At noon of Sunday, the 6th of July, the fiesta exploded. There is no other way to describe it. —
在7月6日星期日中午,节日爆发了。没有其他方式可以形容。 —

People had been coming in all day from the country, but they were assimilated in the town and you did not notice them. —
从农村过来的人整天都在涌入,但他们已经融入了城镇,你没有注意到他们。 —

The square was as quiet in the hot sun as on any other day. —
广场在烈日下一如往常地宁静。 —

The peasants were in the outlying wine-shops. —
农民们在市外的酒吧里。 —

There they were drinking, getting ready for the fiesta. —
他们在那里喝酒,准备参加节日。 —

They had come in so recently from the plains and the hills that it was necessary that they make their shifting in values gradually. —
他们最近刚从平原和山丘来到这里,需要逐渐调整自己的价值观。 —

They could not start in paying café prices. They got their money’s worth in the wine-shops. —
他们还无法支付咖啡厅的价格。他们在酒吧里物有所值。 —

Money still had a definite value in hours worked and bushels of grain sold. —
钱仍然有明确的价值,用工作小时和卖出的谷物来衡量。 —

Late in the fiesta it would not matter what they paid, nor where they bought.
在节日晚期,他们付多少钱,从哪里买都不重要。

Now on the day of the starting of the fiesta of San Fermin they had been in the wine-shops of the narrow streets of the town since early morning. —
现在,在圣费尔明节开始的这一天,他们从清晨就待在城镇窄街的酒吧里。 —

Going down the streets in the morning on the way to mass in the cathedral, I heard them singing through the open doors of the shops. —
早上在通往大教堂的街道上走时,我听到他们从店铺的敞开的门中唱歌。 —

They were warming up. There were many people at the eleven o’clock mass. —
有很多人在11点的弥撒中。 —

San Fermin is also a religious festival.
圣费尔明节也是一个宗教节日。

I walked down the hill from the cathedral and up the street to the café on the square. —
我从大教堂下山,走上广场上的咖啡馆。 —

It was a little before noon. Robert Cohn and Bill were sitting at one of the tables. —
那时还不到中午。罗伯特·科恩和比尔坐在其中一张桌子前。 —

The marble-topped tables and the white wicker chairs were gone. —
大理石桌子和白色藤椅子都不见了。 —

They were replaced by cast-iron tables and severe folding chairs. —
它们被铸铁桌子和朴素的折叠椅子取代了。 —

The café was like a battleship stripped for action. —
咖啡馆就像一艘被剥去装备的战舰。 —

Today the waiters did not leave you alone all morning to read without asking if you wanted to order something. —
今天,服务员不会让你整个上午都静静地看书,而不问你是否要点什么。 —

A waiter came up as soon as I sat down.
我刚坐下,一个服务员就走过来了。

   "What are you drinking?" I asked Bill and Robert.

“你们要喝什么?”我问比尔和罗伯特。

   "Sherry," Cohn said.

“雪利酒,” 科恩说。

   "Jerez," I said to the waiter.

“哈雷斯,” 我对服务员说。

Before the waiter brought the sherry the rocket that announced the fiesta went up in the square. —
在服务员端上雪利酒之前,广场上升起了宣布狂欢节的火箭。 —

It burst and there was a gray ball of smoke high up above the Theatre Gayarre, across on the other side of the plaza. —
它爆炸了,一个灰色的烟团高高地漂浮在盖亚雷剧院的上空,就在广场的另一边。 —

The ball of smoke hung in the sky like a shrapnel burst, and as I watched, another rocket came up to it, trickling smoke in the bright sunlight. —
烟团在空中挂着,就像一团炮弹碎片爆炸的样子,我看着的时候,另一枚火箭冒着烟追上去。 —

I saw the bright flash as it burst and another little cloud of smoke appeared. —
我看到它爆炸时的明亮闪光,又出现了另一团烟。 —

By the time the second rocket had burst there were so many people in the arcade, that had been empty a minute before, that the waiter, holding the bottle high up over his head, could hardly get through the crowd to our table. —
当第二枚火箭爆炸时,拱廊里已经挤满了刚才空无一人的人群,服务员高举酒瓶,几乎穿不过人群到我们的桌子。 —

People were coming into the square from all sides, and down the street we heard the pipes and the fifes and the drums coming. —
人们从四面八方涌入广场,我们听到街上传来笛子和军鼓的声音。 —

They were playing the riau-riau music, the pipes shrill and the drums pounding, and behind them came the men and boys dancing. —
他们在演奏着《里奥-里奥》的音乐,笛子尖叫,鼓声震撼,跟着他们的是跳舞的男人和男孩们。 —

When the fifers stopped they all crouched down in the street, and when the reedpipes and the fifes shrilled, and the flat, dry, hollow drums tapped it out again, they all went up in the air dancing. —
当吹笛手停止吹奏时,他们都蹲在街上,当芦笛和长笛发出尖锐的声音,沙哑的空心鼓再次敲击时,他们都跳起来跳舞。 —

In the crowd you saw only the heads and shoulders of the dancers going up and down.
在人群中,你只看到舞者们的头和肩膀起伏。

In the square a man, bent over, was playing on a reed-pipe, and a crowd of children were following him shouting, and pulling at his clothes. —
在广场上,一个驼背的男人吹着芦笛,一群孩子跟在他后面喊着,拉着他的衣服。 —

He came out of the square, the children following him, and piped them past the café and down a side street. —
他走出广场,孩子们跟着他,沿着一条小街吹着口哨。 —

We saw his blank pockmarked face as he went by, piping, the children close behind him shouting and pulling at him.
当他经过时,我们看到他那张空白多疙疙瘩瘩的脸,孩子们紧随其后大声喊叫,拉扯着他。

   "He must be the village idiot," Bill said. "My God! look at that!"

“他一定是村子里的白痴,”比尔说。“我的天!看那个!”

Down the street came dancers. The street was solid with dancers, all men. —
大街上走来了舞者。街上挤满了那些男舞者。 —

They were all dancing in time behind their own fifers and drummers. —
他们都按照自己的吹笛手和鼓手的节奏起舞。 —

They were a club of some sort, and all wore workmen’s blue smocks, and red handkerchiefs around their necks, and carried a great banner on two poles. —
他们是某个俱乐部,都穿着工人的蓝色罩衫,脖子上系着红色手帕,并举着一面巨大的旗帜在两根竿子上。 —

The banner danced up and down with them as they came down surrounded by the crowd.
随着人群的包围,这面旗帜随着他们一起上下舞动。

   "Hurray for Wine! Hurray for the Foreigners!" was painted on the banner.

“为葡萄酒欢呼!为外国人欢呼!”写在旗帜上。

   "Where are the foreigners?" Robert Cohn asked.

“外国人在哪里?”罗伯特·科恩问道。

   "We're the foreigners," Bill said.

“我们就是外国人,”比尔说。

All the time rockets were going up. The café tables were all full now. —
烟花一直在升起。酒吧的桌子现在都坐满了人。 —

The square was emptying of people and the crowd was filling the cafés.
广场上的人正在散去,而人群则涌进了咖啡馆。

   "Where's Brett and Mike?" Bill asked.

比尔问道:“布雷特和迈克在哪里?”

   "I'll go and get them," Cohn said.

科恩说:“我去找他们。”

   "Bring them here."

“把他们带到这里来。”

The fiesta was really started. It kept up day and night for seven days. —
派对真正开始了。它持续了七天,日夜不停。 —

The dancing kept up, the drinking kept up, the noise went on. —
舞蹈不断进行,饮酒不断,噪音不断。 —

The things that happened could only have happened during a fiesta. —
发生的事情只能在派对期间发生。 —

Everything became quite unreal finally and it seemed as though nothing could have any consequences. —
最终一切变得非常不真实,仿佛没有任何后果。 —

It seemed out of place to think of consequences during the fiesta. —
在派对期间考虑后果似乎很不合适。 —

All during the fiesta you had the feeling, even when it was quiet, that you had to shout any remark to make it heard. —
在整个派对期间,即使安静下来,你也会感到必须大声说出任何评论才能被听到。 —

It was the same feeling about any action. —
对于任何行动也是一样的感觉。 —

It was a fiesta and it went on for seven days.
这是一个持续了七天的派对。

That afternoon was the big religious procession. —
那天下午是重要的宗教游行。 —

San Fermin was translated from one church to another. —
圣费尔敏从一座教堂转移到另一座。 —

In the procession were all the dignitaries, civil and religious. —
游行队伍中有所有的贵族和教士。 —

We could not see them because the crowd was too great. —
由于人群太多,我们看不到他们。 —

Ahead of the formal procession and behind it danced the riau-riau dancers. —
在正式队伍前面和后面跳着里奥里奥的舞者。 —

There was one mass of yellow shirts dancing up and down in the crowd. —
人群中一片黄色衬衫的群体上下跳跃。 —

All we could see of the procession through the closely pressed people that crowded all the side streets and curbs were the great giants, cigar-store Indians, thirty feet high, Moors, a King and Queen, whirling and waltzing solemnly to the riau-riau.
在人群拥挤的街道和路边,我们只能看到队伍中的巨人、雪茄店的印第安人,三十英尺高,摩尔人,国王和皇后,庄严地旋转着跳着里奥里奥

They were all standing outside the chapel where San Fermin and the dignitaries had passed in, leaving a guard of soldiers, the giants, with the men who danced in them standing beside their resting frames, and the dwarfs moving with their whacking bladders through the crowd. —
他们都站在圣费尔明教堂外,圣费尔明和尊贵的人们已经经过,留下一队士兵,巨人们,他们内心的男人们站在他们休息的架子旁,小矮人们带着挥击的充气囊在人群中穿行。 —

We started inside and there was a smell of incense and people filing back into the church, but Brett was stopped just inside the door because she had no hat, so we went out again and along the street that ran back from the chapel into town. —
我们开始进入里面,教堂里弥漫着香味,人们纷纷回到教堂,但是因为没有帽子,所以布雷特被门口挡住了,于是我们又走了出去,沿着从教堂通向镇上的街道走去。 —

The street was lined on both sides with people keeping their place at the curb for the return of the procession. —
街道两侧排满了等待队伍返回的人群。 —

Some dancers formed a circle around Brett and started to dance. —
一些舞者围着布雷特形成了一个圈开始跳舞。 —

They wore big wreaths of white garlics around their necks. —
他们的脖子上戴着大大的大蒜花环。 —

They took Bill and me by the arms and put us in the circle. Bill started to dance, too. —
他们拉着比尔和我,让我们站在圈子里。比尔也开始跳舞。 —

They were all chanting. Brett wanted to dance but they did not want her to. —
他们在高呼着。布雷特想要跳舞,但他们不让她。 —

They wanted her as an image to dance around. —
他们需要她作为一个形象绕着跳舞。 —

When the song ended with the sharp riau-riau! —
当歌曲以尖锐的
里奥里奥_结束时! —

_ they rushed us into a wine-shop.
他们冲进了一家酒铺。

We stood at the counter. They had Brett seated on a wine-cask. —
我们站在柜台前。他们让布雷特坐在一个酒桶上。 —

It was dark in the wine-shop and full of men singing, hard-voiced singing. —
酒铺里很暗,充满了唱歌的男人们,嘶哑的歌声。 —

Back of the counter they drew the wine from casks. —
在柜台后面,他们从木桶里倒出了酒。 —

I put down money for the wine, but one of the men picked it up and put it back in my pocket.
我放下钱付酒钱,但其中一名男子拿起并放回了我的口袋里。

   "I want a leather wine-bottle," Bill said.

“我想要一个皮酒瓶,”比尔说。

   "There's a place down the street," I said. "I'll go get a couple."

“街上有家店,”我说。“我去买几个。”

The dancers did not want me to go out. —
舞者们不想让我出去。 —

Three of them were sitting on the high wine-cask beside Brett, teaching her to drink out of the wine-skins. —
三个人坐在布雷特旁边高高的酒桶上,教她如何从酒袋里喝酒。 —

They had hung a wreath of garlics around her neck. Some one insisted on giving her a glass. —
他们在她的脖子上挂了一圈大蒜。有人坚持给她倒了一杯。 —

Somebody was teaching Bill a song. Singing it into his ear. —
有人在教比尔唱歌。对着他耳边唱。 —

Beating time on Bill’s back.
在比尔的背上打着节拍。

I explained to them that I would be back. —
我向他们解释我会回来的。 —

Outside in the street I went down the street looking for the shop that made leather winebottles. —
在街上我下了街去找制作皮革酒瓶的店。 —

The crowd was packed on the sidewalks and many of the shops were shuttered, and I could not find it. I walked as far as the church, looking on both sides of the street. —
人群挤满了人行道,许多商店关着门,我找不到。我走到教堂,两边看着街道。 —

Then I asked a man and he took me by the arm and led me to it. —
然后我问了一个人,他拉着我去了那家店。 —

The shutters were up but the door was open.
百叶窗拉上了,但门是开着的。

Inside it smelled of fresh tanned leather and hot tar. —
里面闻着新鞣制的皮革和热沥青的味道。 —

A man was stencilling completed wine-skins. They hung from the roof in bunches. —
一个人正在给装满酒的皮袋上模板。它们挂在屋顶上成串。 —

He took one down, blew it up, screwed the nozzle tight, and then jumped on it.
他取下一个,把它吹起来,把嘴紧紧拧住,然后跳上去。

   "See! It doesn't leak."

“看!不漏水。”

   "I want another one, too. A big one."

“我也想要另一个。一个大的。”

He took down a big one that would hold a gallon or more, from the roof. —
他从屋顶上取下一个,足够装一加仑或更多。 —

He blew it up, his cheeks puffing ahead of the wine-skin, and stood on the bota holding on to a chair.
他把它吹起来,双颊大肿,站在装满酒的皮袋上,拿着一把椅子。

   "What are you going to do? Sell them in Bayonne?"

“你要干什么?在巴约讷卖吗?”

   "No. Drink out of them."

“不,要用它们喝酒。”

   He slapped me on the back.

他拍了拍我的背。

   "Good man. Eight pesetas for the two. The lowest price."

“好样的。两个八比塞塔。最低价。”

   The man who was stencilling the new ones and tossing them into a pile stopped.

给新的皮袋上模板并把它们扔进一堆的人停了下来。

   "It's true," he said. "Eight pesetas is cheap."

“没错,”他说。”八比塞塔很便宜。”

I paid and went out and along the street back to the wine-shop. —
我付了钱,走出去沿着街道回到了酒馆。 —

It was darker than ever inside and very crowded. —
里面比以往更黑暗,非常拥挤。 —

I did not see Brett and Bill, and some one said they were in the back room. —
我没有看见布雷特和比尔,有人说他们在后面的房间里。 —

At the counter the girl filled the two wine-skins for me. One held two litres. —
在柜台那位女孩为我灌满了两个酒袋。一个盛有两升。 —

The other held five litres. Filling them both cost three pesetas sixty centimos. —
另一个盛有五升。灌满它们共需三比塞塔六塞蒂莫斯。 —

Some one at the counter, that I had never seen before, tried to pay for the wine, but I finally paid for it myself. —
柜台上的一个我从未见过的人试图为酒付款,但最终我自己付了款。 —

The man who had wanted to pay then bought me a drink. —
当时想付款的那个人后来为我买了一杯饮料。 —

He would not let me buy one in return, but said he would take a rinse of the mouth from the new wine-bag. —
他不让我回礼,但说他想从新的酒袋里漱口。 —

He tipped the big five-litre bag up and squeezed it so the wine hissed against the back of his throat.
他把那个大的五升袋翻转起来,挤压着让酒在喉咙后溅出气泡。

   "All right," he said, and handed back the bag.

“好了,”他说道,然后递回了袋子。

In the back room Brett and Bill were sitting on barrels surrounded by the dancers. —
在后面的房间里,布莱特和比尔坐在桶上,周围是跳舞的人们。 —

Everybody had his arms on everybody else’s shoulders, and they were all singing. —
每个人都搭在其他人的肩上,他们一起唱歌。 —

Mike was sitting at a table with several men in their shirt-sleeves, eating from a bowl of tuna fish, chopped onions and vinegar. —
麦克坐在一张桌子旁边,和几个穿着衬衫的男人一起吃着一碗金枪鱼、洋葱和醋。 —

They were all drinking wine and mopping up the oil and vinegar with pieces of bread.
他们都在喝着酒,用面包块蘸油和醋。

“Hello, Jake. Hello!” Mike called. “Come here. —
“嗨,杰克。嗨!”麦克叫道,“过来。” —

I want you to meet my friends. We’re all having an hors d’oeuvre.”
我被介绍给了桌子上的人们。

I was introduced to the people at the table. —
他们告诉麦克他们的名字,并替我要了一个叉子。 —

They supplied their names to Mike and sent for a fork for me.
他们向麦克介绍了桌上的人,并为我要了一个叉子。

   "Stop eating their dinner, Michael," Brett shouted from the wine-barrels.

“迈克尔,别再吃他们的晚餐了,” 布雷特在酒桶旁大声说道。

   "I don't want to eat up your meal," I said when some one handed me a fork.

“我不想抢你们的饭,” 有人递给我一把叉子时我说道。

   "Eat," he said. "What do you think it's here for?"

“吃吧,” 他说,“你觉得这是干什么的呢?”

I unscrewed the nozzle of the big wine-bottle and handed it around. —
我拧开了大酒瓶的喷嘴,递给大家。 —

Every one took a drink, tipping the wine-skin at arm’s length.
每个人都拿起酒袋,站在手臂的长度倾斜着饮酒。

   Outside, above the singing, we could hear the music of the procession going by.

在歌声之外,我们能听到游行音乐的声音。

   "Isn't that the procession?" Mike asked.

“那是游行吗?” 迈克问道。

   "Nada," some one said. "It's nothing. Drink up. Lift the bottle."

“不是,” 有人说,”没什么。喝吧。把瓶子举起来。”

   "Where did they find you?" I asked Mike.

“他们是哪里找到你的?” 我问迈克。

   "Some one brought me here," Mike said. "They said you were here."

“有人带我来的,” 迈克说,”他们说你们在这里。”

   "Where's Cohn?"

“科恩在哪里?”

   "He's passed out," Brett called. "They've put him away somewhere."

“他昏迷了,” 布雷特喊道,“他们把他带走了。”

   "Where is he?"

“他在哪儿?”

   "I don't know."

“我不知道。”

   "How should we know," Bill said. "I think he's dead."

“我们怎么知道,” 比尔说,“我觉得他可能已经去世了。”

   "He's not dead," Mike said. "I know he's not dead. He's just passed out on Anis del Mono."

“他没死,”迈克说。“我知道他还没死。他只是在安尼斯德尔莫诺酒上睡着了。”

   As he said Anis del Mono one of the men at the table looked up, brought out a bottle from inside his smock, and handed it to me.

当他说到安尼斯德尔莫诺酒时,桌子上的一个男人抬起头,从内衣里拿出一瓶酒递给我。

   "No," I said. "No, thanks!"

“不,”我说。“不,谢谢!”

   "Yes. Yes. Arriba! Up with the bottle!"

“是的。是的。亮起来!举起瓶子!”

I took a drink. It tasted of licorice and warmed all the way. —
我喝了一口。口感像甘草,一直都暖暖的。 —

I could feel it warming in my stomach.
我能感到它在我的胃里发热。

   "Where the hell is Cohn?"

“Cohn到底在哪里?”

   "I don't know," Mike said. "I'll ask. Where is the drunken comrade?" he asked in Spanish.

“我不知道,”迈克说。“我问问。喝醉了的同志在哪里?”他用西班牙语问。

   "You want to see him?"

“你想见他吗?”

   "Yes," I said.

“是的,”我说。

   "Not me," said Mike. "This gent."

“不是我,”迈克说。“是这位先生。”

   The Anis del Mono man wiped his mouth and stood up.

安尼斯德尔莫诺酒男人擦了擦嘴站起来。

   "Come on."

“走吧。”

In a back room Robert Cohn was sleeping quietly on some wine-casks. —
在一个后房,罗伯特·柯恩安静地睡在一些酒桶上。 —

It was almost too dark to see his face. They had covered him with a coat and another coat was folded under his head. —
几乎太黑看不清他的脸。他们把他盖上一件外套,还有一件外套叠在他头下。 —

Around his neck and on his chest was a big wreath of twisted garlics.
他的脖子和胸前缠着一大串蒜头。

   "Let him sleep," the man whispered. "He's all right."

“让他睡吧,”那个男人轻声说道。”他没事。”

Two hours later Cohn appeared. He came into the front room still with the wreath of garlics around his neck. —
两小时后,科恩出现了。他还带着蒜头花环走进客厅。 —

The Spaniards shouted when he came in. Cohn wiped his eyes and grinned.
西班牙人在他进来时欢呼起来。科恩擦了擦眼睛,咧嘴笑了。

   "I must have been sleeping," he said.

“我一定是在睡觉,”他说。

   "Oh, not at all," Brett said.

“哦,一点也不,”布莱特说。

   "You were only dead," Bill said.

“你只不过是死了而已,”比尔说。

   "Aren't we going to go and have some supper?" Cohn asked.

“我们不去吃些晚饭吗?”科恩问道。

   "Do you want to eat?"

“你想吃吗?”

   "Yes. Why not? I'm hungry."

“是的。为什么不呢?我饿了。”

   "Eat those garlics, Robert," Mike said. "I say. Do eat those garlics."

“吃那些大蒜,罗伯特,”迈克说。”我说,吃那些大蒜吧。”

   Cohn stood there. His sleep had made him quite all right.

科恩站在那里。他的睡眠让他完全好转了。

   "Do let's go and eat," Brett said. "I must get a bath."

“让我们去吃饭吧,”布莱特说。”我要去洗个澡。”

   "Come on," Bill said. "Let's translate Brett to the hotel."

“走吧,”比尔说。”我们送布莱特去旅馆。”

We said good-bye to many people and shook hands with many people and went out. —
我们向很多人告别,与很多人握手,然后走了出去。 —

Outside it was dark.
外面漆黑一片。

   "What time is it do you suppose?" Cohn asked.

“你觉得现在是几点了?” 科恩问道。

   "It's to-morrow," Mike said. "You've been asleep two days."

“已经是明天了,” 麦克说道。”你已经睡了两天了。”

   "No," said Cohn, "what time is it?"

“不,” 科恩说:”现在几点了?”

   "It's ten o'clock."

“十点了。”

   "What a lot we've drunk."

“我们喝了好多酒啊。”

   "You mean what a lot _we've_ drunk. You went to sleep."

“你是指我们喝了好多酒。你睡着了。”

Going down the dark streets to the hotel we saw the skyrockets going up in the square. —
在黑暗的街道上往酒店走去,我们看见了广场上升起的烟花。 —

Down the side streets that led to the square we saw the square solid with people, those in the centre all dancing.
在通往广场的小街上,我们看见广场上人山人海,中间的人都在跳舞。

It was a big meal at the hotel. It was the first meal of the prices being doubled for the fiesta, and there were several new courses. —
这顿酒店的大餐非常丰盛。这是节日价格翻倍后的第一顿饭,还增加了好几道新菜。 —

After the dinner we were out in the town. —
饭后我们出去逛镇子。 —

I remember resolving that I would stay up all night to watch the bulls go through the streets at six o’clock in the morning, and being so sleepy that I went to bed around four o’clock. —
我记得曾立下决心整夜不睡觉,等着早上六点时公牛穿过街道,结果因为太困了,在凌晨四点就去睡了。 —

The others stayed up.
其他人都没睡。

My own room was locked and I could not find the key, so I went up-stairs and slept on one of the beds in Cohn’s room. —
我自己的房间锁着,找不到钥匙,于是我上楼,在科恩的房间里的一张床上睡了。 —

The fiesta was going on outside in the night, but I was too sleepy for it to keep me awake. —
节日正在夜晚继续进行,但我实在太困,无法保持清醒。 —

When I woke it was the sound of the rocket exploding that announced the release of the bulls from the corrals at the edge of town. —
当我醒来时,是火箭爆炸的声音宣告了公牛从镇边的畜栏中释放出来。 —

They would race through the streets and out to the bull-ring. —
它们会穿过街道冲向斗牛场。 —

I had been sleeping heavily and I woke feeling I was too late. —
我睡得很沉,醒来时感到为时已晚。 —

I put on a coat of Cohn’s and went out on the balcony. Down below the narrow street was empty. —
我穿上了一件Cohn的外套,走到阳台上。下面窄窄的街道空无一人。 —

All the balconies were crowded with people. Suddenly a crowd came down the street. —
所有的阳台上挤满了人。突然,一群人沿着街道奔跑而来。 —

They were all running, packed close together. —
他们都在跑,互相拥挤在一起。 —

They passed along and up the street toward the bull-ring and behind them came more men running faster, and then some stragglers who were really running. —
他们沿着街道往斗牛场上跑去,后面还有更多快速奔跑的人,以及一些真正在奔跑的落后者。 —

Behind them was a little bare space, and then the bulls galloping, tossing their heads up and down. —
在他们后面是一个小空地,然后是公牛奔跑,垂着头上下摆动。 —

It all went out of sight around the corner. One man fell, rolled to the gutter, and lay quiet. —
他们都消失在转角处。一个人摔倒了,滚到了水沟里,静静地躺着。 —

But the bulls went right on and did not notice him. —
但公牛继续前行,没有注意到他。 —

They were all running together.
他们都在一起奔跑。

After they went out of sight a great roar came from the bull-ring. It kept on. —
当他们消失在视线中后,来自斗牛场传来一阵巨大的喧嚣声。声音不断。 —

Then finally the pop of the rocket that meant the bulls had gotten through the people in the ring and into the corrals. —
最后终于传来了火箭的啪的一声,意味着公牛已经冲过了斗牛场中的人群,回到了畜栏。 —

I went back in the room and got into bed. I had been standing on the stone balcony in bare feet. —
我回到房间里,上了床。我刚才站在石制阳台上,赤脚。 —

I knew our crowd must have all been out at the bull-ring. —
我知道我们的人群一定都在斗牛场上。 —

Back in bed, I went to sleep.
回到床上,我又睡了。

   Cohn woke me when he came in. He started to undress and went over and closed the window because the people on the balcony of the house just across the street were looking in.

科恩进来时叫醒了我。他开始脱衣服,然后走过去关上窗户,因为街对面的房子的阳台上的人在往里张望。

   "Did you see the show?" I asked.

“你看表演了吗?”我问。

   "Yes. We were all there."

“看了。我们都在那里。”

   "Anybody get hurt?"

“有人受伤吗?”

   "One of the bulls got into the crowd in the ring and tossed six or eight people."

“有一头公牛跑进场内,把六到八个人撞倒了。”

   "How did Brett like it?"

“Brett怎么样?”

   "It was all so sudden there wasn't any time for it to bother anybody."

“那一切发生得太突然了,没给谁时间感到害怕。”

   "I wish I'd been up."

“我希望当时在场。”

   "We didn't know where you were. We went to your room but it was locked."

“我们不知道你去哪了。我们去了你的房间,但门锁着。”

   "Where did you stay up?"

“你们在哪里呆到那么晚?”

   "We danced at some club."

“我们在某个俱乐部跳舞。”

   "I got sleepy," I said.

“我开始感到困了。”

   "My gosh! I'm sleepy now," Cohn said. "Doesn't this thing ever stop?"

“天啊!我现在也很困。”科恩说。“这事儿什么时候结束啊?”

   "Not for a week."

“一个星期后。”

   Bill opened the door and put his head in.

比尔打开门,伸出头去。

   "Where were you, Jake?"

“你在哪里呢,杰克?”

   "I saw them go through from the balcony. How was it?"

“我从阳台看到他们通过了。情况怎么样?”

   "Grand."

“很棒。”

   "Where you going?"

“你去哪儿?”

   "To sleep."

“去睡觉。”

No one was up before noon. We ate at tables set out under the arcade. —
中午之前没有人起来,我们在拱廊下摆好桌子吃饭。 —

The town was full of people. We had to wait for a table. After lunch we went over to the Irufla. —
镇上挤满了人,我们不得不等候桌子。午饭后,我们去了伊鲁弗拉。 —

It had filled up, and as the time for the bull-fight came it got fuller, and the tables were crowded closer. —
座位都坐满了,随着斗牛开始的时间临近,人越来越多,桌子间距也变得更加紧凑。 —

There was a close, crowded hum that came every day before the bull-fight. —
每天在斗牛开始前,都会产生一种密集而拥挤的嗡嗡声。 —

The café did not make this same noise at any other time, no matter how crowded it was. —
咖啡馆在没有斗牛时不会发出这种嗡嗡声,无论多么拥挤。 —

This hum went on, and we were in it and a part of it.
这种嗡嗡声持续着,我们置身其中,也成为其中一部分。

I had taken six seats for all the fights. —
我为所有的比赛订了六个座位。 —

Three of them were barreras, the first row at the ring-side, and three were sobrepuertos, seats with wooden backs, half-way up the amphitheatre. —
其中三个是巴雷拉座位,就在擂台边上第一排,另外三个是索布普尔托座位,有木头靠背,位于圆形剧场中间位置。 —

Mike thought Brett had best sit high up for her first time, and Cohn wanted to sit with them. —
迈克认为布莱特第一次最好坐在高处,而科恩想和他们坐在一起。 —

Bill and I were going to sit in the barreras, and I gave the extra ticket to a waiter to sell. —
比尔和我准备坐在看台上,我把多余的票交给了一个服务员去卖。 —

Bill said something to Cohn about what to do and how to look so he would not mind the horses. —
比尔对科恩说了些关于如何应对和看待,这样他就不会在看马时感到不安。 —

Bill had seen one season of bull-fights.
比尔看过一季的斗牛比赛。

   "I'm not worried about how I'll stand it. I'm only afraid I may be bored," Cohn said.

“我不担心我会怎么应对。我只担心可能会感到无聊,”科恩说。

   "You think so?"

“你觉得呢?”

   "Don't look at the horses, after the bull hits them," I said to Brett. "Watch the charge and see the picador try and keep the bull off, but then don't look again until the horse is dead if it's been hit."

“不要看那些被公牛撞到的马,”我对布雷特说。“看向冲锋,看骑士怎样试图把公牛挡开,但如果马被撞到了,就不要再看了,直到马死了。”

“I’m a little nervy about it,” Brett said. —
“我有点紧张,”布雷特说。 —

“I’m worried whether I’ll be able to go through with it all right.”
“我担心能否坚持下去。”

“You’ll be all right. There’s nothing but that horse part that will bother you, and they’re only in for a few minutes with each bull. —
“你会没问题的。只有那部分马会困扰你,而且它们每头公牛只要几分钟。” —

Just don’t watch when it’s bad.”
当情况糟糕时就别看了。”

   "She'll be all right," Mike said. "I'll look after her."

“她会没事的,”迈克说。“我会照顾她。”

   "I don't think you'll be bored," Bill said.

“我不认为你会感到无聊,”比尔说。

“I’m going over to the hotel to get the glasses and the wineskin,” I said. —
“我去旅馆拿眼镜和酒袋,”我说。 —

“See you back here. Don’t get cock-eyed.”
“回来见。别灌醉了。”

   "I'll come along," Bill said. Brett smiled at us.

“我跟去,”比尔说。布雷特朝我们微笑。

   We walked around through the arcade to avoid the heat of the square.

我们在拱廊里走了一圈,以避开广场上的酷热。

   "That Cohn gets me," Bill said. "He's got this Jewish superiority so strong that he thinks the only emotion he'll get out of the fight will be being bored."

“那个科恩让我烦透了,”比尔说。“他那种犹太人的优越感太强烈了,以至于他认为从搏斗中唯一能获得的情感就是无聊。”

   "We'll watch him with the glasses," I said.

“我们会用眼镜盯着他的,”我说。

   "Oh, to hell with him!"

“让他去死吧!”

   "He spends a lot of time there."

“他在那里花了很多时间。”

   "I want him to stay there."

“我想让他呆在那里。”

   In the hotel on the stairs we met Montoya.

在饭店的楼梯上,我们遇见了蒙托亚。

   "Come on," said Montoya. "Do you want to meet Pedro Romero?"

“走吧,”蒙托亚说。“你们想见见佩德罗·罗梅罗吗?”

   "Fine," said Bill. "Let's go see him."

“好的,”比尔说。“我们去看看他。”

   We followed Montoya up a flight and down the corridor.

我们跟着蒙托亚上了一段楼梯,然后穿过走廊。

   "He's in room number eight," Montoya explained. "He's getting dressed for the bull-fight."

“他在八号房间,”蒙托亚解释道。“他正在穿着斗牛服。”

Montoya knocked on the door and opened it. —
蒙托亚敲了敲门,然后打开了门。 —

It was a gloomy room with a little light coming in from the window on the narrow street. —
房间昏暗,只有一点点从窗户射进来的光线。 —

There were two beds separated by a monastic partition. The electric light was on. —
两张床被一道修道的隔板分开。电灯亮着。 —

The boy stood very straight and unsmiling in his bull-fighting clothes. —
那个男孩穿着斗牛服,站得笔直,面无表情。 —

His jacket hung over the back of a chair. They were just finishing winding his sash. —
他的夹克挂在一把椅子上。他们刚刚在整理他的腰带。 —

His black hair shone under the electric light. —
他的黑发在电灯下闪闪发光。 —

He wore a white linen shirt and the swordhandler finished his sash and stood up and stepped back. —
他穿着一件白色亚麻衬衫,剑客整理好他的腰带站起来退后了。 —

Pedro Romero nodded, seeming very far away and dignified when we shook hands. —
佩德罗·罗梅罗点点头,当我们握手时,显得很遥远和庄严。 —

Montoya said something about what great aficionados we were, and that we wanted to wish him luck. —
蒙托亚说了我们是多么伟大的爱好者,我们想要祝他好运。 —

Romero listened very seriously. Then he turned to me. —
罗梅罗认真地听着。然后他转向我。 —

He was the best-looking boy I have ever seen.
他是我见过的最帅的男孩。

   "You go to the bull-fight," he said in English.

“你去看斗牛吧,“他用英语说。

   "You know English," I said, feeling like an idiot.

“你懂英语啊,“我感到自己像个笨蛋。

   "No," he answered, and smiled.

“不,“他回答,并微笑。

One of three men who had been sitting on the beds came up and asked us if we spoke French. —
三个坐在床上的人中的一个走过来问我们是否会讲法语。 —

“Would you like me to interpret for you? —
“你们想要我为你们做口译吗? —

Is there anything you would like to ask Pedro Romero?”
有什么你想问佩德罗·罗梅罗吗?

We thanked him. What was there that you would like to ask? —
我们向他们道谢。你们想要问什么? —

The boy was nineteen years old, alone except for his sword-handlet and the three hangers-on, and the bull-fight was to commence in twenty minutes. —
那个男孩只有十九岁,除了他的剑柄和三个走卒之外,他独自一人,斗牛比赛将在二十分钟后开始。 —

We wished him “Mucha suerte,” shook hands, and went out. —
我们祝他”好运,“握了握手,然后出去了。 —

He was standing, straight and handsome and altogether by himself, alone in the room with the hangers-on as we shut the door.
当我们关上门时,他独自一人站在那里,挺拔而英俊。

   "He's a fine boy, don't you think so?" Montoya asked.

“他是个好孩子,你觉得呢?” 蒙托亚问。

   "He's a good-looking kid," I said.

“他是个俊俏的孩子,“我说。

   "He looks like a torero," Montoya said. "He has the type."

“他看起来像个斗牛士,“蒙托亚说。”他有这种气质。”

   "He's a fine boy."

“他是个好男孩。”

   "We'll see how he is in the ring," Montoya said.

“我们会看看他在斗牛场上表现如何,”蒙托亚说。

   We found the big leather wine-bottle leaning against the wall in my room, took it and the field-glasses, locked the door, and went down-stairs.

我们在我的房间找到了大皮革酒瓶靠在墙上,拿起了它和望远镜,锁上门,然后下楼去。

It was a good bull-fight. Bill and I were very excited about Pedro Romero. —
那场斗牛很精彩。比尔和我对佩德罗·罗梅罗感到非常兴奋。 —

Montoya was sitting about ten places away. —
蒙托亚坐在大约十个位置以外。 —

After Romero had killed his first bull Montoya caught my eye and nodded his head. —
罗梅罗杀掉第一头公牛后,蒙托亚看了我一眼点了点头。 —

This was a real one. There had not been a real one for a long time. —
这是一场真正的斗牛。很久没有这么激动人心的了。 —

Of the other two matadors, one was very fair and the other was passable. —
另外两位斗牛士,一个非常一般,另一个还过得去。 —

But there was no comparison with Romero, although neither of his bulls was much.
但与罗梅罗相比完全不在一个层次,尽管他的公牛都不太强。

Several times during the bull-fight I looked up at Mike and Brett and Cohn, with the glasses. —
在斗牛过程中,我用望远镜几次看着迈克、布雷特和科恩。 —

They seemed to be all right. Brett did not look upset. —
他们看起来挺好的。布雷特看起来并没有心烦意乱。 —

All three were leaning forward on the concrete railing in front of them.
三个人都俯身靠在他们面前的混凝土栏杆上。

   "Let me take the glasses," Bill said.

“让我用望远镜看看,”比尔说。

   "Does Cohn look bored?" I asked.

“科恩看上去无聊吗?”我问。

   "That kike!"

“那个犹太佬!”

Outside the ring, after the bull-fight was over, you could not move in the crowd. —
法斗结束后,在场外,人潮中你无法移动。 —

We could not make our way through but had to be moved with the whole thing, slowly, as a glacier, back to town. —
我们无法穿过人群,只能被整个活动慢慢像冰川一样缓缓推回镇上。 —

We had that disturbed emotional feeling that always comes after a bull-fight, and the feeling of elation that comes after a good bullfight. —
我们有种骚动不安的情感,总是在参加了一场牛斗后出现,还有一种在一场精彩牛斗后出现的欢欣之情。 —

The fiesta was going on. The drums pounded and the pipe music was shrill, and everywhere the flow of the crowd was broken by patches of dancers. —
活动继续进行着。鼓声隆隆,风笛声尖利刺耳,人群中不时被跳舞者围困。 —

The dancers were in a crowd, so you did not see the intricate play of the feet. —
舞者们在人群中,所以你看不到脚下复杂的舞步。 —

All you saw was the heads and shoulders going up and down, up and down. —
你只看到头和肩膀上下起伏,上下起伏。 —

Finally, we got out of the crowd and made for the café. —
最后,我们从人群中走出来,朝咖啡馆走去。 —

The waiter saved chairs for the others, and we each ordered an absinthe and watched the crowd in the square and the dancers.
侍者为其他人留了座位,我们每人点了一杯苦艾酒,看着广场上的人群和舞者。

   "What do you suppose that dance is?" Bill asked.

“你觉得那个舞蹈是什么?” 比尔问道。

   "It's a sort of jota."

“是一种豪塔舞蹈,“。

   "They're not all the same," Bill said. "They dance differently to all the different tunes."

“他们不都一样,” 比尔说。”他们根据不同的音乐跳不同的舞步.”

   "It's swell dancing."

“非常棒的舞蹈.”

In front of us on a clear part of the street a company of boys were dancing. —
在我们面前的街道上一个孩子们的队伍在跳舞。 —

The steps were very intricate and their faces were intent and concentrated. —
舞步非常复杂,他们的脸上充满了专注和集中。 —

They all looked down while they danced. Their rope-soled shoes tapped and spatted on the pavement. —
他们跳舞时都低着头。他们的草鞋在人行道上发出轻轻的踏击声。 —

The toes touched. The heels touched. The balls of the feet touched. —
脚趾相接触。脚后跟相贴。脚掌相接触。 —

Then the music broke wildly and the step was finished and they were all dancing on up the street.
然后音乐疯狂起来,舞步结束,他们都在街上跳舞。

   "Here come the gentry," Bill said.

“上流社会来了,” 比尔说。

   They were crossing the street.

他们正在过马路。

   "Hello, men," I said.

“你们好,伙计们,” 我说。

   "Hello, gents!" said Brett. "You saved us seats? How nice."

“你们好,绅士们!” 布雷特说。 “你们给我们留座位?太好了。”

   "I say," Mike said, "that Romero what'shisname is somebody. Am I wrong?"

“我说,那个罗梅罗什么的是个人物。我错了吗?”

   "Oh, isn't he lovely," Brett said. "And those green trousers."

“哦,他是多么可爱,” 布雷特说。 “还有那些绿色的裤子。”

   "Brett never took her eyes off them."

“布雷特从未将目光从他们身上移开。”

   "I say, I must borrow your glasses to-morrow."

“我说,明天借一下你的眼镜好吗?”

   "How did it go?"

“进行得如何?”

   "Wonderfully! Simply perfect. I say, it is a spectacle!"

“太棒了!简直完美。我说,这是一场壮观的表演!”

   "How about the horses?"

“马怎么样?”

   "I couldn't help looking at them."

“我禁不住看着它们。”

   "She couldn't take her eyes off them," Mike said. "She's an extraordinary wench."

“她无法将目光从它们身上移开,” 迈克说。 “她是一个特别的女人。”

“They do have some rather awful things happen to them,” Brett said. —
“他们确实发生了一些相当可怕的事情,“布雷特说。 —

“I couldn’t look away, though.”
“但我却无法移开目光。”

   "Did you feel all right?"

“你感觉还好吗?”

   "I didn't feel badly at all."

“我一点都不难受。”

   "Robert Cohn did," Mike put in. "You were quite green, Robert."

“罗伯特·科恩倒是难受了,“麦克插话道。”你当时脸色苍白,罗伯特。”

   "The first horse did bother me," Cohn said.

“第一匹马的确让我感到不适,“科恩说。

   "You weren't bored, were you?" asked Bill.

“你不觉得无聊,对吧?”比尔问道。

   Cohn laughed.

科恩笑了。

   "No. I wasn't bored. I wish you'd forgive me that."

“不,我不觉得无聊。希望你们原谅我刚才的表现。”

   "It's all right," Bill said, "so long as you weren't bored."

“没关系,“比尔说,”只要你没有觉得无聊就好。”

   "He didn't look bored," Mike said. "I thought he was going to be sick."

“他不像是无聊的样子。我还以为他要呕吐了。”

   "I never felt that bad. It was just for a minute."

“我从来没有感觉那么糟。只是有一瞬间而已。”

   "_I_ thought he was going to be sick. You weren't bored, were you, Robert?"

就觉得他要呕吐了。你不无聊吧,罗伯特?”

   "Let up on that, Mike. I said I was sorry I said it."

“别再说了,麦克。我已经道歉了。”

   "He was, you know. He was positively green."

“你知道的,他当时确实脸色苍白。”

   "Oh, shove it along, Michael."

“哦,把它顺着走,迈克尔。”

“You mustn’t ever get bored at your first bull-fight, Robert,” Mike said. —
迈克说:“罗伯特,你在第一场斗牛比赛中绝对不会感到无聊。” —

“It might make such a mess.”
“这可能会弄得一团糟。”

   "Oh, shove it along, Michael," Brett said.

“哦,把它顺着走,迈克尔。”布雷特说。

“He said Brett was a sadist,” Mike said. —
“他说布雷特是个虐待狂,”迈克说。 —

“Brett’s not a sadist. She’s just a lovely, healthy wench.”
“布雷特不是虐待狂。她只是一个可爱、健康的女人。”

   "Are you a sadist, Brett?" I asked.

“你是个虐待狂吗,布雷特?”我问道。

   "Hope not."

“希望不是。”

   "He said Brett was a sadist just because she has a good, healthy stomach."

“他说布雷特是个虐待狂,只是因为她有一个健康的胃。”

   "Won't be healthy long."

“不会健康太久。”

   Bill got Mike started on something else than Cohn. The waiter brought the absinthe glasses.

比尔找到了迈克想谈的其他事情而不是考恩。侍者端来了苦艾酒杯。

   "Did you really like it?" Bill asked Cohn.

比尔问考恩:“你真的喜欢吗?”

   "No, I can't say I liked it. I think it's a wonderful show."

考恩说:“不,我不能说我喜欢。我认为这是一场精彩的表演。”

   "Gad, yes! What a spectacle!" Brett said.

“天呐,是的!多么壮观!”布雷特说。

   "I wish they didn't have the horse part," Cohn said.

考恩说:“我希望他们不会有骑马的部分。”

   "They're not important," Bill said. "After a while you never notice anything disgusting."

“它们不重要,”比尔说。“过了一段时间,你就不会再注意到任何令人恶心的东西了。”

“It is a bit strong just at the start,” Brett said. —
“刚开始确实有点刺鼻,”布雷特说。 —

“There’s a dreadful moment for me just when the bull starts for the horse.”
“对我来说,正是当公牛向马发起攻击时最可怕的时刻。”

   "The bulls were fine," Cohn said.

“公牛们很不错,”科恩说。

   "They were very good," Mike said.

“他们非常出色,”迈克说。

   "I want to sit down below, next time." Brett drank from her glass of absinthe.

“下次我想坐在下面,”布雷特喝了一口她的苦艾酒。

   "She wants to see the bull-fighters close by," Mike said.

“她想要靠近看斗牛士,”迈克说。

   "They are something," Brett said. "That Romero lad is just a child."

“那些斗牛士真棒,”布雷特说。“那个罗梅罗小伙子就像个孩子。”

“He’s a damned good-looking boy,” I said. —
“他长相真不错,”我说。 —

“When we were up in his room I never saw a better-looking kid.”
“我们在他房间时,我从未见过一个长相比他更好的小伙子。”

   "How old do you suppose he is?"

“你觉得他多大了?”

   "Nineteen or twenty."

“十九或者二十。”

   "Just imagine it."

“想象一下。”

The bull-fight on the second day was much better than on the first. —
第二天的斗牛比第一天好太多了。 —

Brett sat between Mike and me at the barrera, and Bill and Cohn went up above. —
布雷特坐在我和迈克之间的第一排,而比尔和科恩则坐在上面。 —

Romero was the whole show. I do not think Brett saw any other bull-fighter. —
罗梅罗是整个表演的焦点。我觉得布雷特没有看到其他斗牛士。 —

No one else did either, except the hard-shelled technicians. It was all Romero. —
其他人也没看到,除了那些冷酷无情的技术人员。这一切都是罗梅罗的表演。 —

There were two other matadors, but they did not count. —
还有另外两名斗牛士,但他们不算数。 —

I sat beside Brett and explained to Brett what it was all about. —
我坐在布雷特旁边,向她解释了一切。 —

I told her about watching the bull, not the horse, when the bulls charged the picadors, and got her to watching the picador place the point of his pic so that she saw what it was all about, so that it became more something that was going on with a definite end, and less of a spectacle with unexplained horrors. —
我告诉她要观察斗牛时看牛而不是马,当公牛冲过来刺马士时,要观察他如何使出刺枪,让她明白整个过程,让她看到这不仅是一场充满未知恐怖的表演,而是有着明确目标的事情。 —

I had her watch how Romero took the bull away from a fallen horse with his cape, and how he held him with the cape and turned him, smoothly and suavely, never wasting the bull. —
我让她看罗梅罗如何用斗篷引开倒下的马而将公牛转动起来,他总是保持风度从容,从不浪费公牛的力气。 —

She saw how Romero avoided every brusque movement and saved his bulls for the last when he wanted them, not winded and discomposed but smoothly worn down. —
她看到罗梅罗总是在最后时刻与公牛战斗,而不是让公牛喘不过气来。 —

She saw how close Romero always worked to the bull, and I pointed out to her the tricks the other bull-fighters used to make it look as though they were working closely. —
她看到罗梅罗总是与公牛保持极近的距离,我指出其他斗牛士为了让这一举动看起来更危险而使用的把戏。 —

She saw why she liked Romero’s cape-work and why she did not like the others.
她看出了自己为什么喜欢罗梅罗的斗篷技巧,为什么不喜欢其他人的。

Romero never made any contortions, always it was straight and pure and natural in line. —
罗梅罗的动作从不做作,总是笔直、纯粹、自然。 —

The others twisted themselves like corkscrews, their elbows raised, and leaned against the flanks of the bull after his horns had passed, to give a faked look of danger. —
其他人则像螺旋形扭动自己,伸出肘部,公牛的角过去后他们依靠公牛的躯体,制造出一种虚假的危险感。 —

Afterward, all that was faked turned bad and gave an unpleasant feeling. —
之后,所有虚假的一切都变得糟糕,给人一种令人不愉快的感觉。 —

Romero’s bull-fighting gave real emotion, because he kept the absolute purity of line in his movements and always quietly and calmly let the horns pass him close each time. —
罗梅罗的斗牛表演让人产生真实的情感,因为他的动作保持着绝对纯净的线条,总是轻松从容地让公牛的角近距离经过他身旁。 —

He did not have to emphasize their closeness. —
他不需要强调这种近距离。 —

Brett saw how something that was beautiful done close to the bull was ridiculous if it were done a little way off. —
布雷特看到,如果在离公牛稍远的地方进行美丽的表演反而变得荒谬。 —

I told her how since the death of Joselito all the bull-fighters had been developing a technique that simulated this appearance of danger in order to give a fake emotional feeling, while the bull-fighter was really safe. —
我告诉她自从Joselito去世后,所有斗牛士们一直在发展一种技术,以模拟危险的外观,以便传递虚假的情感体验,而实际上斗牛士是安全的。 —

Romero had the old thing, the holding of his purity of line through the maximum of exposure, while he dominated the bull by making him realize he was unattainable, while he prepared him for the killing.
罗梅罗掌握了这个古老的技巧,通过最大限度地暴露自己来保持他的纯净线条,同时通过让公牛意识到他是无法触及的来控制他,为杀戮做准备。

   "I've never seen him do an awkward thing," Brett said.

“我从未见过他做出尴尬的举动,” 布雷特说。

   "You won't until he gets frightened," I said.

“直到他感到害怕你才会看到,” 我说。

   "He'll never be frightened," Mike said. "He knows too damned much."

“他永远不会感到害怕,” 麦克说。”他知道得太多了。”

   "He knew everything when he started. The others can't ever learn what he was born with."

“他刚开始就知道一切。其他人永远学不会他与生俱来的东西。”

   "And God, what looks," Brett said.

“天啊,他看起来帅极了,” 布雷特说。

   "I believe, you know, that she's falling in love with this bullfighter chap," Mike said.

“我相信,你懂的,她正爱上这个斗牛手小伙子,” 麦克说。

   "I wouldn't be surprised."

“我一点也不意外。”

   "Be a good chap, Jake. Don't tell her anything more about him. Tell her how they beat their old mothers."

“做个好小伙子,杰克。不要告诉她更多关于他的事情。告诉她他们是怎么打老母亲的。”

   "Tell me what drunks they are."

“告诉我他们是多么醉酒了。”

   "Oh, frightful," Mike said. "Drunk all day and spend all their time beating their poor old mothers."

“哦,可怕极了,” 麦克说。”整天都醉醺醺的,把可怜的老母亲都打。”

   "He looks that way," Brett said.

“他看起来就是那样,” 布雷特说。

   "Doesn't he?" I said.

“是的,对不对?” 我说。

   They had hitched the mules to the dead bull and then the whips cracked, the men ran, and the mules, straining forward, their legs pushing, broke into a gallop, and the bull, one horn up, his head on its side, swept a swath smoothly across the sand and out the red gate.

他们把骡子拴在死牛身上,鞭子炸响,人们奔跑,骡子奋力前行,蹄子蹬地,飞奔而过,公牛一只角朝上,头斜靠在一侧,将一条平整的路径划过沙地,冲出了红色的大门。

   "This next is the last one."

“接下来这场是最后一场。”

“Not really,” Brett said. She leaned forward on the barrera. —
“不是真的,”布莱特说。她向前倾在栅栏上。 —

Romero waved his picadors to their places, then stood, his cape against his chest, looking across the ring to where the bull would come out.
罗梅罗挥舞着他的骑士把他们安置好,然后站在那里,斗篷紧贴在胸前,看向牛会从哪里冲出来的地方。

   After it was over we went out and were pressed tight in the crowd.

结束后,我们走出去,被人群挤得水泄不通。

   "These bull-fights are hell on one," Brett said. "I'm limp as a rag."

“这些斗牛赛真是让人疲惫不堪,”布莱特说。“我软得像块抹布。”

   "Oh, you'll get a drink," Mike said.

“哦,你会有饮料的,”迈克说。

The next day Pedro Romero did not fight. It was Miura bulls, and a very bad bull-fight. —
第二天,佩德罗·罗梅罗没有参加比赛。那天是米乌拉斗牛,一场非常糟糕的比赛。 —

The next day there was no bull-fight scheduled. —
第二天没有安排斗牛比赛。 —

But all day and all night the fiesta kept on.
但整天整夜的庆祝活动仍在继续。