包裹着的脚放在闪亮的铁炉架上。他去了厨房,端来了食物:面包、黄油和压缩的腌肉。 —

bread and butter and pressed tongue. She was warm: —
她感到温暖,脱掉了外套,他把外套挂在门上。 —

she took off her coat. He hung it on the door.
“你想喝可可、茶还是咖啡?”他问道。

‘Shall you have cocoa or tea or coffee to drink?’ he asked.
她看着桌子说道:“我觉得我不想要任何东西。但是你可以吃。”

‘I don’t think I want anything,’ she said, looking at the table. ‘But you eat.’
“不了,我不在乎。我只是喂一下狗。”

‘Nay, I don’t care about it. I’ll just feed the dog.’
不客气。

He tramped with a quiet inevitability over the brick floor, putting food for the dog in a brown bowl. —
他静静地踩着砖地板,把狗食放在一个棕色的碗里。 —

The spaniel looked up at him anxiously.
那只雄性猎犬焦急地抬头望着他。

‘Ay, this is thy supper, tha nedna look as if tha wouldna get it!’ he said.
“啊,这是你的晚餐,你不必像没法得到它一样看着我!”他说道。

He set the bowl on the stairfoot mat, and sat himself on a chair by the wall, to take off his leggings and boots. —
他把碗放在楼梯脚垫上,然后坐在墙边的椅子上,脱下他的护腿和靴子。 —

The dog instead of eating, came to him again, and sat looking up at him, troubled.
狗并没有吃,而是再次走到他面前,焦虑地坐在那里看着他。

He slowly unbuckled his leggings. The dog edged a little nearer.
他慢慢地解开了护腿。狗离他更近了一点。

‘What’s amiss wi’ thee then? Art upset because there’s somebody else here? —
“你出什么事了?你因为这里还有别人而不高兴吗? —

Tha’rt a female, tha art! Go an’ eat thy supper.’
你是一只雌性狗!去吃你的晚餐吧。”

He put his hand on her head, and the bitch leaned her head sideways against him. —
他把手放在她的头上,雌狗把头斜靠在他身上。 —

He slowly, softly pulled the long silky ear.
他慢慢、轻轻地拉着她那又长又柔滑的耳朵。

‘There!’ he said. ‘There! Go an’ eat thy supper! Go!’
“好了!去吧!去吃你的晚餐!去吧!”

He tilted his chair towards the pot on the mat, and the dog meekly went, and fell to eating.
他把椅子朝垫子上的锅倾斜,雌狗温顺地走了过去,开始吃饭。

‘Do you like dogs?’ Connie asked him.
“你喜欢狗吗?”康妮问他。

‘No, not really. They’re too tame and clinging.’
“不,不太喜欢。它们太驯服而且黏人。”

He had taken off his leggings and was unlacing his heavy boots. Connie had turned from the fire. —
他脱掉了他的紧身裤,正在解开他沉重的靴子。康妮已经转身离开了火。 —

How bare the little room was! Yet over his head on the wall hung a hideous enlarged photograph of a young married couple, apparently him and a bold-faced young woman, no doubt his wife.
这个小房间是多么的空旷!然而,在他的头顶上的墙上挂着一张丑陋的放大照片,上面是一对年轻的夫妇,显然是他和一个脸皮厚的年轻女人,毫无疑问是他的妻子。

‘Is that you?’ Connie asked him.
“是你吗?”康妮问他。

He twisted and looked at the enlargement above his head.
他扭过头看着头顶上的放大照片。

‘Ay! Taken just afore we was married, when I was twenty-one.’ He looked at it impassively.
“啊!是在我们结婚之前拍的,当时我21岁。”他面无表情地看着照片。

‘Do you like it?’ Connie asked him.
“你喜欢它吗?”康妮问他。

‘Like it? No! I never liked the thing. But she fixed it all up to have it done, like.’
“喜欢它吗?不!我从来不喜欢这东西。但是她安排一切都让它拍下来了。”

He returned to pulling off his boots.
他继续脱掉他的靴子。

‘If you don’t like it, why do you keep it hanging there? —
“如果你不喜欢它,为什么还要挂在那里呢?” —

Perhaps your wife would like to have it,’ she said.
“也许你的妻子想要它,”她说。

He looked up at her with a sudden grin.
他突然咧嘴一笑地抬起头看着她。

‘She carted off iverything as was worth taking from th’ ‘ouse,’ he said. ‘But she left that!’
“她带走了值得拿走的一切从房子里,”他说。”但是她留下了那个!”

‘Then why do you keep it? for sentimental reasons?’
“那你为什么还要保留它?出于情感原因吗?”

‘Nay, I niver look at it. I hardly knowed it wor theer. It’s bin theer sin’ we come to this place.’
“那个,我从来不看它。我几乎都忘了它在那儿。自从我们来到这个地方以来,它就一直在那里。”

‘Why don’t you burn it?’ she said.
“你为什么不把它烧了?”她说。

He twisted round again and looked at the enlarged photograph. —
他再次扭过身去,看着那张放大的照片。 —

It was framed in a brown-and-gilt frame, hideous. —
它被装在一个棕色和镀金的框架里,丑陋至极。 —

It showed a clean-shaven, alert, very young-looking man in a rather high collar, and a somewhat plump, bold young woman with hair fluffed out and crimped, and wearing a dark satin blouse.
照片里展示了一位干净剃过的、机敏的、看起来非常年轻的男子,他戴着一只相对高领的衬衣,还有一位略微丰满、大胆的年轻女人,她的头发蓬松而卷曲,穿着一件深色的缎子衬衫。

‘It wouldn’t be a bad idea, would it?’ he said.
“这样做也不是个坏主意,对吗?”他说。

He had pulled off his boots, and put on a pair of slippers. —
他脱掉了靴子,换上了一双拖鞋。 —

He stood up on the chair, and lifted down the photograph. —
他站在椅子上,取下了照片。 —

It left a big pale place on the greenish wall-paper.
在墙纸上留下了一个大而苍白的地方。

‘No use dusting it now,’ he said, setting the thing against the wall.
“现在没必要清洁它了。”他说着把东西放在了墙边。

He went to the scullery, and returned with hammer and pincers. —
他走到洗碗间,拿回了锤子和钳子。 —

Sitting where he had sat before, he started to tear off the back-paper from the big frame, and to pull out the sprigs that held the backboard in position, working with the immediate quiet absorption that was characteristic of him.
他坐在他之前坐过的地方,开始撕下大画框的背纸,并取下固定背板的托簧,专注而安静地工作着,这是他的一贯特点。

He soon had the nails out: then he pulled out the backboards, then the enlargement itself, in its solid white mount. —
很快,他把钉子拔了出来,然后拆下背板,再拆下实心白色画框里的放大照片。 —

He looked at the photograph with amusement.
他愉快地看着照片。

‘Shows me for what I was, a young curate, and her for what she was, a bully,’ he said. —
“这张照片展现了我当时的模样,一个年轻的牧师,以及她的模样,一个恶霸,”他说。 —

‘The prig and the bully!’
“一副做作的孩子和一个恶霸!”

‘Let me look!’ said Connie.
“让我看看!”康妮说。

He did look indeed very clean-shaven and very clean altogether, one of the clean young men of twenty years ago. —
的确,照片里的他看起来非常干净,无论是胡须还是整体都是如此,就像二十年前的清爽年轻人。 —

But even in the photograph his eyes were alert and dauntless. —
但即使在照片里,他的眼睛仍然警觉而无畏。 —

And the woman was not altogether a bully, though her jowl was heavy. —
这个女人并不完全是一个恶霸,尽管她有些下巴下垂。 —

There was a touch of appeal in her.
她还有一丝悲求的意味。

‘One never should keep these things,’ said Connie. —
“一个人从来不应该保存这些东西,”康妮说。 —

‘That one shouldn’t! One should never have them made!’
“确实不应该!一个人永远不应该制作这些!”

He broke the cardboard photograph and mount over his knee, and when it was small enough, put it on the fire.
他用膝盖将硬纸板照片和底座一分为二,当变得足够小时,将其放入火中。

‘It’ll spoil the fire though,’ he said.
“这样会破坏火势,”他说道。

The glass and the backboard he carefully took upstairs.
他小心地将玻璃和背板带上楼。

The frame he knocked asunder with a few blows of the hammer, making the stucco fly. —
他用锤子敲碎了相框,使灰泥四溅。 —

Then he took the pieces into the scullery.
然后他把碎片带进了洗碗间。

‘We’ll burn that tomorrow,’ he said. ‘There’s too much plaster-moulding on it.’
“明天我们会把它烧掉,”他说道。“上面的灰泥花太多了。”

Having cleared away, he sat down.
收拾完毕后,他坐下来。

‘Did you love your wife?’ she asked him.
“你爱你的妻子吗?”她问道。

‘Love?’ he said. ‘Did you love Sir Clifford?’
“爱?”他说。“你爱克利福德爵士吗?”

But she was not going to be put off.
但她不打算被打发了。

‘But you cared for her?’ she insisted.
“但你关心她吧?”她坚持道。

‘Cared?’ He grinned.
“关心?”他咧嘴一笑。

‘Perhaps you care for her now,’ she said.
“也许你现在还关心她,”她说道。

‘Me!’ His eyes widened. ‘Ah no, I can’t think of her,’ he said quietly.
“我!”他的眼睛睁大。“哦不,我不能想她。”他静静地说道。

‘Why?’
“为什么?”

But he shook his head.
但他摇了摇头。

‘Then why don’t you get a divorce? She’ll come back to you one day,’ said Connie.
康妮说:“那你为什么不离婚呢?她总有一天会回到你身边。”

He looked up at her sharply.
他急切地抬起头看着她。

‘She wouldn’t come within a mile of me. She hates me a lot worse than I hate her.’
“她不会靠近我一英里。她恨我比我恨她还要深。”

‘You’ll see she’ll come back to you.’
“你会看到她会回到你身边的。”

‘That she never will. That’s done! It would make me sick to see her.’
“她永远不会。已经结束了!看到她我会恶心的。”

‘You will see her. And you’re not even legally separated, are you?’
“你会见到她的。而且你们甚至还没有法律上的分居,对吧?”

‘No.’
“是的。”

‘Ah well, then she’ll come back, and you’ll have to take her in.’
“嗯,那么她会回来的,而且你将不得不接纳她。”

He gazed at Connie fixedly. Then he gave the queer toss of his head.
他盯着康妮看了一会儿,然后奇怪地摇了摇头。

‘You might be right. I was a fool ever to come back here. —
“也许你说的对。我真是个傻瓜,回到这里来。” —

But I felt stranded and had to go somewhere. A man’s a poor bit of a wastrel blown about. —
“但我感到孤立无援,必须去某个地方。一个男人就像一个被吹来吹去的可怜人。” —

But you’re right. I’ll get a divorce and get clear. —
“但你说的对。我会离婚,解脱出来。” —

I hate those things like death, officials and courts and judges. —
“我最痛恨像死亡一样的东西,官员、法庭和法官。” —

But I’ve got to get through with it. I’ll get a divorce.’
“但我必须处理完这些。我会离婚的。”

And she saw his jaw set. Inwardly she exulted. ‘I think I will have a cup of tea now,’ she said. —
她看到他紧咬着嘴唇,心里感到非常高兴。”我想现在喝杯茶,”她说道。 —

He rose to make it. But his face was set. —
他起身去准备。但他的表情很严肃。 —

As they sat at table she asked him:
他们坐在桌旁,她问他:

‘Why did you marry her? She was commoner than yourself. —
“你为什么娶她?她不如你自己出身高贵。 —

Mrs Bolton told me about her. She could never understand why you married her.’
“Bolton夫人告诉我关于她。她从来没能理解你为什么娶她。

He looked at her fixedly.
他目不转睛地看着她。

‘I’ll tell you,’ he said. ‘The first girl I had, I began with when I was sixteen. —
“我告诉你,”他说道。”我从十六岁开始就有了第一个女孩。 —

She was a school-master’s daughter over at Ollerton, pretty, beautiful really. —
“她是Ollerton的一位学校教师的女儿,漂亮,实际上是美丽的。 —

I was supposed to be a clever sort of young fellow from Sheffield Grammar School, with a bit of French and German, very much up aloft. —
“我被认为是一个聪明的年轻人,来自谢菲尔德文法学校,有点法语和德语,非常自信。 —

She was the romantic sort that hated commonness. She egged me on to poetry and reading: —
“她是喜欢浪漫的人,讨厌平庸。她鼓励我写诗和阅读: —

in a way, she made a man of me. I read and I thought like a house on fire, for her. —
“在某种程度上,她塑造了我这个人。为了她,我读书思考得飞快。 —

And I was a clerk in Butterley offices, thin, white-faced fellow fuming with all the things I read. —
“那时候我是巴特利办公室的一名文员,瘦弱、面色苍白,充满读过的所有东西的怒火。 —

And about everything I talked to her: but everything. —
“关于一切,我都和她谈论:每一件事情。 —

We talked ourselves into Persepolis and Timbuctoo. —
我们自己谈论着波斯波利斯和廷布图。 —

We were the most literary-cultured couple in ten counties. —
我们是十个县中最有文学修养的一对夫妻。 —

I held forth with rapture to her, positively with rapture. I simply went up in smoke. —
我兴奋地向她讲述,绝对是兴奋。我简直飘飘然。 —

And she adored me. The serpent in the grass was sex. She somehow didn’t have any; —
而她崇拜我。长满草的蛇就是性。她似乎没有; —

at least, not where it’s supposed to be. I got thinner and crazier. —
至少不在它应该在的地方。我变得越来越瘦,越来越疯狂。 —

Then I said we’d got to be lovers. I talked her into it, as usual. So she let me. —
然后我说我们必须成为情人。像往常一样,我说服了她。所以她同意了。 —

I was excited, and she never wanted it. She just didn’t want it. —
我兴奋,而她从来没有渴望过。她只是不想要。 —

She adored me, she loved me to talk to her and kiss her: in that way she had a passion for me. —
她崇拜我,她喜欢我和她说话和亲吻她:以那种方式,她对我有热情。 —

But the other, she just didn’t want. And there are lots of women like her. —
但是另一个,她只是不想要。而且有很多女人都像她一样。 —

And it was just the other that I did want. So there we split. I was cruel, and left her. —
而我正是想要另一个。所以我们分手了。我很残忍,离开了她。 —

Then I took on with another girl, a teacher, who had made a scandal by carrying on with a married man and driving him nearly out of his mind. —
然后我和另一个女孩在一起,她是一位教师,曾因与已婚男子有染而引起了丑闻,几乎让他发疯。 —

She was a soft, white-skinned, soft sort of a woman, older than me, and played the fiddle. —
她是一位皮肤白皙的温柔女人,比我年长,会拉小提琴。 —

And she was a demon. She loved everything about love, except the sex. —
而她是个恶魔。她热爱爱情的一切,除了性。 —

Clinging, caressing, creeping into you in every way: —
她紧紧地依偎、亲昵,以各种方式渗透进你身体里。 —

but if you forced her to the sex itself, she just ground her teeth and sent out hate. —
但是如果你逼迫她进行性行为,她只会咬紧牙关并发出憎恨的情绪。 —

I forced her to it, and she could simply numb me with hate because of it. —
我逼迫她这么做,她只会用憎恨让我感到麻木。 —

So I was balked again. I loathed all that. —
所以,我再次受挫。我讨厌那一切。 —

I wanted a woman who wanted me, and wanted it.
我希望找一个想要我、想要性的女人。

‘Then came Bertha Coutts. They’d lived next door to us when I was a little lad, so I knew ‘em all right. —
接下来出现了柏莎·考茨。她们家住在我小时候的隔壁,所以我对她们很熟悉。 —

And they were common. Well, Bertha went away to some place or other in Birmingham; —
他们家很普通。柏莎去了伯明翰的某个地方; —

she said, as a lady’s companion; everybody else said, as a waitress or something in a hotel. —
她说自己是一位女士的陪同;其他人说她是个酒店的服务员之类的。 —

Anyhow just when I was more than fed up with that other girl, when I was twenty-one, back comes Bertha, with airs and graces and smart clothes and a sort of bloom on her: —
无论如何,就在我对那个其他女孩已经感到厌倦的时候,当我二十一岁时,柏莎回来了,带着一副自以为是的模样,一身时尚的衣服和一种特别的光彩。 —

a sort of sensual bloom that you’d see sometimes on a woman, or on a trolly. —
一种某种程度上的性感绽放,有时会在女人身上看到,或在运输车上。 —

Well, I was in a state of murder. I chucked up my job at Butterley because I thought I was a weed, clerking there: —
嗯,我当时杀人倾向很重。我辞掉了巴特利的工作,因为我觉得自己是个弱者,在那里当职员: —

and I got on as overhead blacksmith at Tevershall: shoeing horses mostly. —
我后来成为了特沃斯霍尔的高架铁匠:主要是给马铆制马蹄铁。 —

It had been my dad’s job, and I’d always been with him. It was a job I liked: handling horses: —
这是我父亲的工作,我一直和他在一起。我很喜欢这个工作:和马打交道: —

and it came natural to me. So I stopped talking “fine”, as they call it, talking proper English, and went back to talking broad. —
这对我来说很自然。所以我不再说“好”,就像他们所说的,不再说正确的英语,而是开始说起乡土口音来。 —

I still read books, at home: but I blacksmithed and had a pony-trap of my own, and was My Lord Duckfoot. —
我还是会在家里读书:但我铁匠活并且有自己的马车,是我主人鸭脚。 —

My dad left me three hundred pounds when he died. —
我父亲去世时留给我三百英镑。 —

So I took on with Bertha, and I was glad she was common. I wanted her to be common. —
所以我和伯莎在一起,我很高兴她很普通。我希望她是普通人。 —

I wanted to be common myself. Well, I married her, and she wasn’t bad. —
我也希望自己普通。好吧,我和她结婚,她人还不错。 —

Those other “pure” women had nearly taken all the balls out of me, but she was all right that way. —
那些其他“纯洁”的女人差点把我榨干了,但她在这方面还不错。 —

She wanted me, and made no bones about it. And I was as pleased as punch. That was what I wanted: —
她想要我,毫不掩饰。我高兴得很。那正是我想要的:一个希望我与她做爱的女人。所以我和她做爱得很尽兴。 —

a woman who wanted me to fuck her. So I fucked her like a good un. —
我觉得她有点看不起我,因为我对此感到高兴,并有时为她端来早餐。 —

And I think she despised me a bit, for being so pleased about it, and bringin’ her her breakfast in bed sometimes. —
她有点懒散,我下班回家后没有给我准备好正餐,如果我说什么,她就会对我发脾气。 —

She sort of let things go, didn’t get me a proper dinner when I came home from work, and if I said anything, flew out at me. —
我也会反击,你敢怒我,我就怒你。她朝我扔了一个杯子,我就捏住她的脖子把她掐死。 —

And I flew back, hammer and tongs. She flung a cup at me and I took her by the scruff of the neck and squeezed the life out of her. —
这样的事情发生过!但她对我傲慢无礼。 —

That sort of thing! But she treated me with insolence. —
她渐渐变得不再满足我的需要:从来不肯满足我。从来! —

And she got so’s she’d never have me when I wanted her: never. —
总是拒绝我,残忍至极。然后当我不再想要她时,她就会变得温柔可爱,勾引我。 —

Always put me off, brutal as you like. And then when she’d put me right off, and I didn’t want her, she’d come all lovey-dovey, and get me. —
我总是会去的。但当我满足了她,她就不会在我满足后离开。从来都不会!她只会等着。 —

And I always went. But when I had her, she’d never come off when I did. Never! She’d just wait. —
如果我忍住半个小时,她就会忍更久。 —

If I kept back for half an hour, she’d keep back longer. —
她永远不会在我完成后停下来。永远!她只会等待。 —

And when I’d come and really finished, then she’d start on her own account, and I had to stop inside her till she brought herself off, wriggling and shouting, she’d clutch clutch with herself down there, an’ then she’d come off, fair in ecstasy. —
当我完事后,她就开始做自己的事了,我只能在她里面停下来等她高潮,她会扭动着尖叫,用她下面猛烈地抓住自己,然后她会达到高潮,痛并快乐着。 —

And then she’d say: That was lovely! Gradually I got sick of it: and she got worse. —
她越来越难达到高潮,她会在那里撕扯我,就像一只鸟嘴在撕扯我一样,让我感到恶心。 —

She sort of got harder and harder to bring off, and she’d sort of tear at me down there, as if it was a beak tearing at me. —
真他妈的,你以为女人下面很柔软,像无花果一样。 —

By God, you think a woman’s soft down there, like a fig. —
但我告诉你,老女人的腿间有一张嘴,它会用它撕扯你,直到你恶心为止。 —

But I tell you the old rampers have beaks between their legs, and they tear at you with it till you’re sick. —
自己!自己!自己!只顾自己的事!扭动和尖叫! —

Self! Self! Self! all self! tearing and shouting! —
他们谈论男人的自私,但我怀疑他们是否能够理解一个女人在陷入那种境地后的盲目自私。 —

They talk about men’s selfishness, but I doubt if it can ever touch a woman’s blind beakishness, once she’s gone that way. —
就像一个老妓女!她无法控制。我告诉过她,我告诉她我讨厌这样。 —

Like an old trull! And she couldn’t help it. I told her about it, I told her how I hated it. —
她甚至会尝试。她会试着躺着让我做这件事。她会试。 —

And she’d even try. She’d try to lie still and let me work the business. She’d try. —
然后她会说:太美妙了!渐渐地,我对此感到厌烦了:而她却变得更糟。 —

But it was no good. She got no feeling off it, from my working. —
但这没有用。她从我的工作中得不到任何感觉。 —

She had to work the thing herself, grind her own coffee. —
她必须亲自操作这个东西,磨自己的咖啡。 —

And it came back on her like a raving necessity, she had to let herself go, and tear, tear, tear, as if she had no sensation in her except in the top of her beak, the very outside top tip, that rubbed and tore. —
这像一种疯狂的必要性回到了她身上,她不得不放手,撕咬,撕咬,彷佛她除了喙的尖端,最外面的尖端之外没有任何感觉。 —

That’s how old whores used to be, so men used to say. —
那是娼妇们过去的模样,男人们说。 —

It was a low kind of self-will in her, a raving sort of self-will: like in a woman who drinks. —
这是她的一种低级的自我意愿,一种疯狂的自我意愿:就像一个喝酒的女人。 —

Well in the end I couldn’t stand it. We slept apart. —
最后我受不了了。我们睡分房。 —

She herself had started it, in her bouts when she wanted to be clear of me, when she said I bossed her. —
是她自己开始的,在她想摆脱我的时候,她说我管她。 —

She had started having a room for herself. —
她自己开始给自己留个房间。 —

But the time came when I wouldn’t have her coming to my room. I wouldn’t.
但有一天我不想让她来我房间。我不想。

‘I hated it. And she hated me. My God, how she hated me before that child was born! —
“我讨厌它。而且她恨我。天哪,她在那个孩子出生之前多么恨我! —

I often think she conceived it out of hate. Anyhow, after the child was born I left her alone. —
我经常想她是出于恨意怀孕的。无论如何,在孩子出生后我离开了她一个人。 —

And then came the war, and I joined up. And I didn’t come back till I knew she was with that fellow at Stacks Gate.
然后战争爆发了,我参军了。直到我知道她跟那个人在Stacks Gate在一起之前,我才回来。

He broke off, pale in the face.
他突然停下来,脸色苍白。

‘And what is the man at Stacks Gate like?’ asked Connie.
“Stacks Gate那个人长得什么样子?”康妮问。

‘A big baby sort of fellow, very low-mouthed. She bullies him, and they both drink.’
“他是个有点像大婴儿的人,嘴巴很低。她欺负他,他们两个都喝酒。”

‘My word, if she came back!’
“天啊,如果她回来了!”

‘My God, yes! I should just go, disappear again.’
“我的天,是的!我会立刻离开,再次消失。”

There was a silence. The pasteboard in the fire had turned to grey ash.
屋子里陷入了沉默,火中的纸板已经变成了灰色的灰烬。

‘So when you did get a woman who wanted you,’ said Connie, ‘you got a bit too much of a good thing.’
“所以当你找到一个想要你的女人时,”康妮说道,”你得到了一点太美好的东西。”

‘Ay! Seems so! Yet even then I’d rather have her than the never-never ones: —
“是的!似乎是这样!即使那时候,我宁愿拥有她,也不要其他的虚幻之爱: —

the white love of my youth, and that other poison-smelling lily, and the rest.’
我的青春中的美好爱情,以及那种带有毒味的百合花和其他的爱情。”

‘What about the rest?’ said Connie.
“其他的呢?”康妮问。

‘The rest? There is no rest. Only to my experience the mass of women are like this: —
“其他的?没有其他的。只是根据我的经验,大部分女人都是这样的: —

most of them want a man, but don’t want the sex, but they put up with it, as part of the bargain. —
她们大部分都想要男人,但不想要性爱,但是她们会忍受,因为这是交易的一部分。 —

The more old-fashioned sort just lie there like nothing and let you go ahead. —
那些更传统的女人只是躺在那里什么都不做,听任你去做。 —

They don’t mind afterwards: then they like you. —
他们之后并不介意:然后他们会喜欢你。 —

But the actual thing itself is nothing to them, a bit distasteful. Add most men like it that way. —
但对于实际的事物本身,他们并不在意,有点讨厌。多数男人喜欢这样。 —

I hate it. But the sly sort of women who are like that pretend they’re not. —
我讨厌这种情况。但那些狡猾的女人会假装他们不是这样的。 —

They pretend they’re passionate and have thrills. But it’s all cockaloopy. They make it up. —
他们假装充满激情和刺激。但那都是胡扯。他们编造出来的。 —

Then there’s the ones that love everything, every kind of feeling and cuddling and going off, every kind except the natural one. —
然后还有那些爱一切的人,喜欢任何种类的感觉、拥抱和发生关系,除了自然的。 —

They always make you go off when you’re not in the only place you should be, when you go off. —
他们总是让你在你不应该的地方发生关系时离开。 —

—Then there’s the hard sort, that are the devil to bring off at all, and bring themselves off, like my wife. —
—然后还有那些很难发生关系的人,他们自己去发生,就像我的妻子。 —

They want to be the active party.—Then there’s the sort that’s just dead inside: but dead: —
他们想成为主动方。—然后还有那些内心里完全死了的人:是死了的。 —

and they know it. Then there’s the sort that puts you out before you really “come”, and go on writhing their loins till they bring themselves off against your thighs. —
他们知道这一点。然后还有那种会在你还没有达到高潮之前就让你失望,然后在你的大腿上自己达到高潮的人。 —

But they’re mostly the Lesbian sort. It’s astonishing how Lesbian women are, consciously or unconsciously. —
但他们大多都是同性恋的。令人惊讶的是,无论是有意识还是无意识的,女同性恋者都是如此。 —

Seems to me they’re nearly all Lesbian.’
在我看来,他们几乎都是女同性恋者。

‘And do you mind?’ asked Connie.
“你介意吗?”康妮问道。

‘I could kill them. When I’m with a woman who’s really Lesbian, I fairly howl in my soul, wanting to kill her.’
“我想杀了她们。当我和真正的女同性恋者在一起时,我内心深处痛苦不堪,想要杀死她们。”

‘And what do you do?’
“那你做什么?”

‘Just go away as fast as I can.’
“尽快离开。”

‘But do you think Lesbian women any worse than homosexual men?’
“那你觉得女同性恋者比男同性恋者更糟糕吗?”

‘I do! Because I’ve suffered more from them. In the abstract, I’ve no idea. —
“是的!因为我受女同性恋者的伤害更多。抽象地说,我不知道。 —

When I get with a Lesbian woman, whether she knows she’s one or not, I see red. No, no! —
当我遇到女同性恋者,无论她们是否自知,我都会发怒。不,不! —

But I wanted to have nothing to do with any woman any more. —
但我不想再和任何女人有关系了。 —

I wanted to keep to myself: keep my privacy and my decency.’
我想独自呆着,保护我的隐私和尊严。

He looked pale, and his brows were sombre.
他脸色苍白,眉头阴郁。

‘And were you sorry when I came along?’ she asked.
“当我出现的时候,你是感到遗憾吗?”她问。

‘I was sorry and I was glad.’
“我既感到遗憾,又感到高兴。”

‘And what are you now?’
“那你现在是怎么想的?”

‘I’m sorry, from the outside: all the complications and the ugliness and recrimination that’s bound to come, sooner or later. —
很抱歉,从外面来看:所有的复杂和丑恶以及最终注定发生的相互责备。 —

That’s when my blood sinks, and I’m low. But when my blood comes up, I’m glad. I’m even triumphant. —
那时我的心情很低落。但当心情好起来时,我感到高兴。甚至是得意。 —

I was really getting bitter. I thought there was no real sex left: —
我真的开始变得愤世嫉俗。我觉得现在没有真正的性爱了: —

never a woman who’d really “come” naturally with a man: —
再也没有一个女人能真正地与男人自然地性爱: —

except black women, and somehow, well, we’re white men: —
除了黑人女性,而我们是白人男性: —

and they’re a bit like mud.’
而她们有点像泥巴。

‘And now, are you glad of me?’ she asked.
“那么,现在你对我满意吗?”她问道。

‘Yes! When I can forget the rest. When I can’t forget the rest, I want to get under the table and die.’
“是的!当我能忘记其他事情时。当我无法忘记其他事情时,我想趴在桌子下面死去。”

‘Why under the table?’
“为什么要趴在桌子下面?”

‘Why?’ he laughed. ‘Hide, I suppose. Baby!’
“为什么?”他笑了。“躲起来,我猜。宝贝!”

‘You do seem to have had awful experiences of women,’ she said.
“你似乎对女人有过糟糕的经历,”她说。

‘You see, I couldn’t fool myself. That’s where most men manage. —
“你知道,我无法欺骗自己。那是大多数男人办得到的地方。 —

They take an attitude, and accept a lie. I could never fool myself. —
他们采取一种态度,接受一个谎言。我从来无法欺骗自己。 —

I knew what I wanted with a woman, and I could never say I’d got it when I hadn’t.’
我知道我想要一个女人,如果没有得到,我就无法说我得到了。”

‘But have you got it now?’
“但是,现在你得到了吗?”

‘Looks as if I might have.’
‘看起来我可能有了。’

‘Then why are you so pale and gloomy?’
‘那你为什么面色苍白,心情忧郁?’

‘Bellyful of remembering: and perhaps afraid of myself.’
‘满腹的回忆:也许是害怕自己。’

She sat in silence. It was growing late.
她静静地坐着。时间渐晚。

‘And do you think it’s important, a man and a woman?’ she asked him.
‘你觉得男人和女人之间重要吗?’她问他。

‘For me it is. For me it’s the core of my life: if I have a right relation with a woman.’
‘对我来说重要。对我来说,这是我生命的核心:如果我和一个女人有一个正确的关系。’

‘And if you didn’t get it?’
‘如果你得不到呢?’

‘Then I’d have to do without.’
‘那我只能无所求。’

Again she pondered, before she asked:
她再次思考了一会儿,然后问道:

‘And do you think you’ve always been right with women?’
‘你觉得你一直对待女人都正确吗?’

‘God, no! I let my wife get to what she was: my fault a good deal. I spoilt her. —
‘天哪,不是!我让我的妻子变成了她现在的样子:在很大程度上是我的错。我宠坏了她。 —

And I’m very mistrustful. You’ll have to expect it. —
而且我非常不信任。你必须预料到这一点。 —

It takes a lot to make me trust anybody, inwardly. —
我对任何人都很难产生信任感,内心深处。 —

So perhaps I’m a fraud too. I mistrust. And tenderness is not to be mistaken.’
所以也许我也是个骗子。我不信任。柔情不容忽视。’

She looked at him.
她看着他。

‘You don’t mistrust with your body, when your blood comes up,’ she said. —
‘当你的血液上涌时,你不会对你的身体产生不信任,’她说。 —

‘You don’t mistrust then, do you?’
‘那时你不会不信任,是吗?’

‘No, alas! That’s how I’ve got into all the trouble. —
‘不,唉!这就是我陷入所有麻烦的原因。 —

And that’s why my mind mistrusts so thoroughly.’
这就是为什么我的心灵如此深刻的不信任。’

‘Let your mind mistrust. What does it matter!’
‘让你的心灵不信任。又有什么关系!’

The dog sighed with discomfort on the mat. The ash-clogged fire sank.
狗躺在垫子上不舒服地叹了口气。堆积的灰尘缓慢地熄灭了。

‘We are a couple of battered warriors,’ said Connie.
‘我们是一对被击倒的战士,’康妮说。

‘Are you battered too?’ he laughed. ‘And here we are returning to the fray!’
‘你也被击倒了吗?’他笑着说。 ‘而我们却又回到了战场!’

‘Yes! I feel really frightened.’
‘是啊!我感到真的很害怕。”

‘Ay!’
‘呵呵!’

He got up, and put her shoes to dry, and wiped his own and set them near the fire. —
他站了起来,把她的鞋子晾干,擦干了自己的鞋子放在火边。 —

In the morning he would grease them. He poked the ash of pasteboard as much as possible out of the fire. —
早上他会给它们涂上油脂。他尽量把火里的糊片煤渣弄出来。 —

‘Even burnt, it’s filthy,’ he said. Then he brought sticks and put them on the hob for the morning. —
‘即使烧焦了,也很脏,’他说。然后他拿来柴火,放在炉子旁边备早上用。 —

Then he went out awhile with the dog.
然后他带着狗出门一会儿。

When he came back, Connie said:
当他回来时,康妮说:

‘I want to go out too, for a minute.’
‘我也想出去一会儿。’

She went alone into the darkness. There were stars overhead. —
她独自走进黑暗中。头顶上星星闪烁。 —

She could smell flowers on the night air. —
她能闻到夜空中花香的味道。 —

And she could feel her wet shoes getting wetter again. —
她可以感觉到自己湿漉漉的鞋子更湿了。 —

But she felt like going away, right away from him and everybody.
但她感觉想要离开,远离他和所有人。

It was chilly. She shuddered, and returned to the house. He was sitting in front of the low fire.
外面很冷。她颤抖着,回到了屋子里。他正坐在炉火前。

‘Ugh! Cold!’ she shuddered.
‘啊!好冷!’她颤栗着说。

He put the sticks on the fire, and fetched more, till they had a good crackling chimneyful of blaze. —
他加了柴火,又拿了更多,直到火炉里熊熊燃烧。 —

The rippling running yellow flame made them both happy, warmed their faces and their souls.
气势熊熊的火焰使他们俩都感到开心,温暖了他们的面庞和灵魂。

‘Never mind!’ she said, taking his hand as he sat silent and remote. ‘One does one’s best.’
‘没关系!’她说着,握住他坐在那里默默的、疏远的手。’人尽人事而已。’

‘Ay!’ He sighed, with a twist of a smile.
‘嗯!’他叹息着,微微笑了一下。

She slipped over to him, and into his arms, as he sat there before the fire.
她溜过去,投入他的怀抱,他正坐在火炉前。

‘Forget then!’ she whispered. ‘Forget!’
‘忘记吧!’她低声说道。’忘记吧!’

He held her close, in the running warmth of the fire. The flame itself was like a forgetting. —
他紧紧地抱着她,在温暖的炉火中。火焰本身就像一种遗忘。 —

And her soft, warm, ripe weight! Slowly his blood turned, and began to ebb back into strength and reckless vigour again.
她的柔软、温暖、成熟的体重!他的血慢慢转变,开始涌回到力量和鲁莽的活力中。

‘And perhaps the women really wanted to be there and love you properly, only perhaps they couldn’t. —
也许是女人真的想在那里,并且真正地爱你,只是也许她们不能。 —

Perhaps it wasn’t all their fault,’ she said.
也许并不完全是她们的错,她说。

‘I know it. Do you think I don’t know what a broken-backed snake that’s been trodden on I was myself!’
我知道了。你以为我不知道我自己是个被践踏过的脊背折断的蛇!

She clung to him suddenly. She had not wanted to start all this again. —
她突然紧紧抱住他。她并不想再掀起这一切。 —

Yet some perversity had made her.
但是某种倔强让她这样做。

‘But you’re not now,’ she said. ‘You’re not that now: a broken-backed snake that’s been trodden on.’
但你现在不是了,她说。你现在不是那个被践踏过的脊背折断的蛇了。

‘I don’t know what I am. There’s black days ahead.’
我不知道我是什么。黑暗的日子即将来临。

‘No!’ she protested, clinging to him. ‘Why? Why?’
不!她抗议着紧抱着他。为什么?为什么?

‘There’s black days coming for us all and for everybody,’ he repeated with a prophetic gloom.
黑暗的日子将降临到我们和每个人身上,他以预言般的忧郁重复道。

‘No! You’re not to say it!’
不!你不能说!

He was silent. But she could feel the black void of despair inside him. —
他沉默了。但她能感觉到他内心深处的绝望的黑洞。 —

That was the death of all desire, the death of all love: —
这就是所有欲望的死亡,所有爱情的死亡。 —

this despair that was like the dark cave inside the men, in which their spirit was lost.
这种绝望就像是男人内心深处的黑暗洞穴,他们的精神在其中迷失了。

‘And you talk so coldly about sex,’ she said. —
“而你谈论性关系时却如此冷漠,”她说。 —

‘You talk as if you had only wanted your own pleasure and satisfaction.’
“你说话好像只关心你自己的快感和满足。”

She was protesting nervously against him.
她紧张地对他提出抗议。

‘Nay!’ he said. ‘I wanted to have my pleasure and satisfaction of a woman, and I never got it: —
“不!”他说,“我想要享受一个女人,但我从未得到过: —

because I could never get my pleasure and satisfaction of her unless she got hers of me at the same time. —
因为我只有在她同时得到满足时才能得到自己的快感和满足。 —

And it never happened. It takes two.’
可这从未发生过。这需要双方共同努力。”

‘But you never believed in your women. You don’t even believe really in me,’ she said.
“但你从未相信过你的女人。你甚至真的不相信我。”她说。

‘I don’t know what believing in a woman means.’
“我不知道相信一个女人意味着什么。”

‘That’s it, you see!’
“就是这样,你看!”

She still was curled on his lap. But his spirit was grey and absent, he was not there for her. —
她仍然蜷缩在他的腿上。但他的精神变得灰暗而不在她身边。 —

And everything she said drove him further.
她说的一切都使他与她的距离越来越远。

‘But what do you believe in?’ she insisted.
“但你相信什么?”她坚持问道。

‘I don’t know.’
“我不知道。”

‘Nothing, like all the men I’ve ever known,’ she said.
“像我认识的所有男人一样,什么都不相信。”她说。

They were both silent. Then he roused himself and said:
他们都保持沉默。然后他自己振作起来说:

‘Yes, I do believe in something. I believe in being warmhearted. —
“是的,我确实相信某种东西。我相信温暖的心。” —

I believe especially in being warm-hearted in love, in fucking with a warm heart. —
“我尤其相信在爱情中、在带着温暖的心去做爱。” —

I believe if men could fuck with warm hearts, and the women take it warm-heartedly, everything would come all right. —
“我相信如果男人们能够以温暖的心去做爱,女人们能够以温暖的心接受,一切都会好起来的。” —

It’s all this cold-hearted fucking that is death and idiocy.’
“就是这种冷酷无情的性交才是死亡和愚蠢。”

‘But you don’t fuck me cold-heartedly,’ she protested.
“可是你不是以冷酷无情的方式对待我。” 她抗议道。

‘I don’t want to fuck you at all. My heart’s as cold as cold potatoes just now.’
“我根本不想与你做爱。我的心此刻冷得像土豆。”

‘Oh!’ she said, kissing him mockingly. ‘Let’s have them sautées.’ He laughed, and sat erect.
“哦!” 她嘲笑地吻了他一下。“那我们把它们做成炒土豆吧。” 他笑了起来,坐直了身子。

‘It’s a fact!’ he said. ‘Anything for a bit of warm-heartedness. But the women don’t like it. —
“这是事实!” 他说。“为了一点温暖的心意,什么事都愿意做。但是女人们不喜欢。” —

Even you don’t really like it. You like good, sharp, piercing cold-hearted fucking, and then pretending it’s all sugar. —
“就连你也并不真正喜欢。” “你喜欢刺骨而犀利的无情性交,然后再假装一切都是美好的。” —

Where’s your tenderness for me? You’re as suspicious of me as a cat is of a dog. —
“你对我哪里有温情呢?你对我像猫对狗一样的怀疑。” —

I tell you it takes two even to be tender and warm-hearted. You love fucking all right: —
我告诉你,即使是体贴和热心也需要两个人。你爱操的没错: —

but you want it to be called something grand and mysterious, just to flatter your own self-importance. —
但你希望它被称为某种伟大而神秘的东西,只是为了褒扬你自己的自负。 —

Your own self-importance is more to you, fifty times more, than any man, or being together with a man.’
你自己的自负对你来说,是比任何人或跟一个人在一起更重要的,是五十倍重要的。

‘But that’s what I’d say of you. Your own self-importance is everything to you.’
但这就是我对你的看法。你自己的自负对你来说就是一切。

‘Ay! Very well then!’ he said, moving as if he wanted to rise. —
哎呀!那好吧!’他说着,动作似乎想要站起来。 —

‘Let’s keep apart then. I’d rather die than do any more cold-hearted fucking.’
那我们就保持分开吧。我宁愿死也不要再冷酷地做爱了。

She slid away from him, and he stood up.
她从他身边滑开,他站了起来。

‘And do you think I want it?’ she said.
“你以为我想要这件事?”她说道。

‘I hope you don’t,’ he replied. ‘But anyhow, you go to bed an’ I’ll sleep down here.’
“我希望你不要这样想,”他回答道。“不管怎样,你上床睡吧,我就在这里睡。”

She looked at him. He was pale, his brows were sullen, he was as distant in recoil as the cold pole. —
她看着他。他苍白,眉头阴沉,他的退缩像冷极一样遥远。 —

Men were all alike.
男人都一样。

‘I can’t go home till morning,’ she said.
“我不能一直待到早上才回家,”她说道。

‘No! Go to bed. It’s a quarter to one.’
“不,上床睡觉吧。现在已经快一点了。”

‘I certainly won’t,’ she said.
“我绝对不会,”她说道。

He went across and picked up his boots.
他走过去拿起他的靴子。

‘Then I’ll go out!’ he said.
“那我就出去!”他说道。

He began to put on his boots. She stared at him.
他开始穿上靴子。她盯着他看。

‘Wait!’ she faltered. ‘Wait! What’s come between us?’
“等等!”她结结巴巴地说道。“等等!我们之间发生了什么?”

He was bent over, lacing his boot, and did not reply. The moments passed. —
他身子弯腰系鞋带,没回答。时间过去了。 —

A dimness came over her, like a swoon. All her consciousness died, and she stood there wide-eyed, looking at him from the unknown, knowing nothing any more.
一种昏厥般的阴影笼罩了她。她的所有意识都消失了,她站在那里瞪大了眼睛,从未知的角度注视着他,一无所知。

He looked up, because of the silence, and saw her wide-eyed and lost. —
他抬起头,因为寂静,看到她茫然失措的眼神。 —

And as if a wind tossed him he got up and hobbled over to her, one shoe off and one shoe on, and took her in his arms, pressing her against his body, which somehow felt hurt right through. —
仿佛有一股风把他吹了起来,他蹒跚着走向她,一只鞋子脱了下来,另一只鞋子还在脚上,他把她拥入怀中,紧紧地贴着他的身体,但这些感受似乎穿透了他的伤痛。 —

And there he held her, and there she remained.
他牢牢地抱着她,她就这样待在他的怀里。

Till his hands reached blindly down and felt for her, and felt under the clothing to where she was smooth and warm.
直到他的手瞎摸着寻找她,在衣物下面触摸到她的柔滑和温暖。

‘Ma lass!’ he murmured. ‘Ma little lass! Dunna let’s light! Dunna let’s niver light! —
‘我的姑娘!’他低语着。’我的小姑娘!别让我们分开!别让我们永远分开! —

I love thee an’ th’ touch on thee. Dunna argue wi’ me! —
我爱你,爱上你的触感。别与我争论! —

Dunna! Dunna! Dunna! Let’s be together.’
别争论!别争论!别争论!让我们在一起吧。

She lifted her face and looked at him.
她抬起脸,看着他。

‘Don’t be upset,’ she said steadily. ‘It’s no good being upset. —
‘别难过,’她坚定地说。’难过没有任何用处。 —

Do you really want to be together with me?’
你真的想和我在一起吗?

She looked with wide, steady eyes into his face. —
她用宽阔而稳定的眼神注视着他的脸。 —

He stopped, and went suddenly still, turning his face aside. —
他停住了,突然静止下来,把脸转向一边。 —

All his body went perfectly still, but did not withdraw.
他的整个身体完全静止不动,但没有收回。

Then he lifted his head and looked into her eyes, with his odd, faintly mocking grin, saying: —
然后他抬起头,凝视着她的眼睛,带着奇怪而略带嘲弄的笑容说: —

‘Ay-ay! Let’s be together on oath.’
‘呀呀!让我们发誓要在一起。’

‘But really?’ she said, her eyes filling with tears. ‘Ay really! Heart an’ belly an’ cock.’
“但是真的吗?”她说道,眼泪在眼眶中涌动。“是真的!我的心脏和胃还有阳具。”

He still smiled faintly down at her, with the flicker of irony in his eyes, and a touch of bitterness.
他依然微笑着俯视她,眼中闪烁着一丝讽刺和一丝苦涩。

She was silently weeping, and he lay with her and went into her there on the hearthrug, and so they gained a measure of equanimity. —
她默默地哭泣着,而他与她躺在地毯上,与她在那里交合,这样他们得到了一种平静。 —

And then they went quickly to bed, for it was growing chill, and they had tired each other out. —
然后他们迅速上床睡觉,因为天气渐渐变冷,而且他们已经彼此疲惫不堪。 —

And she nestled up to him, feeling small and enfolded, and they both went to sleep at once, fast in one sleep. —
她依偎着他,感觉渺小而被包容,他们俩立刻陷入了沉睡。 —

And so they lay and never moved, till the sun rose over the wood and day was beginning.
于是他们躺在那里一动不动,直到太阳升起在树林的上方,新的一天开始。

Then he woke up and looked at the light. The curtains were drawn. —
然后他醒来看着光亮。窗帘已拉上。 —

He listened to the loud wild calling of blackbirds and thrushes in the wood. —
他聆听着树林中黑鸟和画眉鸟的嘈杂呼唤声。 —

It would be a brilliant morning, about half past five, his hour for rising. He had slept so fast! —
那天早晨一定很美好,大约五点半,是他起床的时间。他睡得如此香甜! —

It was such a new day! The woman was still curled asleep and tender. —
这是一个全新的早晨!女人依然蜷缩着入睡,显得温柔可爱。 —

His hand moved on her, and she opened her blue wondering eyes, smiling unconsciously into his face.
他的手在她身上游移,她张开了那对蓝色好奇的眼睛,不自觉地对着他微笑。

‘Are you awake?’ she said to him.
“你醒了吗?”她对他说道。

He was looking into her eyes. He smiled, and kissed her. And suddenly she roused and sat up.
他正看着她的眼睛,微笑着,接着吻上了她。突然间,她惊醒了,坐了起来。

‘Fancy that I am here!’ she said.
“竟然我们在这里!”她说着。

She looked round the whitewashed little bedroom with its sloping ceiling and gable window where the white curtains were closed. —
她环顾四周,这间白漆的小卧室,斜斜的天花板和封闭着的斜坡窗户,窗帘是白色的。 —

The room was bare save for a little yellow-painted chest of drawers, and a chair: —
屋子里只有一只小黄漆的抽屉柜和一把椅子。 —

and the smallish white bed in which she lay with him.
还有她和他睡着的那张略显狭小的白床。

‘Fancy that we are here!’ she said, looking down at him. —
“竟然我们躺在这里!”她说着,低头看着他。 —

He was lying watching her, stroking her breasts with his fingers, under the thin nightdress. —
他躺着注视着她,用手指轻抚着她穿着薄薄睡袍下的胸部。 —

When he was warm and smoothed out, he looked young and handsome. —
当他感觉温暖而平滑时,他看起来年轻而英俊。 —

His eyes could look so warm. And she was fresh and young like a flower.
他的眼睛可以看起来很温暖。她像花一样新鲜年轻。

‘I want to take this off!’ she said, gathering the thin batiste nightdress and pulling it over her head. —
“我想脱掉这个!”她说着,拿起薄薄的纱质睡衣,把它拉过头去。 —

She sat there with bare shoulders and longish breasts faintly golden. —
她坐在那里,露出光溜溜的肩膀和稍微金黄色的乳房。 —

He loved to make her breasts swing softly, like bells.
他喜欢让她的胸部轻轻晃动,像钟一样。

‘You must take off your pyjamas too,’ she said.
“你也必须脱掉睡衣。”她说。

‘Eh, nay!’
“不,不要!”

‘Yes! Yes!’ she commanded.
“是的!是的!”她命令道。

And he took off his old cotton pyjama-jacket, and pushed down the trousers. —
他脱掉了旧的棉质睡袍,拉下裤子。 —

Save for his hands and wrists and face and neck he was white as milk, with fine slender muscular flesh. —
除了手腕、脸和脖子上的部分,他白得像牛奶,有着修长而有力的肌肉。 —

To Connie he was suddenly piercingly beautiful again, as when she had seen him that afternoon washing himself.
对康妮来说,他又变得令人心醉神迷地美丽,就像那天下午她看到他在洗澡时一样。

Gold of sunshine touched the closed white curtain. She felt it wanted to come in.
阳光的金色触摸到了关上的白色帘子。她感觉它想要进来。

‘Oh, do let’s draw the curtains! The birds are singing so! Do let the sun in,’ she said.
“哦,让我们拉上窗帘吧!鸟儿们在唱歌!让太阳进来吧!”她说道。

He slipped out of bed with his back to her, naked and white and thin, and went to the window, stooping a little, drawing the curtains and looking out for a moment. —
他背对着她,赤裸、苍白而纤瘦地从床上滑落,弯下腰拉开窗帘,凝视了片刻。 —

The back was white and fine, the small buttocks beautiful with an exquisite, delicate manliness, the back of the neck ruddy and delicate and yet strong.
那背部洁白细腻,小臀呈现出精致而娇嫩的男子气概,颈后的皮肤红润而精致,同时又强壮。

There was an inward, not an outward strength in the delicate fine body.
这细腻的身体内散发出内在的力量,而非外在。

‘But you are beautiful!’ she said. ‘So pure and fine! Come!’ She held her arms out.
“但你是如此美丽!”她说道。”如此纯洁而优雅!过来!”她伸出了胳膊。

He was ashamed to turn to her, because of his aroused nakedness.
因为勃起的赤裸让他感到羞愧,所以他不敢转过身去面对她。

He caught his shirt off the floor, and held it to him, coming to her.
他拾起地上的衬衫,将它抱在怀里,走向她。

‘No!’ she said still holding out her beautiful slim arms from her dropping breasts. ‘Let me see you!’
“不!”她依然伸出了修长的胳膊,那美丽的乳房微微下垂着。”让我看看你!”

He dropped the shirt and stood still looking towards her. —
他扔下衬衫,站定了,望着她。 —

The sun through the low window sent in a beam that lit up his thighs and slim belly and the erect phallos rising darkish and hot-looking from the little cloud of vivid gold-red hair. —
阳光透过低矮的窗户照射进来,照亮了他的大腿、苗条的腹部,以及从一团鲜艳金红色的毛发中挺立起来的深色、炽热的阴茎。 —

She was startled and afraid.
她感到惊讶和害怕。

‘How strange!’ she said slowly. ‘How strange he stands there! So big! —
‘多奇怪啊!‘她慢慢地说道。’他站在那里多奇怪!多高大! —

and so dark and cock-sure! Is he like that?’
还有多黑暗和自信!他就是那样吗?

The man looked down the front of his slender white body, and laughed. —
那人低头看着自己修长苗条的身体,笑了起来。 —

Between the slim breasts the hair was dark, almost black. —
纤细的胸前,那儿的毛发是深色的,几乎是黑色的。 —

But at the root of the belly, where the phallos rose thick and arching, it was gold-red, vivid in a little cloud.
但是在肚脐根部,阴茎的地方,它是金红色的,有一小片生机盎然的云朵。

‘So proud!’ she murmured, uneasy. ‘And so lordly! Now I know why men are so overbearing! —
‘如此自豪!’她小声嘀咕着,有些不安。‘如此威严!现在我明白为什么男人总是这般专横! —

But he’s lovely, really. Like another being! A bit terrifying! But lovely really! —
但他真的很美。就像另一个生物!有点可怕!但真的很美! —

And he comes to me!—’ She caught her lower lip between her teeth, in fear and excitement.
“他来找我了!”她紧咬着下唇,既害怕又兴奋。

The man looked down in silence at the tense phallos, that did not change.—‘Ay!’ —
那个男人默默地盯着那个紧张的阳具,没有变化。“啊!” —

he said at last, in a little voice. ‘Ay ma lad! tha’re theer right enough. —
最后,他小声地说道。“啊,我的孩子!你真的在那里。 —

Yi, tha mun rear thy head! Theer on thy own, eh? an’ ta’es no count O’ nob’dy! —
你啊,你要抬起你的头!你自己在那里,对吗?你不在乎任何人! —

Tha ma’es nowt O’ me, John Thomas. Art boss? of me? —
你对我一点用都没有,约翰·托马斯。你管得了我吗? —

Eh well, tha’re more cocky than me, an’ tha says less. John Thomas! Dost want her? —
哦,你比我还要自大,还说得更少。约翰·托马斯!你想要她吗? —

Dost want my lady Jane? Tha’s dipped me in again, tha hast. Ay, an’ tha comes up smilin’. —
你想要我的简夫人吗?你把我又推到泥里了,你笑得出声。 —

—Ax ‘er then! Ax lady Jane! Say: Lift up your heads, O ye gates, that the king of glory may come in. —
—那就问问她吧!问问简夫人!说:门哪,你们要抬起头来,凡是荣耀之王就要进来。 —

Ay, th’ cheek on thee! Cunt, that’s what tha’re after. —
哦,你好大的胆子!这就是你的目的。 —

Tell lady Jane tha wants cunt. John Thomas, an’ th’ cunt O’ lady Jane!—’
告诉简夫人,你想要阴道。约翰·托马斯,还有简夫人的阴道!

‘Oh, don’t tease him,’ said Connie, crawling on her knees on the bed towards him and putting her arms round his white slender loins, and drawing him to her so that her hanging, swinging breasts touched the tip of the stirring, erect phallos, and caught the drop of moisture. —
“哦,不要戏弄他,”康妮说着,跪在床上,向他爬过去,将双臂环绕着他修长的白色腰身,把他拉近自己,让自己摇摆的乳房触碰到那勃起的阳物的尖端,并沾上那滴水滴。 —

She held the man fast.
她紧紧抓住那个男人。

‘Lie down!’ he said. ‘Lie down! Let me come!’ He was in a hurry now.
“躺下!”他说道。“躺下!让我进来!”他现在很着急。

And afterwards, when they had been quite still, the woman had to uncover the man again, to look at the mystery of the phallos.
然后,在他们彻底静止之后,这个女人又必须为了看着那神秘的阳物,再次揭开那个男人。

‘And now he’s tiny, and soft like a little bud of life!’ —
“现在他变得小小的,又像一颗小小的生命的芽!” —

she said, taking the soft small penis in her hand. ‘Isn’t he somehow lovely! —
她说着,把那软软的小阴茎放在手里。“他不是多么可爱呢!他独自一人,如此奇特!而且如此无辜!而他深入我的身体!” —

so on his own, so strange! And so innocent! And he comes so far into me! —
你们可千万不要侮辱他,知道吗?他也是我的。他不仅仅是你的。他是我的! —

You must never insult him, you know. He’s mine too. He’s not only yours. He’s mine! —
而且那么可爱,那么无辜!她握着软绵绵的阳物。 —

And so lovely and innocent!’ And she held the penis soft in her hand.
他笑了。

He laughed.
“有神圣的纽带捆绑我们的心灵,彼此相互相爱,”他说道。

‘Blest be the tie that binds our hearts in kindred love,’ he said.
“他说的是真的或者这样的编造吧。”

‘Of course!’ she said. ‘Even when he’s soft and little I feel my heart simply tied to him. —
“当然!”她说。“即使他软软的、小小的,我感觉我的心简直就和他绑在一起。” —

And how lovely your hair is here! quite, quite different!’
“你的头发在这里真漂亮!完全、完全不同!”

‘That’s John Thomas’s hair, not mine!’ he said.
“那是约翰·托马斯的头发,不是我的!”他说。

‘John Thomas! John Thomas!’ and she quickly kissed the soft penis, that was beginning to stir again.
“约翰·托马斯!约翰·托马斯!”她迅速亲吻那渐渐又开始动的柔软阴茎。

‘Ay!’ said the man, stretching his body almost painfully. —
“哎!”那男人伸展身体,几乎痛苦地。 —

‘He’s got his root in my soul, has that gentleman! An’ sometimes I don’ know what ter do wi’ him. —
“他深深扎根于我的灵魂,那位先生!有时候我简直不知道该怎么办。” —

Ay, he’s got a will of his own, an’ it’s hard to suit him. Yet I wouldn’t have him killed.’
“对啊,他有自己的意愿,很难迎合他。不过我不希望他被杀掉。”

‘No wonder men have always been afraid of him!’ she said. ‘He’s rather terrible.’
“难怪男人一直害怕他!”她说。“他相当可怕。”

The quiver was going through the man’s body, as the stream of consciousness again changed its direction, turning downwards. —
那男人的身体颤抖着,意识的洪流再次改变方向,往下转。 —

And he was helpless, as the penis in slow soft undulations filled and surged and rose up, and grew hard, standing there hard and overweening, in its curious towering fashion. —
他无助了,就像柔软的、缓慢的波动中的阴茎充满、激荡、变得坚硬,高高地耸立着,以其奇特而高大的方式。 —

The woman too trembled a little as she watched.
女人也略微颤抖着看着他。

‘There! Take him then! He’s thine,’ said the man.
“拿走他吧!他是你的。” 男人说。

And she quivered, and her own mind melted out. —
她颤抖着,她的思维消散了。 —

Sharp soft waves of unspeakable pleasure washed over her as he entered her, and started the curious molten thrilling that spread and spread till she was carried away with the last, blind flush of extremity.
锋利而柔软的快感浪涌而至,当他进入她的时候,那种奇特而熔铸的刺激感开始传播,一直蔓延直到她被带入最后的、盲目的极致。

He heard the distant hooters of Stacks Gate for seven o’clock. It was Monday morning. —
他听到Staks Gate的远处喇叭声响起,是七点钟。已经是周一早上了。 —

He shivered a little, and with his face between her breasts pressed her soft breasts up over his ears, to deafen him.
他微微颤抖着,用她的乳房把自己的脸紧贴在她胸前,把柔软的乳房压到耳朵上,以遮住声音。

She had not even heard the hooters. She lay perfectly still, her soul washed transparent.
她甚至没有听到那些喇叭声。她完全静止不动,她的灵魂被洗净得清晰透明。

‘You must get up, mustn’t you?’ he muttered.
“你得起来了,不是吗?” 他嘟囔着说。

‘What time?’ came her colourless voice.
“现在几点?” 她毫无感情的声音传来。

‘Seven-o’clock blowers a bit sin’.’
“七点的喇叭声就要响了。”

‘I suppose I must.’
“我想我必须得起来了。”

She was resenting as she always did, the compulsion from outside.
她总是对来自外界的强迫感到愤怒。

He sat up and looked blankly out of the window. —
他坐起来茫然地望着窗外。 —

‘You do love me, don’t you?’ she asked calmly. —
“你爱我,对吗?” 她平静地问道。 —

He looked down at her.
他俯视着她。

‘Tha knows what tha knows. What dost ax for!’ he said, a little fretfully.
“你知道你知道的。你要求什么?” 他有点烦躁地说道。

‘I want you to keep me, not to let me go,’ she said.
她说:“我想让你留住我,不要放开我。”

His eyes seemed full of a warm, soft darkness that could not think.
他的眼睛充满了温暖、柔软的黑暗,一片无法思考的黑暗。

‘When? Now?’
她问:“现在吗?”

‘Now in your heart. Then I want to come and live with you, always, soon.’
他说:“现在就在你的心里。然后我想和你在一起,永远,很快就会实现。”

He sat naked on the bed, with his head dropped, unable to think.
他赤裸着坐在床上,低着头,无法思考。

‘Don’t you want it?’ she asked.
她问:“你不想要吗?”

‘Ay!’ he said.
他回答:“想!”

Then with the same eyes darkened with another flame of consciousness, almost like sleep, he looked at her.
然后他用一双同样被另一种意识的火焰昏暗了的眼睛,几乎像沉睡一样地看着她。

‘Dunna ax me nowt now,’ he said. ‘Let me be. I like thee. I luv thee when tha lies theer. —
“现在别问我什么,”他说。“让我静一会。我喜欢你。当你躺在那里时我爱你。 —

A woman’s a lovely thing when ‘er’s deep ter fuck, and cunt’s good. —
当一个女人真诚地做爱时,她是多么美丽,阴户也是美好的。 —

Ah luv thee, thy legs, an’ th’ shape on thee, an’ th’ womanness on thee. —
我爱你,你的双腿、你的曲线和你身上的女性特质。 —

Ah luv th’ womanness on thee. Ah luv thee wi’ my bas an’ wi’ my heart. But dunna ax me nowt. —
我爱你身上的女性特质。我用我的身体和心灵来爱你。但是别问我什么。 —

Dunna ma’e me say nowt. Let me stop as I am while I can. —
别让我说出来。让我保持现状,只要我还能。 —

Tha can ax me iverything after. Now let me be, let me be!’
你可以随后问我任何事。现在让我静一会,静一会!

And softly, he laid his hand over her mound of Venus, on the soft brown maiden-hair, and himself-sat still and naked on the bed, his face motionless in physical abstraction, almost like the face of Buddha. —
温柔地,他的手放在她的维纳斯丘陵上,沉浸在柔软的棕色小蕨中。他自己赤身裸体地坐在床上,他的脸在物质的抽象中静止不动,几乎像佛陀的脸一样。 —

Motionless, and in the invisible flame of another consciousness, he sat with his hand on her, and waited for the turn.
静止不动,他坐在她身上,手放在她身上,等待着变化。

After a while, he reached for his shirt and put it on, dressed himself swiftly in silence, looked at her once as she still lay naked and faintly golden like a Gloire de Dijon rose on the bed, and was gone. —
过了一会儿,他伸手拿起衬衫穿上,静静地迅速穿好,只看了她一眼,她还赤裸着,像一朵微黄的戴翰球玫瑰盛放在床上,然后他消失了。 —

She heard him downstairs opening the door.
她听见他楼下打开门的声音。

And still she lay musing, musing. It was very hard to go: to go out of his arms. —
她依然躺在那里沉思,沉思。离开他的怀抱很困难。 —

He called from the foot of the stairs: ‘Half past seven!’ She sighed, and got out of bed. —
他从楼梯脚下喊道:“七点半了!”她叹了口气,从床上起来。 —

The bare little room! Nothing in it at all but the small chest of drawers and the smallish bed. —
这个空旷的小房间!一无所有,只有一个小抽屉柜和一张普通大小的床。 —

But the board floor was scrubbed clean. And in the corner by the window gable was a shelf with some books, and some from a circulating library. —
但是地板是擦得干干净净的。在靠窗口的角落有一个架子,上面放着一些书,还有一些是来自流通图书馆的。 —

She looked. There were books about Bolshevist Russia, books of travel, a volume about the atom and the electron, another about the composition of the earth’s core, and the causes of earthquakes: —
她看了看。那里有关于布尔什维克俄国的书,旅行书,一本关于原子和电子的书,另一本关于地球核心构成和地震原因的书。 —

then a few novels: then three books on India. So! —
然后是几本小说,接着是三本关于印度的书。这样! —

He was a reader after all.
原来他是个读书人。

The sun fell on her naked limbs through the gable window. —
太阳透过山墙的窗户照在她赤裸的肢体上。 —

Outside she saw the dog Flossie roaming round. —
她看到外面的狗弗洛西在周围漫游。 —

The hazel-brake was misted with green, and dark-green dogs-mercury under. —
山毛榉丛林中笼罩着绿色的薄雾,而黑绿色的虎耳草在下面生长。 —

It was a clear clean morning with birds flying and triumphantly singing. If only she could stay! —
清澈而洁净的早晨,鸟儿飞翔着,欢快地歌唱。如果她能够留下来就好了! —

If only there weren’t the other ghastly world of smoke and iron! —
要是没有其他那个可怕的充满烟雾和铁的世界该多好啊! —

If only he would make her a world.
要是他能够给她创造一个世界就好了。

She came downstairs, down the steep, narrow wooden stairs. —
她走下楼来,沿着陡峭而狭窄的木楼梯。 —

Still she would be content with this little house, if only it were in a world of its own.
她仍然会满足于这个小房子,只要它在一个属于自己的世界里。

He was washed and fresh, and the fire was burning. ‘Will you eat anything?’ he said.
他洗过澡,穿着整齐,火炉正燃烧着。“你想吃点什么吗?”他问道。

‘No! Only lend me a comb.’
“不!只是借我一个梳子。”

She followed him into the scullery, and combed her hair before the handbreadth of mirror by the back door. —
她跟着他走进洗碗房,在后门旁边的小小镜子前梳理着她的头发。 —

Then she was ready to go.
然后她准备好要走了。

She stood in the little front garden, looking at the dewy flowers, the grey bed of pinks in bud already.
她站在小前花园里,看着露水滴着的花朵,已经冒出花骨朵的灰色床。

‘I would like to have all the rest of the world disappear,’ she said, ‘and live with you here.’
“我希望所有其他的世界都消失不见,只与你在这里生活。”

‘It won’t disappear,’ he said.
“它不会消失的。”他说道。

They went almost in silence through the lovely dewy wood. —
他们几乎在寂静中穿过美丽的露水森林。 —

But they were together in a world of their own.
但是他们在一个属于他们自己的世界里在一起。

It was bitter to her to go on to Wragby.
对她来说,继续前往Wragby是痛苦的。

‘I want soon to come and live with you altogether,’ she said as she left him.
“我想很快就会完全和你在一起生活。”她离开时说道。

He smiled, unanswering.
他微笑着,不作答。

She got home quietly and unremarked, and went up to her room.
她平静而不引人注目地回到了家,上楼去了她的房间。