the little prince and the narrator talk about sunsets
小王子和叙述者谈论夕阳。

Oh, little prince! Bit by bit I came to understand the secrets of your sad little life.
哦,小王子!渐渐地,我开始理解你那悲伤的小生活的秘密。 —

.. For a long time you had found your only entertainment in the quiet pleasure of looking at the sunset.
…很长一段时间以来,你唯一的娱乐就是安静地欣赏日落的乐趣。 —

I learned that new detail on the morning of the fourth day, when you said to me:
在第四天的早晨,当你对我说:

“I am very fond of sunsets. Come, let us go look at a sunset now.”
“我非常喜欢日落。来,让我们去看日落。”

“But we must wait,” I said.
“但是我们必须等待,”我说。

“Wait? For what?”
“等待?等待什么?”

“For the sunset. We must wait until it is time.”
“等待日落。我们必须等到合适的时候。”

At first you seemed to be very much surprised.
起初你似乎非常惊讶。 —

And then you laughed to yourself.
然后你自言自语地笑了起来。 —

You said to me:
对我说:

“I am always thinking that I am at home!”
“我总是觉得我在家里!”

Just so. Everybody knows that when it is noon in the United States the sun is setting over France.
是的,每个人都知道当美国是正午时,法国的太阳正在西落。

If you could fly to France in one minute, you could go straight into the sunset, right from noon. Unfortunately, France is too far away for that.
如果你能在一分钟内飞到法国,你就能从中午直接走进日落。不幸的是,法国离这儿太远了。 —

But on your tiny planet, my little prince, all you need do is move your chair a few steps.
但是在你的小星球上,我的小王子,你只需要挪动一下你的椅子。 —

You can see the day end and the twilight falling whenever you like.
无论你什么时候愿意,都可以看到白天结束,黄昏降临…… “有一天, —

.. “One day,” you said to me, “I saw the sunset forty-four times!”
”你对我说,“我看到了四十四次日落!”

And a little later you added:
稍后你又补充道:

“You know– one loves the sunset, when one is so sad…”
“你知道吗——当一个人难过时,他就会喜欢日落……”

“Were you so sad, then?” I asked, “on the day of the forty-four sunsets?”
“那你当时很难过吗?” 我问,“在那四十四次日落的那一天?”

But the little prince made no reply.
但小王子没有回答。