In the morning it was all over. The fiesta was finished. —
早晨一切结束了。节日结束了。 —

I woke about nine o’clock, had a bath, dressed, and went down-stairs. —
我在九点左右醒来,洗漱之后,穿好衣服,下楼去了。 —

The square was empty and there were no people on the streets. —
广场空无一人,街道上也没有人影。 —

A few children were picking up rocket-sticks in the square. —
几个孩子在广场上捡起火箭棍。 —

The cafés were just opening and the waiters were carrying Out the comfortable white wicker chairs and arranging them around the marble-topped tables in the shade of the arcade. —
咖啡馆刚开门,侍者们端着舒适的白色藤椅,把它们摆放在凉爽的拱廊下的大理石桌旁。 —

They were sweeping the streets and sprinkling them with a hose.
他们在扫街,用水管洒水。

I sat in one of the wicker chairs and leaned back comfortably. —
我坐在一把藤椅上,舒服地往后倚。 —

The waiter was in no hurry to come. The white-paper announcements of the unloading of the bulls and the big schedules of special trains were still up on the pillars of the arcade. —
侍者没有着急过来。关于放牛和特别火车的计划的白纸告示板仍悬挂在拱廊的柱子上。 —

A waiter wearing a blue apron came out with a bucket of water and a cloth, and commenced to tear down the notices, pulling the paper off in strips and washing and rubbing away the paper that stuck to the stone. —
穿着蓝围裙的侍者端着一桶水和一块布出来,开始撕下通知,把纸撕成条状,并清洗和擦去粘在石头上的纸。 —

The fiesta was over.
节日结束了。

I drank a coffee and after a while Bill came over. —
我喝了一杯咖啡,没多久Bill过来了。 —

I watched him come walking across the square. —
我看着他走过广场。 —

He sat down at the table and ordered a coffee.
他坐在桌子旁,点了一杯咖啡。

   "Well," he said, "it's all over."

“嗯,”他说,“一切都结束了。”

   "Yes," I said. "When do you go?"

“是的,”我说,“你什么时候走?”

   "I don't know. We better get a car, I think. Aren't you going back to Paris?"

“我不知道。我想我们最好租辆车。你不是要回巴黎吗?”

   "No. I can stay away another week. I think I'll go to San Sebastian."

“不是。我可以再呆一个星期。我想去圣塞巴斯蒂安。”

   "I want to get back."

“我想回去。”

   "What's Mike going to do?"

“麦克要干什么?”

   "He's going to Saint Jean de Luz."

“他要去圣让德吕兹。”

   "Let's get a car and all go as far as Bayonne. You can get the train up from there to-night."

“我们租辆车,一起去到巴约尼。你可以从那里坐火车回去。”

   "Good. Let's go after lunch."

“好的。午饭后我们就走。”

   "All right. I'll get the car."

“好的。我去准备车。”

We had lunch and paid the bill. Montoya did not come near us. —
我们吃完午饭付了账。蒙托亚没靠近我们。 —

One of the maids brought the bill. The car was outside. —
一个女仆拿来账单。车就停在外面。 —

The chauffeur piled and strapped the bags on top of the car and put them in beside him in the front seat and we got in. —
司机把行李堆叠绑好放在车顶,放在副驾驶座旁边,然后我们上车。 —

The car went out of the square, along through the side streets, out under the trees and down the hill and away from Pamplona. —
车驶出广场,穿过小巷,从树荫下经过,下坡,离开潘普洛纳。 —

It did not seem like a very long ride. Mike had a bottle of Fundador. —
车程并不算很长。迈克拿出一瓶Fundador。 —

I only took a couple of drinks. We came over the mountains and out of Spain and down the white roads and through the overfoliaged, wet, green, Basque country, and finally into Bayonne. —
我只喝了几口。我们翻越山脉,离开了西班牙,沿着白色的道路行驶,穿过浓密、潮湿、绿意盎然的巴斯克乡村,最后到了巴约尼。 —

We left Bill’s baggage at the station, and he bought a ticket to Paris. His train left at seven-ten. —
我们把比尔的行李寄存在火车站,他买了去巴黎的票。他的火车在七点十分开。 —

We came out of the station. The car was standing out in front.
我们走出了车站。汽车停在前面。

   "What shall we do about the car?" Bill asked.

“车该怎么办?”比尔问道。

   "Oh, bother the car," Mike said. "Let's just keep the car with us."

“哦,让车自己呆着吧,”迈克说。“我们就把车留着。”

   "All right," Bill said. "Where shall we go?"

“好的,”比尔说。“我们去哪儿?”

   "Let's go to Biarritz and have a drink."

“我们去比亚里茨喝一杯吧。”

   "Old Mike the spender," Bill said.

“花钱大手大脚的老迈克,”比尔说。

We drove in to Biarritz and left the car outside a very Ritz place. —
我们驾车到达比亚里茨,将车停在一家非常豪华的地方。 —

We went into the bar and sat on high stools and drank a whiskey and soda.
我们走进酒吧,坐在高脚凳上,喝着威士忌苏打。

   "That drink's mine," Mike said.

“那杯是我的,”迈克说。

   "Let's roll for it."

“我们来掷骰子吧。”

So we rolled poker dice out of a deep leather dice-cup. Bill was out first roll. —
于是我们从一个深皮革杯子里掷出了扑克骰子。比尔第一轮就出局了。 —

Mike lost to me and handed the bartender a hundred-franc note. —
迈克没我运气差,递给了酒保一张一百法郎的钞票。 —

The whiskeys were twelve francs apiece. We had another round and Mike lost again. —
威士忌每杯十二法郎。我们又来了一轮,迈克又输了。 —

Each time he gave the bartender a good tip. —
每次他都给了酒保一个不错的小费。 —

In a room off the bar there was a good jazz band playing. It was a pleasant bar. —
酒吧里有一间房间,有一支优秀的爵士乐队在演奏。这是一个愉快的酒吧。 —

We had another round. I went out on the first roll with four kings. Bill and Mike rolled. —
我们又来了一轮。我第一次摇的时候拿到了四个国王。比尔和迈克接着摇。 —

Mike won the first roll with four jacks. Bill won the second. —
迈克在第一轮获胜,他摇到了四个杰克。比尔在第二轮获胜。 —

On the final roll Mike had three kings and let them stay. —
最后一轮,迈克手里有三个国王,他选择保留。 —

He handed the dice-cup to Bill. Bill rattled them and rolled, and there were three kings, an ace. and a queen.
他把骰子杯递给了比尔。比尔摇动了骰子,结果出现了三个国王、一个A和一个女王。

   "It's yours, Mike," Bill said. "Old Mike, the gambler."

“你赢了,迈克。”比尔说。“老迈克,这个赌徒。”

   "I'm so sorry," Mike said. "I can't get it."

“真对不起。”迈克说。“我摇不到。”

   "What's the matter?"

“怎么了?”

   "I've no money," Mike said. "I'm stony. I've just twenty francs. Here, take twenty francs."

迈克说:“我没钱。我身无分文。我只有二十法郎。拿去,拿二十法郎。”

   Bill's face sort of changed.

比尔的脸色有些变了。

   "I just had enough to pay Montoya. Damned lucky to have it, too."

“我刚好有足够的钱支付蒙托亚。还真是幸运。”

   "I'll cash you a check," Bill said.

比尔说:“我可以给你开张支票。”

   "That's damned nice of you, but you see I can't write checks."

“你这样真是太好了,但你知道我不能写支票。”

   "What are you going to do for money?"

“你打算怎么弄钱呢?”

“Oh, some will come through. I’ve two weeks allowance should be here. —
“哦,总会有点钱进来。我有两周的零花钱应该会到。” —

I can live on tick at this pub in Saint Jean.”
“我可以在圣让的这家酒吧赊账过日子。”

   "What do you want to do about the car?" Bill asked me. "Do you want to keep it on?"

比尔问我:“你想怎么处理这辆车?你打算继续留着吗?”

   "It doesn't make any difference. Seems sort of idiotic."

“无所谓。好像有点傻。”

   "Come on, let's have another drink," Mike said.

迈克说:“走,我们再来一杯酒。”

   "Fine. This one is on me," Bill said. "Has Brett any money?" He turned to Mike.

“好的。这杯我请客。”比尔说。“布莱特有钱吗?”他问迈克。

   "I shouldn't think so. She put up most of what I gave to old Montoya."

“我想不会。她大部分的钱都拿来付给蒙托亚了。”

   "She hasn't any money with her?" I asked.

“她身上有钱吗?”我问。

“I shouldn’t think so. She never has any money. —
“我想不会。她从来没带过钱。” —

She gets five hundred quid a year and pays three hundred and fifty of it in interest to Jews.”
她每年得到五百英镑,其中三百五十英镑是付给犹太人的利息。

   "I suppose they get it at the source," said Bill.

“我想他们是直接从源头得到的,”比尔说。

   "Quite. They're not really Jews. We just call them Jews. They're Scotsmen, I believe."

“是的。他们其实并不是犹太人。我们只是称他们为犹太人。我想他们是苏格兰人。”

   "Hasn't she any at all with her?" I asked.

“她身上一点都没有吗?”我问道。

   "I hardly think so. She gave it all to me when she left."

“我想是没有了。她离开时把所有钱都给了我。”

   "Well," Bill said, "we might as well have another drink."

“嗯,”比尔说,“我们不如再喝一杯。”

   "Damned good idea," Mike said. "One never gets anywhere by discussing finances."

“该死的好主意,”麦克说。“讨论财务一点用都没有。”

“No,” said Bill. Bill and I rolled for the next two rounds. —
“不,”比尔说。我和比尔掷了下两轮骰子。 —

Bill lost and paid. We went out to the car.
比尔输了,付了钱。我们走出去上车。

   "Anywhere you'd like to go, Mike?" Bill asked.

“麦克,你有想去的地方吗?”比尔问。

   "Let's take a drive. It might do my credit good. Let's drive about a little."

“我们去兜风吧。也许可以提高我的信用。我们开车四处转转。”

   "Fine. I'd like to see the coast. Let's drive down toward Hendaye."

“好极了。我想去看看海岸。我们向亨代的方向开。”

   "I haven't any credit along the coast."

“沿着海岸开,我没有信用。”

   "You can't ever tell," said Bill.

“谁也说不准,”比尔说。

We drove out along the coast road. —
我们沿着海岸路驶出去。 —

There was the green of the headlands, the white, red-roofed villas, patches of forest, and the ocean very blue with the tide out and the water curling far out along the beach. —
头陆的绿色,白色的,红顶别墅,森林的斑块,以及退潮时蔚蓝的海水,浪涌到沿海的远方。 —

We drove through Saint Jean de Luz and passed through villages farther down the coast. —
我们驱车穿过圣让德吕斯,经过沿海更远的村庄。 —

Back of the rolling country we were going through we saw the mountains we had come over from Pamplona. —
我们正在穿过的起伏地势背后,是我们从帕姆普洛纳穿过来的山脉。 —

The road went on ahead. Bill looked at his watch. It was time for us to go back. —
道路一直延伸向前。比尔看了看手表。我们该回去了。 —

He knocked on the glass and told the driver to turn around. —
他敲了敲玻璃,告诉司机掉头。 —

The driver backed the car out into the grass to turn it. —
司机把车倒出草地掉头。 —

In back of us were the woods, below a stretch of meadow, then the sea.
我们身后有树林,下面是一大片草地,再下面是海洋。

At the hotel where Mike was going to stay in Saint Jean we stopped the car and he got out. —
在圣让的酒店我们停下车,迈克下车了。 —

The chauffeur carried in his bags. Mike stood by the side of the car.
司机把他的行李搬了进去。迈克站在车边。

   "Good-bye, you chaps," Mike said. "It was a damned fine fiesta."

“再见,伙计们,” 迈克说。”这是一个非常棒的节日。”

   "So long, Mike," Bill said.

“再见,迈克,” 比尔说。

   "I'll see you around," I said.

“我会再见到你的,” 我说。

“Don’t worry about money,” Mike said. —
“别担心钱的事,” 迈克说。 —

“You can pay for the car, Jake, and I’ll send you my share.”
“你可以付车费,杰克,我会把我的那份寄给你.”

   "So long, Mike."

“再见,迈克.”

   "So long, you chaps. You've been damned nice."

“再见,伙计们。你们真是太好了。”

We all shook hands. We waved from the car to Mike. He stood in the road watching. —
我们都握手了。我们从车上向迈克挥手。他站在路中央看着。 —

We got to Bayonne just before the train left. —
我们在火车开走之前赶到了巴约讷。 —

A porter carried Bill’s bags in from the consigne. —
一个搬运工把比尔的行李从行李寄存点拿了出来。 —

I went as far as the inner gate to the tracks.
我走到了通往铁路轨道的内门口。

   "So long, fella," Bill said.

“再见,伙计,” 比尔说。

   "So long, kid!"

“再见,老兄!”

   "It was swell. I've had a swell time."

“太好了。我玩得太愉快了。”

   "Will you be in Paris?"

“你会去巴黎吗?”

   "No, I have to sail on the 17th. So long, fella!"

“不,我必须在17号航行。再见,伙计!”

   "So long, old kid!"

“再见,老兄!”

He went in through the gate to the train. The porter went ahead with the bags. —
他走进了通往火车的大门。搬运工提着行李走在前面。 —

I watched the train pull out. Bill was at one of the windows. —
我看着火车开走。比尔站在其中一个车窗旁。 —

The window passed, the rest of the train passed, and the tracks were empty. —
窗口消失了,其他车厢也消失了,轨道变得空无一物。 —

I went outside to the car.
我走到了车外。

“How much do we owe you?” I asked the driver. —
“我们欠你多少钱?”我问司机。 —

The price to Bayonne had been fixed at a hundred and fifty pesetas.
到巴约讷的价格已经确定为150比塞塔。

   "Two hundred pesetas."

“两百比塞塔。”

   "How much more will it be if you drive me to San Sebastian on your way back?"

“如果你顺便送我去圣塞巴斯蒂安,还要多少钱?”

   "Fifty pesetas."

“五十比塞塔。”

   "Don't kid me."

“别逗我了。”

   "Thirty-five pesetas."

“三十五比塞塔。”

   "It's not worth it," I said. "Drive me to the Hotel Panier Fleuri."

“不值得。”我说,“送我去潘尼尔花园酒店。”

At the hotel I paid the driver and gave him a tip. The car was powdered with dust. —
在酒店里我付了司机的钱并给了他小费。车上沾满了灰尘。 —

I rubbed the rod-case through the dust. It seemed the last thing that connected me with Spain and the fiesta. —
我用手在灰尘中摸了摸钓竿盒。它似乎是我与西班牙和斗牛节之间最后的联系。 —

The driver put the car in gear and went down the street. —
司机把车挂上了挡,驶向街道。 —

I watched it turn off to take the road to Spain. I went into the hotel and they gave me a room. —
我看着它转弯,驶向通往西班牙的路。我走进酒店,他们给了我一个房间。 —

It was the same room I had slept in when Bill and Cohn and I were in Bayonne. —
这是我和比尔、科恩在巴约讷时睡过的同一个房间。 —

That seemed a very long time ago. I washed, changed my shirt, and went out in the town.
那似乎是很久以前的事了。我洗漱了一下,换了衬衫,出去逛镇子。

At a newspaper kiosque I bought a copy of the New York Herald and sat in a café to read it. It felt strange to be in France again. —
在一个报刊亭,我买了一份纽约先驱报,在咖啡馆里读起来。再次来到法国感觉很奇怪。 —

There was a safe, suburban feeling. I wished I had gone up to Paris with Bill, except that Paris would have meant more fiesta-ing. —
这里有一种安全、郊区的感觉。我希望跟着比尔去巴黎,只是巴黎意味着更多的庆祝活动。 —

I was through with fiestas for a while. It would be quiet in San Sebastian. —
我暂时不想再参加庆祝活动了。圣塞巴斯蒂安会更加宁静。 —

The season does not open there until August. I could get a good hotel room and read and swim. —
那里的季节直到八月才开始。我可以找到一家好的旅馆,读书、游泳。 —

There was a fine beach there. There were wonderful trees along the promenade above the beach, and there were many children sent down with their nurses before the season opened. —
那里有一片美丽的海滩。沿着海滩上方的长廊有很多美丽的树木,还有很多孩子在季节开始之前与保姆一起下来。 —

In the evening there would be band concerts under the trees across from the Café Marinas. —
晚上会在大道对面的Marinas咖啡馆下的树林下举行乐队音乐会。 —

I could sit in the Marinas and listen.
我可以坐在Marinas里听音乐。

   "How does one eat inside?" I asked the waiter. Inside the café was a restaurant.

“在里面吃饭的方法是什么?”我问侍者。咖啡馆里有一家餐厅。

   "Well. Very well. One eats very well."

“好。很好。在这里吃饭非常好。”

   "Good."

“很好。”

I went in and ate dinner. It was a big meal for France but it seemed very carefully apportioned after Spain. I drank a bottle of wine for company. —
我进去吃了晚饭。在法国来说是一顿丰盛的饭菜,但在西班牙之后,它似乎非常精心分配。我喝了一瓶葡萄酒作伴。 —

It was a Chateau Margaux. It was pleasant to be drinking slowly and to be tasting the wine and to be drinking alone. —
这是夏多玛歌庄。慢慢地喝酒、品酒的感觉很愉快,而且独自喝酒也很美好。 —

A bottle of wine was good company. Afterward I had coffee. —
一瓶酒是很好的伴侣。之后我喝咖啡。 —

The waiter recommended a Basque liqueur called Izzarra. —
侍者推荐了一种叫做Izzarra的巴斯克利口酒。 —

He brought in the bottle and poured a liqueur-glass full. —
他拿来了酒瓶,倒了一小杯。 —

He said Izzarra was made of the flowers of the Pyrenees. The veritable flowers of the Pyrenees. —
他说Izzarra是由比利牛斯山脉的花制成的。真正的比利牛斯山脉的花。 —

It looked like hair-oil and smelled like Italian strega. —
它看起来像头发油,闻起来像意大利的strega。 —

I told him to take the flowers of the Pyrenees away and bring me a vieux marc. —
我告诉他把皮林尼斯山的花拿走,给我带来一瓶vieux marc。 —

The marc was good. I had a second marc after the coffee.
marc很不错。咖啡后我又来了一杯marc

The waiter seemed a little offended about the flowers of the Pyrenees, so I overtipped him. —
服务员似乎有点为皮林尼斯山的花而生气,所以我给了他超额小费。 —

That made him happy. It felt comfortable to be in a country where it is so simple to make people happy. —
这让他很开心。在一个简单就可以让人开心的国家感觉很舒服。 —

You can never tell whether a Spanish waiter will thank you. —
你永远无法判断西班牙服务员会不会感谢你。 —

Everything is on such a clear financial basis in France. It is the simplest country to live in. —
在法国一切都是建立在明确财务基础上的。这是最简单的生活国家。 —

No one makes things complicated by becoming your friend for any obscure reason. —
没有人会因为某种模糊的原因而成为你的朋友,使事情变得复杂。 —

If you want people to like you you have only to spend a little money. —
如果你想让人们喜欢你,你只需要花一点钱。 —

I spent a little money and the waiter liked me. He appreciated my valuable qualities. —
我花了一点钱,服务员喜欢我。他欣赏我的优秀品质。 —

He would be glad to see me back. I would dine there again some time and he would be glad to see me, and would want me at his table. —
他会很高兴再次见到我。有朝一日我会再次在那里用餐,他会很高兴见到我,并且想请我坐他的桌子。 —

It would be a sincere liking because it would have a sound basis. —
这将是一种真诚的喜欢,因为它有坚实的基础。 —

I was back in France.
我回到了法国。

Next morning I tipped every one a little too much at the hotel to make more friends, and left on the morning train for San Sebastian. —
第二天早晨在酒店我给每个人都略微多给一点小费以便交更多朋友,然后乘坐早班火车前往圣塞巴斯蒂安。 —

At the station I did not tip the porter more than I should because I did not think I would ever see him again. —
在车站我没有给行李员超过应该的小费,因为我认为我不会再见到他。 —

I only wanted a few good French friends in Bayonne to make me welcome in case I should come back there again. —
我只希望在巴约让一些好的法国朋友欢迎我,以防我未来再次回去时。 —

I knew that if they remembered me their friendship would be loyal.
我知道如果他们记得我,他们的友谊将是忠诚的。

At Irun we had to change trains and show passports. I hated to leave France. —
在伊鲁恩,我们不得不换乘火车并出示护照。我不想离开法国。 —

Life was so simple in France. I felt I was a fool to be going back into Spain. In Spain you could not tell about anything. —
在法国,生活是如此简单。我觉得自己是个傻瓜,居然要回到西班牙。在西班牙,什么都说不准。 —

I felt like a fool to be going back into it, but I stood in line with my passport, opened my bags for the customs, bought a ticket, went through a gate, climbed onto the train, and after forty minutes and eight tunnels I was at San Sebastian.
我觉得自己是个傻瓜,但我拿着护照排队,为海关打开行李,买了一张车票,通过了一个检票口,爬上火车,40分钟后经过八座隧道,我就到了圣塞巴斯蒂安。

Even on a hot day San Sebastian has a certain early-morning quality. —
就算是在炎热的一天,圣塞巴斯蒂安也有一种清晨的质感。 —

The trees seem as though their leaves were never quite dry. —
树叶似乎永远都不干燥。 —

The streets feel as though they had just been sprinkled. —
街道似乎刚被洒过水。 —

It is always cool and shady on certain streets on the hottest day. —
即使在最炎热的日子里也总是凉爽和阴凉的街道。 —

I went to a hotel in the town where I had stopped before, and they gave me a room with a balcony that opened out above the roofs of the town. —
我去了镇上一家我之前住过的酒店,他们给了我一个带阳台的房间,可以俯瞰镇上的屋顶。 —

There was a green mountainside beyond the roofs.
屋顶之外是一片绿色的山坡。

I unpacked my bags and stacked my books on the table beside the head of the bed, put out my shaving things, hung up some clothes in the big armoire, and made up a bundle for the laundry. —
我打开行李,把书堆放在床头旁的桌子上,摆出了剃须用具,把一些衣服挂在大衣柜里,准备了一袋要送洗的衣物。 —

Then I took a shower in the bathroom and went down to lunch. —
然后我在浴室冲了个凉水澡,下去吃午餐。 —

Spain had not changed to summer-time, so I was early. I set my watch again. —
西班牙没有转换夏令时,所以我来到圣塞巴斯蒂安后比原先提前了一个小时。我重新设置了我的手表。 —

I had recovered an hour by coming to San Sebastian.
我通过来到圣塞巴斯蒂安节约了一个小时。

As I went into the dining-room the concierge brought me a police bulletin to fill out. —
当我走进餐厅时,总台给我递过一个要填写的警方通报。 —

I signed it and asked him for two telegraph forms, and wrote a message to the Hotel Montoya, telling them to forward all mail and telegrams for me to this address. —
我签了字,然后向他要了两张电报单,给蒙托亚饭店写了一条信息,告诉他们将所有的信件和电报转发到这个地址。 —

I calculated how many days I would be in San Sebastian and then wrote out a wire to the office asking them to hold mail, but forward all wires for me to San Sebastian for six days. —
我计算了我在圣塞巴斯蒂安会呆几天,然后写了一封电报给办公室,让他们保留信件,但将所有的电报转发给我在圣塞巴斯蒂安的地址,持续六天。 —

Then I went in and had lunch.
然后我进去吃了午饭。

After lunch I went up to my room, read a while, and went to sleep. —
午饭后我回到房间,读了一会儿书,然后睡着了。 —

When I woke it was half past four. I found my swimming-suit, wrapped it with a comb in a towel, and went down-stairs and walked up the street to the Concha. —
当我醒来时已经是四点半了。我找到了泳衣,用毛巾裹好梳子,下楼走上街道,去了康查海滩。 —

The tide was about half-way out. The beach was smooth and firm, and the sand yellow. —
潮水处于中退状态。海滩平整坚实,沙子呈黄色。 —

I went into a bathing-cabin, undressed, put on my suit, and walked across the smooth sand to the sea. —
我进了一个更衣室,脱掉衣服,穿上泳衣,走过平滑的沙滩来到海边。 —

The sand was warm under bare feet. There were quite a few people in the water and on the beach. —
赤脚在温暖的沙子上。水里有相当多的人在水中或海滩上。 —

Out beyond where the headlands of the Concha almost met to form the harbor there was a white line of breakers and the open sea. —
在康查海湾的岬角几乎相连形成港口的远处,有一条白色的浪线和开阔的大海。 —

Although the tide was going out, there were a few slow rollers. —
尽管潮汐在退,但还有一些缓慢的浪涌。 —

They came in like undulations in the water gathered weight of water, and then broke smoothly on the warm sand. —
它们像水中的波澜一样汇聚着水量,然后在温暖的沙子上平滑断裂。 —

I waded out. The water was cold. As a roller came I dove, swam out under water, and came to the surface with all the chill gone. —
我涉水而入。水很冷。当一个浪涌过来的时候,我潜水,游到水下,冰冷感一扫而空。 —

I swam out to the raft, pulled myself up, and lay on the hot planks. —
我游到了游泳平台,拉上我自己,躺在热板上。 —

A boy and girl were at the other end. The girl had undone the top strap of her bathing-suit and was browning her back. —
另一端有一男一女。女孩解开了泳衣的上部绑带,晒着她的背部。 —

The boy lay face downward on the raft and talked to her. —
男孩仰面躺在木排上,和她说话。 —

She laughed at things he said, and turned her brown back in the sun. —
她笑着听他说的话,背对着太阳晒着棕色的皮肤。 —

I lay on the raft in the sun until I was dry. Then I tried several dives. —
我躺在木排上晒太阳,直到身体变干。然后我尝试了几次潜水。 —

I dove deep once, swimming down to the bottom. I swam with my eyes open and it was green and dark. —
我曾经深潜一次,游到了底部。我张开眼睛游泳,水是绿色和黑暗的。 —

The raft made a dark shadow. I came out of the water beside the raft, pulled up, dove once more, holding it for length, and then swam ashore. —
木排投下了黑影。我游到木排旁边,爬上来,再潜了一次,保持在水下一段时间,然后游向岸边。 —

I lay on the beach until I was dry, then went into the bathing-cabin, took off my suit, sloshed myself with fresh water, and rubbed dry.
我躺在海滩上直到变干,然后走进更衣室,脱去泳衣,用清水冲洗自己,然后擦干身体。

I walked around the harbor under the trees to the casino, and then up one of the cool streets to the Café Marinas. —
我在树荫下的海港周围散步,然后去了赌场,沿着凉爽的街道之一步行到了码头边的Marinas咖啡馆。 —

There was an orchestra playing inside the café and I sat out on the terrace and enjoyed the fresh coolness in the hot day, and had a glass of lemonjuice and shaved ice and then a long whiskey and soda. —
咖啡馆里有个乐队在演奏,我坐在露台上享受炎热的一天中的清凉,喝了一杯柠檬汁和刨冰,然后喝了一杯长长的威士忌苏打。 —

I sat in front of the Marinas for a long time and read and watched the people, and listened to the music.
我在Marinas前坐了很长时间,读书,看着人来人往,听着音乐。

Later when it began to get dark, I walked around the harbor and out along the promenade, and finally back to the hotel for supper. —
后来天开始变暗,我沿着海港走了一圈,沿着长廊走了一段,最后回到旅馆吃晚餐。 —

There was a bicycle-race on, the Tour du Pays Basque, and the riders were stopping that night in San Sebastian. —
有一场自行车比赛正在进行,巴斯克之旅,骑手们那天晚上在圣塞巴斯蒂安停下来。 —

In the dining-room, at one side, there was a long table of bicycle-riders, eating with their trainers and managers. —
在餐厅的一侧,有一张长长的自行车骑手餐桌,和他们的教练和经理一起吃饭。 —

They were all French and Belgians, and paid close attention to their meal, but they were having a good time. —
他们都是法国人和比利时人,专心地吃饭,但他们很开心。 —

At the head of the table were two good-looking French girls, with much Rue du Faubourg Montmartre chic. —
表的一头坐着两个相貌好看的法国女孩,看起来很有巴黎Faubourg Montmartre大道风情。 —

I could not make out whom they belonged to. —
搞不清她们是属于哪一组的。 —

They all spoke in slang at the long table and there were many private jokes and some jokes at the far end that were not repeated when the girls asked to hear them. —
他们在长桌旁讲着俚语,有很多私下的笑话,也有在远端的笑话,女孩们问起时并没有重复。 —

The next morning at five o’clock the race resumed with the last lap, San Sebastian-Bilbao. —
第二天早上五点,比赛在最后一圈中重新开始,从圣塞瓦斯蒂安到毕尔巴鄂。 —

The bicycle-riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. —
自行车手喝了很多酒,被阳光晒得黝黑发红。 —

They did not take the race seriously except among themselves. —
他们并没有认真对待这场比赛,除了他们之间。 —

They had raced among themselves so often that it did not make much difference who won. Especially in a foreign country. —
他们经常在彼此之间比赛,所以谁赢了并不太重要。尤其在外国。 —

The money could be arranged.
钱可以安排。

The man who had a matter of two minutes lead in the race had an attack of boils, which were very painful. —
那个比赛中领先两分钟的人得了疥疮,非常疼痛。 —

He sat on the small of his back. His neck was very red and the blond hairs were sunburned. —
他坐在后背上,脖子很红,金色的头发被太阳晒得发白。 —

The other riders joked him about his boils. —
其他车手开他的玩笑。 —

He tapped on the table with his fork.
他用叉子敲打桌子。

   "Listen," he said, "to-morrow my nose is so tight on the handlebars that the only thing touches those boils is a lovely breeze."

“听着,”他说,“明天我的鼻子离车把太近,唯一碰到这些疥疮的只有温暖的微风。”

One of the girls looked at him down the table, and he grinned and turned red. —
桌子那头的一个女孩看着他,他露齿而笑,脸上泛红。 —

The Spaniards, they said, did not know how to pedal.
他们说,西班牙人不懂得踩踏板。

I had coffee out on the terrasse with the team manager of one of the big bicycle manufacturers. —
我在露台上和一家大型自行车制造商的车队经理一起喝咖啡。 —

He said it had been a very pleasant race, and would have been worth watching if Bottechia had not abandoned it at Pamplona. —
他说那是一场非常愉快的比赛,如果波泰夏没有在帕姆普洛纳退出的话,本来值得一看。 —

The dust had been bad, but in Spain the roads were better than in France. —
尘土很严重,但在西班牙,道路比在法国要好。 —

Bicycle road-racing was the only sport in the world, he said. —
自行车公路赛是世界上唯一的运动,他说道。 —

Had I ever followed the Tour de France? Only in the papers. —
我有没有曾经关注过环法自行车赛?只在报纸上看过。 —

The Tour de France was the greatest sporting event in the world. —
环法自行车赛是世界上最重要的体育赛事。 —

Following and organizing the road races had made him know France. Few people know France. —
跟踪和组织公路赛让他了解了法国。很少有人了解法国。 —

All spring and all summer and all fall he spent on the road with bicycle road-racers. —
春季、夏季和秋季,他都和自行车公路赛选手一起度过。 —

Look at the number of motor-cars now that followed the riders from town to town in a road race. —
看看现在跟随赛车手从一个城镇到另一个城镇的摩托车数量。 —

It was a rich country and more sportif every year. —
这是一个富裕的国家,每年越来越有体育精神。 —

It would be the most sportif country in the world. It was bicycle road-racing did it. —
它将成为世界上体育精神最浓厚的国家。就是自行车公路赛办到的。 —

That and football. He knew France. La France Sportive. He knew road-racing. We had a cognac. —
还有足球。他了解法国。《体育法国》。他了解公路赛。我们喝了一杯干邑。 —

After all, though, it wasn’t bad to get back to Paris. There is only one Paname. —
不过,回到巴黎也不错。巴黎只有一个。 —

In all the world, that is. Paris is the town the most sportif in the world. —
在世界上,那就是巴黎。巴黎是世界上最有体育精神的城市。 —

Did I know the Chope de Negre? Did I not. I would see him there some time. I certainly would. —
我知道《黑人啤酒》吗?当然知道。我以后会去那儿看看的。我肯定会去的。 —

We would drink another fine together. We certainly would. —
我们一起再喝一杯好酒。我们肯定会的。 —

They started at six o’clock less a quarter in the morning. Would I be up for the depart? —
他们早上六点差一刻开始出发。我会起床准备出发吗? —

I would certainly try to. Would I like him to call me? It was very interesting. —
我肯定会尝试着打电话给他。我希望他能打电话给我。这个故事很有趣。 —

I would leave a call at the desk. He would not mind calling me. —
我会在前台留个口信。他不会介意给我回个电话。 —

I could not let him take the trouble. I would leave a call at the desk. —
我不想让他费心。我会在前台留个口信。 —

We said good-bye until the next morning.
我们道别了,直到第二天早晨。

In the morning when I awoke the bicycle-riders and their following cars had been on the road for three hours. —
当我早晨醒来时,自行车骑手和跟随他们的车队已经上路三个小时了。 —

I had coffee and the papers in bed and then dressed and took my bathing-suit down to the beach. —
我在床上喝着咖啡看报纸,然后穿好衣服,带着泳衣去海滩。 —

Everything was fresh and cool and damp in the early morning. —
一切在清晨都是新鲜、凉爽、潮湿的。 —

Nurses in uniform and in peasant costume walked under the trees with children. —
护士们穿着制服和民族服装在树下和孩子们一起行走。 —

The Spanish children were beautiful. Some bootblacks sat together under a tree talking to a soldier. The soldier had only one arm. —
西班牙的孩子们很漂亮。有些擦鞋匠在树下和一位士兵聊天。那位士兵只有一只胳膊。 —

The tide was in and there was a good breeze and a surf on the beach.
潮水上涨,海滩上吹着一阵凉爽的海风,海浪翻腾。

I undressed in one of the bath-cabins, crossed the narrow line of beach and went into the water. —
我在一个浴室里脱衣服,穿过窄窄的沙滩线,走进水里。 —

I swam out, trying to swim through the rollers, but having to dive sometimes. —
我游了出去,试图游过那些浪潮,有时必须潜水。 —

Then in the quiet water I turned and floated. —
然后在宁静的水面上,我转过身漂浮。 —

Floating I saw only the sky, and felt the drop and lift of the swells. —
漂浮时我只看到天空,感受着浪涌的起伏。 —

I swam back to the surf and coasted in, face down, on a big roller, then turned and swam, trying to keep in the trough and not have a wave break over me. —
我游回到海浪之中,在一片巨浪上俯冲,然后转身游动,试图保持在波谷中,不让海浪淹没我。 —

It made me tired, swimming in the trough, and I turned and swam out to the raft. —
在槽里游泳让我感到疲倦,我转身向筏子游出去。 —

The water was buoyant and cold. It felt as though you could never sink. —
水很浮力十足,而且很冷。感觉就像您永远不会沉下去。 —

I swam slowly, it seemed like a long swim with the high tide, and then pulled up on the raft and sat, dripping, on the boards that were becoming hot in the sun. —
我慢慢游,似乎漫长的潮水游泳,然后爬上筏子,坐在那片在阳光下变热的木板上,滴水落下。 —

I looked around at the bay, the old town, the casino, the line of trees along the promenade, and the big hotels with their white porches and gold-lettered names. —
我环顾着海湾,老城区,赌场,海滨长廊上的树排,以及带有白色门廊和镶金字的大酒店。 —

Off on the right, almost closing the harbor, was a green hill with a castle. —
在右侧,几乎堵住港口入口的是一座带有一座城堡的绿色山丘。 —

The raft rocked with the motion of the water. —
筏子随着水的运动而摇摆。 —

On the other side of the narrow gap that led into the open sea was another high headland. —
在通往大海的窄缝的另一侧有一片高高的岬。 —

I thought I would like to swim across the bay but I was afraid of cramp.
我想我想游过海湾,但是我怕抽筋。

I sat in the sun and watched the bathers on the beach. They looked very small. —
我坐在阳光下看着海滩上的游泳者。他们看起来很小。 —

After a while I stood up, gripped with my toes on the edge of the raft as it tipped with my weight, and dove cleanly and deeply, to come up through the lightening water, blew the salt water out of my head, and swam slowly and steadily in to shore.
过了一会儿,我站了起来,用脚趾抓住筏子的边缘,随着我的重量,筏子翻倒,然后干净利落地潜入水中,穿过变轻的水面回来,将盐水吹出头部,然后慢慢而稳定地游向岸边。

After I was dressed and had paid for the bath-cabin, I walked back to the hotel. —
更衣干净后,我走回饭店。 —

The bicycle-racers had left several copies of L’Auto around, and I gathered them up in the reading-room and took them out and sat in an easy chair in the sun toread about and catch up on French sporting life. —
自行车赛手在阅览室里留下了几份《自行车报》,我把它们收拾起来,带到户外,在阳光下的舒适椅子上阅读关于法国体育生活的内容来追赶。 —

While I was sitting there the concierge came out with a blue envelope in his hand.
当我坐在那里时,门房拿着一封蓝色的信封出来。

   "A telegram for you, sir."

“有您的电报,先生。”

I poked my finger along under the fold that was fastened down, spread it open, and read it. —
我在那张被夹住的折叠处下伸出手指,将它展开,然后读了起来。 —

It had been forwarded from Paris:
这是从巴黎转发过来的:

    COULD YOU COME HOTEL MONTANA MADRID

你能来马德里蒙特纳酒店吗?

   AM RATHER IN TROUBLE BRETT.

布雷特,我遇到麻烦了。

I tipped the concierge and read the message again. A postman was coming along the sidewalk. —
我给了门房小费,然后又读了一遍短信。一个邮递员沿着人行道走来。 —

He turned into the hotel. He had a big moustache and looked very military. —
他进了酒店。他留着一把大胡子,看起来很军事化。 —

He came out of the hotel again. The concierge was just behind him.
他再次走出酒店。门房就在他身后。

   "Here's another telegram for you, sir."

“先生,这里还有一封给您的电报。”

   "Thank you," I said.

“谢谢,”我说。

   I opened it. It was forwarded from Pamplona.

我打开了它。是从帕母洛纳转发过来的。

   COULD YOU COME HOTEL MONTANA MADRID

你能来马德里蒙特纳酒店吗?

   AM RATHER IN TROUBLE BRETT.

布雷特,我遇到了麻烦。

   The concierge stood there waiting for another tip, probably.

门房站在那儿,可能在等着另一个小费。

   "What time is there a train for Madrid?"

“现在有什么时候有火车去马德里?”

   "It left at nine this morning. There is a slow train at eleven, and the Sud Express at ten to-night."

“早上九点就有一班列车了。有一班慢车在11点,还有一班Sud Express在今晚十点的.”

   "Get me a berth on the Sud Express. Do you want the money now?"

“给我预订一张Sud Express的卧铺。你现在要钱吗?”

   "Just as you wish," he said. "I will have it put on the bill."

“正如您所愿,”他说,“我会把这个记在账单上。”

   "Do that."

“就这样吧。”

Well, that meant San Sebastian all shot to hell. —
嗯,这意味着圣塞巴斯蒂安完全泡汤了。 —

I suppose, vaguely, I had expected something of the sort. —
我大概是期望过类似的事情。 —

I saw the concierge standing in the doorway.
我看到门房站在门口。

   "Bring me a telegram form, please."

“请给我拿一个电报表格。”

   He brought it and I took out my fountain-pen and printed:

他拿来了,我拿出自己的钢笔,记录着:

    LADY ASHLEY HOTEL MONTANA MADRID

ASHLEY夫人,蒙塔纳酒店,马德里

   ARRIVING SUD EXPRESS TOMORROW

明天乘坐SUD EXPRESS抵达

   LOVE JAKE.

爱你的JAKE。

That seemed to handle it. That was it. Send a girl off with one man. —
看起来解决了。就是这样。让一个女孩跟随一个男人。 —

Introduce her to another to go off with him. Now go and bring her back. —
再介绍她给另一个男人跟随。然后去把她带回来。 —

And sign the wire with love. That was it all right. —
还要在电报上签名表示爱意。就是这样。 —

I went in to lunch.
我去吃午饭了。

I did not sleep much that night on the Sud Express. —
我在SUD EXPRESS上那晚没睡好。 —

In the morning I had breakfast in the dining-car and watched the rock and pine country between Avila and Escorial. —
早上我在餐车里吃早餐,看着阿维拉和埃斯科里亚尔之间的岩石和松树风景。 —

I saw the Escorial out of the window, gray and long and cold in the sun, and did not give a damn about it. —
我看到了窗外的埃斯科里亚尔,在阳光下显得灰暗、又长又冷,对此毫不在意。 —

I saw Madrid come up over the plain, a compact white skyline on the top of a little cliff away off across the sun-hardened country.
我看到马德里在平原上升起,一座紧凑的白色天际线坐落在一个小悬崖的顶端,远远地在晒得硬梆梆的乡间。

The Norte station in Madrid is the end of the line. All trains finish there. —
马德里的诺特火车站是终点站。所有的列车都在这里结束。 —

They don’t go on anywhere. Outside were cabs and taxis and a line of hotel runners. —
它们不再前往其他地方。外面停着出租车和的士,还有一排酒店搬运工。 —

It was like a country town. I took a taxi and we climbed up through the gardens, by the empty palace and the unfinished church on the edge of the cliff, and on up until we were in the high, hot, modern town. —
这感觉就像一个乡村小镇。我搭乘出租车,穿过花园,经过边缘悬崖上的空宫殿和未完工的教堂,一路向上,直到进入高高的、炎热的、现代的城镇。 —

The taxi coasted down a smooth street to the Puerta del Sol, and then through the traffic and out into the Carrera San Jeronimo. —
出租车顺着一条平整的街道驶向太阳门广场,然后穿过交通,驶出圣赫罗尼莫大道。 —

All the shops had their awnings down against the heat. —
所有的店铺都把遮阳篷放下遮挡热浪。 —

The windows on the sunny side of the street were shuttered. The taxi stopped at the curb. —
街道阳光照射的一侧窗户都关闭着百叶窗。出租车停在路边。 —

I saw the sign HOTEL MONTANA on the second floor. —
我看到二楼上的招牌写着“蒙特那酒店”。 —

The taxi-driver carried the bags in and left them by the elevator. —
出租车司机搬运行李进去,把它们放在电梯旁边。 —

I could not make the elevator work, so I walked up. On the second floor up was a cut brass sign: —
我没能使电梯工作,于是我走上楼。在第二楼有一个切割黄铜招牌: —

HOTEL MONTANA. I rang and no one came to the door. —
蒙特那酒店。我按了门铃,但没有人来开门。 —

I rang again and a maid with a sullen face opened the door.
我再按了一次,一个面无表情的女仆打开了门。

   "Is Lady Ashley here?" I asked.

“阿什利夫人在吗?”我问道。

   She looked at me dully.

她漠然地看着我。

   "Is an Englishwoman here?"

“这里有一位英国女士吗?”

She turned and called some one inside. A very fat woman came to the door. —
她转身对里面喊了一声。一个非常胖的女人走到门口。 —

Her hair was gray and stiffly oiled in scallops around her face. —
她的头发灰色,硬邦邦地涂着满脸的蛋黄油。 —

She was short and commanding.
她个子矮小,态度威严。

   "Muy buenos," I said. "Is there an Englishwoman here? I would like to see this English lady."

“非常好,”我说。”这里有一位英国女士吗?我想见这位英国女士。”

“Muy buenos. Yes, there is a female English. —
“非常好,是的,这里有一位女性英国人。 —

Certainly you can see her if she wishes to see you.”
如果她愿意见你,当然可以见她。”

   "She wishes to see me."

“她愿意见我。”

   "The chica will ask her."

“小姑娘会问她的。”

   "It is very hot."

“现在真热啊。”

   "It is very hot in the summer in Madrid."

“马德里的夏天是很热的。”

   "And how cold in winter."

“冬天又有多冷啊。”

   "Yes, it is very cold in winter."

“是的,冬天非常冷。”

   Did I want to stay myself in person in the Hotel Montana?

我是否想亲自在蒙特那酒店呆一段时间?

Of that as yet I was undecided, but it would give me pleasure if my bags were brought up from the ground floor in order that they might not be stolen. —
直到那时我还没有决定,但如果我的包被从一楼拿上来,以防被偷的话,我会很高兴。 —

Nothing was ever stolen in the Hotel Montana. In other fondas, yes. Not here. —
在蒙特那酒店从来没有发生过偷窃案。在其他fondas里,是的。但在这里是不会的。 —

No. The personages of this establishment were rigidly selectioned. —
不是。这家酒店择客非常严格。 —

I was happy to hear it. Nevertheless I would welcome the upbringal of my bags.
我很高兴听到这个。尽管如此,我仍然希望我的包被送上来。

   The maid came in and said that the female English wanted to see the male English now, at once.

女仕要求看见男仕现在,立刻。

   "Good," I said. "You see. It is as I said."

“好,”我说。“你看。就像我说的。”

   "Clearly."

“很明显。”

   I followed the maid's back down a long, dark corridor. At the end she knocked on a door.

我跟着女服务员沿着一条漫长而黑暗的走廊走下去。最终她敲了一扇门。

   "Hello," said Brett. "Is it you, jake?"

“你好,”Brett说。“是你,jake吗?”

   "It's me."

“是我。”

   "Come in. Come in."

“进来。进来。”

I opened the door. The maid closed it after me. Brett was in bed. —
我打开门。女服务员在我后面关上了门。Brett躺在床上。 —

She had just been brushing her hair and held the brush in her hand. —
她刚梳完头发,手里拿着刷子。 —

The room was in that disorder produced only by those who have always had servants.
房间里那种只有一直有佣人的人才会产生的混乱。

   "Darling!" Brett said.

“宝贝!”Brett说。

I went over to the bed and put my arms around her. —
我走到床边,抱住了她。 —

She kissed me, and while she kissed me I could feel she was thinking of something else. —
她吻了我,我感受到她的心思在别处。 —

She was trembling in my arms. She felt very small.
她在我怀中颤抖,显得非常渺小。

   "Darling! I've had such a hell of a time."

“亲爱的!我经历了一场煎熬。”

   "Tell me about it."

“跟我说说吧。”

   "Nothing to tell. He only left yesterday. I made him go."

“没什么可说的。他昨天才走。我让他离开的。”

   "Why didn't you keep him?"

“为什么不留住他呢?”

   "I don't know. It isn't the sort of thing one does. I don't think I hurt him any."

“我不知道。这不是一个人会做的事情。我觉得我没有伤害他。”

   "You were probably damn good for him."

“你对他可能是真心的好。”

   "He shouldn't be living with any one. I realized that right away."

“他不应该跟任何人住在一起。我立刻意识到了这一点。”

   "No."

“是的。”

   "Oh, hell!" she said, "let's not talk about it. Let's never talk about it."

“该死的!”她说,“我们别再谈这个了。永远别谈这个。”

   "All right."

“好的。”

   "It was rather a knock his being ashamed of me. He was ashamed of me for a while, you know."

“他有段时间对我感到羞耻。你知道的。”

   "No."

“不知道。”

“Oh, yes. They ragged him about me at the café, I guess. —
“噢,是的。我想他们在咖啡馆里取笑他,我想。 —

He wanted me to grow my hair out. Me, with long hair. —
他想让我留长发。我,留长发。 —

I’d look so like hell.”
我看起来会很糟糕。

   "It's funny."

“挺有趣的。

   "He said it would make me more womanly. I'd look a fright."

“他说这样会让我更女人味。我看起来会吓人。

   "What happened?"

“后来怎么样了?

   "Oh, he got over that. He wasn't ashamed of me long."

“噢,他不在乎这个很久了。

   "What was it about being in trouble?"

“关于陷入麻烦是怎么回事?

“I didn’t know whether I could make him go, and I didn’t have a sou to go away and leave him. —
“我不知道我能不能让他离开,而且我身无分文没有钱离开他。 —

He tried to give me a lot of money, you know. I told him I had scads of it. —
他试图给我很多钱,你知道的。我告诉他我有很多钱。 —

He knew that was a lie. I couldn’t take his money, you know.”
他知道那是谎言。我不能接他的钱,你知道的。

   "No."

“不。

   "Oh, let's not talk about it. There were some funny things, though. Do give me a cigarette."

“噢,不要谈这个了。有些事情很有趣。请给我一支香烟。

   I lit the cigarette.

我点燃了香烟。

   "He learned his English as a waiter in Gib."

“他在直布罗陀做服务员时学会了英语。”

   "Yes."

“是的。”

   "He wanted to marry me, finally."

“他终于想要娶我了。”

   "Really?"

“真的吗?”

   "Of course. I can't even marry Mike."

“当然。我甚至不能嫁给迈克。”

   "Maybe he thought that would make him Lord Ashley."

“也许他觉得那样他就能成为阿什利勋爵了。”

“No. It wasn’t that. He really wanted to marry me. So I couldn’t go away from him, he said. —
“不是那样的。他真的想要娶我。所以我无法离开他,他说。” —

He wanted to make it sure I could never go away from him. —
“他想要确保我永远也离不开他。” —

After I’d gotten more womanly, of course.”
在我变得更加女性化之后,当然是。

   "You ought to feel set up."

“你应该感到受骗了。”

   "I do. I'm all right again. He's wiped out that damned Cohn."

“我是的。我又好了。他摆平了那该死的科恩。”

   "Good."

“很好。”

“You know I’d have lived with him if I hadn’t seen it was bad for him. —
“你知道如果我没有看到这对他有害,我会和他住在一起。” —

We got along damned well.”
我们相处得非常好。”

   "Outside of your personal appearance."

“除了你的个人外貌。”

   "Oh, he'd have gotten used to that."

“哦,他会习惯的。”

   She put out the cigarette.

她熄灭了香烟。

   "I'm thirty-four, you know. I'm not going to be one of these bitches that ruins children."

“我三十四岁了,你知道的。我不会成为那些毁了孩子的婊子之一。”

   "No."

“不。”

   "I'm not going to be that way. I feel rather good, you know. I feel rather set up."

“我不会变成那样的人。你知道的,我感觉挺好的。我感觉自己很稳妥。”

   "Good."

“好。”

She looked away. I thought she was looking for another cigarette. Then I saw she was crying. —
她把目光移开了。我以为她在找另一支香烟。然后我发现她在哭。 —

I could feel her crying. Shaking and crying. —
我感觉到了她的哭声。颤抖着哭泣。 —

She wouldn’t look up. I put my arms around her.
她不愿抬起头来。我搂着她。

   "Don't let's ever talk about it. Please don't let's ever talk about it."

“我们永远不要谈这件事。请不要再提起。”

   "Dear Brett."

“亲爱的布雷特。”

“I’m going back to Mike.” I could feel her crying as I held her close. —
“我要回去找迈克。” 我感觉到她在我怀里哭泣。 —

“He’s so damned nice and he’s so awful. He’s my sort of thing.”
“他很讨厌,但又非常好。他就是我的类型。”

   She would not look up. I stroked her hair. I could feel her shaking.

她不肯抬头。我轻轻地抚摸着她的头发。我能感觉到她的颤抖。

“I won’t be one of those bitches,” she said. —
“我不会成为那些婊子中的一个,”她说。 —

“But, oh, Jake, please let’s never talk about it.”
“但是,哦,杰克,请永远不要提起这件事。”

We left the Hotel Montana. The woman who ran the hotel would not let me pay the bill. —
我们离开了蒙特利尔酒店。经营酒店的女士不让我付账。 —

The bill had been paid.
账单已经结清。

   "Oh, well. Let it go," Brett said. "It doesn't matter now."

“哦,算了吧。”布莱特说。“现在不重要了。”

We rode in a taxi down to the Palace Hotel, left the bags, arranged for berths on the Sud Express for the night, and went into the bar of the hotel for a cocktail. —
我们乘出租车去了宫殿酒店,把行李放下,安排了晚上乘坐苏德特快列车的卧铺,然后进入了酒店的酒吧喝一杯鸡尾酒。 —

We sat on high stools at the bar while the barman shook the Martinis in a large nickelled shaker.
我们坐在吧台上高脚凳上,看着调酒师用一个大镀镍的摇摇杯摇着马提尼鸡尾酒。

   "It's funny what a wonderful gentility you get in the bar of a big hotel," I said.

“在大酒店的酒吧里你真能感受到多么令人愉快的优雅啊。”我说。

   "Barmen and jockeys are the only people who are polite any more."

“现在只有调酒师和赛马骑师还保持着礼貌。”

   "No matter how vulgar a hotel is, the bar is always nice."

“无论一个酒店多么粗俗,酒吧总是很不错。”

   "It's odd."

“这真是奇怪。”

   "Bartenders have always been fine."

“调酒师一直都很好。”

   "You know," Brett said, "it's quite true. He is only nineteen. Isn't it amazing?"

“你知道,”布莱特说,“他才十九岁。真是令人吃惊吧?”

We touched the two glasses as they stood side by side on the bar. —
我们碰了碰两杯并排放在吧台上的鸡尾酒杯。 —

They were coldly beaded. Outside the curtained window was the summer heat of Madrid.
它们在杯子外面凉凉的,上面挂着水珠。窗帘后是马德里的夏日炎炎。

   "I like an olive in a Martini," I said to the barman.

“我喜欢马提尼里放橄榄。”我对调酒师说。

   "Right you are, sir. There you are."

“就是这样,先生。给您。”

   "Thanks."

“谢谢。”

   "I should have asked, you know."

“我本该问一问的,你知道的。”

The barman went far enough up the bar so that he would not hear our conversation. —
那位酒吧老板走得足够远,以免听到我们的谈话。 —

Brett had sipped from the Martini as it stood, on the wood. Then she picked it up. —
布雷特从木制桌子上的马丁尼酒中啜了一口。然后她拿起了杯子。 —

Her hand was steady enough to lift it after that first sip.
在那第一口之后,她的手稳定地举起了杯子。

   "It's good. Isn't it a nice bar?"

“好喝。这不是个很棒的酒吧吗?”

   "They're all nice bars."

“所有酒吧都很棒。”

“You know I didn’t believe it at first. He was born in 1905. —
“你知道吗,一开始我不信。他是1905年出生的。 —

I was in school in Paris, then. Think of that.”
当时我在巴黎上学。想想看吧。”

   "Anything you want me to think about it?"

“你希望我想什么?”

   "Don't be an ass. _Would_ you buy a lady a drink?"

“别傻了。你能给一个女士买杯饮料吗?”

   "We'll have two more Martinis."

“我们再来两杯马丁尼酒吧。”

   "As they were before, sir?"

“需要和之前一样的吗,先生?”

   "They were very good." Brett smiled at him.

“之前的非常好。” 布雷特微笑着看着他。

   "Thank you, ma'am."

“谢谢您,夫人。”

   "Well, bung-o," Brett said.

“好吧,好极了,” 布雷特说。

   "Bung-o!"

“好极了!”

“You know,” Brett said, “he’d only been with two women before. —
“你知道,” 布雷特说,“他之前只和两个女人在一起过。 —

He never cared about anything but bull-fighting.”
他只在意斗牛。”

   "He's got plenty of time."

“他还有很多时间。”

   "I don't know. He thinks it was me. Not the show in general."

“我不知道。他认为是我。不是整个节目。”

   "Well, it was you."

“嗯,是你。”

   "Yes. It was me."

“是的。是我。”

   "I thought you weren't going to ever talk about it."

“我还以为你永远不会提起它了。”

   "How can I help it?"

“我怎么能不提呢?”

   "You'll lose it if you talk about it."

“如果你谈论它,你就会气馁。”

   "I just talk around it. You know I feel rather damned good, Jake."

“我只是绕着讲。你知道,杰克,我感觉真TM棒。”

   "You should."

“你应该的。”

   "You know it makes one feel rather good deciding not to be a bitch."

“你知道,决定不当 bitch,让人感觉真TM好。”

   "Yes."

“是的。”

   "It's sort of what we have instead of God."

“这在某种程度上就是我们与上帝的区别。”

   "Some people have God," I said. "Quite a lot."

“有些人信仰上帝,很多人信仰上帝。”

   "He never worked very well with me."

“但上帝从来没有在我身上发挥作用。”

   "Should we have another Martini?"

“我们要再来一杯马丁尼吗?”

   The barman shook up two more Martinis and poured them out into fresh glasses.

酒保摇制了另外两杯马丁尼并倒入新玻璃杯里。

“Where will we have lunch?” I asked Brett. The bar was cool. —
我问Brett,”我们在哪里吃午饭呢?” 酒吧里很凉爽。 —

You could feel the heat outside through the window.
透过窗户,你可以感受到外面的炎热。

   "Here?" asked Brett.

Brett问道,”这里好吗?”

   "It's rotten here in the hotel. Do you know a place called Botin's?" I asked the barman.

“在酒店里很糟糕。你知道一个叫做Botin’s的地方吗?” 我问酒保。

   "Yes, sir. Would you like to have me write out the address?"

“知道,先生。您想让我写下地址吗?”

   "Thank you."

“谢谢。”

We lunched up-stairs at Botin’s. It is one of the best restaurants in the world. —
我们在Botin’s楼上用午餐。这是世界上最好的餐厅之一。 —

We had roast young suckling pig and drank rioja alta. Brett did not eat much. —
我们吃了烤乳猪和喝了Rioja Alta红酒。Brett没吃多少。 —

She never ate much. I ate a very big meal and drank three bottles of rioja alta.
她从来没吃多少。我吃了一顿很丰盛的饭,并喝了三瓶Rioja Alta红酒。

   "How do you feel, Jake?" Brett asked. "My God! what a meal you've eaten."

“杰克,你感觉怎么样?” 布雷特问道。“天啊!你吃了多少啊。”

   "I feel fine. Do you want a dessert?"

“我感觉很好。你要甜点吗?”

   "Lord, no."

“天啊,不要了。”

   Brett was smoking.

布雷特正在抽烟。

   "You like to eat, don't you?" she said.

“你喜欢吃饭,是吗?” 她说。

   "Yes," I said. "I like to do a lot of things."

“是的,”我说。“我喜欢做很多事情。”

   "What do you like to do?"

“你喜欢做什么事?”

   "Oh," I said, "I like to do a lot of things. Don't you want a dessert?"

“哦,”我说,“我喜欢做很多事情。你不想要甜点吗?”

   "You asked me that once," Brett said.

“你曾经问过我这个问题,” 布雷特说。

   "Yes," I said. "So I did. Let's have another bottle of _rioja alta_."

“是的,”我说。“是这样。我们再来一瓶里奥哈酒。”

   "It's very good."

“非常好。”

   "You haven't drunk much of it," I said.

“你没怎么喝它,”我说。

   "I have. You haven't seen."

“我喝了。你没看到。”

“Let’s get two bottles,” I said. The bottles came. —
“我们来两瓶,” 我说。酒瓶被拿过来了。 —

I poured a little in my glass, then a glass for Brett, then filled my glass. —
我先给自己倒了一点,然后给布雷特倒了一杯,然后给自己倒满了杯子。 —

We touched glasses.
我们碰杯。

   "Bung-o!" Brett said. I drank my glass and poured out another. Brett put her hand on my arm.

“冲杯!”布雷特说。我喝了一口酒,倒了另一杯。布雷特把手放在我的胳膊上。

   "Don't get drunk, Jake," she said. "You don't have to."

“别喝醉了,杰克,”她说。”你不必这样做。”

   "How do you know?"

“你怎么知道?”

   "Don't," she said. "You'll be all right."

“别,”她说。”你会没事的。”

   "I'm not getting drunk," I said. "I'm just drinking a little wine. I like to drink wine."

“我不会喝醉,”我说。”我只是喝点葡萄酒。我喜欢喝葡萄酒。”

   "Don't get drunk," she said. "Jake, don't get drunk."

“不要喝醉,”她说。”杰克,不要喝醉。”

   "Want to go for a ride?" I said. "Want to ride through the town?"

“想出去兜风吗?”我说。”想在镇上兜风吗?”

   "Right," Brett said. "I haven't seen Madrid. I should see Madrid."

“好的,”布雷特说。”我还没见过马德里。我应该看看马德里。”

   "I'll finish this," I said.

“我喝完这杯,”我说。

Down-stairs we came out through the first-floor dining-room to the street. —
我们从一楼餐厅走出来,来到了街上。 —

A waiter went for a taxi. It was hot and bright. —
一个侍者去叫出租车。天气炎热明亮。 —

Up the street was a little square with trees and grass where there were taxis parked. —
向上走是一个有树和草的小广场,停着出租车。 —

A taxi came up the street, the waiter hanging out at the side. —
一辆出租车开上了街,侍者在车边晃动。 —

I tipped him and told the driver where to drive, and got in beside Brett. The driver started up the street. —
我给了他小费,告诉司机该往哪儿开,然后坐到布雷特旁边。司机启动了车辆驶向街道。 —

I settled back. Brett moved close to me. We sat close against each other. —
我往后靠着。Brett靠近我。我们贴紧地坐在一起。 —

I put my arm around her and she rested against me comfortably. —
我搂着她,她舒适地靠在我身上。 —

It was very hot and bright, and the houses looked sharply white. —
天气炎热而明亮,房子看起来洁白明亮。 —

We turned out onto the Gran Via.
我们转出了格兰·维亚大道。

   "Oh, Jake," Brett said, "we could have had such a damned good time together."

“哦,杰克,” Brett说,”我们本可以在一起度过那么美好的时光。”

Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. —
前方有一名穿着卡其色制服的骑警在指挥交通。 —

He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.
他举起警棍。汽车突然减速,将Brett向我挤了过来。

   "Yes," I said. "Isn't it pretty to think so?"

“是的,”我说。”想象一下会多美好呢?”