One morning I went down to breakfast and the Englishman, Harris, was already at the table. —
有一天早晨我下楼去吃早餐,英国人哈里斯已经在桌旁了。 —

He was reading the paper through spectacles. —
他戴着眼镜看报纸。 —

He looked up and smiled.
他抬头微笑。

“Good morning,” he said. “Letter for you. —
“早上好,”他说。“你有一封信。 —

I stopped at the post and they gave it me with mine.”
我在邮局停了并且他们给我的信和我的一起给了我。”

The letter was at my place at the table, leaning against a coffeecup. —
信放在我的座位上,靠在一个咖啡杯旁。 —

Harris was reading the paper again. I opened the letter. —
哈里斯又开始读报纸了。我打开了信。 —

It had been forwarded from Pamplona. It was dated San Sebastian, Sunday:
信是从庞普洛纳转来的。日期是圣塞巴斯蒂安,星期日:

   _Dear Jake_,

亲爱的杰克

_We got here Friday, Brett passed out on the train, so brought her here for 3 days rest with old friends of ours. —
_我们星期五到达这里,布雷特在火车上晕倒了,所以我带她来这里休息3天,和我们的老朋友们在一起。 —

We go to Montoya Hotel Pamplona Tuesday, arriving at I don’t know what hour. —
我们星期二去巴尔帕尔纳的Montoya酒店,到达时不知道是什么时候。 —

Will you send a note by the bus to tell us what to do to rejoin you all on Wednesday. —
请你在公共汽车上通过便条告诉我们在星期三如何与大家重聚。 —

All our love and sorry to be late, but Brett was really done in and will be quite all right by Tues. and is practically so now. —
我们都爱你们,很抱歉我们来晚了,但是布雷特真的太疲惫了,到星期二会完全康复,现在已经差不多了。 —

I know her so well and try to look after her but it’s not so easy. —
我非常了解她并且尽量照顾她,但并不容易。 —

Love to all the chaps,
向所有的伙计们致以爱意

                                      _Michael_.

迈克尔

    "What day of the week is it?" I asked Harris.

“今天星期几了?”我问哈里斯。

“Wednesday, I think. Yes, quite. Wednesday. —
“我想是星期三。是的,星期三。 —

Wonderful how one loses track of the days up here in the mountains.”
在山里,人会把日期都忘了,真神奇。”

   "Yes. We've been here nearly a week."

“是的。我们在这里已经将近一周了。”

   "I hope you're not thinking of leaving?"

“希望你们不打算离开?”

   "Yes. We'll go in on the afternoon bus, I'm afraid."

“是的。恐怕我们会坐下午的公共汽车走。”

   "What a rotten business. I had hoped we'd all have another go at the Irati together."

“真倒霉。我原本希望我们一起再去伊拉蒂河钓鱼。”

   "We have to go _into_ Pamplona. We're meeting people there."

“我们必须去帕姆普洛纳。我们在那里要见人。”

   "What rotten luck for me. We've had a jolly time here at Burguete."

“对我来说真是个倒霉事。我们在布尔古埃特玩得可开心了。”

   "Come on in to Pamplona. We can play some bridge there, and there's going to be a damned fine fiesta."

“来帕姆普洛纳吧。我们可以在那里打桥牌,而且还要举办一个非常棒的庆典。”

“I’d like to. Awfully nice of you to ask me. —
“你这样请我真是太好了。 —

I’d best stop on here, though. I’ve not much more time to fish.”
不过我最好还是留在这儿。我没有太多时间可以钓鱼了。”

   "You want those big ones in the Irati."

“你想在伊拉蒂河钓到那些大家伙。”

   "I say, I do, you know. They're enormous trout there."

“我说,确实是的。那里有巨大的鳟鱼。”

   "I'd like to try them once more."

“我想再试一次。”

   "Do. Stop over another day. Be a good chap."

“好吧。再过一天来吧。做一个好人。”

   "We really have to get into town," I said.

“我们真的必须去镇里,”我说。

   "What a pity."

“太可惜了。”

After breakfast Bill and I were sitting warming in the sun on a bench out in front of the inn and talking it over. —
早饭过后,比尔和我坐在旅馆前的长椅上晒太阳,一边讨论着。 —

I saw a girl coming up the road from the centre of the town. —
我看见一个从镇中心往这边走的女孩。 —

She stopped in front of us and took a telegram out of the leather wallet that hung against her skirt.
她停在我们面前,从挂在裙子上的皮夹里拿出一封电报。

   "Por ustedes?"

“Por ustedes?”

   I looked at it. The address was: "Barnes, Burguete."

我看了一眼。地址写着:“Barnes, Burguete。”

   "Yes. It's for us."

“是的。是给我们的。”

She brought out a book for me to sign, and I gave her a couple of coppers. —
她递给我一本书让我签名,我给了她几个铜板。 —

The telegram was in Spanish: “Vengo Jueves Cohn.”
电报是用西班牙语写的:“Vengo Jueves Cohn。”

   I handed it to Bill.

我把电报递给比尔。

   "What does the word Cohn mean?" he asked.

“Cohn这个词什么意思?”他问。

“What a lousy telegram!” I said. “He could send ten words for the same price. —
“多么糟糕的电报啊!”我说。“他可以用同样的价格发十个字。” —

‘I come Thursday’. That gives you a lot of dope, doesn’t it?”
“我星期四过来。这肯定会给你带来很多好东西,不是吗?”

   "It gives you all the dope that's of interest to Cohn."

“这会给考恩感兴趣的一切提供。”

“We’re going in, anyway,” I said. “There’s no use trying to move Brett and Mike out here and back before the fiesta. —
“不管怎样,我们要进去了,”我说。“没必要试图在庆祝活动前把布雷特和迈克请出去再回来。” —

Should we answer it?”
“我们应该接吗?”

   "We might as well," said Bill. "There's no need for us to be snooty."

“反正也没什么必要不耐烦,”比尔说。

   We walked up to the post-office and asked for a telegraph blank.

我们走到邮局,要了一张电报表格。

   "What will we say?" Bill asked.

“我们要说什么呢?”比尔问。

   " 'Arriving to-night.' That's enough."

” ‘今晚到达。’这就够了。”

We paid for the message and walked back to the inn. —
我们付了费用,走回客栈。 —

Harris was there and the three of us walked up to Roncesvalles. —
哈里斯在那里,我们三个一起走到龙塞瓦列斯。 —

We went through the monastery.
我们参观了修道院。

“It’s remarkable place,” Harris said, when we came out. —
“这是个很不同寻常的地方,”哈里斯在我们出来时说。 —

“But you know I’m not much on those sort of places.”
“但你知道我不太喜欢那种地方。”

   "Me either," Bill said.

“我也一样,”比尔说。

“It’s a remarkable place, though,” Harris said. —
“不过,它确实是个不同寻常的地方,”哈里斯说。 —

“I wouldn’t not have seen it. I’d been intending coming up each day.”
“我本来不会见到它的。我每天都打算上来的。”

   "It isn't the same as fishing, though, is it?" Bill asked. He liked Harris.

“尽管如此,这和钓鱼是不一样的,是吧?”比尔问道。他很喜欢哈里斯。

   "I say not."

“我说不一样。”

   We were standing in front of the old chapel of the monastery.

我们站在修道院前面的旧教堂前。

   "Isn't that a pub across the way?" Harris asked. "Or do my eyes deceive me?"

“那边是不是有家酒吧?”哈里斯问道。“还是我的眼花了?”

   "It has the look of a pub," Bill said.

“看起来像家酒吧,”比尔说。

   "It looks to me like a pub," I said.

“在我看来是家酒吧,”我说。

   "I say," said Harris, "let's utilize it." He had taken up utilizing from Bill.

“我说,”哈里斯说,“让我们去利用它吧。”他从比尔那里学来了这个词。

   We had a bottle of wine apiece. Harris would not let us pay.

我们每人都有一瓶酒。哈里斯坚决不让我们付钱。

   He talked Spanish quite well, and the innkeeper would not take our money.

他的西班牙语讲得相当好,店主也不收我们的钱。

   "I say. You don't know what it's meant to me to have you chaps up here."

“我说。你不知道你们上来对我意味着什么。”

   "We've had a grand time, Harris."

“我们在这里过得很愉快,哈里斯。”

   Harris was a little tight.

哈里斯有点喝醉了。

   "I say. Really you don't know how much it means. I've not had much fun since the war."

“我说。你真的不知道这对我意味着多少。自战争以来我没有过太多的乐趣。”

   "We'll fish together again, some time. Don't you forget it, Harris."

“我们以后还会一起钓鱼的。不要忘了,哈里斯。”

   "We must. We _have_ had such a jolly good time."

“我们必须。我们确实度过了非常愉快的时光。”

   "How about another bottle around?"

“再来一瓶怎么样?”

   "Jolly good idea," said Harris.

“太好了,”哈里斯说。

   "This is mine," said Bill. "Or we don't drink it."

“这是我的,”比尔说。“要么我们一起喝,要么就不喝。”

   "I wish you'd let me pay for it. It _does_ give me pleasure, you know."

“我希望你让我买单。你知道这会让我感到快乐。”

   "This is going to give me pleasure," Bill said.

“这将让我很开心,”比尔说。

The innkeeper brought in the fourth bottle. —
旅馆老板拿来了第四瓶酒。 —

We had kept the same glasses. Harris lifted his glass.
我们都还在用同样的杯子。哈里斯举起了杯子。

   "I say. You know this does utilize well."

“我说。你知道这真的很好喝。”

   Bill slapped him on the back.

比尔拍了拍他的背。

   "Good old Harris."

“好哥们哈里斯。”

“I say. You know my name isn’t really Harris. —
“我说。你知道我的名字其实不是哈里斯。 —

It’s Wilson Harris. All one name. With a hyphen, you know.”
是威尔逊·哈里斯。全名。中间带一个连字符,你知道的。”

   "Good old Wilson-Harris," Bill said. "We call you Harris because we're so fond of you."

“好老哈里斯,”比尔说。“我们叫你哈里斯是因为我们太喜欢你了。”

   "I say, Barnes. You don't know what this all means to me."

“我说,巴恩斯。你不知道这一切对我意味着什么。”

   "Come on and utilize another glass," I said.

“来,再用一个杯子吧,”我说。

   "Barnes. Really, Barnes, you can't know. That's all."

“巴恩斯。真的,巴恩斯,你不可能知道的。就是这样了。”

   "Drink up, Harris."

“喝吧,哈里斯。”

We walked back down the road from Roncesvalles with Harris between us. —
我们带着哈里斯在我们中间,沿着从龙瑟斯瓦莱斯到路上走回去。 —

We had lunch at the inn and Harris went with us to the bus. —
我们在酒店吃了午餐,哈里斯和我们一起去了车站。 —

He gave us his card, with his address in London and his club and his business address, and as we got on the bus he handed us each an envelope. —
他给了我们他的名片,上面写着他在伦敦的地址,俱乐部和工作地址,当我们上车时,他递给我们每人一个信封。 —

I opened mine and there were a dozen flies in it. —
我打开了我的,里面装着一打苍蝇。 —

Harris had tied them himself. He tied all his own flies.
哈里斯亲自系的。他自己系他所有的饵。

   "I say, Harris--" I began.

“我说,哈里斯–” 我开始说。

“No, no!” he said. He was climbing down from the bus. “They’re not first-rate flies at all. —
“不,不!”他说。他正从公共汽车上下来。“这些饵并不是一流的。 —

I only thought if you fished them some time it might remind you of what a good time we had.”
我只是想说,也许某一天你捕鱼时会让你想起我们玩得多么开心。”

The bus started. Harris stood in front of the post-office. He waved. —
公共汽车启动了。哈里斯站在邮局前。他挥手致意。 —

As we started along the road he turned and walked back toward the inn.
当我们沿着路开始行驶时,他转身走回酒店。

   "Say, wasn't that Harris nice?" Bill said.

“说,哈里斯真好啊,” 比尔说。

   "I think he really did have a good time."

“我觉得他真的玩得很开心。”

   "Harris? You bet he did."

“哈里斯?当然来了。”

   "I wish he'd come into Pamplona."

“我希望他能来参加帕姆普罗纳的活动。”

   "He wanted to fish."

“他想要钓鱼。”

   "Yes. You couldn't tell how English would mix with each other, anyway."

“是的。反正你也搞不清英国人会如何相处。”

   "I suppose not."

“我想也是。”

We got into Pamplona late in the afternoon and the bus stopped in front of the Hotel Montoya. —
我们在傍晚时分到达帕姆普罗纳,公共汽车停在蒙托亚酒店前。 —

Out in the plaza they were stringing electric-light wires to light the plaza for the fiesta. —
在广场上,他们正在拉电线,为庆典点亮广场。 —

A few kids came up when the bus stopped, and a customs officer for the town made all the people getting down from the bus open their bundles on the sidewalk. —
公共汽车停下来时,几个孩子走了过来,城里的海关官要求下车的人们在人行道上打开行李包检查。 —

We went into the hotel and on the stairs I met Montoya. —
我们进了酒店,楼梯上我碰到了蒙托亚。 —

He shook hands with us, smiling in his embarrassed way.
他同我们握手,尴尬地笑着。

   "Your friends are here," he said.

“你的朋友们在这里,”他说。

   "Mr. Campbell?"

“坎贝尔先生?”

   "Yes. Mr. Cohn and Mr. Campbell and Lady Ashley."

“是的。科恩先生和坎贝尔先生以及阿什利夫人。”

   He smiled as though there were something I would hear about.

他笑了,好像有什么事情我会听说的。

   "When did they get in?"

“他们是什么时候到的?”

   "Yesterday. I've saved you the rooms you had."

“昨天。我已经帮你留好了房间。”

   "That's fine. Did you give Mr. Campbell the room on the plaza?"

“好的。你把广场上的房间给了坎贝尔先生吗?”

   "Yes. All the rooms we looked at."

“是的。我们看过的那些房间都已订好了。”

   "Where are our friends now?"

“我们的朋友现在在哪里?”

   "I think they went to the pelota."

“我想他们去看了球赛。”

   "And how about the bulls?"

“关于斗牛呢?”

Montoya smiled. “To-night,” he said. —
蒙托亚微笑着说道:”今晚。” —

“To-night at seven o’clock they bring in the Villar bulls, and to-morrow come the Miuras. —
“今晚七点他们会带进维拉尔斗牛,而明天会有米乌拉斗牛。” —

Do you all go down?”
“你们都会去看吗?”

   "Oh, yes. They've never seen a desencajonada."

“是的。他们从未见过解除狂暴的场面。”

   Montoya put his hand on my shoulder.

蒙托亚把手放在我的肩膀上。

   "I'll see you there."

“我会在那里见你的。”

He smiled again. He always smiled as though bull-fighting were a very special secret between the two of us; —
他再次微笑。他总是微笑,好像斗牛是我们两个之间的一种特别秘密; —

a rather shocking but really very deep secret that we knew about. —
一种有点令人震惊但实际上非常深刻的秘密,我们知道其中奥秘。 —

He always smiled as though there were something lewd about the secret to outsiders, but that it was something that we understood. —
他总是微笑,好像这个秘密对外人来说有些下流,但对我们来说却是我们理解的东西。 —

It would not do to expose it to people who would not understand.
不能让不理解的人接触到它。

   "Your friend, is he aficionado, too?" Montoya smiled at Bill.

“你的朋友也是爱好者吗?”蒙托亚对比尔微笑着说。

   "Yes. He came all the way from New York to see the San Fermines."

“是的。他从纽约特意来参加圣费尔明节。”

   "Yes?" Montoya politely disbelieved. "But he's not aficionado like you."

“是吗?” 蒙托亚客气地表示怀疑。“不过他不像你一样是爱好者。”

   He put his hand on my shoulder again embarrassedly.

他尴尬地再次把手放在我肩膀上。

   "Yes," I said. "He's a real aficionado."

“是的,”我说。“他真是个狂热的爱好者。”

   "But he's not aficionado like you are."

“但他不像你那样是真正的爱好者。”

Aficion means passion. An aficionado is one who is passionate about the bull-fights. —
Afición是热情的意思。爱好者是对斗牛狂热的人。 —

All the good bull-fighters stayed at Montoya’s hotel; that is, those with aficion stayed there. —
所有优秀的斗牛士都住在蒙托亚的旅馆里;也就是说,那些有热情的人才住在那里。 —

The commercial bullfighters stayed once, perhaps, and then did not come back. —
商业斗牛士曾经住过一次,也许再也不会回来了。 —

The good ones came each year. In Montoya’s room were their photographs. —
好的斗牛士每年都会来。蒙托亚的房间里挂满了他们的照片。 —

The photographs were dedicated to Juanito Montoya or to his sister. —
这些照片上都有写着献给胡安尼托·蒙托亚或者他的妹妹。 —

The photographs of bull-fighters Montoya had really believed in were framed. —
蒙托亚真正信任的斗牛士的照片都被装裱起来。 —

Photographs of bull-fighters who had been without aficion Montoya kept in a drawer of his desk. —
没有热情的斗牛士的照片则被蒙托亚收在桌子抽屉里。 —

They often had the most flattering inscriptions. But they did not mean anything. —
它们通常有最讨好的题词。但那些并没有意义。 —

One day Montoya took them all out and dropped them in the waste-basket. —
一天蒙托亚带着他们全部去并把它们扔进了垃圾篓。 —

He did not want them around.
他不想让它们在身边。

We often talked about bulls and bull-fighters. —
我们经常谈论斗牛和斗牛士。 —

I had stopped at the Montoya for several years. We never talked for very long at a time. —
我在蒙托亚住了好几年。我们从来没有长时间交谈。 —

It was simply the pleasure of discovering what we each felt. —
只是发现我们各自的感受是一种愉悦。 —

Men would come in from distant towns and before they left Pamplona stop and talk for a few minutes with Montoya about bulls. —
有时会有来自远方城镇的人来,他们在离开帕姆普洛纳之前会停下来和蒙托亚聊几分钟关于斗牛的话题。 —

These men were aficionados. Those who were aficionados could always get rooms even when the hotel was full. —
这些人是爱好者。那些是爱好者的人即使旅馆客满也总能有房间住。 —

Montoya introduced me to some of them. They were always very polite at first, and it amused them very much that I should be an American. —
蒙托亚把我介绍给了其中一些人。他们一开始总是非常有礼貌,而我是美国人让他们感到很有趣。 —

Somehow it was taken for granted that an American could not have aficion. —
在某种程度上,人们认为一个美国人不可能有aficion。 —

He might simulate it or confuse it with excitement, but he could not really have it. —
他可能模仿它或将其与兴奋混淆,但他实际上不可能有它。 —

When they saw that I had aficion, and there was no password, no set questions that could bring it out, rather it was a sort of oral spiritual examination with the questions always a little on the defensive and never apparent, there was this same embarrassed putting the hand on the shoulder, or a “Buen hombre.” —
当他们看到我有aficion时,并没有密码,也没有一套可以揭示的问题,而是一种口头上的精神考验,问题总是有点防守性,从不显而易见,他们就会尴尬地把手放在肩上,或者说一句“好男人”。 —

But nearly always there was the actual touching. —
但几乎总是会真的触摸到。 —

It seemed as though they wanted to touch you to make it certain.
似乎他们想要碰触你以确认这一点。

Montoya could forgive anything of a bull-fighter who had aficion. —
对于一个有aficion的斗牛士,蒙托亚可以原谅任何事情。 —

He could forgive attacks of nerves, panic, bad unexplainable actions, all sorts of lapses. —
他可以原谅神经紧张,恐慌,坏的无法解释的举动,各种差错。 —

For one who had aficion he could forgive anything. At once he forgave me all my friends. —
他是个狂热的爱好者,他能原谅一切。他马上原谅了我所有的朋友。 —

Without his ever saying anything they were simply a little something shameful between us, like the spilling open of the horses in bull-fighting.
没有他说一句话,它们在我们之间只是有点让人羞愧的事情,就像斗牛中马匹的暴露。

   Bill had gone up-stairs as we came in, and I found him washing and changing in his room.

比尔当我们进来的时候已经上楼了,我在他的房间里找到他在洗漱换衣服。

   "Well," he said, "talk a lot of Spanish?"

“好吧,”他说,”说了很多西班牙语吗?”

   "He was telling me about the bulls coming in tonight."

“他跟我说关于今晚牛要进来的事情。”

   "Let's find the gang and go down."

“让我们找到团伙一起去下去。”

   "All right. They'll probably be at the café."

“好的。他们可能在咖啡馆里。”

   "Have you got tickets?"

“你有门票吗?”

   "Yes. I got them for all the unloadings."

“有。我为所有的解救场次都买了票。”

   "What's it like?" He was pulling his cheek before the glass, looking to see if there were unshaved patches under the line of the jaw.

“那是什么样子的?“他在镜子前揉着脸颊,看着下巴线下有没有没刮干净的地方。

   "It's pretty good," I said. "They let the bulls out of the cages one at a time, and they have steers in the corral to receive them and keep them from fighting, and the bulls tear in at the steers and the steers run around like old maids trying to quiet them down."

“挺不错的,”我说。 “他们一个接一个地放出来,围栏里有公牛来接待它们,并阻止它们打架,公牛冲进去,公牛奋力冲向公牛,公牛像老处女一样四处乱跑试图让它们安静下来。”

   "Do they ever gore the steers?"

“公牛会不会角伤公牛?”

   "Sure. Sometimes they go right after them and kill them."

“当然会。有时它们直接冲向它们并杀死它们。”

   "Can't the steers do anything?"

“公牛没办法吗?”

   "No. They're trying to make friends."

“不行。它们在试图交朋友。”

   "What do they have them in for?"

“他们为何把牛装进去?”

   "To quiet down the bulls and keep them from breaking their horns against the stone walls, or goring each other."

“为了让公牛安静下来,防止它们把角撞在石墙上,或者彼此争斗。”

   "Must be swell being a steer."

“成为一头阉牛肯定很不错。”

We went down the stairs and out of the door and walked across the square toward the café Iru?a. There were two lonely looking ticket-houses standing in the square. —
我们走下楼梯,走出门口,穿过广场朝向Iru?a咖啡馆走去。广场上站着两个显得很孤单的售票亭。 —

Their windows, marked SOL, SOL Y SOMBRA, and SOMBRA, were shut. —
它们的窗户上写着SOL、SOL Y SOMBRA和SOMBRA,都是关闭着的。 —

They would not open until the day before the fiesta.
直到节日前一天它们才会开放。

Across the square the white wicker tables and chairs of the Iru? —
在广场对面,Iru?a咖啡馆那里,白色的柳条桌椅齐整地摆放着。 —

a extended out beyond the Arcade to the edge of the street. —
长廊外延伸到街边。 —

I looked for Brett and Mike at the tables. There they were. —
我在桌子前找Brett和Mike。他们就在那儿。 —

Brett and Mike and Robert Cohn. Brett was wearing a Basque beret. —
Brett、Mike和Robert Cohn。Brett戴着巴斯克贝雷帽。 —

So was Mike. Robert Cohn was bare-headed and wearing his spectacles. —
Mike也是。Robert Cohn没戴帽子,戴着眼镜。 —

Brett saw us coming and waved. Her eyes crinkled up as we came up to the table.
Brett看见我们走来,挥了挥手。我们走到桌子旁,她的眼睛眯缝着。

   "Hello, you chaps!" she called.

“你们好啊!”她喊道。

Brett was happy. Mike had a way of getting an intensity of feeling into shaking hands. —
Brett很开心。Mike握手时总能表达出一种强烈的感情。 —

Robert Cohn shook hands because we were back.
Robert Cohn握手是因为我们回来了。

   "Where the hell have you been?" I asked.

“你们到底去哪了?”我问。

   "I brought them up here," Cohn said.

“是我带他们来这的,”Cohn说。

   "What rot," Brett said. "We'd have gotten here earlier if you hadn't come."

“胡扯。”Brett说,“你们要是不来我们早就到了。”

   "You'd never have gotten here."

“你们根本到不了。”

   "What rot! You chaps are brown. Look at Bill."

“胡扯!你们全晒黑了,看看比尔。”

   "Did you get good fishing?" Mike asked. "We wanted to join you."

“你们钓鱼怎么样?”Mike问,“我们想跟你们一起来。”

   "It wasn't bad. We missed you."

“还行。我们想念你们。”

   "I wanted to come," Cohn said, "but I thought I ought to bring them."

“我本想来的,” 科恩说,“但我觉得我应该把他们带来。”

   "You bring us. What rot."

“你把我们带来了。太没意思了。”

   "Was it really good?" Mike asked. "Did you take many?"

“真的很好吗?迈克问道。“你们捕了很多吗?”

   "Some days we took a dozen apiece. There was an Englishman up there."

“有些日子我们每人都捕了十几条。那里有一个英国人。”

   "Named Harris," Bill said. "Ever know him, Mike? He was in the war, too."

“叫哈里斯,” 比尔说。“迈克,你认识他吗?他也参加过战争。”

   "Fortunate fellow," Mike said. "What times we had. How I wish those dear days were back."

“幸运的家伙,” 迈克说。“我们当时有多愉快。我多希望那些美好的日子能回来。”

   "Don't be an ass."

“别傻了。”

   "Were you in the war, Mike?" Cohn asked.

“你参加过战争吗,迈克?” 科恩问。

   "Was I not."

“我参加过。”

“He was a very distinguished soldier,” Brett said. —
“他是一位非常杰出的士兵,” 布莱特说。 —

“Tell them about the time your horse bolted down Piccadilly.”
“告诉他们你的马在皮卡迪利大街冲出去的那次。”

   "I'll not. I've told that four times."

“我不会的。我已经说过那个故事四次了。”

   "You never told me," Robert Cohn said.

“你从来没告诉过我,” 罗伯特·科恩说。

   "I'll not tell that story. It reflects discredit on me."

“我不会说那个故事。那会让我丢脸。”

   "Tell them about your medals."

“告诉他们你的勋章的事情。”

   "I'll not. That story reflects great discredit on me."

“不会的。那个故事让我很丢脸。”

   "What story's that?"

“哪个故事?”

   "Brett will tell you. She tells all the stories that reflect discredit on me."

“布雷特会告诉你的。她喜欢讲那些让我丢脸的故事。”

   "Go on. Tell it, Brett."

“说吧,布雷特。”

   "Should I?"

“我该说吗?”

   "I'll tell it myself."

“我自己来说。”

   "What medals have you got, Mike?"

“迈克,你有什么勋章吗?”

   "I haven't got any medals."

“我没有任何勋章。”

   "You must have some."

“你一定有一些。”

“I suppose I’ve the usual medals. But I never sent in for them. —
“我想我有一般的勋章。但我从来没有去领过。” —

One time there was this whopping big dinner and the Prince of Wales was to be there, and the cards said medals will be worn. —
“有一次有一个盛大的晚宴,威尔士亲王也会在那里,邀请卡上写着要佩戴勋章。” —

So naturally I had no medals, and I stopped at my tailor’s and he was impressed by the invitation, and I thought that’s a good piece of business, and I said to him: —
“所以我自然没有勋章,我在我的裁缝那里停下来,他对邀请很印象深刻,我觉得这是一笔不错的买卖,我对他说: —

‘You’ve got to fix me up with some medals.’ He said: ‘What medals, sir?’ And I said: —
‘你得帮我弄些勋章。’他说:‘是哪些勋章,先生?’我说: —

‘Oh, any medals. Just give me a few medals.’ So he said: ‘What medals have you, sir?’ And I said: —
‘哦,什么勋章都行。随便给我几个勋章。’ 于是他说:‘您有什么勋章,先生?’ 我说: —

‘How should I know?’ Did he think I spent all my time reading the bloody gazette? —
‘我怎么知道呢?’ 他以为我整天都在读该死的公报吗?” —

‘Just give me a good lot. Pick them out yourself.’ —
“就给我找几枚好的。你自己挑吧。” —

So he got me some medals, you know, miniature medals, and handed me the box, and I put it in my pocket and forgot it. —
于是他给我搞了一些奖章,你知道,迷你奖章,递给我一盒,我就把它放在口袋里忘记了。 —

Well, I went to the dinner, and it was the night they’d shot Henry Wilson, so the Prince didn’t come and the King didn’t come, and no one wore any medals, and all these coves were busy taking off their medals, and I had mine in my pocket.”
“后来我去参加了晚宴,那天晚上他们枪杀了亨利·威尔逊,所以王子没来,国王也没来,也没有人戴奖章,所有这些家伙都在忙着摘下他们的奖章,而我却还把我的留在了口袋里。”

   He stopped for us to laugh.

他停下来让我们笑。

   "Is that all?"

“这就是全部了吗?”

   "That's all. Perhaps I didn't tell it right."

“就这样了。也许我没讲对。”

   "You didn't," said Brett. "But no matter."

“你没讲对,”布雷特说,“但无所谓。”

   We were all laughing.

我们都笑了。

“Ah, yes,” said Mike. “I know now. —
“啊,是的,”迈克说。“我现在明白了。 —

It was a damn dull dinner, and I couldn’t stick it, so I left. —
那是个该死的乏味晚宴,我坚持不住,所以离开了。 —

Later on in the evening I found the box in my pocket. What’s this? I said. Medals? —
晚上晚些时候我在口袋里发现了那盒子。“这是什么?”我说。奖章? —

Bloody military medals? So I cut them all off their backing–you know, they put them on a strip–and gave them all around. —
该死的军事奖章?所以我把它们全部从背板上剪下来–你知道,他们把它们挂在一条带子上–然后分发给了每个人。 —

Gave one to each girl. Form of souvenir. —
每个女孩都送了一枚。作为纪念品。 —

They thought I was hell’s own shakes of a soldier. —
他们都以为我是个顶尖的军人。 —

Give away medals in a night club. Dashing fellow.”
在夜总会送奖章。英勇的家伙。”

   "Tell the rest," Brett said.

“告诉剩下的部分吧,”布雷特说。

“Don’t you think that was funny?” Mike asked. We were all laughing. “It was. I swear it was. —
“你不觉得那很有趣吗?”迈克问道。我们都在笑。“真的很有趣。我发誓是真的。 —

Any rate, my tailor wrote me and wanted the medals back. Sent a man around. —
无论如何,我的裁缝写信给我,要求把勋章还回去。派了一个人来取。 —

Kept on writing for months. Seems some chap had left them to be cleaned. Frightfully military cove. —
继续写了好几个月。似乎有个家伙留下来让他清洗。非常军事的人。 —

Set hell’s own store by them.” Mike paused. —
非常看重这些。”迈克停顿了一下。 —

“Rotten luck for the tailor,” he said.
“对裁缝来说真是倒霉,”他说。

   "You don't mean it," Bill said. "I should think it would have been grand for the tailor."

“你别说啦,”比尔说,“我觉得对裁缝来说应该是件好事。”

“Frightfully good tailor. Never believe it to see me now,” Mike said. —
“非常好的裁缝。你现在肯定无法相信看到我的样子,”迈克说。 —

“I used to pay him a hundred pounds a year just to keep him quiet. —
“我过去每年付给他一百镑,就是为了让他保持沉默。 —

So he wouldn’t send me any bills. Frightful blow to him when I went bankrupt. —
这样他就不会寄给我任何账单。我破产时给了他当头一棒。 —

It was right after the medals. Gave his letters rather a bitter tone.”
就在授勋之后。让他的信变得有些尖酸了。”

   "How did you go bankrupt?" Bill asked.

“你是怎么破产的?”比尔问。

   "Two ways," Mike said. "Gradually and then suddenly."

“两种方式,”迈克说。“逐渐然后突然。”

   "What brought it on?"

“是什么导致了这个结果?”

“Friends,” said Mike. “I had a lot of friends. False friends. —
“朋友,”迈克说。“我有很多朋友。虚假的朋友。 —

Then I had creditors, too. Probably had more creditors than anybody in England.”
然后我还有债权人。可能比英格兰的任何人都有更多的债权人。

   "Tell them about in the court," Brett said.

“在法庭上告诉他们,” 布雷特说。

   "I don't remember," Mike said. "I was just a little tight."

“我记不得了,” 迈克说。 “我当时只是有点喝醉了。”

   "Tight!" Brett exclaimed. "You were blind!"

“喝醉了!” 布雷特惊叹道。 “你当时是瞎了!”

“Extraordinary thing,” Mike said. “Met my former partner the other day. —
迈克说:”很奇怪的事情。前几天遇到了我的前合作伙伴。” —

Offered to buy me a drink.”
他竟然主动请我喝一杯。”

   "Tell them about your learned counsel," Brett said.

“告诉他们关于你的法律顾问,” 布雷特说。

“I will not,” Mike said. “My learned counsel was blind, too. —
“我不会的,” 麦克说道. “我的律师也是瞎子.” —

I say this is a gloomy subject. Are we going down and see these bulls unloaded or not?”
“我觉得这是个沮丧的话题. 我们下去看这些公牛卸货还是不去?”

   "Let's go down."

“让我们下去吧.”

We called the waiter, paid, and started to walk through the town. —
我们叫来服务员结账,然后开始穿过镇子。 —

I started off walking with Brett, but Robert Cohn came up and joined her on the other side. —
一开始我和布莱特走在一起,但罗伯特·科恩走上来,加入她的另一边。 —

The three of us walked along, past the Ayuntamiento with the banners hung from the balcony, down past the market and down past the steep street that led to the bridge across the Arga. There were many people walking to go and see the bulls, and carriages drove down the hill and across the bridge, the drivers, the horses, and the whips rising above the walking people in the street. —
我们三个人走着,经过市政厅,挂着横幅的阳台,往下经过市场,再往下走经过通往阿尔加河桥的陡坡街道。很多人走去看公牛,马车驶过小山并穿过桥,驾驶员、马匹和鞭子在街上行人之上矗立着。 —

Across the bridge we turned up a road to the corrals. —
桥对面我们拐上了一条通往畜栏的路。 —

We passed a wineshop with a sign in the window: —
我们经过一个酒吧,橱窗上挂着招牌: —

Good Wine 30 Centimes A Liter.
好酒,每升30塞内姆。

   "That's where we'll go when funds get low," Brett said.

“资金紧缺时我们就去那里,” 布莱特说。

The woman standing in the door of the wine-shop looked at us as we passed. —
酒吧门口站着的女人看着我们经过。 —

She called to some one in the house and three girls came to the window and stared. —
她朝屋子里喊了一声,三个女孩走到窗户前盯着。 —

They were staring at Brett.
她们盯着布莱特。

At the gate of the corrals two men took tickets from the people that went in. —
在畜栏的门口,两个人为进去的人收取门票。 —

We went in through the gate. There were trees inside and a iow, stone house. —
我们通过大门进去。里面有树木和一座低矮的石头房子。 —

At the far end was the stone wall of the corrals, with apertures in the stone that were like loop-holes running all along the face of each corral. —
在远处是围栏的石墙,石墙上有像小孔一样的开口,沿着每个围栏的面都排列着。 —

A ladder led up to the top of the wall, and people were climbing up the ladder and spreading down to stand on the walls that separated the two corrals. —
一把梯子通向墙顶,有人正在爬上梯子,沿着分隔两个围栏的墙站立。 —

As we came up the ladder, walking across the grass under the trees, we passed the big, gray painted cages with the bulls in them. —
当我们走过树下的草地,爬上梯子时,我们经过了那些装着公牛的大灰色笼子。 —

There was one bull in each travelling-box. —
每个旅行箱里有一头公牛。 —

They had come by train from a bull-breeding ranch in Castile, and had been unloaded off flat-cars at the station and brought up here to be let out of their cages into the corrals. —
它们是从卡斯蒂利亚的一个公牛繁殖农场乘火车来的,从火车平板车上卸下后,被送到这里,准备从笼子里放到围栏里。 —

Each cage was stencilled with the name and the brand of the bull-breeder.
每个笼子上都印有公牛养殖者的名称和商标。

We climbed up and found a place on the wall looking down into the corral. —
我们爬上墙找到了一个看进围栏里的位置。 —

The stone walls were whitewashed, and there was straw on the ground and wooden feed-boxes and water-troughs set against the wall.
石墙都粉刷成白色,地面上铺着稻草,靠墙放着木制饲料箱和水槽。

   "Look up there," I said.

“看那上面,” 我说。

Beyond the river rose the plateau of the town. —
河的那边是城镇的高地。 —

All along the old walls and ramparts people were standing. —
沿着旧城墙和壁垒,人们都站在那里。 —

The three lines of fortifications made three black lines of people. —
三道防线形成了三道黑线的人群。 —

Above the walls there were heads in the windows of the houses. —
墙上窗户里都有人头伸出。 —

At the far end of the plateau boys had climbed into the trees.
城高地的远端,有男孩爬上了树。

   "They must think something is going to happen," Brett said.

“他们一定认为会发生什么事情了,” 布莱特说。

   "They want to see the bulls."

“他们想看牛。”

Mike and Bill were on the other wall across the pit of the corral. They waved to us. —
麦克和比尔站在圈舍对面的墙上。他们向我们挥手。 —

People who had come late were standing behind us, pressing against us when other people crowded them.
来晚的人站在我们后面,其他人挤过来时,他们挤得我们靠在一起。

   "Why don't they start?" Robert Cohn asked.

“为什么他们还不开始?”罗伯特·科恩问道。

A single mule was hitched to one of the cages and dragged it up against the gate in the corral wall. —
一头骡子拴在一个笼子上,拖着笼子将它推到了圈墙的门口。 —

The men shoved and lifted it with crowbars into position against the gate. —
男人们用撬棍推拉着将笼子抬到了圈墙门口。 —

Men were standing on the wall ready to pull up the gate of the corral and then the gate of the cage. At the other end of the corral a gate opened and two steers came in, swaying their heads and trotting, their lean flanks swinging. —
站在墙上的男人们准备拉起圈舍的门和笼子的门。在圈舍的另一端,一个门打开了,两头公牛走进来,摇摇头,小跑着,瘦削的腹部摇摆着。 —

They stood together at the far end, their heads toward the gate where the bull would enter.
它们站在远处,头朝着公牛将会进来的门。

   "They don't look happy," Brett said.

“它们看起来不高兴,”布雷特说。

The men on top of the wall leaned back and pulled up the door of the corral. —
站在墙上的人们向后倾并拉起了圈舍的门。 —

Then they pulled up the door of the cage.
然后他们拉起了笼子的门。

I leaned way over the wall and tried to see into the cage. It was dark. —
我大大弯腰跨越了围墙,试图看进笼子里。里面很黑。 —

Some one rapped on the cage with an iron bar. Inside something seemed to explode. —
有人用铁棍敲着笼子。里面似乎有什么东西爆炸了。 —

The bull, striking into the wood from side to side with his horns, made a great noise. —
公牛用角来回击打木头,发出巨大的噪音。 —

Then I saw a dark muzzle and the shadow of horns, and then, with a clattering on the wood in the hollow box, the bull charged and came out into the corral, skidding with his forefeet in the straw as he stopped, his head up, the great hump of muscle on his neck swollen tight, his body muscles quivering as he looked up at the crowd on the stone walls. —
接着我看到了一个黑色的口鼻和角的影子,然后,随着空心箱子里木头的碰撞声音,公牛冲了出来,停下来时用前蹄在稻草上打滑,抬起头,脖颈上的肌肉肿胀紧绷,身体肌肉颤动着,望着站在石墙上的人群。 —

The two steers backed away against the wall, their heads sunken, their eyes watching the bull.
两头公牛退到墙边,低下头,眼睛注视着公牛。

   The bull saw them and charged. A man shouted from behind one of the boxes and slapped his hat against the planks, and the bull, before he reached the steer, turned, gathered himself and charged where the man had been, trying to reach him behind the planks with a half-dozen quick, searching drives with the right horn.

公牛看到它们,冲了过去。一个男人从一个木箱后面喊道,拍着帽子打在木板上,公牛在冲到公牛之前转身,蓄力,冲向男人所在的木板后面,试图用右角迅速地刺向他。

   "My God, isn't he beautiful?" Brett said. We were looking right down on him.

“天啊,他真漂亮,不是吗?” 布莱特说。我们俯视着他。

“Look how he knows how to use his horns,” I said. —
“看他如何使用他的角,” 我说。 —

“He’s got a left and a right just like a boxer.”
“他有左角和右角,就像拳击手一样。”

   "Not really?"

“真的吗?”

   "You watch."

“你看着。”

   "It goes too fast."

“速度太快了。”

   "Wait. There'll be another one in a minute."

“等等,一会儿就会有一个。”

They had backed up another cage into the entrance. —
他们将另一个笼子推到入口处。 —

In the far corner a man, from behind one of the plank shelters, attracted the bull, and while the bull was facing away the gate was pulled up and a second bull came out into the corral.
在远处的一个角落,一个男人从木板遮蔽处吸引了公牛的注意,而公牛背对着时,门被拉起,第二只公牛走出圈中。

He charged straight for the steers and two men ran out from behind the planks and shouted, to turn him. —
他直奔两头公牛,两个男人从木板后面冲了出来,喊着,试图把他引开。 —

He did not change his direction and the men shouted: “Hah! Hah! Toro!” and waved their arms; —
他没有改变方向,男人们大声喊道:“哈!哈!公牛!”挥动着手臂; —

the two steers turned sideways to take the shock, and the bull drove into one of the steers.
两头公牛侧身迎接冲击,公牛撞向其中一头公牛。

   "Don't look," I said to Brett. She was watching, fascinated.

“别看,” 我对布莱特说。她正着迷地观看着。

   "Fine," I said. "If it doesn't buck you."

“好,”我说。“只要它不伤害你。”

   "I saw it," she said. "I saw him shift from his left to his right horn."

“我看见了,”她说。“我看见他从左边转到右边的角。”

   "Damn good!"

“太棒了!”

The steer was down now, his neck stretched out, his head twisted, he lay the way he had fallen. —
公牛现在倒在地上,脖子伸直,头扭曲,他就这样躺着,就像他倒下来的样子。 —

Suddenly the bull left off and made for the other steer which had been standing at the far end, his head swinging, watching it all. —
突然,公牛停止了,转向另一个一直站在远处的牛,他摇摆着头,看着一切。 —

The steer ran awkwardly and the bull caught him, hooked him lightly in the flank, and then turned away and looked up at the crowd on the walls, his crest of muscle rising. —
公牛笨拙地奔跑,公牛轻轻地在他的腹部勾住他,然后转身朝着墙上的人群看去,他的肌肉隆起。 —

The steer came up to him and made as though to nose at him and the bull hooked perfunctorily. —
公牛走近他,似乎要用鼻子碰他,公牛轻描淡写地勾了一下。 —

The next time he nosed at the steer and then the two of them trotted over to the other bull.
下一次,他用鼻子拱了一下公牛,然后他们两个一起小跑到另外一个公牛那里。

When the next bull came out, all three, the two bulls and the steer, stood together, their heads side by side, their horns against the newcomer. —
当下一个公牛出来时,所有三只牛,两只公牛和一头牛,站在一起,头靠在一起,角碰着新来的公牛。 —

In a few minutes the steer picked the new bull up, quieted him down, and made him one of the herd. —
几分钟后,那头被角到的牛带上新的公牛,使他平静下来,让他成为了群里的一员。 —

When the last two bulls had been unloaded the herd were all together.
当最后两头公牛被卸下时,群里所有的牛都在一起。

The steer who had been gored had gotten to his feet and stood against the stone wall. —
被角伤的牛站起来,靠在石墙上。 —

None of the bulls came near him, and he did not attempt to join the herd.
其中没有一头公牛靠近他,他也没有试图加入群里。

We climbed down from the wall with the crowd, and had a last look at the bulls through the loopholes in the wall of the corral. —
我们和人群从墙上爬下来,在围场的小孔中最后看了看这些公牛。 —

They were all quiet now, their heads down. We got a carriage outside and rode up to the café. —
现在它们都很安静,低着头。我们在外面坐上马车,去了咖啡馆。 —

Mike and Bill came in half an hour later. —
迈克和比尔半小时后进来了。 —

They had stopped on the way for several drinks.
他们在路上停下来喝了几杯。

   We were sitting in the café.

我们当时坐在咖啡馆里。

   "That's an extraordinary business," Brett said.

“这真是一桩非凡的事情,” 布雷特说。

“Will those last ones fight as well as the first?” —
“那些最后一个会和第一个打得一样吗?” —

Robert Cohn asked. “They seemed to quiet down awfully fast.”
罗伯特·科恩问道,”他们似乎很快就平静下来了。”

“They all know each other,” I said. —
“他们彼此都认识,” 我说。 —

“They’re only dangerous when they’re alone, or only two or three of them together.”
“他们只有一个人的时候才危险,或者只有两三个人在一起的时候才危险。”

   "What do you mean, dangerous?" Bill said. "They all looked dangerous to me."

“你说危险是什么意思?” 比尔说,”在我看来他们都很危险。”

“They only want to kill when they’re alone. —
“他们只有在独自一人时才想杀戮。 —

Of course, if you went in there you’d probably detach one of them from the herd, and he’d be dangerous.”
当然,如果你走进去,你可能会从群里分出一头来,那就危险了。”

   "That's too complicated," Bill said. "Don't you ever detach me from the herd, Mike."

“这太复杂了,” 比尔说,”别把我从群体中分开,迈克。”

   "I say," Mike said, "they were fine bulls, weren't they? Did you see their horns?"

“我说,” 迈克说,”那些公牛不错,是吗?你见过它们的角吗?”

   "Did I not," said Brett. "I had no idea what they were like."

“我又怎能不见,” 布雷特说,”我根本不知道它们是什么样子的。”

   "Did you see the one hit that steer?" Mike asked. "That was extraordinary."

“你看到那只公牛击中那头仆人了吗?” 迈克问,”那简直太惊人了。”

   "It's no life being a steer," Robert Cohn said.

“做一头公牛真是没意思,”罗伯特·科恩说道。

   "Don't you think so?" Mike said. "I would have thought you'd loved being a steer, Robert."

“你不这么认为吗?”迈克说道。“我本以为你会喜欢做一头公牛的,罗伯特。”

   "What do you mean, Mike?"

“你是什么意思,迈克?”

   "They lead such a quiet life. They never say anything and they're always hanging about so."

“它们过着那么宁静的生活。它们从不说话,总是闲晃在那儿。”

   We were embarrassed. Bill laughed. Robert Cohn was angry. Mike went on talking.

我们都感到尴尬。比尔笑了。罗伯特·科恩生气了。迈克接着说话。

“I should think you’d love it. You’d never have to say a word. —
“我想你会喜欢的。你永远不需要说一句话。 —

Come on, Robert. Do say something. Don’t just sit there.”
算了,罗伯特。说点什么。别一声不吭坐在那里。”

   "I said something, Mike. Don't you remember? About the steers."

“我说了一句话,迈克。你记得吗?关于公牛的那句话。”

“Oh, say something more. Say something funny. —
“哦,再说点什么。说点有趣的。 —

Can’t you see we’re all having a good time here?”
你怎么看不出我们都在享受这里的时光呢?”

   "Come off it, Michael. You're drunk," Brett said.

“别胡说,迈克尔。你喝醉了,” 布莱特说。

“I’m not drunk. I’m quite serious. —
“我没喝醉。我很认真的。 —

Is Robert Cohn going to follow Brett around like a steer all the time?”
罗伯特·科恩难道会像一头公牛一样一直跟着布莱特?”

   "Shut up, Michael. Try and show a little breeding."

“闭嘴,迈克。试着表现得有点教养。”

“Breeding be damned. Who has any breeding, anyway, except the bulls? Aren’t the bulls lovely? —
“教养见鬼去吧。除了公牛,谁有教养呢?公牛们难道不可爱吗?” —

Don’t you like them, Bill? Why don’t you say something, Robert? —
你不喜欢他们,比尔吗?为什么你不说点什么,罗伯特? —

Don’t sit there looking like a bloody funeral. —
别坐在那里看起来像葬礼一样。 —

What if Brett did sleep with you? She’s slept with lots of better people than you.”
如果布雷特真的和你睡了怎么样?她和比你更好的人睡过。

   "Shut up," Cohn said. He stood up. "Shut up, Mike."

“闭嘴,科恩说。他站起来。“闭嘴,迈克。”

“Oh, don’t stand up and act as though you were going to hit me. —
“哦,别站起来像是要打我一样。 —

That won’t make any difference to me. Tell me, Robert. —
那对我没什么影响。告诉我,罗伯特。 —

Why do you follow Brett around like a poor bloody steer? Don’t you know you’re not wanted? —
你为什么像个可怜的牛犊一样跟着布雷特?你不知道你被拒绝了吗? —

I know when I’m not wanted. Why don’t you know when you’re not wanted? —
我知道自己不受欢迎。你怎么不知道自己不受欢迎呢? —

You came down to San Sebastian where you weren’t wanted, and followed Brett around like a bloody steer. —
你来到圣塞巴斯蒂安,人家并不欢迎你,还像个傻瓜一样跟着布雷特。 —

Do you think that’s right?”
你认为这样做对吗?

   "Shut up. You're drunk."

“闭嘴。你喝醉了。

“Perhaps I am drunk. Why aren’t you drunk? Why don’t you ever get drunk, Robert? —
“也许我真的喝醉了。为什么你不喝醉?为什么你从不喝醉,罗伯特? —

You know you didn’t have a good time at San Sebastian because none of our friends would invite you on any of the parties. —
你知道你在圣塞巴斯蒂安并没有开心, 因为我们的朋友一个都不邀请你参加任何聚会。 —

You can’t blame them hardly. Can you? I asked them to. They wouldn’t do it. —
你几乎不能责怪他们。你能吗?我请求过他们。他们不同意。 —

You can’t blame them, now. Can you? Now, answer me. —
现在你不能责怪他们了。你能吗?现在,回答我。 —

Can you blame them?”
你能怪他们吗?

   "Go to hell, Mike."

“滚蛋,迈克。”

“I can’t blame them. Can you blame them? Why do you follow Brett around? —
“我不能怪他们。你能怪他们吗?你为什么跟着布雷特到处走?” —

Haven’t you any manners? How do you think it makes me feel?”
“你一点礼貌都没有吗?你觉得这样对我有什么感觉?”

   "You're a splendid one to talk about manners," Brett said. "You've such lovely manners."

布雷特说:“你真是个会谈论礼仪的人,你有如此可爱的礼仪。”

   "Come on, Robert," Bill said.

“走吧,罗伯特,”比尔说。

   "What do you follow her around for?"

“你为什么跟着她到处走?”

   Bill stood up and took hold of Cohn.

比尔站起来拉住了科恩。

   "Don't go," Mike said. "Robert Cohn's going to buy a drink."

“别走,”迈克说。“罗伯特·科恩要买酒。”

Bill went off with Cohn. Cohn’s face was sallow. Mike went on talking. —
比尔和科恩走了。科恩的脸色苍白。迈克继续说。 —

I sat and listened for a while. Brett looked disgusted.
我坐着一段时间听着。布雷特看起来很厌恶。

“I say, Michael, you might not be such a bloody ass,” she interrupted. —
“迈克,你也许不应该这么愚蠢,”她打断道。 —

“I’m not saying he’s not right, you know.” She turned to me.
“我不是说他不对,你知道的。”她转向我。

   The emotion left Mike's voice. We were all friends together.

情感从迈克的声音中消失了。我们都是朋友。

   "I'm not so damn drunk as I sounded," he said.

“我没有喝成我听起来那么醉,”他说。

   "I know you're not," Brett said.

“我知道你不是,” 布雷特说。

   "We're none of us sober," I said.

“我们都没有清醒,” 我说。

   "I didn't say anything I didn't mean."

“我没有说谎.”

   "But you put it so badly," Brett laughed.

“但你说得太差劲了,” 布雷特笑了。

“He was an ass, though. He came down to San Sebastian where he damn well wasn’t wanted. —
“不过他真是个混蛋。他竟然跑到圣塞巴斯蒂安,那里根本不需要他。 —

He hung around Brett and just looked at her. —
他就在布雷特身边晃来晃去,只是看着她。 —

It made me damned well sick.”
瞧得我简直恶心。”

   "He did behave very badly," Brett said.

“他确实行为很糟糕,” 布雷特说。

“Mark you. Brett’s had affairs with men before. She tells me all about everything. —
“注意了。布雷特以前和男人有过一些事。她告诉我一切。 —

She gave me this chap Cohn’s letters to read. —
她给我看了这个科恩先生的信。 —

I wouldn’t read them.”
我没看。”

   "Damned noble of you."

“真高尚的你.”

“No, listen, Jake. Brett’s gone off with men. —
“不,听着,杰克。布雷特和男人走了。 —

But they weren’t ever Jews, and they didn’t come and hang about afterward.”
但他们从来不是犹太人,也不会跑来缠着不放。”

“Damned good chaps,” Brett said. “It’s all rot to talk about it. —
“真不错的家伙,” 布雷特说。”说这些都是废话。” —

Michael and I understand each other.”
迈克尔和我彼此理解。

   "She gave me Robert Cohn's letters. I wouldn't read them."

她给了我罗伯特·科恩的信。我不会读。

   "You wouldn't read any letters, darling. You wouldn't read mine."

“亲爱的,你不会读任何信。”

   "I can't read letters," Mike said. "Funny, isn't it?"

迈克尔说:“我读不了信。挺有趣的,对吧?”

   "You can't read anything."

“你什么都读不了。”

   "No. You're wrong there. I read quite a bit. I read when I'm at home."

“不,你错了。我读了不少书。我在家的时候读书。”

“You’ll be writing next,” Brett said. “Come on, Michael. Do buck up. —
“你接下来会写信了。”布莱特说。“来吧,迈克尔。加油。你现在必须完成这件事。” —

You’ve got to go through with this thing now. —
“他来了。不要破坏派对。” —

He’s here. Don’t spoil the fiesta.”
“他会表现得好的。我会告诉他。”

   "Well, let him behave, then."

“好吧,让他表现出来。”

   "He'll behave. I'll tell him."

“他会表现的。我会告诉他。”

   "You tell him, Jake. Tell him either he must behave or get out."

“杰克,你告诉他。告诉他他要么表现好,要么滚蛋。”

   "Yes," I said, "it would be nice for me to tell him."

“是的,”我说,“我去告诉他会挺好的。”

   "Look, Brett. Tell Jake what Robert calls you. That _is_ perfect, you know."

“瞧,布莱特。告诉杰克罗伯特怎么称呼你。那确实很完美,你知道。”

   "Oh, no. I can't."

“哦,不,我不能。”

   "Go on. We're all friends. Aren't we all friends, Jake?"

“继续。我们都是朋友。杰克,我们不都是朋友吗?”

   "I can't tell him. It's too ridiculous."

“我不能告诉他。这太荒谬了。”

   "I'll tell him."

“我来告诉他。”

   "You won't, Michael. Don't be an ass."

“你不会的,迈克尔。别装蠢了。”

“He calls her Circe,” Mike said. “He claims she turns men into swine. —
“迈克说他称她为西尔克,声称她把男人变成猪。 —

Damn good. I wish I were one of these literary chaps.”
“他写得真棒。我希望我也是这些文学家之一。

   "He'd be good, you know," Brett said. "He writes a good letter."

“你知道,他会做到的,”布雷特说。他写的信挺有意思的。

   "I know," I said. "He wrote me from San Sebastian."

“我知道,”我说。 “他从圣塞巴斯蒂安给我写信。

   "That was nothing," Brett said. "He can write a damned amusing letter."

“那算不了什么,”布雷特说。他能写出一封该死有趣的信。

   "She made me write that. She was supposed to be ill."

“她逼我写的。她应该是生病了。

   "I damned well was, too."

“我也该死了,”

   "Come on," I said, "we must go in and eat."

“走吧,”我说,”我们必须进去吃饭。

   "How should I meet Cohn?" Mike said.

“我该怎么面对科恩呢?”麦克说。

   "Just act as though nothing had happened."

“就好像什么都没发生的样子。

   "It's quite all right with me," Mike said. "I'm not embarrassed."

“对我来说没问题,”麦克说,”我一点也不尴尬。”

   "If he says anything, just say you were tight."

“如果他说什么,就说你很紧张。”

   "Quite. And the funny thing is I think I was tight."

“完全如此。有趣的是我觉得我当时确实很紧张。”

   "Come on," Brett said. "Are these poisonous things paid for? I must bathe before dinner."

“走吧,” 布雷特说道。”这些有毒的东西都结账了吗?我得在晚餐前洗个澡。”

We walked across the square. It was dark and all around the square were the lights from the cafés under the arcades. —
我们走过广场。四周漆黑,广场周围都是凉亭下咖啡馆的灯光。 —

We walked across the gravel under the trees to the hotel.
我们走过树荫下的碎石路来到旅馆。

   They went up-stairs and I stopped to speak with Montoya.

他们上楼了,我停下来和蒙托亚交谈。

   "Well, how did you like the bulls?" he asked.

“那么,你觉得斗牛怎么样?”他问。

   "Good. They were nice bulls."

“不错。那些是不错的斗牛。”

   "They're all right"--Montoya shook his head--"but they're not too good."

“还可以嘛”–蒙托亚摇了摇头–“但不是太好。”

   "What didn't you like about them?"

“你不喜欢它们什么地方?”

   "I don't know. They just didn't give me the feeling that they were so good."

“我不知道。它们就是没有让我觉得太好。”

   "I know what you mean."

“我知道你的意思。”

   "They're all right."

“还可以嘛。”

   "Yes. They're all right."

“是的。还可以。”

   "How did your friends like them?"

“你的朋友们觉得怎么样?”

   "Fine."

“好。”

   "Good," Montoya said.

“好,” 蒙托亚说。

I went up-stairs. Bill was in his room standing on the balcony looking out at the square. —
我上了楼。 比尔站在自己的房间里,站在阳台上望着广场。 —

I stood beside him.
我站在他旁边。

   "Where's Cohn?"

“科恩在哪里?”

   "Up-stairs in his room."

“在楼上他的房间里。”

   "How does he feel?"

“他感觉怎么样?”

   "Like hell, naturally. Mike was awful. He's terrible when he's tight."

“自然是感觉糟透了。迈克太糟糕了。他喝醉了就很糟糕。”

   "He wasn't so tight."

“他并没有那么喝醉。”

   "The hell he wasn't. I know what we had before we came to the café."

“他喝醉了,让我倒过来说说我们来到咖啡馆之前的情况。”

   "He sobered up afterward."

“他后来醒酒了。”

   "Good. He was terrible. I don't like Cohn, God knows, and I think it was a silly trick for him to go down to San Sebastian, but nobody has any business to talk like Mike."

“很好。他很糟糕。我不喜欢科恩,天晓得,我认为他去圣塞巴斯蒂安是一个愚蠢的把戏,但没有人有权像迈克那样说话。”

   "How'd you like the bulls?"

“你觉得斗牛表演怎么样?”

   "Grand. It's grand the way they bring them out."

“很棒。他们放牛的方式太棒了。”

   "To-morrow come the Miuras."

“明天是米乌拉斗牛队。”

   "When does the fiesta start?"

“节日什么时候开始?”

   "Day after to-morrow."

“后天。”

   "We've got to keep Mike from getting so tight. That kind of stuff is terrible."

“我们得阻止迈克喝得太醉。那种事真是太糟糕。”

   "We'd better get cleaned up for supper."

“我们最好洗漱一下准备吃晚饭。”

   "Yes. That will be a pleasant meal."

“是的。那会是一顿愉快的晚餐。”

   "Won't it?"

“是吧?”

As a matter of fact, supper was a pleasant meal. —
实际上,晚餐是一顿愉快的饭。” —

Brett wore a black, sleeveless evening dress. She looked quite beautiful. —
布雷特穿着一条黑色无袖晚礼服。她看起来相当美丽。 —

Mike acted as though nothing had happened. I had to go up and bring Robert Cohn down. —
迈克表现得好像什么事都没发生过。我不得不上楼去把罗伯特·科恩带下来。 —

He was reserved and formal, and his face was still taut and sallow, but he cheered up finally. —
他一直保持着拘谨和正式的态度,他的脸依然紧绷而苍白,但最终他振作起来了。 —

He could not stop looking at Brett. It seemed to make him happy. —
他忍不住盯着布雷特看。看上去让他很开心。 —

It must have been pleasant for him to see her looking so lovely, and know he had been away with her and that every one knew it. —
看到她看起来如此可爱,知道他曾和她在一起过,而且每个人都知道了,这对他来说肯定很愉快。 —

They could not take that away from him. Bill was very funny. —
他们无法把这一切从他身上拿走。比尔非常幽默。 —

So was Michael. They were good together.
迈克也是。他们在一起很好。

It was like certain dinners I remember from the war. —
这有点像我在战争中记忆中的某些晚餐。 —

There was much wine, an ignored tension, and a feeling of things coming that you could not prevent happening. —
那里有很多葡萄酒,一种被忽略的紧张感,以及一种你无法阻止的事情即将发生的感觉。 —

Under the wine I lost the disgusted feeling and was happy. —
在酒的作用下,我摆脱了恶心的感觉,变得愉快起来。 —

It seemed they were all such nice people.
看起来他们都是如此友善的人。