IT was not until the next Friday that Marilla heard the story of the flower-wreathed hat. —
直到下一个星期五,玛丽拉才听说了围着花环的帽子的故事。 —

She came home from Mrs. Lynde’s and called Anne to account.
她从林德夫人那回家,责备起安妮来。

“Anne, Mrs. Rachel says you went to church last Sunday with your hat rigged out ridiculous with roses and buttercups. —
“安妮,拉切尔夫人说上个星期天你戴着帽子,上面插满了玫瑰和金凤花去了教堂。 —

What on earth put you up to such a caper? —
你到底是被什么逼得干出这种怪事呢? —

A pretty-looking object you must have been!”
你看上去简直是个滑稽的东西!”

“Oh. I know pink and yellow aren’t becoming to me,” began Anne.
“哦,我知道粉色和黄色不适合我。”安妮开始辩解。

“Becoming fiddlesticks! It was putting flowers on your hat at all, no matter what color they were, that was ridiculous. —
“适合个头儿!在帽子上插花才荒唐,无论花的颜色如何,那才是荒唐之举。 —

You are the most aggravating child!”
你真是个让人生气的孩子!”

“I don’t see why it’s any more ridiculous to wear flowers on your hat than on your dress,” protested Anne. “Lots of little girls there had bouquets pinned on their dresses. —
“我不明白为什么在帽子上插花比在裙子上插花更荒谬,”安妮抗议道。“那里很多小女孩都把花束别在裙子上。 —

What’s the difference?”
有什么区别?”

Marilla was not to be drawn from the safe concrete into dubious paths of the abstract.
马丽拉不愿从稳妥的具体事务中转入模糊不清的抽象领域。

“Don’t answer me back like that, Anne. It was very silly of you to do such a thing. —
“不要这样顶嘴,安妮。你这么做太愚蠢了。 —

Never let me catch you at such a trick again. —
千万别让我再看见你这么胡闹。 —

Mrs. Rachel says she thought she would sink through the floor when she saw you come in all rigged out like that. —
拉切尔夫人说她看到你那样装扮进来简直恨不得立刻钻地下去。 —

She couldn’t get near enough to tell you to take them off till it was too late. —
她根本靠近不了你,没法及时告诉你把花摘掉了。 —

She says people talked about it something dreadful. —
她说人们对此议论纷纷。 —

Of course they would think I had no better sense than to let you go decked out like that.”
他们肯定会认为我没有比让你这样穿得像个小丑更好的判断力。”

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” said Anne, tears welling into her eyes. “I never thought you’d mind. —
“哦,对不起,”安妮说,眼泪涌入她的眼睛。“我从没想到你会介意。 —

The roses and buttercups were so sweet and pretty I thought they’d look lovely on my hat. —
玫瑰和黄花那么香甜漂亮,我觉得它们戴在我的帽子上会很漂亮。 —

Lots of the little girls had artificial flowers on their hats. —
很多小女孩的帽子上都带着人造花。 —

I’m afraid I’m going to be a dreadful trial to you. —
我怕我会给你带来很大的麻烦。 —

Maybe you’d better send me back to the asylum. That would be terrible; —
也许你最好把我送回收容所去。那太可怕了; —

I don’t think I could endure it; most likely I would go into consumption; —
我不认为我能忍受;很可能我会得结核病; —

I’m so thin as it is, you see. But that would be better than being a trial to you.”
我已经太瘦了,你看。但那总比给你添麻烦要强。

“Nonsense,” said Marilla, vexed at herself for having made the child cry. —
“胡说八道,”玛丽拉生气地对自己让这孩子哭笑不得。 —

“I don’t want to send you back to the asylum, I’m sure. —
“我不想让你回收容所,我相信。 —

All I want is that you should behave like other little girls and not make yourself ridiculous. —
我只想让你像其他小女孩一样行为,不要让自己看起来荒唐可笑。 —

Don’t cry any more. I’ve got some news for you. Diana Barry came home this afternoon. —
不要再哭了。我有个消息告诉你。戴安娜·巴里今天下午回家了。 —

I’m going up to see if I can borrow a skirt pattern from Mrs. Barry, and if you like you can come with me and get acquainted with Diana.”
我要去看看能不能向巴里夫人借一套裙子的图案,如果你愿意,你可以跟我一起去,和戴安娜熟悉一下。”

Anne rose to her feet, with clasped hands, the tears still glistening on her cheeks; —
安妮站起身来,双手紧握,泪水仍在她的脸上闪闪发亮; —

the dish towel she had been hemming slipped unheeded to the floor.
她一直在缝制的抹布毫无意识地滑落到地板上。

“Oh, Marilla, I’m frightened—now that it has come I’m actually frightened. —
“哦,玛丽拉,我害怕了——现在它已经发生我实际上变得害怕了。 —

What if she shouldn’t like me! It would be the most tragical disappointment of my life.”
如果她不喜欢我怎么办!那将是我一生中最悲剧性的失望。”

“Now, don’t get into a fluster. And I do wish you wouldn’t use such long words. —
“现在,别慌张。我真希望你别用这么长的单词。 —

It sounds so funny in a little girl. I guess Diana ‘ll like you well enough. —
一个小女孩说这样的话听起来真滑稽。我猜黛安娜会喜欢你的。 —

It’s her mother you’ve got to reckon with. —
你要考虑的是她妈妈。 —

If she doesn’t like you it won’t matter how much Diana does. —
如果她不喜欢你,黛安娜再喜欢你也没用。 —

If she has heard about your outburst to Mrs. Lynde and going to church with buttercups round your hat I don’t know what she’ll think of you. —
如果她听说你跟琳德夫人发生过口角,还带着帽子上教堂时插着黄色的毛茛,我不知道她会怎么看待你。 —

You must be polite and well behaved, and don’t make any of your startling speeches. —
你必须有礼貌举止得当,不要说出那些惊人的话。 —

For pity’s sake, if the child isn’t actually trembling!”
看在仁慈份上,孩子难道不会发抖吗!”

Anne was trembling. Her face was pale and tense.
安妮在发抖。她的脸苍白而紧绷。

“Oh, Marilla, you’d be excited, too, if you were going to meet a little girl you hoped to be your bosom friend and whose mother mightn’t like you,” she said as she hastened to get her hat.
“哦,玛丽拉,如果你要去见一个你希望成为知心朋友并且她的母亲可能不喜欢你的小女孩,你也会兴奋的,”她边说边匆匆戴上帽子。

They went over to Orchard Slope by the short cut across the brook and up the firry hill grove. —
她们沿着小溪穿过,穿过杉树丛,走到了果园坡。 —

Mrs. Barry came to the kitchen door in answer to Marilla’s knock. —
玛丽拉敲门时,巴里太太来到厨房门口。 —

She was a tall black-eyed, black-haired woman, with a very resolute mouth. —
她是个黑眼睁开的、黑发的高个子女人,嘴巴非常坚毅。 —

She had the reputation of being very strict with her children.
她以对孩子们非常严格的名声而闻名。

“How do you do, Marilla?” she said cordially. “Come in. —
“玛丽拉,你好吗?”她友善地说道。“请进。 —

And this is the little girl you have adopted, I suppose?”
“我想这是你所收养的小女孩,对吗?”

“Yes, this is Anne Shirley,” said Marilla.
“是的,这是安妮·雪莉,”玛丽拉说。

“Spelled with an E,” gasped Anne, who, tremulous and excited as she was, was determined there should be no misunderstanding on that important point.
“拼写带有E,”安妮喘着气说道,虽然她颤抖兴奋,但她决心不让这一重要点混淆。

Mrs. Barry, not hearing or not comprehending, merely shook hands and said kindly:
巴里太太没听见或者没理解,只是握着手,友好地说道:

“How are you?”
“你好吗?”

“I am well in body although considerable rumpled up in spirit, thank you ma’am,” said Anne gravely. —
“我身体健康,尽管精神上有些乱糟糟的,谢谢夫人,”安妮庄重地说道。 —

Then aside to Marilla in an audible whisper, “There wasn’t anything startling in that, was there, Marilla?”
然后悄声对玛丽拉说道:“这没什么特别的,对吧,玛丽拉?”

Diana was sitting on the sofa, reading a book which she dropped when the callers entered. —
黛安娜坐在沙发上,看着一本书,当客人进来时,书掉了下来。 —

She was a very pretty little girl, with her mother’s black eyes and hair, and rosy cheeks, and the merry expression which was her inheritance from her father.
她是一个非常漂亮的小女孩,有着母亲的黑眼睛和黑头发,还有红润的脸颊以及她从父亲那里继承的快乐表情。

“This is my little girl Diana,” said Mrs. Barry. “Diana, you might take Anne out into the garden and show her your flowers. —
“这是我的小女儿黛安娜,”巴里太太说。“黛安娜,你可以带安妮到花园里,向她展示你的花朵。 —

It will be better for you than straining your eyes over that book. —
对你会比盯着书更好。 —

She reads entirely too much—” this to Marilla as the little girls went out—“and I can’t prevent her, for her father aids and abets her. —
她读书读得太多了——”对玛丽拉说到——“我无法阻止她,因为她父亲支持她。 —

She’s always poring over a book. I’m glad she has the prospect of a playmate—perhaps it will take her more out-of-doors.”
她总是埋头在书上。我很高兴她有了一个玩伴——也许这会让她更多地出门。”

Outside in the garden, which was full of mellow sunset light streaming through the dark old firs to the west of it, stood Anne and Diana, gazing bashfully at each other over a clump of gorgeous tiger lilies.
在花园外面,夕阳的柔和光线透过西面的黑色老枞树流淌进来,安妮和黛安娜站在那里,害羞地凝视着彼此,身后是一丛绚丽的虎纹百合。

The Barry garden was a bowery wilderness of flowers which would have delighted Anne’s heart at any time less fraught with destiny. —
巴里花园是一片花的丛林,不过若非时运神神秘莫测,安妮的心本会因此而快乐。 —

It was encircled by huge old willows and tall firs, beneath which flourished flowers that loved the shade. —
这个花园被巨大的古老柳树和高大的枞树环绕,茂盛的花朵在这些树荫下茁壮生长。 —

Prim, right-angled paths neatly bordered with clamshells, intersected it like moist red ribbons and in the beds between old-fashioned flowers ran riot. —
整齐的直角路径被贝壳镶边,像湿润的红色丝带一样交错其间,而古老的花朵在花床间盛放。 —

There were rosy bleeding-hearts and great splendid crimson peonies; —
那里有粉红色的荷包牡丹和鲜艳的绯红色牡丹; —

white, fragrant narcissi and thorny, sweet Scotch roses; —
白色芬芳的水仙和带刺的香甜苏格兰玫瑰; —

pink and blue and white columbines and lilac-tinted Bouncing Bets; —
粉蓝白色的耧斗菜和淡紫色的甜罐楼; —

clumps of southernwood and ribbon grass and mint; —
大丛的藨草和丝带草和薄荷; —

purple Adam-and-Eve, daffodils, and masses of sweet clover white with its delicate, fragrant, feathery sprays; —
紫色情侣花、水仙和大片带着淡淡香气的洁白、细腻的三叶草; —

scarlet lightning that shot its fiery lances over prim white musk-flowers; —
赤红的闪电激起火焰般的枪形花朵,掠过优雅的白色麝香花; —

a garden it was where sunshine lingered and bees hummed, and winds, beguiled into loitering, purred and rustled.
这是一个阳光停歇、蜜蜂嗡鸣、被拐骗成徘徊、猫儿般咕噜声的花园。

“Oh, Diana,” said Anne at last, clasping her hands and speaking almost in a whisper, “oh, do you think you can like me a little—enough to be my bosom friend?”
“哦,黛安娜,”最终,安妮双手合十,几乎小声说道,“哦,你觉得你可以一点点地喜欢我吗——喜欢到足以成为我心腹的朋友吗?”

Diana laughed. Diana always laughed before she spoke.
黛安娜笑了。黛安娜总是在说话之前先笑一笑。

“Why, I guess so,” she said frankly. “I’m awfully glad you’ve come to live at Green Gables. It will be jolly to have somebody to play with. —
“为什么,我想应该会的,”她坦率地说,“你来住在翡翠谷我真的很高兴。有个可以一起玩的人会很有趣的。 —

There isn’t any other girl who lives near enough to play with, and I’ve no sisters big enough.”
没有其他女孩住得离我们够近可以一起玩,而我也没有大一点的姐妹。”

“Will you swear to be my friend forever and ever?” demanded Anne eagerly.
“你愿意发誓成为我的朋友,直到永远吗?”安妮急切地要求道。

Diana looked shocked.
黛安娜看起来震惊。

“Why it’s dreadfully wicked to swear,” she said rebukingly.
“发誓是极其邪恶的行为,”她责备地说。

“Oh no, not my kind of swearing. There are two kinds, you know.”
“哦不,不是那种发誓。你知道有两种发誓的方式。”

“I never heard of but one kind,” said Diana doubtfully.
“我只听说过一种,”黛安娜犹豫地说。

“There really is another. Oh, it isn’t wicked at all. —
“真的有另一种。哦,并不邪恶。 —

It just means vowing and promising solemnly.”
这只是一种庄严许诺。”安妮认真地说。

“Well, I don’t mind doing that,” agreed Diana, relieved. “How do you do it?”
“我不介意这样做,”黛安娜感到宽慰。“怎么做?”

“We must join hands—so,” said Anne gravely. “It ought to be over running water. —
“我们要手牵手——就像这样,”安妮庄重地说。“最好在流水之上。 —

We’ll just imagine this path is running water. I’ll repeat the oath first. —
我们就把这条小路想象成流水吧。我先重复誓言。 —

I solemnly swear to be faithful to my bosom friend, Diana Barry, as long as the sun and moon shall endure. —
我郑重发誓,要对我的挚友黛安娜·巴里忠诚,直到太阳和月亮存在。 —

Now you say it and put my name in.”
现在轮到你了,把我的名字填进去。”

Diana repeated the “oath” with a laugh fore and aft. Then she said:
黛安娜笑着前后重复了“誓言”。然后她说:

“You’re a queer girl, Anne. I heard before that you were queer. —
“你是个古怪的女孩,安妮。我以前听说过你很古怪。 —

But I believe I’m going to like you real well.”
但我觉得我会真心喜欢你。”

When Marilla and Anne went home Diana went with them as far as the log bridge. —
当玛丽拉和安妮回家时,黛安娜陪她们一直走到原木桥处。 —

The two little girls walked with their arms about each other. —
两个小女孩手挽着手臂走着。 —

At the brook they parted with many promises to spend the next afternoon together.
在小溪边,她们告别时承诺下午一起度过。

“Well, did you find Diana a kindred spirit? —
“那么,你觉得黛安娜是一个灵魂伴侣吗?” —

” asked Marilla as they went up through the garden of Green Gables.
当他们穿过格林故事屋的花园时,玛丽拉问道。

“Oh yes,” sighed Anne, blissfully unconscious of any sarcasm on Marilla’s part. —
“哦,是的”,安妮叹着气说,完全没有察觉玛丽拉话中的讽刺。 —

“Oh Marilla, I’m the happiest girl on Prince Edward Island this very moment. —
“哦玛丽拉,我现在就是爱德华王子岛上最幸福的女孩。” —

I assure you I’ll say my prayers with a right good-will tonight. —
我保证今晚祷告时一定会真诚地祈祷。 —

Diana and I are going to build a playhouse in Mr. William Bell’s birch grove tomorrow. —
黛安娜和我明天要在威廉·贝尔先生的桦树林里建造一个游戏屋。 —

Can I have those broken pieces of china that are out in the woodshed? —
我能拿到那些摔碎的瓷器碎片吗?在木棚里的那些。 —

Diana’s birthday is in February and mine is in March. Don’t you think that is a very strange coincidence? —
黛安娜的生日是在二月,我的是在三月。你不觉得这是一个非常奇怪的巧合吗? —

Diana is going to lend me a book to read. —
黛安娜要借给我一本书看。 —

She says it’s perfectly splendid and tremendously exciting. —
她说这本书非常精彩,令人激动。 —

She’s going to show me a place back in the woods where rice lilies grow. —
她要带我去树林深处一处长满粳米百合花的地方。 —

Don’t you think Diana has got very soulful eyes? I wish I had soulful eyes. —
你不觉得黛安娜的眼睛很有灵性吗?我也希望拥有灵性的眼睛。 —

Diana is going to teach me to sing a song called ‘Nelly in the Hazel Dell.’ She’s going to give me a picture to put up in my room; —
黛安娜要教我唱一首叫做“Nelly in the Hazel Dell”的歌。她要给我一幅画挂在我的房间里; —

it’s a perfectly beautiful picture, she says—a lovely lady in a pale blue silk dress. —
她说这是一幅完美的美丽画作——一位穿着淡蓝丝绸连衣裙的可爱女士。 —

A sewing-machine agent gave it to her. I wish I had something to give Diana. I’m an inch taller than Diana, but she is ever so much fatter; —
一个缝纫机推销员送给她的。我希望我也有东西可以送给黛安娜。我比黛安娜高一英寸,但她胖了很多; —

she says she’d like to be thin because it’s so much more graceful, but I’m afraid she only said it to soothe my feelings. —
她说她想要变瘦因为这样更优雅,不过我担心她只是为了安慰我的感受才这么说的。 —

We’re going to the shore some day to gather shells. —
我们某天要去海边收集贝壳。 —

We have agreed to call the spring down by the log bridge the Dryad’s Bubble. —
我们已经同意把木桥旁边的泉水称为山林仙子之泡泡。 —

Isn’t that a perfectly elegant name? I read a story once about a spring called that. —
这不是一个非常优雅的名字吗?我曾经读过一个关于这样一个泉水的故事。 —

A dryad is sort of a grown-up fairy, I think.”
森林精灵有点像是成年的仙女,我觉得。”

“Well, all I hope is you won’t talk Diana to death,” said Marilla. —
“嘿,我只希望你别把黛安娜说得精疲力尽,”玛丽拉说。 —

“But remember this in all your planning, Anne. You’re not going to play all the time nor most of it. —
“但无论何时记住这一点,安妮。你不能一直玩,也不能大部分时间都在玩。 —

You’ll have your work to do and it’ll have to be done first.”
你有自己的工作要做,而且必须先把它做完。”

Anne’s cup of happiness was full, and Matthew caused it to overflow. —
安妮的幸福之杯已满,而马修让它溢出。 —

He had just got home from a trip to the store at Carmody, and he sheepishly produced a small parcel from his pocket and handed it to Anne, with a deprecatory look at Marilla.
他刚刚从卡莫迪的商店回家,有些胆怯地从口袋里掏出一小包东西递给安妮,带着向玛丽拉求饶的神情。

“I heard you say you liked chocolate sweeties, so I got you some,” he said.
“我听你说你喜欢吃巧克力糖果,所以我给你买了一些,”他说。

“Humph,” sniffed Marilla. “It’ll ruin her teeth and stomach. —
“哼,”玛丽拉哼了一声。“会毁了你的牙齿和胃。 —

There, there, child, don’t look so dismal. —
好了,好了,孩子,别看起来那么沮丧。 —

You can eat those, since Matthew has gone and got them. He’d better have brought you peppermints. —
既然马修给你买了,你可以吃,他倒不如给你买薄荷糖。 —

They’re wholesomer. Don’t sicken yourself eating all them at once now.”
它们更健康。现在不要一口气吃光了吧。”

“Oh, no, indeed, I won’t,” said Anne eagerly. “I’ll just eat one tonight, Marilla. —
“哦,不,我绝对不会的,”安妮急切地说。“今晚我只吃一颗,玛丽拉。 —

And I can give Diana half of them, can’t I? —
我可以把另一半给黛安娜吗? —

The other half will taste twice as sweet to me if I give some to her. —
如果我给她一些,剩下的一半对我来说会尝起来更甜蜜。 —

It’s delightful to think I have something to give her.”
想到我有东西能给她,真是太令人高兴了。”

“I will say it for the child,” said Marilla when Anne had gone to her gable, “she isn’t stingy. —
“我来替这孩子说句话吧,”安妮走向她的屋顶时,玛丽拉说,“她可不小气。” —

I’m glad, for of all faults I detest stinginess in a child. —
我很高兴,因为我最讨厌孩子小气了。 —

Dear me, it’s only three weeks since she came, and it seems as if she’d been here always. —
天啊,她来了才三周,感觉就好像她一直在这儿。 —

I can’t imagine the place without her. Now, don’t be looking I told-you-so, Matthew. —
我无法想象没有她的这个地方。现在,不要一副自以为是的样子,马修。 —

That’s bad enough in a woman, but it isn’t to be endured in a man. —
一个女人那样已经够糟糕了,但男人可不能忍受。 —

I’m perfectly willing to own up that I’m glad I consented to keep the child and that I’m getting fond of her, but don’t you rub it in, Matthew Cuthbert.”
“我完全愿意承认我很高兴同意留下这个孩子,我也开始喜欢她了,但你可别拿这事刺激我,马修·卡思伯特。”