In the course of his present stay in Chicago, Drouet paid some slight attention to the secret order to which he belonged. —
在他目前在芝加哥停留期间,德鲁埃特对他所属的秘密组织稍微关注了一下。 —

During his last trip he had received a new light on its importance.
在他上次旅行期间,他对其重要性有了新的认识。

“I tell you,” said another drummer to him, “it’s a great thing. Look at Hazenstab. —
“我告诉你,”另一名推销员对他说,“这是一件了不起的事情。看看哈岑斯塔布。 —

He isn’t so deuced clever. Of course he’s got a good house behind him, but that won’t do alone. —
他并不是那么聪明。当然,他背后有一个好房子,但这并不是唯一重要的。 —

I tell you it’s his degree. He’s a way-up Mason, and that goes a long way. —
我告诉你,这是因为他的学位。他是高级共济会会员,这在很大程度上起作用。 —

He’s got a secret sign that stands for something.”
他有一个代表某种含义的秘密标记。”

Drouet resolved then and there that he would take more interest in such matters. —
德鲁埃特当时便决定他会更加关注这些事情。 —

So when he got back to Chicago he repaired to his local lodge headquarters.
所以当他回到芝加哥后,他赶到了当地的会所总部。

“I say, Drouet,” said Mr. Harry Quincel, an individual who was very prominent in this local branch of the Elks, “you’re the man that can help us out.”
“我说,德鲁埃特,”哈里·昆塞尔先生说,他是这家肘部地方分会中非常重要的人物,“你是能帮助我们的人。”

It was after the business meeting and things were going socially with a hum. —
这是商务会议之后,大家开始社交活动。 —

Drouet was bobbing around chatting and joking with a score of individuals whom he knew.
德鲁埃特在人群中闲逛,与一些熟人闲谈和开玩笑。

“What are you up to?” he inquired genially, turning a smiling face upon his secret brother.
“你在干什么?”他友好地问道,向他的密友展示笑脸。

“We’re trying to get up some theatricals for two weeks from to-day, and we want to know if you don’t know some young lady who could take a part – it’s an easy part.”
“我们正努力准备两周后的一些戏剧活动,我们想知道你是否认识一些年轻女士可以参与其中——这是一个简单的角色。”

“Sure,” said Drouet, “what is it?” He did not trouble to remember that he knew no one to whom he could appeal on this score. —
“当然,”德鲁埃特说,“是什么角色?”他并未在意他并不认识任何可以求助的人。 —

His innate good-nature, however, dictated a favourable reply.
然而,他与生俱来的善良本性决定了他给出一个积极的答复。

“Well, now, I’ll tell you what we are trying to do,” went on Mr. Quincel. —
“嗯,现在我告诉你我们想要做什么,”Quincel先生继续说道。 —

“We are trying to get a new set of furniture for the lodge. —
“我们想给会所添置一套新家具。 —

There isn’t enough money in the treasury at the present time, and we thought we would raise it by a little entertainment.”
目前的金库里没有足够的钱,我们想通过一次小型娱乐活动来筹款。”

“Sure,” interrupted Drouet, “that’s a good idea.”
“当然,”杜鲁特插话道,“这是个好主意。”

“Several of the boys around here have got talent. —
“这里有几个男孩具有才华。 —

There’s Harry Burbeck, he does a fine black-face turn. —
哈里·伯贝克,他表演黑脸相冠军。 —

Mac Lewis is all right at heavy dramatics. —
麦克·刘易斯在重型戏剧方面也做得很好。 —

Did you ever hear him recite ‘Over the Hills’?”
你听过他朗诵《山那边》吗?”

“Never did.”
“没听过。”

“Well, I tell you, he does it fine.”
“我告诉你,他表演得很出色。”

“And you want me to get some woman to take a part?” —
“那你想让我找个女人扮演一个角色?” —

questioned Drouet, anxious to terminate the subject and get on to something else. —
杜鲁特问道,急于结束这个话题,继续谈其他事情。 —

“What are you going to play?”
“你们要演什么?”

”‘Under the Gaslight,’” said Mr. Quincel, mentioning Augustin Daly’s famous production, which had worn from a great public success down to an amateur theatrical favourite, with many of the troublesome accessories cut out and the dramatis personae reduced to the smallest possible number.
“‘在煤气灯下’,”Quincel先生说,提到奥古斯丁·戴利著名的作品,曾经是一部大众成功,如今成为业余戏剧爱好者的喜爱,很多繁琐的细节被删减,人物角色数量也减少到最少。

Drouet had seen this play some time in the past.
杜鲁特曾经看过这部剧。

“That’s it,” he said; “that’s a fine play. It will go all right. —
“就是这样,”他说,“这是一出精彩的剧。它会很顺利的。” —

You ought to make a lot of money out of that.”
“你应该能从中赚很多钱。”

“We think we’ll do very well,” Mr. Quincel replied. —
“我们觉得我们会做得很好,”昆塞尔先生回答道。 —

“Don’t you forget now,” he concluded, Drouet showing signs of restlessness; —
“别忘了,”他结束了谈话,德鲁埃表现出不耐烦; —

“some young woman to take the part of Laura.”
“需要找个年轻女子来扮演劳拉的角色。”

“Sure, I’ll attend to it.”
“当然,我会处理的。”

He moved away, forgetting almost all about it the moment Mr. Quincel had ceased talking. —
他走开了,几乎一听到昆塞尔先生讲完话,他就忘了这件事情。 —

He had not even thought to ask the time or place.
他甚至没想起问时间和地点。

Drouet was reminded of his promise a day or two later by the receipt of a letter announcing that the first rehearsal was set for the following Friday evening, and urging him to kindly forward the young lady’s address at once, in order that the part might be delivered to her.
几天后,德鲁埃收到一封信,宣布排练的第一次安排在下周五晚上进行,并催促他立即提供年轻女子的地址,以便将角色发给她。

“Now, who the deuce do I know?” asked the drummer reflectively, scratching his rosy ear. —
“我认识谁啊?”鼓手若有所思地问道,挠着他红扑扑的耳朵。 —

“I don’t know any one that knows anything about amateur theatricals.”
“我不认识任何一个懂点业余戏剧的女人。”

He went over in memory the names of a number of women he knew, and finally fixed on one, largely because of the convenient location of her home on the West Side, and promised himself that as he came out that evening he would see her. —
他回忆起他认识的好几个女人的名字,最后选定了一个,主要是因为她住在西区,位置很方便,他答应自己晚上出来时会去见她。 —

When, however, he started west on the car he forgot, and was only reminded of his delinquency by an item in the “Evening News” – a small three-line affair under the head of Secret Society Notes – which stated the Custer Lodge of the Order of Elks would give a theatrical performance in Avery Hall on the 16th, when “Under the Gaslight” would be produced.
然而当他坐车向西走时他忘了,只有在《晚间新闻》上一个关于秘密结社笔记的小三行消息提醒了他——Elks会Custer Lodge将于16日在艾弗里礼堂举行一场戏剧演出,将上演《煤气灯下》。

“George!” exclaimed Drouet, “I forgot that.”
“乔治!”德鲁埃惊呼,“我忘了这件事。”

“What?” inquired Carrie.
“什么?”凯丽问道。

They were at their little table in the room which might have been used for a kitchen, where Carrie occasionally served a meal. —
他们坐在房间里的小桌旁,那个房间可能曾经用作厨房,Carrie偶尔在这里端上一顿饭。 —

To-night the fancy had caught her, and the little table was spread with a pleasing repast.
今晚她突然有了这个念头,小桌上摆着一顿美味的便餐。

“Why, my lodge entertainment. They’re going to give a play, and they wanted me to get them some young lady to take a part.”
“为什么呢,是我的工会活动。他们要演一出戏,他们想让我找一个年轻女士来参演一角。”

“What is it they’re going to play?”
“他们要演什么戏?”

”‘Under the Gaslight.’”
“《煤气灯下》。”

“When?”
“什么时候?”

“On the 16th.”
“16号。”

“Well, why don’t you?” asked Carrie.
“那你为什么不试试呢?”Carrie问。

“I don’t know any one,” he replied.
“我不认识任何人,”他回答。

Suddenly he looked up.
突然,他抬起头。

“Say,” he said, “how would you like to take the part?”
“听着,”他说,”你愿不愿意出演那个角色?”

“Me?” said Carrie. “I can’t act.”
“我?”Carrie说,”我不会演戏。”

“How do you know?” questioned Drouet reflectively.
“你怎么知道呢?”Drouet反思着问。

“Because,” answered Carrie, “I never did.”
“因为,”Carrie回答,”我从来没有演过。”

Nevertheless, she was pleased to think he would ask. —
然而,她很高兴他会提出。 —

Her eyes brightened, for if there was anything that enlisted her sympathies it was the art of the stage.
她的眼睛闪亮起来,因为如果有什么能引起她同情的话,那就是舞台艺术。

True to his nature, Drouet clung to this idea as an easy way out.
忠于他的本性,德鲁埃特紧紧抓住这个想法,作为一条简单的出路。

“That’s nothing. You can act all you have to down there.”
“那没什么。那边你只需要演一切。”

“No, I can’t,” said Carrie weakly, very much drawn toward the proposition and yet fearful.
“不,我做不到,”嘉莉微弱地说,非常被这个提议吸引,但又感到恐惧。

“Yes, you can. Now, why don’t you do it? They need some one, and it will be lots of fun for you.”
“是的,你可以。现在,为什么不试试?他们需要一个人,而且这对你来说会很有趣。”

“Oh, no, it won’t,” said Carrie seriously.
“哦,不,不会的,”嘉莉严肃地说。

“You’d like that. I know you would. I’ve seen you dancing around here and giving imitations and that’s why I asked you. —
“你会喜欢的。我知道你会喜欢的。我看过你在这里跳舞和模仿,所以我才问你。 —

You’re clever enough, all right.”
你很聪明的。”

“No, I’m not,” said Carrie shyly.
“不,我不是,”嘉莉害羞地说。

“Now, I’ll tell you what you do. You go down and see about it. It’ll be fun for you. —
“现在,我告诉你该怎么做。你去看看吧。对你来说会很有趣。 —

The rest of the company isn’t going to be any good. —
公司的其他人都不怎么样。 —

They haven’t any experience. What do they know about theatricals?”
他们没有经验。他们懂什么戏剧?”

He frowned as he thought of their ignorance.
一想到他们的无知,他皱起了眉头。

“Hand me the coffee,” he added.
“把咖啡递给我,”他补充道。

“I don’t believe I could act, Charlie,” Carrie went on pettishly. —
“查理,我不相信我能演戏,”嘉莉继续不满地说。 —

“You don’t think I could, do you?”
“你不觉得我行吗?”

“Sure. Out o’ sight. I bet you make a hit. Now you want to go, I know you do. —
“当然。绝对没问题。我敢打赌你会受欢迎的。现在你想去,我知道你想去。” —

I knew it when I came home. That’s why I asked you.”
“我回来就知道了。所以我问你。”

“What is the play, did you say?”
“你说是哪出戏?”

”‘Under the Gaslight.’”
“《煤气灯下》。”

“What part would they want me to take?”
“他们想让我演什么角色?”

“Oh, one of the heroines – I don’t know.”
“哦,一个女主角——具体我不清楚。”

“What sort of a play is it?”
“这是什么样的一出戏?”

“Well,” said Drouet, whose memory for such things was not the best, “it’s about a girl who gets kidnapped by a couple of crooks – a man and a woman that live in the slums. —
“唔,”德鲁埃特记忆力不是很好,“大概是关于一个女孩被一对住在贫民窟里的坏人绑架了。 —

She had some money or something and they wanted to get it. —
她有一些钱或其他什么东西,他们想得到。” —

I don’t know now how it did go exactly.”
“我现在不太清楚具体情节了。”

“Don’t you know what part I would have to take?”
“你不知道我要扮演什么角色吗?”

“No, I don’t, to tell the truth.” He thought a moment. “Yes, I do, too. —
“不,实话说不知道。” 他想了一会儿。“噢,对了。 —

Laura, that’s the thing – you’re to be Laura.”
劳拉,这就是角色——你要演劳拉。”

“And you can’t remember what the part is like?”
“你记不得这个角色是怎么样了吗?”

“To save me, Cad, I can’t,” he answered. “I ought to, too; I’ve seen the play enough. —
“救我,卡德,我不行。”他回答道。“我也应该去;我看过这出戏很多次了。 —

There’s a girl in it that was stolen when she was an infant – was picked off the street or something – and she’s the one that’s hounded by the two old criminals I was telling you about.” —
戏里有个女孩被拐走,她小时候就被偷走了——在街上被捡到的什么的——她就是我告诉你的那两个老罪犯所追逐的人。 —

He stopped with a mouthful of pie poised on a fork before his face. —
他停下来,嘴里叉子上挑着一口馅饼。 —

“She comes very near getting drowned – no, that’s not it. —
“她几乎被淹死——不对, —

I’ll tell you what I’ll do,” he concluded hopelessly, “I’ll get you the book. —
我告诉你我会做什么,”他绝望地总结道,“我给你找本书。 —

I can’t remember now for the life of me.”
我现在生命都想不起来。

“Well, I don’t know,” said Carrie, when he had concluded, her interest and desire to shine dramatically struggling with her timidity for the mastery. —
“嘛,我不知道,”当他结束时,嘉莉说,她的兴趣和欲望在戏剧上显眼,与她的胆怯争夺主导权。 —

“I might go if you thought I’d do all right.”
“如果你认为我做得好,我可能会去。”

“Of course, you’ll do,” said Drouet, who, in his efforts to enthuse Carrie, had interested himself. —
“当然,你会做的,”在努力激励嘉莉时,Drouet说。 —

“Do you think I’d come home here and urge you to do something that I didn’t think you would make a success of? —
“你可以表演得很好。这对你有好处。” —

You can act all right. It’ll be good for you.”
“我什么时候去?”嘉莉反思道。

“When must I go?” said Carrie, reflectively.
“第一次彩排是周五晚上。我今晚会给你找到角色。”

“The first rehearsal is Friday night. I’ll get the part for you to-night.”
“好吧,”嘉莉顺从地说,“我会去的,但如果我现在失败了,那是你的错。”

“All right,” said Carrie resignedly, “I’ll do it, but if I make a failure now it’s your fault.”
“你不会失败的,”Drouet保证道。“就像你在这里一样行事。自然点。”

“You won’t fail,” assured Drouet. “Just act as you do around here. Be natural. —
“Of course, you’ll do,” said Drouet. “Just act as you do around here. Be natural.” —

You’re all right. I’ve often thought you’d make a corking good actress.”
你说得没错。我一直认为你会是一个非常出色的女演员。

“Did you really?” asked Carrie.
“真的吗?” 凯丽问道。

“That’s right,” said the drummer.
“没错,” 鼓手说。

He little knew as he went out of the door that night what a secret flame he had kindled in the bosom of the girl he left behind. —
他离开门时并不知道他在女孩心中点燃了一团秘密的火焰。 —

Carrie was possessed of that sympathetic, impressionable nature which, ever in the most developed form, has been the glory of the drama. —
凯丽具有那种富有同情心、易受感染的天性,这种天性一直被视为戏剧的荣耀。 —

She was created with that passivity of soul which is always the mirror of the active world. —
她的心性被赋予一种被动性,总是世界活跃的镜像。 —

She possessed an innate taste for imitation and no small ability. —
她天生就有模仿的爱好和相当的能力。 —

Even without practice, she could sometimes restore dramatic situations she had witnessed by re-creating, before her mirror, the expressions of the various faces taking part in the scene. —
即使没有练习,她有时也能通过映照镜子来重现她目睹过的戏剧情节中参与者的表情。 —

She loved to modulate her voice after the conventional manner of the distressed heroine, and repeat such pathetic fragments as appealed most to her sympathies. —
她喜欢模仿那些悲伤女主角的惯常方式,重复一些最触动她同情心的悲惨片段。 —

Of late, seeing the airy grace of the ingenue in several well-constructed plays, she had been moved to secretly imitate it, and many were the little movements and expressions of the body in which she indulged from time to time in the privacy of her chamber. —
最近,看到几部构思精巧的剧中婴儿脸孔的天真优美,她激发了私下模仿的冲动,在自己的房间里,时不时地展现出不起眼的身体动作和表情。 —

On several occasions, when Drouet had caught her admiring herself, as he imagined, in the mirror, she was doing nothing more than recalling some little grace of the mouth or the eyes which she had witnessed in another. —
几次,当德鲁特发现她在镜子里自我欣赏(他所想像的),实际上她只是回忆了目睹过的某些嘴巴或眼睛中的优美之处。 —

Under his airy accusation she mistook this for vanity and accepted the blame with a faint sense of error, though, as a matter of fact, it was nothing more than the first subtle outcroppings of an artistic nature, endeavouring to re-create the perfect likeness of some phase of beauty which appealed to her. —
在他轻蔑指责下,她将其误解为虚荣,并带着微弱的错误感接受了责备,尽管实际上,这只是艺术天性首次微妙表现,试图再现某种对她有吸引力的美的完美肖像。 —

In such feeble tendencies, be it known, such outworking of desire to reproduce life, lies the basis of all dramatic art.
在这种微弱倾向中,应该知道,这种征服生活的渴望,是所有戏剧艺术的基础。

Now, when Carrie heard Drouet’s laudatory opinion of her dramatic ability, her body tingled with satisfaction. —
当凯丽听到德鲁特对她演技的赞誉时,她全身都充满了满足感。 —

Like the flame which welds the loosened particles into a solid mass, his words united those floating wisps of feeling which she had felt, but never believed, concerning her possible ability, and made them into a gaudy shred of hope. —
就像那束将松散颗粒焊接成坚实块体的火焰一样,他的话将她曾经感受过但从未相信的那些关于自己潜在能力的想法结合在一起,变成了一条光鲜的希望之线。 —

Like all human beings, she had a touch of vanity. —
像所有人类一样,她带着一丝虚荣心。 —

She felt that she could do things if she only had a chance. —
她觉得只要给她一个机会,她就能做到。 —

How often had she looked at the well-dressed actresses on the stage and wondered how she would look, how delightful she would feel if only she were in their place. —
她常常看着舞台上穿着光鲜亮丽的女演员,想象自己如果站在她们的位置会是什么样子,会有多么令人愉悦。 —

The glamour, the tense situation, the fine clothes, the applause, these had lured her until she felt that she, too, could act – that she, too, could compel acknowledgment of power. —
魅力,紧张的局势,精美的衣服,掌声,这些吸引着她,让她感到她也能表演 – 她也能获得权力的承认。 —

Now she was told that she really could – that little things she had done about the house had made even him feel her power. —
现在有人告诉她,实际上她确实能做到 – 她在家里做的一些小事情甚至让他感受到了她的力量。 —

It was a delightful sensation while it lasted.
这种感觉一直持续着,真是令人愉悦。

When Drouet was gone, she sat down in her rocking-chair by the window to think about it. —
当Drouet离开时,她坐在窗前的摇椅上反思着。 —

As usual, imagination exaggerated the possibilities for her. —
像往常一样,想象力夸大了她的可能性。 —

It was as if he had put fifty cents in her hand and she had exercised the thoughts of a thousand dollars. —
就好像他把五十分放在她手里,她却想象着一千美元的念头。 —

She saw herself in a score of pathetic situations in which she assumed a tremulous voice and suffering manner. —
她看到自己处于许多令人心碎的情况中,她展现出一种颤抖的声音和受罪的态度。 —

Her mind delighted itself with scenes of luxury and refinement, situations in which she was the cynosure of all eyes, the arbiter of all fates. —
她的思维在奢华和精致的情境中得到了满足,在她成为众人瞩目的焦点,命运的裁决者的情境中。 —

As she rocked to and fro she felt the tensity of woe in abandonment, the magnificence of wrath after deception, the languour of sorrow after defeat. —
当她前后摇动时,她感受到了被抛弃后的哀伤张力,被欺骗后的愤怒的壮丽,被击败后的忧郁。 —

Thoughts of all the charming women she had seen in plays – every fancy, every illusion which she had concerning the stage – now came back as a returning tide after the ebb. —
她脑海中涌现出所有她在戏剧中见过的迷人女性的思想 – 每一个幻想,她关于舞台的幻觉 – 都如潮水般回来。 —

She built up feelings and a determination which the occasion did not warrant.
她建立起情感和决心,而事件并不能证明这样做是正确的。

Drouet dropped in at the lodge when he went down town, and swashed around with a great air, as Quincel met him.
当Drouet去市中心时,他会顺便过来游荡在旅店里,Quincel会去迎接他。

“Where is that young lady you were going to get for us?” asked the latter.
“那个你要为我们找的那位小姐在哪里呢?”后者问道。

“I’ve got her,” said Drouet.
“我找到她了,”德鲁埃特说。

“Have you?” said Quincel, rather surprised by his promptness; “that’s good. What’s her address?” —
“找到了吗?”昆瑟尔有些惊讶地问道,”那很好。她的地址是什么呢?” —

and he pulled out his note-book in order to be able to send her part to her.
他掏出笔记本,以便能够寄送她的部分给她。

“You want to send her her part?” asked the drummer.
“你要寄给她她的部分吗?”鼓手问道。

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Well, I’ll take it. I’m going right by her house in the morning.”
“好的。我会带去的。我明天就会路过她家。”

“What did you say her address was? We only want it in case we have any information to send her.”
“你说她的地址是什么?我们只是想把它记下来,以防我们要给她发送一些信息。”

“Twenty-nine Ogden Place.”
“奥格登大街29号。”

“And her name?”
“她的名字呢?”

“Carrie Madenda,” said the drummer, firing at random. The lodge members knew him to be single.
“凯丽·玛登达,”鼓手随意说道。会所的成员们知道他是单身。

“That sounds like somebody that can act, doesn’t it?” said Quincel.
“听起来像是一个会演戏的人,对吧?”昆瑟尔说。

“Yes, it does.”
“是的,的确如此。”

He took the part home to Carrie and handed it to her with the manner of one who does a favour.
他把这个角色带回给凯丽,以一种帮忙的态度递给她。

“He says that’s the best part. Do you think you can do it?”
“他说这是最好的角色。你觉得你能演吗?”

“I don’t know until I look it over. You know I’m afraid, now that I’ve said I would.”
“我不知道,直到我看一下。你知道我现在很害怕,因为我说过我会去的。”

“Oh, go on. What have you got to be afraid of? It’s a cheap company. —
“哦,别害怕。这家公司很便宜,你有什么好怕的呢?” —

The rest of them aren’t as good as you are.”
“其他人都没有你好。”

“Well, I’ll see,” said Carrie, pleased to have the part, for all her misgivings.
“好吧,我会看看的,” 凯丽说着,对有机会演出感到高兴,尽管心存疑虑。

He sidled around, dressing and fidgeting before he arranged to make his next remark.
他转过身来,穿好衣服,然后安排好谈话的下一步。

“They were getting ready to print the programmes,” he said, “and I gave them the name of Carrie Madenda. —
“他们正准备印刷节目单,”他说:”我告诉他们要把凯丽·玛登达的名字加进去了。” —

Was that all right?”
“这样可以吗?”

“Yes, I guess so,” said his companion, looking up at him. She was thinking it was slightly strange.
“可以的,我想是的,”他的同伴抬起头看着他。她心里觉得有点奇怪。

“If you didn’t make a hit, you know,” he went on.
“如果你表现不好,你知道,”他接着说。

“Oh, yes,” she answered, rather pleased now with his caution. It was clever for Drouet.
“哦,是的,”她回答,现在对他的谨慎感到满意。这对德鲁埃特来说很聪明。

“I didn’t want to introduce you as my wife, because you’d feel worse then if you didn’t go. —
“我不想把你介绍成我的妻子,因为如果你不去,你会感觉更糟。 —

They all know me so well. But you’ll go all right. —
他们都认识我很好。但你会没问题的。 —

Anyhow, you’ll probably never meet any of them again.”
反正,你可能再也见不到他们了。”

“Oh, I don’t care,” said Carrie desperately. —
“哦,我不在乎,” 凯丽绝望地说。 —

She was determined now to have a try at the fascinating game.
她现在下定决心要尝试这个迷人的游戏。

Drouet breathed a sigh of relief. He had been afraid that he was about to precipitate another conversation upon the marriage question.
Drouet 松了口气。他曾担心自己即将引发关于婚姻问题的另一场对话。

The part of Laura, as Carrie found out when she began to examine it, was one of suffering and tears. —
当 Carrie 接过剧本开始阅读时,发现 Laura 这个角色是一个充满苦难和眼泪的角色。 —

As delineated by Mr. Daly, it was true to the most sacred traditions of melodrama as he found it when he began his career. —
在戴利先生描绘的人物形象中,它忠实于他在职业生涯开始时发现的最神圣的夸张传统。 —

The sorrowful demeanour, the tremolo music, the long, explanatory, cumulative addresses, all were there.
悲伤的态度,颤抖的音乐,冗长的解释性演讲,所有都在那里。

“Poor fellow,” read Carrie, consulting the text and drawing her voice out pathetically. —
“可怜的家伙,” Carrie 读着,查阅文本并悲伤地拉长声音。 —

“Martin, be sure and give him a glass of wine before he goes.”
“Martin,记得在他走之前给他一杯酒。”

She was surprised at the briefness of the entire part, not knowing that she must be on the stage while others were talking, and not only be there, but also keep herself in harmony with the dramatic movement of the scenes.
她惊讶于整个角色的简短,不知道她必须在别人谈话时在舞台上出现,不仅要在那里,还要保持与场景的戏剧性运动协调一致。

“I think I can do that, though,” she concluded.
“我想我能做到,” 她总结道。

When Drouet came the next night, she was very much satisfied with her day’s study.
当第二天夜晚 Drouet 来时,她对自己当天的学习感到非常满意。

“Well, how goes it, Caddie?” he said.
“嗨,卡迪,进展如何?” 他说。

“All right,” she laughed. “I think I have it memorised nearly.”
“很好,” 她笑了,“我几乎记住了。”

“That’s good,” he said. “Let’s hear some of it.”
“很好,” 他说。“让我听一部分。”

“Oh, I don’t know whether I can get up and say it off here,” she said bashfully.
“哦,我不知道我能否站起来在这里说出来,” 她害羞地说。

“Well, I don’t know why you shouldn’t. It’ll be easier here than it will there.”
“嗯,我不知道你为什么不应该。在这里会比在那里更容易。”

“I don’t know about that,” she answered.
“我不太确定,” 她回答道。

Eventually she took off the ball-room episode with considerable feeling, forgetting, as she got deeper in the scene, all about Drouet, and letting herself rise to a fine state of feeling.
最终,她带着相当强烈的感情把舞会的情节演绎出来,当她深入情节时,完全忘记了德鲁埃,让自己沉浸在一种美好的感情状态中。

“Good,” said Drouet; “fine; out o’ sight! You’re all right, Caddie, I tell you.”
“太棒了,”德鲁埃说;”太精彩了!凯迪,你没错。”

He was really moved by her excellent representation and the general appearance of the pathetic little figure as it swayed and finally fainted to the floor. —
他真的被她出色的表演和那个可怜的小人物整体形象所感动,看着她摇晃一下,最终晕倒在地。 —

He had bounded up to catch her, and now held her laughing in his arms.
他跳起来准备接住她,现在笑嘻嘻地抱住她。

“Ain’t you afraid you’ll hurt yourself?” he asked.
“你不怕会受伤吗?”他问。

“Not a bit.”
“一点都不怕。”

“Well, you’re a wonder. Say, I never knew you could do anything like that.”
“哇,你真了不起。说实话,我从来不知道你能做到这样的事。”

“I never did, either,” said Carrie merrily, her face flushed with delight.
“我也从来没有过,”凯莉开心地说,脸上带着喜悦。

“Well, you can bet that you’re all right,” said Drouet. —
“嗯,你可以相信你没错的,”德鲁埃说。 —

“You can take my word for that. You won’t fail.”
“这一点,你可以相信我。你不会失败。”