As soon as Pierre Gringoire had seen how this whole affair was turning, and that there would decidedly be the rope, hanging, and other disagreeable things for the principal personages in this comedy, he had not cared to identify himself with the matter further. —
一旦皮埃尔·格兰哥尔看到整个事情的发展方向,意识到主要人物将会被判绞刑等不愉快的事情,他就不再愿意继续参与这件事。 —

The outcasts with whom he had remained, reflecting that, after all, it was the best company in Paris,–the outcasts had continued to interest themselves in behalf of the gypsy. —
遭到放逐的人们一直在为那位吉普赛人辩护,他觉得这仍然是巴黎最好的伙伴。 —

He had thought it very simple on the part of people who had, like herself, nothing else in prospect but Charmolue and Torterue, and who, unlike himself, did not gallop through the regions of imagination between the wings of Pegasus. —
他觉得那些像吉普赛人一样只有面对着恺莫卢和托特顿,没有像他一样飞驰于天马翱翔的幻想之中的人,是很简单的。 —

From their remarks, he had learned that his wife of the broken crock had taken refuge in Notre-Dame, and he was very glad of it. —
他从他们的谈话中得知他那个用破碎罐子接水的妻子已经躲到了圣母院,这让他很高兴。 —

But he felt no temptation to go and see her there. —
但他毫无想去那里看她的诱惑。 —

He meditated occasionally on the little goat, and that was all. —
他偶尔考虑那只小山羊,只不过如此而已。 —

Moreover, he was busy executing feats of strength during the day for his living, and at night he was engaged in composing a memorial against the Bishop of Paris, for he remembered having been drenched by the wheels of his mills, and he cherished a grudge against him for it. —
此外,他白天忙碌于完成力量壮举来维持生计,夜晚则致力于起草一份反对巴黎主教的备忘录,因为他记得自己被他的磨坊的车轮溅湿过,对此他心怀怨恨。 —

He also occupied himself with annotating the fine work of Baudry-le- Rouge, Bishop of Noyon and Tournay, De Cupa Petrarum, which had given him a violent passion for architecture, an inclination which had replaced in his heart his passion for hermeticism, of which it was, moreover, only a natural corollary, since there is an intimate relation between hermeticism and masonry. —
他还忙着给诺瓦和图尔奈的主教包德里-鲁热的杰作《关于圆柱》作注释,这使得他对建筑产生了极大的热情,这种倾向已经取代了他对炼金术的激情,而且这只是一个自然的推论,因为炼金术与建筑之间存在着密切关系。 —

Gringoire had passed from the love of an idea to the love of the form of that idea.
格兰哥尔已经从对一个理念的热爱转变为对这个理念的形式的热爱。

One day he had halted near Saint Germain-l’Auxerrois, at the corner of a mansion called “For-l’Evêque ” (the Bishop’s Tribunal), which stood opposite another called “For-le-Roi” (the King’s Tribunal). —
一天,他停在圣日耳曼-罗萨瓦教堂附近,在一座名为”主教庭院”的宅邸角落,恰好对面是另一座叫做”国王庭院”的宅邸。 —

At this For-l’Evêque, there was a charming chapel of the fourteenth century, whose apse was on the street. —
在”主教庭院”中,有一座十四世纪迷人的小教堂,它的后殿与街道相接。 —

Gringoire was devoutly examining its exterior sculptures. —
格兰哥尔在虔诚地审视它的外部雕塑。 —

He was in one of those moments of egotistical, exclusive, supreme, enjoyment when the artist beholds nothing in the world but art, and the world in art. —
他处在那种独享艺术、自我沉醉、无与伦比的至高享受的时刻,艺术家只看到了艺术,而将世界看作是艺术。 —

All at once he feels a hand laid gravely on his shoulder. He turns round. —
突然,他感到一个严肃地放在自己肩膀上的手。他转过身去。 —

It was his old friend, his former master, monsieur the archdeacon.
这是他的老友,他的前导师,大堂宇宙先生。

He was stupefied. It was a long time since he had seen the archdeacon, and Dom Claude was one of those solemn and impassioned men, a meeting with whom always upsets the equilibrium of a sceptical philosopher.
他惊呆了。自从他见到总主教已经很久了,而克洛德主教是那种庄严而激情澎湃的人,与之相遇总是会打破怀疑哲学家的平衡。

The archdeacon maintained silence for several minutes, during which Gringoire had time to observe him. —
几分钟的沉默过后,总主教终于开口,格林哥尔有时间观察他。 —

He found Dom Claude greatly changed; pale as a winter’s morning, with hollow eyes, and hair almost white. —
格林哥尔发现克洛德主教变化很大;像冬日清晨一样苍白,眼睛空洞,头发几乎全白。 —

The priest broke the silence at length, by saying, in a tranquil but glacial tone,–
牧师最终打破了沉默,以一种平静但冷漠的口吻说道:-

“How do you do, Master Pierre?”
“您好,皮埃尔大师?”

“My health?” replied Gringoire. “Eh! eh! one can say both one thing and another on that score. —
“我的健康?” 格林哥尔答道:”恩!恩!关于这件事人们可以说来说去。 —

Still, it is good, on the whole. I take not too much of anything. —
“总的来说,还不错。我什么也不过量。 —

You know, master, that the secret of keeping well, according to Hippocrates; —
“您知道,大师,保持健康的秘诀,正如希波克拉底说的; —

~id est: cibi, potus, somni, venus, omnia moderata sint~.”
~即:饮食、饮水、睡眠、性事,皆宜适度~。”

“So you have no care, Master Pierre?” resumed the archdeacon, gazing intently at Gringoire.
“那么您现在没什么烦恼,皮埃尔大师?” 克洛德主教凝视着格林哥尔。

“None, i’ faith!”
“没有,真的没有!”

“And what are you doing now?”
“那您现在在做什么?”

“You see, master. I am examining the chiselling of these stones, and the manner in which yonder bas-relief is thrown out.”
“您看,大师。我正在检查这些石头的凿刻,以及远处的浮雕是如何凸显出来的。”

The priest began to smile with that bitter smile which raises only one corner of the mouth.
牧师开始带着那种令人刺痛的苦涩微笑,只扯了嘴角。

“And that amuses you?”
“这也能让您开心起来?”

”‘Tis paradise!” exclaimed Gringoire. And leaning over the sculptures with the fascinated air of a demonstrator of living phenomena: —
“天堂般美妙!”格兰哥瓦兴奋地说道。并且倚在雕塑上,带着一个演示活生生现象的着迷神态: —

“Do you not think, for instance, that yon metamorphosis in bas-relief is executed with much adroitness, delicacy and patience? —
“比如你不觉得那浮雕中的变形术被运用得非常灵巧、细腻和耐心吗? —

Observe that slender column. Around what capital have you seen foliage more tender and better caressed by the chisel. —
“看看那细长的柱子。你见过哪个柱顶上的叶脉被凿的更加娇嫩,更加被雕刻师细致呵护过? —

Here are three raised bosses of Jean Maillevin. They are not the finest works of this great master. —
“这里有三个由让·迈尔文完成的凸起镂雕。它们不是这位大师的最优秀作品。 —

Nevertheless, the naivete, the sweetness of the faces, the gayety of the attitudes and draperies, and that inexplicable charm which is mingled with all the defects, render the little figures very diverting and delicate, perchance, even too much so. —
“尽管如此,这些小雕像的天真、面容的甜美,态度和衣袍的欢快,还有一种无法解释的魅力,将所有的瑕疵融合在一起,使得这些小人物看起来十分有趣而精致,或许,甚至过于如此。 —

You think that it is not diverting?”
“你觉得这不有趣吗?”

“Yes, certainly!” said the priest.
“是的,当然有!”神父回答道。

“And if you were to see the interior of the chapel!” —
“而且如果你看到教堂内部!” —

resumed the poet, with his garrulous enthusiasm. “Carvings everywhere. —
诗人以他兴奋的口才继续说道。“无处不是雕刻之物。 —

‘Tis as thickly clustered as the head of a cabbage! —
“就像一颗卷心菜一样密密麻麻! —

The apse is of a very devout, and so peculiar a fashion that I have never beheld anything like it elsewhere!”
“后殿是非常虔诚的,并且如此独特的风格,以至于我以前从未见过其他地方会有那样的设计!”

Dom Claude interrupted him,–
克洛德教士打断了他,

“You are happy, then?”
“那你很幸福?”

Gringoire replied warmly;–
格兰哥瓦热情地回答道;

“On my honor, yes! First I loved women, then animals. Now I love stones. —
“我发誓,是的!起初我爱女人,然后是动物。现在我爱石头。 —

They are quite as amusing as women and animals, and less treacherous.”
他们和女人、动物一样有趣,但不那么狡诈。

The priest laid his hand on his brow. It was his habitual gesture.
牧师将手放在额上,这是他的习惯姿势。

“Really?”
“真的吗?”

“Stay!” said Gringoire, “one has one’s pleasures!” —
“等等!” 格林哥尔说,“人总有自己的乐趣!” —

He took the arm of the priest, who let him have his way, and made him enter the staircase turret of For-l’Evêque. —
他拉着牧师的胳膊,牧师让他去了他想去的方向,并让他进入福临主教大楼的楼梯塔。 —

“Here is a staircase! every time that I see it I am happy. —
“这里有一个楼梯!每次看到它我都感到高兴。 —

It is of the simplest and rarest manner of steps in Paris. All the steps are bevelled underneath. —
这是巴黎最简单和稀有的一种楼梯方式。所有的台阶下面都被倾斜。 —

Its beauty and simplicity consist in the interspacing of both, being a foot or more wide, which are interlaced, interlocked, fitted together, enchained enchased, interlined one upon another, and bite into each other in a manner that is truly firm and graceful.”
它的美丽和简单在于这两种间隔的方式,宽约一英尺或更多,它们交错、交织、配合着,相互锁紧,交缠在一起,以一种真正坚固而优雅的方式咬合。

“And you desire nothing?”
“你想要什么?”

“No.”
“不。”

“And you regret nothing?”
“你会后悔吗?”

“Neither regret nor desire. I have arranged my mode of life.”
“既不后悔也不渴望。我已经安排好了我的生活方式。”

“What men arrange,” said Claude, “things disarrange.”
“人安排的事情,事物打乱了。”

“I am a Pyrrhonian philosopher,” replied Gringoire, “and I hold all things in equilibrium.”
“我是一个庸人哲学家,” 格林哥尔回答说,”我保持一切平衡。”

“And how do you earn your living?”
“那你是怎么谋生的?”

“I still make epics and tragedies now and then; —
“我偶尔还会写一些史诗和悲剧; —

but that which brings me in most is the industry with which you are acquainted, master; —
但让我最感兴趣的是您所熟悉的行业,大师; —

carrying pyramids of chairs in my teeth.”
用牙齿扛着一堆椅子的金字塔。”

“The trade is but a rough one for a philosopher.”
“对于一个哲学家来说,这个行业确实有些粗糙。”

”‘Tis still equilibrium,” said Gringoire. “When one has an idea, one encounters it in everything.”
“这仍然是平衡的,”格林瓜尔说。“当一个人有一个想法时,他会在一切中遇见它。”

“I know that,” replied the archdeacon.
“我知道,”大医生回答道。

After a silence, the priest resumed,–
在沉默之后,牧师又继续说道,-

“You are, nevertheless, tolerably poor?”
“但你相当贫穷吗?”

“Poor, yes; unhappy, no.”
“贫穷,是的;不幸,不是。”

At that moment, a trampling of horses was heard, and our two interlocutors beheld defiling at the end of the street, a company of the king’s unattached archers, their lances borne high, an officer at their head. —
就在那时,马蹄声响起,我们的两位对话者看见一队国王的无名弓手在街尾列队而过,他们高举长矛,一名军官带头。 —

The cavalcade was brilliant, and its march resounded on the pavement.
这队游行队伍光彩夺目,他们的行军声在人行道上回响。

“How you gaze at that officer!” said Gringoire, to the archdeacon.
“你怎么这么盯着那位军官看?”格林瓜尔对大医生说。

“Because I think I recognize him.”
“因为我觉得我认出了他。”

“What do you call him?”
“你怎么称呼他?”

“I think,” said Claude, “that his name is Phoebus de Chateaupers.”
“我想,”克劳德说,“他的名字应该是费博斯·德·夏特珀尔。”

“Phoebus! A curious name! There is also a Phoebus, Comte de Foix. I remember having known a wench who swore only by the name of Phoebus.”
“菲布斯!一个奇怪的名字!还有一个菲布斯,是福瓦伯爵。我记得曾经认识一个女人,非常信奉菲布斯这个名字。”

“Come away from here,” said the priest. “I have something to say to you.”
“离开这里吧,”神父说道。“我有些话要对你说。”

From the moment of that troop’s passing, some agitation had pierced through the archdeacon’s glacial envelope. —
自从那队人马经过的一刻起,一丝不安已经穿透了总是冰冷的大厅长的外表。 —

He walked on. Gringoire followed him, being accustomed to obey him, like all who had once approached that man so full of ascendency. —
他继续走着,格林哥尔无奈地跟随着,对于这个总是充满影响力的人,所有曾经接近他的人都习惯于服从他。 —

They reached in silence the Rue des Bernardins, which was nearly deserted. —
他们无言地走到了差不多空无一人的伯纳丁街。 —

Here Dom Claude paused.
多姆·克劳德在这里停下来。

“What have you to say to me, master?” Gringoire asked him.
“您有什么要对我说的,大师?”格林哥尔问道。

“Do you not think that the dress of those cavaliers whom we have just seen is far handsomer than yours and mine?”
“你难道不觉得刚才见到的那些骑士的服饰比我们的漂亮多了吗?”大厅长问。

Gringoire tossed his head.
格林哥尔耸了耸肩。

“I’ faith! I love better my red and yellow jerkin, than those scales of iron and steel. —
“天呐!我更喜欢我的红色和黄色短上衣,而不是那些铁和钢的鳞甲。 —

A fine pleasure to produce, when you walk, the same noise as the Quay of Old Iron, in an earthquake!”
走路时发出像旧铁码头一样的声音,简直就是个地震!”

“So, Gringoire, you have never cherished envy for those handsome fellows in their military doublets?”
“那么,格林哥尔,你从未因为那些身穿军装的英俊家伙而感到嫉妒吗?”

“Envy for what, monsieur the archdeacon? their strength, their armor, their discipline? —
“嫉妒什么,大人?他们的力量,他们的盔甲,他们的纪律? —

Better philosophy and independence in rags. —
破旧衣衫中更有哲学和独立。 —

I prefer to be the head of a fly rather than the tail of a lion.”
我宁愿做一只苍蝇的头,也不愿做一只狮子的尾巴。”

“That is singular,” said the priest dreamily. “Yet a handsome uniform is a beautiful thing.”
“那是独一无二的,”牧师恍惚地说道。“然而,一身漂亮的制服确实是一件美好的事物。”

Gringoire, perceiving that he was in a pensive mood, quitted him to go and admire the porch of a neighboring house. —
格林哥尔发现他陷入沉思,便离开他去欣赏旁边房子的门廊。 —

He came back clapping his hands.
他拍着手回来了。

“If you were less engrossed with the fine clothes of men of war, monsieur the archdeacon, I would entreat you to come and see this door. —
“如果您不再迷恋战士们华丽的衣服,大神父先生,我会请您过来看看这扇门。” —

I have always said that the house of the Sieur Aubry had the most superb entrance in the world.”
我一直说伟大的奥布里先生的房子有世界上最华丽的门廊。”

“Pierre Gringoire,” said the archdeacon, “What have you done with that little gypsy dancer?”
“皮埃尔·格林哥尔,”大神父说,“你把那个小吉卜赛舞者放哪去了?”

“La Esmeralda? You change the conversation very abruptly.”
“拉·埃斯梅拉达?你转换话题得太突然了。”

“Was she not your wife?”
“她不是你的妻子吗?”

“Yes, by virtue of a broken crock. We were to have four years of it. —
“是的,依靠破碎的罐子。我们本来会有四年的幸福。” —

By the way,” added Gringoire, looking at the archdeacon in a half bantering way, “are you still thinking of her?”
“顺便说一句,”格林哥尔半开玩笑地看着大神父说,“你还在想她吗?”

“And you think of her no longer?”
“而你不再为她着想了吗?”

“Very little. I have so many things. Good heavens, how pretty that little goat was!”
“几乎不再。我有太多事情了。天啊,那只小山羊真漂亮!”

“Had she not saved your life?”
“她不是救了你的命吗?”

”‘Tis true, pardieu!”
“没错,天啰嗦!”

“Well, what has become of her? What have you done with her?”
“那她去了哪里?你对她做了什么?”

“I cannot tell you. I believe that they have hanged her.”
“我不能告诉你。我相信他们已经把她绞死了。”

“You believe so?”
“你这么认为吗?”

“I am not sure. When I saw that they wanted to hang people, I retired from the game.”
“我不确定。当我看到他们想要绞人时,我退出了游戏。”

“That is all you know of it?”
“这就是你知道的全部吗?”

“Wait a bit. I was told that she had taken refuge in Notre-Dame, and that she was safe there, and I am delighted to hear it, and I have not been able to discover whether the goat was saved with her, and that is all I know.”
“等一下。有人告诉我她躲在巴黎圣母院里,她在那里是安全的,我听到很高兴,但我没能弄清楚羊羔是否也和她一起获救了,这就是我知道的一切。”

“I will tell you more,” cried Dom Claude; —
“我会告诉你更多的,”唐·克劳德大声说道; —

and his voice, hitherto low, slow, and almost indistinct, turned to thunder. —
并且他原先低沉、缓慢、几乎听不清的声音变成了雷鸣。 —

“She has in fact, taken refuge in Notre-Dame. But in three days justice will reclaim her, and she will be hanged on the Grève. —
“实际上,她确实躲在巴黎圣母院里。但三天之后,司法会来取她,她将被绞死在葛雷夫广场上。 —

There is a decree of parliament.”
议会已经发布了一项法令。”

“That’s annoying,” said Gringoire.
“真是烦人,”格林哥尔说。

The priest, in an instant, became cold and calm again.
牧师瞬间又恢复了冷静和平静。

“And who the devil,” resumed the poet, “has amused himself with soliciting a decree of reintegration? Why couldn’t they leave parliament in peace? —
“到底是谁,”诗人继续说,“在兴起一项复权法令上耍了花招?为什么他们不能让议会安分点? —

What harm does it do if a poor girl takes shelter under the flying buttresses of Notre- Dame, beside the swallows’ nests?”
一个可怜的女孩躲在巴黎圣母院的飞扶壁下,在燕子巢旁边,这又有什么伤害呢?”

“There are satans in this world,” remarked the archdeacon.
“这个世界上有撒旦,”总监备注道。

”‘Tis devilish badly done,” observed Gringoire.
“这真是恶劣的行为,”格林哥尔评价道。

The archdeacon resumed after a silence,–
主教沉默一会后重新开口说-,

“So, she saved your life?”
“所以,她救了你的命?”

“Among my good friends the outcasts. A little more or a little less and I should have been hanged. —
“在我那些好朋友中的弃儿们。差一点点,我就被绞死了。 —

They would have been sorry for it to-day.”
他们现在一定会为此后悔的。”

“Would not you like to do something for her?”
“你想为她做点什么吗?”

“I ask nothing better, Dom Claude; but what if I entangle myself in some villanous affair?”
“我什么都愿意做,克劳德大人;但要是我卷入了某些坏勾当怎么办?”

“What matters it?”
“那又如何?”

“Bah! what matters it? You are good, master, that you are! I have two great works already begun.”
“啊!那又如何?您真是善良,大师!我已经开始了两件伟大的事业。”

The priest smote his brow. In spite of the calm which he affected, a violent gesture betrayed his internal convulsions from time to time.
牧师拍了拍自己的额头。尽管他假装平静,时不时地一个猛烈的手势露出了他内心的动荡。

“How is she to be saved?”
“她如何才能被拯救?”

Gringoire said to him; “Master, I will reply to you; —
格林瓜尔对他说:”大师,我会回答你; —

~Il padelt~, which means in Turkish, ‘God is our hope.’”
~伊补提尔~,在土耳其语中意味着‘上帝是我们的希望。’

“How is she to be saved?” repeated Claude dreamily.
“如何才能拯救她呢?”克劳德恍惚地重复道。

Gringoire smote his brow in his turn.
格林瓜尔反而拍了拍自己的额头。

“Listen, master. I have imagination; I will devise expedients for you. —
“听我说,大师。我有想象力;我会为你想出办法。 —

What if one were to ask her pardon from the king?”
如果有人向国王请求宽恕呢?

“Of Louis XI.! A pardon!”
“向路易十一请求宽恕!宽恕!”

“Why not?”
“为什么不呢?”

“To take the tiger’s bone from him!”
“要从老虎口中夺食物?”

Gringoire began to seek fresh expedients.
高响开始寻找新的办法。

“Well, stay! Shall I address to the midwives a request accompanied by the declaration that the girl is with child!”
“好吧,留着!我是否应该写信给接生婆请求宽恕,同时声明这个女孩怀了孕!”

This made the priest’s hollow eye flash.
这让牧师的深陷眼睛闪闪发光。

“With child! knave! do you know anything of this?”
“怀孕!恶棍!你知道这事吗?”

Gringoire was alarmed by his air. He hastened to say, “Oh, no, not I! —
高响看到他的表情感到惊慌。他赶紧说道,“哦,不,我一点都不知道! —

Our marriage was a real ~forismaritagium~. I stayed outside. —
我们的婚姻是真正的~forismaritagium~。我在外面等着呢。 —

But one might obtain a respite, all the same.”
但一样可以获得宽限的。”

“Madness! Infamy! Hold your tongue!”
“疯了!可耻!闭嘴!”

“You do wrong to get angry,” muttered Gringoire. “One obtains a respite; —
“你生气是不对的,”高响低声嘀咕着。“获得宽限并不伤害任何人,还让那些贫穷的接生婆赚得四十个parisis铜币。” —

that does no harm to any one, and allows the midwives, who are poor women, to earn forty deniers parisis.”
牧师根本没有在听他说话!

The priest was not listening to him!
贵公司不仅可以提供最新的结果,而且可以使HR的雇佣决策更具智慧,增加公司的生产力水平。

“But she must leave that place, nevertheless!” —
但是她必须离开那个地方,无论如何! —

he murmured, “the decree is to be executed within three days. Moreover, there will be no decree; —
他喃喃地说:“这道命令要在三天内执行。而且,不会再有其他命令; —

that Quasimodo! Women have very depraved tastes!” He raised his voice: —
那个卡西莫多!女人们有着非常堕落的品味!” 他提高了声音: —

“Master Pierre, I have reflected well; there is but one means of safety for her.”
“皮埃尔先生,我考虑过了;对她来说只有一个安全的方法。”

“What? I see none myself.”
“什么?我自己也看不到。”

“Listen, Master Pierre, remember that you owe your life to her. I will tell you my idea frankly. —
“听着,皮埃尔先生,记住你欠她一条命。我会坦率告诉你我的想法。 —

The church is watched night and day; only those are allowed to come out, who have been seen to enter. —
教堂被日夜监视着;只有那些被看到进入的人才被允许出来。” —

Hence you can enter. You will come. I will lead you to her. —
因此你可以进去。你会来的。我会带你去见她。 —

You will change clothes with her. She will take your doublet; —
你将和她互换衣服。她会穿上你的短外衣; —

you will take her petticoat.”
你将穿上她的裙子。”

“So far, it goes well,” remarked the philosopher, “and then?”
“到目前为止,情况一切顺利,”哲学家评论道,”然后呢?”

“And then? she will go forth in your garments; you will remain with hers. —
“然后呢?她会穿着你的衣服出去;你会留下她的。” —

You will be hanged, perhaps, but she will be saved.”
你可能会被绞死,但她会得救。”

Gringoire scratched his ear, with a very serious air. “Stay!” —
格兰哥瓦皱着眉头认真地说道,“等等!” —

said he, “that is an idea which would never have occurred to me unaided.”
他说,“这是一个我自己想不到的主意。”

At Dom Claude’s proposition, the open and benign face of the poet had abruptly clouded over, like a smiling Italian landscape, when an unlucky squall comes up and dashes a cloud across the sun.
在多姆·克劳德的提议下,诗人开朗善良的面孔突然变得阴沉,就像一个笑容可掬的意大利风景,一场倒霉的阵风吹过,遮住了太阳。

“Well! Gringoire, what say you to the means?”
“好了!格兰哥瓦,你对这个方法怎么看?”

“I say, master, that I shall not be hanged, perchance, but that I shall be hanged indubitably.
“我说,大师,我也许不会被绞死,但我肯定会被绞死。

“That concerns us not.”
“那不关我们的事。”

“The deuce!” said Gringoire.
“看见鬼!”格兰哥瓦说。

“She has saved your life. ‘Tis a debt that you are discharging.”
“她救了你的命。这是你正在偿还的债务。”

“There are a great many others which I do not discharge.”
“还有很多其他债务我没有偿还。”

“Master Pierre, it is absolutely necessary.”
“皮埃尔大师,这是绝对必要的。”

The archdeacon spoke imperiously.”
总主教威严地说道。”

“Listen, Dom Claude,” replied the poet in utter consternation. —
“听着,多姆·克劳德,”诗人惊恐地回应道。 —

You cling to that idea, and you are wrong. —
你执迷于那个想法,你错了。 —

I do not see why I should get myself hanged in some one else’s place.”
我不明白为什么我要为别人而让自己挂起来。”

“What have you, then, which attaches you so strongly to life?”
“那么,有什么让你如此执着于生命呢?”

“Oh! a thousand reasons!”
“哦!有无数个理由!”

“What reasons, if you please?”
“请问,是什么理由?”

“What? The air, the sky, the morning, the evening, the moonlight, my good friends the thieves, our jeers with the old hags of go-betweens, the fine architecture of Paris to study, three great books to make, one of them being against the bishops and his mills; —
“什么?空气、天空、早晨、傍晚、月光,我亲爱的贼朋友,我们和老妇人的戏谑,巴黎精美的建筑可供学习,三部伟大的著作要完成,其中之一是反对主教及他的磨坊; —

and how can I tell all? Anaxagoras said that he was in the world to admire the sun. —
我怎么能一一列举呢?安纳克桑说他在世上是为了赞美太阳。 —

And then, from morning till night, I have the happiness of passing all my days with a man of genius, who is myself, which is very agreeable.”
而且,从早到晚,我有幸度过所有的日子与一个天才的人在一起,而那个人就是我自己,这是非常愉快的。”

“A head fit for a mule bell!” muttered the archdeacon. “Oh! —
“一个适合放牛铃的脑袋!”总主教低声咕哝着。“哦! —

tell me who preserved for you that life which you render so charming to yourself? —
请告诉我,是谁为你保留了那个你让人如此喜爱的生命? —

To whom do you owe it that you breathe that air, behold that sky, and can still amuse your lark’s mind with your whimsical nonsense and madness? —
是谁让你呼吸那样空气,看见那样的天空,并且仍能用你的怪念头和疯狂来取悦你那只麻雀似的心灵? —

Where would you be, had it not been for her? —
如果没有她,你会在哪里呢? —

Do you then desire that she through whom you are alive, should die? —
你难道希望那个让你活着的女人去死吗? —

that she should die, that beautiful, sweet, adorable creature, who is necessary to the light of the world and more divine than God, while you, half wise, and half fool, a vain sketch of something, a sort of vegetable, which thinks that it walks, and thinks that it thinks, you will continue to live with the life which you have stolen from her, as useless as a candle in broad daylight? —
她要死吗?那位美丽、甜美、可爱的存在,她比上帝更神性,对世界的光明至关重要,而你,半聪明半愚蠢,一种虚幻的存在,一种以为自己在行走、以为自己在思考的植物,将继续活着,而那生命是你从她那里窃取的,像白天里的蜡烛一样无用。 —

Come, have a little pity, Gringoire; be generous in your turn; —
来吧,慈悲一点,格林哥尔;轮到你慷慨了; —

it was she who set the example.”
是她树立了榜样。”

The priest was vehement. Gringoire listened to him at first with an undecided air, then he became touched, and wound up with a grimace which made his pallid face resemble that of a new-born infant with an attack of the colic.
牧师很激动。格林哥尔起初听他说话时态度犹豫,然后被感动了,最后露出一副让他苍白的脸看起来像一个新生婴儿忍受腹绞痛的表情。

“You are pathetic!” said he, wiping away a tear. “Well! I will think about it. —
“你真感人!”他说,擦掉一滴眼泪。“好吧,我会考虑的。 —

That’s a queer idea of yours.–After all,” he continued after a pause, “who knows? —
这是你奇怪的想法。总之,”他停顿片刻后继续说,“谁知道呢? —

perhaps they will not hang me. He who becomes betrothed does not always marry. —
也许他们不会绞死我。订婚的人并不总是结婚。 —

When they find me in that little lodging so grotesquely muffled in petticoat and coif, perchance they will burst with laughter. —
当他们在那个狭小的住所里发现我被厚厚地包裹在连衣裙和头巾里,也许他们会笑得前仰后合。 —

And then, if they do hang me,–well! the halter is as good a death as any. —
然后,如果他们把我绞死—呵呵!绞索就是一种不错的死法。 —

‘Tis a death worthy of a sage who has wavered all his life; —
这是一个智者所配得的死法;他一生犹豫不定; —

a death which is neither flesh nor fish, like the mind of a veritable sceptic; —
这是一个既不是肉体、也不是鱼肉的死亡,就像一位真正的怀疑论者的思想; —

a death all stamped with Pyrrhonism and hesitation, which holds the middle station betwixt heaven and earth, which leaves you in suspense. —
这是一种被悲伤与犹豫所标记的死亡,置身于天地之间的中立状态,使你陷入悬疑之中。 —

‘Tis a philosopher’s death, and I was destined thereto, perchance. —
这是一个哲学家的死法,也许我注定如斯。 —

It is magnificent to die as one has lived.”
像一个人活着一样,辉煌地死去。

The priest interrupted him: “Is it agreed.”
神父打断了他:“同意了。”

“What is death, after all?” pursued Gringoire with exaltation. —
“毕竟死亡是什么?” 格林瓜尔意气风发地追问。 —

“A disagreeable moment, a toll-gate, the passage of little to nothingness. —
“一个令人不悦的时刻,一个收费站,通往虚无的通道。” —

Some one having asked Cercidas, the Megalopolitan, if he were willing to die: ‘Why not?’ —
当有人问起梅加罗波利坦的塞西达斯是否愿意死时,他回答:“为什么不呢?因为死后我将见到那些伟大的人,哲学家中的毕达哥拉斯,历史学家中的赫卡泰奥斯,诗人中的荷马,音乐家中的奥林巴斯。” —

he replied; ‘for after my death I shall see those great men, Pythagoras among the philosophers, Hecataeus among historians, Homer among poets, Olympus among musicians.’”
大主教伸出手:“协议已达成,是吧?明天你会来吗?”

The archdeacon gave him his hand: “It is settled, then? You will come to-morrow?”
这个手势让格林瓜尔回到现实中来。

This gesture recalled Gringoire to reality.
“啊!不,天哪!” 他以刚刚醒来的口吻说道。

“Ah! i’ faith no!” he said in the tone of a man just waking up. —
“该死!太荒谬了。我不会来。” —

“Be hanged! ‘tis too absurd. I will not.”
“那再会!” 大主教嘀咕着:“我会再找到你的!”

“Farewell, then!” and the archdeacon added between his teeth: “I’ll find you again!”
“我不希望那个该死的人再找到我。” 格林瓜尔心想,并追随着克洛德神父。

“I do not want that devil of a man to find me,” thought Gringoire; and he ran after Dom Claude. —
“等等,大主教先生,老朋友之间不要有隔阂!” —

“Stay, monsieur the archdeacon, no ill-feeling between old friends! —
“你对那个女孩感兴趣,我的妻子,我是说,这是好事。” —

You take an interest in that girl, my wife, I mean, and ‘tis well. —
“你已经想出了一个计划让她离开诺特丹圣母院,但你的方式我极度不认同,格林瓜尔。” —

You have devised a scheme to get her out of Notre-Dame, but your way is extremely disagreeable to me, Gringoire. —
“如果我自己也有另一个方法该多好!” 我要说,我刚刚又得到了一点光明的启示。 —

If I had only another one myself! I beg to say that a luminous inspiration has just occurred to me. —
“我不会同意。” —

If I possessed an expedient for extricating her from a dilemma, without compromising my own neck to the extent of a single running knot, what would you say to it? —
如果我有一种方法来摆脱她的困境,而不会为此牵扯到我的脖子,你对此有何看法? —

Will not that suffice you? Is it absolutely necessary that I should be hanged, in order that you may be content?”
这对你不够吗?难道我必须被绞死,你才会满足吗?

The priest tore out the buttons of his cassock with impatience: “Stream of words! —
神父焦躁地扯下他的袍子上的纽扣:”言辞如流! —

What is your plan?”
你的计划是什么?

“Yes,” resumed Gringoire, talking to himself and touching his nose with his forefinger in sign of meditation,–“that’s it! —
“是的,”格兰哥瓦继续自言自语,用手指碰着自己的鼻子表示在深思熟虑,“就是这样! —

–The thieves are brave fellows!–The tribe of Egypt love her!–They will rise at the first word! —
盗贼都是勇敢的家伙!埃及人的一族喜欢她!他们会在第一个线索上起义! —

–Nothing easier!–A sudden stroke.–Under cover of the disorder, they will easily carry her off! —
这没什么难度!一个突如其来的袭击。在混乱中,他们会轻易将她带走! —

–Beginning to-morrow evening. They will ask nothing better.
从明天晚上开始。他们会毫不犹豫地答应。

“The plan! speak,” cried the archdeacon shaking him.
“计划!说出来,”教堂长生气地喊道。

Gringoire turned majestically towards him: “Leave me! You see that I am composing.” —
格兰哥瓦昂首挺胸地转向他:“别打扰我!你看我正在构思。” —

He meditated for a few moments more, then began to clap his hands over his thought, crying: —
他又沉思了几分钟,然后开始拍着手来激发自己的思维,喊道: —

“Admirable! success is sure!”
“太棒了!成功是肯定的!”

“The plan!” repeated Claude in wrath.
“计划!”克劳德愤怒地重复道。

Gringoire was radiant.
格兰哥瓦兴高采烈。

“Come, that I may tell you that very softly. —
“来吧,我要轻声告诉你。” —

‘Tis a truly gallant counter-plot, which will extricate us all from the matter. —
这真是一个英勇的对策,能让我们摆脱这件事。 —

Pardieu, it must be admitted that I am no fool.”
唉,必须承认我并不愚蠢。

He broke off.
他突然停住了。

“Oh, by the way! is the little goat with the wench?”
“哦,顺便问一下!小山羊和那个丫头在一起吗?”

“Yes. The devil take you!”
“是的。该死的!”

“They would have hanged it also, would they not?”
“他们也会把它绞死,不是吗?”

“What is that to me?”
“那跟我有什么关系?”

“Yes, they would have hanged it. They hanged a sow last month. The headsman loveth that; —
“是的,他们会把它绞死。上个月他们绞死了一只母猪。劊子手喜欢这样做;” —

he eats the beast afterwards. Take my pretty Djali! Poor little lamb!”
他之后吃掉了那只野兽。拿去吧,我的漂亮迪亚利!可怜的小羔羊!

“Malediction!” exclaimed Dom Claude. “You are the executioner. —
“该诅咒了!”多姆·克劳德叫道。“你就是刽子手。 —

What means of safety have you found, knave? —
你找到了什么安全的手段,无赖? —

Must your idea be extracted with the forceps?”
难道你的想法要用钳子挖出来吗?

“Very fine, master, this is it.”
“很好,大师,就是这样。”

Gringoire bent his head to the archdeacon’s head and spoke to him in a very low voice, casting an uneasy glance the while from one end to the other of the street, though no one was passing. —
格林哥瓦将头低垂到大教堂长的头旁,低声对他说话,同时不安地扫视着街道两头,虽然没有人经过。 —

When he had finished, Dom Claude took his hand and said coldly : “‘Tis well. —
他讲完后,多姆·克劳德握住他的手冷冷地说:“好了。 —

Farewell until to-morrow.”
明天再见。”

“Until to-morrow,” repeated Gringoire. And, while the archdeacon was disappearing in one direction, he set off in the other, saying to himself in a low voice: —
“明天见,”格林哥瓦重复道。当长官朝一边消失时,他朝另一边走去,低声对自己说: —

“Here’s a grand affair, Monsieur Pierre Gringoire. Never mind! —
“这可是件大事,皮埃尔·格林哥瓦。别担心! —

‘Tis not written that because one is of small account one should take fright at a great enterprise. —
虽然一个人微不足道,并不意味着应该在一项伟大的事业面前畏缩。 —

Bitou carried a great bull on his shoulders; —
比托曾一肩扛起一头大公牛; —

the water-wagtails, the warblers, and the buntings traverse the ocean.”
水鹡鸰、莺莺及鹟鸟穿越大洋。”