When I woke in the morning I went to the window and looked out. —
当我早上醒来时,我走到窗前往外看去。 —

It had cleared and there were no clouds on the mountains. —
天已放晴,山上没有云。 —

Outside under the window were some carts and an old diligence, the wood of the roof cracked and split by the weather. —
窗外有几辆车和一辆老式马车,车顶的木料因天气的侵蚀而裂开。 —

It must have been left from the days before the motor-buses. —
这辆马车一定是汽车出现之前的遗留物。 —

A goat hopped up on one of the carts and then to the roof of the diligence. —
一只山羊跳上了一辆车,然后跳到了马车的屋顶上。 —

He jerked his head at the other goats below and when I waved at him he bounded down.
它对下面的其他山羊摇了摇头,当我向它挥手时,它就跳了下去。

Bill was still sleeping, so I dressed, put on my shoes outside in the hall, and went down-stairs. —
比尔还在睡觉,所以我穿好衣服,把鞋子放在走廊外面,然后下楼。 —

No one was stirring down-stairs, so I unbolted the door and went out. —
楼下没有人活动,于是我打开门走了出去。 —

It was cool outside in the early morning and the sun had not yet dried the dew that had come when the wind died down. —
早晨外面凉爽,阳光还没有干掉风停时形成的露水。 —

I hunted around in the shed behind the inn and found a sort of mattock, and went down toward the stream to try and dig some worms for bait. —
我在客栈后面的棚子里找到一把锄头,然后下到小溪边去挖一些鱼饵。 —

The stream was clear and shallow but it did not look trouty. —
小溪清澈浅静,但看起来不适合放鲑鱼。 —

On the grassy bank where it was damp I drove the mattock into the earth and loosened a chunk of sod. There were worms underneath. —
在湿润的草地上,我把锄头插入土壤,松动了一块草皮。地下有蠕虫。 —

They slid out of sight as I lifted the sod and I dug carefully and got a good many. —
我把草皮掀起时蠕虫滑落了,我小心挖了下去,挖到了不少。 —

Digging at the edge of the damp ground I filled two empty tobacco-tins with worms and sifted dirt onto them. —
在潮湿的地方挖,我用两个空的烟草罐装满了蠕虫,并在上面筛了土。 —

The goats watched me dig.
山羊们看着我挖。

When I went back into the inn the woman was down in the kitchen, and I asked her to get coffee for us, and that we wanted a lunch. —
当我回到客栈时,那位女士正在厨房里,我让她给我们冲咖啡,还要求她准备午餐。 —

Bill was awake and sitting on the edge of the bed.
比尔醒着坐在床边。

“I saw you out of the window,” he said. —
“我从窗户看见你了,”他说。 —

“Didn’t want to interrupt you. What were you doing? —
“不想打扰你。你在做什么? —

Burying your money?”
埋你的钱吗?”

   "You lazy bum!"

“你这懒汉!”

   "Been working for the common good? Splendid. I want you to do that every morning."

“为了公共利益而努力工作?太好了。我想让你每天都这样做。”

   "Come on," I said. "Get up."

“快起来吧。”

   "What? Get up? I never get up."

“什么?起来?我从不起床。”

   He climbed into bed and pulled the sheet up to his chin.

他爬上床,拉起被子,盖住下巴。

   "Try and argue me into getting up."

“试着说服我起来。”

   I went on looking for the tackle and putting it all together in the tackle-bag.

我继续找装备,把它们放在渔具袋里。

   "Aren't you interested?" Bill asked.

“你不感兴趣吗?”比尔问道。

   "I'm going down and eat."

“我要下去吃饭。”

“Eat? Why didn’t you say eat? I thought you just wanted me to get up for fun. Eat? —
“吃饭?为什么不直接说吃饭?我还以为你只是想逗我起床玩呢。吃饭? —

Fine. Now you’re reasonable. You go out and dig some more worms and I’ll be right down.”
好的,现在你理性了。你去外面挖些虫子,我就下去了。

   "Oh, go to hell!"

“啊,去死吧!”

   "Work for the good of all." Bill stepped into his underclothes. "Show irony and pity."

“为了大家的利益而工作。” 比尔穿上了他的衣裤。”表现出讽刺和怜悯。”

   I started out of the room with the tackle-bag, the nets, and the rod-case.

我带着渔具袋、网和钓竿套件走出了房间。

   "Hey! come back!"

“嘿!回来!”

   I put my head in the door.

我把头探进门。

   "Aren't you going to show a little irony and pity?"

“你难道不准备表现出一点讽刺和怜悯吗?”

   I thumbed my nose.

我朝自己的鼻子做了个鬼脸。

   "That's not irony."

“那不是讽刺。”

As I went down-stairs I heard Bill singing, “Irony and Pity. When you’re feeling… —
我下楼的时候听见比尔在唱,“讽刺和怜悯。当你感觉到…” —

Oh, Give them Irony and Give them Pity. Oh, give them Irony. When they’re feeling… —
“哦,给他们讽刺,给他们怜悯。哦,给他们讽刺。当他们感觉到…” —

Just a little irony. Just a little pity.. .” He kept on singing until he came down-stairs. —
“只是一点点讽刺。只是一点点怜悯…” 他一直唱着,直到下楼来。 —

The tune was: “The Bells are Ringing for Me and my Gal.” I was reading a week-old Spanish paper.
这首歌的曲调是: “铃声为我和我的女孩而响”. 我正在看一份一周前的西班牙报纸。

   "What's all this irony and pity?"

“这讽刺和怜悯是什么意思?”

   "What? Don't you know about Irony and Pity?"

“什么?你不知道讽刺和怜悯是什么吗?”

   "No. Who got it up?"

“不是谁上去的?”

   "Everybody. They're mad about it in New York. It's just like the Fratellinis used to be."

“所有人。他们在纽约都疯了。就像Fratellinis以前一样。”

The girl came in with the coffee and buttered toast. —
女孩拿着咖啡和涂了黄油的烤面包进来了。 —

Or, rather, it was bread toasted and buttered.
或者说,那是烤过并涂了黄油的面包。

   "Ask her if she's got any jam," Bill said. "Be ironical with her."

“问问她有没有果酱,“比尔说。”对她挖苦一下。”

   "Have you got any jam?"

“你们有果酱吗?”

   "That's not ironical. I wish I could talk Spanish."

“那不是挖苦。我希望我能说西班牙语。”

The coffee was good and we drank it out of big bowls. —
咖啡很好,我们用大碗喝。 —

The girl brought in a glass dish of raspberry jam.
女孩端来一个玻璃碟装着覆盆子果酱。

   "Thank you."

“谢谢。”

“Hey! that’s not the way,” Bill said. —
“嘿! 这不对,“比尔说。 —

“Say something ironical. Make some crack about Primo de Rivera.”
“说点挖苦的话。拿普里莫·德·里韦拉开开玩笑吧。”

   "I could ask her what kind of a jam they think they've gotten into in the Riff."

“我可以问她,他们认为他们在里夫(Riff)进了什么样的果酱。”

“Poor,” said Bill. “Very poor. You can’t do it. That’s all. —
“可怜,“比尔说。”非常可怜。你做不到。这就是。 —

You don’t understand irony. You have no pity. —
你不懂得讽刺。你没有怜悯心。 —

Say something pitiful.”
说点可怜的事情。

   "Robert Cohn."

“罗伯特·科恩。”

   "Not so bad. That's better. Now why is Cohn pitiful? Be ironic."

“还不错。那就更好了。那么为什么科恩可怜呢?要反讽。”

   He took a big gulp of coffee.

他大口喝了一口咖啡。

   "Aw, hell!" I said. "It's too early in the morning."

“啊,该死!”我说。“现在还太早了。”

“There you go. And you claim you want to be a writei too. You’re only a newspaper man. —
“就是这样。你还说自己想成为作家。你只是个报人而已。 —

An expatriated newspaper man. You ought to be ironical the minute you get out of bed. —
一个被驱逐出境的报人。你应该一出床就开始反讽。 —

You ought to wake up with your mouth full of pity.”
你应该醒来时口中充满怜悯之词。”

   "Go on," I said. "Who did you get this stuff from?"

“继续说,”我说。“这些话你是从谁那里听来的?”

“Everybody. Don’t you read? Don’t you ever see anybody? You know what you are? —
“每个人。你不读书吗?你从来不见人吗?你知道你是什么吗? —

You’re an expatriate. Why don’t you live in New York? Then you’d know these things. —
你是个被驱逐出国的人。为什么不住在纽约呢?那样你就会懂这些事情。 —

What do you want me to do? Come over here and tell you every year?”
你想要我怎么做?每年都跑过来告诉你吗?”

   "Take some more coffee," I said.

“再喝点咖啡,”我说。

“Good. Coffee is good for you. It’s the caffeine in it. Caffeine, we are here. —
“好的。咖啡对你有好处。里面含有咖啡因。咖啡因,我们就在这里。 —

Caffeine puts a man on her horse and a woman in his grave. You know what’s the trouble with you? —
咖啡因让男人骑在马上,让女人入土为安。你知道你的问题是什么吗?” —

You’re an expatriate. One of the worst type. Haven’t you heard that? —
你是一个侨民。最糟糕的类型之一。没听说过吗? —

Nobody that ever left their own country ever wrote anything worth printing. —
没有一个离开自己国家的人写过值得印刷的东西。 —

Not even in the newspapers.”
甚至报纸上也没有。

   He drank the coffee.

他喝了咖啡。

“You’re an expatriate. You’ve lost touch with the soil. You get precious. —
你是一个侨民。你与这片土地脱节了。变得珍贵起来。 —

Fake European standards have ruined you. You drink yourself to death. You become obsessed by sex. —
虚假的欧洲标准毁了你。你喝到自己丧命。你被性所迷。 —

You spend all your time talking, not working. —
你把所有的时间都花在说话上,而不是工作上。 —

You are an expatriate, see? You hang around cafés.”
你是一个侨民,明白吗?你总是在咖啡馆里闲逛。

   "It sounds like a swell life," I said. "When do I work?"

“听起来不错,” 我说。 “那我什么时候工作?”

   "You don't work. One group claims women support you. Another group claims you're impotent."

“你不工作。有一群人说是女人养着你。另一群人说你阳痿。”

   "No," I said. "I just had an accident."

“不,” 我说。 “我只是出了点意外。”

“Never mention that,” Bill said. “That’s the sort of thing that can’t be spoken of. —
“永远不要提起那个,” 比尔说。 “那种事是不能谈论的。 —

That’s what you ought to work up into a mystery. Like Henry’s bicycle.”
那就是你应该把它打造成一个谜。像亨利的自行车那样。”

He had been going splendidly, but he stopped. —
他本来说得很顺利,但停了下来。 —

I was afraid he thought he had hurt me with that crack about being impotent. —
我担心他认为他用那句关于阳痿的话冒犯了我。 —

I wanted to start him again.
我想重新开始他。

   "It wasn't a bicycle," I said. "He was riding horseback."

“那不是骑自行车,”我说。“他是骑马的。”

   "I heard it was a tricycle."

“我听说是三轮车。”

   "Well," I said. "A plane is sort of like a tricycle. The joystick works the same way."

“嗯,”我说。“飞机有点像三轮车。操纵杆的操作方式是一样的。”

   "But you don't pedal it."

“但你不用蹬它。”

   "No," I said, "I guess you don't pedal it."

“是的,”我说,“我想你是不用蹬它。”

   "Let's lay off that," Bill said.

“我们别再谈这个了,”比尔说。

   "All right. I was just standing up for the tricycle."

“好的。我只是在为三轮车说话。”

“I think he’s a good writer, too,” Bill said. —
“我觉得他也是个好作家,”比尔说。 —

“And you’re a hell of a good guy. Anybody ever tell you were a good guy?”
“而且你是一个非常好的人。有人告诉过你是个好人吗?”

   "I'm not a good guy."

“我不是个好人。”

“Listen. You’re a hell of a good guy, and I’m fonder of you than anybody on earth. —
“听着。你是一个非常好的人,我比地球上任何人都更喜欢你。” —

I couldn’t tell you that in New York. It’d mean I was a faggot. —
在纽约我不能告诉你这个。那会意味着我是个同性恋。 —

That was what the Civil War was about. Abraham Lincoln was a faggot. —
这就是内战的原因。亚伯拉罕·林肯是个同性恋。 —

He was in love with General Grant. So was Jefferson Davis. Lincoln just freed the slaves on a bet. —
他爱上了格兰特将军。杰斐逊·戴维斯也是。林肯只是为了赌注解放了奴隶。 —

The Dred Scott case was framed by the Anti-Saloon League. Sex explains it all. —
德雷德·斯科特案由反酒精联盟构筑。性解释一切。 —

The Colonel’s Lady and Judy O’Grady are Lesbians under their skin.”
上校的女士和朱迪·奥格雷迪在他们的皮肤下是女同性恋者。

   He stopped.

他停下了。

   "Want to hear some more?"

“还想听更多吗?”

   "Shoot," I said.

“射吧,”我说。

   "I don't know any more. Tell you some more at lunch."

“我不知道还有什么。等午餐时告诉你更多。

   "Old Bill," I said.

“老比尔,”我说。

   "You bum!"

“你这个流浪汉!”

We packed the lunch and two bottles of wine in the rucksack, and Bill put it on. —
我们把午餐和两瓶酒装进背包,比尔背在了背上。 —

I carried the rod-case and the landing-nets slung over my back. —
我背着钓竿箱和网拴, hung在我的背后。 —

We started up the road and then went across a meadow and found a path that crossed the fields and went toward the woods on the slope of the first hill. —
我们走上了公路,然后穿过了一个草地,找到一条穿过田野朝着第一座山坡上的树林的小路。 —

We walked across the fields on the sandy path. —
我们沿着沙土小路穿过田野。 —

The fields were rolling and grassy and the grass was short from the sheep grazing. —
田野起伏,草地郁郁葱葱,由于羊的放牧而草短。 —

The cattle were up in the hills. We heard their bells in the woods.
牛群在山上。我们听到它们在树林中的铃声。

The path crossed a stream on a foot-log. —
小路通过一条脚踏板横跨了一条小溪。 —

The log was surfaced off, and there was a sapling bent across for a rail. —
这根原木已经被拼整了,一根幼树横跨着作为栏杆。 —

In the flat pool beside the stream tadpoles spotted the sand. —
在溪流旁边的平静水池中,蝌蚪在沙滩上游动。 —

We went up a steep bank and across the rolling fields. —
我们爬上一座陡峭的岸坡,穿过连绵起伏的田野。 —

Looking back we saw Burguete, white houses and red roofs, and the white road with a truck going along it and the dust rising.
回头望去,我们看到了布尔格特,那里是一片白色房屋和红色屋顶,还有白色的道路上一辆卡车在行驶,掀起了尘土。

Beyond the fields we crossed another faster-flowing stream. —
跨过田野后我们穿过了另一条流水更急的溪流。 —

A sandy road led down to the ford and beyond into the woods. —
一条沙道通往浅滩,再往前就是树林。 —

The path crossed the stream on another foot-log below the ford, and joined the road, and we went into the woods.
小径在浅滩下的另一根踏板上穿过溪流,和道路相连,我们走进了树林。

It was a beech wood and the trees were very old. —
这是一片山毛榉树林,树木非常古老。 —

Their roots bulked above the ground and the branches were twisted. —
它们的根须高高挺起,树枝扭曲。 —

We walked on the road between the thick trunks of the old beeches and the sunlight came through the leaves in light patches on the grass. —
我们走在老山毛榉树的浓密树干之间,阳光透过树叶洒在草地上。 —

The trees were big, and the foliage was thick but it was not gloomy. —
这些树叶很大,枝叶浓密但并不阴暗。 —

There was no undergrowth, only the smooth grass, very green and fresh, and the big gray trees well spaced as though it were a park.
地面上没有低矮的植物,只有翠绿清新的平滑草地,大树树干之间有规律地分布着,就像一座公园。

   "This is country," Bill said.

“这才是真正的乡村,” 比尔说。

The road went up a hill and we got into thick woods, and the road kept on climbing. —
道路一直爬坡,我们穿过浓密的树林,道路不停地攀升。 —

Sometimes it dipped down but rose again steeply. All the time we heard the cattle in the woods. —
有时会下降,但立刻又陡然上升。一直能听见树林里的牲畜声。 —

Finally, the road came out on the top of the hills. —
最后,这条路出现在了山顶。 —

We were on the top of the height of land that was the highest part of the range of wooded hills we had seen from Burguete. —
我们站在了一片林木覆盖的山脊上,这是我们从布尔盖特看到的山脉中最高的部分。 —

There were wild strawberries growing on the sunny side of the ridge in a little clearing in the trees.
在林间的一片小空地里,阳光灿烂的一侧长着野草莓。

Ahead the road came out of the forest and went along the shoulder of the ridge of hills. —
前方的路从森林中走出,沿着山脊的路肩延伸。 —

The hills ahead were not wooded, and there were great fields of yellow gorse. —
前方的山丘上没有树木,大片的黄色空花。 —

Way off we saw the steep bluffs, dark with trees and jutting with gray stone, that marked the course of the Irati River.
远处我们看到了陡峭的悬崖,林木阴暗,被灰色的岩石突出,标志着伊拉蒂河的流域。

   "We have to follow this road along the ridge, cross these hills, go through the woods on the far hills, and come down to the Irati valley," I pointed out to Bill.

“我们必须沿着这条路顺着山脊前行,穿过这些山丘,穿过远处的树林,然后下到伊拉蒂河谷,” 我向比尔指出。

   "That's a hell of a hike."

“这是一场艰难的徒步旅行。”

   "It's too far to go and fish and come back the same day, comfortably."

“这是一段太远的路,要舒适地往返并进行钓鱼是不可能的。”

   "Comfortably. That's a nice word. We'll have to go like hell to get there and back and have any fishing at all."

“舒适地。这是个美好的词。我们必须拼命走才能往返并且还能有时间钓鱼。”

   It was a long walk and the country was very fine, but we were tired when we came down the steep road that led out of the wooded hills into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica.

徒步路程很长,风景非常美,但我们走下陡坡路,走出林木覆盖的山脊,来到了里奥德拉法布利卡河谷。

The road came out from the shadow of the woods into the hot sun. Ahead was a river-valley. —
路走出了树林的阴影,进入骄阳下。前方是一条河谷。 —

Beyond the river was a steep hill. There was a field of buckwheat on the hill. —
河对面是一座陡峭的山丘。山上有一片荞麦地。 —

We saw a white house under some trees on the hillside. —
我们看到山坡上一座白色房子,树荫下。 —

It was very hot and we stopped under some trees beside a dam that crossed the river.
天气非常炎热,我们停在了横跨河流的大坝旁边的树荫下。

   Bill put the pack against one of the trees and we jointed up the rods, put on the reels, tied on leaders, and got ready to fish.

比尔把包放在一棵树上,我们连接了钓竿,安装了卷线器,系上了主线,准备好钓鱼。

   "You're sure this thing has trout in it?" Bill asked.

“你确定这里有山鳟鱼吗?” 比尔问道。

   "It's full of them."

“这里塞满了山鳟鱼。”

   "I'm going to fish a fly. You got any McGintys?"

“我要用飞蝇钓。你有麦金蒂吗?”

   "There's some in there."

“包里有一些。”

   "You going to fish bait?"

“你要用饵料吗?”

   "Yeah. I'm going to fish the dam here."

“是的。我要在这里的水坝旁边钓。”

   "Well, I'll take the fly-book, then." He tied on a fly. "Where'd I better go? Up or down?"

“好吧,那我就拿飞蝇书了。” 他系上了一条飞蝇。“我应该走上还是下?”

   "Down is the best. They're plenty up above, too."

“下面比较好。上面也有很多。”

   Bill went down the bank.

比尔沿着岸边走下去。

   "Take a worm can."

“拿个虫罐。”

   "No, I don't want one. If they won't take a fly I'll just flick it around."

“不用了。如果它们不咬飞蝇,我就随便甩一下。”

   Bill was down below watching the stream.

比尔在下面观察着溪流。

“Say,” he called up against the noise of the dam. —
“喂,”他在水坝的噪音中喊道。 —

“How about putting the wine in that spring up the road?”
“怎么样,把酒放在山上的那个泉水里吗?”

“All right,” I shouted. Bill waved his hand and started down the stream. —
“好吧,”我大声喊道。比尔挥了挥手,开始沿着小溪走去。 —

I found the two wine-bottles in the pack, and carried them up the road to where the water of a spring flowed out of an iron pipe. —
我在包里找到了两瓶酒,然后把它们拿到路上,那里有一条铁管流出泉水。 —

There was a board over the spring and I lifted it and, knocking the corks firmly into the bottles, lowered them down into the water. —
泉眼上有一块木板,我把它掀开,将软木塞牢牢地敲进瓶子里,然后把它们放到水里。 —

It was so cold my hand and wrist felt numbed. —
水非常冰冷,我的手和手腕都感到麻木。 —

I put back the slab of wood, and hoped nobody would find the wine.
我把木板放回原处,希望没有人会发现那瓶酒。

I got my rod that was leaning against the tree, took the bait-can and landing-net, and walked out onto the dam. —
我拿起靠在树上的钓竿,拿上鱼饵桶和着陆网,走到水坝上。 —

It was built to provide a head of water for driving logs. —
这座水坝是为了提供驱动原木所需的水头而建造的。 —

The gate was up, and I sat on one of the squared timbers and watched the smooth apron of water before the river tumbled into the falls. —
闸门打开了,我坐在其中一个方正的梁上,看着河水瀑布前的平滑水面。 —

In the white water at the foot of the dam it was deep. —
在水坝脚下的激流中,水很深。 —

As I baited up, a trout shot up out of the white water into the falls and was carried down. —
当我在装鱼饵时,一条鳟鱼从激流中跃出,被冲向瀑布。 —

Before I could finish baiting, another trout jumped at the falls, making the same lovely arc and disappearing into the water that was thundering down. —
在我完成装鱼饵之前,另一条鳟鱼跳向瀑布,做出同样美丽的弧线,然后消失在隆隆而下的水中。 —

I put on a good-sized sinker and dropped into the white water close to the edge of the timbers of the dam.
我系上一个相当大的坠子,将其投入接近水坝梁边的激流中。

I did not feel the first trout strike. —
我没有感觉到第一条鳟鱼的攻击。 —

When I started to pull up I felt that I had one and brought him, fighting and bending the rod almost double, out of the boiling water at the foot of the falls, and swung him up and onto the dam. —
当我开始拉起时,我感觉到有一条,并且把它,战斗着,把钓竿几乎拉弯,从瀑布脚下的沸腾水中拖出来,然后把它摇摆起来,放到水坝上。 —

He was a good trout, and I banged his head against the timber so that he quivered out straight, and then slipped him into my bag.
它是一条好鳟鱼,我将它的头敲击在梁上,让它直直地颤抖,然后将它滑入我的袋子里。

While I had him on, several trout had jumped at the falls. —
当我把鱼钩扣上时,瀑布附近跳出了几条鳟鱼。 —

As soon as I baited up and dropped in again I hooked another and brought him in the same way. —
我立刻再次诱饵并重新投下,又勾住一条,用同样的方法把它拉上来。 —

In a little while I had six. They were all about the same size. —
不一会儿我就有六条鱼。它们都差不多大小。 —

I laid them out, side by side, all their heads pointing the same way, and looked at them. —
我把它们一字排开,头部朝向同一方向,看着它们。 —

They were beautifully colored and firm and hard from the cold water. —
它们的颜色漂亮,因为在冰冷的水里,鱼身挺拔坚硬。 —

It was a hot day, so I slit them all and shucked out the insides, gills and all, and tossed them over across the river. —
天气很热,所以我把它们剖开,取出内脏,包括鳃等,然后扔过河去。 —

I took the trout ashore, washed them in the cold, smoothly heavy water above the dam, and then picked some ferns and packed them all in the bag, three trout on a layer of ferns, then another layer of ferns, then three more trout, and then covered them with ferns. —
我带着鱼上岸,在大坝上面冰冷、平滑的水里洗净,然后摘下一些蕨类植物,把它们全部装进包里,每层三条鱼铺上一层蕨类植物,再三条鱼,再一层蕨类植物,然后用蕨类植物盖住。 —

They looked nice in the ferns, and now the bag was bulky, and I put it in the shade of the tree.
它们站在蕨类植物里显得很漂亮,现在包变得很鼓,我把它放在树荫下。

   It was very hot on the dam, so I put my worm-can in the shade with the bag, and got a book out of the pack and settled down under the tree to read until Bill should come up for lunch.

大坝上非常炎热,于是我把活饵罐也放在树荫下,从背包里拿出一本书,找个树下坐下,准备等比尔上来一起吃午饭。

It was a little past noon and there was not much shade, but I sat against the trunk of two of the trees that grew together, and read. —
已经过了正午一点多了,树荫不多,但我挨着两颗长在一起的树干坐着看书。 —

The book was something by A. E. W. Mason, and I was reading a wonderful story about a man who had been frozen in the Alps and then fallen into a glacier and disappeared, and his bride was going to wait twenty-four years exactly for his body to come out on the moraine, while her true love waited too, and they were still waiting when Bill came up.
书是A. E. W. Mason写的,我正在读一部关于一个在阿尔卑斯山冻僵的人然后掉进冰川并消失的精彩故事,他的新娘打算等他的尸体在冰碛上出现24年,而她真正的爱也在等待着,当比尔过来时他们还在等待。

“Get any?” he asked. He had his rod and his bag and his net all in one hand, and he was sweating. —
“收获如何?”他问道。他手上拿着他的钓竿、包和网,全都挨着一只手,他满头大汗。 —

I hadn’t heard him come up, because of the noise from the dam.
我没听到他走过来,因为大坝发出的声音很大。

   "Six. What did you get?"

“六条。你捞了多少?”

Bill sat down, opened up his bag, laid a big trout on the grass. —
比尔坐下来,打开包,把一条大鱼放在草地上。 —

He took out three more, each one a little bigger than the last, and laid them side by side in the shade from the tree. —
他取出另外三条,每一条比上一条稍微大一点,把它们并排放在树荫下。 —

His face was sweaty and happy.
他满脸满是汗水,看起来很开心。

   "How are yours?"

“你的鱼呢?”

   "Smaller."

“更小一点。”

   "Let's see them."

“让我看看它们。”

   "They're packed."

“它们都被装好了。”

   "How big are they really?"

“它们到底有多大呢?”

   "They're all about the size of your smallest."

“它们都差不多和你最小的那条一样大小。”

   "You're not holding out on me?"

“你是不是在瞒着我?”

   "I wish I were."

“我倒是希望我是。”

   "Get them all on worms?"

“都是用虫子钓上来的吗?”

   "Yes."

“是的。”

   "You lazy bum!"

“你这个懒汉!”

Bill put the trout in the bag and started for the river, swinging the open bag. —
比尔把鳟鱼放进袋子里,朝着河流走去,摇摆着敞开的袋子。 —

He was wet from the waist down and I knew he must have been wading the stream.
他从腰部以下湿漉漉的,我知道他一定是在河流里涉水走过。

I walked up the road and got out the two bottles of wine. They were cold. —
我沿着路走了一段,拿出两瓶葡萄酒。它们很凉。 —

Moisture beaded on the bottles as I walked back to the trees. —
当我走回到树下时,瓶子上结了水珠。 —

I spread the lunch on a newspaper, and uncorked one of the bottles and leaned the other against a tree. —
我把午餐摊在一张报纸上,打开了其中一瓶,把另一瓶靠在一棵树上。 —

Bill came up drying his hands, his bag plump with ferns.
比尔走过来擦干手,他的袋子里塞满了蕨类植物。

“Let’s see that bottle,” he said. He pulled the cork, and tipped up the bottle and drank. —
“让我看看那瓶,” 他说。他拔出塞子,把瓶子倾斜着喝了一口。 —

“Whew! That makes my eyes ache.”
“呼!这瓶酒让我的眼睛隐隐作痛。”

   "Let's try it."

“让我试试。”

   The wine was icy cold and tasted faintly rusty.

酒又凉又湿润,味道略带铁锈味。

   "That's not such filthy wine," Bill said.

“这酒并不那么恶劣,” 比尔说。

   "The cold helps it," I said.

“冰冻可以改善它的味道,” 我说。

   We unwrapped the little parcels of lunch.

我们打开了午餐的小包裹。

   "Chicken."

“鸡肉。”

   "There's hard-boiled eggs."

“这里还有煮鸡蛋。”

   "Find any salt?"

“找到盐了吗?”

   "First the egg," said Bill. "Then the chicken. Even Bryan could see that."

“先吃鸡蛋,” 比尔说。“然后再吃鸡肉。即使布赖恩也懂这点。”

   "He's dead. I read it in the paper yesterday."

“他已经死了。我昨天在报纸上看到的。”

   "No. Not really?"

“真的吗?不是吧?”

   "Yes. Bryan's dead."

“是的。布莱恩已经去世了。”

   Bill laid down the egg he was peeling.

比尔放下手中正在剥的鸡蛋。

“Gentlemen,” he said, and unwrapped a drumstick from a piece of newspaper. —
“先生们,” 他说着,从一张报纸上解开一个鸡腿。 —

“I reverse the order. For Bryan’s sake. As a tribute to the Great Commoner. —
“我改变顺序。为了布莱恩的缘故。作为对伟大平民颂扬。 —

First the chicken; then the egg.”
先是鸡; 然后是蛋。”

   "Wonder what day God created the chicken?"

“猜想上帝是在哪一天创造了鸡呢?”

“Oh,” said Bill, sucking the drumstick, “how should we know? We should not question. —
“哦,”比尔说着,吮吸着鸡腿,“我们怎样会知道呢?我们不应该质疑。 —

Our stay on earth is not for long. Let us rejoice and believe and give thanks.”
我们在这个世界上的时间不长。 让我们欢庆,相信,感恩。”

   "Eat an egg."

“来吃个鸡蛋吧。”

   Bill gestured with the drumstick in one hand and the bottle of wine in the other.

比尔一手持着鸡腿,一手持着酒瓶,做出手势。

“Let us rejoice in our blessings. Let us utilize the fowls of the air. —
“让我们为我们的祝福而欢庆。让我们利用天空的飞禽。 —

Let us utilize the product of the vine. Will you utilize a little, brother?”
让我们利用葡萄的成品。 你要来一点吗,兄弟?”

   "After you, brother."

“你先,兄弟。”

   Bill took a long drink.

比尔大口喝了一口。

“Utilize a little, brother,” he handed me the bottle. “Let us not doubt, brother. —
“用点吧,兄弟,”他递给我瓶子。“我们不要怀疑,兄弟。 —

Let us not pry into the holy mysteries of the hencoop with simian fingers. —
我们不要用猿手探究鸡舍的神秘之处。 —

Let us accept on faith and simply say–I want you to join with me in saying–What shall we say, brother?” —
让我们抱着信念接受,并且简单地说–我希望你能和我一起说–我们应该说什么,兄弟?” —

He pointed the drumstick at me and went on. “Let me tell you. —
他用鸡腿往我指指,并继续说:“让我告诉你。 —

We will say, and I for one am proud to say–and I want you to say with me, on your knees, brother. —
我们会说,我自己对此感到骄傲–而且我希望你在膝上与我一起说,兄弟。 —

Let no man be ashamed to kneel here in the great out-of-doors. —
让没有人因在大自然中跪着而感到羞愧。 —

Remember the woods were God’s first temples. —
请记住,森林是上帝最早的庙宇。 —

Let us kneel and say: ‘Don’t eat that, Lady–that’s Mencken.’
让我们跪下说:‘不要吃那个,夫人–那是门肯。’

   "Here," I said. "Utilize a little of this."

我说:“拿点这个。”

   We uncorked the other bottle.

我们打开了另一个瓶子。

   "What's the matter?" I said. "Didn't you like Bryan?"

“怎么了?”我说。“你不喜欢布莱恩吗?”

   "I loved Bryan," said Bill. "We were like brothers."

比尔说:“我爱布莱恩。”我们就像兄弟一样。

   "Where did you know him?"

“你在哪里认识他的?”

   "He and Mencken and I all went to Holy Cross together."

“他、门肯和我都在Holy Cross一起读书。”

   "And Frankie Fritsch."

“还有弗兰基·弗里奇斯。”

   "It's a lie. Frankie Fritsch went to Fordham."

“那是谎言。弗兰基·弗里奇斯去了福特汉姆大学。”

   "Well," I said, "I went to Loyola with Bishop Manning."

“嗯,“我说,”我和曼宁主教一起在洛约拉大学读书。”

   "It's a lie," Bill said. "I went to Loyola with Bishop Manning myself."

“那是谎言,”比尔说。”我和曼宁主教是在洛约拉大学同学。”

   "You're cock-eyed," I said.

“你瞎了吗?“我说。

   "On wine?"

“酒劲作祟?”

   "Why not?"

“为什么不呢?”

   "It's the humidity," Bill said. "They ought to take this damn humidity away."

“这都是湿度惹的祸,”比尔说。”他们应该赶紧把这该死的潮湿天气拿走。”

   "Have another shot."

“再来一杯吧。”

   "Is this all we've got?"

“就这点了?”

   "Only the two bottles."

“只剩下两瓶了。”

   "Do you know what you are?" Bill looked at the bottle affectionately.

“你知道你是什么吗?“比尔眷恋地看着瓶子。

   "No," I said.

“不知道,“我说。

   "You're in the pay of the Anti-Saloon League."

“你是反酒厅的人。”

   "I went to Notre Dame with Wayne B. Wheeler."

“我和韦恩·B·惠勒一起在圣母大学读书。”

“It’s a lie,” said Bill. “I went to Austin Business College with Wayne B. Wheeler. —
“这是个谎言,”比尔说道。“我和韦恩·B·惠勒一起去了奥斯汀商学院。” —

He was class president.”
他是班长。”

   "Well," I said, "the saloon must go."

“嗯,”我说,“酒吧必须消失。”

“You’re right there, old classmate,” Bill said. —
“你说对了,老同学,”比尔说。 —

“The saloon must go, and I will take it with me.”
“酒吧必须消失,我会带走它。”

   "You're cock-eyed."

“你瞎了眼。”

   "On wine?"

“被酒糟了?”

   "On wine."

“被酒糟了。”

   "Well, maybe I am."

“嗯,也许是。”

   "Want to take a nap?"

“想午休吗?”

   "All right."

“好的。”

   We lay with our heads in the shade and looked up into the trees.

我们躺在头顶树荫下,仰望着树木。

   "You asleep?"

“你睡着了吗?”

   "No," Bill said. "I was thinking."

“没有,”比尔说。“我在想。”

   I shut my eyes. It felt good lying on the ground.

我闭上眼睛。躺在地上感觉很舒服。

   "Say," Bill said, "what about this Brett business?"

“比尔说:“说,那个布雷特的事情呢?

   "What about it?"

“什么事?

   "Were you ever in love with her?"

“你以前爱过她吗?

   "Sure."

“当然爱过。

   "For how long?"

“爱了多久?

   "Off and on for a hell of a long time."

“断断续续爱了好长一段时间。

   "Oh, hell!" Bill said. "I'm sorry, fella."

“哦,该死!”比尔说。“对不起,老兄。

   "It's all right," I said. "I don't give a damn any more."

“没关系,”我说。“我已经不在乎了。

   "Really?"

“真的吗?

   "Really. Only I'd a hell of a lot rather not talk about it."

“真的。只是我宁愿不再谈论这个。

   "You aren't sore I asked you?"

“你生我的气了吗?

   "Why the hell should I be?"

“我为什么要生气?

   "I'm going to sleep," Bill said. He put a newspaper over his face.

“比尔说,我要睡觉。”他用报纸遮住脸。

   "Listen, Jake," he said, "are you really a Catholic?"

“听着,杰克,”他说,“你真的是天主教徒吗?

   "Technically."

“在技术上。”

   "What does that mean?"

“那是什么意思?”

   "I don't know."

“我不知道。”

   "All right, I'll go to sleep now," he said. "Don't keep me awake by talking so much."

“好了,我要去睡觉了,”他说。“不要一直讲话吵醒我。”

I went to sleep, too. When I woke up Bill was packing the rucksack. —
我也去睡觉了。当我醒来时,比尔正在整理背包。 —

Jt was late in the afternoon and the shadow from the trees was long and went out over the dam. —
下午已深,树影斜长,延伸至水坝。 —

I was stiff from sleeping on the ground.
我因睡在地上而感到僵硬。

“What did you do? Wake up?” Bill asked. —
“你醒了吗?”比尔问道。 —

“Why didn’t you spend the night?” I stretched and rubbed my eyes.
“你为什么没过夜?”我伸了个懒腰,揉了揉眼睛。

“I had a lovely dream,” Bill said. —
“我做了个美好的梦,”比尔说。 —

“I don’t remember what it was about, but it was a lovely dream.”
“我不记得梦见了什么,但那是个美好的梦。”

   "I don't think I dreamt."

“我想我没有做梦。”

“You ought to dream,” Bill said. “All our biggest business men have been dreamers. —
“你应该梦见,”比尔说。“我们所有最成功的商人都是梦想家。 —

Look at Ford. Look at President Coolidge. —
看看福特。看看柯立芝总统。 —

Look at Rockefeller. Look at Jo Davidson.”
看看洛克菲勒。看看乔·戴维森。”

I disjointed my rod and Bill’s and packed them in the rod-case. —
我拆下我和比尔的钓竿,放进竿套里。 —

I put the reels in the tackle-bag. Bill had packed the rucksack and we put one of the trout-bags in. —
我把鱼线放进了渔具袋里。比尔已经把背包打包好了,我们把一个鳟鱼袋放了进去。 —

I carried the other.
我拎着另一个鳟鱼袋。

   "Well," said Bill, "have we got everything?"

“那么,”比尔说道,“我们都准备好了吗?”

   "The worms."

“蠕虫。”

   "Your worms. Put them in there."

“你的蠕虫。把它们放在里面。”

   He had the pack on his back and I put the worm-cans in one of the outside flap pockets.

他背着背包,我把蠕虫罐放进了一个外部的侧袋里。

   "You got everything now?"

“现在都准备好了吗?”

   I looked around on the grass at the foot of the elm-trees.

我在榆树底下的草地上四处看了看。

   "Yes."

“是的。”

We started up the road into the woods. —
我们开始沿着小路走进树林。 —

It was a long walk home to Burguete, and it was dark when we came down across the fields to the road, and along the road between the houses of the town, their windows lighted, to the inn.
当我们跨过田野来到路边时,天已经黑了,我们走过了镇子里那亮着灯的房屋,来到了那家旅馆。

We stayed five days at Burguete and had good fishing. —
我们在布尔盖特住了五天,钓到了很多鱼。 —

The nights were cold and the days were hot, and there was always a breeze even in the heat of the day. —
夜晚很冷,白天很热,即使在烈日当空时,仍然有微风吹拂。 —

It was hot enough so that it felt good to wade in a cold stream, and the sun dried you when you came out and sat on the bank. —
天气炎热到足以在冷溪中涉水感到舒适,而太阳在你走出来坐在岸边时会把你晒干。 —

We found a stream with a pool deep enough to swim in. —
我们找到了一个深邃到可以游泳的水潭。 —

In the evenings we played three-handed bridge with an Englishman named Harris, who had walked over from Saint Jean Pied de Port and was stopping at the inn for the fishing. —
晚上我们和一个名叫哈里斯的英国人玩三人桥牌,在客栈住宿的时候,他从圣让皮德波特走过来并停留下来钓鱼。 —

He was very pleasant and went with us twice to the Irati River. There was no word from Robert Cohn nor from Brett and Mike.
他非常友善,两次和我们一起去伊拉提河。罗伯特·科恩和布莱特、迈克没有任何消息。