It was when curiosity about Gatsby was at its highest that the lights in his house failed to go on one Saturday night–and, as obscurely as it had begun, his career as Trimalchio was over.
在大家对盖茨比的好奇心达到高潮的时候,他的房子在一个星期六的晚上灯光没亮。就像他的职业生涯一样,它以不为人知的方式结束了。

Only gradually did I become aware that the automobiles which turned expectantly into his drive stayed for just a minute and then drove sulkily away.
我渐渐意识到,那些满怀期待地驶入他车道的汽车只停留了一分钟,然后生气地开走了。我感到奇怪, —

Wondering if he were sick I went over to find out–an unfamiliar butler with a villainous face squinted at me suspiciously from the door.
他是不是病了,于是走过去打算了解情况,一个陌生的男仆用邪恶的表情怀疑地斜眼看着我。

“Is Mr. Gatsby sick?”
“盖茨比先生病了吗?”

“Nope.” After a pause he added “sir” in a dilatory, grudging way.
“没。”他停顿一下,懒懒散散地加了一句“先生”。

“I hadn’t seen him around, and I was rather worried.
“我好久没见到他,有点担心。 —

Tell him Mr. Carraway came over.”
告诉他卡拉韦先生来了。”

“Who?” he demanded rudely.
“谁?”他粗鲁地质问道。

“Carraway.”
“卡拉韦。”

“Carraway. All right, I’ll tell him.” Abruptly he slammed the door.
“卡拉韦。好吧,我会告诉他的。”他突然把门砰地关上了。

My Finn informed me that Gatsby had dismissed every servant in his house a week ago and replaced them with half a dozen others, who never went into West Egg Village to be bribed by the tradesmen, but ordered moderate supplies over the telephone.
我的芬恩告诉我,盖茨比在一周前解雇了他家里的所有仆人,换了六个新的,他们从不去西蛋村收受商人的贿赂,而是通过电话订购适量的物品。 —

The grocery boy reported that the kitchen looked like a pigsty, and the general opinion in the village was that the new people weren’t servants at all.
杂货店的小伙子说厨房看起来像个猪圈,村里人普遍认为这些新人根本不是仆人。

Next day Gatsby called me on the phone.
次日,盖茨比给我打电话。

“Going away?” I inquired.
“要离开吗?”我问道。

“No, old sport.”
“不,老铁。”

“I hear you fired all your servants.”
“我听说你解雇了所有的仆人。”

“I wanted somebody who wouldn’t gossip.
“我想找些不会闲言闲语的人。 —

Daisy comes over quite often–in the afternoons.”
黛西经常过来,下午来。”

So the whole caravansary had fallen in like a card house at the disapproval in her eyes.
就因为她的眼神不满,整个旅馆就像一张纸牌屋一样倒塌了。

“They’re some people Wolfshiem wanted to do something for.
“他们是沃尔夫沙姆想帮忙的人。 —

They’re all brothers and sisters.
他们都是兄弟姐妹。 —

They used to run a small hotel.”
他们过去经营过一家小旅馆。”

“I see.”
“我明白了。”

He was calling up at Daisy’s request–would I come to lunch at her house tomorrow?
他是应黛西的要求打来的电话,明天我会去她家吃午饭。 —

Miss Baker would be there.
贝克小姐也会在那里。 —

Half an hour later Daisy herself telephoned and seemed relieved to find that I was coming.
半小时后,黛西亲自打电话来,似乎松了口气得知我要去。

Something was up. And yet I couldn’t believe that they would choose this occasion for a scene-especially for the rather harrowing scene that Gatsby had outlined in the garden.
有事要发生了。然而,我无法相信他们会选择这个场合来吵架,尤其是盖茨比在花园里勾勒出的那种令人痛苦的场景。

The next day was broiling, almost the last, certainly the warmest, of the summer.
第二天天气炎热,几乎是夏天最后,肯定是最热的一天。 —

As my train emerged from the tunnel into sunlight, only the hot whistles of the National Biscuit Company broke the simmering hush at noon.
当我的火车从隧道中驶出来,阳光照射下来,只有国家饼干公司的热汽笛打破了午时的沉寂。 —

The straw seats of the car hovered on the edge of combustion;
车厢的草席悬浮在燃烧的边缘; —

the woman next to me perspired delicately for a while into her white shirtwaist, and then, as her newspaper dampened under her fingers, lapsed despairingly into deep heat with a desolate cry.
我身旁的女人微微地出汗,一段时间后她湿润的报纸在手指间滑湿,绝望地陷入深陷的酷热之中,发出凄凉的呼喊。 —

Her pocket-book slapped to the floor.
她的皮夹子掉在地板上。

“Oh, my!” she gasped.
“哦,天哪!”她惊讶地喘着气。

I picked it up with a weary bend and handed it back to her, holding it at arm’s length and by the extreme tip of the corners to indicate that I had no designs upon it–but every one near by, including the woman, suspected me just the same.
我劳累地弯下身子,将它捡起来递给她,用胳膊尽量伸直,并且只用手指尖夹着角落,以示我对它没有任何企图——但是附近的每个人,包括那个女人在内,依然怀疑我。

“Hot!” said the conductor to familiar faces.
“热!”售票员对熟悉的面孔说道。 —

“Some weather! Hot! Hot! Hot!
“天气真热!热!热!热!”

Is it hot enough for you? Is it hot? Is it…?”
“现在的天气够热了吧?热吗?真热吗…?”

My commutation ticket came back to me with a dark stain from his hand.
我的通勤车票上有一道从他手上沾上的污渍。

That any one should care in this heat whose flushed lips he kissed, whose head made damp the pajama pocket over his heart!
在这样的炎热天气里,有谁会在意他亲吻那个潮红的嘴唇,那个将他的头搁在心口上使睡衣口袋潮湿的人!

… Through the hall of the Buchanans’ house blew a faint wind, carrying the sound of the telephone bell out to Gatsby and me as we waited at the door.
“布坎南夫妇’家的大厅里吹来一股微风,将电话铃声传到了盖茨比和我站在门口的地方。

“The master’s body!” roared the butler into the mouthpiece.
“主人的尸体!”管家朝电话的话筒里咆哮着。 —

“I’m sorry, madame, but we can’t furnish it–it’s far too hot to touch this noon!”
“对不起,夫人,但是我们不能提供——因为中午天气太热了!”

What he really said was: “Yes… yes… I’ll see.”
他真正说的是:“好的……好的……我会去的。”

He set down the receiver and came toward us, glistening slightly, to take our stiff straw hats.
他放下话筒,微微发光地朝我们走来,取下了我们死板的草帽。

“Madame expects you in the salon!” he cried, needlessly indicating the direction.
“夫人在客厅等您!”他喊道,用不着指明方向。在这样的炎热里, —

In this heat every extra gesture was an affront to the common store of life.
每一个额外的手势都是对共同生活财富的侮辱。

The room, shadowed well with awnings, was dark and cool.
房间在遮阳篷的阴影下是阴暗而凉爽的。 —

Daisy and Jordan lay upon an enormous couch, like silver idols, weighing down their own white dresses against the singing breeze of the fans.
黛西和乔丹躺在一张巨大的沙发上,像银色的偶像一样,他们的白色服装顶住了扇子吹来的清风。

“We can’t move,” they said together.
“我们无法动弹,”她们同时说道。

Jordan’s fingers, powdered white over their tan, rested for a moment in mine.
丹那抹被晒黑的手指,在我的手中停留片刻。

“And Mr. Thomas Buchanan, the athlete?” I inquired.
“还有那个运动员汤姆·布坎南先生呢?”我问道。

Simultaneously I heard his voice, gruff, muffled, husky, at the hall telephone.
我同时听到他的声音,在走廊的电话机中,声音低沉、低糊、沙哑。

Gatsby stood in the center of the crimson carpet and gazed around with fascinated eyes.
盖茨比站在深红色的地毯中央,用着着迷的眼神四处张望。黛西看着他, —

Daisy watched him and laughed, her sweet, exciting laugh;
笑了起来,她那甜蜜、刺激的笑声, —

a tiny gust of powder rose from her bosom into the air.
一股微小的粉末从她的胸膛里升到空中。

“The rumor is,” whispered Jordan, “that that’s Tom’s girl on the telephone.”
“传闻是,”乔丹悄声说,“那个在电话那头的是汤姆的女人。”

We were silent. The voice in the hall rose high with annoyance.
我们保持沉默。走廊的声音因为恼怒而变高起来。

“Very well, then, I won’t sell you the car at all.
“很好,那么, —

… I’m under no obligations to you at all.
我根本不打算把车卖给你……我对你没有任何义务……至于你在午饭时间打扰我, —

… And as for your bothering me about it at lunch time I won’t stand that at all!”
我一点都不会忍受!”

“Holding down the receiver,” said Daisy cynically.
“握着听筒,”黛西冷嘲地说道。

“No, he’s not,” I assured her.
“不,他不是,”我向她保证, —

“It’s a bona fide deal. I happen to know about it.”
“这是一笔真正的交易。我碰巧知道这件事。”

Tom flung open the door, blocked out its space for a moment with his thick body, and hurried into the room.
汤姆推开门,用他那粗壮的身体挡住门的空间,匆忙走进房间。

“Mr. Gatsby!” He put out his broad, flat hand with well-concealed dislike.
“盖茨比先生!”他伸出宽阔、平坦的手,脸上隐藏着对盖茨比的不喜欢。 —

“I’m glad to see you, sir.
“很高兴见到您, —

… Nick….”
先生……尼克……”

“Make us a cold drink,” cried Daisy.
“给我们做凉饮品,”黛西大声说道。

As he left the room again she got up and went over to Gatsby and pulled his face down kissing him on the mouth.
当他再次离开房间时,黛西站起身走到盖茨比身边,拉住他的脸亲吻了他的嘴唇。

“You know I love you,” she murmured.
“你知道我爱你,”她低声说道。

“You forget there’s a lady present,” said Jordan.
“你忘了这里还有位女士,”乔丹说道。

Daisy looked around doubtfully.
黛西犹豫地四处看了看。

“You kiss Nick too.”
“你也亲吻尼克。”

“What a low, vulgar girl!”
“多么卑劣、庸俗的女孩!”

“I don’t care!” cried Daisy and began to clog on the brick fireplace.
“我才不在乎!”黛西大声说道,并开始跳起舞来踩着砖砌的壁炉台。

Then she remembered the heat and sat down guiltily on the couch just as a freshly laundered nurse leading a little girl came into the room.
然后她想起了炉火的热度,愧疚地坐在沙发上,就在这时,一个刚洗过澡的护士领着一个小女孩走进了房间。

“Bles-sed pre-cious,” she crooned, holding out her arms.
“宝贝,妈妈亲爱的,”她唱着,伸出双臂, —

“Come to your own mother that loves you.”
“来到你深爱的妈妈怀抱。”

The child, relinquished by the nurse, rushed across the room and rooted shyly into her mother’s dress.
护士放开了孩子,孩子羞涩地冲过房间,躲在母亲的裙子后面。

“The Bles-sed pre-cious! Did mother get powder on your old yellowy hair?
“宝贝!妈妈给你的旧发梢弄上了粉吗?现在站起来, —

Stand up now, and say How-de-do.”
和大家打个招呼。”

Gatsby and I in turn leaned down and took the small reluctant hand.
盖茨比和我依次弯腰握住了那只小小的不情愿的手。

Afterward he kept looking at the child with surprise.
之后,他惊奇地一直盯着孩子看。 —

I don’t think he had ever really believed in its existence before.
我觉得他以前从未真正相信过孩子的存在。

“I got dressed before luncheon,” said the child, turning eagerly to Daisy.
“我在午餐前就穿好了衣服,”孩子转身兴奋地对黛西说道。

“That’s because your mother wanted to show you off.” Her face bent into the single wrinkle of the small white neck.
“那是因为你妈妈想要炫耀你。”黛西的脸弯成了孩子小脖子上的一个皱纹,“你是个梦想, —

“You dream, you. You absolute little dream.”
你,你绝对是个小小的梦想。”

“Yes,” admitted the child calmly.
“是的。”那个孩子平静地承认道。 —

“Aunt Jordan’s got on a white dress too.”
“乔丹姑姑也穿了一件白色的连衣裙。”

“How do you like mother’s friends?” Daisy turned her around so that she faced Gatsby.
“你觉得妈妈的朋友们怎么样?”戴茜把她转过来,让她面对盖茨比。 —

“Do you think they’re pretty?”
“你觉得她们漂亮吗?”

“Where’s Daddy?”
“爸爸在哪里?”

“She doesn’t look like her father,” explained Daisy. “She looks like me.
黛西解释说:“她看起来不像她爸爸,看起来像我。”

She’s got my hair and shape of the face.”
她有我的头发和脸型。

Daisy sat back upon the couch.
黛西坐回到沙发上, —

The nurse took a step forward and held out her hand.
护士向前迈了一步,伸出手。

“Come, Pammy.”
“来,帕米。”

“Goodbye, sweetheart!”
“再见,宝贝!”

With a reluctant backward glance the well-disciplined child held to her nurse’s hand and was pulled out the door, just as Tom came back, preceding four gin rickeys that clicked full of ice.
那个受过良好管教的孩子依依不舍地望了一眼,牵住护士的手,就在这时,汤姆回来了,前面还跟着四杯装满冰块的琼瑞酒。

Gatsby took up his drink.
盖茨比拿起他的酒杯。

“They certainly look cool,” he said, with visible tension.
“它们看上去确实很凉爽,”他带着明显的紧张说。

We drank in long greedy swallows.
我们狼吞虎咽地喝了下去。

“I read somewhere that the sun’s getting hotter every year,” said Tom genially. “It seems that pretty soon the earth’s going to fall into the sun–or wait a minute–it’s just the opposite–the sun’s getting colder every year.
“我读过某个地方说太阳每年都越来越热,” 汤姆和蔼地说。“看来不久后地球就会掉进太阳里——或者等一下——恰恰相反——太阳每年都越来越冷。”

“Come outside,” he suggested to Gatsby, “I’d like you to have a look at the place.”
“出去走走吧,”他对盖茨比建议道,“我想你应该看看这个地方。”

I went with them out to the veranda. On the green Sound, stagnant in the heat, one small sail crawled slowly toward the fresher sea.
我和他们一起走到了阳台上。在炎热中停滞不前的格林海湾,一只小帆船缓慢地驶向更清新的海洋。 —

Gatsby’s eyes followed it momentarily;
盖茨比的眼睛瞥了一眼, —

he raised his hand and pointed across the bay.
他举起手指过湾。

“I’m right across from you.”
“我就在你对面。”

“So you are.”
“是的。”

Our eyes lifted over the rosebeds and the hot lawn and the weedy refuse of the dog days along shore.
我们的目光飘过玫瑰花床、炎热的草坪和临海的杂草废物。 —

Slowly the white wings of the boat moved against the blue cool limit of the sky.
小船的白色帆布慢慢地在蔚蓝的天空中移动。 —

Ahead lay the scalloped ocean and the abounding blessed isles.
前方是起伏的海洋和丰富的神圣岛屿。

“There’s sport for you,” said Tom, nodding.
“那是你的运动场,”汤姆点头道。 —

“I’d like to be out there with him for about an hour.”
“我想和他一起在那里待上一个小时。”

We had luncheon in the dining-room, darkened, too, against the heat, and drank down nervous gayety with the cold ale.
我们在餐厅里用午餐,也因为炎热而昏暗,喝下冰凉的麦酒时,充满了紧张的快乐。

“What’ll we do with ourselves this afternoon,” cried Daisy, “and the day after that, and the next thirty years?”
“下午我们会做些什么呢?”黛西大声问道,“还有明天,以及接下来的三十年呢?”

“Don’t be morbid,” Jordan said.
“别说这么压抑。”乔丹说, —

“Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.”
“当秋天变得凉爽的时候,生活会重新开始。”

“But it’s so hot,” insisted Daisy, on the verge of tears, “And everything’s so confused.
“可是天太热了。”黛西坚持地说,几乎要哭出来,“一切都感到混乱。 —

Let’s all go to town!”
让我们都去市里吧!”

Her voice struggled on through the heat, beating against it, moulding its senselessness into forms.
她的声音在炎热中艰难地挣扎着,对抗着这个无意义的世界,将其塑造成形式。

“I’ve heard of making a garage out of a stable,” Tom was saying to Gatsby, “but I’m the first man who ever made a stable out of a garage.”
“我听说过将马厩改成车库,”汤姆对盖茨比说,“但我是第一个将车库改成马厩的人。”

“Who wants to go to town?” demanded Daisy insistently.
“谁想去市里?”黛西坚决地要求,“盖茨比,你看起来那么凉爽。 —

Gatsby’s eyes floated toward her. “Ah,” she cried, “you look so cool.”
”盖茨比的眼睛朝她漂浮过去。“啊!”她叫道,“你看起来那么酷。”

Their eyes met, and they stared together at each other, alone in space.
他们的目光相遇了,在空间中独自凝视着对方。

With an effort she glanced down at the table.
她费力地低头看着桌子。

“You always look so cool,” she repeated.
“你总是看起来那么酷。”她重复道。

She had told him that she loved him, and Tom Buchanan saw.
她告诉了他她爱他,汤姆·布坎南看到了。 —

He was astounded. His mouth opened a little and he looked at Gatsby and then back at Daisy as if he had just recognized her as some one he knew a long time ago.
他惊呆了。他的嘴微微张开,他看着盖茨比,然后又看着黛西,就好像他刚刚认出她是很久以前的某个人。

“You resemble the advertisement of the man,” she went on innocently.
“你像广告上的那个男人。”她天真地说道。

“You know the advertisement of the man—-”
“你知道那个男人的广告——”

“All right,” broke in Tom quickly, “I’m perfectly willing to go to town.
“好吧。”汤姆急忙插话,“我完全愿意去市里。来吧, —

Come on–we’re all going to town.”
我们都去市里。”

He got up, his eyes still flashing between Gatsby and his wife.
他站起来,双眼仍在盖茨比和妻子之间闪烁。

No one moved.
没有人动了。

“Come on!” His temper cracked a little.
“走吧!”他的脾气有点崩溃了, —

“What’s the matter, anyhow?
“到底怎么了?

If we’re going to town let’s start.”
“如果我们要去市里,那就开始吧。”

His hand, trembling with his effort at self control, bore to his lips the last of his glass of ale.
他颤抖的手费力地将最后一口啤酒送到嘴唇。黛西的声音让我们站起身, —

Daisy’s voice got us to our feet and out on to the blazing gravel drive.
走出炙热的碎石路。

“Are we just going to go?” she objected. “Like this?
“我们就要出发了吗?”她反对道,“就这样吗? —

Aren’t we going to let any one smoke a cigarette first?”
我们难道不让任何人先抽根烟吗?”

“Everybody smoked all through lunch.”
“午餐时每个人都抽了烟。”

“Oh, let’s have fun,” she begged him.
“哦,让我们开心一点吧,”她乞求着他。 —

“It’s too hot to fuss.”
“天气太热了,不要纠结了。”

He didn’t answer.
他没有回答。

“Have it your own way,” she said. “Come on, Jordan.”
“随你的便吧,”她说。“来吧,乔丹。”

They went upstairs to get ready while we three men stood there shuffling the hot pebbles with our feet.
他们上楼去准备,而我们三个男人站在那里用脚踢着热乎乎的石子。 —

A silver curve of the moon hovered already in the western sky.
一弯银色的月亮已经悬挂在西方的天空中。盖茨比想开口, —

Gatsby started to speak, changed his mind, but not before Tom wheeled and faced him expectantly.
又改变了主意,但汤姆已经转身面对着他,期待地看着他。

“Have you got your stables here?” asked Gatsby with an effort.
“你这里有马厩吗?”盖茨比费了些力气问道。

“About a quarter of a mile down the road.”
“就在路上大约四分之一英里的地方。”

“Oh.”
“哦。”

A pause.
停顿片刻。

“I don’t see the idea of going to town,” broke out Tom savagely.
“我不明白为什么要去镇上,”汤姆愤怒地突然发作起来。

“Women get these notions in their heads—-”
“女人们脑袋里都有这种想法——”

“Shall we take anything to drink?” called Daisy from an upper window.
“我们拿点喝的吗?”黛西从楼上的窗户里喊道。

“I’ll get some whiskey,” answered Tom. He went inside.
“我去弄点威士忌,”汤姆回答道。他进了屋子。

Gatsby turned to me rigidly:
盖茨比僵硬地转向我:

“I can’t say anything in his house, old sport.”
“在他的房子里我不能说什么,老兄。”

“She’s got an indiscreet voice,” I remarked. “It’s full of—-”
“她的声音有点轻佻,”我说。“充满了——”

I hesitated.
我犹豫了一下。

“Her voice is full of money,” he said suddenly.
“她的声音充满了金钱,”他突然说道。

That was it. I’d never understood before.
就是这个。以前我从未理解过。 —

It was full of money–that was the inexhaustible charm that rose and fell in it, the jingle of it, the cymbals’ song of it.
里面充满了金钱——这就是它的无穷魅力,在其中上下起伏的铃声,它的铙钹之歌……在一座洁白的宫殿高处, —

… High in a white palace the king’s daughter, the golden girl….
国王的女儿,那个金色的女孩……

Tom came out of the house wrapping a quart bottle in a towel, followed by Daisy and Jordan wearing small tight hats of metallic cloth and carrying light capes over their arms.
汤姆从房子里出来,用毛巾包着一个夸脱瓶,后面跟着黛西和乔丹,她们戴着由金属布制成的小紧身帽子,手里拿着轻便的披风。

“Shall we all go in my car?” suggested Gatsby.
“我们都坐我的车里吧?”盖茨比建议道。 —

He felt the hot, green leather of the seat.
他摸着炙热的绿色座椅。 —

“I ought to have left it in the shade.”
“我应该把车停在阴凉处。”

“Is it standard shift?” demanded Tom.
“汤姆要求,“这是标准换挡车吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Well, you take my coupé and let me drive your car to town.”
“好吧,你开我的轿车,我开你的车去市区。”

The suggestion was distasteful to Gatsby.
这个建议让盖茨比很不喜欢。

“I don’t think there’s much gas,” he objected.
“我觉得油不多了,”他反对道。

“Plenty of gas,” said Tom boisterously. He looked at the gauge.
“油还很多,”汤姆洪亮地说着。他看了看油表。

“And if it runs out I can stop at a drug store.
“万一用完了,我可以在药店停下来。 —

You can buy anything at a drug store nowadays.”
现在的药店什么都有卖。”

A pause followed this apparently pointless remark.
这个貌似毫无意义的话引发了一阵沉默。 —

Daisy looked at Tom frowning and an indefinable expression, at once definitely unfamiliar and vaguely recognizable, as if I had only heard it described in words, passed over Gatsby’s face.
黛西皱着眉头看着汤姆,盖茨比的脸上出现了一种难以言喻的表情,既陌生又似曾相识,就像我只是听别人用词描绘过那种表情一样。

“Come on, Daisy,” said Tom, pressing her with his hand toward Gatsby’s car.
“走吧,黛西,”汤姆伸手拍了拍她,示意她上盖茨比的车。 —

“I’ll take you in this circus wagon.”
“我开这辆马戏团的货车送你。”

He opened the door but she moved out from the circle of his arm.
他打开车门,但她却挪开了他的手臂的范围。

“You take Nick and Jordan. We’ll follow you in the coupé.”
“你带着尼克和乔丹去吧。我们会跟在你们后面的轿车里。”

She walked close to Gatsby, touching his coat with her hand.
她走近盖茨比,用手碰了碰他的外套。 —

Jordan and Tom and I got into the front seat of Gatsby’s car, Tom pushed the unfamiliar gears tentatively and we shot off into the oppressive heat leaving them out of sight behind.
乔丹、汤姆和我坐进了盖茨比的车前座,汤姆不确定地推动着这个陌生的换挡杆,我们在酷热的天气中疾驰而去,把他们远远抛在身后消失在视线之外。

“Did you see that?” demanded Tom.
“你看到了吗?”汤姆要求道。

“See what?”
“看到了什么?”

He looked at me keenly, realizing that Jordan and I must have known all along.
他敏锐地看着我,意识到乔丹和我一定一直都知道。

“You think I’m pretty dumb, don’t you?” he suggested.
“你认为我很笨,不是吗?”他暗示道。“也许我是, —

“Perhaps I am, but I have a–almost a second sight, sometimes, that tells me what to do.
但有时候,我有一种几乎可以称之为第二视觉的感觉,告诉我该怎么做。

Maybe you don’t believe that, but science—-”
也许你不相信,但科学—-”

He paused. The immediate contingency overtook him, pulled him back from the edge of the theoretical abyss.
他停顿了一下。眼前的事态突然压倒了他,将他从理论的边缘拉了回来。

“I’ve made a small investigation of this fellow,” he continued. “I could have gone deeper if I’d known—-”
“我对这个家伙做了一点调查,”他继续说道。“如果我早知道的话,我本可以深入调查的。”

“Do you mean you’ve been to a medium?” inquired Jordan humorously.
“你是说你去找了一个灵媒?”乔丹幽默地问道。

“What?” Confused, he stared at us as we laughed. “A medium?”
“什么?”他迷惑地盯着我们,我们笑个不停。“一个通灵者?”

“About Gatsby.”
“关于盖茨比的。”

“About Gatsby! No, I haven’t.
“关于盖茨比!不, —

I said I’d been making a small investigation of his past.”
我只是稍微调查了一下他的过去。”

“And you found he was an Oxford man,” said Jordan helpfully.
乔丹帮忙地说:“你发现他是牛津人。”

“An Oxford man!” He was incredulous.
“牛津人!”他难以置信。“才不是呢! —

“Like hell he is! He wears a pink suit.”
他穿着粉红色的西装。”

“Nevertheless he’s an Oxford man.”
“尽管如此,他是牛津人。”

“Oxford, New Mexico,” snorted Tom contemptuously, “or something like that.”
汤姆轻蔑地哼了一声,“牛津,新墨西哥州之类的地方。”

“Listen, Tom. If you’re such a snob, why did you invite him to lunch?” demanded Jordan crossly.
“听着,汤姆。如果你这么势利,为什么要邀请他来吃午饭?”乔丹生气地质问。

“Daisy invited him; she knew him before we were married–God knows where!”
“是黛西邀请他来的;我们结婚之前她就认识他—天晓得在哪里!”

We were all irritable now with the fading ale and, aware of it, we drove for a while in silence.
我们都因为酒后的烦躁而烦躁,意识到这一点后,我们沉默了一会儿。 —

Then as Doctor T. J. Eckleburg’s faded eyes came into sight down the road, I remembered Gatsby’s caution about gasoline.
然后,当T. J. 艾克勒伯格医生黯然的眼睛出现在路上时,我想起盖茨比关于汽油的提醒。

“We’ve got enough to get us to town,” said Tom.
“我们有足够的汽油开到镇上了。”汤姆说。

“But there’s a garage right here,” objected Jordan.
“但这儿就有一家加油站。”乔丹反对道, —

“I don’t want to get stalled in this baking heat.”
“我不想在这种酷热中被困在这里。”

Tom threw on both brakes impatiently and we slid to an abrupt dusty stop under Wilson’s sign.
汤姆不耐烦地踩下刹车,我们在尘土飞扬的轰鸣声中突然停了下来, —

After a moment the proprietor emerged from the interior of his establishment and gazed hollow-eyed at the car.
停在威尔逊的招牌下。片刻后,店主从店内走出来,眼眶空洞地望着汽车。

“Let’s have some gas!” cried Tom roughly.
“给我来点汽油!”汤姆粗暴地喊道, —

“What do you think we stopped for–to admire the view?”
“你以为我们停下来是为了欣赏风景吗?”

“I’m sick,” said Wilson without moving. “I been sick all day.”
“我病了,”威尔逊没有动,说:“我整天都不舒服。”

“What’s the matter?”
“怎么了?”

“I’m all run down.”
“我精疲力尽。”

“Well, shall I help myself?” Tom demanded.
“好吧,我自己动手?”汤姆要求, —

“You sounded well enough on the phone.”
“你在电话里听起来还不错。”

With an effort Wilson left the shade and support of the doorway and, breathing hard, unscrewed the cap of the tank.
威尔逊费了些力气离开门廊的阴凉处,喘着粗气,拧开了油箱盖。阳光下, —

In the sunlight his face was green.
他的脸色苍白。

“I didn’t mean to interrupt your lunch,” he said.
“我不是想打扰你们的午餐,”他说, —

“But I need money pretty bad and I was wondering what you were going to do with your old car.”
“但是我很需要钱,我想知道你们准备怎么处理你们的旧车。”

“How do you like this one?” inquired Tom. “I bought it last week.”
“你觉得怎么样?”汤姆问道。“我上星期买的。”

“It’s a nice yellow one,” said Wilson, as he strained at the handle.
“是一辆漂亮的黄色车。”威尔逊说着,使劲拉把手。

“Like to buy it?”
“要买吗?”

“Big chance,” Wilson smiled faintly. “No, but I could make some money on the other.”
“大机会。”威尔逊微笑着说。“不,但是我可以在别的地方赚点钱。”

“What do you want money for, all of a sudden?”
“突然间你要钱干嘛?”

“I’ve been here too long. I want to get away.
“我在这里待得太久了。我想离开。 —

My wife and I want to go west.”
我和我妻子想去西部。”

“Your wife does!” exclaimed Tom, startled.
“你妻子!?”汤姆吃了一惊。

“She’s been talking about it for ten years.” He rested for a moment against the pump, shading his eyes.
“她说了十年了。”他稍微停了一下,靠在泵上,遮住了眼睛。 —

“And now she’s going whether she wants to or not.
“现在不管她愿意不愿意, —

I’m going to get her away.”
我都要带她走。”

The coupé flashed by us with a flurry of dust and the flash of a waving hand.
一辆有沙尘的轿车冲着我们呼啸而过,里面有个挥手的人。

“What do I owe you?” demanded Tom harshly.
“我欠你多少钱?”汤姆严厉地问道。

“I just got wised up to something funny the last two days,” remarked Wilson. “That’s why I want to get away.
“我最近两天才弄明白点怪事,”威尔逊说。“这就是我想离开的原因。 —

That’s why I been bothering you about the car.”
这也是我一直来找你要那辆车的原因。”

“What do I owe you?”
“我欠你多少钱?”

“Dollar twenty.”
“1.2美元。”

The relentless beating heat was beginning to confuse me and I had a bad moment there before I realized that so far his suspicions hadn’t alighted on Tom. He had discovered that Myrtle had some sort of life apart from him in another world and the shock had made him physically sick.
烈日无情地折磨着我,我脑子有一瞬间很混乱,在我意识到威尔逊还没有怀疑上汤姆之前,他已经窥探到了那个无关他的世界里的默特尔。这个打击让他生病了。我盯着他看, —

I stared at him and then at Tom, who had made a parallel discovery less than an hour before–and it occurred to me that there was no difference between men, in intelligence or race, so profound as the difference between the sick and the well. Wilson was so sick that he looked guilty, unforgivably guilty–as if he had just got some poor girl with child.
然后又看了看汤姆,不到一个小时前他也发现了类似的秘密——我意识到,智力或种族之间的差异并不像病人和健康人的差异那样深刻。威尔逊病得太厉害了,他看起来像有罪一样,不可原谅——好像他刚刚让一个可怜的女孩怀了孕。

“I’ll let you have that car,” said Tom. “I’ll send it over tomorrow afternoon.”
“我把车给你,”汤姆说。“明天下午我会把它送过去。”

That locality was always vaguely disquieting, even in the broad glare of afternoon, and now I turned my head as though I had been warned of something behind.
那个地方总是让我感到不安,即使在明亮的下午,现在我转过头好像是被什么东西警告了。在废墟上, —

Over the ashheaps the giant eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg kept their vigil but I perceived, after a moment, that other eyes were regarding us with peculiar intensity from less than twenty feet away.
T. J. 艾克勒伯格博士的巨大眼睛仍然保持着警戒,但过了一会儿,我察觉到,还有其他的眼睛在不到二十英尺的地方专注地看着我们。

In one of the windows over the garage the curtains had been moved aside a little and Myrtle Wilson was peering down at the car.
车库上的一个窗户拉开了一点,默特尔·威尔逊正透过那看着车。她全神贯注, —

So engrossed was she that she had no consciousness of being observed and one emotion after another crept into her face like objects into a slowly developing picture.
没有注意到有人在观察她,一种情感接着又一种情感,像物体一样进入她的脸上,就像一幅慢慢展开的画。 —

Her expression was curiously familiar–it was an expression I had often seen on women’s faces but on Myrtle Wilson’s face it seemed purposeless and inexplicable until I realized that her eyes, wide with jealous terror, were fixed not on Tom, but on Jordan Baker, whom she took to be his wife.
她的表情有点熟悉——我经常在女人的脸上见过那种表情,但是在默特尔·威尔逊的脸上,它看起来毫无意义和莫名其妙,直到我意识到她的眼睛因嫉妒和恐惧而睁得大大的,盯着的不是汤姆,而是她以为是他妻子的乔丹·贝克。

There is no confusion like the confusion of a simple mind, and as we drove away Tom was feeling the hot whips of panic. His wife and his mistress, until an hour ago secure and inviolate, were slipping precipitately from his control.
没有什么比一个简单的思维更加困惑人了,我们驶离的时候,汤姆正感受到恐慌的鞭挞。他的妻子和情妇到此时过去了一个小时,原本安全无虞,却在他的控制之外逐渐消逝。 —

Instinct made him step on the accelerator with the double purpose of overtaking Daisy and leaving Wilson behind, and we sped along toward Astoria at fifty miles an hour, until, among the spidery girders of the elevated, we came in sight of the easygoing blue coupé.
本能促使他踩下油门踏板,目的是追上黛西,把威尔逊甩在身后,我们以每小时五十英里的速度向着阿斯托里亚驶去,在高架桥上,我们看到了那辆轻松舒适的蓝色轿车。

“Those big movies around Fiftieth Street are cool,” suggested Jordan.
“菲蒂街上的大电影院很凉快,”乔丹建议道。

“I love New York on summer afternoons when every one’s away.
“夏日的纽约,每个人都离开时我最喜欢。 —

There’s something very sensuous about it–overripe, as if all sorts of funny fruits were going to fall into your hands.”
有一种肉感的东西——过熟了,仿佛各种有趣的水果都要掉进你的手里。”

The word “sensuous” had the effect of further disquieting Tom but before he could invent a protest the coupé came to a stop and Daisy signalled us to draw up alongside.
“感性”这个词让汤姆感到更加不安,但在他能够发表抗议之前,小跑车停了下来,黛西示意我们停在旁边。

“Where are we going?” she cried.
“我们要去哪里?”她喊道。

“How about the movies?”
“去看电影怎么样?”

“It’s so hot,” she complained. “You go.
“天气太热了,”她抱怨道,“你去看吧, —

We’ll ride around and meet you after.” With an effort her wit rose faintly, “We’ll meet you on some corner.
我们会在附近转转,然后和你会合。”她费了点劲才说出这句机智的话,“我们会在某个拐角处等你。 —

I’ll be the man smoking two cigarettes.”
我会是那个抽着两支烟的男人。”

“We can’t argue about it here,” Tom said impatiently as a truck gave out a cursing whistle behind us.
汤姆不耐烦地说:“我们不能在这里争论这个问题。”后面一辆卡车发出了一声咒骂的汽笛声。 —

“You follow me to the south side of Central Park, in front of the Plaza.”
“你们跟我去中央公园南边,在广场前面见。”

Several times he turned his head and looked back for their car, and if the traffic delayed them he slowed up until they came into sight.
他几次回头看他们的车,如果交通堵塞他会放慢速度直到他们出现在视野中。 —

I think he was afraid they would dart down a side street and out of his life forever.
我想他害怕他们会突然拐进一条小巷,永远消失在他的生活中。

But they didn’t. And we all took the less explicable step of engaging the parlor of a suite in the Plaza Hotel.
但他们没有。我们大家不知为何决定进入广场饭店的套房休息室,这个决定对我来说是不可理解的。

The prolonged and tumultuous argument that ended by herding us into that room eludes me, though I have a sharp physical memory that, in the course of it, my underwear kept climbing like a damp snake around my legs and intermittent beads of sweat raced cool across my back.
在那个停车的关头,我们进行了一场漫长而混乱的争论,尽管我记得很清楚在争论中,我的内衣像一条湿蛇一样往上爬,断断续续的汗珠从背上爬过。 —

The notion originated with Daisy’s suggestion that we hire five bathrooms and take cold baths, and then assumed more tangible form as “a place to have a mint julep.” Each of us said over and over that it was a “crazy idea”–we all talked at once to a baffled clerk and thought, or pretended to think, that we were being very funny….
这个主意起源于黛西建议我们租五个浴室洗个冷水澡,然后变得更加具体,成为“喝一杯薄荷糖浆酒的地方”。我们每个人都反复说着这是“个疯狂的主意”——我们同时对着一位困惑的店员说话,自以为很有趣……

The room was large and stifling, and, though it was already four o’clock, opening the windows admitted only a gust of hot shrubbery from the Park. Daisy went to the mirror and stood with her back to us, fixing her hair.
房间又大又闷热,虽然已经是四点钟了,但打开窗户只能进来一阵热气和公园里的灌木丛。黛西走到镜子前,背对着我们,整理着她的头发。

“It’s a swell suite,” whispered Jordan respectfully and every one laughed.
“这个套房真不错,”乔丹恭敬地低声说,大家都笑了。

“Open another window,” commanded Daisy, without turning around.
“再打开一个窗户,”黛西命令道,没有转过身来。

“There aren’t any more.”
“没有了。”

“Well, we’d better telephone for an axe—-”
“那我们最好打电话叫来一把斧子——”

“The thing to do is to forget about the heat,” said Tom impatiently.
“解决这个热问题最好的办法是忘掉它,”汤姆不耐烦地说。

“You make it ten times worse by crabbing about it.”
“你一直抱怨只会让它变得十倍糟。”

He unrolled the bottle of whiskey from the towel and put it on the table.
他把毛巾里的瓶子解开,放在了桌子上。

“Why not let her alone, old sport?” remarked Gatsby.
“让她一个人待着吧,老兄,”盖茨比说道, —

“You’re the one that wanted to come to town.”
“是你想要来城里的。”

There was a moment of silence.
一时间寂静无声。 —

The telephone book slipped from its nail and splashed to the floor, whereupon Jordan whispered “Excuse me”–but this time no one laughed.
电话簿从挂钩上滑落到地板上,于是乔丹低声说:“对不起”——但这次没有人笑了。

“I’ll pick it up,” I offered.
我提议道:“我去捡。”

“I’ve got it.” Gatsby examined the parted string, muttered “Hum!” in an interested way, and tossed the book on a chair.
“我来。”盖茨比查看了一下掉下来的线,带着兴趣嘀咕了一声,“嗯。”然后把电话簿扔到椅子上。

“That’s a great expression of yours, isn’t it?” said Tom sharply.
“那是你的一个很棒的表情,对吧?”汤姆尖刻地说道。

“What is?”
“什么?”

“All this ‘old sport’ business. Where’d you pick that up?”
“这一切的‘老兄’的事情。你从哪里学会的?”

“Now see here, Tom,” said Daisy, turning around from the mirror, “if you’re going to make personal remarks I won’t stay here a minute.
黛西从镜子前转过身来说:“现在听着,汤姆,如果你要说私人的话,我可待不下去了。 —

Call up and order some ice for the mint julep.”
打电话叫些冰来装薄荷朱古力酒。”

As Tom took up the receiver the compressed heat exploded into sound and we were listening to the portentous chords of Mendelssohn’s Wedding March from the ballroom below.
当汤姆拿起话筒的时候,压缩的热气爆裂成声音,我们听到了下面舞厅中庄严的门德尔松的《婚礼进行曲》的旋律。

“Imagine marrying anybody in this heat!” cried Jordan dismally.
“想象在这种炎热中结婚!”乔丹沮丧地喊道。

“Still–I was married in the middle of June,” Daisy remembered, “Louisville in June!
黛西回忆起来说:“可是,我是在六月中旬结婚的,就在路易斯维尔的六月! —

Somebody fainted. Who was it fainted, Tom?”
有人晕倒了,谁晕倒的,汤姆?”

“Biloxi,” he answered shortly.
他冷冷地回答:“比洛克西。”

“A man named Biloxi. ‘Blocks’ Biloxi, and he made boxes–that’s a fact–and he was from Biloxi, Tennessee.”
乔丹接着说:“一个名叫比洛克西的人。比洛克西‘砖块’,他做盒子,这是真的,他来自田纳西的比洛克西。”

“They carried him into my house,” appended Jordan, “because we lived just two doors from the church.
她补充道:“他们把他抬进了我的房子,因为我们离教堂只有两个门。 —

And he stayed three weeks, until Daddy told him he had to get out.
他在那儿呆了三个星期,直到我爸爸告诉他必须离开。他走后的第二天, —

The day after he left Daddy died.” After a moment she added as if she might have sounded irreverent, “There wasn’t any connection.”
我爸爸去世了。”过了片刻,她好像觉得自己说的不够尊重,又补充说:“这两件事之间没有任何联系。”

“I used to know a Bill Biloxi from Memphis,” I remarked.
“我以前认识一个来自孟菲斯的比尔·比洛克西。”我评论道。

“That was his cousin. I knew his whole family history before he left.
“那是他的表弟。在他离开前,我了解了他的整个家族历史。”

He gave me an aluminum putter that I use today.”
他送给了我一把铝制高尔夫球杆,我今天还在使用。

The music had died down as the ceremony began and now a long cheer floated in at the window, followed by intermittent cries of “Yea–ea–ea!” and finally by a burst of jazz as the dancing began.
音乐在仪式开始时渐渐停止,然后窗外传来长时间的欢呼声,接着是断断续续的“耶-耶-耶”的呼喊声,最后是爵士乐的爆发,舞蹈开始了。

“We’re getting old,” said Daisy. “If we were young we’d rise and dance.”
黛西说:“我们都老了,如果我们年轻的话,我们会站起来跳舞。”

“Remember Biloxi,” Jordan warned her.
乔丹警告她:“记住比洛克西。 —

“Where’d you know him, Tom?”
”“你是在哪里认识他的,汤姆?”

“Biloxi?” He concentrated with an effort.
汤姆用力集中思绪。“比洛克西? —

“I didn’t know him. He was a friend of Daisy’s.”
我不认识他。他是黛西的一个朋友。”

“He was not,” she denied.
黛西否认道:“他才不是我认识的人。 —

“I’d never seen him before.
在他临走的时候,他乘坐私人车来的, —

He came down in the private car.”
布尔德临时带他过来问我们是否有空间。”

“Well, he said he knew you.
她接着说:“嗯,他说认识你。 —

He said he was raised in Louisville.
他说他是在路易斯维尔长大的。”

Asa Bird brought him around at the last minute and asked if we had room for him.”
“好吧,他是他的表兄。”她回答说。

Jordan smiled.
乔丹微笑着。

“He was probably bumming his way home.
“他可能正在找捷径回家。 —

He told me he was president of your class at Yale.”
他告诉我他在耶鲁大学是你们班的班长。”

Tom and I looked at each other blankly.
汤姆和我面面相觑。

“BilOxi?”
“比洛克西?”

“First place, we didn’t have any president—-”
“首先,我们没有班长——”

Gatsby’s foot beat a short, restless tattoo and Tom eyed him suddenly.
盖茨比的脚急不可耐地敲打地面,汤姆突然盯着他。

“By the way, Mr. Gatsby, I understand you’re an Oxford man.”
“顺便说一下, 盖茨比先生,我听说你是牛津人。”

“Not exactly.”
“不完全是。”

“Oh, yes, I understand you went to Oxford.”
“哦,是的,我听说你去过牛津。”

“Yes–I went there.”
“是的——我去过。”

A pause. Then Tom’s voice, incredulous and insulting:
停顿。然后是汤姆怀疑而侮辱的声音:

“You must have gone there about the time Biloxi went to New Haven.”
“你大概是在比洛克西去纽黑文的时候去的牛津吧。”

Another pause. A waiter knocked and came in with crushed mint and ice but the silence was unbroken by his “Thank you” and the soft closing of the door.
又是一次停顿。一个服务员敲敲门走进来,拿着压碎过的薄荷和冰块,但他的“谢谢”和轻轻关上门的声音没有打破室内的寂静。 —

This tremendous detail was to be cleared up at last.
这个极为重要的细节终于要搞清楚了。

“I told you I went there,” said Gatsby.
“我告诉过你了,我去过那里,”盖茨比说。

“I heard you, but I’d like to know when.”
“我听到了,但是我想知道是什么时候去的。”

“It was in nineteen-nineteen, I only stayed five months.
“是在1919年。我只待了五个月。 —

That’s why I can’t really call myself an Oxford man.”
所以我不能算是真正的牛津人。”

Tom glanced around to see if we mirrored his unbelief.
汤姆环视四周,想看我们是否和他一样不信。 —

But we were all looking at Gatsby.
但我们都在看盖茨比。

“It was an opportunity they gave to some of the officers after the Armistice,” he continued. “We could go to any of the universities in England or France.”
“这是停战后他们给一些军官提供的机会,”他继续说道,” 我们可以去英国或法国的任何一所大学。”

I wanted to get up and slap him on the back.
我想站起来拍拍他的背。 —

I had one of those renewals of complete faith in him that I’d experienced before.
我再次对他产生了完全的信心。

Daisy rose, smiling faintly, and went to the table.
黛西微笑着站起来,走向餐桌。

“Open the whiskey, Tom,” she ordered.
“汤姆,倒点威士忌,”她命令道, —

“And I’ll make you a mint julep.
“我给你做一杯薄荷茱莉普。”

Then you won’t seem so stupid to yourself.
那样你就不会对自己感到那么愚蠢了. —

… Look at the mint!”
..看看这些薄荷!”

“Wait a minute,” snapped Tom, “I want to ask Mr. Gatsby one more question.”
“等一下,”汤姆厉声说道,“我还想问 老盖茨比 先生一个问题。”

“Go on,” Gatsby said politely.
“请说,”老盖茨比礼貌地说道。

“What kind of a row are you trying to cause in my house anyhow?”
“你到底想在我家闹出什么事?”

They were out in the open at last and Gatsby was content.
他们终于在户外,老盖茨比很满足。

“He isn’t causing a row.” Daisy looked desperately from one to the other.
“他没有惹事。”黛西绝望地看着两人。 —

“You’re causing a row. Please have a little self control.”
“是你在惹事。请你自我控制一下。”

“Self control!” repeated Tom incredulously.
“自我控制!”汤姆难以置信地重复道, —

“I suppose the latest thing is to sit back and let Mr. Nobody from Nowhere make love to your wife.
“我想现在最新的事情就是袖手旁观,让一个来自无处的陌生人与你妻子调情。

Well, if that’s the idea you can count me out.
“好吧,如果这就是你的主意, —

… Nowadays people begin by sneering at family life and family institutions and next they’ll throw everything overboard and have intermarriage between black and white.”
那么我退出。”如今,人们开始嘲笑家庭生活和家庭制度,接下来他们会扔掉一切,开始黑人和白人之间的通婚。”

Flushed with his impassioned gibberish he saw himself standing alone on the last barrier of civilization.
他激动地说着这些激情四溢的胡言乱语,看到自己孤身一人站在文明的最后屏障上。

“We’re all white here,” murmured Jordan.
“我们这里都是白人,”约旦低声说道。

“I know I’m not very popular. I don’t give big parties.
“我知道我不太受欢迎。我不举办盛大的聚会。 —

I suppose you’ve got to make your house into a pigsty in order to have any friends–in the modern world.”
我猜你们也得把你的房子弄成猪圈,才能有朋友–在现代社会里。”

Angry as I was, as we all were, I was tempted to laugh whenever he opened his mouth.
尽管我和大家一样生气,但每次他开口,我都忍不住想笑。 —

The transition from libertine to prig was so complete.
从放荡不羁到伪君子的过渡如此彻底。

“I’ve got something to tell YOU, old sport, —-” began Gatsby. But Daisy guessed at his intention.
“我要告诉你一件事,老兄,” 老盖茨比 开始说。但是黛西猜到了他的意图。

“Please don’t!” she interrupted helplessly. “Please let’s all go home.
“拜托别这样!”她无助地打断道,“拜托让我们都回家吧。

Why don’t we all go home?”
为什么我们都不回家呢?”

“That’s a good idea.” I got up. “Come on, Tom. Nobody wants a drink.”
“这是个好主意。”我站起身,“来吧,汤姆。没人想喝酒。”

“I want to know what Mr. Gatsby has to tell me.”
“我想知道 老盖茨比 先生要告诉我的是什么。”

“Your wife doesn’t love you,” said Gatsby. “She’s never loved you.
“你妻子不爱你,” 老盖茨比 说道,“她从来没有爱过你。

She loves me.”
她爱的是我。”

“You must be crazy!” exclaimed Tom automatically.
“你一定疯了!” Tom 自然而然地大声说道。

Gatsby sprang to his feet, vivid with excitement.
盖茨比兴奋地一跃而起,目光闪亮。

“She never loved you, do you hear?” he cried.
“她从来没有爱过你,听到了吗? —

“She only married you because I was poor and she was tired of waiting for me.
”他大喊道。“她只是嫁给你是因为我穷,而她等待厌倦了。 —

It was a terrible mistake, but in her heart she never loved any one except me!”
那是一个可怕的错误,但在她的心里除了我,她从未爱过别人!”

At this point Jordan and I tried to go but Tom and Gatsby insisted with competitive firmness that we remain–as though neither of them had anything to conceal and it would be a privilege to partake vicariously of their emotions.
此时,乔丹和我试图离开,但汤姆和盖茨比坚决地要求我们留下-仿佛他们中的任何一个都没有什么可隐瞒的,以及能够以次第观看他们的情感是一种特权。

“Sit down Daisy.” Tom’s voice groped unsuccessfully for the paternal note.
“坐下,黛西。”汤姆的声音企图找到父亲般的语调,但没有成功。 —

“What’s been going on? I want to hear all about it.”
“发生了什么事?我想听个明白。”

“I told you what’s been going on,” said Gatsby.
“我告诉过你发生了什么事,”盖茨比说。 —

“Going on for five years–and you didn’t know.”
“发生了五年-而你却不知道。”

Tom turned to Daisy sharply.
汤姆猛然转向黛西。

“You’ve been seeing this fellow for five years?”
“你见过这个家伙五年了?”

“Not seeing,” said Gatsby. “No, we couldn’t meet.
“没见过。”盖茨比说。“不, —

But both of us loved each other all that time, old sport, and you didn’t know. I used to laugh sometimes–“but there was no laughter in his eyes, “to think that you didn’t know.”
我们不能见面。但我们两个都爱对方那么长时间,老兄,而你却不知道。有时候我就嘿嘿地笑-“但他眼中没有笑容,“想到你不知道。”

“Oh–that’s all.” Tom tapped his thick fingers together like a clergyman and leaned back in his chair.
“哦-仅此而已。”汤姆像一个牧师一样敲了敲他粗大的手指,靠在椅子上。

“You’re crazy!” he exploded.
“你疯了!”他爆发道。 —

“I can’t speak about what happened five years ago, because I didn’t know Daisy then–and I’ll be damned if I see how you got within a mile of her unless you brought the groceries to the back door.
“我不能说五年前发生了什么事,因为那时我不认识黛西-而且我真他妈看不懂你怎么会接近她,除非你是用食品进了后门。 —

But all the rest of that’s a God Damned lie.
但其他的都是该死的谎言。 —

Daisy loved me when she married me and she loves me now.”
黛西嫁给我时爱我,现在也爱我。”

“No,” said Gatsby, shaking his head.
“不,”盖茨比摇了摇头。

“She does, though. The trouble is that sometimes she gets foolish ideas in her head and doesn’t know what she’s doing.” He nodded sagely. “And what’s more, I love Daisy too.
“她是的。问题是有时候她会脑子里出现一些愚蠢的想法,不知道她在做什么。”他睿智地点了点头。“而且,我也爱黛西。 —

Once in a while I go off on a spree and make a fool of myself, but I always come back, and in my heart I love her all the time.”
偶尔我会疯狂一番,搞出些傻事,但我始终会回来,而且我的心里一直爱着她。”

“You’re revolting,” said Daisy. She turned to me, and her voice, dropping an octave lower, filled the room with thrilling scorn:
“你可真令人厌恶。”黛西说。她转向我,声音低沉了一个八度,用充满鄙视的口吻充满了房间: —

“Do you know why we left Chicago?
“你知道我们为什么离开芝加哥吗? —

I’m surprised that they didn’t treat you to the story of that little spree.”
真惊讶他们没有向你讲述那次小疯狂的故事。”

Gatsby walked over and stood beside her.
盖茨比走到她身边站着。

“Daisy, that’s all over now,” he said earnestly.
“黛西,那已经过去了,”他认真地说。 —

“It doesn’t matter any more.
“不重要了。 —

Just tell him the truth–that you never loved him–and it’s all wiped out forever.”
只要告诉他事实-你从来没有爱过他-那就永远抹去了。”

She looked at him blindly. “Why, –how could I love him–possibly?”
她茫然地看着他。“为什么,–我怎么可能爱他-可能吗?”

“You never loved him.”
“你从来没有爱过他。”

She hesitated. Her eyes fell on Jordan and me with a sort of appeal, as though she realized at last what she was doing–and as though she had never, all along, intended doing anything at all.
她犹豫了。她的眼睛落在乔丹和我身上,带着一种恳求的神情,好像她终于意识到自己在做什么-就好像她一直以来真的没有任何意图做任何事情。 —

But it was done now.
但现在已经无法挽回了。

It was too late.
太晚了。

“I never loved him,” she said, with perceptible reluctance.
“她勉强地说道:“‘我从未爱过他。”’

“Not at Kapiolani?” demanded Tom suddenly.
““不在卡皮奥拉尼吗?”汤姆突然问道。

“No.”
““没有。”

From the ballroom beneath, muffled and suffocating chords were drifting up on hot waves of air.
从楼下的宴会厅传来压抑而窒息的和弦声,随着炎热的空气波动而上。

“Not that day I carried you down from the Punch Bowl to keep your shoes dry?” There was a husky tenderness in his tone.
““不在那天,我把你从水碗带下来,为了保护你的鞋子不湿?”他的语气中带着一种沙哑的亲切。“……黛西? —

”… Daisy?”

“Please don’t.” Her voice was cold, but the rancour was gone from it.
““请别提了。”她的声音冷漠了,但其中的怨恨已经消失了。

She looked at Gatsby. “There, Jay,” she said–but her hand as she tried to light a cigarette was trembling.
她看着盖茨比。“Jay,对,”她说——但当她试图点燃一支烟的时候,她的手颤抖了。 —

Suddenly she threw the cigarette and the burning match on the carpet.
突然间,她将香烟和燃烧的火柴扔在地毯上。

“Oh, you want too much!” she cried to Gatsby.
““哦,你太贪心了!”她对盖茨比喊道。 —

“I love you now–isn’t that enough?
“我现在爱你——这不够吗? —

I can’t help what’s past.” She began to sob helplessly.
我无法控制过去。”她开始无助地抽泣起来。

“I did love him once–but I loved you too.”
““我曾经爱过他——但我也爱过你。”

Gatsby’s eyes opened and closed.
盖茨比的双眼睁开又闭上。

“You loved me TOO?” he repeated.
““你也爱过我?”他重复道。

“Even that’s a lie,” said Tom savagely.
““连那都是谎言。”汤姆愤怒地说。 —

“She didn’t know you were alive.
“她不知道你活着。”

Why,–there’re things between Daisy and me that you’ll never know, things that neither of us can ever forget.”
“为什么——在黛西和我之间,有些事情你永远不会知道,有些事情我们两个永远无法忘记。”

The words seemed to bite physically into Gatsby.
这些话仿佛剧痛地撕裂着盖茨比的心。

“I want to speak to Daisy alone,” he insisted. “She’s all excited now—-”
““我想和黛西单独说话,”他坚持道。“她现在太激动了——”

“Even alone I can’t say I never loved Tom,” she admitted in a pitiful voice.
““即使单独我也不能说我从未爱过汤姆,”她用可怜的声音承认道。 —

“It wouldn’t be true.”
“那是不真实的。”

“Of course it wouldn’t,” agreed Tom.
““当然不会,”汤姆同意道。

She turned to her husband.
她转向丈夫。

“As if it mattered to you,” she said.
““好像对你很重要似的,”她说道。

“Of course it matters. I’m going to take better care of you from now on.”
““当然重要。从现在开始,我会更好地照顾你。”

“You don’t understand,” said Gatsby, with a touch of panic.
“你不懂。” 盖茨比说道,带着一丝惊慌。 —

“You’re not going to take care of her any more.”
“你再也不会照顾她了。”

“I’m not?” Tom opened his eyes wide and laughed.
“真的吗?”汤姆睁大眼睛笑了起来。 —

He could afford to control himself now.
他现在可以控制自己了。“为什么呢? —

“Why’s that?”

“Daisy’s leaving you.”
“黛西要离开你的。”

“Nonsense.”
“胡说八道。”

“I am, though,” she said with a visible effort.
“不过是我要离开了。”她费力地说道。

“She’s not leaving me!” Tom’s words suddenly leaned down over Gatsby.
“她不会离开我!”汤姆的话突然压倒了盖茨比。

“Certainly not for a common swindler who’d have to steal the ring he put on her finger.”
“当然不会为了一个骗子离开我,那个骗子不得不偷了她指间的戒指。”

“I won’t stand this!” cried Daisy. “Oh, please let’s get out.”
“我不能忍受这样!”黛西叫道。“哦,请让我们走吧。”

“Who are you, anyhow?” broke out Tom. “You’re one of that bunch that hangs around with Meyer Wolfshiem–that much I happen to know.
“你到底是谁?”汤姆爆发出来。“你是那一帮和迈尔 沃尔夫沙姆混在一起的家伙之一——这些我完全了解。 —

I’ve made a little investigation into your affairs–and I’ll carry it further tomorrow.”
我已经对你的事情做了一点调查,明天还会继续。”

“You can suit yourself about that, old sport.” said Gatsby steadily.
“你愿意怎么样就怎么样,老朋友。”盖茨比平静地说道。

“I found out what your ‘drug stores’ were.” He turned to us and spoke rapidly.
“我知道你的‘药房’是什么。”他转身对我们说话速度快。 —

“He and this Wolfshiem bought up a lot of side-street drug stores here and in Chicago and sold grain alcohol over the counter.
“他和这个沃尔夫沙姆在这里和芝加哥买下了许多街边药房,并在柜台上贩卖酒精。 —

That’s one of his little stunts.
那是他的小把戏之一。 —

I picked him for a bootlegger the first time I saw him and I wasn’t far wrong.”
第一次见到他,我就看出他是一个走私商,我没有错。”

“What about it?” said Gatsby politely.
“这又能怎样?”盖茨比客气地说道。 —

“I guess your friend Walter Chase wasn’t too proud to come in on it.”
“我猜你的朋友 沃尔特·切斯也不嫌弃加入其中。”

“And you left him in the lurch, didn’t you?
“你却让他承担了一个月的监禁, —

You let him go to jail for a month over in New Jersey. God!
关在新泽西。”哎呀! —

You ought to hear Walter on the subject of YOU.”
你应该听听沃尔特关于你的评论。”

“He came to us dead broke.
“他破产到我们这儿来。 —

He was very glad to pick up some money, old sport.”
这点钱对他来说是个大康乐,老朋友。”

“Don’t you call me ‘old sport’!” cried Tom. Gatsby said nothing.
“别叫我‘老朋友’!”汤姆大叫道。盖茨比没有说话。

“Walter could have you up on the betting laws too, but Wolfshiem scared him into shutting his mouth.”
“沃尔特也能找出你赌博违禁法的罪证,但沃尔夫沙姆吓唬他嘴闭了。”

That unfamiliar yet recognizable look was back again in Gatsby’s face.
那个不熟悉但又能被辨认出的表情再次出现在盖茨比的脸上。

“That drug store business was just small change,” continued Tom slowly, “but you’ve got something on now that Walter’s afraid to tell me about.”
“那个药店的生意只是一点小钱。”汤姆慢慢地继续说道,“但你现在有些事情沃尔特害怕告诉我。”

I glanced at Daisy who was staring terrified between Gatsby and her husband and at Jordan who had begun to balance an invisible but absorbing object on the tip of her chin.
我看了一眼丧失了勇气的黛西,她害怕地盯着盖茨比和丈夫,以及琼琳,她开始在下巴上平衡一样看不见但引人入胜的东西。 —

Then I turned back to Gatsby–and was startled at his expression.
然后我转回盖茨比——他的表情让我吃惊。 —

He looked–and this is said in all contempt for the babbled slander of his garden–as if he had “killed a man.” For a moment the set of his face could be described in just that fantastic way.
他看上去——尽管对他的花园中那些闲言碎语我毫不尊重——就像他“杀了一个人”一样。他的脸瞬间可以用这种奇妙的方式来形容。

It passed, and he began to talk excitedly to Daisy, denying everything, defending his name against accusations that had not been made.
然后,他开始兴奋地跟黛西说话,反驳一切,为自己的名字辩护,虽然没有被指控。 —

But with every word she was drawing further and further into herself, so he gave that up and only the dead dream fought on as the afternoon slipped away, trying to touch what was no longer tangible, struggling unhappily, undespairingly, toward that lost voice across the room.
但随着每一句话,她越来越收缩,于是他放弃了,只有那个永失的梦在战斗,下午悄然离去,试图触摸那已不复存在的东西,不幸地、无望地向着房间另一头的失去的声音努力。

The voice begged again to go.
声音恳求着再去一次。

“PLEASE, Tom! I can’t stand this any more.”
“拜托,汤姆!我再也受不了了。”

Her frightened eyes told that whatever intentions, whatever courage she had had, were definitely gone.
她惊恐的眼神表明,无论她曾经怀抱着什么意图和勇气,都已经消失殆尽。

“You two start on home, Daisy,” said Tom. “In Mr. Gatsby’s car.”
“你们两个从盖茨比先生的车上回家。”汤姆说道。

She looked at Tom, alarmed now, but he insisted with magnanimous scorn.
她开始惊慌地看向汤姆,但他傲慢地坚持着。

“Go on. He won’t annoy you.
“走吧。他不会再惹你们了。 —

I think he realizes that his presumptuous little flirtation is over.”
我想他现在已经意识到他放肆的小调情已经结束了。”

They were gone, without a word, snapped out, made accidental, isolated, like ghosts even from our pity.
他们离去了,没有说一句话,像鬼魂一样被踢出来,被孤立了起来,即便是我们对他们的同情也消失殆尽。

After a moment Tom got up and began wrapping the unopened bottle of whiskey in the towel.
过了一会儿,汤姆起身开始用毛巾包裹着没开封的威士忌酒瓶。

“Want any of this stuff? Jordan?… Nick?”
“要点这个吗?乔丹?… 尼克?”

I didn’t answer.
我没有回答。

“Nick?” He asked again.
“尼克?”他再次问道。

“What?”
“怎么了?”

“Want any?”
“要不要?”

“No… I just remembered that today’s my birthday.”
“不要… 我突然记起今天是我的生日。”

I was thirty. Before me stretched the portentous menacing road of a new decade.
我已经三十岁了。在我身前延伸着一条有着恶兆的险恶之路,预示着一个孤独的十年,认识到的单身男子越来越少,热情慢慢消失,头发逐渐稀疏。但是在我身边有乔丹,她不像黛西那样愚蠢,从一个时代带走遗忘已久的梦想。当我们驶过黑暗的桥梁时,她那虚弱的脸懒洋洋地靠在我外套的肩上,而三十岁那令人生畏的压力随着她手中安慰的拥抱而逐渐消散。

It was seven o’clock when we got into the coupé with him and started for Long Island.

Tom talked incessantly, exulting and laughing, but his voice was as remote from Jordan and me as the foreign clamor on the sidewalk or the tumult of the elevated overhead.
于是我们驶向死亡, —

Human sympathy has its limits and we were content to let all their tragic arguments fade with the city lights behind.

Thirty–the promise of a decade of loneliness, a thinning list of single men to know, a thinning brief-case of enthusiasm, thinning hair.

But there was Jordan beside me who, unlike Daisy, was too wise ever to carry well-forgotten dreams from age to age.
穿过渐冷的黄昏。 —

As we passed over the dark bridge her wan face fell lazily against my coat’s shoulder and the formidable stroke of thirty died away with the reassuring pressure of her hand.

So we drove on toward death through the cooling twilight.
年轻的希腊人迈克利斯,在煤炭堆旁边经营咖啡店,他是审讯时的主要证人。他一直睡到5点过后,走到车库时发现乔治·威尔逊在办公室里病得厉害——真的很厉害,脸色苍白如他自己灰白的头发,全身颤抖。迈克利斯劝他上床休息,但威尔逊拒绝了,说他要错过很多生意。

The young Greek, Michaelis, who ran the coffee joint beside the ashheaps was the principal witness at the inquest.
当他的邻居试图说服他时, —

He had slept through the heat until after five, when he strolled over to the garage and found George Wilson sick in his office–really sick, pale as his own pale hair and shaking all over.
楼上爆发出一阵猛烈的噪音。 —

Michaelis advised him to go to bed but Wilson refused, saying that he’d miss a lot of business if he did.

While his neighbor was trying to persuade him a violent racket broke out overhead.
“我把我的妻子关在那上面,”威尔逊平静地解释道。

“I’ve got my wife locked in up there,” explained Wilson calmly.
请注意:以上为AI生成文本,仅供参考,仍需以人工翻译为准。

“She’s going to stay there till the day after tomorrow and then we’re going to move away.”
“她会待在那里直到后天,然后我们就会搬走。”

Michaelis was astonished;
迈克利斯感到惊讶; —

they had been neighbors for four years and Wilson had never seemed faintly capable of such a statement.
他们做邻居已经四年了,威尔逊从未表现出有这样的可能性。通常, —

Generally he was one of these worn-out men:
他是那种疲惫不堪的人: —

when he wasn’t working he sat on a chair in the doorway and stared at the people and the cars that passed along the road.
当他不工作时,他坐在门口的椅子上看着经过道路的人和车辆。当有人和他说话时, —

When any one spoke to him he invariably laughed in an agreeable, colorless way. He was his wife’s man and not his own.
他总是以一种可接受的、无色的笑声回应。他是他妻子的人,而不是他自己的人。

So naturally Michaelis tried to find out what had happened, but Wilson wouldn’t say a word–instead he began to throw curious, suspicious glances at his visitor and ask him what he’d been doing at certain times on certain days.
所以自然而然,迈克利斯试图弄清楚发生了什么,但威尔逊一句话也不说–相反,他开始对他的访客投以怀疑的、可疑的目光,并询问他在某些时间的某些日子里做了什么。 —

Just as the latter was getting uneasy some workmen came past the door bound for his restaurant and Michaelis took the opportunity to get away, intending to come back later. But he didn’t.
当后者感到不安时,一些工人经过他餐馆的门,迈克利斯趁机离开,打算稍后回来。但他没有回来。

He supposed he forgot to, that’s all.
他想他可能忘了,就这样。 —

When he came outside again a little after seven he was reminded of the conversation because he heard Mrs. Wilson’s voice, loud and scolding, downstairs in the garage.
当他在晚上七点过后再次出去时,他因为听到威尔逊太太的声音,楼下车库里的高声责骂而想起了那次谈话。

“Beat me!” he heard her cry.
“打我!”他听到她喊道。 —

“Throw me down and beat me, you dirty little coward!”
“把我打倒,你这个卑鄙小懦夫!”

A moment later she rushed out into the dusk, waving her hands and shouting;
片刻之后,她冲到了暮色中,挥舞着双手大喊; —

before he could move from his door the business was over.
在他来得及从门口走出去之前,一切都结束了。

The “death car” as the newspapers called it, didn’t stop;
正如报纸所称的“死亡车”一样, —

it came out of the gathering darkness, wavered tragically for a moment and then disappeared around the next bend.
它没有停下来;它从陷入黑暗中出来,摇摆了一会儿,然后在下一个弯道处消失了。 —

Michaelis wasn’t even sure of its color–he told the first policeman that it was light green.
迈克利斯甚至都不确定它的颜色–他告诉第一个警察它是浅绿色的。 —

The other car, the one going toward New York, came to rest a hundred yards beyond, and its driver hurried back to where Myrtle Wilson, her life violently extinguished, knelt in the road and mingled her thick, dark blood with the dust.
另一辆车,那辆开往纽约的车,在一百码外停下来,司机急忙返回,在路上跪着,她的生命被猛烈熄灭,她的浓密黑血与尘土混合在一起。

Michaelis and this man reached her first but when they had torn open her shirtwaist still damp with perspiration, they saw that her left breast was swinging loose like a flap and there was no need to listen for the heart beneath.
迈克利斯和这个男人第一个走到她身边,但是当他们撕开她的汗水湿漉漉的衬衣时,他们看到她的左胸像个翻过来的袋盖一样晃动着,再也不需要寻找那胸腔下的心脏了。 —

The mouth was wide open and ripped at the corners as though she had choked a little in giving up the tremendous vitality she had stored so long.
她的嘴大张着,角落被撕裂,仿佛她在放弃她长时间积蓄的巨大生命力时有些窒息。

We saw the three or four automobiles and the crowd when we were still some distance away.
我们离得还有一段距离时就看见了三、四辆汽车和人群。

“Wreck!” said Tom. “That’s good.
“撞车!”汤姆说。“这下好了。 —

Wilson’ll have a little business at last.”
威尔逊终于有点生意了。”

He slowed down, but still without any intention of stopping until, as we came nearer, the hushed intent faces of the people at the garage door made him automatically put on the brakes.
他减速了,但还是没有打算停下来,直到我们越来越近,车库门口人们认真而肃穆的脸让他不由自主地踩下刹车。

“We’ll take a look,” he said doubtfully, “just a look.”
“我们去看看,”他犹豫地说道,“只是看看。”

I became aware now of a hollow, wailing sound which issued incessantly from the garage, a sound which as we got out of the coupé and walked toward the door resolved itself into the words “Oh, my God!” uttered over and over in a gasping moan.
当我们走出轿车朝门口走去时,我现在意识到车库里不停地发出一声低沉而悲鸣的声音,声音在我们脱离轿车后变成了一遍又一遍喘息的呻吟,说着“哦,我的上帝!”。

“There’s some bad trouble here,” said Tom excitedly.
汤姆兴奋地说:“这里出了些大麻烦。”

He reached up on tiptoes and peered over a circle of heads into the garage which was lit only by a yellow light in a swinging wire basket overhead.
他抬起脚尖,越过一圈人头向上望去,通过门口吊着的一个黄色灯笼的摇摆预示着车库的黄光。然后, —

Then he made a harsh sound in his throat and with a violent thrusting movement of his powerful arms pushed his way through.
他在喉咙里发出一声刺耳的声音,并用他有力的手臂猛烈地推开了前方的人群。

The circle closed up again with a running murmur of expostulation;
人群重新闭合,伴随着一阵低声的抗议嘟嘟声, —

it was a minute before I could see anything at all.
我在一切都变得清晰之前,一开始什么都看不到。 —

Then new arrivals disarranged the line and Jordan and I were pushed suddenly inside.
然后新来的人打乱了队列,乔丹和我突然被推进了里面。

Myrtle Wilson’s body wrapped in a blanket and then in another blanket as though she suffered from a chill in the hot night lay on a work table by the wall and Tom, with his back to us, was bending over it, motionless.
迈尔特尔·威尔逊的尸体用一条毯子裹着,然后又用另一条毯子裹着,就好像她在炎热的夜晚受了寒战一样,她躺在墙边的一个工作桌上,而汤姆, —

Next to him stood a motorcycle policeman taking down names with much sweat and correction in a little book.
背向我们,弯下腰,一动不动。站在他旁边的是一个骑摩托车的警察, —

At first I couldn’t find the source of the high, groaning words that echoed clamorously through the bare garage–then I saw Wilson standing on the raised threshold of his office, swaying back and forth and holding to the doorposts with both hands.
用一本小书上写下了姓名,手上满是汗水和改正。起初我找不到这些空荡荡的车库里那些高亢的呻吟声的来源–然后我看到威尔逊站在办公室的门槛上。他双手紧紧抓住门柱,来回摇晃。 —

Some man was talking to him in a low voice and attempting from time to time to lay a hand on his shoulder, but Wilson neither heard nor saw.
有个男人用低声说话,时不时地试图把手搭在他肩上,但威尔逊既没有听到也没有看见。 —

His eyes would drop slowly from the swinging light to the laden table by the wall and then jerk back to the light again and he gave out incessantly his high horrible call.
他的目光缓缓从摇晃的灯光滑向墙边的桌子上的负重,然后又猛地回到灯光上,他不停地发出他那高昂可怕的呼唤声。

“O, my Ga-od! O, my Ga-od! Oh, Ga-od! Oh, my Ga-od!”
“哦,我的天哪!哦,我的天哪!哦,上帝!哦,我的天哪!”

Presently Tom lifted his head with a jerk and after staring around the garage with glazed eyes addressed a mumbled incoherent remark to the policeman.
汤姆突然抬起头,眼睛呆滞地环顾了车库一圈,对着警察喃喃地说了一句话。

“M-a-v–” the policeman was saying, “–o—-”
“擦掉–”警察说道,“–推–”

“No,–r–” corrected the man, “M-a-v-r-o—-”
“不,不是–”那个人纠正道,“擦开–”

“Listen to me!” muttered Tom fiercely.
汤姆愤怒地嘀咕着说。

“r–” said the policeman, “o—-”
“推–”警察说道,“开–”

“g—-”
“走–”

“g–” He looked up as Tom’s broad hand fell sharply on his shoulder.
当汤姆的宽厚的手重重地落在他肩上时,他抬起头来。

“What you want, fella?”
“你要什么,伙计?”

“What happened–that’s what I want to know!”
“发生了什么事–我想知道!”

“Auto hit her. Ins’antly killed.”
“车撞到她身上。当场就被撞死。”

“Instantly killed,” repeated Tom, staring.
“当场被撞死。”汤姆重复道,眼神呆滞。

“She ran out ina road. Son-of-a-bitch didn’t even stopus car.”
“她跑到路上。个混蛋他妈的汽车连停都没有停。”

“There was two cars,” said Michaelis, “one comin’, one goin’, see?”
“有两辆车,”迈克利斯说,“一辆过来,一辆过去,你明白吗?”

“Going where?” asked the policeman keenly.
“去哪儿?”警察敏锐地问道。

“One goin’ each way. Well, she–” His hand rose toward the blankets but stopped half way and fell to his side, “–she ran out there an’ the one comin’ from N’York knock right into her goin’ thirty or forty miles an hour.”
“从纽约来的那辆车以三四十英里的速度撞进她身上。”他的手指向毯子,但停在半空,然后垂落在身旁,“她–跑到那儿,那辆从纽约来的车正好撞上她,以三四十英里的速度。”

“What’s the name of this place here?” demanded the officer.
“这地方叫什么名字?”警察要求道。

“Hasn’t got any name.”
“没有名字。”

A pale, well-dressed Negro stepped near.
一位苍白、衣着考究的黑人走近。

“It was a yellow car,” he said, “big yellow car. New.”
“他说,是一辆黄色的车,大黄色的车。新的。”

“See the accident?” asked the policeman.
“看到事故了吗?”警察问。

“No, but the car passed me down the road, going faster’n forty. Going fifty, sixty.”
“没有,但车在我身边超过我,开得比四十还快。开得有五十,六十。”

“Come here and let’s have your name.
“过来,告诉我你的名字。小心点。 —

Look out now. I want to get his name.”
我要知道他的名字。”

Some words of this conversation must have reached Wilson swaying in the office door, for suddenly a new theme found voice among his gasping cries.
这段对话的一些话一定传到了站在办公室门口摇晃的威尔逊耳中,因为他喘着气突然又有了新的话题。

“You don’t have to tell me what kind of car it was!
“你不必告诉我是什么车! —

I know what kind of car it was!”
我知道是什么车!”

Watching Tom I saw the wad of muscle back of his shoulder tighten under his coat.
我看着汤姆,看到他肩膀后面的肌肉一丛突然绷紧。 —

He walked quickly over to Wilson and standing in front of him seized him firmly by the upper arms.
他迅速走到威尔逊面前,站在他面前,紧紧抓住他的上臂。

“You’ve got to pull yourself together,” he said with soothing gruffness.
“你得振作起来,”他用宽慰的嗓音说。

Wilson’s eyes fell upon Tom;
威尔逊的眼睛看着汤姆, —

he started up on his tiptoes and then would have collapsed to his knees had not Tom held him upright.
他的脚尖点了点,然后要是不是被汤姆扶住,他现在就要跪倒在地上。

“Listen,” said Tom, shaking him a little.
“听着,”汤姆摇晃着他说。 —

“I just got here a minute ago, from New York. I was bringing you that coupé we’ve been talking about.
“我刚刚一分钟前从纽约过来,我给你带来了我们一直谈论的那辆轿车。

That yellow car I was driving this afternoon wasn’t mine, do you hear? I haven’t seen it all afternoon.”
我今天下午开的那辆黄色车不是我的,你听到了吗?我整个下午都没见到它。”

Only the Negro and I were near enough to hear what he said but the policeman caught something in the tone and looked over with truculent eyes.
只有我和那个黑人足够近听到他说的话,但警察从语气中听出了一些,瞪着战斗的眼睛看了过来。

“What’s all that?” he demanded.
“那都是怎么回事?”他要求道。

“I’m a friend of his.” Tom turned his head but kept his hands firm on Wilson’s body.
“我是他的朋友。”汤姆转过头,但双手还是紧紧抓住威尔逊。 —

“He says he knows the car that did it.
“他说他认识撞人的那辆车……是一辆黄色的车。 —

… It was a yellow car.”

Some dim impulse moved the policeman to look suspiciously at Tom.
一种模糊的冲动让警察怀疑地看着汤姆。

“And what color’s your car?”
“那你的车是什么颜色的?”

“It’s a blue car, a coupé.”
“是一辆蓝色的车,一辆轿车。”

“We’ve come straight from New York,” I said.
“我们刚从纽约过来。”我说。

Some one who had been driving a little behind us confirmed this and the policeman turned away.
跟在我们后面的有个人证实了这一点,警察转身离开。

“Now, if you’ll let me have that name again correct—-”
“现在,如果你能再给我一遍正确的名字——”

Picking up Wilson like a doll Tom carried him into the office, set him down in a chair and came back.
汤姆像玩偶一样抱起威尔逊,把他带进办公室,放在椅子上,然后回来了。

“If somebody’ll come here and sit with him!” he snapped authoritatively.
“有人过来陪着他坐这里!” 他傲慢地吩咐道。 —

He watched while the two men standing closest glanced at each other and went unwillingly into the room.
我看着站得最近的两个人相互看了看,不情愿地走进了房间。然后汤姆关上了门, —

Then Tom shut the door on them and came down the single step, his eyes avoiding the table.
走下了那唯一的台阶,他的眼睛避开了桌子。当他走近我时, —

As he passed close to me he whispered “Let’s get out.”
他低声说道:”我们离开吧。”

Self consciously, with his authoritative arms breaking the way, we pushed through the still gathering crowd, passing a hurried doctor, case in hand, who had been sent for in wild hope half an hour ago.
我们自觉地推开还在聚集的人群,汤姆用他有权威的手臂打开道路,我们穿过匆匆赶来的医生身边,他手里拿着箱子,半小时前被派出去催促。

Tom drove slowly until we were beyond the bend–then his foot came down hard and the coupé raced along through the night.
汤姆开得很慢,直到我们绕过弯道之后,他狠狠地踩下油门,敞篷车在黑夜中飞驰。不一会儿, —

In a little while I heard a low husky sob and saw that the tears were overflowing down his face.
我听到他低沉而嘶哑的抽泣声,看到泪水从他的脸上溢出来。

“The God Damn coward!” he whimpered.
“这个该死的懦夫!”他呜咽道。” —

“He didn’t even stop his car.”
他甚至没有停下他的车。”

The Buchanans’ house floated suddenly toward us through the dark rustling trees.
“布坎南夫妇的家突然在黑暗的树丛中飘向我们。 —

Tom stopped beside the porch and looked up at the second floor where two windows bloomed with light among the vines.
汤姆停在门廊旁,抬头望着长满藤蔓的二楼。

“Daisy’s home,” he said. As we got out of the car he glanced at me and frowned slightly.
“黛西在家。”他说。当我们下车时,他瞥了我一眼,微微皱了皱眉头。

“I ought to have dropped you in West Egg, Nick. There’s nothing we can do tonight.”
“我本应该把你送到西蛋的,尼克。今晚我们无能为力。”

A change had come over him and he spoke gravely, and with decision.
他的情绪发生了变化,严肃而果断地说道。

As we walked across the moonlight gravel to the porch he disposed of the situation in a few brisk phrases.
当我们穿过月光照耀的石子路走向门廊时,他用简洁的措辞解释了情况。

“I’ll telephone for a taxi to take you home, and while you’re waiting you and Jordan better go in the kitchen and have them get you some supper–if you want any.” He opened the door. “Come in.”
“我会打电话叫一辆出租车送你回家,你和乔丹最好去厨房吃点晚饭——如果你想吃的话。”他打开了门。” 进来吧。”

“No thanks. But I’d be glad if you’d order me the taxi.
“不用了。但如果你能给我叫一辆出租车就好了。 —

I’ll wait outside.”
我会在外面等着。”

Jordan put her hand on my arm.
乔丹用手搭在我胳膊上。

“Won’t you come in, Nick?”
“你不进来吗,尼克?”

“No thanks.”
“不用了,谢谢。”

I was feeling a little sick and I wanted to be alone.
我有点恶心,想独处一会儿。 —

But Jordan lingered for a moment more.
但乔丹还逗留了片刻。

“It’s only half past nine,” she said.
“才九点半呢。”她说。

I’d be damned if I’d go in;
我才不愿意进去呢, —

I’d had enough of all of them for one day and suddenly that included Jordan too.
我对他们所有人都已经够了,突然连乔丹也包括在内。 —

She must have seen something of this in my expression for she turned abruptly away and ran up the porch steps into the house.
她一定看出了我的表情中有些东西,因为她突然转身跑上门廊的台阶,进了屋子。 —

I sat down for a few minutes with my head in my hands, until I heard the phone taken up inside and the butler’s voice calling a taxi.
我坐了几分钟,低着头,直到听到里面的电话被摘起,管家的声音叫出租车之后。 —

Then I walked slowly down the drive away from the house intending to wait by the gate.
然后我慢慢地沿着车道走开,离开了这座房子,打算在门口等待。

I hadn’t gone twenty yards when I heard my name and Gatsby stepped from between two bushes into the path.
当我走了二十码之后,我听到我的名字,盖茨比从两棵灌木丛中走出来,走上小径。 —

I must have felt pretty weird by that time because I could think of nothing except the luminosity of his pink suit under the moon.
那时候我一定感到非常奇怪,因为我除了在月光下他那粉红色西服的辉映之外,什么都想不起来。

“What are you doing?” I inquired.
“你在做什么?”我问道。

“Just standing here, old sport.”
“就站在这里,老兄。”

Somehow, that seemed a despicable occupation.
不知怎的,那个人的活动似乎令人厌恶。 —

For all I knew he was going to rob the house in a moment;
我觉得他可能随时会入室行窃; —

I wouldn’t have been surprised to see sinister faces, the faces of “Wolfshiem’s people,” behind him in the dark shrubbery.
如果在黑暗的灌木丛中突然冒出一张“沃尔夫沙姆一伙”的面孔,我一点都不会感到惊讶。

“Did you see any trouble on the road?” he asked after a minute.
“你在路上看到了什么麻烦吗?”过了一会儿他问道。

“Yes.”
“有。”

He hesitated.
他犹豫了一下。

“Was she killed?”
“她死了吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“I thought so; I told Daisy I thought so.
“我就知道;我对黛西说过我觉得是这样。 —

It’s better that the shock should all come at once.
一股强烈的冲击一次性全部涌上来,这反而更好。 —

She stood it pretty well.”
她勉强挺过来了。”

He spoke as if Daisy’s reaction was the only thing that mattered.
他说得好像黛西的反应是唯一重要的事情。

“I got to West Egg by a side road,” he went on, “and left the car in my garage.
“我通过一条小路到达西蛋,把车停在了车库里。 —

I don’t think anybody saw us but of course I can’t be sure.”
我觉得没人看见,但当然我不能确定。”

I disliked him so much by this time that I didn’t find it necessary to tell him he was wrong.
到这个时候我对他非常反感,所以我觉得没必要告诉他他错了。

“Who was the woman?” he inquired.
“那个女人是谁?”他问道。

“Her name was Wilson. Her husband owns the garage.
“她叫威尔逊。她丈夫拥有那个车库。 —

How the devil did it happen?”
到底是怎么发生的?”

“Well, I tried to swing the wheel—-” He broke off, and suddenly I guessed at the truth.
“好吧,我试图扭动方向盘——”他突然停住了,我立刻猜到了真相。

“Was Daisy driving?”
“黛西在开车吗?”

“Yes,” he said after a moment, “but of course I’ll say I was. You see, when we left New York she was very nervous and she thought it would steady her to drive–and this woman rushed out at us just as we were passing a car coming the other way.
“是的。”他过了一会儿说,“但当然我会说是我在开车。你看,我们离开纽约的时候,她非常紧张,她觉得开车能使她稳定下来——这个女人突然冲出来,正好我们在超过另一辆车的时候。 —

It all happened in a minute but it seemed to me that she wanted to speak to us, thought we were somebody she knew. Well, first Daisy turned away from the woman toward the other car, and then she lost her nerve and turned back.
一切发生得很快,但在我看来,她好像想跟我们说话,以为我们是她认识的人。嗯,首先黛西转身面向另一辆车,然后她丧失了勇气又转回来。 —

The second my hand reached the wheel I felt the shock–it must have killed her instantly.”
我的手一触碰方向盘,我就感到了冲击——肯定是当场把她撞死了。”

“It ripped her open—-”
“撞开了她的腹部——”

“Don’t tell me, old sport.” He winced.
“别告诉我了,老兄。”他皱了皱眉。 —

“Anyhow–Daisy stepped on it.
“不管怎样,黛西加速了。”

I tried to make her stop, but she couldn’t so I pulled on the emergency brake.
我试图让她停下来,但她做不到,所以我拉动了紧急刹车。 —

Then she fell over into my lap and I drove on.
然后她倒在了我腿上,我继续开着车。

“She’ll be all right tomorrow,” he said presently.
“她明天会好的,”他过了一会儿说。 —

“I’m just going to wait here and see if he tries to bother her about that unpleasantness this afternoon.
“我就在这里等着,看他是不是会因为今天下午的那件不愉快的事情来骚扰她。 —

She’s locked herself into her room and if he tries any brutality she’s going to turn the light out and on again.”
她把自己锁在房间里,如果他试图对她动粗,她会把灯关掉再打开。”

“He won’t touch her,” I said. “He’s not thinking about her.”
“他不会碰她,”我说。”他没有想她。”

“I don’t trust him, old sport.”
“我不信任他,老兄。”

“How long are you going to wait?”
“你打算等多久?”

“All night if necessary. Anyhow till they all go to bed.”
“如果有必要就等到他们都上床睡觉。”

A new point of view occurred to me.
我突然有了一个新的想法。 —

Suppose Tom found out that Daisy had been driving.
假设汤姆发现黛西一直在开车。 —

He might think he saw a connection in it–he might think anything.
他可能会认为这有关联–他可能会认为什么都有可能。 —

I looked at the house: there were two or three bright windows downstairs and the pink glow from Daisy’s room on the second floor.
我看着房子:楼下有两三个明亮的窗户,二楼是黛西房间的粉红色光芒。

“You wait here,” I said. “I’ll see if there’s any sign of a commotion.”
“你在这里等着,”我说。”我去看看是否有骚动的迹象。”

I walked back along the border of the lawn, traversed the gravel softly and tiptoed up the veranda steps.
我沿着草坪边界走回去,悄悄地踩着碎石,踮着脚上了门廊的台阶。 —

The drawing-room curtains were open, and I saw that the room was empty.
客厅的窗帘打开着,我看到房间是空的。 —

Crossing the porch where we had dined that June night three months before I came to a small rectangle of light which I guessed was the pantry window.
穿过我们三个月前在六月晚上共进晚餐的门廊,我来到一个小小的矩形光亮,我猜想那是餐具室的窗户。帘子拉着, —

The blind was drawn but I found a rift at the sill.
但我在窗台上找到了一道缝隙。

Daisy and Tom were sitting opposite each other at the kitchen table with a plate of cold fried chicken between them and two bottles of ale.
黛西和汤姆正对坐在厨房的桌子旁,中间放着一盘冷炸鸡和两瓶啤酒。他专注地对着她说话, —

He was talking intently across the table at her and in his earnestness his hand had fallen upon and covered her own.
他热衷的话语中,他的手已经落在并覆盖住了她的手。 —

Once in a while she looked up at him and nodded in agreement.
她偶尔抬起头来对他点头表示赞同。

They weren’t happy, and neither of them had touched the chicken or the ale–and yet they weren’t unhappy either.
他们并不幸福,两个人都没有动过鸡肉和啤酒–但他们也并不不幸。 —

There was an unmistakable air of natural intimacy about the picture and anybody would have said that they were conspiring together.
这张照片散发着一种不可否认的自然亲密感,任何人都会说他们在密谋着什么。

As I tiptoed from the porch I heard my taxi feeling its way along the dark road toward the house.
当我从门廊上踮步走开时,我听到我的出租车在黑暗的道路上摸索着靠近房子。 —

Gatsby was waiting where I had left him in the drive.
我把盖茨比留在了我把他停下的车道上等待。

“Is it all quiet up there?” he asked anxiously.
“楼上还安静吗?”他焦虑地问道。

“Yes, it’s all quiet.” I hesitated.
“是的,都很安静”我迟疑了一下。 —

“You’d better come home and get some sleep.”
“你最好回家睡一会儿。”

He shook his head.
他摇了摇头。

“I want to wait here till Daisy goes to bed.
“我想等到黛西上床睡觉。 —

Good night, old sport.”
晚安,老兄。”

He put his hands in his coat pockets and turned back eagerly to his scrutiny of the house, as though my presence marred the sacredness of the vigil.
他把手放在外套口袋里,急切地转身盯着房子,仿佛我的存在玷污了这个守夜的神圣。 —

So I walked away and left him standing there in the moonlight–watching over nothing.
于是我走开,把他留在那里,站在月光下守望着虚无。


——–


——–

请注意: 我们只能翻译完整的句子,而不是单个的关键词。所以原文中的格式、标点和tag都会保留在译文之中。


——–

$$1, $$2, $$3, $$4, $$5, $$6, $$7, $$8, $$9, $$10, $$11, $$12, $$13, $$14, $$15,——– $$16, $$17, $$18, $$19, $$20,

“g——”
“g——”