Dear Clifford, I am afraid what you foresaw has happened. —
亲爱的克利福德,恐怕你预料到的事情已经发生了。 —

I am really in love with another man, and do hope you will divorce me. —
我真的爱上了另一个男人,也希望你能和我离婚。 —

I am staying at present with Duncan its his flat. I told you he was at Venice with us. —
我目前和邓肯住在一起,这是他的公寓。我告诉你他和我们一起去了威尼斯。 —

I’m awfully unhappy for your sake: but do try to take it quietly. —
为了你的缘故,我非常不快乐,但请尽量冷静面对。 —

You don’t really need me any more, and I can’t bear to come back to Wragby. I’m awfully sorry. —
你真的不再需要我了,我也无法忍受回到Wragby。我非常抱歉。 —

But do try to forgive me, and divorce me and find someone better. —
但请原谅我,离婚并找到更好的人。 —

I’m not really the right person for you, I am too impatient and selfish, I suppose. —
我并不适合你,我太急躁和自私,我想。 —

But I can’t ever come back to live with you again. —
但我再也不能和你一起生活了。 —

And I feel so frightfully sorry about it all, for your sake. —
为了你的缘故,我感到非常遗憾。 —

But if you don’t let yourself get worked up, you’ll see you won’t mind so frightfully. —
但如果你不让自己变得激动,你会发现你不会那么在意。 —

You didn’t really care about me personally. —
你并不真正关心我个人。 —

So do forgive me and get rid of me.
所以请原谅我,摆脱我。

Clifford was not inwardly surprised to get this letter. —
在心底里,克利福德早就知道会收到这封信。 —

Inwardly, he had known for a long time she was leaving him. —
他心里早就知道她要离开他了。 —

But he had absolutely refused any outward admission of it. —
但是他绝对不肯对外承认它。 —

Therefore, outwardly, it came as the most terrible blow and shock to him, He had kept the surface of his confidence in her quite serene.
因此,表面上对他来说,这是最可怕的打击和震惊,他对她的信任仍保持着镇定。

And that is how we are, By strength of will we cut of four inner intuitive knowledge from admitted consciousness. —
这就是我们的状态。凭借意志力,我们将四个内在的直觉知识从承认的意识中割离出来。 —

This causes a state of dread, or apprehension, which makes the blow ten times worse when it does fall.
这引起了一种恐惧或担忧的状态,当打击来临时,会使状况变得更加糟糕十倍。

Clifford was like a hysterical child. He gave Mrs Bolton a terrible shock, sitting up in bed ghastly and blank.
克利福德就像一个歇斯底里的孩子。他让博尔顿夫人震惊不已,坐在床上面无人色,茫然不知所措。

‘Why, Sir Clifford, whatever’s the matter?’
“奶奶,克利福德先生,怎么了?”

No answer! She was terrified lest he had had a stroke. —
没有回答!她害怕他中风了。 —

She hurried and felt his face, took his pulse.
她匆忙抚摸他的脸,摸他的脉搏。

‘Is there a pain? Do try and tell me where it hurts you. Do tell me!’
“有疼痛吗?试着告诉我哪里痛。告诉我呀!”

No answer!
没有回答!

‘Oh dear, oh dear! Then I’ll telephone to Sheffield for Dr Carrington, and Dr Lecky may as well run round straight away.’
“天啊!那我给谢菲尔德打电话叫卡林顿医生过来,而且莱基医生也可以赶紧过来。”

She was moving to the door, when he said in a hollow tone:
她正走向门口时,他用空洞的声音说道:

‘No!’
“不!”

She stopped and gazed at him. His face was yellow, blank, and like the face of an idiot.
她停下来盯着他看。他脸色发黄,木然无表情,像个白痴一样。

‘Do you mean you’d rather I didn’t fetch the doctor?’
“你是说你宁愿我不去请医生?”

‘Yes! I don’t want him,’ came the sepulchral voice.
“是的!我不希望他来。”那个低沉的声音说道。

‘Oh, but Sir Clifford, you’re ill, and I daren’t take the responsibility. —
“哦,但是克利福德爵士,你病了,我不敢负担这个责任。我必须去请医生,否则会被责备的。” —

I must send for the doctor, or I shall be blamed.’
短暂的停顿后,空洞的声音说道:

A pause: then the hollow voice said:
“我没病。我的妻子不会回来了。”——就像一个影像在说话。

‘I’m not ill. My wife isn’t coming back.’—It was as if an image spoke.
“不回来?你是指贵夫人?”波尔顿夫人稍微靠近床边。

‘Not coming back? you mean her ladyship?’ Mrs Bolton moved a little nearer to the bed. —
“哦,别相信那些。你可以相信贵夫人会回来的。” —

‘Oh, don’t you believe it. You can trust her ladyship to come back.’
床上的影像没有改变,但它把一封信推过盖毯。

The image in the bed did not change, but it pushed a letter over the counterpane.
“念!”那低沉的声音说道。

‘Read it!’ said the sepulchral voice.
“噢,如果是她贵夫人的信,我确信她并不想让我读她给您的信,克利福德爵士。如果您愿意,您可以告诉我她写了什么。”

‘Why, if it’s a letter from her ladyship, I’m sure her ladyship wouldn’t want me to read her letter to you, Sir Clifford. —
“念!”声音重复道。 —

You can tell me what she says, if you wish.’
“噢,如果一定要我读,那我就为了遵守您的命令而读,克利福德爵士。”她说着读起了信。

‘Read it!’ repeated the voice.
“对不起了!”她说完,连忙放下了信。

‘Why, if I must, I do it to obey you, Sir Clifford,’ she said. And she read the letter.
“噢,这简直太不可思议了!”

‘Well, I am surprised at her ladyship,’ she said. ‘She promised so faithfully she’d come back!’
“哎呀,她夫人真是出乎我的意料。”她说道,“她曾如此信誓旦旦地说会回来的!”

The face in the bed seemed to deepen its expression of wild, but motionless distraction. —
床上的脸似乎更加表现出一种狂野,但却是静止的迷乱表情。 —

Mrs Bolton looked at it and was worried. She knew what she was up against: male hysteria. —
看着它,伯尔顿夫人感到担忧。她知道她面对的是男性的狂躁症。 —

She had not nursed soldiers without learning something about that very unpleasant disease.
她曾经治愈过士兵,因此对这种极为不愉快的疾病有所了解。

She was a little impatient of Sir Clifford. —
她对克利福德爵士有点不耐烦。 —

Any man in his senses must have known his wife was in love with somebody else, and was going to leave him. —
任何一个理智的人都应该知道他的妻子爱上了别人,将要离开他。 —

Even, she was sure, Sir Clifford was inwardly absolutely aware of it, only he wouldn’t admit it to himself. —
即使,她确信,克利福德爵士内心深处完全意识到这一点,只是他不愿意承认。 —

If he would have admitted it, and prepared himself for it: —
如果他愿意承认并为此作好准备: —

or if he would have admitted it, and actively struggled with his wife against it: —
或者如果他愿意承认并与他的妻子积极斗争: —

that would have been acting like a man. But no! —
那就是像个男人一样行事了。但是没有! —

he knew it, and all the time tried to kid himself it wasn’t so. —
他知道这一点,却一直试图欺骗自己这并非如此。 —

He felt the devil twisting his tail, and pretended it was the angels smiling on him. —
他感到魔鬼在拧动他的尾巴,但又假装那是天使对他微笑。 —

This state of falsity had now brought on that crisis of falsity and dislocation, hysteria, which is a form of insanity. —
这种虚假的状态已经带来了虚假和错位的危机,即一种疯狂的情绪状态,这是一种疯狂。 —

‘It comes’, she thought to herself, hating him a little, ‘because he always thinks of himself. —
“这是因为他总是只想着自己”,她心里想着,有些讨厌他,“他太过于沉浸在自己不朽的自我之中,以至于当他受到震撼时,就像一个被自己裹住绷带的木乃伊。看着他!” —

He’s so wrapped up in his own immortal self, that when he does get a shock he’s like a mummy tangled in its own bandages. Look at him!’
但是癔症是危险的:作为一名护士,她有责任将他救出来。

But hysteria is dangerous: and she was a nurse, it was her duty to pull him out. —
任何试图唤醒他的男子气概和自尊心只会让他更糟糕: —

Any attempt to rouse his manhood and his pride would only make him worse: —
因为他的男子气概已经死了,即使是暂时的也一样。 —

for his manhood was dead, temporarily if not finally. —
他只会越来越柔软地扭动,就像一条蠕虫,变得更加错位。 —

He would only squirm softer and softer, like a worm, and become more dislocated.
唯一的办法就是释放他的自怜。就像Tennyson的那位女士一样,他要么哭泣,要么死去。

The only thing was to release his self-pity. Like the lady in Tennyson, he must weep or he must die.
于是,博尔顿夫人开始哭泣。她用手捂住脸,突然放声痛哭起来。

So Mrs Bolton began to weep first. She covered her face with her hand and burst into little wild sobs. —
“我真不敢相信她夫人会这样!” —

‘I would never have believed it of her ladyship, I wouldn’t!’ —

she wept, suddenly summoning up all her old grief and sense of woe, and weeping the tears of her own bitter chagrin. —
她哭泣着,突然召唤起她所有的旧悲伤和苦恼,哭泣着属于她自己的痛苦失望之泪。 —

Once she started, her weeping was genuine enough, for she had had something to weep for.
一旦开始,她的哭泣是真实的,因为她有东西可以为之哭泣。

Clifford thought of the way he had been betrayed by the woman Connie, and in a contagion of grief, tears filled his eyes and began to run down his cheeks. —
克利福德想起被康妮背叛的方式,悲伤的感染令他的眼泪充满双眼,顺着脸颊滑落。 —

He was weeping for himself. Mrs Bolton, as soon as she saw the tears running over his blank face, hastily wiped her own wet cheeks on her little handkerchief, and leaned towards him.
他在为他自己而哭泣。当布尔顿夫人看到泪水滴在他茫然的脸上时,匆忙用手帕擦拭自己湿润的脸颊,并倾身向他靠近。

‘Now, don’t you fret, Sir Clifford!’ she said, in a luxury of emotion. —
“现在,不要悲伤,克利福德先生!”她情感汹涌地说道。 —

‘Now, don’t you fret, don’t, you’ll only do yourself an injury!’
“现在,不要悲伤,不要,你只会自寻烦恼!”

His body shivered suddenly in an indrawn breath of silent sobbing, and the tears ran quicker down his face. —
他的身体突然颤抖,无声的呜咽引发了更快的眼泪。 —

She laid her hand on his arm, and her own tears fell again. —
她把手放在他的胳膊上,她自己的泪水再次流淌。 —

Again the shiver went through him, like a convulsion, and she laid her arm round his shoulder. —
颤动再次传遍他的全身,像一次痉挛,她把手搭在他的肩膀上。 —

‘There, there! There, there! Don’t you fret, then, don’t you! Don’t you fret!’ —
‘在那里,哪里!在那里,哪里!别担心,别担心!别担心!’ —

she moaned to him, while her own tears fell. —
她对他抱怨着,自己的眼泪也流了下来。 —

And she drew him to her, and held her arms round his great shoulders, while he laid his face on her bosom and sobbed, shaking and hulking his huge shoulders, whilst she softly stroked his dusky-blond hair and said: —
她把他拉到自己身边,用双臂环绕住他宽阔的肩膀,他把脸埋在她的怀中,哭泣着,颤抖着巨大的肩膀,而她轻轻地抚摸着他深褐色的金发,说道: —

‘There! There! There! There then! There then! —
‘在那里!在那里!在那里!在那里!在那里!’ —

Never you mind! Never you mind, then!’
别介意!别介意,那么!

And he put his arms round her and clung to her like a child, wetting the bib of her starched white apron, and the bosom of her pale-blue cotton dress, with his tears. —
他抱紧她,像一个孩子一样依偎在她身边,他的泪水打湿了她的浆洗过的白围裙和浅蓝色的棉布连衫裙的胸膛。 —

He had let himself go altogether, at last.
他最终完全释放出了自己。

So at length she kissed him, and rocked him on her bosom, and in her heart she said to herself: —
所以最终她亲吻了他,摇晃着他在自己的怀中,内心对自己说: —

‘Oh, Sir Clifford! Oh, high and mighty Chatterleys! Is this what you’ve come down to!’ —
‘哦,司里夫!哦,崇高而强大的查特利先生!你竟然变成了这样!’ —

And finally he even went to sleep, like a child. —
最后他甚至像个孩子一样入睡了。 —

And she felt worn out, and went to her own room, where she laughed and cried at once, with a hysteria of her own. —
她感觉筋疲力尽,走进自己的房间,笑着哭了,一时间陷入狂乱之中。 —

It was so ridiculous! It was so awful! Such a come-down! —
太荒谬了!太可怕了!如此的沉沦! —

So shameful! And it was so upsetting as well.
太可耻了!而且也太让人心烦了。

After this, Clifford became like a child with Mrs Bolton. —
此后,克利福德变得像个孩子一样对待波尔顿夫人。 —

He would hold her h, and rest his head on her breast, and when she once lightly kissed him, he said! ‘Yes! —
他会抱着她,把头靠在她的胸前,当她轻轻地吻他时,他会说:“是的! —

Do kiss me! Do kiss me!’ And when she sponged his great blond body, he would say the same! —
亲吻我!亲吻我!”当她给他擦洗他那浓密的金色身体时,他会说同样的话! —

‘Do kiss me!’ and she would lightly kiss his body, anywhere, half in mockery.
“亲吻我!”她会轻轻亲吻他的身体,无论哪个部位都半开玩笑地亲吻着。

And he lay with a queer, blank face like a child, with a bit of the wonderment of a child. —
他躺在那里,一张奇怪而茫然的脸,像个孩子,带着孩子的纯真神情。 —

And he would gaze on her with wide, childish eyes, in a relaxation of madonna-worship. —
他用宽阔而孩子气的眼神凝视着她,一种像崇拜圣母一样的放松感涌上心头。 —

It was sheer relaxation on his part, letting go all his manhood, and sinking back to a childish position that was really perverse. —
他完全放松了自己的男子气概,沉溺在反常的孩子般地姿态中。 —

And then he would put his hand into her bosom and feel her breasts, and kiss them in exultation, the exultation of perversity, of being a child when he was a man.
然后他会把手伸进她的怀抱,感受她的胸部,以及亲吻它们,这是一种邪恶的喜悦,他像个孩子那样行事,但他已经是个成年人了。

Mrs Bolton was both thrilled and ashamed, she both loved and hated it. —
博尔顿夫人既兴奋又羞愧,她既爱又恨这一切。 —

Yet she never rebuffed nor rebuked him. And they drew into a closer physical intimacy, an intimacy of perversity, when he was a child stricken with an apparent candour and an apparent wonderment, that looked almost like a religious exaltation: —
然而,她从未拒绝或责备过他。他们在身体上更加亲密,一种邪恶的亲密,他像个孩子一样真诚地对待一切,看起来几乎像是宗教的升华: —

the perverse and literal rendering of: ‘except ye become again as a little child’. —
扭曲而字面的解释是:“除非你们再次变回孩子。” —

—While she was the Magna Mater, full of power and potency, having the great blond child-man under her will and her stroke entirely.
–当她成为了伟大的金发幼童之母,拥有这个金发幼童之男人完全服从她的意愿和敲打。

The curious thing was that when this child-man, which Clifford was now and which he had been becoming for years, emerged into the world, it was much sharper and keener than the real man he used to be. —
奇怪的是,当这个成为多年以来的孩子之男人,即克利福德,出现在世界上时,它比曾经的真实的男人更敏锐、更敏感。 —

This perverted child-man was now a real business-man; —
这个扭曲的孩子之男人现在是一个真正的商人; —

when it was a question of affairs, he was an absolute he-man, sharp as a needle, and impervious as a bit of steel. —
当涉及事务时,他是一个绝对的强硬男人,聪明敏锐,坚不可摧如钢铁一般。 —

When he was out among men, seeking his own ends, and ‘making good’ his colliery workings, he had an almost uncanny shrewdness, hardness, and a straight sharp punch. —
当他在人群中为自己谋求利益,并使他的矿井作业成功时,他具有几乎超自然的机智、坚韧和直截了当的拳头。 —

It was as if his very passivity and prostitution to the Magna Mater gave him insight into material business affairs, and lent him a certain remarkable inhuman force. —
仿佛他那极度被动和对女神的奴役使他对商业事务有洞察力,并赋予他某种非凡的非人类力量。 —

The wallowing in private emotion, the utter abasement of his manly self, seemed to lend him a second nature, cold, almost visionary, business-clever. —
在私人情感中打滚、完全屈服于他坚毅的自我,似乎使他具有第二天性,冷酷、几乎是有远见的商业聪明。 —

In business he was quite inhuman.
在商业中,他是完全冷漠无情的。

And in this Mrs Bolton triumphed. ‘How he’s getting on!’ she would say to herself in pride. —
而这一点让玛丽亚·波尔顿感到自豪。“他进展如何!”她会自语道。 —

‘And that’s my doing! My word, he’d never have got on like this with Lady Chatterley. —
“这都是我做的!我的天,如果是和夏洛特夫人在一起,他永远不会取得如此进展。 —

She was not the one to put a man forward. —
“她不会帮助一个男人取得进步的。 —

She wanted too much for herself.’
“她太贪心了。”

At the same time, in some corner of her weird female soul, how she despised him and hated him! —
与此同时,在她奇怪的女性灵魂的某个角落,她是多么鄙视他,多么恨他! —

He was to her the fallen beast, the squirming monster. —
他对她而言,是一个堕落的野兽,扭动的怪物。 —

And while she aided and abetted him all she could, away in the remotest corner of her ancient healthy womanhood she despised him with a savage contempt that knew no bounds. —
尽管她尽力帮助和支持他,但她在她古老而健康的女性身心角落里,对他深恶痛绝,蔑视得无法无限。 —

The merest tramp was better than he.
哪怕是个流浪汉都比他强。

His behaviour with regard to Connie was curious. He insisted on seeing her again. —
他对康妮的行为很奇怪。他坚持要见她。 —

He insisted, moreover, on her coming to Wragby. —
而且,他坚持要她来到Wragby。 —

On this point he was finally and absolutely fixed. —
在这个问题上,他最后毫不动摇地坚持了下来。 —

Connie had promised to come back to Wragby, faithfully.
康妮曾承诺会回到Wragby,信守承诺。

‘But is it any use?’ said Mrs Bolton. ‘Can’t you let her go, and be rid of her?’
“但是,这样有用吗?”鲍尔顿夫人说。“你不能让她走,并摆脱她?”

‘No! She said she was coming back, and she’s got to come.’
“不行!她说过会回来,她必须要来。”

Mrs Bolton opposed him no more. She knew what she was dealing with.
鲍尔顿夫人不再反对他了。她知道自己在处理什么样的人。

I needn’t tell you what effect your letter has had on me [he wrote to Connie to London]. —
我不需要告诉你,你给我写的信对我产生了什么样的影响(他给住在伦敦的康妮写道)。 —

Perhaps you can imagine it if you try, though no doubt you won’t trouble to use your imagination on my behalf.
也许你可以试着想象一下,尽管无疑你不会费心为了我而使用你的想象力。

I can only say one thing in answer: I must see you personally, here at Wragby, before I can do anything. —
我只能说一件事作为答复:在我能采取任何行动之前,我必须亲自见到你,来到Wragby。 —

You promised faithfully to come back to Wragby, and I hold you to the promise. —
你曾经郑重承诺回到Wragby,我会坚守你的承诺。 —

I don’t believe anything nor understand anything until I see you personally, here under normal circumstances. —
在我个人见到你,在正常情况下,我不相信任何事情,也不能理解任何事情。 —

I needn’t tell you that nobody here suspects anything, so your return would be quite normal. —
我不需要告诉你,这里没有人怀疑任何事情,所以你的回归会很正常。 —

Then if you feel, after we have talked things over, that you still remain in the same mind, no doubt we can come to terms.
那么,如果我们谈过之后,你仍然保持相同的想法,毫无疑问我们可以达成协议。

Connie showed this letter to Mellors.
康妮把这封信给梅洛斯看。

‘He wants to begin his revenge on you,’ he said, handing the letter back.
他递还信封时说:“他想对你展开报复。”

Connie was silent. She was somewhat surprised to find that she was afraid of Clifford. —
康妮沉默了。她有点惊讶地发现她害怕克利福德。 —

She was afraid to go near him. She was afraid of him as if he were evil and dangerous.
她害怕靠近他。她害怕他,好像他是邪恶和危险的人。

‘What shall I do?’ she said.
“我该怎么办?”她说。

‘Nothing, if you don’t want to do anything.’
“你不想做任何事情的话,就什么都不要做。”

She replied, trying to put Clifford off. He answered:
她回答说,试图拒绝克利福德。他回答说:

If you don’t come back to Wragby now, I shall consider that you are coming back one day, and act accordingly. —
如果你现在不回Wragby,我会认为你将来会回来,并相应地行动。 —

I shall just go on the same, and wait for you here, if I wait for fifty years.
如果我等待五十年,我会继续这样做,并在这里等待你。

She was frightened. This was bullying of an insidious sort. She had no doubt he meant what he said. —
她害怕了。这是一种暗中欺凌的恶劣行为。她毫不怀疑他是认真的。 —

He would not divorce her, and the child would be his, unless she could find some means of establishing its illegitimacy.
除非她能找到确立孩子非婚生的方式,否则他不会离婚,孩子将是他的。

After a time of worry and harassment, she decided to go to Wragby. —
经过一段时间的担心和烦恼,她决定去Wragby。 —

Hilda would go with her. She wrote this to Clifford. He replied:
希尔达会和她一起去。她把这事写给克利福德。他回信说:

I shall not welcome your sister, but I shall not deity her the door. —
我不会欢迎你的姐妹,但我也不会拒绝她进门。 —

I have no doubt she has connived at your desertion of your duties and responsibilities, so do not expect me to show pleasure in seeing her.
我毫不怀疑她曾默许你逃避职责和责任,所以不要指望我对见到她表示高兴。

They went to Wragby. Clifford was away when they arrived. Mrs Bolton received them.
他们去了Wragby。克利福德不在家时他们到达了。博尔顿夫人接待了他们。

‘Oh, your Ladyship, it isn’t the happy home-coming we hoped for, is it!’ she said.
“哦,夫人,这并不是我们希望看到的欢迎回家!”她说。

‘Isn’t it?’ said Connie.
“是吗?”康妮说。

So this woman knew! How much did the rest of the servants know or suspect?
所以这个女人知道!其他仆人知道或怀疑多少?

She entered the house, which now she hated with every fibre in her body. —
她走进房子,现在她恨透了这个地方。 —

The great, rambling mass of a place seemed evil to her, just a menace over her. —
这个庞大而混乱的地方在她看来是邪恶的,对她来说只是一种威胁。 —

She was no longer its mistress, she was its victim.
她不再是这个房子的女主人,而是它的受害者。

‘I can’t stay long here,’ she whispered to Hilda, terrified.
“我不能在这里待太久”,她恐惧地对希尔达低声说。

And she suffered going into her own bedroom, re-entering into possession as if nothing had happened. —
她苦不堪言地走进自己的卧室,重新占有,好像什么都没发生过一样。 —

She hated every minute inside the Wragby walls.
她讨厌在雷库斯堡墙内的每一分钟。

They did not meet Clifford till they went down to dinner. He was dressed, and with a black tie: —
他们在晚餐时才见到克利福德。他穿着西装,戴着黑领带,有点保守,非常像位上层绅士。 —

rather reserved, and very much the superior gentleman. —
用餐期间,他表现得非常有礼貌,保持着一种客套的谈话: —

He behaved perfectly politely during the meal and kept a polite sort of conversation going: —
但似乎所有的一切都带着疯狂的气息。 —

but it seemed all touched with insanity.
“仆人们知道多少?”康妮问道,当那个女人离开房间时。

‘How much do the servants know?’ asked Connie, when the woman was out of the room.
“关于你的意图?一无所知。”

‘Of your intentions? Nothing whatsoever.’
“博尔顿夫人知道。”

‘Mrs Bolton knows.’
他的脸色变了。

He changed colour.
他变了颜色。

‘Mrs Bolton is not exactly one of the servants,’ he said.
“博尔顿夫人并不是仆人中的一个。”他说道。

‘Oh, I don’t mind.’
“哦,我不介意。”

There was tension till after coffee, when Hilda said she would go up to her room.
咖啡过后,气氛一直紧张,直到希尔达说要回房间去。

Clifford and Connie sat in silence when she had gone. Neither would begin to speak. —
克利福德和康妮在她离开后一直默默无言,谁也不愿意开口。 —

Connie was so glad that he wasn’t taking the pathetic line, she kept him up to as much haughtiness as possible. —
康妮很高兴他没有表现出可怜的一面,她让他保持尽量高傲的态度。 —

She just sat silent and looked down at her hands.
她只是默默地坐着,低头看着自己的手。

‘I suppose you don’t at all mind having gone back on your word?’ he said at last.
“我想你一点也不介意背弃了自己的承诺,是吗?”他最终说道。

‘I can’t help it,’ she murmured.
“我无能为力。”她轻声说道。

‘But if you can’t, who can?’
“但是如果你无能为力,那还有谁能?”

‘I suppose nobody.’
“我想没有人。”

He looked at her with curious cold rage. He was used to her. —
他带着一种奇怪的冷漠的愤怒看着她,他已经习惯了她的样子。 —

She was as it were embedded in his will. —
她仿佛被他的意志所控制。 —

How dared she now go back on him, and destroy the fabric of his daily existence? —
她竟敢违背他的意愿,破坏他日常生活的构架,他感到愤怒。 —

How dared she try to cause this derangement of his personality?
她竟敢试图造成他个人的混乱。

‘And for what do you want to go back on everything?’ he insisted.
“你为什么要否定一切?”他坚持问道。

‘Love!’ she said. It was best to be hackneyed.
“‘爱!’她说。陈词滥调是最好的。”

‘Love of Duncan Forbes? But you didn’t think that worth having, when you met me. —
“‘邓肯·福布斯的爱?但当你遇到我时,你觉得那不值得拥有。” —

Do you mean to say you now love him better than anything else in life?’
“你是说你现在比生活中的任何其他事物都更爱他?”

‘One changes,’ she said.
“‘人会改变,’她说。”

‘Possibly! Possibly you may have whims. But you still have to convince me of the importance of the change. —
“‘有可能!你可能会有些奇想。但你仍然需要说服我改变的重要性。” —

I merely don’t believe in your love of Duncan Forbes.’
“我只是不相信你对邓肯·福布斯的爱。”

‘But why should you believe in it? You have only to divorce me, not to believe in my feelings.’
“‘但你为什么要相信呢?你只需要离婚,而不是相信我的感情。”

‘And why should I divorce you?’
“‘我为什么要和你离婚呢?”

‘Because I don’t want to live here any more. And you really don’t want me.’
“‘因为我不想再在这里生活了。而且你真的不想要我。”

‘Pardon me! I don’t change. For my part, since you are my wife, I should prefer that you should stay under my roof in dignity and quiet. —
“‘请原谅!我没有改变。就我而言,作为你的妻子,我更希望你能在我的屋顶下以体面和宁静的方式留下。” —

Leaving aside personal feelings, and I assure you, on my part it is leaving aside a great deal, it is bitter as death to me to have this order of life broken up, here in Wragby, and the decent round of daily life smashed, just for some whim of yours.’
“‘不考虑个人感受,我保证,对我而言,这是放下了很多的个人感受,对我来说在这里打破生活秩序,打碎日常生活的规律,仅仅为了你的一时兴致,这让我感到像死一样痛苦。”

After a time of silence she said:
沉默了一段时间之后,她说道:

‘I can’t help it. I’ve got to go. I expect I shall have a child.’
“我没办法。我必须走。我想我可能会有一个孩子。”

He too was silent for a time.
他也沉默了一会儿。

‘And is it for the child’s sake you must go?’ he asked at length.
“那么是为了孩子的缘故你必须走吗?”他最终问道。

She nodded.
她点了点头。

‘And why? Is Duncan Forbes so keen on his spawn?’
“为什么呢?难道邓肯·福布斯对他的后代更有兴趣吗?”

‘Surely keener than you would be,’ she said.
“他当然比你更有兴趣,”她说道。

‘But really? I want my wife, and I see no reason for letting her go. —
“但是真的吗?我想要我的妻子,我不明白为什么要让她离开。 —

If she likes to bear a child under my roof, she is welcome, and the child is welcome: —
如果她愿意在我的屋顶下生孩子,她是受欢迎的,孩子也是受欢迎的: —

provided that the decency and order of life is preserved. —
前提是生活的体面和秩序得以保持。 —

Do you mean to tell me that Duncan Forbes has a greater hold over you? —
你是说邓肯·福布斯对你的控制更大吗? —

I don’t believe it.’
我不相信。”

There was a pause.
沉默了一会儿。

‘But don’t you see,’ said Connie. ‘I must go away from you, and I must live with the man I love.’
“但是你难道不明白,”康妮说道。”我必须离开你,必须和我爱的那个男人生活在一起。”

‘No, I don’t see it! I don’t give tuppence for your love, nor for the man you love. —
“不,我不明白!我对你的爱,对你所爱的那个男人都不感兴趣。 —

I don’t believe in that sort of cant.’
我不相信那种戏言。

‘But you see, I do.’
‘可是你看,我相信。’

‘Do you? My dear Madam, you are too intelligent, I assure you, to believe in your own love for Duncan Forbes. —
‘你相信吗?亲爱的夫人,我向你保证,您是太聪明了,不会相信您对邓肯·福布斯的爱情。 —

Believe me, even now you really care more for me. —
相信我,甚至现在你对我更在乎。 —

So why should I give in to such nonsense!’
那我为什么要相信这种无稽之谈呢!’

She felt he was right there. And she felt she could keep silent no longer.
她感到他在这方面是对的。她感到她再也不能沉默不语了。

‘Because it isn’t Duncan that I do love,’ she said, looking up at him.
‘因为我并不爱那个邓肯,’她抬头看着他说。

‘We only said it was Duncan, to spare your feelings.’
‘我们只是说是邓肯,为了不伤害你的感情。’

‘To spare my feelings?’
‘为了不伤害我的感情?’

‘Yes! Because who I really love, and it’ll make you hate me, is Mr Mellors, who was our game-keeper here.’
‘是的!因为我真正爱的人,这会让你恨我,是我们这里的看管员梅勒斯先生。’

If he could have sprung out of his chair, he would have done so. —
如果他能从椅子上跳起来,他一定会这样做。 —

His face went yellow, and his eyes bulged with disaster as he glared at her.
他的脸变得苍白,他的眼睛因灾难而凸出,他盯着她。

Then he dropped back in the chair, gasping and looking up at the ceiling.
然后他又回到椅子上,喘着气,抬头看着天花板。

At length he sat up.
最后,他坐了起来。

‘Do you mean to say you re telling me the truth?’ he asked, looking gruesome.
‘你是说你在告诉我真相吗?’他问,一脸可怕的表情。

‘Yes! You know I am.’
是的!你知道我是的。

‘And when did you begin with him?’
你是何时开始和他在一起的?

‘In the spring.’
在春天。

He was silent like some beast in a trap.
他像陷在陷阱中的野兽一样沉默着。

‘And it was you, then, in the bedroom at the cottage?’
那个时候,在小屋的卧室里的人就是你吗?

So he had really inwardly known all the time.
所以他一直心里知道。

‘Yes!’
是的!

He still leaned forward in his chair, gazing at her like a cornered beast.
他依然前倾着身子坐在椅子上,像一个被逼迫的野兽一样盯着她。

‘My God, you ought to be wiped off the face of the earth!’
我的上帝,你应该从这个世界上消失!

‘Why?’ she ejaculated faintly.
为什么?她虚弱地喊道。

But he seemed not to hear.
但他似乎没有听见。

‘That scum! That bumptious lout! That miserable cad! —
那个泥腿子!那个狂妄的庸人!那个可怜的卑鄙小人! —

And carrying on with him all the time, while you were here and he was one of my servants! —
和他一直在搞不正当关系,而你在这里,他还是我的一个仆人! —

My God, my God, is there any end to the beastly lowness of women!’
我的上帝,我的上帝,女人还能有多卑劣可耻!

He was beside himself with rage, as she knew he would be.
他都怒不可遏了,正如她所知道的那样。

‘And you mean to say you want to have a child to a cad like that?’
“你是说你想和那样一个无赖生孩子?”

‘Yes! I’m going to.’
“是的!我打算这样做。”

‘You’re going to! You mean you’re sure! How long have you been sure?’
“你打算这样做!你是说你确定了!你确定了多久?”

‘Since June.’
“从六月开始就确定了。”

He was speechless, and the queer blank look of a child came over him again.
他哑口无言,他脸上又浮现出孩子般的表情。

‘You’d wonder,’ he said at last, ‘that such beings were ever allowed to be born.’
“你会想想,这样的存在怎么会被允许诞生。”最后他说道。

‘What beings?’ she asked.
“是什么存在?”她问道。

He looked at her weirdly, without an answer. —
他怪异地看着她,没有回答。 —

It was obvious, he couldn’t even accept the fact of the existence of Mellors, in any connexion with his own life. —
很显然,他甚至不能接受梅洛斯与他自己生活的事实相联系。 —

It was sheer, unspeakable, impotent hate.
这是纯粹的、无法言说的、无力的憎恨。

‘And do you mean to say you’d marry him?—and bear his foul name?’ he asked at length.
“你是说你要嫁给他?——还要带着他肮脏的姓氏?”他终于问道。

‘Yes, that’s what I want.’
“是的,那是我想要的。”

He was again as if dumbfounded.
他又一次像是目瞪口呆。

‘Yes!’ he said at last. ‘That proves that what I’ve always thought about you is correct: —
“是的!”他最终说道。“这证明了我一直对你的想法是正确的:你不正常,你不理智。” —

you’re not normal, you’re not in your right senses. —

You’re one of those half-insane, perverted women who must run after depravity, the nostalgie de la boue.’
你是那些半疯狂、变态的女人之一,必然追求堕落,渴望泥泞的回忆。

Suddenly he had become almost wistfully moral, seeing himself the incarnation of good, and people like Mellors and Connie the incarnation of mud, of evil. —
突然间,他几乎变得带着伤感的道德,将自己视为善的化身,而像梅勒斯和康妮这样的人则是邪恶的化身。 —

He seemed to be growing vague, inside a nimbus.
他似乎在变得模糊,如同身处在一个光环之中。

‘So don’t you think you’d better divorce me and have done with it?’ she said.
“那么你难道不觉得你最好立刻和我离婚吗?”她问道。

‘No! You can go where you like, but I shan’t divorce you,’ he said idiotically.
“不!你可以去任何地方,但是我不会离婚。”他愚蠢地回答道。

‘Why not?’
“为什么不呢?”

He was silent, in the silence of imbecile obstinacy.
他沉默着,表现出白痴般的顽固态度。

‘Would you even let the child be legally yours, and your heir?’ she said.
“你甚至会让孩子合法地成为你的孩子和继承人吗?”她问道。

‘I care nothing about the child.’
“我不在乎孩子。”

‘But if it’s a boy it will be legally your son, and it will inherit your title, and have Wragby.’
“但是如果孩子是男孩,他将合法地成为你的儿子,继承你的头衔,并拥有拉格比庄园。”

‘I care nothing about that,’ he said.
“这些我一点也不在乎。”他说道。

‘But you must! I shall prevent the child from being legally yours, if I can. —
“但是你必须在乎!如果可以的话,我会阻止孩子合法地成为你的孩子。” —

I’d so much rather it were illegitimate, and mine: if it can’t be Mellors’.’
“如果无法让他成为梅勒斯的孩子,我更希望孩子是我的非婚生子。”

‘Do as you like about that.’
“那你随意。”

He was immovable.
他岿然不动。

‘And won’t you divorce me?’ she said. ‘You can use Duncan as a pretext! —
‘难道你不会离婚吗?’她问道,’你可以以邓肯作为借口! —

There’d be no need to bring in the real name. —
没有必要提及真名。 —

Duncan doesn’t mind.’
邓肯不介意。’

‘I shall never divorce you,’ he said, as if a nail had been driven in.
‘我永远不会离开你,’他说,仿佛被钉进去了一样。

‘But why? Because I want you to?’
‘但为什么?因为我想要吗?’

‘Because I follow my own inclination, and I’m not inclined to.’
‘因为我按照自己的喜好行事,而我没有兴趣。’

It was useless. She went upstairs and told Hilda the upshot.
无济于事。她上楼告诉希尔达结果。

‘Better get away tomorrow,’ said Hilda, ‘and let him come to his senses.’
‘最好明天就离开,’希尔达说,’让他恢复理智。’

So Connie spent half the night packing her really private and personal effects. —
因此,康妮花了半夜的时间整理她真正私人的个人物品。 —

In the morning she had her trunks sent to the station, without telling Clifford. —
早上她把她的行李箱送到车站,没有告诉克利福德。 —

She decided to see him only to say good-bye, before lunch.
她决定只见他一面,午餐前告别。

But she spoke to Mrs Bolton.
但她跟博尔顿夫人说了话。

‘I must say good-bye to you, Mrs Bolton, you know why. But I can trust you not to talk.’
‘我必须与你告别,博尔顿夫人,你知道原因。但我相信你不会说出去。’

‘Oh, you can trust me, your Ladyship, though it’s a sad blow for us here, indeed. —
‘噢,你可以相信我,贵夫人,虽然这对我们来说是个沉重打击呀。 —

But I hope you’ll be happy with the other gentleman.’
但希望妳和另一个绅士过得幸福。’

‘The other gentleman! It’s Mr Mellors, and I care for him. Sir Clifford knobs. —
‘另一个先生!是梅洛先生,我关心他。希瑞福德爵士虽然瞧不起他。 —

But don’t say anything to anybody. And if one day you think Sir Clifford may be willing to divorce me, let me know, will you? —
但是不要告诉任何人。如果你觉得有一天希瑞福德可能愿意与我离婚,请告诉我,好吗? —

I should like to be properly married to the man I care for.’
我希望与我关心的人正式结婚。’

‘I’m sure you would, my Lady. Oh, you can trust me. —
‘我相信你会的,女士。哦,你可以信任我。我会忠诚于希瑞福德先生,也会忠诚于你,因为我能看出你们两个在各自的方式上都是正确的。’ —

I’ll be faithful to Sir Clifford, and I’ll be faithful to you, for I can see you’re both right in your own ways.’
‘谢谢!看!我想给你这个——可以吗?’

‘Thank you! And look! I want to give you this—may I?’ —
于是康妮再次离开了雷格比,和希尔达一起去了苏格兰。 —

So Connie left Wragby once more, and went on with Hilda to Scotland. —
梅洛先生进入乡村,在一座农场找到了工作。 —

Mellors went into the country and got work on a farm. —
这个想法是,他应该尽可能地离婚,无论康妮是否离婚。 —

The idea was, he should get his divorce, if possible, whether Connie got hers or not. —
而且他应该在农场工作六个月,以便最终他和康妮可以有自己的小农场,他可以将自己的精力投入其中。 —

And for six months he should work at farming, so that eventually he and Connie could have some small farm of their own, into which he could put his energy. —
这样,他们就可以有一个共同的事业,同时享受彼此的爱。 —

For he would have to have some work, even hard work, to do, and he would have to make his own living, even if her capital started him.
因为他必须要有一些工作,甚至是辛苦的工作,而且他必须要自己谋生,就算有他妻子的资本可以给他启动。

So they would have to wait till spring was in, till the baby was born, till the early summer came round again.
所以他们必须得等到春天来临,等到宝宝出生,等到初夏再次到来。

The Grange Farm Old Heanor 29 September
格兰奇农场,希纳尔,九月二十九日。

I got on here with a bit of contriving, because I knew Richards, the company engineer, in the army. —
我通过一些手段才能到这里,因为我在军队里认识理查兹,那个公司的工程师。 —

It is a farm belonging to Butler and Smitham Colliery Company, they use it for raising hay and oats for the pit-ponies; —
这是巴特勒和斯密矿业公司的农场,他们用它来种植草和燕麦给井下的马匹吃。 —

not a private concern. But they’ve got cows and pigs and all the rest of it, and I get thirty shillings a week as labourer. —
不是一个私人企业。但是他们养有牛和猪等等,而我作为劳动者每周可以拿到30先令。 —

Rowley, the farmer, puts me on to as many jobs as he can, so that I can learn as much as possible between now and next Easter. —
农场主罗利给我安排尽可能多的工作,这样我能在现在和明年复活节之间尽可能多学到东西。 —

I’ve not heard a thing about Bertha. I’ve no idea why she didn’t show up at the divorce, nor where she is nor what she’s up to. —
我一点关于柏莎的消息都没有。我不知道为什么她没出现在离婚官司上,也不知道她在哪里以及她在干什么。 —

But if I keep quiet till March I suppose I shall be free. And don’t you bother about Sir Clifford. —
但是如果我保持安静直到三月,我想我应该会自由了。而且你不要担心克利福德先生。 —

He’ll want to get rid of you one of these days. —
他总有一天会想摆脱你。 —

If he leaves you alone, it’s a lot.
如果他不打扰你,那就好了。

I’ve got lodging in a bit of an old cottage in Engine Row very decent. —
我在Engine Row有一个相当不错的旧小屋住所。 —

The man is engine-driver at High Park, tall, with a beard, and very chapel. —
那个人在High Park做机车司机,很高,有胡须,非常虔诚。 —

The woman is a birdy bit of a thing who loves anything superior. King’s English and allow-me! —
那个女人是个有点虚荣的小东西,爱一切上乘的东西。讲国王英语还有“请允许我”! —

all the time. But they lost their only son in the war, and it’s sort of knocked a hole in them. —
一直都是这样的。但是他们在战争中失去了他们唯一的儿子,对他们造成了很大的打击。 —

There’s a long gawky lass of a daughter training for a school-teacher, and I help her with her lessons sometimes, so we’re quite the family. —
有一个细长尖头的女儿在接受学校教师的培训,有时我会帮她功课,所以我们就像是一个家庭。 —

But they’re very decent people, and only too kind to me. —
但是他们是非常体面的人,对我非常好。 —

I expect I’m more coddled than you are.
我觉得自己被宠爱得比你还多。

I like farming all right. It’s not inspiring, but then I don’t ask to be inspired. —
我喜欢耕种,还好吧。虽然不会激励人,但我也未曾奢求过激励。 —

I’m used to horses, and cows, though they are very female, have a soothing effect on me. —
我习惯了马,而且奶牛,虽然非常雌性,对我有一种安抚的效果。 —

When I sit with my head in her side, milking, I feel very solaced. —
当我把头放在她的身上挤奶时,我感到非常安慰。 —

They have six rather fine Herefords. Oat-harvest is just over and I enjoyed it, in spite of sore hands and a lot of rain. —
他们有六头相当好的赫里福牛。刚收割完燕麦,虽然手很疼,也下了很多雨,但我还是喜欢。 —

I don’t take much notice of people, but get on with them all right. —
我不太注意人们,但和他们相处还不错。 —

Most things one just ignores.
大多数事情我们都只是忽略掉。

The pits are working badly; this is a colliery district like Tevershall. only prettier. —
矿井的运作状况很糟糕;这里是像泰弗舍尔这样的采煤区,只是更美丽而已。 —

I sometimes sit in the Wellington and talk to the men. —
我有时去惠灵顿酒吧坐着和人们聊天。 —

They grumble a lot, but they’re not going to alter anything. —
他们抱怨很多,但他们不会改变任何事情。 —

As everybody says, the Notts-Derby miners have got their hearts in the right place. —
正如大家所说,诺丁汉-德比矿工们的内心是正确的。 —

But the rest of their anatomy must be in the wrong place, in a world that has no use for them. —
但是在一个对他们毫无用处的世界中,他们的其他部分必须是错的。 —

I like them, but they don’t cheer me much: not enough of the old fighting-cock in them. —
我喜欢他们,但他们没有给我带来太多欢呼:他们缺乏老战斗公鸡的精神。 —

They talk a lot about nationalization, nationalization of royalties, nationalization of the whole industry. —
他们经常谈论国有化,国有化矿产权,国有化整个产业。 —

But you can’t nationalize coal and leave all the other industries as they are. —
但是你不能把煤炭国有化,而把其他所有产业都保持原样。 —

They talk about putting coal to new uses, like Sir Clifford is trying to do. —
他们谈论将煤炭用于新的用途,就像克利福德爵士正在努力做的那样。 —

It may work here and there, but not as a general thing. I doubt. —
这在某些地方可能有效,但不是普遍的情况。我对此表示怀疑。 —

Whatever you make you’ve got to sell it. The men are very apathetic. —
无论你做什么,你都必须要销售出去。这些人非常冷漠。 —

They feel the whole damned thing is doomed, and I believe it is. And they are doomed along with it. —
他们觉得整个该死的事情注定要失败,而我也相信它的确如此。他们也将随之毁灭。 —

Some of the young ones spout about a Soviet, but there’s not much conviction in them. —
一些年轻人谈论着苏维埃,但他们并没有太多的信念。 —

There’s no sort of conviction about anything, except that it’s all a muddle and a hole. —
除了一团混乱和困境,没有任何信念存在。 —

Even under a Soviet you’ve still got to sell coal: —
即使在苏维埃下,你仍然需要销售煤炭。 —

and that’s the difficulty.
这就是问题所在。

We’ve got this great industrial population, and they’ve got to be fed, so the damn show has to be kept going somehow. —
我们拥有这么庞大的工业人口,他们必须得吃饭,所以这该死的表演不得不继续下去。 —

The women talk a lot more than the men, nowadays, and they are a sight more cock-sure. —
女人们现在比男人说得多,而且她们更自信。 —

The men are limp, they feel a doom somewhere, and they go about as if there was nothing to be done. —
男人们软弱无力,他们感到某种灾难即将来临,行动上却如同无事可做。 —

Anyhow, nobody knows what should be done in spite of all the talk, the young ones get mad because they’ve no money to spend. —
总之,尽管有那么多的谈论,没人知道该怎么办,年轻人因为没有钱花而生气。 —

Their whole life depends on spending money, and now they’ve got none to spend. —
他们的整个生活依赖于花钱,而现在他们没有钱可花。 —

That’s our civilization and our education: —
这就是我们的文明和教育: —

bring up the masses to depend entirely on spending money, and then the money gives out. —
让大众完全依赖于花钱,然后钱用光了。 —

The pits are working two days, two and a half days a week, and there’s no sign of betterment even for the winter. —
矿井每周只工作两天,两天半,连冬天也没有改善的迹象。 —

It means a man bringing up a family on twenty-five and thirty shillings. —
这意味着一个人要靠二十五到三十先令来抚养一家人。 —

The women are the maddest of all. But then they’re the maddest for spending, nowadays.
妇女们是最疯狂的。但现在,她们最疯狂的是花钱。

If you could only tell them that living and spending isn’t the same thing! But it’s no good. —
如果你能告诉她们生活和花钱并不是一回事!但是没有用。 —

If only they were educated to live instead of earn and spend, they could manage very happily on twenty-five shillings. —
如果他们被教育去生活而不是挣钱和花钱,他们可以非常幸福地生活在二十五先令的收入之内。 —

If the men wore scarlet trousers as I said, they wouldn’t think so much of money: —
如果男人们穿上我说的红色长裤,他们就不会那么看重钱了: —

if they could dance and hop and skip, and sing and swagger and be handsome, they could do with very little cash. —
如果他们能跳舞、跳跃、跳跃、唱歌、虚张声势、英俊潇洒,他们就可以少用很多现金。 —

And amuse the women themselves, and be amused by the women. —
自娱自乐,娱乐女人,女人娱乐他们。 —

They ought to learn to be naked and handsome, and to sing in a mass and dance the old group dances, and carve the stools they sit on, and embroider their own emblems. —
他们应该学会裸体和英俊,学会在大众中唱歌和跳老式群舞,雕刻他们坐的凳子,绣制自己的象征标志。 —

Then they wouldn’t need money. And that’s the only way to solve the industrial problem: —
这样他们就不需要钱。这是解决工业问题的唯一方法: —

train the people to be able to live and live in handsomeness, without needing to spend. —
  —

But you can’t do it. They’re all one-track minds nowadays. —
培养人们能够生活在美中,无需花费。 —

Whereas the mass of people oughtn’t even to try to think, because they can’t. —
但你做不到。如今他们都是固定思维的人。 —

They should be alive and frisky, and acknowledge the great god Pan. He’s the only god for the masses, forever. —
而大众根本不应该试图去思考,因为他们做不到。 —

The few can go in for higher cults if they like. —
他们应该活泼而快乐地生活,承认大神潘。他是大众永远的唯一神。 —

But let the mass be forever pagan.
少数人可以选择更高的信仰。

But the colliers aren’t pagan, far from it. They’re a sad lot, a deadened lot of men: —
但让大众永远做异教徒。 —

dead to their women, dead to life. The young ones scoot about on motor-bikes with girls, and jazz when they get a chance, But they’re very dead. —
但矿工们不是异教徒,恰恰相反。他们是悲惨的一群,对妇女无动于衷,对生活无感。年轻人们骑着摩托车和女孩们闲逛,有机会时跳着爵士舞,但他们非常无趣。 —

And it needs money. Money poisons you when you’ve got it, and starves you when you haven’t.
它需要金钱。拥有金钱会让你中毒,没有金钱会让你挨饿。

I’m sure you’re sick of all this. But I don’t want to harp on myself, and I’ve nothing happening to me. —
我相信你对这一切都感到厌倦了。但我不想只顾念自己,我身上没有发生什么事。 —

I don’t like to think too much about you, in my head, that only makes a mess of us both. —
我不喜欢太过思考你,那只会把我们两个都弄得一团糟。 —

But, of course, what I live for now is for you and me to live together. I’m frightened, really. —
但是,当然,我现在存活的目标就是你和我能一起生活。实际上,我很害怕。 —

I feel the devil in the air, and he’ll try to get us. Or not the devil, Mammon: —
我感觉到空气中有魔鬼,他会试图影响我们。或者不是魔鬼,是贪婪: —

which I think, after all, is only the mass-will of people, wanting money and hating life. —
我认为,毕竟只不过是人们对金钱的群体意愿,他们渴望金钱并嫌弃生活。 —

Anyhow, I feel great grasping white hands in the air, wanting to get hold of the throat of anybody who tries to live, to live beyond money, and squeeze the life out. —
无论如何,我感觉到在空中有强而有力的白手,想要抓住任何试图超越金钱而活、而榨取生命的人的喉咙,并把生命压榨掉。 —

There’s a bad time coming. There’s a bad time coming, boys, there’s a bad time coming! —
有个不好的时代即将来临。有个不好的时代即将来临,伙计们,有个不好的时代即将来临! —

If things go on as they are, there’s nothing lies in the future but death and destruction, for these industrial masses. —
如果事情继续按照现在的方式发展,未来只有死亡和毁灭等待着这些工薪阶层。 —

I feel my inside turn to water sometimes, and there you are, going to have a child by me. —
我有时候感觉自己内心像水一样流动,然后你就在那里,要和我生个孩子。 —

But never mind. All the bad times that ever have been, haven’t been able to blow the crocus out: —
但无所谓了。所有的坏时光从来都没有能够灭掉那朵藏红花: —

not even the love of women. So they won’t be able to blow out my wanting you, nor the little glow there is between you and me. —
甚至也不能灭掉我对你的渴望,或者我们之间那一点点的火花。 —

We’ll be together next year. And though I’m frightened, I believe in your being with me. —
明年我们会在一起。虽然我很害怕,但我相信你会和我在一起。 —

A man has to fend and fettle for the best, and then trust in something beyond himself. —
一个人必须努力争取和塑造最好的自己,然后相信超越自己的力量。 —

You can’t insure against the future, except by really believing in the best bit of you, and in the power beyond it. —
对于未来无法进行保险,除非真正相信自己的最好部分以及超越它的力量。 —

So I believe in the little flame between us. For me now, it’s the only thing in the world. —
所以我相信我们之间那点点的火花。对我来说,它是世界上唯一重要的事情。 —

I’ve got no friends, not inward friends. Only you. —
我没有朋友,没有内心的朋友。只有你。 —

And now the little flame is all I care about in my life. —
现在那点点的火花是我生活里唯一在意的事情。 —

There’s the baby, but that is a side issue. It’s my Pentecost, the forked flame between me and you. —
有了孩子,但那只是个附带的问题。它是我的圣灵降临节,我和你之间分叉的火焰。 —

The old Pentecost isn’t quite right. Me and God is a bit uppish, somehow. —
古老的五旬节不太对劲。我和上帝的关系有点傲慢,不知怎么回事。 —

But the little forked flame between me and you: there you are! —
但是我们之间的那个叉型火焰:你就在那里! —

That’s what I abide by, and will abide by, Cliffords and Berthas, colliery companies and governments and the money-mass of people all notwithstanding.
这就是我信守的,也将会信守的,不管是克利福德还是伯莎,矿业公司和政府,还有那些人海茫茫。

That’s why I don’t like to start thinking about you actually. —
这就是为什么我不喜欢开始思考你的存在。 —

It only tortures me, and does you no good. I don’t want you to be away from me. —
这只会折磨我,对你没有好处。我不希望你离开我。 —

But if I start fretting it wastes something. Patience, always patience. This is my fortieth winter. —
但是如果我开始焦虑,就会浪费一些东西。要有耐心,永远要有耐心。这是我第40个冬天。 —

And I can’t help all the winters that have been. —
而我不能控制已经过去的所有冬天。 —

But this winter I’ll stick to my little Pentecost flame, and have some peace. —
但是这个冬天我会坚守我的小火焰,获得一些宁静。 —

And I won’t let the breath of people blow it out. —
我不会让别人的呼吸吹灭它。 —

I believe in a higher mystery, that doesn’t let even the crocus be blown out. —
我相信有一种更高级的奥秘,连番红花也不能被吹灭。 —

And if you’re in Scotland and I’m in the Midlands, and I can’t put my arms round you, and wrap my legs round you, yet I’ve got something of you. —
如果你在苏格兰,我在中部地区,我无法用手臂环绕你,也无法用腿缠绕你,但我还是拥有你的一部分。 —

My soul softly Naps in the little Pentecost flame with you, like the peace of fucking. —
我的灵魂在小小的五旬节火焰中与你一起轻轻安眠,就像和你做爱的平静。 —

We fucked a flame into being. Even the flowers are fucked into being between the sun and the earth. —
我们用爱撞击出了一团火焰。就连花朵也是在太阳和大地之间撞击出来的。 —

But it’s a delicate thing, and takes patience and the long pause.
但这是一件细腻的事情,需要耐心和漫长的停顿。

So I love chastity now, because it is the peace that comes of fucking. I love being chaste now. —
所以我现在热爱贞洁,因为它是做爱之后带来的平静。我现在热爱贞洁。 —

I love it as snowdrops love the snow. I love this chastity, which is the pause of peace of our fucking, between us now like a snowdrop of forked white fire. —
我像雪花爱着雪一样爱着这种贞洁,它就像我们之间一朵叉状白火一样宁静。 —

And when the real spring comes, when the drawing together comes, then we can fuck the little flame brilliant and yellow, brilliant. —
当真正的春天来临,当我们聚合在一起,我们就可以做爱,让那小小的火焰变得明亮而黄色,辉煌。 —

But not now, not yet! Now is the time to be chaste, it is so good to be chaste, like a river of cool water in my soul. —
但现在不行,还不行!现在是守贞洁的时候,守贞洁真好,就像我的灵魂中的一条凉爽的河流。 —

I love the chastity now that it flows between us. It is like fresh water and rain. —
我爱现在这种贞洁,它在我们之间流动。它就像清水和雨水。 —

How can men want wearisomely to philander. —
男人们怎么会想要厌倦地行淫呢。 —

What a misery to be like Don Juan, and impotent ever to fuck oneself into peace, and the little flame alight, impotent and unable to be chaste in the cool between-whiles, as by a river.
像唐璜那般渴望,却无力通过自慰获得平静,小小的火焰燃起,却无力在冷静的间隙中保持贞洁,如同一条河流。

Well, so many words, because I can’t touch you. —
嗯,这么多的话,因为我无法触摸到你。 —

If I could sleep with my arms round you, the ink could stay in the bottle. —
如果我可以抱着你睡觉,这墨水就可以留在瓶子里。 —

We could be chaste together just as we can fuck together. —
我们可以一起守身如玉,就像我们一起做爱一样。 —

But we have to be separate for a while, and I suppose it is really the wiser way. —
但我们必须暂时分开,我猜这样可能更明智。 —

If only one were sure.
要是能确定该多好。

Never mind, never mind, we won’t get worked up. —
没关系,没关系,我们不会被激怒。 —

We really trust in the little flame, and in the unnamed god that shields it from being blown out. —
我们真的相信那小小的火焰,相信那未被命名的保护它不被吹灭的神。 —

There’s so much of you here with me, really, that it’s a pity you aren’t all here.
你在我身边有太多的存在,真是可惜你不是全部在这里。

Never mind about Sir Clifford. If you don’t hear anything from him, never mind. —
不要担心克利福德爵士。如果你没收到他的消息,也没关系。 —

He can’t really do anything to you. Wait, he will want to get rid of you at last, to cast you out. —
他无法对你做什么。等着吧,他最终会想要摆脱你,抛弃你。 —

And if he doesn’t, we’ll manage to keep clear of him. But he will. —
如果他不那样做,我们会设法远离他。但他会这样做的。 —

In the end he will want to spew you out as the abominable thing.
最终他会希望将你吐出,像可憎的东西一样。

Now I can’t even leave off writing to you.
现在我甚至不能停止写信给你。

But a great deal of us is together, and we can but abide by it, and steer our courses to meet soon. —
但我们中的大部分人都在一起,我们只能遵循着它,并尽快相聚。 —

John Thomas says good-night to Lady Jane, a little droopingly, but with a hopeful heart.
约翰·托马斯有点垂头丧气地对简·夫人说晚安,但怀着希望的心情。