She had to make up her mind what to do. She would leave Venice on the Saturday that he was leaving Wragby: —
她不得不做出决定该做什么。她将在星期六离开威拉比时离开威尼斯。 —

in six days’ time. This would bring her to London on the Monday following, and she would then see him. —
六天后,她将到达伦敦,然后她会见到他。 —

She wrote to him to the London address, asking him to send her a letter to Hartland’s hotel, and to call for her on the Monday evening at seven.
她给他写信到伦敦的地址,请求他给她寄信到哈特兰酒店,并在星期一晚上七点来接她。

Inside herself she was curiously and complicatedly angry, and all her responses were numb. —
在内心深处,她感到非常复杂和愤怒,所有的反应都麻木了。 —

She refused to confide even in Hilda, and Hilda, offended by her steady silence, had become rather intimate with a Dutch woman. —
她拒绝向希尔达倾诉,而希尔达对她持续的沉默感到冒犯,与一个荷兰女人变得更亲密了。 —

Connie hated these rather stifling intimacies between women, intimacy into which Hilda always entered ponderously.
康妮讨厌女性之间的这种相对拘谨的亲密关系,希尔达总是笨拙地加入其中。

Sir Malcolm decided to travel with Connie, and Duncan could come on with Hilda. The old artist always did himself well: —
马尔科姆爵士决定与康妮一起旅行,而邓肯可以和希尔达一起来。这位老艺术家总是照顾自己良好。 —

he took berths on the Orient Express, in spite of Connie’s dislike of trains de luxe, the atmosphere of vulgar depravity there is aboard them nowadays. —
尽管康妮不喜欢豪华列车,他还是选择了奥立安特快车的座位,因为如今这些列车上充斥着庸俗堕落的氛围。 —

However, it would make the journey to Paris shorter.
然而,这会缩短到巴黎的旅程。

Sir Malcolm was always uneasy going back to his wife. It was habit carried over from the first wife. —
马尔科姆爵士总是对回到他的妻子感到不安。这是他从第一任妻子那里继承下来的习惯。 —

But there would be a house-party for the grouse, and he wanted to be well ahead. —
但是那里将会有一个为了猎犬举办的聚会,他想要尽早参加。 —

Connie, sunburnt and handsome, sat in silence, forgetting all about the landscape.
晒得又黑又帅的康妮默默地坐着,完全忘记了周围的风景。

‘A little dull for you, going back to Wragby,’ said her father, noticing her glumness.
“回到雷格比对你来说可能有点无聊,”她父亲说道,注意到她的闷闷不乐。

‘I’m not sure I shall go back to Wragby,’ she said, with startling abruptness, looking into his eyes with her big blue eyes. —
“我不确定我是否会回到雷格比,”她突然说道,用她那一双大大的蓝眼睛直直地注视着他的眼睛。 —

His big blue eyes took on the frightened look of a man whose social conscience is not quite clear.
他那双大大的蓝眼睛显得有些害怕,像一个社会良心不太清白的人一样。

‘You mean you’ll stay on in Paris a while?’
“你是指你会在巴黎多待一段时间吗?”

‘No! I mean never go back to Wragby.’
“不!我是指永远不再回到雷格比。”

He was bothered by his own little problems, and sincerely hoped he was getting none of hers to shoulder.
他为自己的一些小问题所困扰,并真诚地希望自己不会承担她的任何问题。

‘How’s that, all at once?’ he asked.
“那怎么样,一下子全都知道了吗?”他问道。

‘I’m going to have a child.’
“我要生个孩子了。”

It was the first time she had uttered the words to any living soul, and it seemed to mark a cleavage in her life.
这是她第一次对任何活人说出这些话,似乎标志着她生活中的一个裂痕。

‘How do you know?’ said her father.
“你怎么知道的?”她的父亲问道。

She smiled.
她微笑了。

‘How should I know?’
“我怎么知道呢?”

‘But not Clifford’s child, of course?’
“但当然不是克利福德的孩子了?”

‘No! Another man’s.’
“不!是另外一个男人的孩子。”

She rather enjoyed tormenting him.
她颇为享受折磨他的快感。

‘Do I know the man?’ asked Sir Malcolm.
“我认识那个男人吗?”马尔科姆爵士问道。

‘No! You’ve never seen him.’
“不!你从未见过他。”

There was a long pause.
沉默了很久。

‘And what are your plans?’
“那你有什么计划?”

‘I don’t know. That’s the point.’
“我不知道。这就是问题所在。”

‘No patching it up with Clifford?’
“不打算与克利福德和好了吗?”

‘I suppose Clifford would take it,’ said Connie. —
“我想克利福德会接受的,”康妮说。 —

‘He told me, after last time you talked to him, he wouldn’t mind if I had a child, so long as I went about it discreetly.’
“他告诉我,在你上次和他说话之后,只要我秘密地做,他不介意我生个孩子。”

‘Only sensible thing he could say, under the circumstances. Then I suppose it’ll be all right.’
“在这种情况下,只能说这样是明智的。那么我想一切都会好的。”

‘In what way?’ said Connie, looking into her father’s eyes. —
“以什么方式?”康妮看着她父亲的眼睛问道。 —

They were big blue eyes rather like her own, but with a certain uneasiness in them, a look sometimes of an uneasy little boy, sometimes a look of sullen selfishness, usually good-humoured and wary.
他们是一双大的蓝眼睛,有点像她自己的眼睛,但其中有一种不安的感觉,有时像一个不安分的小男孩的表情,有时像一个阴郁自私的表情,通常是好脾气而谨慎的表情。

‘You can present Clifford with an heir to all the Chatterleys, and put another baronet in Wragby.’
“你可以给克利福德带来一个各种寒暄的继承人,为拉格比庄园再添一位男爵。”

Sir Malcolm’s face smiled with a half-sensual smile.
马尔科姆爵士的脸上露出一丝半色情的笑容。

‘But I don’t think I want to,’ she said.
“但我不想这样做,”她说。

‘Why not? Feeling entangled with the other man? Well! —
“为什么?与另一个男人有牵连?嗯!” —

If you want the truth from me, my child, it’s this. The world goes on. —
如果你想听我真心话,我的孩子,就是这样。世界继续运转。 —

Wragby stands and will go on standing. The world is more or less a fixed thing and, externally, we have to adapt ourselves to it. —
拉格比庄园将继续存在。世界或多或少是一个固定的东西,我们必须从外部来适应它。 —

Privately, in my private opinion, we can please ourselves. Emotions change. —
就我个人而言,我们可以自己取悦自己。情感会变化。 —

You may like one man this year and another next. But Wragby still stands. —
你今年可能喜欢这个男人,明年可能喜欢另一个。但Wragby依然存在。 —

Stick by Wragby as far as Wragby sticks by you. Then please yourself. —
只要Wragby对你忠诚,你就要坚守Wragby。然后请自己高兴。 —

But you’ll get very little out of making a break. You can make a break if you wish. —
但是你离开也不会得到很多。如果你想离开,可以离开。 —

You have an independent income, the only thing that never lets you down. —
你有自己的独立收入,这是唯一不会让你失望的事情。 —

But you won’t get much out of it. Put a little baronet in Wragby. —
但你不会从中得到很多东西。在Wragby里放一个小男爵。 —

It’s an amusing thing to do.’
这是一件有趣的事情。”

And Sir Malcolm sat back and smiled again. Connie did not answer.
而马尔科姆爵士则往后靠着笑了起来。康妮没有回答。

‘I hope you had a real man at last,’ he said to her after a while, sensually alert.
他过了一会儿又有情趣地对她说:“我希望你最后找到了一个真正的男人。”

‘I did. That’s the trouble. There aren’t many of them about,’ she said.
她说:“是的。问题在于这样的男人并不多。”

‘No, by God!’ he mused. ‘There aren’t! Well, my dear, to look at you, he was a lucky man. —
他自言自语地说:“不,天哪!真的不多!好呀,亲爱的,看看你,他真是一个幸运的男人。” —

Surely he wouldn’t make trouble for you?’
他肯定不会给你惹麻烦吧?”

‘Oh no! He leaves me my own mistress entirely.’
她回答:“哦,不会!他完全让我自己做主。”

‘Quite! Quite! A genuine man would.’
他说:“当然!当然!一个真正的男人会这样做。”

Sir Malcolm was pleased. Connie was his favourite daughter, he had always liked the female in her. —
马尔科姆爵士感到高兴。康妮是他最喜欢的女儿,在她身上他总是更喜欢女性的特质。 —

Not so much of her mother in her as in Hilda. And he had always disliked Clifford. —
她体内与她的母亲相比不如与希尔达相似。而克利福德一直不受他的喜欢。 —

So he was pleased, and very tender with his daughter, as if the unborn child were his child.
所以他感到高兴,对女儿非常温柔,好像未出生的孩子就是他的孩子一样。

He drove with her to Hartland’s hotel, and saw her installed: —
他开车陪她去哈特兰德酒店,并看到她入住后离开。 —

then went round to his club. She had refused his company for the evening.
然后他去了俱乐部。她拒绝了他的陪伴。

She found a letter from Mellors.
她收到了梅勒斯的一封信。

I won’t come round to your hotel, but I’ll wait for you outside the Golden Cock in Adam Street at seven.
我不会去你的酒店,但我会在亚当街的金雄鸡外等你,七点钟。

There he stood, tall and slender, and so different, in a formal suit of thin dark cloth. —
在那里,他站着,高大瘦削,穿着一套薄黑色的正装,与众不同。 —

He had a natural distinction, but he had not the cut-to-pattern look of her class. —
他有着与生俱来的气质,但他并不像康妮这个阶层那样看上去一成不变。 —

Yet, she saw at once, he could go anywhere. —
然而,她立刻看出,他可以去任何地方。 —

He had a native breeding which was really much nicer than the cut-to-pattern class thing.
他有着一种天生的高贵,比刻板阶级更好。

‘Ah, there you are! How well you look!’
“啊,你来了!你看起来真好!”

‘Yes! But not you.’
“是啊!可是你不是。”

She looked in his face anxiously. It was thin, and the cheekbones showed. —
她焦虑地看着他的脸。瘦削的脸上显露出颧骨。 —

But his eyes smiled at her, and she felt at home with him. There it was: —
但他的眼睛对她微笑,她感觉与他在一起很舒适。就是这样: —

suddenly, the tension of keeping up her appearances fell from her. —
突然,保持形象的压力从她身上消失了。 —

Something flowed out of him physically, that made her feel inwardly at ease and happy, at home. —
有一种东西在他身上流露出来,让她内心感到舒适和快乐,仿佛回到了家。 —

With a woman’s now alert instinct for happiness, she registered it at once. —
作为一个女人,她立刻察觉到了这种幸福。 —

‘I’m happy when he’s there!’ Not all the sunshine of Venice had given her this inward expansion and warmth.
‘他在那里的时候,我很快乐!’即使是威尼斯的阳光也不能给她这种内心的扩张和温暖。

‘Was it horrid for you?’ she asked as she sat opposite him at table. He was too thin; —
‘你觉得很可怕吗?’她坐在他对面的桌子旁问道。他太瘦了; —

she saw it now. His hand lay as she knew it, with the curious loose forgottenness of a sleeping animal. —
她现在看到了。他的手放在那里,像只熟睡的动物一样迷失地摆放着。 —

She wanted so much to take it and kiss it. —
她非常想握住并亲吻他的手。 —

But she did not quite dare.
但她不敢太过放肆。

‘People are always horrid,’ he said.
‘人们总是可怕的,’他说道。

‘And did you mind very much?’
‘你很在意吗?’

‘I minded, as I always shall mind. And I knew I was a fool to mind.’
‘我在意,我永远会在意。而且我知道我在意是傻瓜。’

‘Did you feel like a dog with a tin can tied to its tail? Clifford said you felt like that.’
你有没有觉得像条被拴上锡罐的狗一样?克利福德说你感觉就像那样。

He looked at her. It was cruel of her at that moment: for his pride had suffered bitterly.
他看着她。在那一刻,她的残忍是无情的,因为他的自尊已经受到了严重的伤害。

‘I suppose I did,’ he said.
“我想我是的,” 他说道。

She never knew the fierce bitterness with which he resented insult.
她从未知道他对侮辱的强烈愤恨。

There was a long pause.
他们沉默了很久。

‘And did you miss me?’ she asked.
“你想我了吗?” 她问道。

‘I was glad you were out of it.’
“我很高兴你脱离了那一切。”

Again there was a pause.
再次沉默了一会儿。

‘But did people believe about you and me?’ she asked.
“但是人们相信我们之间的事情吗?” 她问道。

‘No! I don’t think so for a moment.’
“不!我不认为他们会相信的。”

‘Did Clifford?’
“克利福德相信吗?”

‘I should say not. He put it off without thinking about it. —
“绝对不会。他不会去想这件事情。” —

But naturally it made him want to see the last of me.’
“但是很自然地,这让他想要永远见不到我了。”

‘I’m going to have a child.’
“我要生孩子了。”

The expression died utterly out of his face, out of his whole body. —
表情完全从他的脸上消失了,从他整个身体中消失了。 —

He looked at her with darkened eyes, whose look she could not understand at all: —
他用昏暗的眼神看着她,她完全无法理解他的表情: —

like some dark-flamed spirit looking at her.
就像是一个黑暗中燃烧的灵魂看着她。

‘Say you’re glad!’ she pleaded, groping for his hand. —
“说你高兴!”她恳求着,摸索着他的手。 —

And she saw a certain exultance spring up in him. —
她看到他身上升起某种狂喜。 —

But it was netted down by things she could not understand.
但被她无法理解的事物所束缚。

‘It’s the future,’ he said.
“这是未来,”他说。

‘But aren’t you glad?’ she persisted.
“可你不高兴吗?”她坚持问道。

‘I have such a terrible mistrust of the future.’
“我对未来有着极大的不信任。”

‘But you needn’t be troubled by any responsibility. —
“但你不需要承担任何责任。 —

Clifford would have it as his own, he’d be glad.’
克里福德会把孩子当成自己的,他会高兴的。”

She saw him go pale, and recoil under this. He did not answer.
她看到他变得苍白,对此退缩了。他没有回答。

‘Shall I go back to Clifford and put a little baronet into Wragby?’ she asked.
“我要回到克里福德那里,把一个小男爵带回莱格比,好吗?”她问道。

He looked at her, pale and very remote. The ugly little grin flickered on his face.
他苍白地望着她,显得非常遥远。他脸上浮现出那个丑陋的微笑。

‘You wouldn’t have to tell him who the father was?’
“你不需要告诉他父亲是谁吗?”

‘Oh!’ she said; ‘he’d take it even then, if I wanted him to.’
“哦!”她说,“就算我要他,他也会接受的。”

He thought for a time.
他思考了一会儿。

‘Ay!’ he said at last, to himself. ‘I suppose he would.’
“啊!”他最终对着自己说。“我猜他会的。”

There was silence. A big gulf was between them.
他们之间沉默了下来,宛如有一条巨大的鸿沟隔开了他们。

‘But you don’t want me to go back to Clifford, do you?’ she asked him.
“但是你不想让我回到克利福德那里,对吗?”她问道。

‘What do you want yourself?’ he replied.
“那你自己想要什么呢?”他回答道。

‘I want to live with you,’ she said simply.
“我想和你在一起生活。”她简单地说道。

In spite of himself, little flames ran over his belly as he heard her say it, and he dropped his head. —
尽管他努力控制自己,但当他听到她说出这句话时,一股火热的感觉仍然在他的腹部蔓延开来,他垂下了头。 —

Then he looked up at her again, with those haunted eyes.
然后他又抬起头,那双被困扰的眼睛盯着她。

‘If it’s worth it to you,’ he said. ‘I’ve got nothing.’
“如果这对你来说是值得的,”他说。“我什么都没有。”

‘You’ve got more than most men. Come, you know it,’ she said.
“你比大多数男人都要更有。”她说。

‘In one way, I know it.’ He was silent for a time, thinking. Then he resumed: —
“在某种程度上,我知道。”他静默了一会儿,思考着。然后他继续说道: —

‘They used to say I had too much of the woman in me. But it’s not that. —
“他们过去常说我有太多女性的特质。但事实并非如此。 —

I’m not a woman not because I don’t want to shoot birds, neither because I don’t want to make money, or get on. —
我不是一个女人,不是因为我不想打鸟,也不是因为我不想赚钱或成功。 —

I could have got on in the army, easily, but I didn’t like the army. —
我在部队里本来可以做得很好的,但我不喜欢部队。 —

Though I could manage the men all right: —
尽管我很擅长管理士兵: —

they liked me and they had a bit of a holy fear of me when I got mad. —
当我生气时,他们喜欢我,也有点对我怀有一种敬畏之情。 —

No, it was stupid, dead-handed higher authority that made the army dead: absolutely fool-dead. —
不,那是愚蠢、无能的上级权威把军队搞得一团糟:绝对的傻瓜行为。 —

I like men, and men like me. But I can’t stand the twaddling bossy impudence of the people who run this world. —
我喜欢男人,男人也喜欢我。但是我无法忍受这个世界的统治者们那傲慢自大、爱指手画脚的态度。 —

That’s why I can’t get on. I hate the impudence of money, and I hate the impudence of class. —
这就是为什么我无法进步。我讨厌金钱的傲慢,也讨厌等级制度的傲慢。 —

So in the world as it is, what have I to offer a woman?’
所以在现实世界中,我能给一个女人什么呢?

‘But why offer anything? It’s not a bargain. It’s just that we love one another,’ she said.
“为什么要给她什么呢?这不是交易。我们只是彼此相爱。”她说道。

‘Nay, nay! It’s more than that. Living is moving and moving on. —
“不,不!这超越了爱。生活是不断前进的。 —

My life won’t go down the proper gutters, it just won’t. So I’m a bit of a waste ticket by myself. —
我的生活不会沿着正确的轨道前行,它就是不会。所以我自己就是有点浪费的存在。 —

And I’ve no business to take a woman into my life, unless my life does something and gets somewhere, inwardly at least, to keep us both fresh. —
如果我的生活没有内在的进步,至少让我们保持新鲜感,我就没有理由把一个女人带进我的生活中。 —

A man must offer a woman some meaning in his life, if it’s going to be an isolated life, and if she’s a genuine woman. —
如果这将是一个孤立的生活,并且她是一个真正的女人,一个男人必须在他的生活中给女人一些意义。 —

I can’t be just your male concubine.’
我不能只是你的男宠。

‘Why not?’ she said.
“为什么不呢?”她问道。

‘Why, because I can’t. And you would soon hate it.’
“为什么呢,因为我不能。而且你很快就会讨厌它。”

‘As if you couldn’t trust me,’ she said.
“好像你不能相信我一样,”她说。

The grin flickered on his face.
他的脸上露出一丝笑容。

‘The money is yours, the position is yours, the decisions will lie with you. —
“钱是你的,职位是你的,决策将由你做出。 —

I’m not just my Lady’s fucker, after all.’
毕竟我不只是我夫人的玩物。”

‘What else are you?’
“你还有什么呢?”

‘You may well ask. It no doubt is invisible. Yet I’m something to myself at least. —
“可以这样问。它无疑是看不见的。然而至少对我来说,我对自己意味着什么。 —

I can see the point of my own existence, though I can quite understand nobody else’s seeing it.’
我能理解别人看不到它。”

‘And will your existence have less point, if you live with me?’
“如果你和我在一起,你的存在会变得没有意义吗?”

He paused a long time before replying:
在回答之前,他停顿了很长时间。

‘It might.’
“可能。”

She too stayed to think about it.
她也静静地思考了一会儿。

‘And what is the point of your existence?’
“你的存在意义是什么?”

‘I tell you, it’s invisible. I don’t believe in the world, not in money, nor in advancement, nor in the future of our civilization. —
‘告诉你,它是无形的。我不相信这个世界,不相信金钱,不相信进步,也不相信我们文明的未来。 —

If there’s got to be a future for humanity, there’ll have to be a very big change from what now is.’
如果人类要有未来,就必须有一个非常大的变化,与现在的情况完全不同。

‘And what will the real future have to be like?’
‘那真正的未来应该是什么样子呢?

‘God knows! I can feel something inside me, all mixed up with a lot of rage. —
‘老天知道!我能感觉到内心有一种混杂着愤怒的东西。 —

But what it really amounts to, I don’t know.’
但到底是什么意味着,我不知道。

‘Shall I tell you?’ she said, looking into his face. —
‘我可以告诉你吗?’她望着他的脸说道。 —

‘Shall I tell you what you have that other men don’t have, and that will make the future? Shall I tell you?’
‘那你要我告诉你,你拥有了而其他男人没有的东西,而这将构成未来的一部分?那你要我告诉你吗?’

‘Tell me then,’ he replied.
‘那就告诉我吧,’他回答道。

‘It’s the courage of your own tenderness, that’s what it is: —
‘那就是你自己温柔的勇气,就是这样: —

like when you put your hand on my tail and say I’ve got a pretty tail.’
就像你把手放在我的尾巴上,并说我有个漂亮的尾巴。

The grin came flickering on his face.
他的脸上露出一丝笑容。

‘That!’ he said.
‘就是那个!’他说。

Then he sat thinking.
然后他坐着思考。

‘Ay!’ he said. ‘You’re right. It’s that really. It’s that all the way through. —
‘啊!’他说。‘你说得对。确实如此。一直都是如此。 —

I knew it with the men. I had to be in touch with them, physically, and not go back on it. —
我对男人感觉到了这一点。我必须与他们保持身体接触,不能后退。’ —

I had to be bodily aware of them and a bit tender to them, even if I put em through hell. —
我必须对它们身心敏感,就算我让它们痛苦。 —

It’s a question of awareness, as Buddha said. —
这是一个意识的问题,就像佛陀所说的。 —

But even he fought shy of the bodily awareness, and that natural physical tenderness, which is the best, even between men; —
但是连他也会回避身体的感觉和最好的、即使是在男人之间的自然温柔; —

in a proper manly way. Makes ‘em really manly, not so monkeyish. Ay! it’s tenderness, really; —
以一种正常的男性方式。让他们真正变得更有男子气概,而不那么像猴子一样。呀!真的是温柔; —

it’s cunt-awareness. Sex is really only touch, the closest of all touch. —
真正的性只是触碰,是最亲密的触碰。 —

And it’s touch we’re afraid of. We’re only half-conscious, and half alive. —
我们害怕的就是触碰。我们只有半意识,半活着。 —

We’ve got to come alive and aware. Especially the English have got to get into touch with one another, a bit delicate and a bit tender. —
我们必须要活过来,要变得有意识。尤其是英国人之间,要稍微细腻和温柔一些。 —

It’s our crying need.’
这是我们的切肤之需。

She looked at him.
她看着他。

‘Then why are you afraid of me?’ she said.
“那你为什么害怕我?”她忧伤地说。

He looked at her a long time before he answered.
他看了她很久才回答。

‘It’s the money, really, and the position. It’s the world in you.’
“真的,是钱和地位。是你身上的世俗之物。”

‘But isn’t there tenderness in me?’ she said wistfully.
“但是我身上没有温柔吗?”她惋惜地说。

He looked down at her, with darkened, abstract eyes.
他带着深沉抽象的眼神看着她。

‘Ay! It comes an’ goes, like in me.’
“呀!它来了又去,就像在我身上一样。”

‘But can’t you trust it between you and me?’ she asked, gazing anxiously at him.
“但是你难道不能在我们之间互相信任吗?”她焦急地看着他问道。

She saw his face all softening down, losing its armour. ‘Maybe!’ he said. They were both silent.
她见他的脸渐渐柔和下来,丢掉了他的防御装备。“也许吧!”他说。他们都沉默了。

‘I want you to hold me in your arms,’ she said. —
“我想要你抱着我,”她说道。 —

‘I want you to tell me you are glad we are having a child.’
“我想要你告诉我,你对我们要有一个孩子感到高兴。”

She looked so lovely and warm and wistful, his bowels stirred towards her.
她看起来如此可爱、温暖和渴望,他的内心对她产生了激动。

‘I suppose we can go to my room,’ he said. ‘Though it’s scandalous again.’
“我想我们可以去我的房间,”他说道。”尽管又要引起丑闻了。”

But she saw the forgetfulness of the world coming over him again, his face taking the soft, pure look of tender passion.
但她看到他再次忘记了世界,他的脸变得柔和纯净,充满了温柔的热情。

They walked by the remoter streets to Coburg Square, where he had a room at the top of the house, an attic room where he cooked for himself on a gas ring. —
他们走过偏僻的街道来到Coburg Square,他在那里有一间顶楼的房间,一间阁楼式的房间,他自己在那里用煤气灶做饭。 —

It was small, but decent and tidy.
房间虽小,但还算整洁体面。

She took off her things, and made him do the same. —
她脱下了外套,也让他脱掉了。 —

She was lovely in the soft first flush of her pregnancy.
她在怀孕初期的柔和光辉中显得美丽动人。

‘I ought to leave you alone,’ he said.
“我应该离开你一个人,”他说道。

‘No!’ she said. ‘Love me! Love me, and say you’ll keep me. Say you’ll keep me! —
“不!”她说。”爱我!爱我,并说你会留下我。说你会留下我!” —

Say you’ll never let me go, to the world nor to anybody.’
说你永远不会放开我,无论是对世界还是对任何人。

She crept close against him, clinging fast to his thin, strong naked body, the only home she had ever known.
她靠近他,紧紧地抓着他瘦弱、坚实的赤裸身体,这是她唯一曾经拥有的家。

‘Then I’ll keep thee,’ he said. ‘If tha wants it, then I’ll keep thee.’
“那么我会留下你。如果你想要的话,我会留下你。”

He held her round and fast.
他牢牢地抱住她。

‘And say you’re glad about the child,’ she repeated.
“说你对孩子高兴,”她重复着。

‘Kiss it! Kiss my womb and say you’re glad it’s there.’
“亲它!亲吻我的子宫,说你对它的存在感到高兴。”

But that was more difficult for him.
但对他来说,这更困难。

‘I’ve a dread of puttin’ children i’ th’ world,’ he said. ‘I’ve such a dread o’ th’ future for ‘em.’
“我害怕生育孩子,”他说。”我太为他们未来担忧了。”

‘But you’ve put it into me. Be tender to it, and that will be its future already. Kiss it!’
“但你把它放进了我身体里。对它要温柔,那就是它的未来。亲它!”

He quivered, because it was true. ‘Be tender to it, and that will be its future.’ —
他颤抖了,因为这是真的。”对它要温柔,那就是它的未来。” —

—At that moment he felt a sheer love for the woman. —
在那一刻,他感到对这个女人有着纯粹的爱。 —

He kissed her belly and her mound of Venus, to kiss close to the womb and the foetus within the womb.
他吻了她的肚子和她的阴丘,亲吻靠近子宫内的胎儿。

‘Oh, you love me! You love me!’ she said, in a little cry like one of her blind, inarticulate love cries. —
“哦,你爱我!你爱我!”她说着,发出她的一声盲目的、不表达的爱的呼喊。 —

And he went in to her softly, feeling the stream of tenderness flowing in release from his bowels to hers, the bowels of compassion kindled between them.
他轻轻地走进她的身体,感受到慈爱之河从他的内部释放到她的内心,他们之间燃起了同情之火。

And he realized as he went into her that this was the thing he had to do, to e into tender touch, without losing his pride or his dignity or his integrity as a man. —
他意识到当他进入她的时候,这是他必须做的事情,要展现温柔的接触,同时不失去他作为男子汉的自尊、尊严和正直。 —

After all, if she had money and means, and he had none, he should be too proud and honourable to hold back his tenderness from her on that account. —
毕竟,如果她拥有财富和资源,而他没有,他应该因此而是太骄傲和高尚,不让自己对她的温柔抱有保留。 —

‘I stand for the touch of bodily awareness between human beings,’ he said to himself, ‘and the touch of tenderness. —
“我代表人类之间身体意识的接触,”他对自己说,“还有温柔的触摸。 —

And she is my mate. And it is a battle against the money, and the machine, and the insentient ideal monkeyishness of the world. —
她是我的伴侣。这是一场反对金钱、机器以及无感知理想猴子般行为的战斗。 —

And she will stand behind me there. Thank God I’ve got a woman! —
她会站在我身后。谢天谢地,我有个女人! —

Thank God I’ve got a woman who is with me, and tender and aware of me. —
谢天谢地,我有一个与我同在、温柔而敏感的女人。 —

Thank God she’s not a bully, nor a fool. Thank God she’s a tender, aware woman.’ —
谢天谢地,她不是恶霸,也不是傻瓜。谢天谢地,她是一个温柔而敏感的女人。” —

And as his seed sprang in her, his soul sprang towards her too, in the creative act that is far more than procreative.
当他的种子在她体内生长时,他的灵魂也向着她生长,这种创造行为远远超越了生育的意义。

She was quite determined now that there should be no parting between him and her. —
她现在坚决决定不让他和她分离。 —

But the ways and means were still to settle.
但具体的方法和手段还有待解决。

‘Did you hate Bertha Coutts?’ she asked him.
“你恨伯莎·库茨吗?”她问他。

‘Don’t talk to me about her.’
“别跟我谈她。”

‘Yes! You must let me. Because once you liked her. —
“是的!你得让我问。因为你曾经喜欢过她。” —

And once you were as intimate with her as you are with me. So you have to tell me. —
“你以前和她像我和你一样亲密。所以你得告诉我。” —

Isn’t it rather terrible, when you’ve been intimate with her, to hate her so? Why is it?’
“这不是很可怕吗,当你曾经与她如此亲密,现在又恨她呢?为什么会这样?”

‘I don’t know. She sort of kept her will ready against me, always, always: her ghastly female will: —
“我不知道。她总是准备好使用她的意志反对我,总是,总是:她那可怕的女性意志——她的自由!一种女人可怕的自由,最终演变成了最可怕的欺凌!” —

her freedom! A woman’s ghastly freedom that ends in the most beastly bullying! —
“哦,她总是以自由对抗我,像硫酸在我脸上喷洒一样。” —

Oh, she always kept her freedom against me, like vitriol in my face.’
“但是她现在也没有摆脱你。她是否仍然爱着你?”

‘But she’s not free of you even now. Does she still love you?’
“不,不!如果她没有摆脱我,那是因为她有一种疯狂的愤怒,她必须试图欺负我。”

‘No, no! If she’s not free of me, it’s because she’s got that mad rage, she must try to bully me.’
“但她肯定曾经爱过你。”

‘But she must have loved you.’
“我恨伯莎·库茨,但我从未停止爱过她。”

‘No! Well, in specks she did. She was drawn to me. And I think even that she hated. —
‘不!她的眼神里是有这样的感觉的。她被我吸引了。我想她甚至恨我。 —

She loved me in moments. But she always took it back, and started bullying. —
她在某些时刻是爱我的。但她总是收回爱意,变成了恶霸。 —

Her deepest desire was to bully me, and there was no altering her. —
她最深的愿望就是欺负我,不管怎样改变都无济于事。 —

Her will was wrong, from the first.’
她的意愿从一开始就是错误的。

‘But perhaps she felt you didn’t really love her, and she wanted to make you.’
‘也许她觉得你并没有真正爱她,所以她想让你爱她。

‘My God, it was bloody making.’
我的天,这简直是折磨。

‘But you didn’t really love her, did you? You did her that wrong.’
‘但你并没有真正爱她,是吗?你对她做了错事。

‘How could I? I began to. I began to love her. But somehow, she always ripped me up. —
‘我怎么可能爱她呢?我开始爱她。但无论如何,她总是把我伤得很深。 —

No, don’t let’s talk of it. It was a doom, that was. And she was a doomed woman. —
不,我们别谈了。那是厄运。她是个注定的女人。 —

This last time, I’d have shot her like I shoot a stoat, if I’d but been allowed: —
最后一次,如果我被允许的话,我会像杀死一只鼬鼠一样射杀她: —

a raving, doomed thing in the shape of a woman! —
一个疯狂的、注定要失败的女人的形象! —

If only I could have shot her, and ended the whole misery! It ought to be allowed. —
要是我能射杀她,结束这所有的痛苦该多好!这是应该被允许的。 —

When a woman gets absolutely possessed by her own will, her own will set against everything, then it’s fearful, and she should be shot at last.’
当一个女人被自己的意愿完全控制,她的意愿与一切对立,那就是可怕的,她应该最终被射杀。’

‘And shouldn’t men be shot at last, if they get possessed by their own will?’
“如果他们被自己的意愿所附体,难道男人不应该最后被枪毙吗?”

‘Ay!—the same! But I must get free of her, or she’ll be at me again. I wanted to tell you. —
“啊!对,就是这样!但我必须摆脱她,否则她又要缠着我。我想告诉你。” —

I must get a divorce if I possibly can. So we must be careful. —
“如果可能的话,我必须离婚。所以我们必须小心。” —

We mustn’t really be seen together, you and I. I never, never could stand it if she came down on me and you.’
“我们真的不能明目张胆地在一起,你和我。如果她发现了,我绝对受不了。”

Connie pondered this.
康妮思考着这个问题。

‘Then we can’t be together?’ she said.
“那么我们不能在一起了吗?”她说道。

‘Not for six months or so. But I think my divorce will go through in September; then till March.’
“起码要等六个月左右。但我想九月份我离婚会圆满解决,然后再等到三月份。”

‘But the baby will probably be born at the end of February,’ she said.
“但宝宝很可能在二月底出生,”她说。

He was silent.
他沉默了。

‘I could wish the Cliffords and Berthas all dead,’ he said.
“我真希望克利福德一家和柏萨一家都死掉,”他说。

‘It’s not being very tender to them,’ she said.
“这不对他们很温柔,”她说。

‘Tender to them? Yea, even then the tenderest thing you could do for them, perhaps, would be to give them death. —
“对他们温柔?甚至对他们来说,你可能能做的最温柔的事情也是给他们死亡。” —

They can’t live! They only frustrate life. Their souls are awful inside them. —
“他们无法生存!他们只是破坏生命。他们的内心是可怕的。” —

Death ought to be sweet to them. And I ought to be allowed to shoot them.’
“对他们来说,死亡应该是甜美的。而我应该被允许开枪杀死他们。”

‘But you wouldn’t do it,’ she said.
“但是你不会这样做的,”她说道。

‘I would though! and with less qualms than I shoot a weasel. —
“但是它们数不胜数。哦,我照样会射击它们,没有什么顾忌。” —

It anyhow has a prettiness and a loneliness. —
“不管怎样,它确实有一种美和孤独。” —

But they are legion. Oh, I’d shoot them.’
“但是它们数不胜数。哦,我照样会射击它们。”

‘Then perhaps it is just as well you daren’t.’
“也许你不敢的话,那也挺好。”

‘Well.’
“嗯。”

Connie had now plenty to think of. It was evident he wanted absolutely to be free of Bertha Coutts. —
康妮现在有了很多可以思考的事情。很明显他绝对想要摆脱伯莎·科茨。 —

And she felt he was right. The last attack had been too grim. —
她觉得他是对的。最后一次袭击太可怕了。 —

—This meant her living alone, till spring. Perhaps she could get divorced from Clifford. But how? —
—这意味着她要一个人生活,直到春天。也许她可以和克利福德离婚。但是怎么做呢? —

If Mellors were named, then there was an end to his divorce. How loathsome! —
如果将梅勒斯的名字提出来,那么他的离婚就将无望。多么令人厌恶! —

Couldn’t one go right away, to the far ends of the earth, and be free from it all?
有没有办法远走他乡,去地球的角落,远离这一切?

One could not. The far ends of the world are not five minutes from Charing Cross, nowadays. —
一个也没有。如今,离地球的尽头并非离查令十字车站五分钟的路程。 —

While the wireless is active, there are no far ends of the earth. —
在无线电仍然存在的时候,地球的尽头就不存在了。 —

Kings of Dahomey and Lamas of Tibet listen in to London and New York.
大不列颠国王和西藏喇嘛们都在收听伦敦和纽约的广播。

Patience! Patience! The world is a vast and ghastly intricacy of mechanism, and one has to be very wary, not to get mangled by it.
耐心!耐心!世界是一个庞大而可怕的机械复杂性,一个必须谨慎小心,以免被它纠缠的世界。

Connie confided in her father.
康妮向她的父亲倾诉。

‘You see, Father, he was Clifford’s game-keeper: —
“你看,父亲,他是克利福德的看守,但他在印度军队中是一名军官。只不过他像克罗尔·C·E·弗洛伦斯一样,宁愿重新成为一名下士。” —

but he was an officer in the army in India. Only he is like Colonel C. E. Florence, who preferred to become a private soldier again.’
但是,马尔科姆爵士对于著名的C·E·弗洛伦斯那种不令人满意的神秘主义毫不同情。他觉得在所有谦卑的外表背后都隐藏着太多的广告宣传。

Sir Malcolm, however, had no sympathy with the unsatisfactory mysticism of the famous C. E. Florence. He saw too much advertisement behind all the humility. —
这看起来恰恰像是骑士最讨厌的那种自卑自大的自负心态。 —

It looked just like the sort of conceit the knight most loathed, the conceit of self-abasement.
“你的看守是从哪儿冒出来的?”马尔科姆爵士烦躁地问道。

‘Where did your game-keeper spring from?’ asked Sir Malcolm irritably.
“他在特弗斯霍尔是一个矿工的儿子。但他绝对是个上得了台面的人。”

‘He was a collier’s son in Tevershall. But he’s absolutely presentable.’
被授予爵位的艺术家越来越生气了。

The knighted artist became more angry.
“在我看来像个挖金矿的,”他说。“而你显然是个相当容易让人钻的金矿。”

‘Looks to me like a gold-digger,’ he said. ‘And you’re a pretty easy gold-mine, apparently.’
“不,父亲,不是那样的。如果你见过他就会知道。他是个有血有肉的男人。”

‘No, Father, it’s not like that. You’d know if you saw him. He’s a man. —
克利福德总是因为他不够谦卑而憎恶他。 —

Clifford always detested him for not being humble.’

‘Apparently he had a good instinct, for once.’
“显然,这次他的直觉不错。”

What Sir Malcolm could not bear was the scandal of his daughter’s having an intrigue with a game-keeper. —
“马尔科姆爵士所无法容忍的是他女儿与一个园丁保持暧昧关系的丑闻。” —

He did not mind the intrigue: he minded the scandal.
“他并不介意这场暧昧,他介意的是丑闻的传播。”

‘I care nothing about the fellow. He’s evidently been able to get round you all right. —
“我一点都不在乎这个家伙。明显他已经能够迷住你们了。” —

But, by God, think of all the talk. Think of your step-mother how she’ll take it!’
“但是,天哪,想想所有的闲言碎语。想想你的继母会怎么看待这件事!”

‘I know,’ said Connie. ‘Talk is beastly: especially if you live in society. —
“我知道,谈论太可恶了:尤其是当你生活在社会里的时候。” —

And he wants so much to get his own divorce. —
“而且他非常想要离婚。” —

I thought we might perhaps say it was another man’s child, and not mention Mellors’ name at all.’
“我想我们或许可以说这是另外一个男人的孩子,根本不提梅洛斯的名字。”

‘Another man’s! What other man’s?’
“另外一个男人的!是哪个男人?”

‘Perhaps Duncan Forbes. He has been our friend all his life.’
“也许是邓肯·福布斯。他一生都是我们的朋友。”

‘And he’s a fairly well-known artist. And he’s fond of me.’
“而且他是一个相当有名的艺术家。他也很喜欢我。”

‘Well I’m damned! Poor Duncan! And what’s he going to get out of it?’
“我要说一声该死!可怜的邓肯!他能从中得到什么好处呢?”

‘I don’t know. But he might rather like it, even.’
“我不知道。但是他或许会很喜欢这个机会。”

‘He might, might he? Well, he’s a funny man if he does. —
“他会吗?呵,他如果真喜欢的话,那他就是个奇怪的人。” —

Why, you’ve never even had an affair with him, have you?’
“咦,你甚至都没有和他有过一段暧昧吧?”

‘No! But he doesn’t really want it. He only loves me to be near him, but not to touch him.’
‘不!但他并不真正想要那个。他只是喜欢我靠近他,但不喜欢碰他。’

‘My God, what a generation!’
‘我的天啊,真是一代人啊!’

‘He would like me most of all to be a model for him to paint from. Only I never wanted to.’
‘他最希望我成为他的绘画模特,只是我从来不想这样做。’

‘God help him! But he looks down-trodden enough for anything.’
‘上帝保佑他!不过他看起来足够沮丧,什么事都做得出来。’

‘Still, you wouldn’t mind so much the talk about him?’
‘不过,你不会太在意别人对他的闲话吗?’

‘My God, Connie, all the bloody contriving!’
‘我的天啊,康妮,他们都在煞费苦心!’

‘I know! It’s sickening! But what can I do?’
‘我知道!太让人恶心了!但我能做什么呢?’

‘Contriving, conniving; conniving, contriving! Makes a man think he’s lived too long.’
‘煞费苦心,挖空心思;挖空心思,煞费苦心!让人觉得自己活得太长了。’

‘Come, Father, if you haven’t done a good deal of contriving and conniving in your time, you may talk.’
‘父亲,如果你在这个年代没有煞费苦心和挖空心思,那你可以说说。’

‘But it was different, I assure you.’
‘但情况不同,我向你保证。’

‘It’s always different.’
‘情况总是不同。’

Hilda arrived, also furious when she heard of the new developments. —
希尔达也愤怒地赶到了,当她听说了新的进展时。 —

And she also simply could not stand the thought of a public scandal about her sister and a game-keeper. —
而且她简直无法忍受关于她妹妹和一个看门人的公开丑闻的想法。 —

Too, too humiliating!
太太太丢脸了!

‘Why should we not just disappear, separately, to British Columbia, and have no scandal?’ said Connie.
‘我们干嘛不分道扬镳,各自消失到不列颠哥伦比亚去,避免丑闻呢?’康妮说。

But that was no good. The scandal would come out just the same. —
但这没用。丑闻仍会被曝光。 —

And if Connie was going with the man, she’d better be able to marry him. —
如果康妮和这个男人在一起,她最好能嫁给他。 —

This was Hilda’s opinion. Sir Malcolm wasn’t sure. —
这是希尔达的观点,马尔科姆爵士对此不太确定。 —

The affair might still blow over.
这个事情可能还会平息。

‘But will you see him, Father?’
“但是,父亲,你会见他吗?”

Poor Sir Malcolm! he was by no means keen on it. And poor Mellors, he was still less keen. —
可怜的马尔科姆爵士!他对此一点也不热衷。而可怜的梅洛斯,对此更是不热衷。 —

Yet the meeting took place: a lunch in a private room at the club, the two men alone, looking one another up and down.
然而,他们还是见面了:在俱乐部的一个私人房间里共进午餐,两个人独自一人,相互打量着对方。

Sir Malcolm drank a fair amount of whisky, Mellors also drank. —
马尔科姆爵士喝了相当大量的威士忌,梅洛斯也喝了一些。 —

And they talked all the while about India, on which the young man was well informed.
他们一直在谈论印度,这个年轻人对此很了解。

This lasted during the meal. Only when coffee was served, and the waiter had gone, Sir Malcolm lit a cigar and said, heartily:
这样的谈话在用餐期间进行,直到上咖啡时,服务员离开,马尔科姆爵士点了一支雪茄,热情地说道:

‘Well, young man, and what about my daughter?’
“年轻人,说说我的女儿吧。”

The grin flickered on Mellors’ face.
微笑在梅洛斯的脸上闪烁。

‘Well, Sir, and what about her?’
“好的,爵士,关于她有什么问题?”

‘You’ve got a baby in her all right.’
“你在她肚子里有个孩子。”

‘I have that honour!’ grinned Mellors.
“我有这个荣幸!”梅洛斯笑嘻嘻地说道。

‘Honour, by God!’ Sir Malcolm gave a little squirting laugh, and became Scotch and lewd. —
“哈哈,我的血浓于水啊!你真是点燃了她的干草堆。哈哈哈!” —

‘Honour! How was the going, eh? Good, my boy, what?’
“天啊!进展如何啊?不错,孩子,不错吧?”

‘Good!’
“好啊!”

‘I’ll bet it was! Ha-ha! My daughter, chip of the old block, what! —
“我敢打赌它就是!哈哈!我女儿真是老子的一枚砖啊!” —

I never went back on a good bit of fucking, myself. Though her mother, oh, holy saints!’ —
“我从不拒绝一次痛快的性交。尽管她的母亲,哦,天啊!” —

He rolled his eyes to heaven. ‘But you warmed her up, oh, you warmed her up, I can see that. Ha-ha! —
他向天空翻了个白眼。“不过你把她给激情了,哦,你激情了她,我能看出来。哈哈!” —

My blood in her! You set fire to her haystack all right. Ha-ha-ha! —
“她有我的血液啊!你确实点燃了她的干草堆。哈哈哈!” —

I was jolly glad of it, I can tell you. She needed it. —
“我非常高兴,我告诉你。她需要这个。” —

Oh, she’s a nice girl, she’s a nice girl, and I knew she’d be good going, if only some damned man would set her stack on fire! —
“哦,她是个好姑娘,她是个好姑娘,我知道只要有个该死的男人激情她,她就会很棒!” —

Ha-ha-ha! A game-keeper, eh, my boy! Bloody good poacher, if you ask me. Ha-ha! —
“哈哈哈!一个看守,嗯,老子要说一个该死的好偷猎者。哈哈!” —

But now, look here, speaking seriously, what are we going to do about it? —
“但现在,听着,说正经的,我们要怎么办?” —

Speaking seriously, you know!’
“说正经的,你知道的!”

Speaking seriously, they didn’t get very far. —
“说正经的,他们没怎么聊得下去。” —

Mellors, though a little tipsy, was much the soberer of the two. —
梅洛,尽管有点醉了,但仍是两人中更清醒的。 —

He kept the conversation as intelligent as possible: —
他尽可能保持对话的智慧程度: —

which isn’t saying much.
这话也没什么特别的。

‘So you’re a game-keeper! Oh, you’re quite right! —
“你是一个园丁!哦,你是对的! —

That sort of game is worth a man’s while, eh, what? —
这样的游戏令一个人值得努力,怎么样? —

The test of a woman is when you pinch her bottom. —
考验一个女人的方法就是捏她的屁股。 —

You can tell just by the feel of her bottom if she’s going to come up all right. —
你可以通过摸她的屁股来判断她是否好。 —

Ha-ha! I envy you, my boy. How old are you?’
哈哈!我羡慕你,我的孩子。你多大了?

‘Thirty-nine.’
“三十九岁。”

The knight lifted his eyebrows.
骑士扬起了眉毛。

‘As much as that! Well, you’ve another good twenty years, by the look of you. —
“这么多!看你的样子还有二十多年。 —

Oh, game-keeper or not, you’re a good cock. I can see that with one eye shut. —
哦,不管你是不是园丁,你是个好人。我闭一只眼都能看出来。 —

Not like that blasted Clifford! A lily-livered hound with never a fuck in him, never had. —
不像那该死的克利福德!一个没勇气的狗,从来没有性爱。 —

I like you, my boy, I’ll bet you’ve a good cod on you; oh, you’re a bantam, I can see that. —
我喜欢你,我的孩子,我敢打赌你下面的家伙很棒,哦,你是个斗鸡,我能看出来。 —

You’re a fighter. Game-keeper! Ha-ha, by crikey, I wouldn’t trust my game to you! —
你是个斗士。园丁!哈哈,我不能把我的游戏寄托给你! —

But look here, seriously, what are we going to do about it? —
但是看这里,认真点,我们要怎么办? —

The world’s full of blasted old women.’
这个世界充斥着一群该死的老女人。

Seriously, they didn’t do anything about it, except establish the old free-masonry of male sensuality between them.
说真的,他们除了在彼此之间建立男人之间的老顽童俱乐部外,什么都没做。

‘And look here, my boy, if ever I can do anything for you, you can rely on me. Game-keeper! —
‘听着,伙计,如果将来我能帮你什么忙,你就放心找我。猎场管理员! —

Christ, but it’s rich! I like it! Oh, I like it! Shows the girl’s got spunk. What? —
天哪,真够狂妄!我喜欢!哦,我喜欢!这证明了那姑娘有胆量。什么? —

After all, you know, she has her own income, moderate, moderate, but above starvation. —
毕竟,你知道,她有自己的收入,不高不低,但足够不至于饿肚子。 —

And I’ll leave her what I’ve got. By God, I will. —
我会把我自己的东西留给她。我发誓,我会这么做的。 —

She deserves it for showing spunk, in a world of old women. —
她活在一个老女人的世界里,表现出了胆量,她应该得到这份奖励。 —

I’ve been struggling to get myself clear of the skirts of old women for seventy years, and haven’t managed it yet. —
我奋斗七十年来都无法摆脱老女人的裙摆。 —

But you’re the man, I can see that.’
但你是不同的,我看出来了。

‘I’m glad you think so. They usually tell me, in a sideways fashion, that I’m the monkey.’
‘很高兴你这么认为。他们通常以斜眼的方式告诉我,我是个猴子。

‘Oh, they would! My dear fellow, what could you be but a monkey, to all the old women?’
‘哦,他们肯定会这么说!亲爱的伙计,你除了被老女人称为猴子,还能是什么呢?

They parted most genially, and Mellors laughed inwardly all the time for the rest of the day.
他们友好地分道扬镳,梅勒斯整天都在内心欢笑。

The following day he had lunch with Connie and Hilda, at some discreet place.
第二天,他和康妮、希尔达在某个隐蔽的地方共进午餐。

‘It’s a very great pity it’s such an ugly situation all round,’ said Hilda.
“这种情况确实很糟糕,各方面都是这么丑陋,“希尔达说。

‘I had a lot o’ fun out of it,’ said he.
“我从中得到了很多乐趣,“他说。

‘I think you might have avoided putting children into the world until you were both free to marry and have children.’
“我想你们本可以等到两人自由结婚并要孩子后再生孩子的。”

‘The Lord blew a bit too soon on the spark,’ said he.
“上帝来得有点早了,“他说。

‘I think the Lord had nothing to do with it. —
“我觉得上帝和此事无关。” —

Of course, Connie has enough money to keep you both, but the situation is unbearable.’
“当然,康妮有足够的钱来养你们两个,但这种局面是无法忍受的。”

‘But then you don’t have to bear more than a small corner of it, do you?’ said he.
“但是你不需要承担太多责任,对吧?“他说。

‘If you’d been in her own class.’
“如果你们都是同一个社会阶层就好了。”

‘Or if I’d been in a cage at the Zoo.’
“要是我在动物园里被关在笼子里就好了。”

There was silence.
沉默了片刻。

‘I think,’ said Hilda, ‘it will be best if she names quite another man as co-respondent and you stay out of it altogether.’
“我觉得,如果她指认一个完全不同的男人作为共同被告,你最好完全不涉及其中。”

‘But I thought I’d put my foot right in.’
“但是我打算趟过这浑水。”

‘I mean in the divorce proceedings.’
“我指的是离婚诉讼。”

He gazed at her in wonder. Connie had not dared mention the Duncan scheme to him.
他惊讶地看着她。康妮不敢向他提起邓肯计划。

‘I don’t follow,’ he said.
“我不明白,”他说。

‘We have a friend who would probably agree to be named as co-respondent, so that your name need not appear,’ said Hilda.
“我们有个朋友可能会同意做共同被告,这样你的名字就不会出现了,”希尔达说。

‘You mean a man?’
“你是指一个男人吗?”

‘Of course!’
“当然!”

‘But she’s got no other?’
“但是她没有其他人吗?”

He looked in wonder at Connie.
他惊奇地看着康妮。

‘No, no!’ she said hastily. ‘Only that old friendship, quite simple, no love.’
“不,不!”她急忙说道。“只是那份古老的友谊,很简单,没有爱情。”

‘Then why should the fellow take the blame? If he’s had nothing out of you?’
“那这人为什么要背黑锅呢?如果他从你这里得不到任何好处?”

‘Some men are chivalrous and don’t only count what they get out of a woman,’ said Hilda.
“有些男人很骑士风度,不仅仅看中从女人身上获得了什么好处,”希尔达说。

‘One for me, eh? But who’s the johnny?’
“是给我的一个吧?不过这个家伙是谁?”

‘A friend whom we’ve known since we were children in Scotland, an artist.’
“我们从苏格兰小时候认识的朋友,一个艺术家。”

‘Duncan Forbes!’ he said at once, for Connie had talked to him. —
“邓肯·福布斯!”他立刻说道,因为康妮之前和他谈过。 —

‘And how would you shift the blame on to him?’
“你打算怎么把罪名推到他身上?”

‘They could stay together in some hotel, or she could even stay in his apartment.’
“他们可以一起住在某个酒店,或者她甚至可以住在他的公寓里。”

‘Seems to me like a lot of fuss for nothing,’ he said.
“对我来说,这样的麻烦似乎没什么意义。”他说道。

‘What else do you suggest?’ said Hilda. ‘If your name appears, you will get no divorce from your wife, who is apparently quite an impossible person to be mixed up with.’
“你还有其他什么建议?”希尔达说。“如果你的名字出现,你就无法和那个似乎非常难缠的妻子离婚了。”

‘All that!’ he said grimly.
“所有这些!”他严肃地说道。

There was a long silence.
长时间的沉默。

‘We could go right away,’ he said.
“我们可以马上走,”他说道。

‘There is no right away for Connie,’ said Hilda. ‘Clifford is too well known.’
“对康妮来说,并没有马上这个说法,”希尔达说道。“克利福德太出名了。”

Again the silence of pure frustration.
再次陷入纯粹的沮丧的沉默。

‘The world is what it is. If you want to live together without being persecuted, you will have to marry. —
‘世界如此,如果你想一起生活而不受迫害,你们将不得不结婚。’ —

To marry, you both have to be divorced. So how are you both going about it?’
‘结婚的话,你们两个都必须离婚。那么你们打算怎么办?’

He was silent for a long time.
他默默无语地待了很长时间。

‘How are you going about it for us?’ he said.
‘你们为我们打算怎么办呢?’他说。

‘We will see if Duncan will consent to figure as co-respondent: —
‘我们将看邓肯是否同意充当第三者:’ —

then we must get Clifford to divorce Connie: —
‘然后我们必须让克利离婚康妮:’ —

and you must go on with your divorce, and you must both keep apart till you are free.’
‘你必须继续办理你们的离婚手续,并且在你们自由之前必须保持分开。’

‘Sounds like a lunatic asylum.’
‘听起来像是个疯人院。’

‘Possibly! And the world would look on you as lunatics: or worse.;
‘有可能!而且世界会把你们当成疯子:或者更糟。’

‘What is worse?’
‘更糟的是什么?’

‘Criminals, I suppose.’
‘罪犯,我想。’

‘Hope I can plunge in the dagger a few more times yet,’ he said, grinning. —
‘希望我还能再插几次刀子,’他咧嘴笑道。 —

Then he was silent, and angry.
然后他沉默了,愤怒了。

‘Well!’ he said at last. ‘I agree to anything. The world is a raving idiot, and no man can kill it: —
‘好吧!’他最后说道。’世界是疯狂的白痴,没有人能杀死它:虽然我会尽力。但你是对的。’ —

though I’ll do my best. But you re right. —

We must rescue ourselves as best we can.’
我们必须尽力自救。

He looked in humiliation, anger, weariness and misery at Connie.
他羞愧、愤怒、疲惫和痛苦地看着康妮。

‘Ma lass!’ he said. ‘The world’s goin’ to put salt on thy tail.’
“我的姑娘!”他说。“世界将要给你扣上盐呢。”

‘Not if we don’t let it,’ she said.
“除非我们自己不答应。”她说。

She minded this conniving against the world less than he did.
她对这种与世界斗心机并不像他那么介意。

Duncan, when approached, also insisted on seeing the delinquent game-keeper, so there was a dinner, this time in his flat: —
当达尔肯被接近时,他也坚持要见这个疏忽的看守者,所以这次晚餐又在他的公寓里举行了:有四个人。达尔肯是个相当矮、健壮、皮肤很黑、寡言的哈姆雷特式的家伙,直直的黑发,还有一种奇怪的凯尔特族自负。 —

the four of them. Duncan was a rather short, broad, dark-skinned, taciturn Hamlet of a fellow with straight black hair and a weird Celtic conceit of himself. —

His art was all tubes and valves and spirals and strange colours, ultra-modern, yet with a certain power, even a certain purity of form and tone: —
他的艺术作品全都是由管道、阀门、螺旋线和奇特的颜色构成的,极具现代感,却又带有一种特定的力量,甚至是一种纯净的形式和音调。 —

only Mellors thought it cruel and repellent. —
只有梅洛斯觉得这种风格残酷和令人厌恶。 —

He did not venture to say so, for Duncan was almost insane on the point of his art: —
他不敢说出来,因为邓肯在艺术问题上几乎已经疯狂了。 —

it was a personal cult, a personal religion with him.
这对他来说是一种个人崇拜,一种个人的宗教信仰。

They were looking at the pictures in the studio, and Duncan kept his smallish brown eyes on the other man. —
他们正在工作室里看画,邓肯一直用他那又小又棕色的眼睛盯着其他人。 —

He wanted to hear what the game-keeper would say. —
他想听听看看看护人会说些什么。 —

He knew already Connie’s and Hilda’s opinions.
他已经知道了康妮和希尔达的观点。

‘It is like a pure bit of murder,’ said Mellors at last; —
‘这就像一次纯粹的谋杀,’梅洛斯最后说道; —

a speech Duncan by no means expected from a game-keeper.
一个猎鸟者从来没有预料到会有这样的发言。

‘And who is murdered?’ asked Hilda, rather coldly and sneeringly.
‘是谁被谋杀了?‘希尔达冷冷地嘲笑着问道。

‘Me! It murders all the bowels of compassion in a man.’
‘是我!它杀死了一个人中的所有怜悯之情。’

A wave of pure hate came out of the artist. —
一股纯粹的仇恨之波从艺术家那里迸发出来。 —

He heard the note of dislike in the other man’s voice, and the note of contempt. —
他听到了那个人声音中的不喜欢和鄙视。 —

And he himself loathed the mention of bowels of compassion. Sickly sentiment!
他本人憎恶提到怜悯之情。令人作呕的感伤!

Mellors stood rather tall and thin, worn-looking, gazing with flickering detachment that was something like the dancing of a moth on the wing, at the pictures.
梅洛斯站得相对高大、瘦削,看着那些一直在颤动着的困扰的目光,犹如蜡融于蜡翼上的飞舞。

‘Perhaps stupidity is murdered; sentimental stupidity,’ sneered the artist.
‘也许愚蠢受到杀害了,感伤的愚蠢,’艺术家嘲笑道。

‘Do you think so? I think all these tubes and corrugated vibrations are stupid enough for anything, and pretty sentimental. —
‘你这样认为吗?我认为所有这些管子和蠕动震荡够愚蠢的,而且相当感伤。 —

They show a lot of self-pity and an awful lot of nervous self-opinion, seems to me.’
它们显示了很多的自怜和令人不安的自以为是,对我来说是这样看的。’

In another wave of hate the artist’s face looked yellow. —
在另一股仇恨之波中,艺术家的脸变得发黄。 —

But with a sort of silent hauteur he turned the pictures to the wall.
但他带着一种无声的傲慢将画品转向墙壁。

‘I think we may go to the dining-room,’ he said. And they trailed off, dismally.
“我想我们可以去餐厅了,” 他说道。 他们黯然离去。

After coffee, Duncan said:
喝完咖啡后,邓肯说道:

‘I don’t at all mind posing as the father of Connie’s child. —
“我完全不介意扮演康妮孩子的父亲。 —

But only on the condition that she’ll come and pose as a model for me. —
但前提是她要来给我当模特。 —

I’ve wanted her for years, and she’s always refused.’ —
多年来我一直想要她,但她总是拒绝。” —

He uttered it with the dark finality of an inquisitor announcing an auto da fe.
他说话的语气像一个宣判者宣布火刑审判一样阴森可怖。

‘Ah!’ said Mellors. ‘You only do it on condition, then?’
“啊!”梅勒斯说道。“那你只在这个条件下才愿意做吗?”

‘Quite! I only do it on that condition.’ The artist tried to put the utmost contempt of the other person into his speech. —
“完全是!只有在那个条件下才愿意。”艺术家试图用他的言辞表达对另一个人的极度蔑视。 —

He put a little too much.
他有些过分了。

‘Better have me as a model at the same time,’ said Mellors. —
“最好同时让我也成为你的模特儿,”梅勒斯说道。 —

‘Better do us in a group, Vulcan and Venus under the net of art. —
“最好把我们一起画,火神和维纳斯被艺术的网罩着。” —

I used to be a blacksmith, before I was a game-keeper.’
“我以前是个铁匠,在成为园林管理员之前。”

‘Thank you,’ said the artist. ‘I don’t think Vulcan has a figure that interests me.’
“谢谢,”艺术家说道。“我不认为火神的身材对我有足够的吸引力。”

‘Not even if it was tubified and titivated up?’
“即使火神被装点得漂漂亮亮的,你也不会喜欢吗?”

There was no answer. The artist was too haughty for further words.
没有回答。艺术家太高傲了,无需再说什么。

It was a dismal party, in which the artist henceforth steadily ignored the presence of the other man, and talked only briefly, as if the words were wrung out of the depths of his gloomy portentousness, to the women.
这是一个沉闷的聚会,艺术家从此开始彻底忽视另外一个人的存在,只对女性们简短地说话,仿佛言辞从他阴郁而不详的深处挤出来一样。

‘You didn’t like him, but he’s better than that, really. —
“你不喜欢他,但他其实比那好多了。 —

He’s really kind,’ Connie explained as they left.
他其实很好心,”康妮离开时解释道。

‘He’s a little black pup with a corrugated distemper,’ said Mellors.
“他是只有皱纹病的小黑狗,”梅勒斯说道。

‘No, he wasn’t nice today.’
不,他今天不好。

‘And will you go and be a model to him?’
你会去成为他的模特吗?

‘Oh, I don’t really mind any more. He won’t touch me. —
哦,我已经不介意了。他不会碰我。 —

And I don’t mind anything, if it paves the way to a life together for you and me.’
如果这能为你和我一起过上美好的生活铺平道路,我什么都不介意。

‘But he’ll only shit on you on canvas.’
但他只会在画布上毁坏你。

‘I don’t care. He’ll only be painting his own feelings for me, and I don’t mind if he does that. —
我不在乎。他只会用他自己的感受来描绘我,而我不介意。 —

I wouldn’t have him touch me, not for anything. —
我绝不让他碰我,无论如何都不行。 —

But if he thinks he can do anything with his owlish arty staring, let him stare. —
但是如果他觉得他可以用他那副猫头鹰一样的艺术眼睛来做任何事情,就让他眼睛瞪去吧。 —

He can make as many empty tubes and corrugations out of me as he likes. It’s his funeral. —
他可以尽情从我身上制造空心的管子和褶皱,随他喜欢。这是他自己的葬礼。 —

He hated you for what you said: that his tubified art is sentimental and self-important. —
他因为你说他那些把艺术弄成管状的作品是感情用事和自负而憎恨你。 —

But of course it’s true.’
但当然这是真的。