Two months went by. This domestic life, once so monotonous, was now quickened with the intense interest of a secret that bound these women intimately together. —
两个月过去了。这个曾经乏味的家庭生活如今因为一个秘密而变得充满了紧张的兴趣,将这些女人紧密地联系在一起。 —

For them Charles lived and moved beneath the grim gray rafters of the hall. —
对她们来说,查尔斯就在大厅阴沉的灰色横梁下生活和活动。 —

Night and morning Eugenie opened the dressing-case and gazed at the portrait of her aunt. —
早晚,尤金妮会打开梳妆盒,凝视着她姨妈的画像。 —

One Sunday morning her mother surprised her as she stood absorbed in finding her cousin’s features in his mother’s face. —
一个星期天早晨,她母亲看到她专注地试图在阿姨的脸上找到表亲的面容,感到很惊讶。 —

Madame Grandet was then for the first time admitted into the terrible secret of the exchange made by Charles against her daughter’s treasure.
格朗代太太那时第一次得知查尔斯与她女儿的宝藏交换的可怕秘密。

“You gave him all!” cried the poor mother, terrified. —
“你把全部给了他!”可怜的母亲惊恐地大叫。 —

“What will you say to your father on New Year’s Day when he asks to see your gold?”
“新年那天,你父亲问你要看看你的黄金时,你会怎么说?”

Eugenie’s eyes grew fixed, and the two women lived through mortal terror for more than half the morning. —
尤金妮的眼睛变得呆滞,两个女人度过了半个多上午的死亡恐惧。 —

They were so troubled in mind that they missed high Mass, and only went to the military service. —
她们心烦意乱,错过了弥撒,只去了军事弥撒。 —

In three days the year 1819 would come to an end. —
在三天之内,1819年就要结束。 —

In three days a terrible drama would begin, a bourgeois tragedy, without poison, or dagger, or the spilling of blood; —
在三天之内,一场可怕的戏剧就会开始,一场市民的悲剧,没有毒药、匕首或血液的溅射; —

but—as regards the actors in it—more cruel than all the fabled horrors in the family of the Atrides.
但就演员们而言,比阿特瑞德斯家族中所有寓言的恐怖更残酷。

“What will become of us?” said Madame Grandet to her daughter, letting her knitting fall upon her knees.
“我们该怎么办?”格朗代太太对她女儿说,把针织品丢在膝盖上。

The poor mother had gone through such anxiety for the past two months that the woollen sleeves which she needed for the coming winter were not yet finished. —
这位可怜的母亲过去两个月承受了如此多的焦虑,以至于她为了未来的冬天还没有完成所需要的毛衣袖子。 —

This domestic fact, insignificant as it seems, bore sad results. —
这个家庭的事实,看似微不足道,却带来了悲伤的后果。 —

For want of those sleeves, a chill seized her in the midst of a sweat caused by a terrible explosion of anger on the part of her husband.
仅仅因为缺了那些袖子,她被寒意袭身,在丈夫因愤怒爆发而引发的一阵汗珠中。

“I have been thinking, my poor child, that if you had confided your secret to me we should have had time to write to Monsieur des Grassins in Paris. He might have sent us gold pieces like yours; —
“我一直在想,可怜的孩子,如果你把秘密告诉我,我们本来可以有时间写信给巴黎的德·格拉桑先生。他可能会寄给我们像你的金币一样的金块; —

though Grandet knows them all, perhaps—”
尽管格朗代了解他们所有人,也许——”

“Where could we have got the money?”
“我们哪里弄得到钱呢?”

“I would have pledged my own property. Besides, Monsieur des Grassins would have—”
“我本人愿抵押我的财产。此外,德·格拉桑先生可能会——”

“It is too late,” said Eugenie in a broken, hollow voice. —
“已经太迟了,”尤金尼哀伤而低沉地说。 —

“To-morrow morning we must go and wish him a happy New Year in his chamber.”
“明天早晨我们必须去他的房间祝他新年快乐。”

“But, my daughter, why should I not consult the Cruchots?”
“但是,我的女儿,为什么我不能咨询克吕舍家族呢?”

“No, no; it would be delivering me up to them, and putting ourselves in their power. —
“不,不,那将是把我交到他们手中,使我们置身于他们的掌控之下。 —

Besides, I have chosen my course. I have done right, I repent of nothing. God will protect me. —
而且,我已经选择了我的路。我没有后悔。上帝会保护我。 —

His will be done! Ah! mother, if you had read his letter, you, too, would have thought only of him.”
上帝的旨意将会实现!啊,母亲,如果你读了他的信,你也会只想着他。”

The next morning, January 1, 1820, the horrible fear to which mother and daughter were a prey suggested to their minds a natural excuse by which to escape the solemn entrance into Grandet’s chamber. —
第二天早晨,1820年1月1日,母女二人因为内心的可怕恐惧想出一个自然的借口来避免庄严地进入格朗代的卧室。 —

The winter of 1819-1820 was one of the coldest of that epoch. —
1819年至1820年的冬天是当时最冷的之一。 —

The snow encumbered the roofs.
雪深深覆盖着屋顶。

Madame Grandet called to her husband as soon as she heard him stirring in his chamber, and said,—
格朗代夫人一听见丈夫在房间里动静,就叫他,说——

“Grandet, will you let Nanon light a fire here for me? —
“格朗代,您能让娜农在这里给我生火吗? —

The cold is so sharp that I am freezing under the bedclothes. At my age I need some comforts. —
寒冷刺骨,被子下我冻得发抖。我这把年纪需要些舒适。 —

Besides,” she added, after a slight pause, “Eugenie shall come and dress here; —
而且,”她顿了一下,接着说,“尤金妮会过来在这里更衣; —

the poor child might get an illness from dressing in her cold room in such weather. —
可怜的孩子穿着着冷房间里在这种天气可能会生病。 —

Then we will go and wish you a happy New Year beside the fire in the hall.”
然后我们会去大厅的火炉边祝您新年快乐。”

“Ta, ta, ta, ta, what a tongue! a pretty way to begin the new year, Madame Grandet! —
“嘣嘣嘣嘣,多么会说话啊!这是个美好的开始,格朗代夫人! —

You never talked so much before; but you haven’t been sopping your bread in wine, I know that.”
您从前从没说过这么多话;但我知道您并未在酒里泡面包。”

There was a moment’s silence.
片刻寂静。

“Well,” resumed the goodman, who no doubt had some reason of his own for agreeing to his wife’s request, “I’ll do what you ask, Madame Grandet. —
“好吧,”这位善良的男人继续说道,毫无疑问他对妻子的请求有些自己的原因,“我会照您的要求做,格朗代夫人。 —

You are a good woman, and I don’t want any harm to happen to you at your time of life,—though as a general thing the Bertellieres are as sound as a roach. —
您是个好女人,我不想您在这个年纪遭遇任何伤害,虽然总的来说,贝尔泰尔家的人都健壮如同胖鱼。 —

Hein! isn’t that so?” he added after a pause. “Well, I forgive them; —
嗯!是不是这样?”他顿了顿后补充道。“好吧,我原谅他们; —

we got their property in the end.” And he coughed.
最终我们得到了他们的财产。” 然后他咳嗽了一下。

“You are very gay this morning, monsieur,” said the poor woman gravely.
“您今天早上很开心,先生,”可怜的女人沉重地说道。

“I’m always gay,—
“我总是开心,—

“‘Gai, gai, gai, le tonnelier,
“‘开心,开心,开心,木工师’”

Raccommodez votre cuvier!’”
“Raccommodez votre cuvier!”

he answered, entering his wife’s room fully dressed. —
他穿着整装进入他妻子的房间。 —

“Yes, on my word, it is cold enough to freeze you solid. We shall have a fine breakfast, wife. —
“是的,真是冷得要把你冻住。我们将有美好的早餐,亲爱的。 —

Des Grassins has sent me a pate-de-foie-gras truffled! —
德·格拉桑已经送我一块装有松露的鹅肝酱! —

I am going now to get it at the coach-office. —
我现在就要去车站取它。 —

There’ll be a double napoleon for Eugenie in the package,” he whispered in Madame Grandet’s ear. —
包裹里还有一枚双拿破仑金币给尤金妮,”他在格朗代太太的耳边轻声说道。 —

“I have no gold left, wife. I had a few stray pieces—I don’t mind telling you that—but I had to let them go in business.”
“我已经没黄金了,亲爱的。我曾经有几个零散的金币——我也不介意告诉你,但不得不用在生意上了。”

Then, by way of celebrating the new year, he kissed her on the forehead.
接着,为了庆祝新年,他吻了她的额头。

“Eugenie,” cried the mother, when Grandet was fairly gone, “I don’t know which side of the bed your father got out of, but he is good-tempered this morning. —
“尤金妮,”母亲大声说道,当格朗代正式离开后,“我不知道你父亲是从床哪一边起床的,但他今天早上心情不错。 —

Perhaps we shall come out safe after all?”
也许我们最终会安然无恙?”

“What’s happened to the master?” said Nanon, entering her mistress’s room to light the fire. —
“主人怎么了?”南农进入女主人的房间燃起火时说道。 —

“First place, he said, ‘Good-morning; happy New Year, you big fool! —
“首先,他说,‘早上好;新年快乐,你这个大笨蛋! —

Go and light my wife’s fire, she’s cold’; —
去点燃我妻子的火,她感觉冷’; —

and then, didn’t I feel silly when he held out his hand and gave me a six-franc piece, which isn’t worn one bit? —
然后,当他递给我一枚一点也没有磨损的六法郎硬币时,我感到多么愚蠢呀! —

Just look at it, madame! Oh, the kind man! He is a good man, that’s a fact. —
看看吧,太太!哦,他真是个好人!他是个好人,这是事实。 —

There are some people who the older they get the harder they grow; —
有些人年纪越大越变得强硬; —

but he,—why he’s getting soft and improving with time, like your ratafia! —
但他,噢,他却是越来越温和,随着时间的推移而变得更好,就像你的杏仁酒一样! —

He is a good, good man—”
他是个好人,一个好人——

The secret of Grandet’s joy lay in the complete success of his speculation. —
Grandet 的幸福秘密在于他的投机活动取得了完全成功。 —

Monsieur des Grassins, after deducting the amount which the old cooper owed him for the discount on a hundred and fifty thousand francs in Dutch notes, and for the surplus which he had advanced to make up the sum required for the investment in the Funds which was to produce a hundred thousand francs a year, had now sent him, by the diligence, thirty thousand francs in silver coin, the remainder of his first half-year’s interest, informing him at the same time that the Funds had already gone up in value. —
在扣除老桶匠欠他的一百五十万法郎荷兰票据的贴现款以及他为了投资能产生十万法郎年收益的公债而提前支付的剩余部分后,德格拉先生现在通过马车快递向他寄去了三万法郎的银币,这是他的上半年的余利剩余部分,并同时告知他公债的价值已经上涨。 —

They were then quoted at eighty-nine; the shrewdest capitalists bought in, towards the last of January, at ninety-three. —
当时公债价值为八十九;最精明的资本家们在一月底以九十三买进。 —

Grandet had thus gained in two months twelve per cent on his capital; —
Grandet 于是在两个月内赚了自己的本金的百分之十二; —

he had simplified his accounts, and would in future receive fifty thousand francs interest every six months, without incurring any taxes or costs for repairs. —
他简化了自己的账目,以后每六个月就可以领到五万法郎的利息,而且不用为税金或修理费用担心。 —

He understood at last what it was to invest money in the public securities,—a system for which provincials have always shown a marked repugnance,—and at the end of five years he found himself master of a capital of six millions, which increased without much effort of his own, and which, joined to the value and proceeds of his territorial possessions, gave him a fortune that was absolutely colossal. —
终于,他理解了投资于国债的含义——这一系统一直让乡下人感到厌恶——五年后,他发现自己掌握了六百万法郎的资本,这笔资金几乎毫不费力地增长起来,再加上他的土地财产的价值和收益,使他的财富变得绝对庞大。 —

The six francs bestowed on Nanon were perhaps the reward of some great service which the poor servant had rendered to her master unawares.
给纳农的六法郎也许是对这个可怜仆人在不知情中对主人所做的某些伟大服务的报酬。

“Oh! oh! where’s Pere Grandet going? He has been scurrying about since sunrise as if to a fire,” said the tradespeople to each other as they opened their shops for the day.
“哦!哦!Grandet 爹爹要去哪儿?自日出以来他就像赶往火灾一样四处奔走,”商人们在开门迎客之际互相议论道。

When they saw him coming back from the wharf, followed by a porter from the coach-office wheeling a barrow which was laden with sacks, they all had their comments to make:—
当他们看到他从码头回来,后面跟着一名从客运公司推着满载麻袋的手推车的搬运工时,他们纷纷有所议论:——

“Water flows to the river; the old fellow was running after his gold,” said one.
“水源流入江河;那老家伙在追逐他的黄金,”某人说。

“He gets it from Paris and Froidfond and Holland,” said another.
“他从巴黎、Froidfond 和荷兰得到这些,”另一人说。

“He’ll end by buying up Saumur,” cried a third.
“最终他可能会买下索米尔,”第三人叫道。

“He doesn’t mind the cold, he’s so wrapped up in his gains,” said a wife to her husband.
“他不怕冷,他对他的收获太着迷了,”一位妻子对她的丈夫说道。

“Hey! hey! Monsieur Grandet, if that’s too heavy for you,” said a cloth-dealer, his nearest neighbor, “I’ll take it off your hands.”
“嘿!嘿!格朗代先生,如果这对你来说太重了,”一位布匹商人,他最近的邻居说道,“我可以帮你解围。”

“Heavy?” said the cooper, “I should think so; it’s all sous!”
“重吗?”木桶制造商说,“我看是挺重的;全是硬币!”

“Silver sous,” said the porter in a low voice.
“银硬币,”门卫低声说道。

“If you want me to take care of you, keep your tongue between your teeth,” said the goodman to the porter as they reached the door.
“如果你希望我保护你,那就闭紧你的嘴,”主人对门卫说,当他们走到门口时。

“The old fox! I thought he was deaf; seems he can hear fast enough in frosty weather.”
“这老狐狸!我以为他是聋子;看来他在寒冷的天气里听得很清楚。”

“Here’s twenty sous for your New Year, and mum!” said Grandet. “Be off with you! —
“这是给你新年的二十个硬币,然后闭嘴!”格朗代说。“走开!” —

Nanon shall take back your barrow. Nanon, are the linnets at church?”
“纳农会把你的推车拿回去。纳农,金翠鸟在教堂吗?”

“Yes, monsieur.”
“是的,先生。”

“Then lend a hand! go to work!” he cried, piling the sacks upon her. —
“那就帮忙!干活去吧!”他说着把袋子堆在她身上。 —

In a few moments all were carried up to his inner room, where he shut himself in with them. —
几分钟后,所有的袋子都被搬到他的内房间,他把自己锁在里面。 —

“When breakfast is ready, knock on the wall,” he said as he disappeared. —
“早餐好了的时候,敲墙一下。”他消失时说。 —

“Take the barrow back to the coach-office.”
“把手推车送回长途车站。”

The family did not breakfast that day until ten o’clock.
那天一家人直到十点才吃早餐。

“Your father will not ask to see your gold downstairs,” said Madame Grandet as they got back from Mass. “You must pretend to be very chilly. —
“你父亲不会要求看你在楼下的黄金,”格朗代夫人在他们从弥撒回来时说。“你要装得非常害怕寒冷。” —

We may have time to replace the treasure before your fete-day.”
我们可能会有时间在你的节日之前替换宝藏。

Grandet came down the staircase thinking of his splendid speculation in government securities, and wondering how he could metamorphose his Parisian silver into solid gold; —
格朗代思着他在政府证券上辉煌的投机,并想着如何将他的巴黎银转化为实实在在的黄金; —

he was making up his mind to invest in this way everything he could lay hands on until the Funds should reach a par value. —
他正在决定把手头上能够抓住的一切投资进去,直到基金达到票面价值。 —

Fatal reverie for Eugenie! As soon as he came in, the two women wished him a happy New Year,—his daughter by putting her arms round his neck and caressing him; —
对于尤金妮来说,这是一个致命的幻想!当他进来的时候,两个女人都祝他新年快乐,他的女儿用手臂搂住他的脖子亲吻他; —

Madame Grandet gravely and with dignity.
而格朗代夫人则庄严地,带着尊严。

“Ha! ha! my child,” he said, kissing his daughter on both cheeks. —
“哈哈!我的孩子,”他说,亲吻着女儿的双颊。 —

“I work for you, don’t you see? I think of your happiness. Must have money to be happy. —
“我是为了你在工作,你看到了吗?我想到了你的幸福。要幸福就得有钱。 —

Without money there’s not a particle of happiness. Here! there’s a new napoleon for you. —
没有钱就没有一点点幸福。嘿!给你一枚新的拿破仑金币。 —

I sent to Paris for it. On my word of honor, it’s all the gold I have; —
我从巴黎寄来的。凭我的荣誉,这就是我所有的黄金; —

you are the only one that has got any gold. —
你是唯一拥有一点金子的。 —

I want to see your gold, little one.”
我想看看你的金子,小家伙。”

“Oh! it is too cold; let us have breakfast,” answered Eugenie.
“哦!太冷了;让我们先吃早餐吧,”尤金妮回答说。

“Well, after breakfast, then; it will help the digestion. That fat des Grassins sent me the pate. —
“那好,吃完早饭再说;这会帮助消化。那个肥胖的德格拉坷索人送我这个肉馅饼。 —

Eat as much as you like, my children, it costs nothing. Des Grassins is getting along very well. —
想吃多少就吃多少,我的孩子们,这不花钱。德格拉坷索人做得很好。 —

I am satisfied with him. The old fish is doing Charles a good service, and gratis too. —
我对他很满意。老坷索家正在为查尔斯做一件好事,而且还是免费的。” —

He is making a very good settlement of that poor deceased Grandet’s business. Hoo! hoo! —
他正在很好地处理那个可怜已故的Grandet的生意。呼!呼! —

” he muttered, with his mouth full, after a pause, “how good it is! —
”他嘟囔着,满嘴食物,停顿后说,“多么好啊! —

Eat some, wife; that will feed you for at least two days.”
吃点,妻子;那至少能让你吃两天。”

“I am not hungry. I am very poorly; you know that.”
“我不饿。我很虚弱;你知道的。”

“Ah, bah! you can stuff yourself as full as you please without danger, you’re a Bertelliere; —
“啊,呸!你可以尽情填饱肚子而没有危险,你是Bertelliere家的; —

they are all hearty. You are a bit yellow, that’s true; —
他们都很健壮。你有点黄,的确; —

but I like yellow, myself.”
不过我喜欢黄色。”

The expectation of ignominious and public death is perhaps less horrible to a condemned criminal than the anticipation of what was coming after breakfast to Madame Grandet and Eugenie. —
受到耻辱和公开死亡的期待对于一个被判刑的罪犯来说也许不如对Madame Grandet和Eugenie来说即将到来的早餐后的期待那么可怕。 —

The more gleefully the old man talked and ate, the more their hearts shrank within them. —
老人愈是欢天喜地地说着话吃着饭,他们的心就愈是缩小。 —

The daughter, however, had an inward prop at this crisis,—she gathered strength through love.
然而,女儿在这个危机中有内在的支撑——她从爱中汲取了力量。

“For him! for him!” she cried within her, “I would die a thousand deaths.”
“为了他!为了他!”她在心里喊道,“我愿意死一千次。”

At this thought, she shot a glance at her mother which flamed with courage.
想到这里,她朝着母亲扔了一个火热的勇气充盈的目光。

“Clear away,” said Grandet to Nanon when, about eleven o’clock, breakfast was over, “but leave the table. —
“收拾一下,”当大约十一点,早餐结束时,Grandet对Nanon说,“但留着桌子。 —

We can spread your little treasure upon it,” he said, looking at Eugenie. “Little? Faith! no; —
我们可以把你的小财宝放在上面,”他望着Eugenie说。“小?天啊!不; —

it isn’t little. You possess, in actual value, five thousand nine hundred and fifty-nine francs and the forty I gave you just now. —
实际价值上,你拥有五千九百五十九法郎和我刚刚给你的四十法郎。 —

That makes six thousand francs, less one. Well, now see here, little one! —
那就是六千法郎,少了一法郎。好了,听着,小家伙! —

I’ll give you that one franc to make up the round number. Hey! —
我会给你那一法郎,让数字圆整。喂! —

what are you listening for, Nanon? Mind your own business; —
Nanon,你在听什么?管好你自己的事; —

go and do your work.”
去做你的工作吧。”

Nanon disappeared.
Nanon消失了。

“Now listen, Eugenie; you must give me back your gold. —
“现在听着,尤金尼;你必须把你的金子还给我。 —

You won’t refuse your father, my little girl, hein?”
你不会拒绝你的父亲,我的小女孩,对吧?”

The two women were dumb.
两个女人都不说话。

“I have no gold myself. I had some, but it is all gone. —
“我自己没有金子。我曾经有过一点,但全都用光了。 —

I’ll give you in return six thousand francs in livres, and you are to put them just where I tell you. —
我会用六千法郎的生活费还你,并且你必须按我告诉你的地方放着。 —

You mustn’t think anything more about your ‘dozen. —
你别再想着你的‘一打’了。 —

’ When I marry you (which will be soon) I shall get you a husband who can give you the finest ‘dozen’ ever seen in the provinces. —
等我娶了你(很快就会的),我会给你找一个可以给你见过的最好的‘一打’的丈夫。 —

Now attend to me, little girl. There’s a fine chance for you; —
现在听好了,小女孩。这对你来说是个好机会; —

you can put your six thousand francs into government funds, and you will receive every six months nearly two hundred francs interest, without taxes, or repairs, or frost, or hail, or floods, or anything else to swallow up the money. —
你可以把你的六千法郎投资到政府基金里,你每六个月就会收到近两百法郎的利息,免去税收、修理、霜冻、冰雹、洪水或其他消耗金钱的事情。 —

Perhaps you don’t like to part with your gold, hey, my girl? —
也许你不想走掉你的金子,对吧,我的女孩? —

Never mind, bring it to me all the same. —
没关系,还是把它拿给我吧。 —

I’ll get you some more like it,—like those Dutch coins and the portugaises, the rupees of Mogul, and the genovines,—I’ll give you some more on your fete-days, and in three years you’ll have got back half your little treasure. —
我会给你更多的,就像那些荷兰硬币和葡萄牙里尔,摩卡尔的卢比,还有热那亚金币,我会在你的节日给你更多,三年后你就能拿回你一半的小宝藏。 —

What’s that you say? Look up, now. Come, go and get it, the precious metal. —
你说什么?现在抬头看看。快去找它,那珍贵的金属。 —

You ought to kiss me on the eyelids for telling you the secrets and the mysteries of the life and death of money. —
为了告诉你财富的秘密和生死的奥秘,你应该亲吻我的眼睛。 —

Yes, silver and gold live and swarm like men; —
是的,银和金就像男人一样生长和繁殖; —

they come, and go, and sweat, and multiply—”
它们来了,又走了,汗流不止,不断增多——”

Eugenie rose; but after making a few steps towards the door she turned abruptly, looked her father in the face, and said,—
尤金妮站起来;但走到门口时突然转身,直视她父亲,说道,

“I have not got my gold.”
“我没有我的金子。”

“You have not got your gold!” cried Grandet, starting up erect, like a horse that hears a cannon fired beside him.
“你没有你的金子!”格朗代挺身而起,像听到旁边响起一声炮响的马一样。

“No, I have not got it.”
“没有,我没有。”

“You are mistaken, Eugenie.”
“你错了,尤金妮。”

“No.”
“没有。”

“By the shears of my father!”
“以我父亲的剪刀!”

Whenever the old man swore that oath the rafters trembled.
老人发誓时,屋梁都会颤抖。

“Holy Virgin! Madame is turning pale,” cried Nanon.
“圣母!夫人脸色苍白了”,南农赫然大叫。

“Grandet, your anger will kill me,” said the poor mother.
“Grandet,你的愤怒会害死我,”可怜的母亲说道。

“Ta, ta, ta, ta! nonsense; you never die in your family! —
“噢,噢,噢,别胡说八道;在你们家里可没人会死!” —

Eugenie, what have you done with your gold? —
“尤金,你把金子怎么样了呢?” —

” he cried, rushing upon her.
他冲着她大叫道。

“Monsieur,” said the daughter, falling at Madame Grandet’s knees, “my mother is ill. —
“先生,”女儿跪在Grandet夫人膝前说,“妈妈病了。 —

Look at her; do not kill her.”
瞧,她的样子;别要害死她。”

Grandet was frightened by the pallor which overspread his wife’s face, usually so yellow.
Grandet被他妻子脸上泛白的惊吓住了,平时那么黄的脸变得苍白。

“Nanon, help me to bed,” said the poor woman in a feeble voice; “I am dying—”
“Nanon,帮我上床,”可怜的妇人用虚弱的声音说道,“我快死了——”

Nanon gave her mistress an arm, Eugenie gave her another; —
Nanon扶着女主人的一只手臂,尤金扶着另一只; —

but it was only with infinite difficulty that they could get her upstairs, she fell with exhaustion at every step. —
但她们每走一步都需要费尽全力,她每迈一步都虚弱地跌倒。 —

Grandet remained alone. However, in a few moments he went up six or eight stairs and called out,—
Grandet留在下面一个人。然而,几分钟后,他上去了六七级台阶,喊道,—

“Eugenie, when your mother is in bed, come down.”
“尤金,当你母亲上床后,下来。”

“Yes, father.”
“是的,爸爸。”

She soon came, after reassuring her mother.
她安慰了母亲后很快就来了。

“My daughter,” said Grandet, “you will now tell me what you have done with your gold.”
“我女儿,”Grandet说,“你现在告诉我你金子怎么样了。”

“My father, if you make me presents of which I am not the sole mistress, take them back,” she answered coldly, picking up the napoleon from the chimney-piece and offering it to him.
“父亲,如果你送给我的礼物不是我一个人的,那么就收回去吧,”她冷冷地回答道,从壁炉架上拿起那枚拿破仑金币递给他。

Grandet seized the coin and slipped it into his breeches’ pocket.
格朗代特抓住金币,塞进了裤兜里。

“I shall certainly never give you anything again. Not so much as that! —
“我确实再也不会再给你什么了。一点也不能! —

” he said, clicking his thumb-nail against a front tooth. “Do you dare to despise your father? —
”他边这样说着,一边用拇指甲敲击着门牙。“你敢看不起你的父亲吗? —

have you no confidence in him? Don’t you know what a father is? —
“你对他没有信心吗?难道你不知道一个父亲是什么样的吗? —

If he is nothing for you, he is nothing at all. Where is your gold?”
“如果他对你毫无意义,那他对你就是毫无意义。你的金子在哪里?”

“Father, I love and respect you, in spite of your anger; —
“父亲,尽管您生气,我仍然爱戴和尊重您; —

but I humbly ask you to remember that I am twenty-three years old. —
但我请求您谦卑地记住,我已经二十三岁了。 —

You have told me often that I have attained my majority, and I do not forget it. —
您经常告诉我已经成年了,我没有忘记。 —

I have used my money as I chose to use it, and you may be sure that it was put to a good use—”
我用我的钱是按照我自己的选择来使用的,您可以放心,它是用在了正当的地方——”

“What use?”
“用在了哪里?”

“That is an inviolable secret,” she answered. “Have you no secrets?”
“这是一个不可泄露的秘密,”她回答道。“您没有秘密吗?”

“I am the head of the family; I have my own affairs.”
“我是这个家庭的当家人,我有我的事情。”

“And this is mine.”
“而这是我的事情。”

“It must be something bad if you can’t tell it to your father, Mademoiselle Grandet.”
“如果你连对你的父亲都不能说,那一定是些坏事,格朗代小姐。”

“It is good, and I cannot tell it to my father.”
“这太好了,我不能告诉我父亲。”

“At least you can tell me when you parted with your gold?”
“至少你可以告诉我,你什么时候和你的黄金分开了?”

Eugenie made a negative motion with her head.
Eugenie摇了摇头表示否定。

“You had it on your birthday, hein?”
“你生日的时候还有它,对吗?”

She grew as crafty through love as her father was through avarice, and reiterated the negative sign.
她因爱而变得像她父亲那样狡猾,一再摇头表示否定。

“Was there ever such obstinacy! It’s a theft,” cried Grandet, his voice going up in a crescendo which gradually echoed through the house. —
“多么顽固啊!这是一种偷窃,”Grandet大叫道,他的声音越来越高,逐渐在整个房子里回荡。 —

“What! here, in my own home, under my very eyes, somebody has taken your gold! —
“什么!在我的家里,在我的眼皮底下,有人拿走了你的黄金! —

—the only gold we have!—and I’m not to know who has got it! Gold is a precious thing. —
- 这是我们唯一的黄金!-我难道不应该知道谁拿走了吗!黄金是宝贵的东西。 —

Virtuous girls go wrong sometimes, and give—I don’t know what; —
贞洁的姑娘有时也会出错,并给予-我不知道什么; —

they do it among the great people, and even among the bourgeoisie. —
在大人物中,甚至在市民中,他们这样做。 —

But give their gold!—for you have given it to some one, hein?—”
但是给他们的黄金!-因为你把它给了某人,对吗?-”

Eugenie was silent and impassive.
Eugenie沉默而冷漠。

“Was there ever such a daughter? Is it possible that I am your father? —
“难道曾经有过这样的女儿吗?难道我就是你的父亲吗? —

If you have invested it anywhere, you must have a receipt—”
如果你把它投资在某处,你一定有收据-”

“Was I free—yes or no—to do what I would with my own? Was it not mine?”
“我是否有自由-是或不是-可以对我自己做任何想做的事?难道不是我的吗?”

“You are a child.”
“你还是个孩子。”

“Of age.”
“已经成年了。”

Dumbfounded by his daughter’s logic, Grandet turned pale and stamped and swore. —
Grandet对女儿的逻辑感到惊讶,变得苍白,跺脚并咒骂。 —

When at last he found words, he cried: “Serpent! Cursed girl! Ah, deceitful creature! —
最终他终于开口,大声喊道:“毒蛇!可恶的女孩!啊,奸诈的家伙! —

You know I love you, and you take advantage of it. She’d cut her father’s throat! Good God! —
你知道我爱你,你却占了上风。她会割断自己的父亲喉咙!天哪! —

you’ve given our fortune to that ne’er-do-well,—that dandy with morocco boots! —
你把我们的财产给了那个不中用的家伙,那个穿着摩洛哥皮靴的花花公子! —

By the shears of my father! I can’t disinherit you, but I curse you,—you and your cousin and your children! —
我一定不能剥夺你的继承权,但我诅咒你,你和你的表兄弟及你们的孩子们! —

Nothing good will come of it! Do you hear? If it was to Charles—but, no; —
什么好处都没有!听见没有?如果是为了查尔斯——但,不; —

it’s impossible. What! has that wretched fellow robbed me?—”
这是不可能的。怎么啦!那个可恶的家伙把我的钱骗去了吗?——”

He looked at his daughter, who continued cold and silent.
他看着女儿,她仍然冷漠沉默。

“She won’t stir; she won’t flinch! She’s more Grandet than I’m Grandet! Ha! —
“她一动不动;她一丝不苟!她比我还像Grandet!哈! —

you have not given your gold for nothing? —
你把你的黄金拿出来,不是毫无原因吧? —

Come, speak the truth!”
快,说出实情!”

Eugenie looked at her father with a sarcastic expression that stung him.
Eugenie以刻薄的表情看着她的父亲,刺痛了他。

“Eugenie, you are here, in my house,—in your father’s house. —
“Eugenie,你在这里,在我的房子里,在你父亲的房子里。” —

If you wish to stay here, you must submit yourself to me. The priests tell you to obey me. —
如果你想留在这里,你必须服从我。神父们告诉你要听我的话。 —

” Eugenie bowed her head. “You affront me in all I hold most dear. —
尤金妮低下了头。“你侮辱了我最珍视的一切。 —

I will not see you again until you submit. Go to your chamber. —
除非你屈服,否则我再也不想见你。去你的房间。 —

You will stay there till I give you permission to leave it. —
你会呆在那里,直到我允许你离开。 —

Nanon will bring you bread and water. You hear me—go!”
娜农会给你带面包和水。你听到了—走!

Eugenie burst into tears and fled up to her mother. —
尤金妮泪流满面,逃向了她的母亲。 —

Grandet, after marching two or three times round the garden in the snow without heeding the cold, suddenly suspected that his daughter had gone to her mother; —
格朗代在雪地里来回走了两三圈,完全不顾寒冷,突然怀疑他的女儿去找她的母亲了; —

only too happy to find her disobedient to his orders, he climbed the stairs with the agility of a cat and appeared in Madame Grandet’s room just as she was stroking Eugenie’s hair, while the girl’s face was hidden in her motherly bosom.
他非常高兴地发现她不听从他的命令,他像猫一样敏捷地爬上楼梯,出现在了格朗代太太的房间,就在她正在抚摸尤金妮的头发时,女孩的脸埋在母亲的怀里。

“Be comforted, my poor child,” she was saying; “your father will get over it.”
“安慰一下,我可怜的孩子,”她说,“你父亲会从这里走出来的。”

“She has no father!” said the old man. —
“她没有父亲!”老人说。 —

“Can it be you and I, Madame Grandet, who have given birth to such a disobedient child? —
“难道我们不是给这样一个不听话的孩子生的么,格朗代太太? —

A fine education,—religious, too! Well! —
一所很好的教育,还是宗教教育!哼! —

why are you not in your chamber? Come, to prison, to prison, mademoiselle!”
你为什么不在你的房间?快去,到监狱去,小姐!”

“Would you deprive me of my daughter, monsieur? —
“难道你要剥夺我女儿吗,先生? —

” said Madame Grandet, turning towards him a face that was now red with fever.
”格朗代太太转过头来看着他,脸上现在发烧了。

“If you want to keep her, carry her off! Clear out—out of my house, both of you! —
“如果你想留住她,就把她带走!赶快滚出我的房子,你们俩都滚!” —

Thunder! where is the gold? what’s become of the gold?”
“雷响!黄金在哪里?黄金怎么了?”

Eugenie rose, looked proudly at her father, and withdrew to her room. —
尤金妮站起来,骄傲地看着她的父亲,然后退回了她的房间。 —

Grandet turned the key of the door.
格朗代特转动了门锁。

“Nanon,” he cried, “put out the fire in the hall.”
“奈农,”他喊道,“把大厅里的火熄灭。”

Then he sat down in an armchair beside his wife’s fire and said to her,—
然后他坐在妻子的火炉旁的一把扶手椅上,对她说,

“Undoubtedly she has given the gold to that miserable seducer, Charles, who only wanted our money.”
“毫无疑问,她把黄金给了那个可怜的引诱者查尔斯,他只想要我们的钱。”

“I knew nothing about it,” she answered, turning to the other side of the bed, that she might escape the savage glances of her husband. —
“我一无所知,”她回答道,转身面向床的另一侧,以避开丈夫那野蛮的眼神。 —

“I suffer so much from your violence that I shall never leave this room, if I trust my own presentiments, till I am carried out of it in my coffin. —
“我因为你的暴力而受苦,如果我相信我自己的预感,我将永远不会离开这个房间,直到被抬出去放在棺材里。 —

You ought to have spared me this suffering, monsieur,—you, to whom I have caused no pain; —
你应该节制一下,先生,—你,我没有使你痛苦; —

that is, I think so. Your daughter loves you. I believe her to be as innocent as the babe unborn. —
就是这样,我想是这样的。你的女儿爱你。我认为她像未出生的婴儿一样纯洁无辜。 —

Do not make her wretched. Revoke your sentence. —
别让她痛苦。撤销你的判决。 —

The cold is very severe; you may give her some serious illness.”
天气非常严寒;你可能把她弄得病倒。”

“I will not see her, neither will I speak to her. —
“我不想见她,也不打算和她说话。 —

She shall stay in her room, on bread and water, until she submits to her father. What the devil! —
她应该呆在她的房间里,只吃面包和水,直到她顺从她的父亲。见鬼! —

shouldn’t a father know where the gold in his house has gone to? —
一个父亲难道不应该知道他家里的黄金去了哪里吗? —

She owned the only rupees in France, perhaps, and the Dutch ducats and the genovines—”
她可能是法国唯一拥有卢比的人,还有荷兰达克特和热那亚的金币—

“Monsieur, Eugenie is our only child; and even if she had thrown them into the water—”
“先生,欧仁妮是我们唯一的孩子;即使她把它们扔进水里—

“Into the water!” cried her husband; “into the water! You are crazy, Madame Grandet! —
“扔进水里!”她丈夫叫道;“扔进水里!你疯了,格朗代太太! —

What I have said is said; you know that well enough. —
我说过的话,你很清楚。 —

If you want peace in this household, make your daughter confess, pump it out of her. —
如果你想在这个家里有和平,让你女儿坦白,跟她把话挤出来。 —

Women understand how to do that better than we do. Whatever she has done, I sha’n’t eat her. —
女人比我们更懂得如何做。无论她做了什么,我也不会吃她。 —

Is she afraid of me? Even if she has plastered Charles with gold from head to foot, he is on the high seas, and nobody can get at him, hein!”
她害怕我吗?即使她把查尔斯从头到脚都镀金了,他现在正在航海,谁也想不到他,对吧!”

“But, monsieur—” Excited by the nervous crisis through which she had passed, and by the fate of her daughter, which brought forth all her tenderness and all her powers of mind, Madame Grandet suddenly observed a frightful movement of her husband’s wen, and, in the very act of replying, she changed her speech without changing the tones of her voice,—“But, monsieur, I have not more influence over her than you have. —
“但是,先生—”受到她刚刚经历的神经危机和她女儿的命运所影响,这使她所有的温柔和所有的头脑力量一下子显现出来,格朗代太太突然注意到了她丈夫瘤瘤的可怕运动,而在回答的时候,她改变了话题但音调却仍然不变,“但是,先生,我对她没有比你更多的影响力。 —

She has said nothing to me; she takes after you.”
她对我没说什么;她像你一样。”

“Tut, tut! Your tongue is hung in the middle this morning. Ta, ta, ta, ta! —
“嘘,嘘!你今天早上真的话太多。嘟,嘟,嘟,嘟! —

You are setting me at defiance, I do believe. —
你要挑战我,我看。 —

I daresay you are in league with her.”
我敢说你是跟她串通好了。”

He looked fixedly at his wife.
他定定地看着他的妻子。

“Monsieur Grandet, if you wish to kill me, you have only to go on like this. —
“格朗代先生,如果你想要杀死我,你只需要继续这样做。” —

I tell you, monsieur,—and if it were to cost me my life, I would say it,—you do wrong by your daughter; —
我告诉您,先生,即使要以我的生命为代价,我也要说,您对您的女儿做错了; —

she is more in the right than you are. That money belonged to her; —
她比您更加正确。那笔钱本来就属于她; —

she is incapable of making any but a good use of it, and God alone has the right to know our good deeds. —
她无法做出除了善行以外的事情,只有上帝才有权知晓我们的善行。 —

Monsieur, I implore you, take Eugenie back into favor; forgive her. —
先生,请恳求您,原谅尤金妮,让她重新得到您的宠爱。 —

If you will do this you will lessen the injury your anger has done me; —
如果您这样做,就能减轻您的愤怒给我的伤害; —

perhaps you will save my life. My daughter! —
也许您还会救下我的生命。我的女儿! —

oh, monsieur, give me back my daughter!”
噢,先生,请还我女儿!

“I shall decamp,” he said; “the house is not habitable. —
“我要离开这里了,”他说,“这房子已经不适合居住。 —

A mother and daughter talking and arguing like that! Broooouh! Pouah! —
一对母女像那样谈话争吵!呸! —

A fine New Year’s present you’ve made me, Eugenie,” he called out. “Yes, yes, cry away! —
尤金妮,你给了我一个多么好的新年礼物啊,”他喊道。“是的,是的,尽管哭吧! —

What you’ve done will bring you remorse, do you hear? —
你所做的会给你带来悔恨,你听到了吗? —

What’s the good of taking the sacrament six times every three months, if you give away your father’s gold secretly to an idle fellow who’ll eat your heart out when you’ve nothing else to give him? —
每三个月去领圣餐六次有什么好处,如果你私下将父亲的金子给一个懒散的家伙,等你别无所给的时候他会嚼食你的心脏? —

You’ll find out some day what your Charles is worth, with his morocco boots and supercilious airs. He has got neither heart nor soul if he dared to carry off a young girl’s treasure without the consent of her parents.”
有一天你会发现查尔斯到底值多少钱,穿着摩洛哥皮靴,摆出傲慢的姿态。如果他敢在未经父母同意的情况下带走一个年轻女孩的珍宝,那他既没有心也没有灵魂。”

When the street-door was shut, Eugenie came out of her room and went to her mother.
当街门被关上后,尤金妮走出她的房间去找她妈妈。

“What courage you have had for your daughter’s sake!” she said.
“为了你女儿的缘故你真是多么有勇气啊!”她说。

“Ah! my child, see where forbidden things may lead us. You forced me to tell a lie.”
“啊!我的孩子,看看违禁的事情会把我们引向何处。你逼我撒谎。”

“I will ask God to punish only me.”
“我会请求上帝只惩罚我。”

“Is it true,” cried Nanon, rushing in alarmed, “that mademoiselle is to be kept on bread and water for the rest of her life?”
“难道是真的吗,”纳儿惊慌地冲进来,“小姐要终身吃面包和水吗?”

“What does that signify, Nanon?” said Eugenie tranquilly.
“那有什么关系,纳儿?”尤热妮平静地说。

“Goodness! do you suppose I’ll eat frippe when the daughter of the house is eating dry bread? No, no!”
“天哪!你以为我会吃煎炸食物,当家里的女儿在吃干面包吗?不,不!”

“Don’t say a word about all this, Nanon,” said Eugenie.
“关于这一切,纳儿,别说一句话,”尤热妮说。

“I’ll be as mute as a fish; but you’ll see!”
“我会像鱼一样沉默;但你等着瞧!”

Grandet dined alone for the first time in twenty-four years.
格朗代第一次二十四年来独自用餐。

“So you’re a widower, monsieur,” said Nanon; —
“所以您是个鳏夫,先生,”纳儿说; —

“it must be disagreeable to be a widower with two women in the house.”
“在家里有两个女人的情况下成为鳏夫一定很不愉快。”

“I did not speak to you. Hold your jaw, or I’ll turn you off! —
“我没和你说话。闭嘴,要不我就把你赶走! —

What is that I hear boiling in your saucepan on the stove?”
你在炉子上煮的是什么呢?”。

“It is grease I’m trying out.”
“我正在试制油脂。”

“There will be some company to-night. Light the fire.”
“今晚会有一些客人。生火。”

The Cruchots, Madame des Grassins, and her son arrived at the usual hour of eight, and were surprised to see neither Madame Grandet nor her daughter.
克吕舒一家,德·格拉桑太太和她的儿子在八点钟的惯例时间到达,惊讶地发现既没有格朗代夫人也没有她的女儿。

“My wife is not very well, and Eugenie is with her,” said the old wine-grower, whose face betrayed no emotion.
“我的妻子身体不太好,尤金正在照顾她。”这位老酿酒师说,脸上没有流露出任何情绪。

At the end of an hour spent in idle conversation, Madame des Grassins, who had gone up to see Madame Grandet, came down, and every one inquired,—
一个小时的闲聊结束后,曾去看望格朗代夫人的德·格拉桑夫人下来了,大家都问道,

“How is Madame Grandet?”
“格朗代夫人怎么样了?”

“Not at all well,” she answered; “her condition seems to me really alarming. —
“情况一点也不好,她的状况真的令人担忧。 —

At her age you ought to take every precaution, Papa Grandet.”
在她这个岁数,你应该采取一切预防措施,格朗代先生。”

“We’ll see about it,” said the old man in an absent way.
“我们会考虑的,”老人心不在焉地说道。

They all wished him good-night. When the Cruchots got into the street Madame des Grassins said to them,—
他们都向他道晚安。当克吕舒一家走出街道时,德·格拉桑夫人对他们说,

“There is something going on at the Grandets. The mother is very ill without her knowing it. —
“格朗代家里有事情发生了。母亲病得很厉害,她自己却不知情。 —

The girl’s eyes are red, as if she had been crying all day. —
那姑娘的眼睛红红的,看起来好像整天在哭。 —

Can they be trying to marry her against her will?”
难道他们要违背她的意愿强行订婚她吗?”

When Grandet had gone to bed Nanon came softly to Eugenie’s room in her stockinged feet and showed her a pate baked in a saucepan.
当格朗代上床睡觉后,纳农穿着袜子悄悄来到尤金妮的房间,并拿出一个砂锅里烤好的肉馅饼给她看。

“See, mademoiselle,” said the good soul, “Cornoiller gave me a hare. —
“瞧,小姐,”那善良的灵魂说,“科尔努耶给了我一只野兔。 —

You eat so little that this pate will last you full a week; —
你吃得这么少,这个肉馅饼可以让你吃一个星期; —

in such frosty weather it won’t spoil. —
在这寒冷的天气里它不会变质。 —

You sha’n’t live on dry bread, I’m determined; —
我决心让你不要只吃干面包;” —

it isn’t wholesome.”
“这不是健康的。”

“Poor Nanon!” said Eugenie, pressing her hand.
“可怜的娜农!”尤金妮说着,握着她的手。

“I’ve made it downright good and dainty, and he never found it out. —
“我把它做得非常好,非常精致,他从来没发现过。 —

I bought the lard and the spices out of my six francs: —
我用我那六法郎买了猪油和香料; —

I’m the mistress of my own money”; and she disappeared rapidly, fancying she heard Grandet.
我是自己钱的主人。”她迅速消失了,仿佛听到了格朗代的脚步声。