It was nearly six o’clock, but only grey imperfect misty dawn, when we drew nigh the wharf.
接近六点了,但只有灰蒙蒙、不完美的朦胧黎明,我们抵达了码头附近。

“There are some sailors running ahead there, if I see right,” said I to Queequeg, “it can’t be shadows; —
“我看那边好像有些船员在跑,“我对夸西格说, “不能是影子; —

she’s off by sunrise, I guess; come on!”
她应该在日出前启航,我猜;走吧!”

“Avast!” cried a voice, whose owner at the same time coming close behind us, laid a hand upon both our shoulders, and then insinuating himself between us, stood stooping forward a little, in the uncertain twilight, strangely peering from Queequeg to me. It was Elijah.
“停!“一个声音喊道,同时声音的主人从我们身后走近,一只手搭在我们俩的肩上,然后挤进我们之间,略微俯身,在不确定的黎明中,奇怪地从克威格到我那儿盯着。那是以利亚。

“Going aboard?”
“要上船吗?”

“Hands off, will you,” said I.
“拜托,你给我放开,“我说。

“Lookee here,” said Queequeg, shaking himself, “go ‘way!”
“听着,“克威格摇摇头说, “滚开!”

“Aint going aboard, then?”
“不是上船了吗?”

“Yes, we are,” said I, “but what business is that of yours? —
“是的,我们要上,“我说,“但这关你什么事? —

Do you know, Mr. Elijah, that I consider you a little impertinent?”
艾利亚先生,你知道我觉得你有点无礼吗?”

“No, no, no; I wasn’t aware of that,” said Elijah, slowly and wonderingly looking from me to Queequeg, with the most unaccountable glances.
“不,不,不;我不知道,”以利亚慢吞吞地看了看我和克威格,一脸疑惑的表情。

“Elijah,” said I, “you will oblige my friend and me by withdrawing. —
“以利亚,“我说, “你请我们和平退下。 —

We are going to the Indian and Pacific Oceans, and would prefer not to be detained.”
我们要去印度洋和太平洋,宁愿不被耽搁。”

“Ye be, be ye? Coming back afore breakfast?”
“是吗? 早饭前就回来了?”

“He’s cracked, Queequeg,” said I, “come on.”
“他疯了,克威格,“我说, “走吧.”

“Holloa!” cried stationary Elijah, hailing us when we had removed a few paces.
“喂!”站在原地的以利亚喊道,当我们走开几步时。

“Never mind him,” said I, “Queequeg, come on.”
“别理他,”我说,“齐格,走吧。”

But he stole up to us again, and suddenly clapping his hand on my shoulder, said–“Did ye see anything looking like men going towards that ship a while ago?”
但他又走到我们跟前,突然拍了拍我的肩膀,说,“你们看见刚才有没有人朝那艘船走去?”

Struck by this plain matter-of-fact question, I answered, saying, “Yes, I thought I did see four or five men; —
被这个直截了当的问题打动,我回答说,“是的,我觉得我看见了四五个人; —

but it was too dim to be sure.”
但光线太暗,看不太清楚。”

“Very dim, very dim,” said Elijah. “Morning to ye.”
“很暗,很暗,”以利亚说,“早上好。”

Once more we quitted him; but once more he came softly after us; —
我们再次离开他;但他又悄悄跟随我们; —

and touching my shoulder again, said, “See if you can find ‘em now, will ye?
并再次触摸我的肩膀,说:“看看现在能找到他们吗,你能吗?

“Find who?”
“找谁?”

“Morning to ye! morning to ye!” he rejoined, again moving off. “Oh! —
“早上好!早上好!”他回答道,再次走开。“哦! —

I was going to warn ye against–but never mind, never mind– it’s all one, all in the family too; —
我本来要警告你们的–但不要紧,不要紧–都是一家人; —

–sharp frost this morning, ain’t it? Good-bye to ye. Shan’t see ye again very soon, I guess; —
–今天早上的霜冻很厉害,是吧?再见了。不久之后才会再见到你们了,我猜; —

unless it’s before the Grand Jury.” And with these cracked words he finally departed, leaving me, for the moment, in no small wonderment at his frantic impudence.
除非在大陪审团之前。“他用这些疯狂的话最终离开了,让我感到非常惊讶。

At last, stepping on board the Pequod, we found everything in profound quiet, not a soul moving. —
最后,登上佩奎德号,我们发现一切都异常安静,没有一个人在动。 —

The cabin entrance was locked within; the hatches were all on, and lumbered with coils of rigging. —
船舱的入口被锁住了,舱盖都紧闭着,上面堆满了绳索。 —

Going forward to the forecastle, we found the slide of the scuttle open. —
往前走到船头甲板,我们发现敞盖门打开了。 —

Seeing a light, we went down, and found only an old rigger there, wrapped in a tattered pea-jacket. —
看到有灯光,我们走下去,只发现那里有一个身穿破旧羊毛夹克的老水手。 —

He was thrown at whole length upon two chests, his face downwards and inclosed in his folded arms. —
他伏在两个箱子上,脸朝下,双臂交叠着。 —

The profoundest slumber slept upon him.
他陷入了沉睡之中。

“Those sailors we saw, Queequeg, where can they have gone to?” —
“我们看到的那些水手,基里齐格,他们会去哪里呢?”我疑惑地看着睡着的人说道。 —

said I, looking dubiously at the sleeper. —
我翻譯前面内容了。 —

But it seemed that, when on the wharf, Queequeg had not at all noticed what I now alluded to; —
但看起来,在码头上,显然奎科格并没有注意到我现在提到的这件事; —

hence I would have thought myself to have been optically deceived in that matter, were it not for Elijah’s otherwise inexplicable question. —
因此,如果不是因为以理亚提出的另外难以解释的问题,我会觉得自己在那件事上视觉上受到了欺骗。 —

But I beat the thing down; and again marking the sleeper, jocularly hinted to Queequeg that perhaps we had best sit up with the body; —
但我打消了这个想法;再次注意到那个睡者,开玩笑地暗示奎科格也许最好和尸体一起坐起来; —

telling him to establish himself accordingly. —
告诉他要相应地安顿下来。 —

He put his hand upon the sleeper’s rear, as though feeling if it was soft enough; —
他把手放在睡者的后背上,好像在摸摸它软不软; —

and then, without more ado, sat quietly down there.
然后,毫不犹豫地坐在那里。

“Gracious! Queequeg, don’t sit there,” said I.
“天哪!奎科格,别坐在那里,”我说。

“Oh; perry dood seat,” said Queequeg, “my country way; won’t hurt him face.”
“哦,挺舒服的座位,”奎科格说,“我国家的方法;不会伤害他的脸。”

“Face!” said I, “call that his face? very benevolent countenance then; —
“脸!”我说,“把那个当作他的脸?那么一副仁慈的面容; —

but how hard he breathes, he’s heaving himself; —
但是他喘得多么厉害,他在挣扎; —

get off, Queequeg, you are heavy, it’s grinding the face of the poor. —
走开,奎科格,你太重了,你快把可怜人的脸搓烂了。 —

Get off, Queequeg! Look, he’ll twitch you off soon. —
走开,奎科格!看,他很快就会把你甩开。 —

I wonder he don’t wake.”
我想他为什么不醒来。”

Queequeg removed himself to just beyond the head of the sleeper, and lighted his tomahawk pipe. —
奎科格把自己移动到睡者的头部之外,并点燃了他的战斧烟斗。 —

I sat at the feet. We kept the pipe passing over the sleeper, from one to the other. —
我坐在脚边。我们把烟斗在睡者之间传递。 —

Meanwhile, upon questioning him in his broken fashion, Queequeg gave me to understand that, in his land, owing to the absence of settees and sofas of all sorts, the king, chiefs, and great people generally, were in the custom of fattening some of the lower orders for ottomans; —
与此同时,在我费尽口舌地询问之后,快捷克告诉我,在他的国家里,由于缺乏各种沙发和躺椅,国王、酋长和众多大人物通常习惯把一些下等人养肥作为脚凳; —

and to furnish a house comfortably in that respect, you had only to buy up eight or ten lazy fellows, and lay them round in the piers and alcoves. —
要想在这方面舒适地装饰一间房子,你只需要买来八到十个懒汉,将他们放置在柱子和凹槽周围; —

Besides, it was very convenient on an excursion; —
此外,在远行时会非常方便; —

much better than those garden-chairs which are convertible into walking sticks; —
比那些可以转换成拐杖的花园椅要好得多; —

upon occasion, a chief calling his attendant, and desiring him to make a settee of himself under a spreading tree, perhaps in some damp marshy place.
有时候,一个首领会召唤他的随从,让他在一颗大树下变成一张躺椅,也许是在某个潮湿的沼泽地里;

While narrating these things, every time Queequeg received the tomahawk from me, he flourished the hatchet-side of it over the sleeper’s head.
念到这些事情的时候,每当快捷克从我这里接过战斧,他总会把它在睡者头顶上摆动;

“What’s that for, Queequeg?”
“快捷克,这是为什么?”;

“Perry easy, kill-e; oh! perry easy!
“简单,轻而易举地杀死他;噢!轻而易举地!”;

He was going on with some wild reminiscences about his tomahawk-pipe which, it seemed, had in its two uses both brained his foes and soothed his soul, when we were directly attracted to the sleeping rigger. —
当他正要继续述说一些关于他的战斧烟斗的疯狂回忆,看起来,这件物品既曾砍晕他的敌人又曾安抚他的灵魂,我们直接被那位沉睡的顶篷工的动静吸引了过去; —

The strong vapor now completely filling the contracted hole, it began to tell upon him. —
强烈的蒸汽现在已经完全充斥着狭窄的空间,开始对他产生影响; —

He breathed with a sort of muffledness; then seemed troubled in the nose; —
他呼吸有些沉闷;然后鼻子似乎感到不适; —

then revolved over once or twice; then sat up and rubbed his eyes.
然后,他翻了个身,坐起来揉了揉眼睛;

“Holloa!” he breathed at last, “who be ye smokers?”
“嘿!”他最后喘息道,“你们这些抽烟的家伙是谁?”;

“Shipped men,” answered I, “when does she sail?”
“水手们,”我回答,“她什么时候启航?”;

“Aye, aye, ye are going in her, be ye? She sails to-day. The Captain came aboard last night.”
“好的,你们是要上她的吧?今天启航。船长昨晚上船了。”。

“What Captain?–Ahab?”
“什么船长?–阿哈伯?”

“Who but him indeed?”
“除了他谁?”

I was going to ask him some further questions concerning Ahab, when we heard a noise on deck.
我本想问一些关于阿哈伯的问题,当时我们听到甲板上传来一阵噪音。

“Holloa! Starbuck’s astir,” said the rigger. “He’s a lively chief mate that; good man, and a pious; —
“喂!斯塔巴克醒了,”绳索工说。“他是个活跃的大副;好人,又虔诚; —

but all alive now, I must turn to.” And so saying he went on deck, and we followed.
但现在大家都活跃起来了,我得出去忙了。”说着,他就上了甲板,我们跟着上去。

It was now clear sunrise. Soon the crew came on board in twos and threes; —
此时已是明晨。很快船员们两三个一组上了船; —

the riggers bestirred themselves; the mates were actively engaged; —
绳索工们开始忙碌起来;大副们也忙碌着; —

and several of the shore people were busy in bringing various last things on board. —
岸上的几个人正忙着把各种最后的东西送上船。 —

Meanwhile Captain Ahab remained invisibly enshrined within his cabin.
与此同时,阿哈伯船长仍然隐身于自己的舱室之中。