There was a letter from Hilda on the breakfast-tray. —
早餐盘上有一封希尔达的信。 —

‘Father is going to London this week, and I shall call for you on Thursday week, June 17th. —
“爸爸这周要去伦敦,我会在6月17日,星期四一周后去接你。 —

You must be ready so that we can go at once. —
你必须准备好,这样我们就可以立即出发。 —

I don’t want to waste time at Wragby, it’s an awful place. —
我不想浪费时间在莱格比,那个地方真可怕。 —

I shall probably stay the night at Retford with the Colemans, so I should be with you for lunch, Thursday. —
我可能会在瑞特福德和科尔曼一家住一晚,所以星期四到你那里时会是午餐时间。 —

Then we could start at teatime, and sleep perhaps in Grantham. —
然后我们可以在下午茶时间出发,或许在格兰瑟姆过夜。 —

It is no use our spending an evening with Clifford. —
我们没必要在克利福德身边度过一个晚上。 —

If he hates your going, it would be no pleasure to him.’
如果他讨厌你去的话,对他来说也不会是什么快乐。

So! She was being pushed round on the chess-board again.
噢!她又被推到了国际象棋棋盘上。

Clifford hated her going, but it was only because he didn’t feel safe in her absence. —
克利福德讨厌她离开,但只是因为在她不在身边他觉得不安全。 —

Her presence, for some reason, made him feel safe, and free to do the things he was occupied with. —
由于某种原因,她的存在让他感到安全,并且自由地做他忙于的事情。 —

He was a great deal at the pits, and wrestling in spirit with the almost hopeless problems of getting out his coal in the most economical fashion and then selling it when he’d got it out. —
他在矿井里呆的时间很多,与那些几乎无望的问题斗争,如何以最经济的方式取出煤炭,然后在取出后将其销售出去。 —

He knew he ought to find some way of using it, or converting it, so that he needn’t sell it, or needn’t have the chagrin of failing to sell it. —
他知道自己应该找到一种方法来利用它,或者将其转化,这样他就不必出售它,也不必因未能出售而感到失望。 —

But if he made electric power, could he sell that or use it? —
但是如果他生产电力,他能卖掉还是能用来干什么呢? —

And to convert into oil was as yet too costly and too elaborate. —
而转化为石油的成本和复杂程度都太高了。 —

To keep industry alive there must be more industry, like a madness.
为了保持工业的生机,必须有更多的工业,就像一种疯狂。

It was a madness, and it required a madman to succeed in it. Well, he was a little mad. —
这是一种疯狂,需要一个疯子成功。嗯,他有点疯狂。 —

Connie thought so. His very intensity and acumen in the affairs of the pits seemed like a manifestation of madness to her, his very inspirations were the inspirations of insanity.
康妮这样认为。他在矿井事务上的极度强烈和敏锐似乎对她来说就像是疯狂的表现,他的灵感也是疯狂的灵感。

He talked to her of all his serious schemes, and she listened in a kind of wonder, and let him talk. —
他向她谈论他所有的重要计划,而她则惊奇地倾听着,任他说。 —

Then the flow ceased, and he turned on the loudspeaker, and became a blank, while apparently his schemes coiled on inside him like a kind of dream.
然后,他停止了讲话,打开了扩音器,变成了一片空白,而他的计划似乎在他内心里像一种梦一样盘旋着。

And every night now he played pontoon, that game of the Tommies, with Mrs Bolton, gambling with sixpences. —
现在每晚他都与博尔顿夫人玩起了庄家角斗,这是汤米们玩的游戏,用六便士赌博。 —

And again, in the gambling he was gone in a kind of unconsciousness, or blank intoxication, or intoxication of blankness, whatever it was. —
再次,在赌博中他陷入了一种无意识的状态,或者说是空白的迷醉状态,或者说是空虚的迷醉状态,无论是什么都可以。 —

Connie could not bear to see him. But when she had gone to bed, he and Mrs Bolton would gamble on till two and three in the morning, safely, and with strange lust. —
康妮无法忍受看到他。但是在她上床睡觉后,他和鲍尔顿夫人会安全地赌博到凌晨两三点钟,并且带着奇怪的欲望。 —

Mrs Bolton was caught in the lust as much as Clifford: —
鲍尔顿夫人被欲望牵扯其中,就像克利福德一样。 —

the more so, as she nearly always lost.
尤其是她几乎总是输钱。

She told Connie one day: ‘I lost twenty-three shillings to Sir Clifford last night.’
有一天她告诉康妮:“昨晚我输给了克利福德爵士23先令。”

‘And did he take the money from you?’ asked Connie aghast.
康妮惊讶地问道:“他从你那里拿走了钱吗?”

‘Why of course, my Lady! Debt of honour!’
鲍尔顿夫人回答:“当然了,我夫人!欠债要偿!”

Connie expostulated roundly, and was angry with both of them. —
康妮坚决提出抗议,并对他们两人生气。 —

The upshot was, Sir Clifford raised Mrs Bolton’s wages a hundred a year, and she could gamble on that. —
结果是,克利福德爵士每年给鲍尔顿夫人加薪一百先令,这样她就可以在赌博上花钱了。 —

Meanwhile, it seemed to Connie, Clifford was really going deader.
与此同时,康妮觉得克利福德真的变得更加死气沉沉。

She told him at length she was leaving on the seventeenth.
她最终告诉他她将于17号离开。

‘Seventeenth!’ he said. ‘And when will you be back?’
他说:“17号!那你什么时候回来?”

‘By the twentieth of July at the latest.’
她回答:“最晚7月20号。”

‘Yes! the twentieth of July.’
‘是的!七月二十日。’

Strangely and blankly he looked at her, with the vagueness of a child, but with the queer blank cunning of an old man.
他奇怪而茫然地看着她,眼神像个孩子一样模糊,却又像个老人一样带着一丝奇怪的狡猾。

‘You won’t let me down, now, will you?’ he said.
‘你不会让我失望,对吧?’他说。

‘How?’
‘怎么了?’

‘While you’re away, I mean, you’re sure to come back?’
‘当你离开的时候,我是说,你肯定会回来吧?’

‘I’m as sure as I can be of anything, that I shall come back.’
‘我能确定的是,无论何事,我都会回来的。’

‘Yes! Well! Twentieth of July!’
‘对!好!七月二十日!’

He looked at her so strangely.
他用一种奇怪的目光看着她。

Yet he really wanted her to go. That was so curious. —
然而,他真的希望她走。真是太奇怪了。 —

He wanted her to go, positively, to have her little adventures and perhaps come home pregnant, and all that. —
他希望她走,坚决地要她去经历一些冒险,也许还回来怀孕什么的。 —

At the same time, he was afraid of her going.
与此同时,他又害怕她走。

She was quivering, watching her real opportunity for leaving him altogether, waiting till the time, herself himself should be ripe.
她颤抖着,观察着她现在真正离开他的机会,等待着时机的成熟,等待着她和他自己都准备好了。

She sat and talked to the keeper of her going abroad.
她坐着和负责出国事务的人谈话。

‘And then when I come back,’ she said, ‘I can tell Clifford I must leave him. —
‘然后当我回来的时候,’她说,’我可以告诉克利福德我必须离开他。 —

And you and I can go away. They never need even know it is you. —
然后你和我可以离开。他们甚至不需要知道是你。 —

We can go to another country, shall we? To Africa or Australia. Shall we?’
我们可以去另一个国家,好吗?去非洲或澳大利亚,好吗?

She was quite thrilled by her plan.
她对她的计划感到非常兴奋。

‘You’ve never been to the Colonies, have you?’ he asked her.
“你从来没有去过殖民地,对吗?”他问她。

‘No! Have you?’
“没有!你去过吗?”

‘I’ve been in India, and South Africa, and Egypt.’
“我去过印度、南非和埃及。”

‘Why shouldn’t we go to South Africa?’
“为什么我们不去南非呢?”

‘We might!’ he said slowly.
“也许吧!”他慢慢地说。

‘Or don’t you want to?’ she asked.
“或者你不想去?”她问道。

‘I don’t care. I don’t much care what I do.’
“我不在乎。我对做什么都没太大兴趣。”

‘Doesn’t it make you happy? Why not? We shan’t be poor. —
“这难道不会让你快乐吗?为什么不呢?我们不会穷。” —

I have about six hundred a year, I wrote and asked. —
“我有大约每年六百英镑,我写信询问了。” —

It’s not much, but it’s enough, isn’t it?’
“这不多,但是够用了,不是吗?”

‘It’s riches to me.’
“对我来说已经很富裕了。”

‘Oh, how lovely it will be!’
“哦,那将会多么美好啊!”

‘But I ought to get divorced, and so ought you, unless we’re going to have complications.’
“但是我应该离婚,你也应该离婚,除非我们要遇到复杂的问题。”

There was plenty to think about.
有许多事情需要考虑。

Another day she asked him about himself. They were in the hut, and there was a thunderstorm.
另一天她问他有关他自己的问题。他们当时正在小屋里,正下着雷雨。

‘And weren’t you happy, when you were a lieutenant and an officer and a gentleman?’
“当你还是中尉和绅士时,你开心吗?”

‘Happy? All right. I liked my Colonel.’
“开心?好吧。我喜欢我的上校。”

‘Did you love him?’
“你爱他吗?”

‘Yes! I loved him.’
“是的!我爱他。”

‘And did he love you?’
“他爱你吗?”

‘Yes! In a way, he loved me.’
“是的!从某种程度上来说,他爱我。”

‘Tell me about him.’
“告诉我关于他的事。”

‘What is there to tell? He had risen from the ranks. He loved the army. And he had never married. —
“有什么好说的?他是从士兵做起的。他热爱军队。而且他从未结婚过。” —

He was twenty years older than me. He was a very intelligent man: —
“他比我大二十岁。他是个非常聪明的人。” —

and alone in the army, as such a man is: a passionate man in his way: and a very clever officer. —
“作为一个这样的人独自在军队中,他是一个充满激情的人:一个非常聪明的军官。” —

I lived under his spell while I was with him. —
“在我和他在一起的时候,我生活在他的影响下。” —

I sort of let him run my life. And I never regret it.’
“我有点任由他操纵我的生活。而我从未后悔。”

‘And did you mind very much when he died?’
“当他去世时,你很伤心吗?”

‘I was as near death myself. But when I came to, I knew another part of me was finished. —
‘我差点也丧命了。但是当我苏醒过来时,我知道另一个部分的我结束了。 —

But then I had always known it would finish in death. —
不过我一直都知道它会以死亡来结束。 —

All things do, as far as that goes.’
就那样说吧,所有的事情都会如此。’

She sat and ruminated. The thunder crashed outside. It was like being in a little ark in the Flood.
她坐着反复思考。雷声在外面轰鸣。就像在洪水中的一艘小方舟。

‘You seem to have such a lot behind you,’ she said.
‘你似乎有着很多过去的事情,‘她说。

‘Do I? It seems to me I’ve died once or twice already. —
‘是吗?在我看来,我好像已经死了一两次。 —

Yet here I am, pegging on, and in for more trouble.’
然而我还活着,并且还会有更多的麻烦。’

She was thinking hard, yet listening to the storm.
她努力思考,同时倾听着风暴。

‘And weren’t you happy as an officer and a gentleman, when your Colonel was dead?’
‘当你的上校去世时,你作为一名军官和绅士感到幸福吗?’

‘No! They were a mingy lot.’ He laughed suddenly. ‘The Colonel used to say: —
‘不!他们是一群吝啬的家伙。’他突然笑了起来。’上校常说: —

Lad, the English middle classes have to chew every mouthful thirty times because their guts are so narrow, a bit as big as a pea would give them a stoppage. —
小伙子,英国中产阶级必须咀嚼每一口三十次,因为他们的肠子很窄,一个像豌豆那么大的东西都会引起堵塞。 —

They’re the mingiest set of ladylike snipe ever invented: —
他们是被发明出来的最吝啬的一群淑女似的胆小鹬: —

full of conceit of themselves, frightened even if their boot-laces aren’t correct, rotten as high game, and always in the right. —
自以为是,即使鞋带不正确也感到害怕,堕落如高级野味,总是对的。 —

That’s what finishes me up. Kow-tow, kow-tow, arse-licking till their tongues are tough: —
这就是让我屈服的地方。磕头,磕头,拍马屁直到舌头变硬: —

yet they’re always in the right. Prigs on top of everything. Prigs! —
然而他们总是对的。傲慢自大占尽优势。傲慢者! —

A generation of ladylike prigs with half a ball each—’
一代优雅的傲慢人,每个人都半斤八两——’

Connie laughed. The rain was rushing down.
康妮笑了。雨水奔流而下。

‘He hated them!’
‘他讨厌他们!’

‘No,’ said he. ‘He didn’t bother. He just disliked them. There’s a difference. —
‘不,’他说。’他没在意。他只是不喜欢他们。有区别的。 —

Because, as he said, the Tommies are getting just as priggish and half-balled and narrow-gutted. —
因为,他说,英国士兵也变得那样自命不凡、中庸和狭隘。 —

It’s the fate of mankind, to go that way.’
这是人类的命运,以这种方式去的。

‘The common people too, the working people?’
‘普通人也是,工人也是?’

‘All the lot. Their spunk is gone dead. Motor-cars and cinemas and aeroplanes suck that last bit out of them. —
‘都是这样。他们的勇气已经死了。汽车、电影和飞机抽走了他们的最后一点勇气。 —

I tell you, every generation breeds a more rabbity generation, with india rubber tubing for guts and tin legs and tin faces. —
我告诉你,每一代都会培养出一代更像兔子一样的后代,他们的胆量是橡胶管,腿和脸是锡做的。 —

Tin people! It’s all a steady sort of bolshevism just killing off the human thing, and worshipping the mechanical thing. —
金属人!这完全是一种稳定的布尔什维主义,正在消灭人的本质,崇拜机械。 —

Money, money, money! All the modern lot get their real kick out of killing the old human feeling out of man, making mincemeat of the old Adam and the old Eve. They’re all alike. —
金钱、金钱、金钱!现代人喜欢把人类的古老感情彻底杀死,将原始亚当和夏娃变成肉馅。他们都一样。 —

The world is all alike: kill off the human reality, a quid for every foreskin, two quid for each pair of balls. —
世界都一样:消除人的真实存在,一张皮包裹的钞票能换来下体的遮羞布,两张皮包裹的钞票能换来一双睾丸。 —

What is cunt but machine-fucking!—It’s all alike. Pay ‘em money to cut off the world’s cock. —
阴户不就是洞机器吗!都一样。给他们钱,让他们割掉世界的命根子。 —

Pay money, money, money to them that will take spunk out of mankind, and leave ‘em all little twiddling machines.’
付钱、钱、钱给那些剥夺人类精华的人,让他们变成雀跃的小机器。

He sat there in the hut, his face pulled to mocking irony. —
他坐在小屋里,面无表情地嘲弄着。 —

Yet even then, he had one ear set backwards, listening to the storm over the wood. —
即使那时,他也将一只耳朵向后扭,倾听着林间的风暴。 —

It made him feel so alone.
这让他感到如此孤独。

‘But won’t it ever come to an end?’ she said.
“但这永远不会有个尽头吗?”她问道。

‘Ay, it will. It’ll achieve its own salvation. —
“呃,会的。它会获得自己的救赎。 —

When the last real man is killed, and they’re all tame: —
当最后一个真正的人被杀死,他们都变得温顺时: —

white, black, yellow, all colours of tame ones: then they’ll all be insane. —
白色,黑色,黄色,所有柔和的颜色:然后它们都会变得疯狂。 —

Because the root of sanity is in the balls. —
因为理智的根源在于种子。 —

Then they’ll all be insane, and they’ll make their grand ~auto da fe. —
然后他们都会变得疯狂,并且他们将进行一场宏大的审判。 —

You know auto da fe means act of faith? Ay, well, they’ll make their own grand little act of faith. —
你知道审判的意思是信仰行为吗?是的,好吧,他们将进行他们自己宏大的一小段信仰行为。 —

They’ll offer one another up.’
他们会互相献祭。

‘You mean kill one another?’
你是说他们会互相杀害对方?

‘I do, duckie! If we go on at our present rate then in a hundred years’ time there won’t be ten thousand people in this island: —
是的,亲爱的!如果我们按照目前的速度继续下去,那么在一百年后,这个岛上可能不会有一万人,也许连十个人都没有了。他们会彼此热爱地消灭对方。 —

there may not be ten. They’ll have lovingly wiped each other out. —
雷声越来越远。 —

The thunder was rolling further away.
“太美妙了!”她说。

‘How nice!’ she said.
“非常美妙!思考人类物种的灭绝,以及之后产生另一物种之前的漫长暂停,比任何事情都更令人平静。

‘Quite nice! To contemplate the extermination of the human species and the long pause that follows before some other species crops up, it calms you more than anything else. —
将要进行的事情都在掌握之中”。 —

And if we go on in this way, with everybody, intellectuals, artists, government, industrialists and workers all frantically killing off the last human feeling, the last bit of their intuition, the last healthy instinct; —
如果我们以这种方式继续下去,所有人,包括知识分子、艺术家、政府、工业家和工人都疯狂地扼杀最后的人类感情,最后的直觉,最后的健康本能; —

if it goes on in algebraical progression, as it is going on: then ta-tah! to the human species! —
如果它按代数级数进行,就像正在进行的那样:那么对于人类物种来说,就要说再见了! —

Goodbye! darling! the serpent swallows itself and leaves a void, considerably messed up, but not hopeless. —
再见了!亲爱的!蛇吞食自己,留下了一片混乱,但并非没有希望。 —

Very nice! When savage wild dogs bark in Wragby, and savage wild pit-ponies stamp on Tevershall pit-bank! te deum laudamus!’
非常好!当野蛮的野狗在雷格比乡村吠叫,野蛮的小矮马在特弗斯霍尔矿边踩踏时!我们赞美神!

Connie laughed, but not very happily.
康妮笑了,但并不是很开心。

‘Then you ought to be pleased that they are all bolshevists,’ she said. —
“那么你应该高兴他们都是布尔什维克主义者,”她说。 —

‘You ought to be pleased that they hurry on towards the end.’
“你应该高兴他们急于走向终结。”

‘So I am. I don’t stop ‘em. Because I couldn’t if I would.’
“是的,我就是这样。我不会阻止他们。因为我即使想也做不到。”

‘Then why are you so bitter?’
“那你为什么这么痛苦呢?”

‘I’m not! If my cock gives its last crow, I don’t mind.’
“我才不痛苦呢!如果我的雄鸡无声,我也不在乎。”

‘But if you have a child?’ she said.
“可是如果你有了孩子呢?”她问道。

He dropped his head.
他低下了头。

‘Why,’ he said at last. ‘It seems to me a wrong and bitter thing to do, to bring a child into this world.’
“为什么呢,我觉得把一个孩子带到这个世界上是一件错误和痛苦的事情。”

‘No! Don’t say it! Don’t say it!’ she pleaded. —
“不!不要这么说!不要这么说!”她恳求道。 —

‘I think I’m going to have one. Say you’ll he pleased.’ —
“我觉得我会要一个孩子。说你会高兴。” —

She laid her hand on his.
她把手放在他的手上。

‘I’m pleased for you to be pleased,’ he said. —
“我为你高兴而高兴,”他说道。 —

‘But for me it seems a ghastly treachery to the unborn creature.
“但对我来说,把一个未出生的生命带到这个世界上似乎是一种可怕的背叛。”

‘Ah no!’ she said, shocked. ‘Then you can’t ever really want me! You can’t want me, if you feel that!’
“啊不!”她吃惊地说道。”那你肯定不会真正想要我!如果你有这样的感觉的话,你就不会想要我了!”

Again he was silent, his face sullen. Outside there was only the threshing of the rain.
他再次沉默,脸上闪过怨怼的表情。外面只有雨水拍打的声音。

‘It’s not quite true!’ she whispered. ‘It’s not quite true! There’s another truth.’ —
“这并不完全正确!”她轻声说道。”还有另外一种真相。” —

She felt he was bitter now partly because she was leaving him, deliberately going away to Venice. —
她感觉他现在变得苦涩,部分原因是因为她要离开他,故意去威尼斯。 —

And this half pleased her.
这使她半心满意。

She pulled open his clothing and uncovered his belly, and kissed his navel. —
她拉开他的衣物,露出他的肚脐,并亲吻了他的肚脐。 —

Then she laid her cheek on his belly and pressed her arm round his warm, silent loins. —
然后她把脸颊放在他的肚子上,用手臂搂住他温暖而寂静的腰部。 —

They were alone in the flood.
他们独自一人在洪水中。

‘Tell me you want a child, in hope!’ she murmured, pressing her face against his belly. ‘Tell me you do!’
“告诉我你希望有一个孩子,抱着希望!”她低语着,把脸贴在他的肚子上。“告诉我你希望!”

‘Why!’ he said at last: and she felt the curious quiver of changing consciousness and relaxation going through his body. —
“为什么!”他最后说道:她感到他的身体产生了一种奇异的意识和放松的战栗。 —

‘Why I’ve thought sometimes if one but tried, here among th’ colliers even! —
“为什么,有时我想,如果一个人在这些矿工中尝试一下! —

They’re workin’ bad now, an’ not earnin’ much. If a man could say to ‘em: —
“他们现在工作得很糟糕,没有挣到多少钱。如果一个人能对他们说: —

Dunna think o’ nowt but th’ money. When it comes ter wants, we want but little. —
“不要想着只有钱。当想到需要时,我们需要的很少。 —

Let’s not live for money—’
“我们不为了钱而活——”

She softly rubbed her cheek on his belly, and gathered his balls in her hand. —
她轻轻地在他的肚子上摩擦着脸颊,用手拉拢着他的睾丸。 —

The penis stirred softly, with strange life, but did not rise up. —
阴茎轻轻地颤动着,带着奇怪的生命,却没有勃起。 —

The rain beat bruisingly outside.
外面的雨猛烈地打击着。

‘Let’s live for summat else. Let’s not live ter make money, neither for us-selves nor for anybody else. —
让我们为别的东西而生活吧。让我们不为自己,也不为别人赚钱。 —

Now we’re forced to. We’re forced to make a bit for us-selves, an’ a fair lot for th’ bosses. —
现在,我们被迫这样做。我们被迫为自己赚一点,为老板们赚很多。 —

Let’s stop it! Bit by bit, let’s stop it. We needn’t rant an’ rave. —
让我们停止吧!一点点地停下来。我们不必发泄怒火。 —

Bit by bit, let’s drop the whole industrial life an’ go back. The least little bit o’ money’ll do. —
一点点地,让我们放弃整个工业生活,回到原点。即便是最少的钱也够了。 —

For everybody, me an’ you, bosses an’ masters, even th’ king. —
对每个人来说,我和你,老板们和主人们,甚至是国王。 —

The least little bit o’ money’ll really do. —
就连一点点钱也真的够了。 —

Just make up your mind to it, an’ you’ve got out o’ th’ mess.’ —
下定决心吧,你就走出了困境。 —

He paused, then went on:
他停了下来,然后继续说道:

‘An’ I’d tell ‘em: Look! Look at Joe! He moves lovely! Look how he moves, alive and aware. —
“我要告诉他们:看!看看乔!他动作优美!看他多么活力四溢。 —

He’s beautiful! An’ look at Jonah! He’s clumsy, he’s ugly, because he’s niver willin’ to rouse himself I’d tell ‘em: —
他很美!再看看乔纳!他笨拙,他丑陋,因为他从未愿意激发自己。我要告诉他们: —

Look! look at yourselves! one shoulder higher than t’other, legs twisted, feet all lumps! —
看!看看你们自己!一只肩膀高过另一只,腿扭曲,脚尽是肿块! —

What have yer done ter yerselves, wi’ the blasted work? Spoilt yerselves. —
你们把自己搞成了什么样子,这该死的工作如何毁了你们。” —

No need to work that much. Take yer clothes off an’ look at yourselves. —
没必要这么拼命工作。脱掉你们的衣服,看看自己。 —

Yer ought ter be alive an’ beautiful, an’ yer ugly an’ half dead. So I’d tell ‘em. —
你们应该活得美丽,可是你们丑陋而半死。所以我会告诉他们。 —

An’ I’d get my men to wear different clothes: —
我会让我的人穿上不同的衣服: —

appen close red trousers, bright red, an’ little short white jackets. —
也许是红色的紧身裤,明亮的红色,还有短小的白色夹克。 —

Why, if men had red, fine legs, that alone would change them in a month. —
呀,如果男人们有红色漂亮的腿,仅仅这一点就能在一个月内改变他们。 —

They’d begin to be men again, to be men! An’ the women could dress as they liked. —
他们会重新成为男人,成为真正的男人!而女人可以随意打扮。 —

Because if once the men walked with legs close bright scarlet, and buttocks nice and showing scarlet under a little white jacket: —
因为如果男人们赤脚走路,紧身的亮红色腿部和美丽的臀部在白色夹克下微微露出: —

then the women ‘ud begin to be women. It’s because th’ men aren’t men, that th’ women have to be. —
那么女人们就会重新成为女人。正因为男人不再是男人,女人们才必须成为。 —

—An’ in time pull down Tevershall and build a few beautiful buildings, that would hold us all. —
—然后,逐渐拆除泰弗斯霍尔并建造几座美丽的建筑,足够容纳我们所有人。 —

An’ clean the country up again. An’ not have many children, because the world is overcrowded.
再清理一下乡村。不要再生太多孩子,因为世界已经人满为患了。

‘But I wouldn’t preach to the men: only strip ‘em an’ say: Look at yourselves! —
“但我不会给男人们讲道理,只是让他们脱光衣服,然后说:看看你们自己!” —

That’s workin’ for money!—Hark at yourselves! That’s working for money. —
这是为了赚钱而工作!-听听自己!这是为了赚钱而工作。 —

You’ve been working for money! Look at Tevershall! It’s horrible. —
你一直在为了钱而工作!看看特弗沙尔!太可怕了。 —

That’s because it was built while you was working for money. Look at your girls! —
那是因为你在为了钱而工作的时候建造的。看看你的女孩们! —

They don’t care about you, you don’t care about them. —
她们不在乎你,你也不在乎她们。 —

It’s because you’ve spent your time working an’ caring for money. —
这是因为你把时间花在为了钱而工作和关心上了。 —

You can’t talk nor move nor live, you can’t properly be with a woman. —
你不能说话、不能移动、不能生活,你不能真正陪伴一个女人。 —

You’re not alive. Look at yourselves!’
你们都没有活着。看看你们自己!

There fell a complete silence. Connie was half listening, and threading in the hair at the root of his belly a few forget-me-nots that she had gathered on the way to the hut. —
一阵寂静降临。康妮半听半不听地在他的肚脐根部缝进了几株采摘来的勿忘草。 —

Outside, the world had gone still, and a little icy.
外面,世界变得寂静而有些寒冷。

‘You’ve got four kinds of hair,’ she said to him. —
“你有四种头发,”她对他说道。 —

‘On your chest it’s nearly black, and your hair isn’t dark on your head: —
“在你的胸部它几乎是黑色的,而在你的头发上它不是暗色的: —

but your moustache is hard and dark red, and your hair here, your love-hair, is like a little brush of bright red-gold mistletoe. —
但是你的胡子又硬又深红,你的这里的头发,你的爱情头发,就像一丛亮红金的小刷子。 —

It’s the loveliest of all!’
这是最美丽的!”

He looked down and saw the milky bits of forget-me-nots in the hair on his groin.
他低头看见自己腹部的阴毛中有一些忘不了的奶白色小花。

‘Ay! That’s where to put forget-me-nots, in the man-hair, or the maiden-hair. —
“嗨!那就是应该把忘不了的小花放在男人的阴毛上或女人的头发上”。 —

But don’t you care about the future?’
“你难道不关心未来吗?”

She looked up at him.
她抬头看着他。

‘Oh, I do, terribly!’ she said.
“哦,我非常关心!”她说。

‘Because when I feel the human world is doomed, has doomed itself by its own mingy beastliness, then I feel the Colonies aren’t far enough. —
“因为当我觉得人类世界注定要毁灭,被自己卑劣的野兽行为毁灭时,我觉得殖民地还不够远。 —

The moon wouldn’t be far enough, because even there you could look back and see the earth, dirty, beastly, unsavoury among all the stars: —
即使去了月球,那也不够远,因为在那里你还能回头看到地球,在所有星星中那个肮脏、卑劣、不堪的地方: —

made foul by men. Then I feel I’ve swallowed gall, and it’s eating my inside out, and nowhere’s far enough away to get away. —
被人类弄得那么肮脏。然后我觉得我像咽下苦胆一样,它在我体内腐蚀,无处不是足够远离的地方。 —

But when I get a turn, I forget it all again. —
但是当我的情绪好起来时,我又把这一切都忘记了。 —

Though it’s a shame, what’s been done to people these last hundred years: —
尽管过去的一百年,对人们来说是个耻辱: —

men turned into nothing but labour-insects, and all their manhood taken away, and all their real life. —
人们变成了纯粹的劳动昆虫,他们的男子气概被剥夺,他们的真实生活被夺走了。 —

I’d wipe the machines off the face of the earth again, and end the industrial epoch absolutely, like a black mistake. —
我会再次把机器从地球上抹去,彻底结束工业时代,就像一个黑暗的错误。 —

But since I can’t, an’ nobody can, I’d better hold my peace, an’ try an’ live my own life: —
但既然我不能这样做,也没有人能做到,我最好保持沉默,努力过自己的生活。 —

if I’ve got one to live, which I rather doubt.’
如果我真的有生活的机会,我对此表示怀疑。

The thunder had ceased outside, but the rain which had abated, suddenly came striking down, with a last blench of lightning and mutter of departing storm. —
外面的雷声停止了,但雨却突然下起来,伴随着最后一道闪电和离去的风暴的轰鸣。 —

Connie was uneasy. He had talked so long now, and he was really talking to himself not to her. —
康妮感到不安。他已经说了这么长时间,实际上他并不是在和她说话,而是在和自己说话。 —

Despair seemed to come down on him completely, and she was feeling happy, she hated despair. —
绝望似乎完全降临在他身上,而她感到幸福,她讨厌绝望。 —

She knew her leaving him, which he had only just realized inside himself had plunged him back into this mood. —
她知道她离开他的决定让他陷入了这种情绪。 —

And she triumphed a little.
她有一点得意。

She opened the door and looked at the straight heavy rain, like a steel curtain, and had a sudden desire to rush out into it, to rush away. —
她打开门,看着直直的大雨,像一道钢铁帷幕,突然有一种冲动想冲进去,逃离这里。 —

She got up, and began swiftly pulling off her stockings, then her dress and underclothing, and he held his breath. —
她站起来,迅速脱下袜子,然后是裙子和内衣,他屏住呼吸。 —

Her pointed keen animal breasts tipped and stirred as she moved. —
她身上的尖锐而犀利的动物胸部因她的动作而颤抖。 —

She was ivory-coloured in the greenish light. —
她在绿色的光线中显得像象牙一样的颜色。 —

She slipped on her rubber shoes again and ran out with a wild little laugh, holding up her breasts to the heavy rain and spreading her arms, and running blurred in the rain with the eurhythmic dance movements she had learned so long ago in Dresden. —
她再次穿上橡胶鞋,发出一阵狂野的小笑声,抬起胸部迎着倾盆大雨,张开双臂在雨中奔跑,以她很久以前在德累斯顿学习的优美舞姿重复着一种呼应的舞蹈动作。 —

It was a strange pallid figure lifting and falling, bending so the rain beat and glistened on the full haunches, swaying up again and coming belly-forward through the rain, then stooping again so that only the full loins and buttocks were offered in a kind of homage towards him, repeating a wild obeisance.
这是一个奇怪的苍白身影,起伏不定,弯腰让雨滴在丰满的腰臀上闪闪发亮,然后再次俯身,只有丰满的腰腹和臀部向他致敬,重复着狂野的顶礼。

He laughed wryly, and threw off his clothes. It was too much. —
他苦笑着脱下衣服。这太过分了。 —

He jumped out, naked and white, with a little shiver, into the hard slanting rain. —
他赤身裸体地跳出来,身体发出一丝颤抖,在倾斜的雨中。 —

Flossie sprang before him with a frantic little bark. —
弗洛西狂吠着向他跳了过来。 —

Connie, her hair all wet and sticking to her head, turned her hot face and saw him. —
康妮的头发湿漉漉地贴在脑袋上,她转过热脸看见了他。 —

Her blue eyes blazed with excitement as she turned and ran fast, with a strange charging movement, out of the clearing and down the path, the wet boughs whipping her. —
她的蓝眼睛充满了兴奋,她转身飞快地跑出空地,沿着小径奔跑,湿润的树枝抽打着她的身体。 —

She ran, and he saw nothing but the round wet head, the wet back leaning forward in flight, the rounded buttocks twinkling: —
她奔跑着,他看到的只有一个湿漉漉的圆头,向前倾斜的湿漉的背脊,闪烁着圆润的臀部:一个在逃亡中的极为诱人的蜷缩的女性裸体。 —

a wonderful cowering female nakedness in flight.
她已经接近宽敞的骑行道,当他追上去,用赤裸的胳膊抱住了她柔软湿漉漉的腰。

She was nearly at the wide riding when he came up and flung his naked arm round her soft, naked-wet middle. —
她发出一声尖叫,挺直身子,柔软湿冷的肉堆撞上了他的身体。 —

She gave a shriek and straightened herself and the heap of her soft, chill flesh came up against his body. —
他疯狂地把她全部紧紧地贴在自己身上,冲动地将那一堆柔软湿冷的女性肉体压迫着,迅速变得火热如焰。 —

He pressed it all up against him, madly, the heap of soft, chilled female flesh that became quickly warm as flame, in contact. —
雨水倾泻而下,直到他们浸湿。 —

The rain streamed on them till they smoked. —
直到他们冒起了热气。 —

He gathered her lovely, heavy posteriors one in each hand and pressed them in towards him in a frenzy, quivering motionless in the rain. —
他用双手抓住她可爱而丰满的臀部,疯狂地将她压向自己,静止地在雨中颤抖。 —

Then suddenly he tipped her up and fell with her on the path, in the roaring silence of the rain, and short and sharp, he took her, short and sharp and finished, like an animal.
突然,他将她扶起,与她一起倒在路上,在雨的咆哮中,短促而剧烈地与她交合,像一只野兽。

He got up in an instant, wiping the rain from his eyes.
他立刻站起来,从眼睛上擦去雨水。

‘Come in,’ he said, and they started running back to the hut. He ran straight and swift: —
“进来吧,”他说,他们开始跑回小屋。他直线而快速地奔跑着: —

he didn’t like the rain. But she came slower, gathering forget-me-nots and campion and bluebells, running a few steps and watching him fleeing away from her.
他不喜欢雨。但她却跑得慢些,采集着勿忘我、麦花和风铃草,偶尔跑几步,看着他远离她而去。

When she came with her flowers, panting to the hut, he had already started a fire, and the twigs were crackling. —
当她带着她的花气喘吁吁地来到小屋时,他已经生了一堆火,枝条噼啪作响。 —

Her sharp breasts rose and fell, her hair was plastered down with rain, her face was flushed ruddy and her body glistened and trickled. —
她尖挺的胸部上下起伏,头发被雨水黏在头上,脸红得通红,身体闪闪发亮,滴水流淌。 —

Wide-eyed and breathless, with a small wet head and full, trickling, na? —
睁大眼睛、喘不过气来,湿漉漉的小脑袋和饱满、流淌的天真后腿让她看起来像另一个生物。 —

ve haunches, she looked another creature.
宽眼睛、上气不接下气,头发湿漉漉的,脸红晕了,全身闪闪发亮、滴水流淌,她仿佛变成了另一个生物。

He took the old sheet and rubbed her down, she standing like a child. —
他拿起了这块旧床单,把她擦干,她像个孩子一样站在那里。 —

Then he rubbed himself having shut the door of the hut. The fire was blazing up. —
接着他关上了门,自己也擦干了身体。火光熊熊地燃烧着。 —

She ducked her head in the other end of the sheet, and rubbed her wet hair.
她把头伸进床单的另一头,擦干了湿漉漉的头发。

‘We’re drying ourselves together on the same towel, we shall quarrel!’ he said.
“我们在同一块毛巾上一起擦干身体,肯定会争吵!”他说。

She looked up for a moment, her hair all odds and ends.
她抬起头看了一眼,头发七零八落。

‘No!’ she said, her eyes wide. ‘It’s not a towel, it’s a sheet.’ —
“不!”她睁大眼睛说道。“这不是毛巾,是床单。” —

And she went on busily rubbing her head, while he busily rubbed his.
她继续忙碌地擦着头,而他也在忙碌地擦着身体。

Still panting with their exertions, each wrapped in an army blanket, but the front of the body open to the fire, they sat on a log side by side before the blaze, to get quiet. —
他们气喘吁吁,各自裹着军毯,但胸前敞开,靠在柴火旁边的一根木头上,为了安静下来。 —

Connie hated the feel of the blanket against her skin. —
康妮讨厌毛毯沾到皮肤上的感觉。 —

But now the sheet was all wet.
但现在床单都湿透了。

She dropped her blanket and kneeled on the clay hearth, holding her head to the fire, and shaking her hair to dry it. —
她放下毛毯,跪在泥砖壁炉上,把头靠近火,摇晃着头发使其干燥。 —

He watched the beautiful curving drop of her haunches. That fascinated him today. —
他看着她优美曲线的臀部。他今天被这个迷住了。 —

How it sloped with a rich down-slope to the heavy roundness of her buttocks! —
她的臀部丰满而丰满,呈现出一个富有曲线的下坡。 —

And in between, folded in the secret warmth, the secret entrances!
而其中夹杂着秘密的温暖和隐秘的入口。

He stroked her tail with his hand, long and subtly taking in the curves and the globe-fullness.
他用手轻轻地抚摸她的尾巴,细致入微地感受曲线和球状充实感。

‘Tha’s got such a nice tail on thee,’ he said, in the throaty caressive dialect. —
“你的屁股真棒,”他用带有低沉亲昵口音的声音说道。 —

‘Tha’s got the nicest arse of anybody. It’s the nicest, nicest woman’s arse as is! —
“你的屁股是最好的,没有人能比得上。它是最好的、最好的女人的屁股!” —

An’ ivery bit of it is woman, woman sure as nuts. —
“而且它的每一部分都是女人,像坚果一样确实是女人。” —

Tha’rt not one o’ them button-arsed lasses as should be lads, are ter! —
“你可不是那种本该是男生的扣屁股女孩,对吧!” —

Tha’s got a real soft sloping bottom on thee, as a man loves in ‘is guts. —
“你的屁股真是一个男人从内心深处所爱的柔软的倾斜底部。” —

It’s a bottom as could hold the world up, it is!’
“它是一个可以撑起整个世界的屁股!”

All the while he spoke he exquisitely stroked the rounded tail, till it seemed as if a slippery sort of fire came from it into his hands. —
他讲话的同时,他细致地抚摸着那圆滑的尾巴,以至于似乎从中传出一种滑溜的火焰进入他的手中。 —

And his finger-tips touched the two secret openings to her body, time after time, with a soft little brush of fire.
他的指尖一次又一次地轻轻触摸着她体内的两个秘密开口,那是一次又一次带着微小火花的柔软触感。

‘An’ if tha shits an’ if tha pisses, I’m glad. I don’t want a woman as couldna shit nor piss.’
‘如果它拉屎和尿尿,我很高兴。我不想要一个不能拉屎也不能尿尿的女人。’

Connie could not help a sudden snort of astonished laughter, but he went on unmoved.
康妮不禁发出了一声惊讶的笑声,但他毫不动容地继续说下去。

‘Tha’rt real, tha art! Tha’art real, even a bit of a bitch. Here tha shits an’ here tha pisses: —
‘你真实,你真实!你真实,即使是个小婊子。你拉屎,你尿尿: —

an’ I lay my hand on ‘em both an’ like thee for it. I like thee for it. —
我把手放在它们身上,喜欢你这样。我喜欢你这样。’ —

Tha’s got a proper, woman’s arse, proud of itself. —
你有一个合适的、女人的屁股,为自己感到骄傲。 —

It’s none ashamed of itself this isna.’
它并不为自己感到羞耻。

He laid his hand close and firm over her secret places, in a kind of close greeting.
他紧紧而坚定地把手放在她隐秘的地方,一种亲密的问候。

‘I like it,’ he said. ‘I like it! An’ if I only lived ten minutes, an’ stroked thy arse an’ got to know it, I should reckon I’d lived one life, see ter! —
‘我喜欢它,’他说道。’我喜欢它!如果我只能活上十分钟,摸摸你的屁股并且了解它,我会认为我度过了一生,你看! —

Industrial system or not! Here’s one o’ my lifetimes.’
不管有没有工业体系!这是我的其中一段人生。’

She turned round and climbed into his lap, clinging to him. ‘Kiss me!’ she whispered.
她转过身来,坐到他的腿上,紧紧地抓住他。’吻我!’她低声说道。

And she knew the thought of their separation was latent in both their minds, and at last she was sad.
她知道分离的思想潜藏在他们两个人的头脑中,最终她感到了悲伤。

She sat on his thighs, her head against his breast, and her ivory-gleaming legs loosely apart, the fire glowing unequally upon them. —
她坐在他的大腿上,头靠着他的胸膛,雪白的双腿松散地分开,火光不均地照在她身上。 —

Sitting with his head dropped, he looked at the folds of her body in the fire-glow, and at the fleece of soft brown hair that hung down to a point between her open thighs. —
他低头坐着,注视着火光中她身体的曲线,看着那一缕柔软的棕色头发,垂落在她张开的双腿间。 —

He reached to the table behind, and took up her bunch of flowers, still so wet that drops of rain fell on to her.
他伸手拿起桌子上她的一束花,花上还带着几滴雨水滴在她的身上。

‘Flowers stops out of doors all weathers,’ he said. ‘They have no houses.’
“鲜花无论风吹雨打,也不需要房子。”他说道。

‘Not even a hut!’ she murmured.
“甚至没有小屋!“她轻声说道。

With quiet fingers he threaded a few forget-me-not flowers in the fine brown fleece of the mound of Venus.
他用轻柔的手指将几朵勿忘我花穿进她丰满的棕色头发中。

‘There!’ he said. ‘There’s forget-me-nots in the right place!’
“看,就在那里!那儿有一丛恰到好处的勿忘我花!“他说道。

She looked down at the milky odd little flowers among the brown maiden-hair at the lower tip of her body.
她低头看着散发着乳白色光芒的小花,它们点缀在她体底部茂密的棕色花丛里。

‘Doesn’t it look pretty!’ she said.
“好看吗!”她说道。

‘Pretty as life,’ he replied.
“美如生命。”他答道。

And he stuck a pink campion-bud among the hair.
他插上一朵粉红色的钟花蕾。

‘There! That’s me where you won’t forget me! That’s Moses in the bull-rushes.’
“现在好了!那是我,你不会忘记我的地方!那是摩西在芦苇中。”

‘You don’t mind, do you, that I’m going away?’ she asked wistfully, looking up into his face.
‘我走了,你不介意吧?’她渴望地问道,抬头看着他的脸。

But his face was inscrutable, under the heavy brows. He kept it quite blank.
但是他的脸色深不可测,在浓密的双眉下一片空白。

‘You do as you wish,’ he said.
‘你爱怎么做就怎么做吧,’他说。

And he spoke in good English.
他用流利的英语说话。

‘But I won’t go if you don’t wish it,’ she said, clinging to him.
‘如果你不希望,我就不走了,’她紧紧地抓住他。

There was silence. He leaned and put another piece of wood on the fire. —
寂静无声。他倚在一旁,又往火堆上添了一根木柴。 —

The flame glowed on his silent, abstracted face. —
火焰映照在他沉默而心不在焉的脸上。 —

She waited, but he said nothing.
她等了一会儿,但他什么都没说。

‘Only I thought it would be a good way to begin a break with Clifford. —
‘只是我想这是个与克利福德划清界限的好机会。 —

I do want a child. And it would give me a chance to, to—,’ she resumed.
我真的想要一个孩子。这样一来,我有机会,有机会…,’她继续说道。

‘To let them think a few lies,’ he said.
‘让他们相信几个谎言吧,’他说。

‘Yes, that among other things. Do you want them to think the truth?’
‘是的,还有其他的事情。你希望他们相信真相吗?’

‘I don’t care what they think.’
‘我不在乎他们怎么想。’

‘I do! I don’t want them handling me with their unpleasant cold minds, not while I’m still at Wragby. —
‘我在乎!我不想让他们用他们冷酷的头脑来处理我,尤其是在我还在Wragby庄园的时候。 —

They can think what they like when I’m finally gone.’
等我最终离开了,他们可以想什么就想什么。’

He was silent.
他沉默着。

‘But Sir Clifford expects you to come back to him?’
“可是克利福德先生希望你回到他身边吗?”

‘Oh, I must come back,’ she said: and there was silence.
“哦,我必须回去,”她说道,并且房间重新沉默了下来。

‘And would you have a child in Wragby?’ he asked.
“那你愿意在莱格比庄园生孩子吗?”他问道。

She closed her arm round his neck.
她的手臂环绕着他的脖子。

‘If you wouldn’t take me away, I should have to,’ she said.
“如果你不把我带走,我就得这么做。”她说道。

‘Take you where to?’
“带我去哪里?”

‘Anywhere! away! But right away from Wragby.’
“任何地方!远离莱格比庄园。”

‘When?’
“什么时候?”

‘Why, when I come back.’
“为什么要回来,做同样的事情两次,如果你已经走了呢?”他说道。

‘But what’s the good of coming back, doing the thing twice, if you’re once gone?’ he said.
“哦,我必须回来。我已经许诺了!我已经如此真诚地许诺了。”

‘Oh, I must come back. I’ve promised! I’ve promised so faithfully. —
“此外,我是为了你才回来的。” —

Besides, I come back to you, really.’
“为了你丈夫的护林员?”

‘To your husband’s game-keeper?’
“我认为这不重要。”她说道。

‘I don’t see that that matters,’ she said.
“当然重要!”他回答道。

‘No?’ He mused a while. ‘And when would you think of going away again, then; finally? When exactly?’
“不是吗?”他沉思了一会儿。“那你什么时候打算再次离开呢?最后的确切时间是什么时候?”

‘Oh, I don’t know. I’d come back from Venice. And then we’d prepare everything.’
“哦,我不知道。我会从威尼斯回来。然后我们会准备一切。”

‘How prepare?’
“怎么准备?”

‘Oh, I’d tell Clifford. I’d have to tell him.’
“哦,我会告诉克利福德。我必须告诉他。”

‘Would you!’
“真的吗!”

He remained silent. She put her arms round his neck.
他沉默了。她把胳膊搭在他的脖子上。

‘Don’t make it difficult for me,’ she pleaded.
“不要让我难办”,她恳求道。

‘Make what difficult?’
“让什么难办?”

‘For me to go to Venice and arrange things.’
“让我去威尼斯安排事情。”

A little smile, half a grin, flickered on his face.

‘I don’t make it difficult,’ he said. ‘I only want to find out just what you are after. —
他脸上闪过一丝微笑,半张嘴。 —

But you don’t really know yourself. You want to take time: get away and look at it. —
“我不会让事情变复杂,”他说。“我只想弄清楚你到底想要什么。 —

I don’t blame you. I think you’re wise. You may prefer to stay mistress of Wragby. —
但你自己也不真正知道。你想要花时间:离开一下,好好看看。 —

I don’t blame you. I’ve no Wragbys to offer. In fact, you know what you’ll get out of me. —
我不怪你。我觉得你很聪明。你可能更愿意留在拉伍比为主。 —

No, no, I think you’re right! I really do! —
我不怪你。我没有拉伍比能给你。实际上,你知道你从我这里能得到什么。 —

And I’m not keen on coming to live on you, being kept by you. There’s that too.’
而我不热衷于来你这里生活,在你养着我。也有这个原因。’

She felt somehow as if he were giving her tit for tat.
她感觉他好像在拿她的一报还一报。

‘But you want me, don’t you?’ she asked.
‘但是你想要我,不是吗?’她问道。

‘Do you want me?’
‘你想要我吗?’

‘You know I do. That’s evident.’
‘你知道我想要。这是显而易见的。’

‘Quite! And when do you want me?’
‘是的!那么你想要我什么时候?’

‘You know we can arrange it all when I come back. —
‘你知道我们可以在我回来时把这一切安排好。’ —

Now I’m out of breath with you. I must get calm and clear.’
‘现在我和你呼吸都上不来气了。我必须冷静和清晰一下。’

‘Quite! Get calm and clear!’
‘是的!冷静和清晰一下!’

She was a little offended.
她有点生气。

‘But you trust me, don’t you?’ she said.
‘但是你相信我,不是吗?’她说道。

‘Oh, absolutely!’
‘哦,当然!’

She heard the mockery in his tone.
她听到了他语调中的嘲笑。

‘Tell me then,’ she said flatly; ‘do you think it would be better if I don’t go to Venice?’
‘那告诉我吧,’她平淡地说,’你觉得我不去威尼斯会更好吗?’

‘I’m sure it’s better if you do go to Venice,’ he replied in the cool, slightly mocking voice.
‘我确信你去威尼斯会更好,’他用冷静略带嘲讽的声音回答道。

‘You know it’s next Thursday?’ she said.
‘她说,’你知道下周四是吗?’

‘Yes!’
‘是的!’

She now began to muse. At last she said:
她开始思考。最后她说:

‘And we shall know better where we are when I come back, shan’t we?’
‘当我回来时,我们会更清楚我们现在在哪里,不是吗?’

‘Oh surely!’
‘噢,当然!’

The curious gulf of silence between them!
他们之间奇怪的沉默!

‘I’ve been to the lawyer about my divorce,’ he said, a little constrainedly.
‘我去找了律师谈我离婚的事情,’他有点局促地说。

She gave a slight shudder.
她微微颤抖。

‘Have you!’ she said. ‘And what did he say?’
‘你真的吗!’她说。’他说了什么?’

‘He said I ought to have done it before; that may be a difficulty. —
‘他说我应该早点做,可能会有一些困难。 —

But since I was in the army, he thinks it will go through all right. —
但因为我在军队里,他认为会顺利进行。 —

If only it doesn’t bring her down on my head!’
‘只要它不会招致她的报复!’

‘Will she have to know?’
‘她必须知道吗?’

‘Yes! she is served with a notice: so is the man she lives with, the co-respondent.’
‘是的!她已经收到了通知:她和那个男人,共同被告,都收到了通知。’

‘Isn’t it hateful, all the performances! I suppose I’d have to go through it with Clifford.’
‘所有这些都太可恨了!我想我也得和 Clifford 经历这些。’

There was a silence.
一片寂静。

‘And of course,’ he said, ‘I have to live an exemplary life for the next six or eight months. —
“当然了,”他说道,”在接下来的六到八个月里,我必须过着模范生活。 —

So if you go to Venice, there’s temptation removed for a week or two, at least.’
所以如果你去威尼斯,至少有一两个星期的诱惑就会消除了。”

‘Am I temptation!’ she said, stroking his face. ‘I’m so glad I’m temptation to you! —
“我就是诱惑吗!“她抚摸着他的脸说道,”我很高兴成为你的诱惑! —

Don’t let’s think about it! You frighten me when you start thinking: you roll me out flat. —
别想了!当你开始思考时,你把我彻底压扁了。 —

Don’t let’s think about it. We can think so much when we are apart. That’s the whole point! —
别想了。我们分开时可以想很多事情。这才是重点! —

I’ve been thinking, I must come to you for another night before I go. —
我在想,我必须在走之前再过来陪你一夜。 —

I must come once more to the cottage. Shall I come on Thursday night?’
我必须再来一次小屋。我星期四晚上来好吗?

‘Isn’t that when your sister will be there?’
那个时候你姐姐会在那里吗?

‘Yes! But she said we would start at tea-time. So we could start at tea-time. —
是的!但她说我们会在茶点开始。所以我们可以在茶点开始。 —

But she could sleep somewhere else and I could sleep with you.
但是她得知道。

‘But then she’d have to know.’
哦,我会告诉她的。我差不多已经告诉她了。

‘Oh, I shall tell her. I’ve more or less told her already. —
我必须和希尔达讨论一下这一切。她很有帮助,很明理。 —

I must talk it all over with Hilda. She’s a great help, so sensible.’
他在思考她的计划。

He was thinking of her plan.
他在思考她的计划。

‘So you’d start off from Wragby at tea-time, as if you were going to London? —
‘那你会在茶点时间从拉格比出发,就像你要去伦敦一样?’ —

Which way were you going?’
‘你要去哪个方向?’

‘By Nottingham and Grantham.’
‘通过诺丁汉和格兰瑟姆。’

‘And then your sister would drop you somewhere and you’d walk or drive back here? —
‘然后你姐姐会把你送到某个地方,然后你会步行或驾车回到这里?’ —

Sounds very risky, to me.’
‘听起来对我来说很冒险。’

‘Does it? Well, then, Hilda could bring me back. —
‘是吗?那么,希尔达可以把我送回来。’ —

She could sleep at Mansfield, and bring me back here in the evening, and fetch me again in the morning. It’s quite easy.’
‘她可以在曼斯菲尔德过夜,然后晚上把我带回这里,早上再来接我。这很容易。’

‘And the people who see you?’
‘那看到你的人呢?’

‘I’ll wear goggles and a veil.’
‘我会戴上护目镜和面纱。’

He pondered for some time.
他沉思了一段时间。

‘Well,’ he said. ‘You please yourself as usual.’
‘嗯,’他说。’你就像往常一样让自己高兴好了。’

‘But wouldn’t it please you?’
‘但是这难道不会让你高兴吗?’

‘Oh yes! It’d please me all right,’ he said a little grimly. —
‘哦,是的!我肯定会很高兴,’他有点严肃地说。 —

‘I might as well smite while the iron’s hot.’
‘趁热打铁也许是个好主意。’

‘Do you know what I thought?’ she said suddenly. —
‘你知道我在想什么吗?’她突然说道。 —

‘It suddenly came to me. You are the “Knight of the Burning Pestle”!’
“我突然明白了。你就是那位‘燃烧研钵的骑士’!”

‘Ay! And you? Are you the Lady of the Red-Hot Mortar?’
“是的!那你呢?你是‘红热研钵的女士’吗?”

‘Yes!’ she said. ‘Yes! You’re Sir Pestle and I’m Lady Mortar.’
“是的!”她说。“是的!你是佩斯托爵士,我是摩塔阁下。”

‘All right, then I’m knighted. John Thomas is Sir John, to your Lady Jane.’
“好吧,那我就封骑士了。约翰·托马斯是封了爵士的,而简是夫人。”

‘Yes! John Thomas is knighted! I’m my-lady-maiden-hair, and you must have flowers too. Yes!’
“是的!约翰·托马斯成了骑士!我是我的夫人,你也得有鲜花。对,是的!”

She threaded two pink campions in the bush of red-gold hair above his penis.
她在他下体上那丛红金色的毛发里穿了两朵粉红的无心菜。

‘There!’ she said. ‘Charming! Charming! Sir John!’
“就这样!”她说。“太迷人了!约翰爵士!”

And she pushed a bit of forget-me-not in the dark hair of his breast.
她往他胸前的黑发中夹了一小片勿忘我。

‘And you won’t forget me there, will you?’ —
“你不会把我给忘在那儿了吧?” —

She kissed him on the breast, and made two bits of forget-me-not lodge one over each nipple, kissing him again.
她在他的乳头上亲了一口,又把两片勿忘我分别放在每个乳头上,再次亲吻他。

‘Make a calendar of me!’ he said. He laughed, and the flowers shook from his breast.
“为我做个日历!”他说。他笑了笑,鲜花从他的胸前掉了下来。

‘Wait a bit!’ he said.
“等一下!”他说。

He rose, and opened the door of the hut. Flossie, lying in the porch, got up and looked at him.
他起身,打开小屋的门。躺在门廊的弗洛西站起来看着他。

‘Ay, it’s me!’ he said.
“啊,是我!”他说。

The rain had ceased. There was a wet, heavy, perfumed stillness. Evening was approaching.
雨已停了。周围笼罩着潮湿、沉重、芬芳的寂静。傍晚正在逼近。

He went out and down the little path in the opposite direction from the riding. —
他走出去,顺着小路朝反方向走,远离了骑马的地方。 —

Connie watched his thin, white figure, and it looked to her like a ghost, an apparition moving away from her.
康妮目送着他瘦弱的白色身影,对她来说就像是一个幽灵,一个离她渐行渐远的幻影。

When she could see it no more, her heart sank. —
当她再也看不见时,她的心沉了下去。 —

She stood in the door of the hut, with a blanket round her, looking into the drenched, motionless silence.
她站在小屋的门口,裹着一条毯子,望着那湿漉漉、静止无声的寂静。

But he was coming back, trotting strangely, and carrying flowers. —
但他回来了,奇怪地小跑着,手里拿着鲜花。 —

She was a little afraid of him, as if he were not quite human. —
她有点害怕他,仿佛他不完全是人类。 —

And when he came near, his eyes looked into hers, but she could not understand the meaning.
当他走近时,他的眼睛注视着她的眼睛,但她无法理解其中的含义。

He had brought columbines and campions, and new-mown hay, and oak-tufts and honeysuckle in small bud. He fastened fluffy young oak-sprays round her breasts, sticking in tufts of bluebells and campion: —
他带来了深红锦葵和报春花,还有新割的干草、橡树枝和小蓝钟和报春花嵌在那蓬松的橡树枝上: —

and in her navel he poised a pink campion flower, and in her maiden-hair were forget-me-nots and woodruff.
而在她的肚脐上,他放了一朵粉红色的报春花,在她的百合花里还有勿忘我和鬼蕨。

‘That’s you in all your glory!’ he said. ‘Lady Jane, at her wedding with John Thomas.’
“这就是你风采尽显的样子!”他说。“简爵士,在她和约翰·托马斯结婚的时候。”

And he stuck flowers in the hair of his own body, and wound a bit of creeping-jenny round his penis, and stuck a single bell of a hyacinth in his navel. —
他把花插在自己的头发上,并在他的阴茎上缠绕一点爬墙虎,还把一朵风信子的钟铃插在他的肚脐上。 —

She watched him with amusement, his odd intentness. —
她兴致勃勃地看着他,觉得他的专注有些奇怪。 —

And she pushed a campion flower in his moustache, where it stuck, dangling under his nose.
她把一朵蔓延的野罂粟花推到他的胡须上,挂在他的鼻子下面。

‘This is John Thomas marryin’ Lady Jane,’ he said. —
“这是约翰·托马斯娶简爵士。”他说。 —

‘An’ we mun let Constance an’ Oliver go their ways. Maybe—’
“而我们必须让康斯坦斯和奥利弗各走各的路。也许–”

He spread out his hand with a gesture, and then he sneezed, sneezing away the flowers from his nose and his navel. He sneezed again.
他伸出手做出一个手势,然后打了个喷嚏,将鼻子和肚脐上的花都喷了出来。他又打了个喷嚏。

‘Maybe what?’ she said, waiting for him to go on.
“也许什么?”她问,等着他继续说下去。

He looked at her a little bewildered.
他有点困惑地看着她。

‘Eh?’ he said.
“嗯?”他说。

‘Maybe what? Go on with what you were going to say,’ she insisted.
“也许什么?继续说你要说的话。”她坚持道。

‘Ay, what was I going to say?’
“啊,我刚才要说什么来着?”

He had forgotten. And it was one of the disappointments of her life, that he never finished.
他忘记了。她的一生中有一件令她失望的事情就是他从来没有说完。

A yellow ray of sun shone over the trees.
一道黄色的阳光照在树上。

‘Sun!’ he said. ‘And time you went. Time, my Lady, time! —
“太阳!”他说。“是时候走了。时间,我的女士,时间! —

What’s that as flies without wings, your Ladyship? Time! Time!’
“那是什么没有翅膀的飞行物,女士?时间!时间!”

He reached for his shirt.
他伸手拿起他的衬衫。

‘Say goodnight! to John Thomas,’ he said, looking down at his penis. —
“对John Thomas说晚安吧,”他看着自己的阴茎说道。 —

‘He’s safe in the arms of creeping Jenny! —
“他现在躺在Creeper Jenny的怀里,安然无恙! —

Not much burning pestle about him just now.’
“现在对他来说,不像就像研钵里的热火那样多了。

And he put his flannel shirt over his head.
他把他的法兰绒衬衫套在头上。

‘A man’s most dangerous moment,’ he said, when his head had emerged, ‘is when he’s getting into his shirt. —
“一个人最危险的时刻,”他说道,当他的头部出现时,“是当他穿衬衫的时候。 —

Then he puts his head in a bag. That’s why I prefer those American shirts, that you put on like a jacket.’ —
然后他把头放进一个袋子里。这就是为什么我更喜欢那些像夹克一样穿上的美国衬衫。” —

She still stood watching him. He stepped into his short drawers, and buttoned them round the waist.
她仍然站在那里看着他。他踩进他的短裤里,系紧腰部的纽扣。

‘Look at Jane!’ he said. ‘In all her blossoms! Who’ll put blossoms on you next year, Jinny? —
“看着简!”他说。“穿上你所有的花朵!明年谁会给你戴花朵,Jinny? —

Me, or somebody else? “Good-bye, my bluebell, farewell to you!” —
是我还是其他人?“再见,我的风铃草,向你道别!” —

I hate that song, it’s early war days.’ He then sat down, and was pulling on his stockings. —
我讨厌那首歌,那是早期的战争时代。”然后他坐下来,开始穿袜子。 —

She still stood unmoving. He laid his hand on the slope of her buttocks. ‘Pretty little Lady Jane!’ —
她依然站在那里一动不动。他把手放在她臀部的曲线上。“可爱的小贵妇简!”他说道。 —

he said. ‘Perhaps in Venice you’ll find a man who’ll put jasmine in your maiden-hair, and a pomegranate flower in your navel. —
“也许在威尼斯,你会找到一个愿意给你的发梢插上茉莉花,把石榴花儿摆在你的肚脐上的男人。” —

Poor little lady Jane!’
可怜的小贵妇简!

‘Don’t say those things!’ she said. ‘You only say them to hurt me.’
“别说这些!”她说。“你只是说这些来伤害我。”

He dropped his head. Then he said, in dialect:
他低下头。然后,他用方言说道:

‘Ay, maybe I do, maybe I do! Well then, I’ll say nowt, an’ ha’ done wi’t. —
“也许我真的这样做了,也许我真的这样做了!那好吧,我什么都不说了,别再提了。” —

But tha mun dress thysen, all’ go back to thy stately homes of England, how beautiful they stand. —
“但你必须打扮自己,回到你那高贵的英格兰住宅,看着它们多么美丽地矗立着。” —

Time’s up! Time’s up for Sir John, an’ for little Lady Jane! Put thy shimmy on, Lady Chatterley! —
时间到了!约翰爵士和小贵妇简的时间到了!穿上你的妖艳丝绸吧,查泰莱女士! —

Tha might be anybody, standin’ there be-out even a shimmy, an’ a few rags o’ flowers. —
你站在那里连件妖艳的衣裙都没有,只穿着几片花瓣。 —

There then, there then, I’ll undress thee, tha bob-tailed young throstle.’ —
好了,好了,我来脱衣服给你,你这只有剪短尾巴的小画眉鸟。 —

And he took the leaves from her hair, kissing her damp hair, and the flowers from her breasts, and kissed her breasts, and kissed her navel, and kissed her maiden-hair, where he left the flowers threaded. —
他拿走她头发上的叶子,亲吻她潮湿的头发,摘下她胸前的花朵,亲吻她的胸部,亲吻她的肚脐,亲吻她的阴部,然后把花穿在她的头发上留下。 —

‘They mun stop while they will,’ he said. ‘So! —
“他们该停下了,”他说。 “那样! —

There tha’rt bare again, nowt but a bare-arsed lass an’ a bit of a Lady Jane! —
“现在你又赤身露体了,什么也不是,只是个贫穷的姑娘和一个小贵族! —

Now put thy shimmy on, for tha mun go, or else Lady Chatterley’s goin’ to be late for dinner, an’ where ‘ave yer been to my pretty maid!’
“现在穿上你的衬衫,因为你得走了,要不然查泰莱夫人要迟到,你这个漂亮的姑娘,你去哪儿了!”

She never knew how to answer him when he was in this condition of the vernacular. —
当他在这种平民的状态下时,她从来不知道该如何回答他。 —

So she dressed herself and prepared to go a little ignominiously home to Wragby. —
所以她穿好衣服准备有点丢脸地回到Wragby家。 —

Or so she felt it: a little ignominiously home.
或者这样说,有点丢脸地回家。

He would accompany her to the broad riding. His young pheasants were all right under the shelter.
他会陪她去宽敞的骑道。他年轻的野鸡都在避风处没事。

When he and she came out on to the riding, there was Mrs Bolton faltering palely towards them.
当他和她走到骑道上时,Bolton夫人苍白地向他们靠拢。

‘Oh, my Lady, we wondered if anything had happened!’
“哦,夫人,我们想知道是否发生了什么事!”

‘No! Nothing has happened.’
“没有!什么事都没有发生。”

Mrs Bolton looked into the man’s face, that was smooth and new-looking with love. —
波尔顿夫人凝视着那位滑腻而焕然一新的男人的脸庞,满含爱意。 —

She met his half-laughing, half-mocking eyes. —
她与他相视而笑,一半是嬉笑,一半是嘲弄。 —

He always laughed at mischance. But he looked at her kindly.
他总是对不幸的事情发笑,但是他友善地看着她。

‘Evening, Mrs Bolton! Your Ladyship will be all right now, so I can leave you. —
“晚上好,波尔顿夫人!你的尊贵已经安全了,所以我可以离开了。 —

Good-night to your Ladyship! Good-night, Mrs Bolton!’
晚安,尊贵的夫人!晚安,波尔顿夫人!”

He saluted and turned away.
他行了个礼,转身离开。