“My father has gone,” thought Eugenie, who heard all that took place from the head of the stairs. Silence was restored in the house, and the distant rumbling of the carriage, ceasing by degrees, no longer echoed through the sleeping town. —
尤金妮心想:“我父亲走了。”她从楼梯上听到了一切。房子里恢复了寂静,马车渐渐停止,不再在沉睡的小镇上回荡。 —

At this moment Eugenie heard in her heart, before the sound caught her ears, a cry which pierced the partitions and came from her cousin’s chamber. —
就在这时,尤金妮在心里听到了一声尖叫,声音传入她的耳朵之前就穿透了隔断,来自她表妹的房间。 —

A line of light, thin as the blade of a sabre, shone through a chink in the door and fell horizontally on the balusters of the rotten staircase.
一线光线,像刀刃一样细,透过门缝照在烂木楼梯的扶手上。

“He suffers!” she said, springing up the stairs. —
“他在受苦!”她说着,飞奔上楼梯。 —

A second moan brought her to the landing near his room. The door was ajar, she pushed it open. —
第二声呻吟使她到达了靠近他房间的楼梯平台。门半开着,她推开了门。 —

Charles was sleeping; his head hung over the side of the old armchair, and his hand, from which the pen had fallen, nearly touched the floor. —
查尔斯正在睡觉;他的头悬在旧扶手椅的一侧,手里掉下的钢笔几乎碰到地板了。 —

The oppressed breathing caused by the strained posture suddenly frightened Eugenie, who entered the room hastily.
因为不舒服的姿势而导致的压抑的呼吸突然吓到了尤金妮,她迅速进入房间。

“He must be very tired,” she said to herself, glancing at a dozen letters lying sealed upon the table. —
“他一定非常疲惫”,她自言自语,看着桌子上的一打密封好的信件。 —

She read their addresses: “To Messrs. Farry, Breilmann, & Co., carriage-makers”; —
她读着它们的收件人:“给法里、布雷尔曼公司的费里先生,马车制造商”; —

“To Monsieur Buisson, tailor,” etc.
“给布伊松先生,裁缝”等等。

“He has been settling all his affairs, so as to leave France at once,” she thought. —
“他正在处理所有他的事务,以便立即离开法国”,她心想。 —

Her eyes fell upon two open letters. The words, “My dear Annette,” at the head of one of them, blinded her for a moment. —
她的目光落在两封已拆开的信上。其中一封信头写着“我亲爱的安妮特”,一时间让她目眩。 —

Her heart beat fast, her feet were nailed to the floor.
她的心怦怦直跳,她的脚钉在地板上。

“His dear Annette! He loves! he is loved! No hope! What does he say to her?”
“他亲爱的安妮特!他在恋爱!他被爱!没有希望!他对她说了什么?”

These thoughts rushed through her head and heart. —
这些想法涌入她的心头。 —

She saw the words everywhere, even on the bricks of the floor, in letters of fire.
她随处可见这些字眼,甚至是在地板的砖上,用火焰般的字母写着。

“Resign him already? No, no! I will not read the letter. —
“已经辞退他了吗?不,不!我不会读这封信。 —

I ought to go away—What if I do read it?”
我应该离开—如果我真的读了它呢?”

She looked at Charles, then she gently took his head and placed it against the back of the chair; —
她看着查理斯,然后轻轻地把他的头靠在椅子靠背上; —

he let her do so, like a child which, though asleep, knows its mother’s touch and receives, without awaking, her kisses and watchful care. —
他让她这样做,像睡着的孩子一样,知道母亲的触摸并接受她的亲吻和关切,不会醒来。 —

Like a mother Eugenie raised the drooping hand, and like a mother she gently kissed the chestnut hair—“Dear Annette! —
像一位母亲一样,尤金妮抬起那颓废的手,像一位母亲一样轻轻亲吻着栗色的头发—“亲爱的安妮特! —

” a demon shrieked the words in her ear.
一个恶魔在她耳边尖叫着这些话。

“I am doing wrong; but I must read it, that letter,” she said. —
“我正在做错事;但我必须读这封信,那封信,”她说。 —

She turned away her head, for her noble sense of honor reproached her. —
她扭过头去,因为她崇高的荣誉感责备着她。 —

For the first time in her life good and evil struggled together in her heart. —
在她一生中,好与坏首次在她心中争斗。 —

Up to that moment she had never had to blush for any action. Passion and curiosity triumphed. —
直到那一刻,她从未为任何行为感到羞愧。激情和好奇心战胜了一切。 —

As she read each sentence her heart swelled more and more, and the keen glow which filled her being as she did so, only made the joys of first love still more precious.
随着她阅读每句话,她的心越发地肿胀,而这种刺骨的激情填满了她的存在,只让初恋的欢乐变得更加珍贵。

My dear Annette,—Nothing could ever have separated us but the
亲爱的安妮特,—没有什么能够让我们分开,除了

great misfortune which has now overwhelmed me, and which no human
现在压垮我的这场巨大的不幸,这是任何人类

foresight could have prevented. My father has killed himself; his
预见都无法阻止的。我父亲自杀了;他的

fortune and mine are irretrievably lost. I am orphaned at an age
财富和我的命运都已经无法挽回。我在年幼的时候变成孤儿;

when, through the nature of my education, I am still a child; and
然而,由于我所接受的教育,我仍然是个孩子;和

yet I must lift myself as a man out of the abyss into which I am
我必须像个男人一样从我跌入的深渊中挣扎出来。我刚刚度过了半个晚上来面对自己的处境。

plunged. I have just spent half the night in facing my position.
如果我想离开法国成为一个诚实的人,——这一点是毫无疑问的,——我手头没有一百法郎来用于在印度或美洲尝试我的命运。

If I wish to leave France an honest man,—and there is no doubt of
是的,我亲爱的安娜,我必须寻找一种谋生的方法。

that,—I have not a hundred francs of my own with which to try my
在那里,我有希望重获尊严和自由,而不是在这片土地上被世俗的耻辱贬低。

fate in the Indies or in America. Yes, my poor Anna, I must seek
我将离开,并在彼此相隔半个地球之遥的另一个大陆上重建我已失去的所有。

my fortune in those deadly climates. Under those skies, they tell
在那些致命的气候中我的财富。 在那些天空下,他们告诉我,

me, I am sure to make it. As for remaining in Paris, I cannot do
我一定会成功。 至于留在巴黎,我无法做到

so. Neither my nature nor my face are made to bear the affronts,
这样。 我的本性和我的面容都不能承受侮辱,

the neglect, the disdain shown to a ruined man, the son of a
忽视,对一个破产男子,一个

bankrupt! Good God! think of owing two millions! I should be
破产者的儿子显露的蔑视! 天啊! 想想欠两百万! 我会

killed in a duel the first week; therefore I shall not return
在第一周就被打死;因此我不会返回

there. Your love—the most tender and devoted love which ever
那里。 你的爱—有史以来最温柔、最忠诚的爱。

ennobled the heart of man—cannot draw me back. Alas! my beloved,
贵我人心,再不能拉我回头。唉!我可爱的,

I have no money with which to go to you, to give and receive a
我没有钱去找你,无法进行最后的吻别,

last kiss from which I might derive some strength for my forlorn
从而获得一些力量,继续孤冷的事业。

enterprise.
“可怜的查尔斯!我该把信读了。我有金子;

“Poor Charles! I did well to read the letter. I have gold; —
我会给他的,”尤金妮想道。 —

I will give it to him,” thought Eugenie.
她擦干眼泪,继续阅读。

She wiped her eyes, and went on reading.
我从未想过贫困带来的痛苦。如果我有

I have never thought of the miseries of poverty. If I have the
这次旅程所需的一百卢易,我没有任何零花钱。

hundred louis required for the mere costs of the journey, I have
但不,我连一卢易都没有。我不知道在还清我

not a sou for an outfit. But no, I have not the hundred louis, not
在巴黎的债务后,是否还剩下什么。如果我一无所有,

even one louis. I don’t know that anything will be left after I
我会安静地去南特,当一名普通水手;我会像其他

have paid my debts in Paris. If I have nothing, I shall go quietly
年轻时一文不值、却返乡时带回印度财富的男人一样

to Nantes and ship as a common sailor; and I will begin in the new
在这个新世界开始。这长长的一天里,

world like other men who have started young without a sou and
我已经做了长途旅行,如同另一些

brought back the wealth of the Indies. During this long day I have
年轻时一无所有、却回来时带回印度财富的人一样。

faced my future coolly. It seems more horrible for me than for
我冷静地面对着我的未来。对我来说,这似乎比其他人更可怕,

another, because I have been so petted by a mother who adored me,
因为我被深爱的母亲宠爱着,

so indulged by the kindest of fathers, so blessed by meeting, on
父亲宠爱着,“我乐于遇见生命之初,

my entrance into life, with the love of an Anna! The flowers of
安娜之爱!生活的花朵是我唯一所知道的。这样的幸福是无法持续的。

life are all I have ever known. Such happiness could not last.
尽管如此,我亲爱的安妮特,我感到比一个无忧无虑的年轻人应有的勇气更多,-尤其是一个习惯于

Nevertheless, my dear Annette, I feel more courage than a careless
年轻人所应有的勇气,

young man is supposed to feel,—above all a young man used to the
-尤其是一个习惯于。

caressing ways of the dearest woman in all Paris, cradled in
在巴黎最亲爱的女人温柔的拥抱方式下,躺在…

family joys, on whom all things smiled in his home, whose wishes
家庭的欢乐,一切在他家里都微笑着,他母亲的愿望…

were a law to his father—oh, my father! Annette, he is dead!
是他父亲的一道法律——哦,我的父亲!安妮特,他去世了!

Well, I have thought over my position, and yours as well. I have
好吧,我已经考虑过我的处境,以及你的处境。我已

grown old in twenty-four hours. Dear Anna, if in order to keep me
在二十四小时内变老了。亲爱的安娜,如果为了让我

with you in Paris you were to sacrifice your luxury, your dress,
和你一起留在巴黎,你不得不牺牲你的奢侈,你的服饰,

your opera-box, we should even then not have enough for the
你的歌剧包厢,我们甚至也不足以…

expenses of my extravagant ways of living. Besides, I would never
我铺张奢侈的生活方式的费用。此外,我绝对不会

accept such sacrifices. No, we must part now and forever—
接受这样的牺牲。不,我们现在必须永别—

“He gives her up! Blessed Virgin! What happiness!”
“他放弃了她!圣母!多么幸福!”

Eugenie quivered with joy. Charles made a movement, and a chill of terror ran through her. —
尤琴尼喜极而泣。查尔斯动了一下,她感到一阵恐怖。 —

Fortunately, he did not wake, and she resumed her reading.
幸运的是,他没有醒来,她继续阅读。

When shall I return? I do not know. The climate of the West Indies
我何时会回去?我不知道。据说,西印度群岛的气候

ages a European, so they say; especially a European who works
会让一个欧洲人衰老,特别是一个辛勤工作的欧洲人

hard. Let us think what may happen ten years hence. In ten years
十年后会发生什么?十年后

your daughter will be eighteen; she will be your companion, your
你的女儿将满十八岁;她将成为你的伴侣,你的

spy. To you society will be cruel, and your daughter perhaps more
手足。对你来说,社会将会残酷,而你的女儿也许会更

cruel still. We have seen cases of the harsh social judgment and
残酷。我们已经见过社会的严格裁判以及

ingratitude of daughters; let us take warning by them. Keep in the
女儿的忘恩负义的例子;我们要引以为戒。记住

depths of your soul, as I shall in mine, the memory of four years
幸福的四年,珍藏在心灵深处,如同我所做的一样,

of happiness, and be faithful, if you can, to the memory of your
珍惜你可怜的朋友的记忆,如果你能的话。我无法要求

poor friend. I cannot exact such faithfulness, because, do you
你如此忠诚,因为,你可以的,所以,你可以。

see, dear Annette, I must conform to the exigencies of my new
看啊,亲爱的安妮特,我必须顺应我新生活的需要;

life; I must take a commonplace view of them and do the best I
我必须采取一种平凡的观点,并尽我所能。

can. Therefore I must think of marriage, which becomes one of the
因此,我必须考虑婚姻,它将成为我的一个必要选择。

necessities of my future existence; and I will admit to you that I
我未来生活所需的必需品;我得承认,在索米尔,我发现了一个堂兄,他的面容、举止、思维和心灵都会让你喜欢,此外,他还给我—

have found, here in Saumur, in my uncle’s house, a cousin whose
“他一定非常疲倦才停止给她写信,”尤金妮想,她凝视着那封在最后一句中突然中止的信。

face, manners, mind, and heart would please you, and who, besides,
她已经在为他辩护。一个无辜的女孩怎么可能察觉到这封信所显示的冷漠呢?

seems to me—
对于那些受到严格宗教教育并且纯洁无知的年轻女孩来说,自从他们踏进那种激情的神奇领域开始,一切都充满了爱。

“He must have been very weary to have ceased writing to her,” thought Eugenie, as she gazed at the letter which stopped abruptly in the middle of the last sentence.
他们在那里散步,沐浴在来自自己灵魂的一道神圣光芒中,这光芒照射在他们的爱人身上;

Already she defended him. How was it possible that an innocent girl should perceive the cold-heartedness evinced by this letter? —
他们把一切都染上了自己情感的火焰,并赋予他们最崇高的思想。 —

To young girls religiously brought up, whose minds are ignorant and pure, all is love from the moment they set their feet within the enchanted regions of that passion. —
女人的错误几乎总是源自对善的信念或对真理的信任。 —

They walk there bathed in a celestial light shed from their own souls, which reflects its rays upon their lover; —
尤金妮朴实的心中,“亲爱的安妮特,我所爱的人”这几个词好似爱的最甜美的语言在回响; —

they color all with the flame of their own emotion and attribute to him their highest thoughts. —
它们抚慰了她的灵魂,就像在童年时,管风琴反复演奏的神圣的“Come, let us adore,” 在她耳边轻抚。 —

A woman’s errors come almost always from her belief in good or her confidence in truth. —
此外,年轻人眼角仍残留的泪滴显示了那种能够征服年轻女孩的高尚心灵。 —

In Eugenie’s simple heart the words, “My dear Annette, my loved one,” echoed like the sweetest language of love; —
她怎么会知道,尽管查尔斯爱他的父亲并真诚地为他哀悼,但更让他感动的是父亲的慈祥而不是他自己心灵的善意? —

they caressed her soul as, in childhood, the divine notes of the Venite adoremus, repeated by the organ, caressed her ear. —
关氏大德的吉约姆先生和夫人,通过满足儿子的每一个幻想,并在他身上浪费大笔财产享受,使他没有做那些致使许多巴黎儿子在面对世界的享乐时,因必须等待或搁置父母的存活而变得多多少少有罪感的可怕算计。 —

Moreover, the tears which still lingered on the young man’s lashes gave signs of that nobility of heart by which young girls are rightly won. —
至于对于哥爷的慈爱,世人不应该责怪,感情从来没有订出法规,无助并且趋近于悲伤或者不幸的人,名义上没本金,利息清零,做交易都和投机有细微的区别。 —

How could she know that Charles, though he loved his father and mourned him truly, was moved far more by paternal goodness than by the goodness of his own heart? —
她听说父亲已返来,有一丝好感涌上心头。她意识到,回家后她就会回避比前丈夫更尴尬的处境,心中只有恋人的思虑。她将为了回避父亲的排斥而不愿道歉。 —

Monsieur and Madame Guillaume Grandet, by gratifying every fancy of their son, and lavishing upon him the pleasures of a large fortune, had kept him from making the horrible calculations of which so many sons in Paris become more or less guilty when, face to face with the enjoyments of the world, they form desires and conceive schemes which they see with bitterness must be put off or laid aside during the lifetime of their parents. —
她伤心欲绝,真诚地为此跪在祖母面前,展望这次冲突带给她的一切快乐隐患。 —

The liberality of the father in this instance had shed into the heart of the son a real love, in which there was no afterthought of self-interest.
在这种情况下,父亲的慷慨无私已经让儿子的心中充满了真正的爱,其中没有任何自私的考虑。

Nevertheless, Charles was a true child of Paris, taught by the customs of society and by Annette herself to calculate everything; —
然而,查尔斯是巴黎的真正子弟,被社会习俗和安妮特本人教导去计算一切; —

already an old man under the mask of youth. —
在青年的面具下已是一个老人。 —

He had gone through the frightful education of social life, of that world where in one evening more crimes are committed in thought and speech than justice ever punishes at the assizes; —
他经历过社会生活的可怕磨炼,在那个世界里,在一个晚上里思想和言语中所犯下的罪行比法庭上的审判所惩罚的更多; —

where jests and clever sayings assassinate the noblest ideas; —
在那里,笑话和智慧的言辞杀死了最高尚的思想; —

where no one is counted strong unless his mind sees clear: —
在那个世界里,除非一个人的思想清晰,否则他就不被视为坚强: —

and to see clear in that world is to believe in nothing, neither in feelings, nor in men, nor even in events,—for events are falsified. —
而在那个世界里,要看清楚就意味着不相信任何事物,不相信感情、人,甚至不相信事件—因为事件是被篡改的。 —

There, to “see clear” we must weigh a friend’s purse daily, learn how to keep ourselves adroitly on the top of the wave, cautiously admire nothing, neither works of art nor glorious actions, and remember that self-interest is the mainspring of all things here below. —
为了“看清楚”,我们必须每天称量一个朋友的钱包,学会如何巧妙地站在浪尖,谨慎地不去钦佩任何事物,无论是艺术作品还是光荣的行为,并记住自私自利是这个世界上所有事物的主要动力。 —

After committing many follies, the great lady—the beautiful Annette—compelled Charles to think seriously; —
在犯下许多愚蠢之后,美丽的安妮特大妈迫使查尔斯认真思考; —

with her perfumed hand among his curls, she talked to him of his future position; —
当她的香水手指拨弄着他的卷发时,她谈论着他未来的地位; —

as she rearranged his locks, she taught him lessons of worldly prudence; —
当她重新整理他的头发时,她教给他世俗智慧的课程; —

she made him effeminate and materialized him,—a double corruption, but a delicate and elegant corruption, in the best taste.
她让他变得软弱和物质化,——一种双重腐化,但是一种精致和优雅的腐化,品味很好。

“You are very foolish, Charles,” she would say to him. —
“你很愚蠢,查尔斯,”她常对他说。 —

“I shall have a great deal of trouble in teaching you to understand the world. —
“我要费很多力气才能教你懂得这个世界。 —

You behaved extremely ill to Monsieur des Lupeaulx. I know very well he is not an honorable man; —
你对德·吕佩尔先生的行为极为不当。我知道他并不是一个可敬的人; —

but wait till he is no longer in power, then you may despise him as much as you like. —
但等到他不再掌权,那时你可以尽情蔑视他。 —

Do you know what Madame Campan used to tell us? —
你知道卡潘夫人曾经告诉我们什么吗? —

—‘My dears, as long as a man is a minister, adore him; —
—‘亲爱的,只要一个人是大臣,你们就要崇拜他; —

when he falls, help to drag him in the gutter. Powerful, he is a sort of god; —
当他倒台时,帮助将他拖进下水道。权贵时,他是一种神明; —

fallen, he is lower than Marat in the sewer, because he is living, and Marat is dead. —
跌落时,他比下水道里的马拉更低贱,因为他还活着,而马拉已经死了。 —

Life is a series of combinations, and you must study them and understand them if you want to keep yourselves always in good position.’”
生活就是一系列组合,你们必须学习并理解这些组合,如果想永远保持良好的地位。”

Charles was too much a man of the world, his parents had made him too happy, he had received too much adulation in society, to be possessed of noble sentiments. —
查尔斯太过于世故,他的父母让他太幸福,他在社交场合受到太多奉承,以至于缺乏高尚的情感。 —

The grain of gold dropped by his mother into his heart was beaten thin in the smithy of Parisian society; —
他母亲在他心中撒下的一粒金子,在巴黎社会的铁匠铺里被锤打得又薄又脆; —

he had spread it superficially, and it was worn away by the friction of life. —
他把它铺得表面光滑,然而被生活的摩擦所磨损。 —

Charles was only twenty-one years old. At that age the freshness of youth seems inseparable from candor and sincerity of soul. —
查尔斯只有二十一岁。在这个年龄,青春的新鲜似乎与灵魂的坦诚和真诚联系在一起。 —

The voice, the glance, the face itself, seem in harmony with the feelings; —
声音,眼神,甚至脸庞本身,似乎都与感情协调一致; —

and thus it happens that the sternest judge, the most sceptical lawyer, the least complying of usurers, always hesitate to admit decrepitude of heart or the corruption of worldly calculation while the eyes are still bathed in purity and no wrinkles seam the brow. —
因此,严厉的法官,怀疑论者,最不让步的高利贷者,在眼神仍然洁净、额头没有皱纹的时候总是犹豫不决,不愿承认心灵的老化或世俗算计的腐化。 —

Charles, so far, had had no occasion to apply the maxims of Parisian morality; —
到目前为止,查尔斯还没有必要应用巴黎道德的格言; —

up to this time he was still endowed with the beauty of inexperience. —
直到此时,他仍然保留着经验不足的美貌。 —

And yet, unknown to himself, he had been inoculated with selfishness. —
然而,未察觉地,他已被自私心所侵染。 —

The germs of Parisian political economy, latent in his heart, would assuredly burst forth, sooner or later, whenever the careless spectator became an actor in the drama of real life.
深藏在他心中的巴黎政治经济学的种子,必定会在不久的将来爆发,当这个漫不经心的旁观者变成现实生活戏剧的演员时。

Nearly all young girls succumb to the tender promises such an outward appearance seems to offer: —
几乎所有的年轻女孩都会屈服于这种外表似乎提供的温柔承诺: —

even if Eugenie had been as prudent and observing as provincial girls are often found to be, she was not likely to distrust her cousin when his manners, words, and actions were still in unison with the aspirations of a youthful heart. —
即使尤金妮像省城女孩经常被发现的那样谨慎和观察力强,她也不太可能不信任她的表弟,当他的举止、言辞和行动仍然与年轻心灵的期望相一致时。 —

A mere chance—a fatal chance—threw in her way the last effusions of real feeling which stirred the young man’s soul; —
一次偶然——一次致命的偶然——使她得以看到这个年轻人灵魂里最后的真情流露; —

she heard as it were the last breathings of his conscience. —
她听到了他的良心最后的呼吸。 —

She laid down the letter—to her so full of love—and began smilingly to watch her sleeping cousin; —
她放下了充满爱意的信件,笑着看着睡着的表弟; —

the fresh illusions of life were still, for her at least, upon his face; —
生活的新鲜幻想仍然, 至少对她来说,显示在他的脸上; —

she vowed to herself to love him always. —
她发誓要永远爱他。 —

Then she cast her eyes on the other letter, without attaching much importance to this second indiscretion; —
然后她看了另一封信,对这第二次的过失并不太在意; —

and though she read it, it was only to obtain new proofs of the noble qualities which, like all women, she attributed to the man her heart had chosen.
尽管她读了,但只是为了获得新的证据,证明她心目中选择的男人拥有的高贵品质,就像所有女人一样。

My dear Alphonse,—When you receive this letter I shall be without
亲爱的阿方斯,当你收到这封信的时候,我将孤身一人,

friends; but let me assure you that while I doubt the friendship
但让我向你保证,虽然我对世界的友谊存疑,

of the world, I have never doubted yours. I beg you therefore to
我从未怀疑过你的友谊。因此,我恳请你

settle all my affairs, and I trust to you to get as much as you
处理我的一切事务,我相信你能尽力争取

can out of my possessions. By this time you know my situation. I
从我的财产中获得尽可能多的利益。此时,你应该知道我的处境。

have nothing left, and I intend to go at once to the Indies. I
我一无所有,打算立刻前往印度。我

have just written to all the people to whom I think I owe money,
刚给我认为欠钱的所有人写了信,

and you will find enclosed a list of their names, as correct as I
请找到附上的名单,我尽力从记忆中将它们写对。我的书籍、家具、图片、马匹等,我觉得应该用来偿还我的债务。

can make it from memory. My books, my furniture, my pictures, my
我不希望只是因为我在偏远地方居住而被视为无法支付债务。我的名字以及信用记录应该足以证明我是一个可靠的债务人。

horses, etc., ought, I think, to pay my debts. I do not wish to
我希望我的遗产能够清楚地记录下来,以便我的债务能够得到妥善解决。我对我的债务负有责任,我会确保它们得到清偿。

keep anything, except, perhaps, a few baubles which might serve as
保留任何东西,除了也许一些可能用作

the beginning of an outfit for my enterprise. My dear Alphonse, I
我企业开始的服饰。我亲爱的阿方索,

will send you a proper power of attorney under which you can make
我会给你一份正式的授权书,你可以在根据这份授权书进行

these sales. Send me all my weapons. Keep Briton for yourself;
这些销售。把我所有的武器寄给我。把布利顿留给你;

nobody would pay the value of that noble beast, and I would rather
没有人会为那头高贵的兽支付价值,我宁愿

give him to you—like a mourning-ring bequeathed by a dying man to
把它送给你—就像一个临终的人把悼念戒指遗赠给

his executor. Farry, Breilmann, & Co. built me a very comfortable
他的遗嘱执行人。法雷、布赖尔曼公司为我建造了一个非常舒适的

travelling-carriage, which they have not yet delivered; persuade
1、 他们还没有交付的旅行马车;说服他们

them to keep it and not ask for any payment on it. If they refuse,
2、 让他们留下它,不要要求任何支付。如果他们拒绝,

do what you can in the matter, and avoid everything that might
3、 尽力而为,在这件事情上避免任何可能

seem dishonorable in me under my present circumstances. I owe the
4、 在我目前的处境下看起来不光彩的行为。我欠英国人岛屿的六路易,我在牌局中输掉了;不要忘记

British Islander six louis, which I lost at cards; don’t fail to
5、 偿还给他—

pay him—
6、 亲爱的表姐!”尤金妮轻声低语着,放下信件,轻轻跑回自己的房间,拿着一支点着的蜡烛。

“Dear cousin!” whispered Eugenie, throwing down the letter and running softly back to her room, carrying one of the lighted candles. —
7、 她打开了一个古老橡木柜的抽屉,这是文艺复兴时期的一个典范,上面依然可以看到部分已经模糊的著名的皇家蜥蜴。 —

A thrill of pleasure passed over her as she opened the drawer of an old oak cabinet, a fine specimen of the period called the Renaissance, on which could still be seen, partly effaced, the famous royal salamander. —
8、 她从抽屉里拿出了一个红色天鹅绒的大钱包,镀金流苏,镶着一个被磨损的金线流苏-这是她从祖母那里继承下来的遗物。 —

She took from the drawer a large purse of red velvet with gold tassels, edged with a tarnished fringe of gold wire,—a relic inherited from her grandmother. —
9、 她自豪地用手称量着它,开始愉快地数起她小小秘藏中被遗忘的物品。 —

She weighed it proudly in her hand, and began with delight to count over the forgotten items of her little hoard. —
10、 首先,她拿出二十枚葡萄牙枚,仍然崭新,铸于约翰五世的时代,1725年,按照她父亲告诉她的,按照汇率价值为五里斯本尼斯,或者每枚一百六十八法郎六十四分; —

First she took out twenty portugaises, still new, struck in the reign of John V., 1725, worth by exchange, as her father told her, five lisbonnines, or a hundred and sixty-eight francs, sixty-four centimes each; —
11、 它们的象征性价值,然而,是每枚一百八十法郎,因为硬币的罕见和美丽,它们闪烁着像小太阳。 —

their conventional value, however, was a hundred and eighty francs apiece, on account of the rarity and beauty of the coins, which shone like little suns. —
12、 项目,五枚热那亚币,或者热那亚五百法郎硬币; —

Item, five genovines, or five hundred-franc pieces of Genoa; —
13、 另一枚在汇率上价值八十七法郎的非常稀有的硬币,但对收藏家是一百法郎。 —

another very rare coin worth eighty-seven francs on exchange, but a hundred francs to collectors. —
14、 这些以前属于老拉贝尔蒂埃先生。 —

These had formerly belonged to old Monsieur de la Bertelliere. —
15、涵盖了她所有的财产。 —

Item, three gold quadruples, Spanish, of Philip V., struck in 1729, given to her one by one by Madame Gentillet, who never failed to say, using the same words, when she made the gift, “This dear little canary, this little yellow-boy, is worth ninety-eight francs! —
物件,三枚西班牙菲利普五世于1729年铸造的金货币,由从未忘记说着相同措辞的姬蒂耶太太一个接一个地送给她,“这只可爱的金丝雀,这只小黄牌,价值九十八法郎! —

Keep it, my pretty one, it will be the flower of your treasure. —
保管好吧,我的漂亮姑娘,它将成为你财富中的明珠。 —

” Item (that which her father valued most of all, the gold of these coins being twenty-three carats and a fraction), a hundred Dutch ducats, made in the year 1756, and worth thirteen francs apiece. —
物件(她父亲最看重的东西,因为这些硬币的金含量达到二十三克拉多一点),一百枚1756年制造的荷兰杜卡特银币,每枚价值十三法郎。 —

Item, a great curiosity, a species of medal precious to the soul of misers,—three rupees with the sign of the Scales, and five rupees with the sign of the Virgin, all in pure gold of twenty-four carats; —
物件,一种对于吝啬鬼来说珍贵无比的奇特纪念章,三枚带有天秤座标记的卢比金币和五枚带有处女座标记的卢比金币,全部由纯二十四克拉金制成; —

the magnificent money of the Great Mogul, each of which was worth by mere weight thirty-seven francs, forty centimes, but at least fifty francs to those connoisseurs who love to handle gold. —
印度大莫卧尔的华丽钱币,每枚按重量价值三十七法郎四十分,但对于那些喜欢摸金的行家来说,每枚至少价值五十法郎。 —

Item, the napoleon of forty francs received the day before, which she had forgotten to put away in the velvet purse. —
物件,前一天收到的四十法郎拿破仑金币,她忘记放进天鹅绒钱包里。 —

This treasure was all in virgin coins, true works of art, which Grandet from time to time inquired after and asked to see, pointing out to his daughter their intrinsic merits,—such as the beauty of the milled edge, the clearness of the flat surface, the richness of the lettering, whose angles were not yet rubbed off.
这个宝藏都是火币,真正的艺术品,格朗代尔时不时会打探询问并请女儿查看,指出这些珍品的内在优点,如磨边的美丽,平面表面的清晰度,字体的浓郁度,其角度尚未磨损。

Eugenie gave no thought to these rarities, nor to her father’s mania for them, nor to the danger she incurred in depriving herself of a treasure so dear to him; —
尤金妮对这些珍品无动于衷,也不关心父亲对它们的狂热,也不关心她为了摘去父亲如此珍重的宝藏而招致的危险; —

no, she thought only of her cousin, and soon made out, after a few mistakes of calculation, that she possessed about five thousand eight hundred francs in actual value, which might be sold for their additional value to collectors for nearly six thousand. —
她只想着她的表亲,并很快算出,经过几次计算错误,她实际价值约为五千八百法郎,可以以近六千法郎的价格卖给收藏家。 —

She looked at her wealth and clapped her hands like a happy child forced to spend its overflowing joy in artless movements of the body. —
她看着自己的财富,像一个快乐的孩子般拍手,被迫将自己喜悦的泛滥用天真的身体动作表达出来。 —

Father and daughter had each counted up their fortune this night,—he, to sell his gold; —
这个夜晚,父亲和女儿各自计算了自己的财富 —— 他为了出售他的金子; —

Eugenie to fling hers into the ocean of affection. —
尤金妮为了将自己的财富投入到爱的大海中。 —

She put the pieces back into the old purse, took it in her hand, and ran upstairs without hesitation. —
她把硬币放回旧钱包里,拿在手里,毫不犹豫地跑上楼去。 —

The secret misery of her cousin made her forget the hour and conventional propriety; —
表亲的秘密痛苦使她忘记了时间和传统礼仪; —

she was strong in her conscience, in her devotion, in her happiness.
她的良心、她的奉献、她的幸福让她变得坚强。

As she stood upon the threshold of the door, holding the candle in one hand and the purse in the other, Charles woke, caught sight of her, and remained speechless with surprise. —
当她站在门口,一手拿着蜡烛,一手拿着钱包,查尔斯醒了,看到她,大吃一惊,一时说不出话来。 —

Eugenie came forward, put the candle on the table, and said in a quivering voice:
尤金妮走过来,把蜡烛放在桌子上,颤抖着说道:

“My cousin, I must beg pardon for a wrong I have done you; —
“表妹,我必须请求您原谅我犯的错误; —

but God will pardon me—if you—will help me to wipe it out.”
但上帝会原谅我,如果您愿意帮助我弥补它。”

“What is it?” asked Charles, rubbing his eyes.
“怎么了?”查尔斯揉着眼睛问道。

“I have read those letters.”
“我读了那些信。”

Charles colored.
查尔斯脸红了。

“How did it happen?” she continued; “how came I here? Truly, I do not know. —
“是怎么回事?”她继续说道,“我是怎么到这里来的?实话实说,我也不知道。 —

I am tempted not to regret too much that I have read them; —
我很诱惑,不太后悔读了它们; —

they have made me know your heart, your soul, and—”
它们让我了解了您的心灵,灵魂,还有—”

“And what?” asked Charles.
“还有什么?”查尔斯问道。

“Your plans, your need of a sum—”
“您的计划,您需要一笔钱—”

“My dear cousin—”
“我亲爱的表妹—”

“Hush, hush! my cousin, not so loud; we must not wake others. —
“嘘,嘘!表妹,别这么大声;我们不能吵醒其他人。 —

See,” she said, opening her purse, “here are the savings of a poor girl who wants nothing. —
瞧,”她打开钱包说,“这里有一个贫穷女孩的积蓄,不需任何东西。” —

Charles, accept them! This morning I was ignorant of the value of money; you have taught it to me. —
“查尔斯,接受吧!今天早上我还不懂钱的价值;是你教会了我。” —

It is but a means, after all. A cousin is almost a brother; —
“毕竟,它只是一种手段。表亲几乎是兄弟; —

you can surely borrow the purse of your sister.”
“你肯定可以借你姐姐的钱包。”

Eugenie, as much a woman as a young girl, never dreamed of refusal; but her cousin remained silent.
尤金妮既是女人又是年轻女孩,从未想过拒绝;但她的表弟保持沉默。

“Oh! you will not refuse?” cried Eugenie, the beatings of whose heart could be heard in the deep silence.
“哦!你不会拒绝吧?”尤金妮大声说道,她心脏的跳动在深邃的寂静中可听见。

Her cousin’s hesitation mortified her; but the sore need of his position came clearer still to her mind, and she knelt down.
她表弟的犹豫让她羞愧不已;但他的处境的悲惨需求更加清晰地出现在她脑海中,于是她跪了下去。

“I will never rise till you have taken that gold!” she said. —
“在你拿走那些金子之前,我绝不会起身!”她说道。 —

“My cousin, I implore you, answer me! let me know if you respect me, if you are generous, if—”
“我恳求你,表弟,回答我!让我知道你是否尊重我,是否慷慨,是否——”

As he heard this cry of noble distress the young man’s tears fell upon his cousin’s hands, which he had caught in his own to keep her from kneeling. —
听到这种高贵的绝望声,年轻人的眼泪落在他抓住的表妹手上,以防她跪下去。 —

As the warm tears touched her, Eugenie sprang to the purse and poured its contents upon the table.
当温暖的泪水触及她时,尤金妮跑到钱包前,把里面的东西倒在桌子上。

“Ah! yes, yes, you consent?” she said, weeping with joy. —
“啊!是的,是的,你同意了?”她高兴地哭着说。 —

“Fear nothing, my cousin, you will be rich. This gold will bring you happiness; —
“不要害怕,表弟,你会变得富有。这些金子会给你带来幸福; —

some day you shall bring it back to me,—are we not partners? —
总有一天你会把它还给我,难道我们不是合作伙伴吗? —

I will obey all conditions. But you should not attach such value to the gift.”
“我会遵守所有条件。但你不应该对这份礼物过分珍视。”

Charles was at last able to express his feelings.
最终,查尔斯能够表达自己的感受。

“Yes, Eugenie; my soul would be small indeed if I did not accept. —
“是的,尤金尼;如果我不接受的话,我的灵魂将太卑微了。” —

And yet,—gift for gift, confidence for confidence.”
“然而,礼物换礼物,信任换信任。”

“What do you mean?” she said, frightened.
“你是什么意思?”她有点害怕地说。

“Listen, dear cousin; I have here—” He interrupted himself to point out a square box covered with an outer case of leather which was on the drawers. —
“听着,亲爱的表妹;我这里有一样东西——”他打断自己指着抽屉上放着的一个外面包着皮革的方形盒子。 —

“There,” he continued, “is something as precious to me as life itself. —
“这里,”他继续说,“对我而言比生命本身更宝贵. —

This box was a present from my mother. All day I have been thinking that if she could rise from her grave, she would herself sell the gold which her love for me lavished on this dressing-case; —
这个盒子是我母亲的礼物. 整天我一直在想,如果她能从坟墓里站起来,她会亲自卖掉她为我慷慨购入这个化妆盒的黄金; —

but were I to do so, the act would seem to me a sacrilege. —
但如果我这样做,这个行为对我来说会感觉像亵渎。 —

” Eugenie pressed his hand as she heard these last words. —
尤金妮在听到这些话时握住了他的手。 —

“No,” he added, after a slight pause, during which a liquid glance of tenderness passed between them, “no, I will neither sell it nor risk its safety on my journey. —
“不,”他在稍须停顿后又补充说,他们之间一道充满爱意的目光幽幽传达了一切,“不,我既不会卖掉也不会冒旅途中风险,让它失去安全。 —

Dear Eugenie, you shall be its guardian. —
亲爱的尤金妮,你将成为它的守护者。 —

Never did friend commit anything more sacred to another. —
朋友从未将任何东西托付给另一个人时更为神圣。 —

Let me show it to you.”
让我给你展示吧。”

He went to the box, took it from its outer coverings, opened it, and showed his delighted cousin a dressing-case where the rich workmanship gave to the gold ornaments a value far above their weight.
他走到盒子跟前,从外面的盖子中取出来,打开了盒子,向他欣喜的表妹展示了一个化妆盒,其中丰富的做工使金饰的价值远远超过了它们的重量。

“What you admire there is nothing,” he said, pushing a secret spring which opened a hidden drawer. —
“你在那里欣赏的东西算不了什么,”他推了推一个隐藏抽屉的秘密弹簧。 —

“Here is something which to me is worth the whole world. —
“这里才是对我而言胜过全世界的东西。” —

” He drew out two portraits, masterpieces of Madame Mirbel, richly set with pearls.
他拿出两幅肖像画,是米贝尔夫人的杰作,用珍珠装饰华丽。

“Oh, how beautiful! Is it the lady to whom you wrote that—”
“哦,太美了!这是您写信给那位——”

“No,” he said, smiling; “this is my mother, and here is my father, your aunt and uncle. —
“不是,”他微笑着说;“这是我母亲,这是我父亲,您的姨妈和叔叔。 —

Eugenie, I beg you on my knees, keep my treasure safely. —
尤金尼,我求求您,保管好我的珍宝。 —

If I die and your little fortune is lost, this gold and these pearls will repay you. —
如果我死了,您的小财产丧失了,这些黄金和珍珠可以报答您。 —

To you alone could I leave these portraits; you are worthy to keep them. —
我只能把这些肖像交给您;您有资格保存它们。 —

But destroy them at last, so that they may pass into no other hands. —
但最后毁掉它们,这样它们就不会落入别人手中。 —

” Eugenie was silent. “Ah, yes, say yes! —
”尤金尼沉默了。“ 啊,是的,说是吧! —

You consent?” he added with winning grace.
您答应吗?”他带着迷人的优雅补充道。

Hearing the very words she had just used to her cousin now addressed to herself, she turned upon him a look of love, her first look of loving womanhood,—a glance in which there is nearly as much of coquetry as of inmost depth. —
听到她刚刚对自己表妹说的话现在对自己说,她转过头来看着他,用一种爱的眼神,她第一次展现了女人的爱意——这是一种几乎像是调情又像是内心深处的目光。 —

He took her hand and kissed it.
他拉起她的手吻了一下。

“Angel of purity! between us two money is nothing, never can be anything. —
“贞洁的天使!在我们之间,金钱无足轻重,永远也不会重要。 —

Feeling, sentiment, must be all henceforth.”
现在起,只有感情、情感才是一切。”

“You are like your mother,—was her voice as soft as yours?”
“您像您的母亲,她的声音像您这样温柔吗?”

“Oh! much softer—”
“哦!温柔多了—”

“Yes, for you,” she said, dropping her eyelids. “Come, Charles, go to bed; I wish it; —
“是的,为了你,”她说着,垂下眼睫。“来吧,查尔斯,去睡觉吧;我希望你休息一下; —

you must be tired. Good-night.” She gently disengaged her hand from those of her cousin, who followed her to her room, lighting the way. —
你一定很累了。晚安。”她轻轻挣脱了与表弟的手相扣,后者紧随着她走向她的房间,为她照亮了路。 —

When they were both upon the threshold,—
当他们都站在门槛上时,

“Ah!” he said, “why am I ruined?”
“啊!”他说,“我为什么要毁了自己?”

“What matter?—my father is rich; I think so,” she answered.
“没关系——我父亲很富有;我想是这样,”她回答道。

“Poor child!” said Charles, making a step into her room and leaning his back against the wall, “if that were so, he would never have let my father die; —
“可怜的孩子!”查尔斯说着,迈进她的房间,背靠着墙,“如果是这样的话,他就不会让我父亲去世; —

he would not let you live in this poor way; —
他也不会让你生活在这种贫困的方式中; —

he would live otherwise himself.”
他会过得不同。”

“But he owns Froidfond.”
“但他是冷深底的主人。”

“What is Froidfond worth?”
“冷深底值多少钱?”

“I don’t know; but he has Noyers.”
“我不知道;但他有努瓦。”

“Nothing but a poor farm!”
“只不过是个贫穷的农场!”

“He has vineyards and fields.”
“他有葡萄园和田地。”

“Mere nothing,” said Charles disdainfully. —
“纯粹是无足轻重,”查尔斯不屑地说道。 —

“If your father had only twenty-four thousand francs a year do you suppose you would live in this cold, barren room? —
“如果你父亲每年只有两万四千法郎,你认为你会住在这个寒冷、贫瘠的房间里吗? —

” he added, making a step in advance. “Ah! —
他补充道,向前迈了一步。“啊! —

there you will keep my treasures,” he said, glancing at the old cabinet, as if to hide his thoughts.
“你可以把我的珍宝放在那里,”他望了一眼老橱柜,仿佛是为了隐藏自己的想法。

“Go and sleep,” she said, hindering his entrance into the disordered room.
“去睡觉吧,”她说着,阻止他进入那个杂乱的房间。

Charles stepped back, and they bid each other good-night with a mutual smile.
查尔斯退后一步,他们互相微笑道晚安。

Both fell asleep in the same dream; and from that moment the youth began to wear roses with his mourning. —
两人在同一个梦中入睡;从那一刻起,年轻人开始在丧事中佩戴玫瑰花。 —

The next day, before breakfast, Madame Grandet found her daughter in the garden in company with Charles. —
第二天早餐前,格朗代夫人在花园里找到了她女儿,与查尔斯在一起。 —

The young man was still sad, as became a poor fellow who, plunged in misfortune, measures the depths of the abyss into which he has fallen, and sees the terrible burden of his whole future life.
那位年轻人仍然悲伤,如同一个陷入不幸的穷人,衡量着他陷入的深渊的深度,看到了整个未来生活的可怕重担。

“My father will not be home till dinner-time,” said Eugenie, perceiving the anxious look on her mother’s face.
“我父亲晚饭时间才回家,”尤金尼看出了她母亲脸上焦虑的表情。

It was easy to trace in the face and manners of the young girl and in the singular sweetness of her voice a unison of thought between her and her cousin. —
从那位年轻女孩的面孔和举止,以及她嗓音中的奇妙甜蜜可以轻松看出,她和她表兄之间的思想完全一致。 —

Their souls had espoused each other, perhaps before they even felt the force of the feelings which bound them together. —
也许在她们甚至感受到彼此紧密约束的情感之前,他们的灵魂已经结合在一起。 —

Charles spent the morning in the hall, and his sadness was respected. —
查尔斯在大厅度过了上午,他的悲伤得到了尊重。 —

Each of the three women had occupations of her own. —
三位女性都有自己的事务要处理。 —

Grandet had left all his affairs unattended to, and a number of persons came on business,—the plumber, the mason, the slater, the carpenter, the diggers, the dressers, the farmers; —
格朗代放下了一切事务,一些人来干活——给水管工,泥瓦工,瓦工,木工,挖掘工,修饰工,农民们; —

some to drive a bargain about repairs, others to pay their rent or to be paid themselves for services. —
一些人来讨价还价修理事宜,另一些人来交房租或拿工钱。 —

Madame Grandet and Eugenie were obliged to go and come and listen to the interminable talk of all these workmen and country folk. —
格朗代太太和尤金尼不得不上上下下听着所有这些工人和乡下人无尽的谈话。 —

Nanon put away in her kitchen the produce which they brought as tribute. —
Nanon把他们作为贡品带来的农产品放在厨房里。 —

She always waited for her master’s orders before she knew what portion was to be used in the house and what was to be sold in the market. —
她总是等待着她的主人下令,才知道哪一部分用于家中,哪一部分在市场上出售。 —

It was the goodman’s custom, like that of a great many country gentlemen, to drink his bad wine and eat his spoiled fruit.
好人的习惯,就像许多乡绅一样,喝坏酒吃坏果。

Towards five in the afternoon Grandet returned from Angers, having made fourteen thousand francs by the exchange on his gold, bringing home in his wallet good treasury-notes which bore interest until the day he should invest them in the Funds. He had left Cornoiller at Angers to look after the horses, which were well-nigh foundered, with orders to bring them home slowly after they were rested.
就快到下午五点,Grandet从昂热回来,通过他的金子兑换赚了一万四千法郎,带着一笔好的有利息的国库券回家,他可以在将来把它们投资到基金里。他让Cornoiller留在昂热照看马匹,那些马已经奄奄一息,他吩咐让他们休息后再慢慢把它们带回家。

“I have got back from Angers, wife,” he said; “I am hungry.”
“我从昂热回来了,妻子,”他说,“我饿了。”

Nanon called out to him from the kitchen: “Haven’t you eaten anything since yesterday?”
Nanon从厨房里喊道:“你昨天以来都没吃过东西吗?”

“Nothing,” answered the old man.
老人答道:“没吃过。”

Nanon brought in the soup. Des Grassins came to take his client’s orders just as the family sat down to dinner. —
Nanon端来汤。Des Grassins正在老板一家就餐时前来接受他的客户订购。 —

Grandet had not even observed his nephew.
Grandet甚至没有注意到他的侄子。

“Go on eating, Grandet,” said the banker; “we can talk. —
“继续吃,Grandet,”银行家说,“我们可以谈。 —

Do you know what gold is worth in Angers? —
你知道昂热的金价是多少吗? —

They have come from Nantes after it? I shall send some of ours.”
它们从南特过来拿金子了吗?我打算寄一些我们这里的。”

“Don’t send any,” said Grandet; “they have got enough. —
“不要寄任何东西,”Grandet说,“他们已经有足够了。 —

We are such old friends, I ought to save you from such a loss of time.”
我们是这么老的朋友,我应该为你省下这样的时光损失。”

“But gold is worth thirteen francs fifty centimes.”
“但金的价格是十三法郎五十里河。”

“Say was worth—”
“塞伊是值得的—”

“Where the devil have they got any?”
“他们到底哪里去了?”

“I went to Angers last night,” answered Grandet in a low voice.
“我昨晚去了昂热,”勒大格兰回答道,声音低沉。

The banker shook with surprise. Then a whispered conversation began between the two, during which Grandet and des Grassins frequently looked at Charles. —
银行家吃惊地颤抖着。然后,两人之间开始了低声交谈,勒大格兰和格朗代经常看着查理。 —

Presently des Grassins gave a start of astonishment; —
德·格拉桑突然吃惊地发抖; —

probably Grandet was then instructing him to invest the sum which was to give him a hundred thousand francs a year in the Funds.
也许勒大格兰当时正在指示他将那笔资金投资于国债,从而为他提供每年十万法郎的收入。

“Monsieur Grandet,” said the banker to Charles, “I am starting for Paris; —
“勒大格兰先生,”银行家对查理说,“我要去巴黎; —

if you have any commissions—”
如果你有任何委托的话—”

“None, monsieur, I thank you,” answered Charles.
“没有,先生,谢谢您,”查理回答道。

“Thank him better than that, nephew. Monsieur is going to settle the affairs of the house of Guillaume Grandet.”
“比这话更好地谢谢他,外甥。先生要去解决贵约姆·格朗代的事务。”

“Is there any hope?” said Charles eagerly.
“有希望吗?”查理急切地问道。

“What!” exclaimed his uncle, with well-acted pride, “are you not my nephew? —
“什么!”他的叔父带着表演得很自豪的口吻说,“你不是我的侄子吗? —

Your honor is ours. Is not your name Grandet?”
你的荣誉就是我们的。你的名字不就是格朗代吗?”

Charles rose, seized Pere Grandet, kissed him, turned pale, and left the room. —
查理起身,抱住伯父,亲了一下,脸色苍白,离开了房间。 —

Eugenie looked at her father with admiration.
尤金妮用仰慕的眼光看着她的父亲。

“Well, good-by, des Grassins; it is all in your hands. —
“再见,德·格拉桑,一切都掌握在你手中。” —

Decoy those people as best you can; lead ‘em by the nose.”
“尽力欺骗那些人,牵着他们的鼻子走。”

The two diplomatists shook hands. The old cooper accompanied the banker to the front door. —
两位外交官握手告别。老桶匠送银行家到前门。 —

Then, after closing it, he came back and plunged into his armchair, saying to Nanon,—
然后关上门,他回来坐到扶手椅上,对着娜嫩说,

“Get me some black-currant ratafia.”
“给我来点黑加仑李子白兰地。”

Too excited, however, to remain long in one place, he got up, looked at the portrait of Monsieur de la Bertelliere, and began to sing, doing what Nanon called his dancing steps,—
然而,他兴奋得坐不住,站起来,看了看德·拉·贝泰耶尔先生的肖像,开始唱歌,跳着他的舞步,

“Dans les gardes francaises
“在法国警卫队里

J’avais un bon papa.”
我有一个好爸爸。”

Nanon, Madame Grandet, and Eugenie looked at each other in silence. —
娜嫩、格朗代夫人和尤金亚默默地互相看着。 —

The hilarity of the master always frightened them when it reached its climax. —
主人的高兴总是在达到顶点时吓到他们。 —

The evening was soon over. Pere Grandet chose to go to bed early, and when he went to bed, everybody else was expected to go too; —
晚上很快就过去了。格朗代选择早点上床睡觉,而当他上床时,其他人也应该去睡觉; —

like as when Augustus drank, Poland was drunk. —
就像奥古斯都喝酒时波兰就会醉倒。 —

On this occasion Nanon, Charles, and Eugenie were not less tired than the master. —
这次娜嫩、查尔斯和尤金亚与主人一样疲惫。 —

As for Madame Grandet, she slept, ate, drank, and walked according to the will of her husband. —
至于格朗代夫人,她睡觉、吃饭、喝水和散步都是根据丈夫的意愿。 —

However, during the two hours consecrated to digestion, the cooper, more facetious than he had ever been in his life, uttered a number of his own particular apothegms,—a single one of which will give the measure of his mind. —
然而,在两个小时的消化时间里,桶匠比他以往任何时候都更诙谐地说了许多他自己的格言——其中的任何一个都足以彰显他的智慧。 —

When he had drunk his ratafia, he looked at his glass and said,—
当他喝完自己的利口酒后,他看着酒杯说, —

“You have no sooner put your lips to a glass than it is empty! Such is life. —
“你还没把嘴唇碰到玻璃杯,它就空了!生活就是这样。 —

You can’t have and hold. Gold won’t circulate and stay in your purse. —
你不能拥有并持有。金子不会在你的钱袋中流通停留。 —

If it were not for that, life would be too fine.”
如果没有这个,生活会太美好了。”

He was jovial and benevolent. When Nanon came with her spinning-wheel, “You must be tired,” he said; —
他很快活和慷慨。当 Nanon 拿着她的纺车过来时,“你一定很累了,”他说; —

“put away your hemp.”
“把你的麻放好。”

“Ah, bah! then I shall get sleepy,” she answered.
“啊,才不呢!那我就会困的,”她回答。

“Poor Nanon! Will you have some ratafia?”
“可怜的 Nanon!你要来点利口酒吗?”

“I won’t refuse a good offer; madame makes it a deal better than the apothecaries. —
“我不会拒绝一个好的提议;太太做得比药剂师好多了。他们卖的全是药物。” —

What they sell is all drugs.”
“他们放太多糖了,”主人说;“你尝不出其他味道。”

“They put too much sugar,” said the master; “you can’t taste anything else.”
“如果他们不那样做,情况会好很多。”