When Carrie reached her own room she had already fallen a prey to those doubts and misgivings which are ever the result of a lack of decision. —
当凯丽走进自己的房间时,她已经被那些犹豫和担忧困扰着,这些都是缺乏决定力的结果。 —

She could not persuade herself as to the advisability of her promise, or that now, having given her word, she ought to keep it. —
她无法说服自己,关于她许诺的明智性,或者现在,既然她已经说过话,她应该遵守承诺。 —

She went over the whole ground in Hurstwood’s absence, and discovered little objections that had not occurred to her in the warmth of the manager’s argument. —
在赫斯特伍德不在场时,她对整个情况进行了全面考虑,并发现了在经理的争辩中没有出现的小疑虑。 —

She saw where she had put herself in a peculiar light, namely, that of agreeing to marry when she was already supposedly married. —
她看到自己以一种特殊的光辉出现,那就是,当她被认为已经结婚时同意结婚。 —

She remembered a few things Drouet had done, and now that it came to walking away from him without a word, she felt as if she were doing wrong. —
她记得卓埃特曾经做过的一些事情,现在,当要默默地离开他时,她觉得好像在做错事。 —

Now, she was comfortably situated, and to one who is more or less afraid of the world, this is an urgent matter, and one which puts up strange, uncanny arguments. —
现在,她安顿下来,对于一个或多或少害怕世界的人来说,这是一个紧迫的问题,也是一个提出奇怪而离奇的论点的问题。 —

“You do not know what will come. There are miserable things outside. People go a-begging. —
“你不知道将会发生什么。外面有悲惨的事情。人们要讨饭。 —

Women are wretched. You never can tell what will happen. —
女人是悲惨的。你永远猜不到会发生什么。 —

Remember the time you were hungry. Stick to what you have.”
记得你曾经饥饿的时候。坚守你所拥有的。”

Curiously, for all her leaning towards Hurstwood, he had not taken a firm hold on her understanding. —
奇怪的是,尽管她倾向于赫斯特伍德,但他并没有牢牢地掌握她的理解。 —

She was listening, smiling, approving, and yet not finally agreeing. —
她在倾听,微笑,赞同,但最终没有同意。 —

This was due to a lack of power on his part, a lack of that majesty of passion that sweeps the mind from its seat, fuses and melts all arguments and theories into a tangled mass, and destroys for the time being the reasoning power. —
这是由于他那种力量的不足,一种那种能让思想脱离座位、将所有论点和理论融为一团,并摧毁推理能力的激情的不足。 —

This majesty of passion is possessed by nearly every man once in his life, but it is usually an attribute of youth and conduces to the first successful mating.
这种激情的威严几乎每个男人生命中都会拥有一次,但它通常是青春的属性,并有助于第一次成功交配。

Hurstwood, being an older man, could scarcely be said to retain the fire of youth, though he did possess a passion warm and unreasoning. —
赫斯特伍德,作为一个年长的男人,几乎不能说他保留了青年时代的激情,尽管他确实拥有一种热情而不理智的激情。 —

It was strong enough to induce the leaning toward him which, on Carrie’s part, we have seen. —
它足够强大,可以导致凯丽对他的倾向,我们已经看到。 —

She might have been said to be imagining herself in love, when she was not. —
她可能被认为是在想象自己恋爱了,但其实并没有。 —

Women frequently do this. It flows from the fact that in each exists a bias towards affection, a craving for the pleasure of being loved. —
女人经常会这样做。这源于每个女人内心都存在一种偏好于爱的倾向,渴望被爱的快乐。 —

The longing to be shielded, bettered, sympathised with, is one of the attributes of the sex. —
渴望被保护、被改善、被同情是女性的特质之一。 —

This, coupled with sentiment and a natural tendency to emotion, often makes refusing difficult. —
这个特质,再加上浪漫情感和情绪的天性,经常使得拒绝变得困难。 —

It persuades them that they are in love.
这使她们相信自己恋爱了。

Once at home, she changed her clothes and straightened the rooms for herself. —
一到家后,她换了衣服,整理了房间。 —

In the matter of the arrangement of the furniture she never took the house-maid’s opinion. —
在家具的布置方面,她从不征求女仆的意见。 —

That young woman invariably put one of the rocking-chairs in the corner, and Carrie as regularly moved it out. —
那位年轻女仆总是把摇椅放在角落里,而凯丽总是把它移开。 —

To-day she hardly noticed that it was in the wrong place, so absorbed was she in her own thoughts. —
今天她几乎没注意到摇椅放错了地方,因为她太专注于自己的思绪。 —

She worked about the room until Drouet put in appearance at five o’clock. —
她在房间里忙活,直到达到在五点钟的时候。 —

The drummer was flushed and excited and full of determination to know all about her relations with Hurstwood. —
鼓手脸红兴奋,下定决心要了解她与赫斯特伍德的关系。 —

Nevertheless, after going over the subject in his mind the livelong day, he was rather weary of it and wished it over with. —
然而,整天都在脑海中思考这个问题后,他对此有些厌烦,希望能烦心能很快结束。 —

He did not foresee serious consequences of any sort, and yet he rather hesitated to begin. —
他并没有预料到会有任何严重后果,但是他还是有点犹豫要开始。 —

Carrie was sitting by the window when he came in, rocking and looking out.
凯丽当他进来时正坐在窗前摇椅上,看着外面。

“Well,” she said innocently, weary of her own mental discussion and wondering at his haste and ill-concealed excitement, “what makes you hurry so?”
“那么,”她天真地说,对自己的思绪疲倦,并对他的匆忙和难以掩饰的兴奋感到惊讶,“你急什么呢?”

Drouet hesitated, now that he was in her presence, uncertain as to what course to pursue. —
德鲁埃犹豫了,现在他在她面前,不确定该采取什么行动。 —

He was no diplomat. He could neither read nor see.
他不是一个外交家。他既看不懂也看不见。

“When did you get home?” he asked foolishly.
“你什么时候回家的?”他愚蠢地问道。

“Oh, an hour or so ago. What makes you ask that?”
“哦,大约一个小时前。你为什么问?”

“You weren’t here,” he said, “when I came back this morning, and I thought you had gone out.”
“你不在家,”他说,”我今早回来时你不在,我以为你出去了。”

“So I did,” said Carrie simply. “I went for a walk.”
“是的,”凯丽简单地回答道,”我出去散了散步。”

Drouet looked at her wonderingly. For all his lack of dignity in such matters he did not know how to begin. —
德鲁埃惊讶地看着她。尽管在这些事情上缺乏尊严,但他不知道该如何开始。 —

He stared at her in the most flagrant manner until at last she said:
他像个大惊小怪的样子盯着她,最后她说道:

“What makes you stare at me so? What’s the matter?”
“你为什么瞪着我看?出了什么事?”

“Nothing,” he answered. “I was just thinking.”
“没什么,”他回答道,”我只是在想事情。”

“Just thinking what?” she returned smilingly, puzzled by his attitude.
“在想什么?”她微笑着回答,被他的态度弄得困惑。

“Oh, nothing – nothing much.”
“哦,没什么 – 没什么重要的事。”

“Well, then, what makes you look so?”
“那么,你为什么看着我?”

Drouet was standing by the dresser, gazing at her in a comic manner. —
德鲁埃站在梳妆台旁,用滑稽的表情注视着她。 —

He had laid off his hat and gloves and was now fidgeting with the little toilet pieces which were nearest him. —
他已经把帽子和手套放下,现在正在翻弄着离他最近的一些化妆用品。 —

He hesitated to believe that the pretty woman before him was involved in anything so unsatisfactory to himself. —
他迟疑地不愿相信眼前这位漂亮的女人会涉及他自己不满意的事情。 —

He was very much inclined to feel that it was all right, after all. —
他很倾向于觉得毕竟一切都还好。 —

Yet the knowledge imparted to him by the chambermaid was rankling in his mind. —
然而, 服务员告诉他的知识让他心中感到愤懑。 —

He wanted to plunge in with a straight remark of some sort, but he knew not what.
他想要直截了当地发表某种言论,但却不知道该说什么。

“Where did you go this morning?” he finally asked weakly.
“你今天早上去了哪里?”他最终弱弱地问道。

“Why, I went for a walk,” said Carrie.
“为什么,我出去散步了,”凯丽说。

“Sure you did?” he asked.
“你确定吗?” 他问。

“Yes, what makes you ask?”
“是的,你为什么问?”

She was beginning to see now that he knew something. —
她开始意识到他知道一些事情。 —

Instantly she drew herself into a more reserved position. —
她立刻保持了更加保守的姿势。 —

Her cheeks blanched slightly.
她的脸颊微微泛白。

“I thought maybe you didn’t,” he said, beating about the bush in the most useless manner.
“我以为也许你没有去,”他用毫无作用的方式拐弯抹角地说道。

Carrie gazed at him, and as she did so her ebbing courage halted. —
凯丽注视着他,随着她这样做,她逐渐退缩的勇气停滞了。 —

She saw that he himself was hesitating, and with a woman’s intuition realised that there was no occasion for great alarm.
她看到他自己也在犹豫不决,作为一个女人的直觉让她意识到并无需要过分担忧。

“What makes you talk like that?” she asked, wrinkling her pretty forehead. —
“你为什么说那样的话?” 她皱起了漂亮的眉头。 —

“You act so funny to-night.”
“你今晚表现得很滑稽。”

“I feel funny,” he answered.
“我感觉有点奇怪,”他回答道。

They looked at one another for a moment, and then Drouet plunged desperately into his subject.
他们彼此对视了一会儿,然后德鲁埃绝望地陷入了他的话题。

“What’s this about you and Hurstwood?” he asked.
“关于你和赫斯特伍德的事情是怎么回事?”他问道。

“Me and Hurstwood – what do you mean?”
“我和赫斯特伍德 - 你是什么意思?”

“Didn’t he come here a dozen times while I was away?”
“他在我不在的时候来过这里12次?”Drouet重复道。

“A dozen times,” repeated Carrie, guiltily. “No, but what do you mean?”
露儿看着他,内心充满了负罪感。 “12次?” 提到,露儿内疚地说。“不,你是什么意思?”

“Somebody said that you went out riding with him and that he came here every night.”
“有人说你跟他出去骑马,他每晚都来这里。”

“No such thing,” answered Carrie. “It isn’t true. Who told you that?”
“没有这回事,”露儿回答道。“这不是真的。是谁告诉你的?”

She was flushing scarlet to the roots of her hair, but Drouet did not catch the full hue of her face, owing to the modified light of the room. —
她脸颊通红,直至发根,但由于房间里光线被调节过,德鲁埃没有完全看清她脸上的红晕。 —

He was regaining much confidence as Carrie defended herself with denials.
随着露儿坚决为自己辩护,德鲁埃恢复了很多信心。

“Well, some one,” he said. “You’re sure you didn’t?”
“嗯,有人告诉我的,”他说。“你确定没有?”

“Certainly,” said Carrie. “You know how often he came.”
“当然,”露儿说。“你知道他多么频繁地来。”

Drouet paused for a moment and thought.
德鲁埃停顿了一会儿,思考着。

“I know what you told me,” he said finally.
“我知道你告诉我的内容,”最终他说道。

He moved nervously about, while Carrie looked at him confusedly.
他神经质地走来走去,而卡丽困惑地看着他。

“Well, I know that I didn’t tell you any such thing as that,” said Carrie, recovering herself.
“唔,我知道我没有告诉过你这样的事情,”卡丽恢复过来说。

“If I were you,” went on Drouet, ignoring her last remark, “I wouldn’t have anything to do with him. —
“如果我是你,”德鲁埃继续说,无视她的最后一句话,”我就不会和他有任何关系。 —

He’s a married man, you know.”
你知道他是已婚的人。

“Who – who is?” said Carrie, stumbling at the word.
“谁 – 谁是?”卡丽说着,结巴了一下。

“Why, Hurstwood,” said Drouet, noting the effect and feeling that he was delivering a telling blow.
“为什么,赫斯特伍德,”德鲁埃说,注意到了他的话所产生的影响,并感觉自己这一击相当有力。

“Hurstwood!” exclaimed Carrie, rising. Her face had changed several shades since this announcement was made. —
“赫斯特伍德!”卡丽惊呼一声,站了起来。自从宣布这个消息以来,她的脸色已经变了好几个色调。 —

She looked within and without herself in a half-dazed way.
她有些迷茫地在自己内外打量了一番。

“Who told you this?” she asked, forgetting that her interest was out of order and exceedingly incriminating.
“谁告诉你的?”她问道,忘了她的兴趣是不合适的,而且非常暴露自己。

“Why, I know it. I’ve always known it,” said Drouet.
“为什么,我知道。我一直都知道,”德鲁埃说。

Carrie was feeling about for a right thought. —
卡丽正在努力寻找正确的想法。 —

She was making a most miserable showing, and yet feelings were generating within her which were anything but crumbling cowardice.
她表现得极其狼狈,但心中激起的情感却一点也不是腐朽的懦弱。

“I thought I told you,” he added.
“我记得我告诉过你,”他补充道。

“No, you didn’t,” she contradicted, suddenly recovering her voice. —
“不,你没有,”她反驳道,突然找回了自己的声音。 —

“You didn’t do anything of the kind.”
“你根本没有。”

Drouet listened to her in astonishment. This was something new.
德鲁埃听着她,感到惊讶。这是一件新事。

“I thought I did,” he said.
“我以为我做到了,”他说。

Carrie looked around her very solemnly and then went over to the window.
嘉莉非常庄重地环顾四周,然后走到窗前。

“You oughtn’t to have had anything to do with him,” said Drouet in an injured tone, “after all I’ve done for you.”
“你不应该和他有任何牵连,”德鲁埃委屈地说,“在我为你做了那么多事之后。”

“You,” said Carrie, “you! What have you done for me?”
“你,”嘉莉说,“你!你为我做了什么?”

Her little brain had been surging with contradictory feelings – shame at exposure, shame at Hurstwood’s perfidy, anger at Drouet’s deception, the mockery he had made of her. —
她小小的大脑中涌动着矛盾的情感 – 因为暴露而感到羞耻,因为赫斯特伍德的背叛而感到羞耻,因为德鲁埃的欺骗、他对她的嘲弄而感到愤怒。 —

Now one clear idea came into her head. He was at fault. There was no doubt about it. —
现在她脑中浮现了一个清晰的想法。他有错。这一点毫无疑问。 —

Why did he bring Hurstwood out – Hurstwood, a married man, and never say a word to her? —
为什么他把赫斯特伍德带出来 – 赫斯特伍德,一个已婚男子,却从未对她说过一句话? —

Never mind now about Hurstwood’s perfidy – why had he done this? Why hadn’t he warned her? —
现在不要去管赫斯特伍德的背叛了 – 他为什么这样做?为什么他不曾警告过她? —

There he stood now, guilty of this miserable breach of confidence and talking about what he had done for her!
他就站在那里,犯了这样可悲的信任破坏,并说着他为她做了什么!

“Well, I like that,” exclaimed Drouet, little realising the fire his remark had generated. —
“嗯,我喜欢这种说法,”德鲁埃喊道,他完全没有意识到他这番话所激起的怒火。 —

“I think I’ve done a good deal.”
“我认为我已经做了很多。”

“You have, eh?” she answered. “You’ve deceived me – that’s what you’ve done. —
“你做了,是吧?”她回答道。“你欺骗了我 – 那就是你做的事。 —

You’ve brought your friends out here under false pretences. —
你以虚假借口把你的朋友带到这里来。 —

You’ve made me out to be – Oh,” and with this her voice broke and she pressed her two little hands together tragically.
你已经把我描绘成了 – 哦,”说到这里,她的声音突然断了,她悲戚地双手紧握在一起。

“I don’t see what that’s got to do with it,” said the drummer quaintly.
“我看不出这跟事情有什么关系,”鼓手神秘地说道。

“No,” she answered, recovering herself and shutting her teeth. “No, of course you don’t see. —
“不,”她回答道,恢复镇定并咬紧了牙关。“不,当然你看不出。 —

There isn’t anything you see. You couldn’t have told me in the first place, could you? —
一开始你就不会告诉我,是吧? —

You had to make me out wrong until it was too late. —
你非得把我看错了,等到来不及才说。 —

Now you come sneaking around with your information and your talk about what you have done.”
现在你偷偷摸摸地拿出你的信息,谈论你所做的事。”

Drouet had never suspected this side of Carrie’s nature. —
德鲁埃特从未怀疑过凯丽性格的这一面。 —

She was alive with feeling, her eyes snapping, her lips quivering, her whole body sensible of the injury she felt, and partaking of her wrath.
她充满了感情,眼睛闪烁着,嘴唇颤抖着,整个身体都感受到她的伤害,怒火中烧。

“Who’s sneaking?” he asked, mildly conscious of error on his part, but certain that he was wronged.
“谁在偷偷摸摸?”他问道,略带错愕,但确信自己受到了冤屈。

“You are,” stamped Carrie. “You’re a horrid, conceited coward, that’s what you are. —
“就是你,”凯丽生气地说。“你真讨厌,自负胆小鬼,这就是你。 —

If you had any sense of manhood in you, you wouldn’t have thought of doing any such thing.”
如果你有一点男子气概,你就不会想过做那种事。”

The drummer stared.
鼓手瞪大了眼睛。

“I’m not a coward,” he said. “What do you mean by going with other men, anyway?”
“我不是胆小鬼,”他说。“你到底是什么意思,跟其他男人出去干嘛?”

“Other men!” exclaimed Carrie. “Other men – you know better than that. —
“其他男人!”凯丽惊叫道。“其他男人–你比谁都清楚。 —

I did go with Mr. Hurstwood, but whose fault was it? Didn’t you bring him here? —
我确实和赫斯特伍德先生一起出去过,但责任在谁?难道不是你把他带到这里来的吗? —

You told him yourself that he should come out here and take me out. —
你自己告诉他应该出来,约我出去的。” —

Now, after it’s all over, you come and tell me that I oughtn’t to go with him and that he’s a married man.”
现在,一切都结束了,你却来告诉我,我不应该和他在一起,因为他是个已婚男人。

She paused at the sound of the last two words and wrung her hands. —
她听到最后两个字停了下来,握着手发了愁。 —

The knowledge of Hurstwood’s perfidy wounded her like a knife.
对赫斯特伍德背叛的认识像刀子一样伤害了她。

“Oh,” she sobbed, repressing herself wonderfully and keeping her eyes dry. “Oh, oh!”
“噢,”她抽泣着,奇迹般地控制住自己,眼睛干燥无泪。”噢,噢!”

“Well, I didn’t think you’d be running around with him when I was away,” insisted Drouet.
“嘿,当我不在的时候,我没想到你会跟他跑来跑去,”德鲁特坚持道。

“Didn’t think!” said Carrie, now angered to the core by the man’s peculiar attitude. “Of course not. —
“没想到!”卡丽愤怒地说,如今对这个男人独特的态度感到愤怒。”当然不会。 —

You thought only of what would be to your satisfaction. —
你只想着什么对你有利。 —

You thought you’d make a toy of me – a plaything. Well, I’ll show you that you won’t. —
你想把我当玩具–一个玩物。好吧,我会让你看看你错了。 —

I’ll have nothing more to do with you at all. —
我将不再和你有任何关系。 —

You can take your old things and keep them,” and unfastening a little pin he had given her, she flung it vigorously upon the floor and began to move about as if to gather up the things which belonged to her.
你把你的旧东西拿走吧”,她解开了他送给她的一枚小别针,用力甩到地板上,开始四处走动,好像要收拾属于她的东西。

By this Drouet was not only irritated but fascinated the more. —
这样一来,德鲁特不仅感到恼火,而且更着迷。 —

He looked at her in amazement, and finally said:
他惊讶地看着她,最后说:

“I don’t see where your wrath comes in. I’ve got the right of this thing. —
“我不明白你为什么发怒。 —

You oughtn’t to have done anything that wasn’t right after all I did for you.”
我有权利做这件事。

“What have you done for me?” asked Carrie blazing, her head thrown back and her lips parted.
在我为你做的一切之后,你不应该做任何不对的事。”

“I think I’ve done a good deal,” said the drummer, looking around. —
“我觉得我已经做了很多事情,”鼓手说着,环顾四周。 —

“I’ve given you all the clothes you wanted, haven’t I? —
“你想要的衣服我都给了你,不是吗? —

I’ve taken you everywhere you wanted to go. —
去过你想去的每个地方。 —

You’ve had as much as I’ve had, and more too.”
你拥有的和我一样多,甚至更多。”

Carrie was not ungrateful, whatever else might be said of her. —
无论如何,卡丽并不是不领情的。 —

In so far as her mind could construe, she acknowledged benefits received. —
就在她的思维能力构建的程度上,她承认所受到的好处。 —

She hardly knew how to answer this, and yet her wrath was not placated. —
她几乎不知道该怎么回答这个问题,然而她的愤怒也没有被平息。 —

She felt that the drummer had injured her irreparably.
她觉得鼓手对她造成了无法挽回的伤害。

“Did I ask you to?” she returned.
“我要求你这样做了吗?”她回答说。

“Well, I did it,” said Drouet, “and you took it.”
“我做了,”德鲁埃特说,“你接受了。”

“You talk as though I had persuaded you,” answered Carrie. —
“你说得好像是我说服了你一样,”卡丽回答说。 —

“You stand there and throw up what you’ve done. I don’t want your old things. I’ll not have them. —
“你就站在那里,炫耀你所做的事情。我不想要你的旧东西。我不会要的。 —

You take them to-night and do what you please with them. —
你今晚把它们拿走,随你怎么做。 —

I’ll not stay here another minute.”
我不会在这里呆一分钟。”

“That’s nice!” he answered, becoming angered now at the sense of his own approaching loss. —
“真好!”他答道,现在愤怒于自己即将失去的感觉。 —

“Use everything and abuse me and then walk off. That’s just like a woman. —
用尽一切来虐待我,然后就走开。这就像一个女人。 —

I take you when you haven’t got anything, and then when some one else comes along, why I’m no good. —
我在你一无所有的时候接纳了你,然后当别人出现的时候,我就不好了。 —

I always thought it’d come out that way.”
我总觉得事情会变成那样的。

He felt really hurt as he thought of his treatment, and looked as if he saw no way of obtaining justice.
他对待的感觉真的很受伤,似乎找不到获得公正的方法。

“It’s not so,” said Carrie, “and I’m not going with anybody else. —
“不是这样的,”凯丽说,“我不会跟任何其他人走。” —

You have been as miserable and inconsiderate as you can be. —
你真的无情而不考虑别人。 —

I hate you, I tell you, and I wouldn’t live with you another minute. —
我恨你,我告诉你,我不愿意再和你住在一起。 —

You’re a big, insulting” – here she hesitated and used no word at all – “or you wouldn’t talk that way.”
你是个大而无礼的——这里她犹豫了一下,什么也没说——否则你不会那样说话。

She had secured her hat and jacket and slipped the latter on over her little evening dress. —
她戴上了帽子和外套,然后把后者穿在她的晚礼服上。 —

Some wisps of wavy hair had loosened from the bands at the side of her head and were straggling over her hot, red cheeks. —
一些波浪般的头发从头侧的发夹上松了出来,在她滚烫而红红的脸颊上凌乱着。 —

She was angry, mortified, grief-stricken. —
她愤怒,羞辱,悲痛。 —

Her large eyes were full of the anguish of tears, but her lids were not yet wet. —
她那双大眼睛充满了泪水的痛苦,但眼睑还没有湿润。 —

She was distracted and uncertain, deciding and doing things without an aim or conclusion, and she had not the slightest conception of how the whole difficulty would end.
她受到了困扰和不确定,做决定和行事没有目标或结论,她对整个困境的结果毫无概念。

“Well, that’s a fine finish,” said Drouet. “Pack up and pull out, eh? You take the cake. —
“唔,真是个好结局,”德鲁埃特说。“打包离开,是吧?你真是厉害。 —

I bet you were knocking around with Hurstwood or you wouldn’t act like that. —
我敢打赌你和赫斯特伍德混在一起,否则你不会那样表现。 —

I don’t want the old rooms. You needn’t pull out for me. —
我不想要旧房间。你不必为我腾出来。 —

You can have them for all I care, but b’George, you haven’t done me right.”
你可以管他们,我一点也不在乎,但是天哪,你对我不公平。

“I’ll not live with you,” said Carrie. “I don’t want to live with you. —
“我不想和你住在一起,”凯丽说。“我不想和你住在一起。” —

You’ve done nothing but brag around ever since you’ve been here.”
自你来这里以来,你除了到处吹嘘什么都没干。

“Aw, I haven’t anything of the kind,” he answered.
“啊,我一点也没有那种事,”他回答道。

Carrie walked over to the door.
凯丽走到门口。

“Where are you going?” he said, stepping over and heading her off.
“你要去哪里?”他说,走过去挡住了她。

“Let me out,” she said.
“让我出去,”她说。

“Where are you going?” he repeated.
“你要去哪里?”他重复道。

He was, above all, sympathetic, and the sight of Carrie wandering out, he knew not where, affected him, despite his grievance.
他最主要的特点是富有同情心,看到凯丽无目的地徘徊,尽管受到委屈,他还是感到被感动。

Carrie merely pulled at the door.
凯丽只是拉着门。

The strain of the situation was too much for her, however. —
然而,这种情况的压力对她来说太大了。 —

She made one more vain effort and then burst into tears.
她再次徒劳努力,然后哭了出来。

“Now, be reasonable, Cad,” said Drouet gently. “What do you want to rush out for this way? —
“现在,理智点,凯德,”德鲁特 gently。 “你为什么要这样匆忙地冲出去呢? —

You haven’t any place to go. Why not stay here now and be quiet? —
你没有地方可以去。为什么不现在就留在这里,安静点? —

I’ll not bother you. I don’t want to stay here any longer.”
我不会打扰你的。我不想再呆在这里了。”

Carrie had gone sobbing from the door to the window. She was so overcome she could not speak.
凯丽从门口抽泣到了窗户边。她如此悲伤以至于无法说话。

“Be reasonable now,” he said. “I don’t want to hold you. —
“现在要理智些,”他说。 “我不想留住你。 —

You can go if you want to, but why don’t you think it over? —
你想走就走,但为什么不考虑一下呢? —

Lord knows, I don’t want to stop you.”
天知道,我不想阻止你。”

He received no answer. Carrie was quieting, however, under the influence of his plea.
他没有得到回答。在他恳求的影响下,凯丽开始平静下来。

“You stay here now, and I’ll go,” he added at last.
“你现在留在这里,我走,”最后他补充道。

Carrie listened to this with mingled feelings. —
嘉莉听到这些话时,心情复杂。 —

Her mind was shaken loose from the little mooring of logic that it had. —
她的思绪被逻辑的小锚点摇动得晃来晃去。 —

She was stirred by this thought, angered by that – her own injustice, Hurstwood’s, Drouet’s, their respective qualities of kindness and favour, the threat of the world outside, in which she had failed once before, the impossibility of this state inside, where the chambers were no longer justly hers, the effect of the argument upon her nerves, all combined to make her a mass of jangling fibres – an anchorless, storm-beaten little craft which could do absolutely nothing but drift.
她被这个想法激起,被那个惹怒 —— 她自己的不公,赫斯特伍德的,德鲁埃的,他们各自的善良和好感,外面的世界的威胁,在那里她曾经失败过,里面这个状态的不可行,那里的房间不再公平地属于她,这些论点对她的神经产生的影响,所有这一切使她成为一团错乱的纤维 —— 一只没有锚点、被暴风袭击的小船,除了漂泊之外一无所能。

“Say,” said Drouet, coming over to her after a few moments, with a new idea, and putting his hand upon her.
“说,“德鲁埃走过来,几分钟后对她说着一个新主意,并伸出手。

“Don’t!” said Carrie, drawing away, but not removing her handkerchief from her eyes.
“别!”嘉莉说着,抽回身体,但没有从眼睛上移开手绢。

“Never mind about this quarrel now. Let it go. —
“别再想这场争吵了。就这样吧。 —

You stay here until the month’s out, anyhow, and then you can tell better what you want to do. Eh?”
至少待到月底,然后你就能更清楚地知道自己想要做什么。对吗?”

Carrie made no answer.
嘉莉没有回答。

“You’d better do that,” he said. “There’s no use your packing up now. You can’t go anywhere.”
“你最好那样做,“他说。 “你现在收拾行李也没有意义。你无法去任何地方。”

Still he got nothing for his words.
但他的话没有得到任何回应。

“If you’ll do that, we’ll call it off for the present and I’ll get out.”
“如果你愿意这样做,我们就暂时算了,我就走了.”

Carrie lowered her handkerchief slightly and looked out of the window.
嘉莉把手绢稍微放下,朝窗外看了看。

“Will you do that?” he asked.
“你会这样做吗?“他问。

Still no answer.
仍然没有回答。

“Will you?” he repeated.
“你会吗?“他重复问道。

She only looked vaguely into the street.
她只是模糊地望着街道。

“Aw! come on,” he said, “tell me. Will you?”
“噢!来吧,”他说,“告诉我。你会吗?”

“I don’t know,” said Carrie softly, forced to answer.
“我不知道,”凯丽轻声说道,被迫回答。

“Promise me you’ll do that,” he said, “and we’ll quit talking about it. —
“答应我你会这样做,”他说,“我们就不再谈论这件事了。 —

It’ll be the best thing for you.”
对你来说这会是最好的事情。”

Carrie heard him, but she could not bring herself to answer reasonably. —
凯丽听到了,但她无法 vern端 vern自己 vern合理 vern答复。 —

She felt that the man was gentle, and that his interest in her had not abated, and it made her suffer a pang of regret. —
她感觉那个男人很温柔,他对她的兴趣没有减退,这让她感到一丝遗憾。 —

She was in a most helpless plight.
她处在一个非常无助的境地。

As for Drouet, his attitude had been that of the jealous lover. —
至于德鲁埃,他的态度像是一个嫉妒的情人。 —

Now his feelings were a mixture of anger at deception, sorrow at losing Carrie, misery at being defeated. —
现在他的感受是愤怒于被欺骗,悲伤于失去凯丽,悲痛于被击败。 —

He wanted his rights in some way or other, and yet his rights included the retaining of Carrie, the making her feel her error.
他想要以某种方式获得他的权利,然而他的权利包括留住凯丽,让她感到她的错误。

“Will you?” he urged.
“你会吗?”他 urg了 vern。

“Well, I’ll see,” said Carrie.
“嗯,我看看,”凯丽说。

This left the matter as open as before, but it was something. —
这使得这个问题与之前一样不明朗,但至少有了些进展。 —

It looked as if the quarrel would blow over, if they could only get some way of talking to one another. —
看来争吵会过去,只要他们能找到一种相互交谈的方式。 —

Carrie was ashamed, and Drouet aggrieved. —
凯丽感到羞愧,德鲁埃特感到委屈。 —

He pretended to take up the task of packing some things in a valise.
他假装开始整理手提箱里的一些东西。

Now, as Carrie watched him out of the corner of her eye, certain sound thoughts came into her head. —
现在,当凯丽斜眼看着他时,某些明智的想法在她脑海中浮现。 —

He had erred, true, but what had she done? He was kindly and good-natured for all his egotism. —
他犯了错误,没错,但她又做了什么?他虽然自负,但心地善良。 —

Throughout this argument he had said nothing very harsh. —
在这场争吵中,他并没有说什么特别刺耳的话。 —

On the other hand there was Hurstwood – a greater deceiver than he. —
另一方面,赫斯伍德——比他更大的欺骗者。 —

He had pretended all this affection, all this passion, and he was lying to her all the while. —
他假装有这一切的感情、激情,却一直对她撒谎。 —

Oh, the perfidy of men! And she had loved him. There could be nothing more in that quarter. —
哎,男人的奸诈!而她竟然爱过他。在这一方面不可能再有什么了。 —

She would see Hurstwood no more. She would write him and let him know what she thought. —
她不会再去见赫斯伍德。她会写信告诉他她的想法。 —

Thereupon what would she do? Here were these rooms. Here was Drouet, pleading for her to remain. —
那么接下来她会怎么做呢?这里有这些房间。这里有德鲁埃特,请求她留下。 —

Evidently things could go on here somewhat as before, if all were arranged. —
显然,如果一切安排妥当,这里的情况可以继续下去。 —

It would be better than the street, without a place to lay her head.
这比在街上无处安放头更好。

All this she thought of as Drouet rummaged the drawers for collars and laboured long and painstakingly at finding a shirt-stud. —
德鲁埃特在抽屉里翻找领子并费尽心思地找衬衫扣时,她想到了所有这些。 —

He was in no hurry to rush this matter. He felt an attraction to Carrie which would not down. —
他对凯丽产生了无法忽视的吸引力。 —

He could not think that the thing would end by his walking out of the room. —
他无法想象这件事会以他离开房间而结束。 —

There must be some way round, some way to make her own up that he was right and she was wrong – to patch up a peace and shut out Hurstwood for ever. —
必须有某种方法,某种让她承认他是对的,她是错的 —— 和解并永远排除赫斯特伍德的方法。 —

Mercy how he turned at the man’s shameless duplicity.
看着那个人无耻的欺诈,他简直是多么生气。

“Do you think,” he said, after a few moments’ silence, “that you’ll try and get on the stage?”
“你觉得,” 他沉默了几分钟后说, “你会尝试去登台吗?”

He was wondering what she was intending.
他在想她打算做什么。

“I don’t know what I’ll do yet,” said Carrie.
“我还不知道我会做什么,” 凯丽说。

“If you do, maybe I can help you. I’ve got a lot of friends in that line.”
“如果你决定尝试,也许我可以帮你。我认识很多在这个行业的朋友。”

She made no answer to this.
她对此一言不发。

“Don’t go and try to knock around now without any money. —
“不要没有钱就四处闯荡。让我来帮你,” 他说,”在这里自己谋生并不容易。” —

Let me help you,” he said. “It’s no easy thing to go on your own hook here.”
凯丽只是在椅子上前后摇摆。

Carrie only rocked back and forth in her chair.
“我不希望你这样去应付困难的局面。”

“I don’t want you to go up against a hard game that way.”
他为一些其他细节忙碌起来,凯丽依然摇动着。

He bestirred himself about some other details and Carrie rocked on.
过了一会儿,他说: “为什么不把这件事告诉我,然后让我们把它解决掉呢? 你真的不喜欢赫斯特伍德,是吗?”

“Why don’t you tell me all about this thing,” he said, after a time, “and let’s call it off? —
凯丽只是摇着椅子,没有回答。 —

You don’t really care for Hurstwood, do you?”
“为什么你要再次提起这个?” 凯丽说: “这次是你的错。”

“Why do you want to start on that again?” said Carrie. “You were to blame.”
你真的不在乎赫斯特伍德吗?

“No, I wasn’t,” he answered.
“不,我没有,”他回答道。

“Yes, you were, too,” said Carrie. “You shouldn’t have ever told me such a story as that.”
“是的,你有,”Carrie说。“你不应该给我讲这样的故事。”

“But you didn’t have much to do with him, did you?” —
“但你跟他没怎么来往,是吧?” —

went on Drouet, anxious for his own peace of mind to get some direct denial from her.
Drouet继续说道,急于让自己内心得到直接的否认。

“I won’t talk about it,” said Carrie, pained at the quizzical turn the peace arrangement had taken.
“我不想谈这个,”Carrie说,对和平安排出现戏谑的转变感到痛苦。

“What’s the use of acting like that now, Cad?” —
“现在装什么傻,Cad?” —

insisted the drummer, stopping in his work and putting up a hand expressively. —
鼓手停下手中的工作,用手做出表达性的动作。 —

“You might let me know where I stand, at least.”
“你至少可以告诉我我的立场”,Drouet坚持道。

“I won’t,” said Carrie, feeling no refuge but in anger. “Whatever has happened is your own fault.”
“我不会告诉你,”Carrie说,感觉只有愤怒才是安慰。“无论发生了什么都是你自己的错。”

“Then you do care for him?” said Drouet, stopping completely and experiencing a rush of feeling.
“那么你是在意他?”Drouet说着,完全停下来,感受到一股冲动的情感。

“Oh, stop!” said Carrie.
“哦,别说了,”Carrie说。

“Well, I’ll not be made a fool of,” exclaimed Drouet. —
“好吧,我不想被愚弄,”Drouet大声说道。 —

“You may trifle around with him if you want to, but you can’t lead me. —
“你想跟他胡闹就去,但你不能骗我。 —

You can tell me or not, just as you want to, but I won’t fool any longer!”
你想告诉我就告诉我,不想告诉就算了,但我不会再被愚弄了!”

He shoved the last few remaining things. he had laid out into his valise and snapped it with a vengeance. —
他把最后几件整理好的东西抓起来放进手提箱,愤怒地合上拉链。 —

Then he grabbed his coat, which he had laid off to work, picked up his gloves, and started out.
然后他抓起他的外衣,把手套拿起来,开始走出去。

“You can go to the deuce as far as I am concerned,” he said, as he reached the door. —
“就我而言,你可以去见鬼,” 他说着,走到门口。 —

“I’m no sucker,” and with that he opened it with a jerk and closed it equally vigorously.
“我可不是傻瓜,” 然后他用力打开门,同样用力关闭门。

Carrie listened at her window view, more astonished than anything else at this sudden rise of passion in the drummer. —
凯丽靠在窗口听着,对鼓手这种突然的激动情绪感到很惊讶。 —

She could hardly believe her senses – so good-natured and tractable had he invariably been. —
她几乎无法相信自己的感官–他总是那么好脾气和易相处。 —

It was not for her to see the wellspring of human passion. A real flame of love is a subtle thing. —
看到人类激情的这种突然升起并不是她的本意。真正的爱情之火是微妙的东西。 —

It burns as a will-o’-the-wisp, dancing onward to fairy lands of delight. —
它像鬼魅般跳舞,前往愉悦的童话之地。 —

It roars as a furnace. Too often jealousy is the quality upon which it feeds.
它像熔炉般咆哮。太常常嫉妒是它的食粮。