Outside the Bar Milano I found Bill and Mike and Edna. Edna was the girl’s name.
在巴尔米兰娜酒吧外面,我找到了比尔、迈克和艾德娜。艾德娜是那个女孩的名字。

   "We've been thrown out," Edna said.

“我们被赶出去了,” 艾德娜说。

   "By the police," said Mike. "There's some people in there that don't like me."

“被警察赶的,” 迈克说。”里面有些人不喜欢我。”

   "I've kept them out of four fights," Edna said. "You've got to help me."

“我已经把他们挡在四场打斗之外了,” 艾德娜说。”你们必须帮帮我。”

   Bill's face was red.

比尔的脸涨得通红。

   "Come back in, Edna," he said. "Go on in there and dance with Mike."

“回去吧,艾德娜,” 他说。”去里面和迈克跳支舞吧。”

   "It's silly," Edna said. "There'll just be another row."

“这太愚蠢了,” 艾德娜说。”只会引起另一场争吵。”

   "Damned Biarritz swine," Bill said.

“该死的比亚里茨猪,” 比尔说。

   "Come on," Mike said. "After all, it's a pub. They can't occupy a whole pub."

“走啊,” 迈克说。”毕竟这是个酒吧。他们不能占据整个酒吧。”

   "Good old Mike," Bill said. "Damned English swine come here and insult Mike and try and spoil the fiesta."

“好老迈克,” 比尔说。”该死的英国猪跑到这里来侮辱迈克,试图破坏节日。”

   "They're so bloody," Mike said. "I hate the English."

“他们真该死,” 迈克说。”我讨厌英国人。”

“They can’t insult Mike,” Bill said. “Mike is a swell fellow. —
“他们不能侮辱迈克,” 比尔说。”迈克是个好家伙。” —

They can’t insult Mike. I won’t stand it. —
“他们不能侮辱迈克。我不能容忍。” —

Who cares if he is a damn bankrupt?” His voice broke.
“管他是不是破产?” 他的声音颤抖了。

   "Who cares?" Mike said. "I don't care. Jake doesn't care. Do _you_ care?"

“谁在乎?我不在乎。杰克也不在乎。你在乎吗?” 迈克说。

   "No," Edna said. "Are you a bankrupt?"

“不是的,”艾德娜说。“你是个破产者吗?”

   "Of course I am. You don't care, do you, Bill?"

“当然了。比尔,你不在乎吧?”

   Bill put his arm around Mike's shoulder.

比尔把胳膊搭在迈克的肩膀上。

   "I wish to hell I was a bankrupt. I'd show those bastards."

“我恨不得自己也成为破产者。我会让那些混蛋见识一下。”

   "They're just English," Mike said. "It never makes any difference what the English say."

“他们只是英国人,”迈克说。“英国人说什么都没用。”

   "The dirty swine," Bill said. "I'm going to clean them out."

“这帮龌龊的家伙,”比尔说。“我要把他们彻底清理一下。”

   "Bill," Edna looked at me. "Please don't go in again, Bill. They're so stupid."

“比尔,”艾德娜看着我。“比尔,别再去了。他们太愚蠢了。”

   "That's it," said Mike. "They're stupid. I knew that was what it was."

“就是这样,”迈克说。“他们愚蠢。我就知道是这样。”

   "They can't say things like that about Mike," Bill said.

“他们不能这样说迈克,”比尔说。

   "Do you know them?" I asked Mike.

“你认识他们吗?”我问迈克。

   "No. I never saw them. They say they know me."

“不,我从没见过他们。他们说他们认识我。”

   "I won't stand it," Bill said.

“我不能容忍。”比尔说。

   "Come on. Let's go over to the Suizo," I said.

“走吧。我们去苏伊索酒店,”我说。

   "They're a bunch of Edna's friends from Biarritz," Bill said.

“他们都是艾德娜在比亚里茨的朋友,”比尔说。

   "They're simply stupid," Edna said.

“他们只是愚蠢而已,”艾德娜说。

   "One of them's Charley Blackman, from Chicago," Bill said.

“其中一个是来自芝加哥的查理·布莱克曼,” 比尔说。

   "I was never in Chicago," Mike said.

“我从来没去过芝加哥,” 迈克说。

   Edna started to laugh and could not stop.

爱德娜开始笑起来,停不下来。

   "Take me away from here," she said, "you bankrupts."

“把我带离这里吧,” 她说,”你们这些破产者。”

   "What kind of a row was it?" I asked Edna. We were walking across the square to the Suizo. Bill was gone.

“发生了什么事?” 我问爱德娜。我们正穿过广场朝着瑞士咖啡馆走去。比尔已经走了。

“I don’t know what happened, but some one had the police called to keep Mike out of the back room. —
“我不知道发生了什么,但有人报警让警察把迈克拦在后厅外面了。 —

There were some people that had known Mike at Cannes. —
有些人在戛纳认识过迈克。 —

What’s the matter with Mike?”
米克怎么了?”

   "Probably he owes them money," I said. "That's what people usually get bitter about."

“可能是他欠他们钱,” 我说,”那是人们通常会变得痛苦的原因。”

In front of the ticket-booths out in the square there were two lines of people waiting. —
在广场上售票亭前,有两排人在等待。 —

They were sitting on chairs or crouched on the ground with blankets and newspapers around them. —
他们坐在椅子上或蹲在地上,周围铺着毯子和报纸。 —

They were waiting for the wickets to open in the morning to buy tickets for the bull-fight. —
他们在等待明天早上售票口开放,购买斗牛比赛的门票。 —

The night was clearing and the moon was out. —
夜晚开始放晴,月亮升起来。 —

Some of the people in the line were sleeping.
队伍中有些人在睡觉。

   At the Café Suizo we had just sat down and ordered Fundador when Robert Cohn came up.

在瑞士咖啡馆我们刚刚坐下并点了Fundador时,罗伯特·科恩走了过来。

   "Where's Brett?" he asked.

“Brett在哪里?”他问道。

   "I don't know."

“我不知道。”

   "She was with you."

“她和你在一起。”

   "She must have gone to bed."

“她一定是去睡觉了。”

   "She's not."

“她没有。”

   "I don't know where she is."

“我不知道她在哪里。”

   His face was sallow under the light. He was standing up.

在灯光下,他的脸色苍白。他站了起来。

   "Tell me where she is."

“告诉我她在哪里。”

   "Sit down," I said. "I don't know where she is."

“坐下,”我说道。”我不知道她在哪里。”

   "The hell you don't!"

“你扯谎!”

   "You can shut your face."

“闭上你的嘴。”

   "Tell me where Brett is."

“告诉我Brett在哪里。”

   "I'll not tell you a damn thing."

“我才不告诉你任何东西。”

   "You know where she is."

“你知道她在哪里。”

   "If I did I wouldn't tell you."

“如果我知道,我也不会告诉你。”

“Oh, go to hell, Cohn,” Mike called from the table. —
“哦,去死吧,科恩,”从桌子旁远处的麦克喊道。 —

“Brett’s gone off with the bull-fighter chap. —
“布莱特跟那个斗牛士走了。 —

They’re on their honeymoon.”
他们正在度蜜月。”

   "You shut up."

“你闭嘴。”

   "Oh, go to hell!" Mike said languidly.

“哦,见鬼去吧!”麦克慵懒地说。

   "Is that where she is?" Cohn turned to me.

“她就在那里吗?”科恩转向我。

   "Go to hell!"

“见鬼去吧!”

   "She was with you. Is that where she is?"

“她跟着你。她就在那儿吗?”

   "Go to hell!"

“见鬼去吧!”

   "I'll make you tell me"--he stepped forward--"you damned pimp."

“我会让你告诉我的” - 他向前迈步 - “你这该死的拉皮条。”

I swung at him and he ducked. I saw his face duck sideways in the light. —
我朝他挥拳,他躲开了。我看见他的脸在光线中侧头闪开。 —

He hit me and I sat down on the pavement. As I started to get on my feet he hit me twice. —
他打了我一拳,我坐在人行道上。当我试图站起来时,他又打了我两次。 —

I went down backward under a table. I tried to get up and felt I did not have any legs. —
我向后倒在桌子下。我试图站起来,感觉自己的腿没有了。 —

I felt I must get on my feet and try and hit him. Mike helped me up. —
我觉得我必须站起来,试着打他。麦克帮我站起来。 —

Some one poured a carafe of water on my head. —
有人在我头上倒了一瓶水。 —

Mike had an arm around me, and I found I was sitting on a chair. —
迈克的一只胳膊搂着我,我发现自己正坐在一把椅子上。 —

Mike was pulling at my ears.
迈克正拽着我的耳朵。

   "I say, you were cold," Mike said.

“我说,你冷了,”迈克说。

   "Where the hell were you?"

“你到底在哪?”

   "Oh, I was around."

“哦,我在附近。”

   "You didn't want to mix in it?"

“你不想卷入这场混乱?”

   "He knocked Mike down, too," Edna said.

“他也把迈克打倒了,”艾德娜说。

   "He didn't knock me out," Mike said. "I just lay there."

“他没打倒我,”迈克说。“我只是躺在那里。”

   "Does this happen every night at your fiestas?" Edna asked. "Wasn't that Mr. Cohn?"

“你们的派对每晚都这样吗?”艾德娜问。“那不是柯恩先生吗?”

   "I'm all right," I said. "My head's a little wobbly."

“我没事,”我说。“我头有点晕。”

   There were several waiters and a crowd of people standing around.

周围有几个服务员和一群人。

   "Vaya!" said Mike. "Get away. Go on."

“走开!”迈克说。“走开。”

   The waiters moved the people away.

服务员把人们赶开。

   "It was quite a thing to watch," Edna said. "He must be a boxer."

“看起来挺刺激的,”艾德娜说。“他一定是拳击手。”

   "He is."

“他就是。”

“I wish Bill had been here,” Edna said. —
“艾德娜说:“我希望比尔能在这里。” —

“I’d like to have seen Bill knocked down, too. —
“我也想看到比尔被打倒。” —

I’ve always wanted to see Bill knocked down. He’s so big.”
“我一直想看到比尔被打倒。他个子真高。”

“I was hoping he would knock down a waiter,” Mike said, “and get arrested. —
迈克说:“我希望他能把一个侍者打倒,并被逮捕。” —

I’d like to see Mr. Robert Cohn in jail.”
“我想看到罗伯特科恩先生进监狱。”

   "No," I said.

“不,”我说。

   "Oh, no," said Edna. "You don't mean that."

“哦,不,”艾德娜说,“你不是这个意思。”

“I do, though,” Mike said. “I’m not one of these chaps likes being knocked about. —
“不过,我确实是,”迈克说。“我不像那些喜欢被捉弄的家伙。 —

I never play games, even.”
我从来不玩游戏。”

   Mike took a drink.

迈克喝了一口。

“I never liked to hunt, you know. There was always the danger of having a horse fall on you. —
“我从来不喜欢打猎,你知道的。总是有马匹可能会压到你。” —

How do you feel, Jake?”
“你感觉怎么样,杰克?”

   "All right."

“还好。”

   "You're nice," Edna said to Mike. "Are you really a bankrupt?"

“你很好,”艾德娜对迈克说。“你真的是个破产者吗?”

   "I'm a tremendous bankrupt," Mike said. "I owe money to everybody. Don't you owe any money?"

“我是个巨大的破产者,”迈克说。“我欠每个人的钱。你难道没有欠钱吗?”

   "Tons."

“吨。”

   "I owe everybody money," Mike said. "I borrowed a hundred pesetas from Montoya to-night."

迈克说:“我欠每个人钱。今晚我从蒙托亚借了一百比塞塔。”

   "The hell you did," I said.

“你开什么玩笑,”我说。

   "I'll pay it back," Mike said. "I always pay everything back."

迈克说:“我会还的。我总是把所有东西都还清。”

   "That's why you're a bankrupt, isn't it?" Edna said.

“这就是你破产的原因,对吧?”艾德娜说。

   I stood up. I had heard them talking from a long way away. It all seemed like some bad play.

我站了起来。我好像听到他们在远处谈话。这一切都像是一出糟糕的戏剧。

   "I'm going over to the hotel," I said. Then I heard them talking about me.

“我要去旅馆了,”我说。然后我听到他们在谈论我。

   "Is he all right?" Edna asked.

艾德娜问:“他还好吗?”

   "We'd better walk with him."

“我们最好跟着他走。”

   "I'm all right," I said. "Don't come. I'll see you all later."

“我没事,”我说。“不用来。我待会儿再见你们。”

I walked away from the café. They were sitting at the table. —
我走出咖啡馆。他们坐在桌子旁。 —

I looked back at them and at the empty tables. —
我回头看着他们和空桌子。 —

There was a waiter sitting at one of the tables with his head in his hands.
有个侍者坐在一张桌子上,头托在手上。

Walking across the square to the hotel everything looked new and changed. —
穿过广场去往旅馆,一切看起来都是新的和改变了。 —

I had never seen the trees before. I had never seen the flagpoles before, nor the front of the theatre. —
我以前从未见过这些树。以前我从未见过旗杆,也从未见过剧院的正面。 —

It was all different. I felt as I felt once coming home from an out-of-town football game. —
一切都变了。我感觉就像曾经从外地的足球比赛回家时那样。 —

I was carrying a suitcase with my football things in it, and I walked up the street from the station in the town I had lived in all my life and it was all new. —
我提着装着足球装备的手提箱,从车站走上了通往我这辈子一直生活的小镇的街道,但一切都变得陌生了。 —

They were raking the lawns and burning leaves in the road, and I stopped for a long time and watched. —
他们正在耙草坪,把树叶在路上烧掉,我停下来看了很长时间。 —

It was all strange. Then I went on, and my feet seemed to be a long way off, and everything seemed to come from a long way off, and I could hear my feet walking a great distance away. —
一切都很陌生。然后我继续往前走,我的脚似乎离我很远,每样东西看起来似乎都来自遥远之处,我可以听到我的脚步在很远的地方踏着。 —

I had been kicked in the head early in the game. It was like that crossing the square. —
我在比赛开始时被人踢了一脚。过马路时就像那样疼痛。 —

It was like that going up the stairs in the hotel. —
在旅馆的楼梯上也是这样。 —

Going up the stairs took a long time, and I had the feeling that I was carrying my suitcase. —
上楼梯花费了很长时间,我感觉自己还在提着手提箱。 —

There was a light in the room. Bill came out and met me in the hall.
房间里亮着灯。比尔出来在走廊上迎接我。

   "Say," he said, "go up and see Cohn. He's been in a jam, and he's asking for you."

“说吧,”他说,“上去看看科恩。他遇到麻烦了,正在找你。”

   "The hell with him."

“见鬼去吧。”

   "Go on. Go on up and see him."

“继续。上去看看他。”

   I did not want to climb another flight of stairs.

我不想再爬一层楼梯。

   "What are you looking at me that way for?"

“你为什么这样看着我?”

   "I'm not looking at you. Go on up and see Cohn. He's in bad shape."

“我又没看你。上去看看Cohn。他状况不好。”

   "You were drunk a little while ago," I said.

“你刚刚有点喝醉了,”我说。

   "I'm drunk now," Bill said. "But you go up and see Cohn. He wants to see you."

“我喝醉了”,比尔说道。“但你去见科恩吧。他想见你。”

“All right,” I said. It was just a matter of climbing more stairs. —
“好的,”我说。只是多爬几级楼梯而已。 —

I went on up the stairs carrying my phantom suitcase. —
我继续上楼,提着我的虚拟手提箱。 —

I walked down the hail to Cohn’s room. The door was shut and I knocked.
我走过走廊到达科恩的房间。门是关着的,我敲了敲门。

   "Who is it?"

“是谁?”

   "Barnes."

“巴恩斯。”

   "Come in, Jake."

“进来,杰克。”

I opened the door and went in, and set down my suitcase. —
我打开门走了进去,放下我的手提箱。 —

There was no light in the room. Cohn was lying, face down, on the bed in the dark.
房间里没有灯光。科恩躺在床上,脸朝下,处于黑暗中。

   "Hello, Jake."

“你好,杰克。”

   "Don't call me Jake."

“别叫我杰克。”

I stood by the door. It was just like this that I had come home. —
我站在门旁。就是这样,我回家了。 —

Now it was a hot bath that I needed. A deep, hot bath, to lie back in.
现在我需要的是一个热水浴。一个深沉、热水的浴,躺在其中。

   "Where's the bathroom?" I asked.

“洗手间在哪里?”我问道。

   Cohn was crying. There he was, face down on the bed, crying.

科恩在哭。就在那里,躺在床上,面朝下,哭泣。

   He had on a white polo shirt, the kind he'd worn at Princeton.

他穿着一件白色polo衫,那种他在普林斯顿时穿过的款式。

   "I'm sorry, Jake. Please forgive me."

“杰克,对不起。请原谅我。”

   "Forgive you, hell."

“原谅你?见鬼吧。”

   "Please forgive me, Jake."

“请原谅我,杰克。”

   I did not say anything. I stood there by the door.

我没有说任何话。我站在门旁。

   "I was crazy. You must see how it was."

“我疯了。你一定能理解当时的情况。

   "Oh, that's all right."

“哦,没关系。”

   "I couldn't stand it about Brett."

“我无法忍受布莱特的事情。”

   "You called me a pimp."

“你说我是拉皮条。

   I did not care. I wanted a hot bath. I wanted a hot bath in deep water.

我不在乎。我想要一次热水浴。我想要在深水中泡个热水浴。

   "I know. Please don't remember it. I was crazy."

“我知道。请不要记得。当时我疯了。”

   "That's all right."

“没事的。”

He was crying. His voice was funny. —
他哭了。他的声音有些古怪。 —

He lay there in his white shirt on the bed in the dark. His polo shirt.
他躺在黑暗中的床上,穿着他的白衬衫。他的polo衫。

   "I'm going away in the morning."

“我明天早上就要离开了。”

   He was crying without making any noise.

他在默默流泪。

“I just couldn’t stand it about Brett. I’ve been through hell, Jake. It’s been simply hell. —
“我真受不了关于布雷特的事。我过得太艰难了,杰克。简直是地狱。” —

When I met her down here Brett treated me as though I were a perfect stranger. —
当我在这里遇见她时,布雷特对我如陌生人一般。 —

I just couldn’t stand it. We lived together at San Sebastian. —
我实在受不了。我们曾在圣塞巴斯蒂安住在一起。 —

I suppose you know it. I can’t stand it any more.”
我想你知道。我再也受不了了。

   He lay there on the bed.

他躺在床上。

   "Well," I said, "I'm going to take a bath."

“好吧,”我说,“我要去洗个澡。”

   "You were the only friend I had, and I loved Brett so."

“你是我唯一的朋友,而我如此爱着布雷特。”

   "Well," I said, "so long."

“好吧,”我说,“再见。”

   "I guess it isn't any use," he said. "I guess it isn't any damn use."

“我想这没用,”他说。“我想这一点都没用。”

   "What?"

“什么?”

   "Everything. Please say you forgive me, Jake."

“一切。请说你原谅我,杰克。”

   "Sure," I said. "It's all right."

“当然,”我说。“没关系。”

   "I felt so terribly. I've been through such hell, Jake. Now everything's gone. Everything."

“我感觉太可怕了。我经历了如此可怕的事,杰克。现在一切都消失了。一切。”

   "Well," I said, "so long. I've got to go."

“好吧,”我说,“再见。我得走了。”

   He rolled over sat on the edge of the bed, and then stood up.

他翻身坐在床沿,然后站了起来。

   "So long, Jake," he said. "You'll shake hands, won't you?"

“再见,杰克,”他说道。“你会和我握手吗?”

   "Sure. Why not?"

“当然。为什么不呢?”

   We shook hands. In the dark I could not see his face very well.

我们握手了。在黑暗中我看不清楚他的脸。

   "Well," I said, "see you in the morning."

“好了,”我说,“明天见。”

   "I'm going away in the morning."

“我明天就要离开了。”

   "Oh, yes," I said.

“哦,是的,”我说。

   I went out. Cohn was standing in the door of the room.

我走了出去。科恩站在房间的门口。

   "Are you all right, Jake?" he asked.

“杰克,你没事吧?”他问。

   "Oh, yes," I said. "I'm all right."

“哦,没事,”我说。“我没事。”

I could not find the bathroom. After a while I found it. There was a deep stone tub. —
我找不到卫生间。过了一会儿我找到了。那里有一个深石浴缸。 —

I turned on the taps and the water would not run. I sat down on the edge of the bath-tub. —
我打开水龙头,水却不流。我坐在浴缸边缘。 —

When I got up to go I found I had taken off my shoes. —
站起来准备离开时,发现我脱了鞋。 —

I hunted for them and found them and carried them down-stairs. —
我四处找到了鞋并拿着它们下楼。 —

I found my room and went inside and undressed and got into bed.
找到了我的房间,进去脱衣并上床睡觉。

I woke with a headache and the noise of the bands going by in the street. —
我睁开眼睛时头疼欲裂,耳边传来街上乐队的嘈杂声。 —

I remembered I had promised to take Bill’s friend Edna to see the bulls go through the street and into the ring. —
我记起我答应要带比尔的朋友艾德娜去看公牛穿过街道进入斗牛场。 —

I dressed and went down-stairs and out into the cold early morning. —
我穿好衣服,走下楼,走出清晨的寒冷。 —

People were crossing the square, hurrying toward the bull-ring. —
人们穿过广场,匆匆赶往斗牛场。 —

Across the square were the two lines of men in front of the ticket-booths. —
广场对面是两排队伍,前面是售票亭。 —

They were still waiting for the tickets to go on sale at seven o’clock. —
他们依然在等待七点开始售票。 —

I hurried across the street to the café. —
我快步穿过街道,来到咖啡馆。 —

The waiter told me that my friends had been there and gone.
侍者告诉我,我的朋友们已经来过又离开了。

   "How many were they?"

“他们几个人?”

   "Two gentlemen and a lady."

“两位先生和一位女士。”

That was all right. Bill and Mike were with Edna. She had been afraid last night they would pass out. —
那就好。比尔和迈克和艾德娜在一起。昨晚她担心他们会喝得晕头转向。 —

That was why I was to be sure to take her. —
所以我要确保带她来。 —

I drank the coffee and hurried with the other people toward the bull-ring. I was not groggy now. —
我喝完咖啡,跟着其他人匆匆赶往斗牛场。现在我并不昏昏沉沉。 —

There was only a bad headache. Everything looked sharp and clear, and the town smelt of the early morning.
仅仅头痛。一切看起来清晰明了,整个城镇洋溢着清晨的气息。

The stretch of ground from the edge of the town to the bull-ring was muddy. —
从镇边到斗牛场的地面泥泞不堪。 —

There was a crowd all along the fence that led to the ring, and the outside balconies and the top of the bull-ring were solid with people. —
那坐落在通往斗牛场的围栏旁挤满了人群,外面的阳台和斗牛场的顶部也挤满了人。 —

I heard the rocket and I knew I could not get into the ring in time to see the bulls come in, so I shoved through the crowd to the fence. —
我听到了烟火声,知道我没有时间进入斗牛场看牛进场,于是我挤过人群来到了围栏边。 —

I was pushed close against the planks of the fence. —
我被挤得紧贴在围栏的木板上。 —

Between the two fences of the runway the police were clearing the crowd along. —
在跑道的两侧围栏之间,警察正在疏散人群。 —

They walked or trotted on into the bull-ring. Then people commenced to come running. —
牛们行进或奔跑着进入了斗牛场。然后人们开始跑起来。 —

A drunk slipped and fell. Two policemen grabbed him and rushed him over to the fence. —
一个喝醉酒的人滑倒了。两名警察抓住他,急忙将他扯到围栏边。 —

The crowd were running fast now. There was a great shout from the crowd, and putting my head through between the boards I saw the bulls just coming out of the street into the long running pen. —
人群现在跑得更快了。人群中响起了一片欢呼声,我把头伸进木板间,看见牛刚从街道走出来进入漫长的奔跑通道。 —

They were going fast and gaining on the crowd. —
它们跑得飞快,逐渐追上了人群。 —

Just then another drunk started out from the fence with a blouse in his hands. —
就在那时,另一个喝醉了的人端着上衣从围栏处走了出来。 —

He wanted to do capework with the bulls. —
他想和牛一起表演。 —

The two policemen tore out, collared him, one hit him with a club, and they dragged him against the fence and stood flattened out against the fence as the last of the crowd and the bulls went by. —
两名警察冲了出去,抓住了他,其中一名用警棍打了他,然后他们将他拖到围栏边并靠在围栏上,当最后一批人群和牛经过时,他们被压在围栏边。 —

There were so many people running ahead of the bulls that the mass thickened and slowed up going through the gate into the ring, and as the bulls passed, galloping together, heavy, muddy-sided, horns swinging, one shot ahead, caught a man in the running crowd in the back and lifted him in the air. —
在牛通过时,奔跑在牛前面的人挤得太多了,使整个人群在通往斗牛场的大门处变得拥挤缓慢,当牛们一起奔跑时,重重的、沾满泥土的身躯,角摆动,一头向前冲,撞到了奔跑的人群中的一个男人的背上,将他抬起。 —

Both the man’s arms were by his sides, his head went back as the horn went in, and the bull lifted him and then dropped him. —
那个男人双臂贴在身体两侧,头朝后,角刺入他的身体,牛将他抬起,然后放下。 —

The bull picked another man running in front, but the man disappeared into the crowd, and the crowd was through the gate and into the ring with the bulls behind them. —
牛又抓住了另一个在前面奔跑的男人,但那个男人消失在人群中,人群冲进了大门,进入了斗牛场,牛们跟在他们后面。 —

The red door of the ring went shut, the crowd on the outside balconies of the bull-ring were pressing through to the inside, there was a shout, then another shout.
斗牛场的红色大门关上了,斗牛场外的阳台上的人群挤向内部,传来一声喊叫,接着又一声喊叫。

The man who had been gored lay face down in the trampled mud. —
被公牛顶伤的男人面朝下倒在被践踏的泥泞中。 —

People climbed over the fence, and I could not see the man because the crowd was so thick around him. —
人们爬过栅栏,我无法看见那个人,因为人群围得太密集。 —

From inside the ring came the shouts. Each shout meant a charge by some bull into the crowd. —
角斗场里传来一阵阵喊声。每一声喊声都意味着一头公牛向人群冲过去。 —

You could tell by the degree of intensity in the shout how bad a thing it was that was happening. —
你可以从喊声的强烈程度来判断发生的事情有多糟糕。 —

Then the rocket went up that meant the steers had gotten the bulls out of the ring and into the corrals. —
然后升起的火箭意味着小牛已经把公牛赶出环场,送进了畜栏。 —

I left the fence and started back toward the town.
我离开栅栏,开始朝镇里走去。

Back in the town I went to the café to have a second coffee and some buttered toast. —
回到镇上,我去咖啡馆再喝一杯咖啡,再吃点涂了黄油的烤面包。 —

The waiters were sweeping out the café and mopping off the tables. —
服务员们正在清扫咖啡馆,擦拭桌子。 —

One came over and took my order.
其中一位过来接我的订单。

   "Anything happen at the encierro?"

“在encierro有什么事发生吗?”

   "I didn't see it all. One man was badly cogido."

“我没看完。有一个人被公牛重伤。”

   "Where?"

“在哪里?”

“Here.” I put one hand on the small of my back and the other on my chest, where it looked as though the horn must have come through. —
“在这。”我一只手放在脊背上,另一只手放在胸口,看上去角一定是从那里刺进来的。 —

The waiter nodded his head and swept the crumbs from the table with his cloth.
服务员点点头,用抹布擦去桌子上的碎屑。

   "Badly cogido," he said. "All for sport. All for pleasure."

“严重受伤了,”他说。“都是为了一时的娱乐。都是为了快感。”

He went away and came back with the long-handled coffee and milk pots. —
他走开了,拿着长柄咖啡壶和牛奶壶回来了。 —

He poured the milk and coffee. It came out of the long spouts in two streams into the big cup. —
他倒牛奶和咖啡。它们从长嘴注射口中流出,分别注入大杯里。 —

The waiter nodded his head.
侍者点了点头。

“Badly cogido through the back,” he said. —
“后背受了重伤,”他说。 —

He put the pots down on the table and sat down in the chair at the table. —
他把壶放在桌子上,坐在桌子旁的椅子上。 —

“A big horn wound. All for fun. Just for fun. —
“一只大牛角伤口。全都是为了好玩。纯粹为了好玩。 —

What do you think of that?”
你觉得怎么样呢?”

   "I don't know."

“我不知道。”

   "That's it. All for fun. Fun, you understand."

“就是这样。全都是为了好玩。好玩,你懂吗。”

   "You're not an aficionado?"

“你不喜欢斗牛吗?”

“Me? What are bulls? Animals. Brute animals.” —
“我?牛算个什么东西?动物。野兽而已。” —

He stood up and put his hand on the small of his back. “Right through the back. —
他站起来,把手放在腰的小部分。”被扎中背部了。 —

A cornada right through the back. For fun–you understand.”
一次牛角刺伤直刺背部。为了好玩——你听明白了吗。”

He shook his head and walked away, carrying the coffee-pots. —
他摇了摇头,带着咖啡壶走开了。 —

Two men were going by in the street. The waiter shouted to them. —
街上有两个人走过。侍者冲他们喊道。 —

They were grave-looking. One shook his head. —
他们的表情凝重。其中一人摇了摇头。 —

“Muerto!” he called.
“死了!”他喊道。

The waiter nodded his head. The two men went on. —
服务生点了点头。两个人走了。 —

They were on some errand. The waiter came over to my table.
他们有什么事情要办。服务生走到我桌前。

“You hear? Muerto. Dead. He’s dead. —
“你听说了吗?死了。他死了。 —

With a horn through him. All for morning fun. Es muy flamenco.”
被一个公牛角刺死的。一切都是为了早间的娱乐。这太疯狂了。”

   "It's bad."

“太糟糕了。”

   "Not for me," the waiter said. "No fun in that for me."

“对我来说不好玩,”服务生说道。“我对此没有兴趣。”

Later in the day we learned that the man who was killed was named Vicente Girones, and came from near Tafalla. —
后来在当天我们得知那个被杀的人叫做维森特·吉罗内斯,来自塔法利附近。 —

The next day in the paper we read that he was twenty-eight years old, and had a farm, a wife, and two children. —
第二天的报纸上写着他28岁,有一座农场,一个妻子和两个孩子。 —

He had continued to come to the fiesta each year after he was married. —
自结婚后,他每年都会继续参加节日庆典。 —

The next day his wife came in from Tafalla to be with the body, and the day after there was a service in the chapel of San Fermin, and the coffin was carried to the railway-station by members of the dancing and drinking society of Tafalla. —
第二天,他的妻子从塔法利赶来守灵,第三天在圣费尔明教堂举行了一场弥撒,棺材由塔法利的舞蹈和饮酒社的成员抬到了火车站。 —

The drums marched ahead, and there was music on the fifes, and behind the men who carried the coffin walked the wife and two children. —
鼓乐在前面奏起,有吹号的乐曲响起,在抬棺材的人后面走着妻子和两个孩子。 —

… Behind them marched all the members of the dancing and drinking societies of Pamplona, Estella, Tafalla, and Sanguesa who could stay over for the funeral. —
… 在他们身后,跟随着保罗纳、埃斯特拉、塔法利和桑圭萨的舞蹈和饮酒社的所有成员,他们能留下来参加葬礼。 —

The coffin was loaded into the baggage-car of the train, and the widow and the two children rode, sitting, all three together, in an open third-class railwaycarriage. —
棺材被装上火车的行李车厢,寡妇和两个孩子坐在一起的一个开放的三等铁路车厢里。 —

The train started with a jerk, and then ran smoothly, going down grade around the edge of the plateau and out into the fields of grain that blew in the wind on the plain on the way to Tafalla.
列车突然发动,然后平稳地行驶,沿着台地边缘顺坡而下,进入吹着风的麦田,一路前往塔法利亚。

The bull who killed Vicente Girones was named Bocanegra, was Number 118 of the bull-breeding establishment of Sanchez Taberno, and was killed by Pedro Romero as the third bull of that same afternoon. —
杀死维森特·希龙内斯的公牛名叫博卡内格拉,来自桑切斯·塔贝尔诺的养牛场,是那个下午的第三头被佩德罗·罗梅罗杀死的公牛。 —

His ear was cut by popular acclamation and given to Pedro Romero, who, in turn, gave it to Brett, who wrapped it in a handkerchief belonging to myself, and left both ear and handkerchief, along with a number of Muratti cigarette-stubs, shoved far back in the drawer of the bed-table that stood beside her bed in the Hotel Montoya, in Pamplona.
他的耳朵经过民众的一致推举被割下,并送给了佩德罗·罗梅罗,之后他又送给了布雷特,布雷特用我的手帕包裹起来,然后把耳朵和手帕,以及一些穆拉蒂香烟的烟蒂一起塞进了帕姆普洛纳的蒙托亚酒店她床边的桌子抽屉深处。

Back in the hotel, the night watchman was sitting on a bench inside the door. —
回到旅馆,夜班看门人坐在门口的长椅上。 —

He had been there all night and was very sleepy. He stood up as I came in. —
他整晚都在那里,非常困倦。当我走进去的时候,他站起来了。 —

Three of the waitresses came in at the same time. —
三名女侍同时进来。 —

They had been to the morning show at the bull-ring. They went upstairs laughing. —
她们刚刚从斗牛场的早场表演回来,笑着上了楼。 —

I followed them up-stairs and went into my room. I took off my shoes and lay down on the bed. —
我跟着她们上了楼,进入我的房间。脱掉鞋子躺在床上。 —

The window was open onto the balcony and the sunlight was bright in the room. —
窗户敞开着通向阳台,阳光明亮地照在房间里。 —

I did not feel sleepy. It must have been half past three o’clock when I had gone to bed and the bands had waked me at six. —
我不困。我大概是三点半上床的,而吹奏的乐队在六点叫醒了我。 —

My jaw was sore on both sides. I felt it with my thumb and fingers. —
我的下巴两侧都很疼。我用拇指和手指摸了一下。 —

That damn Cohn. He should have hit somebody the first time he was insulted, and then gone away. —
天啊,科恩。第一次被侮辱的时候他就应该打人,然后离开。 —

He was so sure that Brett loved him. He was going to stay, and true love would conquer all. —
他是如此确信布雷特爱他。他打算留下来,真爱将战胜一切。 —

Some one knocked on the door.
有人敲门。

   "Come in."

“请进。”

   It was Bill and Mike. They sat down on the bed.

这是比尔和迈克。他们坐在床上。

   "Some encierro," Bill said. "Some encierro."

“有点encierro,” 比尔说。 “有点encierro.”

   "I say, weren't you there?" Mike asked. "Ring for some beer, Bill."

“我说,你不是在那里吗?” 迈克问道。 “给比尔来点啤酒。”

“What a morning!” Bill said. He mopped off his face. “My God! —
“多么美好的早晨!” 比尔说。 他擦了擦脸。 “我的天啊! —

what a morning! And here’s old Jake. Old Jake, the human punching-bag.”
多美好的早晨! 还有老杰克。老杰克,那个人类沙袋。”

   "What happened inside?"

“里面发生了什么事?”

   "Good God!" Bill said, "what happened, Mike?"

“天啊!” 比尔说,”发生了什么事,迈克?”

“There were these bulls coming in,” Mike said. —
“那儿有这些公牛进来,” 迈克说。 —

“Just ahead of them was the crowd, and some chap tripped and brought the whole lot of them down.”
“就在他们前面是人群,然后有个家伙绊倒了,把他们都绊倒了。”

   "And the bulls all came in right over them," Bill said.

“公牛都跟着进来,” 比尔说。

   "I heard them yell."

“我听见他们大喊大叫。

   "That was Edna," Bill said.

“那是艾德娜,” 比尔说。

   "Chaps kept coming out and waving their shirts."

“家伙们一直跑出来挥舞他们的衬衫.”

   "One bull went along the barrera and hooked everybody over."

“有头公牛沿着栏杆走,把每个人都勾倒了。”

   "They took about twenty chaps to the infirmary," Mike said.

“他们把大约二十个家伙送到了医务室,” 迈克说。

   "What a morning!" Bill said. "The damn police kept arresting chaps that wanted to go and commit suicide with the bulls."

“早上好!”比尔说。 “可恶的警察一直在逮捕想去跟公牛搏斗自杀的家伙们。”

   "The steers took them in, in the end," Mike said.

“最后公牛还是把他们接纳了,”迈克说。

   "It took about an hour."

“花了大约一个小时。”

   "It was really about a quarter of an houi" Mike objected.

“其实只是四分之一小时而已,”迈克提出异议。

   "Oh, go to hell," Bill said. "You've been in the war. It was two hours and a half for me."

“去你的吧,”比尔说。 “你参加过战争。对我来说那是两个半小时。”

   "Where's that beer?" Mike asked.

“啤酒在哪里?”迈克问。

   "What did you do with the lovely Edna?"

“你把可爱的爱德娜怎么办了?”

   "We took her home just now. She's gone to bed."

“我们刚才把她送回家了。她去睡觉了。”

   "How did she like it?"

“她喜欢吗?”

   "Fine. We told her it was just like that every morning."

“挺好的。我们告诉她每天早上都是这样的。”

   "She was impressed," Mike said.

“她很感动,”迈克说。

   "She wanted us to go down in the ring, too," Bill said. "She likes action."

“她还想让我们下去搏斗,”比尔说。 “她喜欢刺激。”

   "I said it wouldn't be fair to my creditors," Mike said.

“我说我有债权人,这样做不公平,”迈克说。

   "What a morning," Bill said. "And what a night!"

“真是不可思议的一天,”比尔说。 “还有一个不可思议的夜晚!”

   "How's your jaw, Jake?" Mike asked.

“杰克,你的下巴怎么样?”迈克问。

   "Sore," I said.

“我好疼,”我说道。

   Bill laughed.

比尔笑了。

   "Why didn't you hit him with a chair?"

“你为什么不用椅子敲他呢?”

“You can talk,” Mike said. “He’d have knocked you out, too. I never saw him hit me. —
“你别说话,”迈克说。“他也会打晕你的。我从没看到他打我。 —

I rather think I saw him just before, and then quite suddenly I was sitting down in the street, and Jake was lying under a table.”
我觉得我之前可能看到他了,然后突然间我就坐在了街上,杰克躺在桌子底下。”

   "Where did he go afterward?" I asked.

“他打我之后去哪了?”我问比尔。

   "Here she is," Mike said. "Here's the beautiful lady with the beer."

“她来了,”迈克说。“美丽女士带啤酒来了。”

   The chambermaid put the tray with the beer-bottles and glasses down on the table.

服务生把托盘放在桌子上,上面摆着啤酒瓶和玻璃杯。

   "Now bring up three more bottles," Mike said.

“再拿三瓶上来,”迈克说。

   "Where did Cohn go after he hit me?" I asked Bill.

“他打我之后哪去了?”我问比尔。

“Don’t you know about that?” Mike was opening a beer-bottle. —
“你不知道吗?”迈克正在打开一瓶啤酒。 —

He poured the beer into one of the glasses, holding the glass close to the bottle.
他把啤酒倒进其中一个玻璃杯里,将杯子靠近瓶子。

   "Really?" Bill asked.

“真的?”比尔问道。

   "Why he went in and found Brett and the bull-fighter chap in the bull-fighter's room, and then he massacred the poor, bloody bull-fighter."

“他进去找到了布雷特和斗牛士在斗牛士的房间里,然后他杀死了那可怜的,血淋淋的斗牛士。”

   "No."

“不可能。”

   "Yes."

“是的。”

   "What a night!" Bill said.

“多么美好的夜晚啊!”比尔说。

“He nearly killed the poor, bloody bull-fighter. Then Cohn wanted to take Brett away. —
“他几乎杀了那可怜的血腥斗牛士。然后科恩想带走布莱特。 —

Wanted to make an honest woman of her, I imagine. Damned touching scene.”
想让她成为一个诚实的女人,我想。该死的感人场面。”

   He took a long drink of the beer.

他喝了一大口啤酒。

   "He is an ass."

“他是一个蠢货。”

   "What happened?"

“发生了什么?”

   "Brett gave him what for. She told him off. I think she was rather good."

“布莱特给了他当头棒喝。她训斥了他。我觉得她做得相当好。”

   "I'll bet she was," Bill said.

“我敢打赌是这样的,”比尔说。

“Then Cohn broke down and cried, and wanted to shake hands with the bull-fighter fellow. —
“然后科恩崩溃哭泣,想要和那位斗牛士握手。 —

He wanted to shake hands with Brett, too.”
他也想要和布莱特握手。”

   "I know. He shook hands with me."

“我知道。他和我握了手。”

“Did he? Well, they weren’t having any of it. The bull-fighter fellow was rather good. —
“他和你握手了?唔,他们可不答应。那位斗牛士做得相当好。 —

He didn’t say much, but he kept getting up and getting knocked down again. —
他没有说什么,但他一直起身又被打倒。 —

Cohn couldn’t knock him out. It must have been damned funny.”
科恩不能打倒他。那肯定很滑稽。”

   "Where did you hear all this?"

“你从哪里听说这一切的?”

   "Brett. I saw her this morning."

“是Brett告诉我的,我今天早上见到她了。”

   "What happened finally?"

“最后发生了什么?”

“It seems the bull-fighter fellow was sitting on the bed. —
“看起来那个斗牛士坐在床上。” —

He’d been knocked down about fifteen times, and he wanted to fight some more. —
“他被击倒大约十五次,但他还想要继续打斗。” —

Brett held him and wouldn’t let him get up. —
“Brett抓住了他,不让他起来。” —

He was weak, but Brett couldn’t hold him, and he got up. Then Cohn said he wouldn’t hit him again. —
“他已经很虚弱了,但Brett还是抓不住他,他站了起来。然后科恩说他不会再打他了。” —

Said he couldn’t do it. Said it would be wicked. —
“说他不能这样做。说这样做会很邪恶。” —

So the bull-fighter chap sort of rather staggered over to him. —
“那么斗牛士有些摇摇晃晃地走到他跟前。” —

Cohn went back against the wall.
“科恩退到了墙边。”

   "'So you won't hit me?'

“‘所以你不会打我?’”

   "'No,' said Cohn. 'I'd be ashamed to.'

“‘不会,’科恩说,‘我会为此感到羞愧。’”

“So the bull-fighter fellow hit him just as hard as he could in the face, and then sat down on the floor. —
“于是斗牛士用尽全力打了他一拳在脸上,然后坐在地板上。” —

He couldn’t get up, Brett said. Cohn wanted to pick him up and carry him to the bed. —
“他站不起来,Brett说。科恩想要把他扶起然后搀扶到床上。” —

He said if Cohn helped him he’d kill him, and he’d kill him anyway this morning if Cohn wasn’t out of town. —
“他说如果科恩帮他一把,他早晨就杀了他,并且他仍然会在当天早晨杀死他,如果科恩不离开这个城镇。” —

Cohn was crying, and Brett had told him off, and he wanted to shake hands. —
Cohn在哭泣,Brett训斥了他,而他想要握手。 —

I’ve told you that before.”
“我之前跟你说过的。”

   "Tell the rest," Bill said.

“告诉接下来的情节吧,“比尔说。

“It seems the bull-fighter chap was sitting on the floor. —
“听起来那位斗牛士正坐在地板上。 —

He was waiting to get strength enough to get up and hit Cohn again. —
他在等待重新获得足够的力气站起来再打Cohn一拳。 —

Brett wasn’t having any shaking hands, and Cohn was crying and telling her how much he loved her, and she was telling him not to be a ruddy ass. —
Brett不愿意握手,Cohn在哭泣,告诉她他有多么爱她,而她则告诉他不要那么蠢。 —

Then Cohn leaned down to shake hands with the bull-fighter fellow. No hard feelings, you know. —
然后Cohn俯下身去跟那位斗牛士握手。彼此没有怨恨,你懂得。 —

All for forgiveness. And the bull-fighter chap hit him in the face again.”
一切为了宽恕。然后那位斗牛士又打了他一拳脸。

   "That's quite a kid," Bill said.

“这是个了不起的小子,” 比尔说。

   "He ruined Cohn," Mike said. "You know I don't think Cohn will ever want to knock people about again."

“他毁了Cohn,” 迈克说。 “我觉得Cohn可能再也不会想去打人了。”

   "When did you see Brett?"

“你什么时候见到Brett的?”

   "This morning. She came in to get some things. She's looking after this Romero lad."

“今天早上。她过来拿一些东西。她在照顾这个Romero小伙子。”

   He poured out another bottle of beer.

他倒了另一瓶啤酒。

“Brett’s rather cut up. But she loves looking after people. —
“Brett有些伤心。但她喜欢照顾人。 —

That’s how we came to go off together. She was looking after me.”
这也是我们走到一起的原因。她在照顾我。”

   "I know," I said.

“我知道,”我说。

“I’m rather drunk,” Mike said. “I think I’ll stay rather drunk. —
“我有点喝醉了,”麦克说。“我觉得我会一直保持这种状态。 —

This is all awfully amusing, but it’s not too pleasant. It’s not too pleasant for me.”
这一切都很有趣,但并不太愉快。对我来说并不太愉快。”

   He drank off the beer.

他喝完了啤酒。

“I gave Brett what for, you know. I said if she would go about with Jews and bull-fighters and such people, she must expect trouble.” —
“我给了布雷特一点颜色,你知道。我说如果她要和犹太人和斗牛士这样的人一起出去,她就必须准备好麻烦了。” —

He leaned forward. “I say, Jake, do you mind if I drink that bottle of yours? —
他向前倾身。“杰克,你介意我喝了你的那瓶么? —

She’ll bring you another one.”
她会给你拿来另一瓶。”

   "Please," I said. "I wasn't drinking it, anyway."

“请,”我说。“反正我也不打算喝。”

Mike started to open the bottle. “Would you mind opening it?” —
麦克开始打开瓶子。“你介意我打开吗?” —

I pressed up the wire fastener and poured it for him.
我按下了细线扣,为他倒了酒。

“You know,” Mike went on, “Brett was rather good. She’s always rather good. —
“你知道,”麦克继续说,“布雷特还是相当出色的。她总是相当出色。 —

I gave her a fearful hiding about Jews and bullfighters, and all those sort of people, and do you know what she said: —
我就狠批了她关于犹太人和斗牛士之类人的行为,你知道她说了什么: —

‘Yes. I’ve had such a hell of a happy life with the British aristocracy!’
‘是的,我和英国贵族在一起过非常快乐的生活呢!’

   He took a drink.

他喝了一口。

“That was rather good. Ashley, chap she got the title from, was a sailor, you know. —
“这真是相当出色。她那个头衔是从那个亚瑟来的,你知道亚瑟是位海员。 —

Ninth baronet. When he came home he wouldn’t sleep in a bed. Always made Brett sleep on the floor. —
第九代男爵。当他回家时,他不愿睡在床上。总是让布雷特在地板上睡觉。 —

Finally, when he got really bad, he used to tell her he’d kill her. —
最后,当他变得很糟糕时,他会告诉她他会杀了她。 —

Always slept with a loaded service revolver. —
总是带着已装好子弹的军用左轮手枪入睡。 —

Brett used to take the shells out when he’d gone to sleep. —
布雷特在他入睡后会取出子弹。 —

She hasn’t had an absolutely happy life, Brett. Damned shame, too. —
布雷特过去的生活并不完全幸福。太可惜了。 —

She enjoys things so.”
她享受生活中的事物。

   He stood up. His hand was shaky.

他站起来。他的手在颤抖。

   "I'm going in the room. Try and get a little sleep."

“我要进房间了。尽量睡一会儿。”

   He smiled.

他微笑了。

“We go too long without sleep in these fiestas. —
“我们在这些庆典中睡眠时间太长了。 —

I’m going to start now and get plenty of sleep. —
我现在要开始睡眠。不睡觉真是件糟糕的事。会让你极度紧张。” —

Damn bad thing not to get sleep. Makes you frightfully nervy.”
“我们中午在Iru?a见面。”比尔说。

   "We'll see you at noon at the Iru?a," Bill said.

迈克走出房门。我们听见他在隔壁房间。

   Mike went out the door. We heard him in the next room.

他按铃,女招待进来敲门。

   He rang the bell and the chambermaid came and knocked at the door.

他敲了铃,女仆进来敲门。

   "Bring up half a dozen bottles of beer and a bottle of Fundador," Mike told her.

“把六瓶啤酒和一瓶Fundador带过来,” 迈克告诉她。

   "Si, Se?orito."

“是的,先生.”

   "I'm going to bed," Bill said. "Poor old Mike. I had a hell of a row about him last night."

“我要去睡觉了,” 比尔说道。”可怜的老迈克。昨晚我跟他吵了一架。”

   "Where? At that Milano place?"

“在哪里?在那个米兰餐厅?”

“Yes. There was a fellow there that had helped pay Brett and Mike out of Cannes, once. —
“是的。有个人在那里帮助过Brett和Mike从戛纳脱身过。” —

He was damned nasty.”
“他真是个可恶的家伙。”

   "I know the story."

“我知道那个故事。”

   "I didn't. Nobody ought to have a right to say things about Mike."

“我没说。没有人应该有权力说迈克的事情。”

   "That's what makes it bad."

“这就是问题所在。”

   "They oughtn't to have any right. I wish to hell they didn't have any right. I'm going to bed."

“他们不应该有任何权力。我真希望他们没有任何权力。我要去睡觉了。”

   "Was anybody killed in the ring?"

“拳击比赛中有人被打死吗?”

   "I don't think so. Just badly hurt."

“我不认为有。只是严重受伤了。”

   "A man was killed outside in the runway."

“有个人在跑道外被打死了。”

   "Was there?" said Bill.

“真的吗?”比尔说。