Playing in New York one evening on this her return, Carrie was putting the finishing touches to her toilet before leaving for the night, when a commotion near the stage door caught her ear. —
在她返回纽约的一个晚上,Carrie正在离开之前为夜晚做最后的打扮时,一阵骚动在舞台门附近引起了她的注意。 —

It included a familiar voice.
它包括了一个熟悉的声音。

“Never mind, now. I want to see Miss Madenda.”
“别紧张,我要见Madenda小姐。

“You’ll have to send in your card.”
“你得递名片进去。

“Oh, come off! Here.”
“哦,别管那么多!给你。

A half-dollar was passed over, and now a knock came at her dressing-room door.
递过半美元,现在对着她的化妆室门敲了一下。

Carrie opened it.
Carrie打开了门。

“Well, well!” said Drouet. “I do swear! Why, how are you? —
“哎呀哎呀!”Drouet说。“我发誓!你好吗? —

I knew that was you the moment I saw you.”
我一看到你就认出来了。”

Carrie fell back a pace, expecting a most embarrassing conversation.
Carrie后退了一步,期待着一次尴尬的谈话。

“Aren’t you going to shake hands with me? Well, you’re a dandy! That’s all right, shake hands.”
“你难道不想和我握手吗?哎呀,你太棒了!好了,握手吧。”

Carrie put out her hand, smiling, if for nothing more than the man’s exuberant good-nature. —
Carrie伸出手,微笑着,或多或少因为这个男人的热情好性情。 —

Though older, he was but slightly changed. —
虽然年纪更大了,但他变化不大。 —

The same fine clothes, the same stocky body, the same rosy countenance.
同样华丽的衣服,同样结实的身材,同样红润的面容。

“That fellow at the door there didn’t want to let me in, until I paid him. —
“那个门口的家伙刚开始不让我进,直到我付了他。 —

I knew it was you, all right. Say, you’ve got a great show. You do your part fine. —
我知道是你,没错。说实话,你的表演很棒。你做得很好。 —

I knew you would. I just happened to be passing tonight and thought I’d drop in for a few minutes. —
我知道你会来的。我刚好经过,想过来坐一会儿。 —

I saw your name on the programme, but I didn’t remember it until you came on the stage. —
我在节目单上看到了你的名字,但直到你登台我才想起来。 —

Then it struck me all at once. Say, you could have knocked me down with a feather. —
突然间我恍然大悟。说实话,你真是让我大吃一惊。 —

That’s the same name you used out there in Chicago, isn’t it?”
你在芝加哥那边也用过这个名字对吧?

“Yes,” answered Carrie, mildly, overwhelmed by the man’s assurance.
是的,”嘉莉”温和地回答,被这个男人的肯定吓了一跳。

“I knew it was, the moment I saw you. Well, how have you been, anyhow?”
我一看到你就知道了。那你这些日子怎么样啊?

“Oh, very well,” said Carrie, lingering in her dressing-room. —
嗯,还不错,”嘉莉”在她的化妆室里逗留。 —

She was rather dazed by the assault. “How have you been?”
她被这种态度弄得有点迷茫。 “你这些日子都怎么样啊?”

“Me? Oh, fine. I’m here now.”
我?哦,很好。我现在在这里。

“Is that so?” said Carrie.
“是吗?”嘉莉说。

“Yes. I’ve been here for six months. I’ve got charge of a branch here.”
是的,我在这里已经有六个月了。我负责这里的一个分店。

“How nice!”
太好了!

“Well, when did you go on the stage, anyhow?” inquired Drouet.
那你到底什么时候上的台呢?道鲁特问道。

“About three years ago,” said Carrie.
大概三年前吧,”嘉莉”说道。

“You don’t say so! Well, sir, this is the first I’ve heard of it. —
“真的吗!先生,这是我第一次听到这件事。” —

I knew you would, though. I always said you could act – didn’t I?”
“我知道你会成功的。我一直说过你会成功的,对吧?”

Carrie smiled.
Carrie微笑着说道。

“Yes, you did,” she said.
“是的,你说对了。”她说。

“Well, you do look great,” he said. “I never saw anybody improve so. You’re taller, aren’t you?”
“嗯,你看起来棒极了,”他说。“我从来没有看过有谁进步这么大。你长高了,是吧?”

“Me? Oh, a little, maybe.”
“我?噢,可能有一点。”

He gazed at her dress, then at her hair, where a becoming hat was set jauntily, then into her eyes, which she took all occasion to avert. —
他盯着她的衣服看了一会儿,然后看了看她的头发,带着一顶别致的帽子,最后看向她的眼睛,而她总是避开他的目光。 —

Evidently he expected to restore their old friendship at once and without modification.
显然,他期望能马上恢复他们的旧友谊,不做任何调整。

“Well,” he said, seeing her gather up her purse, handkerchief, and the like, preparatory to departing, “I want you to come out to dinner with me; —
“好吧,”他说,看到她拿起钱包、手绢等准备离开,“我想让你跟我出去吃晚饭;你愿意吗?我这儿有个朋友。” —

won’t you? I’ve got a friend out here.”
“噢,我不能,”Carrie说。“今晚不行。明天我有个早期的约会。”

“Oh, I can’t,” said Carrie. “Not to-night. I have an early engagement to-morrow.”
“算了吧,放下那个约会。来吧。我可以把他甩掉。我想和你好好聊聊。”

“Aw, let the engagement go. Come on. I can get rid of him. I want to have a good talk with you.”
“不,不行,”Carrie说;“你别再问我了。我不想吃晚饭。”

“No, no,” said Carrie; “I can’t. You mustn’t ask me any more. I don’t care for a late dinner.”
“那好吧,就来聊聊天吧。”

“Well, come on and have a talk, then, anyhow.”
“今晚不行,”她摇着头说。“我们以后再聊吧。”

“Not to-night,” she said, shaking her head. “We’ll have a talk some other time.”
“不要吧,”她说,摇着头。“我们以后再聊天。”

As a result of this, she noticed a shade of thought pass over his face, as if he were beginning to realise that things were changed. —
因此,她注意到他脸上闪过一丝思虑的神色,仿佛他开始意识到事情已经改变了。 —

Good-nature dictated something better than this for one who had always liked her.
善良的本性决定了对一个一直喜欢她的人,应该有更好的安排。

“You come around to the hotel to-morrow,” she said, as sort of penance for error. —
“明天你过来饭店吧,”她说,有些像是为错误而做的补偿。 —

“You can take dinner with me.”
“你可以和我一起吃晚餐。”

“All right,” said Drouet, brightening. “Where are you stopping?”
“好的,” Drouet高兴地说道:”你住哪里?”

“At the Waldorf,” she answered, mentioning the fashionable hostelry then but newly erected.
“在华尔道夫饭店,”她回答道,提到那时刚刚建成的时尚旅舍。

“What time?”
“几点?”

“Well, come at three,” said Carrie, pleasantly.
“好吧,三点过来,” Carrie愉快地说道。

The next day Drouet called, but it was with no especial delight that Carrie remembered her appointment. —
第二天,Drouet打电话来了,但是Carrie仍然没有很大的兴奋感来想起她的约会。 —

However, seeing him, handsome as ever, after his kind, and most genially disposed, her doubts as to whether the dinner would be disagreeable were swept away. —
然而,看到他依然英俊迷人,总是那么友好,她对于晚餐是否令人不愉快的疑虑一扫而空。 —

He talked as volubly as ever.
他像往常一样口若悬河。

“They put on a lot of lugs here, don’t they?” was his first remark.
“这里的人特别做作,不是吗?” 他开口说道。

“Yes; they do,” said Carrie.
“是的,” Carrie回答道。

Genial egotist that he was, he went at once into a detailed account of his own career.
作为一个友好自恋的人,他立即详细叙述了自己的职业生涯。

“I’m going to have a business of my own pretty soon,” he observed in one place. —
“很快我就要创立自己的企业了,” 他在某处说道。 —

“I can get backing for two hundred thousand dollars.”
“我可以为两十万美元找到支持。”

Carrie listened most good-naturedly.
Carrie听起来心情很好。

“Say,” he said, suddenly; “where is Hurstwood now?”
“说着说着,”他突然说,”Hurstwood现在在哪里?”

Carrie flushed a little.
Carrie微微脸红。

“He’s here in New York, I guess,” she said. “I haven’t seen him for some time.”
“他在纽约,我想。”她说,”我有一段时间没见他了。”

Drouet mused for a moment. He had not been sure until now that the ex-manager was not an influential figure in the background. —
Drouet沉思了一会儿。直到现在他还不确定,这位前经理不是背后的有影响力的人物。 —

He imagined not; but this assurance relieved him. —
他想象中不是这样;但这种保证使他放心。 —

It must be that Carrie had got rid of him – as well she ought, he thought.
肯定是Carrie把他摆脱了,他想,她本该这样做。

“A man always makes a mistake when he does anything like that,” he observed.
“一个人总是犯错,当他做任何像那样的事情的时候,”他观察到。

“Like what?” said Carrie, unwitting of what was coming.
“像什么?”Carrie说,无意间表示。

“Oh, you know,” and Drouet waved her intelligence, as it were, with his hand.
“哦,你知道的,”Drouet用手挥动着示意她的理解能力。

“No, I don’t,” she answered. “What do you mean?”
“不,我不知道,”她回答说,”你是什么意思?”

“Why that affair in Chicago – the time he left.”
“为什么是在芝加哥那件事 – 他离开的时候。”

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” said Carrie. —
“我不知道你在说什么,”Carrie说。 —

Could it be he would refer so rudely to Hurstwood’s flight with her?
难道他会如此无礼地提及Hurstwood与她一起逃跑的事情?

“Oho!” said Drouet, incredulously. “You knew he took ten thousand dollars with him when he left, didn’t you?”
“哦!” Drouet怀疑地说道。”他离开时带了一万美元,你不知道吗?”

“What!” said Carrie. “You don’t mean to say he stole money, do you?”
“什么!”Carrie说道。”你不是说他偷了钱,对吧?”

“Why,” said Drouet, puzzled at her tone, “you knew that, didn’t you?”
Drouet困惑地说道:”你不是知道的吗?”

“Why, no,” said Carrie. “Of course I didn’t.”
“不,”Carrie说道。”当然不是。”

“Well, that’s funny,” said Drouet. “He did, you know. It was in all the papers.”
“哦,那很奇怪,”Drouet说道。”你知道的。这件事出现在所有的报纸上。”

“How much did you say he took?” said Carrie.
“你说他拿了多少钱?”Carrie说道。

“Ten thousand dollars. I heard he sent most of it back afterwards, though.”
“一万美元。我听说后来他大部分都还了。”

Carrie looked vacantly at the richly carpeted floor. —
Carrie茫然地看着那铺着华丽地地毯的地板。 —

A new light was shining upon all the years since her enforced flight. —
一种新的光芒照在了她被迫逃离以来的所有年份上。 —

She remembered now a hundred things that indicated as much. —
她现在想起了很多事情,都表明了这一点。 —

She also imagined that he took it on her account. —
她还想象他是为了她才拿的。 —

Instead of hatred springing up there was a kind of sorrow generated. Poor fellow! —
与其说是憎恨,这种情绪更像是一种悲伤。可怜的家伙! —

What a thing to have had hanging over his head all the time.
这么长时间一直被这样的事情困扰着,多么糟糕。

At dinner Drouet, warmed up by eating and drinking and softened in mood, fancied he was winning Carrie to her old-time good-natured regard for him. —
在晚餐时,Drouet由于吃了喝了而变得热情起来,心情也变软了,他觉得自己正在赢回Carrie原来对他的好感。 —

He began to imagine it would not be so difficult to enter into her life again, high as she was. —
他开始想像重新走进她的生活并不那么困难,尽管她地位很高。 —

Ah, what a prize! he thought. How beautiful, how elegant, how famous! —
啊,多么宝贵的奖品!他心想。多么美丽,多么优雅,多么有名! —

In her theatrical and Waldorf setting, Carrie was to him the all-desirable.
在她戏剧般的华道夫装饰中,卡丽对他来说是一切令人向往的。

“Do you remember how nervous you were that night at the Avery?” he asked.
“你还记得那天晚上在艾弗里酒吧你有多紧张吗?”他问道。

Carrie smiled to think of it.
卡丽笑着想起了那个时刻。

“I never saw anybody do better than you did then, Cad,” he added ruefully, as he leaned an elbow on the table; —
“我从来没有见过有人比你那时表现得更好,凯德,”他悲伤地补充道,一边把手肘搁在桌子上; —

“I thought you and I were going to get along fine those days.”
“那些日子我还以为你和我会相处得很好呢。”

“You mustn’t talk that way,” said Carrie, bringing in the least touch of coldness.
“你不该这样说,”卡丽带着一丝冷淡地说道。

“Won’t you let me tell you-”
“你不让我告诉你吗-”

“No,” she answered, rising. “Besides, it’s time I was getting ready for the theatre. —
“不,”她回答道,站起身来。”而且,该去准备去剧院了。 —

I’ll have to leave you. Come, now.”
我要离开你了。快来吧。”

“Oh, stay a minute,” pleaded Drouet. “You’ve got plenty of time.”
“哦,再呆一会儿吧,”德鲁埃哀求道。”你还有很多时间呢。”

“No,” said Carrie, gently.
“不,”卡丽温柔地说道。

Reluctantly Drouet gave up the bright table and followed. —
无奈地,德鲁埃放弃了明亮的桌子,跟在她身后。 —

He saw her to the elevator and, standing there, said:
他看着她坐上电梯,站在那儿说:

“When do I see you again?”
“什么时候我再见到你?”

“Oh, some time, possibly,” said Carrie. “I’ll be here all summer. Good-night!”
“可能某个时候,可能吧,”凯莉说道。“整个夏天我都会在这里。晚安!”

The elevator door was open.
电梯门已经打开了。

“Good-night!” said Drouet, as she rustled in.
“晚安!”德鲁伊特说着,她穿过了。

Then he strolled sadly down the hall, all his old longing revived, because she was now so far off. —
然后他悲伤地漫步过走廊,所有的渴望都重新燃起了,因为她现在离得太远了。 —

He thought himself hardly dealt with. Carrie, however, had other thoughts.
他觉得自己被不公平对待。不过,凯莉有着其他的想法。

That night it was that she passed Hurstwood, waiting at the Casino, without observing him.
那晚她经过赌场时,赫斯特伍德在那里等待,却没有注意到他。

The next night, walking to the theatre, she encountered him face to face. —
第二天晚上去剧院的路上,她与他正面相遇。 —

He was waiting, more gaunt than ever, determined to see her, if he had to send in word. —
他等着,比以往更憔悴,决心见到她,即使要通过传话也行。 —

At first she did not recognise the shabby, baggy figure. —
起初她没有认出这位衣衫褴褛的人。 —

He frightened her, edging so close, a seemingly hungry stranger.
他靠得那么近,看上去像个饥饿的陌生人,吓到了她。

“Carrie,” he half whispered, “can I have a few words with you?”
“凯莉,”他低声说道,“我能和你说几句话吗?”

She turned and recognised him on the instant. —
她转过头来,立刻认出了他。 —

If there ever had lurked any feeling in her heart against him, it deserted her now. —
如果她的心中曾经对他怀有任何感情,那感情现在已经消失了。 —

Still, she remembered what Drouet said about his having stolen the money.
不过,她记得德鲁伊特说他曾经偷过钱。

“Why, George,” she said; “what’s the matter with you?”
“乔治,”她说,“你怎么了?”

“I’ve been sick,” he answered. “I’ve just got out of the hospital. —
“我生病了,”他回答道。“我刚从医院出来。 —

For God’s sake, let me have a little money, will you?”
“求求你,给我一点钱,好吗?”

“Of course,” said Carrie, her lip trembling in a strong effort to maintain her composure. —
“当然,”凯丽说,她的嘴唇颤抖着,强烈努力保持镇定。 —

“But what’s the matter with you, anyhow?”
“你到底怎么了?”

She was opening her purse, and now pulled out all the bills in it – a five and two twos.
她打开皮包,然后把里面所有的钞票都拿了出来——一张五块和两张两块。

“I’ve been sick, I told you,” he said, peevishly, almost resenting her excessive pity. —
“我生病了,我告诉过你了,”他生气地说,几乎感到她过度的怜悯令他不舒服。 —

It came hard to him to receive it from such a source.
从这样的地方得到帮助对他来说很困难。

“Here,” she said. “It’s all I have with me.”
“拿着,”她说。“这些就是我随身带的全部钱。”

“All right,” he answered, softly. “I’ll give it back to you some day.”
“好的,”他柔声回答。“总有一天我会还给你的。”

Carrie looked at him, while pedestrians stared at her. —
凯丽看着他,而路人们也盯着她看。 —

She felt the strain of publicity. So did Hurstwood.
她感到了公众关注的压力。赫斯特伍德也是如此。

“Why don’t you tell me what’s the matter with you?” —
“为什么不告诉我你到底怎么了呢?” —

she asked, hardly knowing what to do. “Where are you living?”
她问道,几乎不知道该怎么办。“你住在哪里?”

“Oh, I’ve got a room down in the Bowery,” he answered. —
“哦,我在鲍里租了个房间,”他回答道。 —

“There’s no use trying to tell you here. —
“在这里说也没用。” —

I’m all right now.”
我现在没事了。

He seemed in a way to resent her kindly inquiries – so much better had fate dealt with her.
他似乎有点怨恨她的关心询问 — 命运对她如此慷慨。

“Better go on in,” he said. “I’m much obliged, but I won’t bother you any more.”
“最好还是回去吧,”他说。”非常感谢,但我不会再打扰你了。”

She tried to answer, but he turned away and shuffled off toward the east.
她试图回答,但他转身朝东边走去。

For days this apparition was a drag on her soul before it began to wear partially away. —
几天来,这个幻影令她的心灵沉重,直到开始逐渐消退。 —

Drouet called again, but now he was not even seen by her. —
德鲁埃再次打电话,但现在她甚至都没有见到他。 —

His attentions seemed out of place.
他的关注似乎很不合时宜。

“I’m out,” was her reply to the boy.
“我不在家,”她对男孩说。

So peculiar, indeed, was her lonely, self-withdrawing temper, that she was becoming an interesting figure in the public eye – she was so quiet and reserved.
她那种孤独、自我排斥的性情实在太过奇特,使她在公众视野中变得有趣 — 她如此安静而内敛。

Not long after the management decided to transfer the show to London. —
后来,管理层决定把演出调到伦敦。 —

A second summer season did not seem to promise well here.
第二个夏季的表演在这里似乎并不十分成功。

“How would you like to try subduing London?” asked her manager, one afternoon.
“你想尝试征服伦敦吗?“一个下午,她的经理问道。

“It might be just the other way,” said Carrie.
“也许恰恰相反,”凯里说。

“I think we’ll go in June,” he answered.
“我们可能会在六月份去,”他回答。

In the hurry of departure, Hurstwood was forgotten. —
匆忙离开时,海斯伍德被遗忘了。 —

Both he and Drouet were left to discover that she was gone. —
他和德鲁埃特都被迫发现她已经离去。 —

The latter called once, and exclaimed at the news. —
后者打过一次电话,听到消息后惊呼不已。 —

Then he stood in the lobby, chewing the ends of his moustache. —
然后他站在大堂里,咬着胡须的尖端。 —

At last he reached a conclusion – the old days had gone for good.
最后他得出一个结论–那些过去的日子已经一去不复返了。

“She isn’t so much,” he said; but in his heart of hearts he did not believe this.
“她并没有那么重要,“他说;但在他的内心深处,他并不相信这个说法。

Hurstwood shifted by curious means through a long summer and fall. —
赫斯特伍德通过奇怪的手段度过了一个漫长的夏秋。 —

A small job as janitor of a dance hall helped him for a month. —
担任一个舞厅看门人的小工作帮助他度过了一个月。 —

Begging, sometimes going hungry, sometimes sleeping in the park, carried him over more days. —
乞讨,有时挨饿,有时露宿公园,让他度过了更多的日子。 —

Resorting to those peculiar charities, several of which, in the press of hungry search, he accidentally stumbled upon, did the rest. —
在搜索中偶然发现了几个特殊的慈善机构,为他提供了最后的帮助。 —

Toward the dead of winter, Carrie came back, appearing on Broadway in a new play; —
严寒的冬季快到时,凯丽回来了,在百老汇的一部新剧中亮相; —

but he was not aware of it. For weeks he wandered about the city, begging, while the fire sign, announcing her engagement, blazed nightly upon the crowded street of amusements. —
但他却没有察觉。几周来,他在城市里到处流浪,乞讨,而火红的招牌每晚在熙熙攘攘的娱乐街上宣告着她的约会。 —

Drouet saw it, but did not venture in.
德鲁埃特看到了,但并没有冒险进去。

About this time Ames returned to New York. He had made a little success in the West, and now opened a laboratory in Wooster Street. —
大约在这个时候,阿姆斯回到了纽约。他在西部小有成就,现在在伍斯特街开设了一个实验室。 —

Of course, he encountered Carrie through Mrs. Vance; but there was nothing responsive between them. —
当然,他通过范斯夫人认识了凯丽;但他们之间并没有任何回应。 —

He thought she was still united to Hurstwood, until otherwise informed. —
他认为她仍与赫斯特伍德在一起,直到另有通知。 —

Not knowing the facts then, he did not profess to understand, and refrained from comment.
不了解事实,他没有自称理解,也避免发表评论。

With Mrs. Vance, he saw the new play, and expressed himself accordingly.
与范斯夫人一起看了新剧,然后表达了自己的看法。

“She ought not to be in comedy,” he said. “I think she could do better than that.”
“她不该演喜剧,”他说。“我觉得她可以做得更好。”

One afternoon they met at the Vances’ accidentally, and began a very friendly conversation. —
一个下午,他们在范斯家无意中碰面,开始了一次友好的对话。 —

She could hardly tell why the one-time keen interest in him was no longer with her. —
她几乎说不清楚,为什么那时对他的浓厚兴趣已经消失了。 —

Unquestionably, it was because at that time he had represented something which she did not have; —
无疑是因为那时他代表了一些她没有的东西; —

but this she did not understand. Success had given her the momentary feeling that she was now blessed with much of which he would approve. —
但她不明白。成功给她带来了一时的感觉,认为她现在拥有了他会赞成的许多东西。 —

As a matter of fact, her little newspaper fame was nothing at all to him. He thought she could have done better, by far.
实际上,她那点小报纸上的名声对他来说算不了什么。他觉得她本可以做得更好。

“You didn’t go into comedy-drama, after all?” —
“最终你没进入喜剧剧情领域?” —

he said, remembering her interest in that form of art.
他说,记得她对那种艺术形式的兴趣。

“No,” she answered; “I haven’t, so far.”
“没有,”她回答。“至今还没有。”

He looked at her in such a peculiar way that she realised she had failed. —
他以一种特殊的方式看着她,让她意识到自己失败了。 —

It moved her to add: “I want to, though.”
这促使她补充说:“但我想进入。”

“I should think you would,” he said. “You have the sort of disposition that would do well in comedy-drama.”
“我想你会的,”他说。“你有那种在喜剧剧情中表现得很好的性格。”

It surprised her that he should speak of disposition. Was she, then, so clearly in his mind?
他提到性格让她感到惊讶。那么,难道她在他心中如此明显吗?

“Why?” she asked.
“为什么?”她问道。

“Well,” he said, “I should judge you were rather sympathetic in your nature.”
“嗯,”他说,“我觉得你的性格相当善解人意。”

Carrie smiled and coloured slightly. He was so innocently frank with her that she drew nearer in friendship. —
Carrie微笑着脸微红。他对她如此天真率真,使她更加靠近友谊。 —

The old call of the ideal was sounding.
理想的呼唤声在响起。

“I don’t know,” she answered, pleased, nevertheless, beyond all concealment.
“我不知道,”她回答道,尽管高兴地无法掩饰。

“I saw your play,” he remarked. “It’s very good.”
“我看过你的戏,”他说。“非常好。”

“I’m glad you liked it.”
“我很高兴你喜欢。”

“Very good, indeed,” he said, “for a comedy.”
“真的很好,”他说,“作为一部喜剧。”

This is all that was said at the time, owing to an interruption, but later they met again. —
由于一次打断,这就是当时说的全部,但后来他们再次见面了。 —

He was sitting in a corner after dinner, staring at the floor, when Carrie came up with another of the guests. —
晚饭后,他坐在角落里凝视地板,Carrie和另一位客人走过来。 —

Hard work had given his face the look of one who is weary. —
辛苦工作使他的脸看起来很疲倦。 —

It was not for Carrie to know the thing in it which appealed to her.
Carrie不知道他的脸上哪一点吸引了她。

“All alone?” she said.
“一个人吗?”她说。

“I was listening to the music.”
“我在听音乐。”

“I’ll be back in a moment,” said her companion, who saw nothing in the inventor.
“我马上就回来,”她陪着的那位客人说,看不出对发明家有任何兴趣。

Now he looked up in her face, for she was standing a moment, while he sat.
现在他抬起头来看着她的脸,因为她站了一会儿,而他坐着。

“Isn’t that a pathetic strain?” he inquired, listening.
“这不是一段悲壮的旋律吗?”他询问道,倾听着。

“Oh, very,” she returned, also catching it, now that her attention was called.
“噢,非常悲壮,“她回答道,现在她的注意力被吸引了。

“Sit down,” he added, offering her the chair beside him.
“坐下吧,“他说,递给她身边的椅子。

They listened a few moments in silence, touched by the same feeling, only hers reached her through the heart. —
他们沉默地听了一会儿,被同样的感触打动着,只不过她的感觉是从心底传达过来的。 —

Music still charmed her as in the old days.
音乐仍然像往昔一样迷倒她。

“I don’t know what it is about music,” she started to say, moved by the inexplicable longings which surged within her; —
“我不知道音乐有什么吸引人之处,“她开始说,被内心涌动的莫名劲引动; —

“but it always makes me feel as if I wanted something – I-”
“但它总是让我觉得我想要什么——我-”

“Yes,” he replied; “I know how you feel.”
“是的,“他回答道;”我知道你的感受。”

Suddenly he turned to considering the peculiarity of her disposition, expressing her feelings so frankly.
突然,他开始考虑她性格的特殊之处,因为她能如此坦率地表达她的感受。

“You ought not to be melancholy,” he said.
“你不应该忧郁,“他说。

He thought a while, and then went off into a seemingly alien observation which, however, accorded with their feelings.
他想了一会儿,然后突然转向一个似乎与他们的感受契合的观察。

“The world is full of desirable situations, but, unfortunately, we can occupy but one at a time. —
“世界充满了令人向往的境地,但不幸的是,我们只能占据其中一个。 —

It doesn’t do us any good to wring our hands over the far-off things.”
徒劳地为遥远的事物而悲叹,并没有什么好处。”

The music ceased and he arose, taking a standing position before her, as if to rest himself.
音乐停止了,他站起身来,站在她面前,似乎是为了休息。

“Why don’t you get into some good, strong comedy-drama?” he said. —
“为什么不试试一些优秀的、充满搞笑元素的喜剧剧情片呢?”他说。 —

He was looking directly at her now, studying her face. —
他现在直视着她,仔细观察着她的脸庞。 —

Her large, sympathetic eyes and pain-touched mouth appealed to him as proofs of his judgment.
她那双大大的、充满同情的眼睛和带着痛苦印记的嘴唇让他觉得自己的判断是正确的。

“Perhaps I shall,” she returned.
“也许我会的,”她回答道。

“That’s your field,” he added.
“那是你的领域,”他补充说。

“Do you think so?”
“你这样认为吗?”

“Yes,” he said; “I do. I don’t suppose you’re aware of it, but there is something about your eyes and mouth which fits you for that sort of work.”
“是的,”他说,“我认为是的。我想你可能没有意识到,但你的眼睛和嘴适合那种工作。”

Carrie thrilled to be taken so seriously. —
卡丽激动得不知所措,竟然被别人如此认真地看待。 —

For the moment, loneliness deserted her. —
一时间,孤独消失了。 —

Here was praise which was keen and analytical.
这是一种敏锐而具有分析性的赞扬。

“It’s in your eyes and mouth,” he went on abstractedly. —
“这就是你的眼睛和嘴,”他心不在焉地说道。 —

“I remember thinking, the first time I saw you, that there was something peculiar about your mouth. —
“我记得第一次见你时,觉得你的嘴好像有些奇怪。 —

I thought you were about to cry.”
我还以为你快哭了。”

“How odd,” said Carrie, warm with delight. This was what her heart craved.
“多么奇怪,”卡丽充满喜悦地说道。这正是她内心所渴望的。

“Then I noticed that that was your natural look, and to-night I saw it again. —
“然后我注意到,这就是你的自然表情,今晚我又看到了。” —

There’s a shadow about your eyes, too, which gives your face much this same character. —
你眼睛周围有一抹阴影,给你的脸增添了同样的特点。 —

It’s in the depth of them, I think.”
这种特点我觉得是源于你眼睛的深度。”

Carrie looked straight into his face, wholly aroused.
嘉莉直直地看着他的脸,完全被唤起。

“You probably are not aware of it,” he added.
“你可能没有意识到,”他补充道。

She looked away, pleased that he should speak thus, longing to be equal to this feeling written upon her countenance. —
她转过头去,他能这样说让她很高兴,渴望能够表现出自己脸上的这种感觉。 —

It unlocked the door to a new desire.
它打开了一个新的欲望之门。

She had cause to ponder over this until they met again – several weeks or more. —
她必须反复思考这件事,直到他们再次见面——几周甚至更久。 —

It showed her she was drifting away from the old ideal which had filled her in the dressing-rooms of the Avery stage and thereafter, for a long time. —
这让她意识到自己正在逐渐远离曾经充满她的旧理想,梦幻般的艾弗里舞台和此后之事。 —

Why had she lost it?
为什么她会失去它呢?

“I know why you should be a success,” he said, another time, “if you had a more dramatic part. —
“我知道为什么你会成功,”他又说,“如果你有一个更戏剧性的角色。 —

I’ve studied it out-”
我已经研究过了-”

“What is it?” said Carrie.
“是什么?”嘉莉问道。

“Well,” he said, as one pleased with a puzzle, “the expression in your face is one that comes out in different things. —
“嗯,”他说,像一个对谜题感到高兴的人,“你脸上的表情在不同事物中都会显现出来。 —

You get the same thing in a pathetic song, or any picture which moves you deeply. —
当你听一个悲伤的歌曲,或者看到深深触动你的图片时,你都会收获同样的情感。 —

It’s a thing the world likes to see, because it’s a natural expression of its longing.”
这是世界喜欢看到的东西,因为它是它渴望的自然表达。”

Carrie gazed without exactly getting the import of what he meant.
凯丽凝视着他,却并没有完全理解他的意思。

“The world is always struggling to express itself,” he went on. —
“世界总是在努力表达自己,” 他接着说道。 —

“Most people are not capable of voicing their feelings. They depend upon others. —
“大多数人无法表达他们的感情。他们依赖他人。 —

That is what genius is for. One man expresses their desires for them in music; —
这就是天才存在的意义。一个人以音乐表达他们的欲望; —

another one in poetry; another one in a play. —
另一个人以诗歌表达;另一个以戏剧表达。 —

Sometimes nature does it in a face – it makes the face representative of all desire. —
有时大自然则在一个面孔中表达 – 使这张脸代表所有欲望。 —

That’s what has happened in your case.”
那就发生在你身上了。

He looked at her with so much of the import of the thing in his eyes that she caught it. —
他用眼神看着她,透露出那个意义,她也领会到了。 —

At least, she got the idea that her look was something which represented the world’s longing. —
至少,她明白了她的眼神是代表了世界的渴望。 —

She took it to heart as a creditable thing, until he added:
她将其视为值得称赞的事情,直到他补充道:

“That puts a burden of duty on you. It so happens that you have this thing. —
“这给你带来了一种责任。若干你们拥有这个天赋。 —

It is no credit to you – that is, I mean, you might not have had it. —
那并不是你的功劳 – 我的意思是,你本来可能没有这个能力。 —

You paid nothing to get it. But now that you have it, you must do something with it.”
你没有付出任何代价来拥有它。但既然你有了,你就必须做点什么。”

“What?” asked Carrie.
“做什么?” 凯丽问道。

“I should say, turn to the dramatic field. —
“我想,转向戏剧领域。” —

You have so much sympathy and such a melodious voice. —
你有如此多的同情心和如此悦耳的声音。 —

Make them valuable to others. It will make your powers endure.”
让它们对他人有价值。这将使你的力量持久。

Carrie did not understand this last. All her comedy success was little or nothing.
Carrie并不理解最后一句话。所有她的喜剧成功都是微不足道的。

“What do you mean?” she asked.
“你是什么意思?” 她问道。

“Why, just this. You have this quality in your eyes and mouth and in your nature. —
“为什么,就是这个。你的眼睛、嘴巴和本性中都有这种品质。 —

You can lose it, you know. If you turn away from it and live to satisfy yourself alone, it will go fast enough. —
你知道,你可能会失去它。如果你转身并活在只满足自己的生活中,它就会很快消失。 —

The look will leave your eyes. Your mouth will change. Your power to act will disappear. —
那种神采将离开你的眼睛。你的嘴巴会变化。你的行动力会消失。 —

You may think they won’t, but they will. —
你可能会以为它们不会,但它们会。 —

Nature takes care of that.”
大自然会照料那些事情的。”

He was so interested in forwarding all good causes that he sometimes became enthusiastic, giving vent to these preachments. —
他对推动所有良好事业都如此感兴趣,以至于有时变得兴奋,倾注这些说教。 —

Something in Carrie appealed to him. He wanted to stir her up.
Carrie的某些地方吸引了他。他想激励她。

“I know,” she said, absently, feeling slightly guilty of neglect.
“我知道,” 她漫不经心地说,感到稍微有些疏忽感。

“If I were you,” he said, “I’d change.”
“如果我是你,” 他说, “我会改变的。”

The effect of this was like roiling helpless waters. —
这种效果就像无助的搅动水。 —

Carrie troubled over it in her rocking-chair for days.
Carrie在摇椅上为此烦恼了几天。

“I don’t believe I’ll stay in comedy so very much longer,” she eventually remarked to Lola.
她最终对洛拉说道:“我想我不会再在喜剧界待很久了。”

“Oh, why not?” said the latter.
“哦,为什么?”后者问道。

“I think,” she said, “I can do better in a serious play.”
“我觉得,”她说道,“我在一部严肃的戏剧中表现会更好。”

“What put that idea in your head?”
“是什么让你有了这个想法?”

“Oh, nothing,” she answered; “I’ve always thought so.”
“哦,没什么,”她回答道,“我一直都是这么想的。”

Still, she did nothing – grieving. It was a long way to this better thing – or seemed so – and comfort was about her; —
然而,她什么都没做 —— 感到悲伤。到更好的境地还有很远的路要走 —— 或者看起来是这样 —— 周围有安慰; —

hence the inactivity and longing.
因此,她在一动不动中,渴望着。