The taxi went up the hill, passed the lighted square, then on into the dark, still climbing, then levelled out onto a dark street behind St. Etienne du Mont, went smoothly down the asphalt, passed the trees and the standing bus at the Place de la Contrescarpe, then turned onto the cobbles of the Rue Mouffetard. —
出租车开上山坡,经过灯火通明的广场,然后进入黑暗中,仍在爬坡,然后在圣艾蒂安山的后面一条黑暗的街道上转向,顺利地沿着柏油路下行,经过树木和康德斯卡普广场上的站立公交车,然后转向穆费塔尔德街的鹅卵石路面。 —

There were lighted bars and late open shops on each side of the street. —
街道两侧都有亮着灯光的酒吧和深夜开放的商店。 —

We were sitting apart and we jolted close together going down the old street. Brett’s hat was off. —
我们分开坐着,去往旧街道时被颠簸地挤到一起。布雷特的帽子掉了。 —

Her head was back. I saw her face in the lights from the open shops, then it was dark, then I saw her face clearly as we came out on the Avenue des Gobelins. —
她的头往后仰。我看到她的脸在开着灯的商店中的光线中,然后是黑暗,接着我们走出古贝兰大街时,我清晰地看到了她的脸。 —

The street was torn up and men were working on the car-tracks by the light of acetylene flares. —
街道被挖开,有工人在氯化乙炔灯的光线下修车轨。 —

Brett’s face was white and the long line of her neck showed in the bright light of the flares. —
布雷特的脸很白,她颈部的长线在氯化乙炔灯的明亮光线中展现出来。 —

The street was dark again and I kissed her. —
街道又变得黑暗,我吻了她。 —

Our lips were tight together and then she turned away and pressed against the corner of the seat, as far away as she could get. Her head was down.
我们的嘴紧紧贴在一起,然后她转身,尽可能地挤到座位边上。她的头低着。

   "Don't touch me," she said. "Please don't touch me."

“不要碰我,”她说。”请不要碰我。”

   "What's the matter?"

“怎么了?”

   "I can't stand it."

“我受不了。”

   "Oh, Brett."

“哦,布雷特。”

   "You mustn't. You must know. I can't stand it, that's all. Oh, darling, please understand!"

“你不可以。你必须知道。我受不了,就是这样。哦,亲爱的,求你理解!”

   "Don't you love me?"

“你不爱我吗?”

   "Love you? I simply turn all to jelly when you touch me."

“爱你?当你碰我时,我简直变得软绵绵的。”

   "Isn't there anything we can do about it?"

“难道我们就没有任何办法吗?”

She was sitting up now. My arm was around her and she was leaning back against me, and we were quite calm. —
她现在坐了起来。我的手臂搂着她,她靠在我身上,我们都很平静。 —

She was looking into my eyes with that way she had of looking that made you wonder whether she really saw out of her own eyes. —
她用那种看待事物的方式看着我的眼睛,让你怀疑她是否真的通过自己的眼睛看世界。 —

They would look on and on after every one else’s eyes in the world would have stopped looking. —
他们会在所有其他人的眼睛都停止看的时候继续注视着。 —

She looked as though there were nothing on earth she would not look at like that, and really she was afraid of so many things.
她看起来好像没有什么地球上的事物是她不愿意用那种方式看的,但实际上她害怕很多事情。

   "And there's not a damn thing we could do," I said.

“我们也没什么能做的了,”我说。

   "I don't know," she said. "I don't want to go through that hell again."

“我不知道,”她说。“我不想再经历那种地狱。”

   "We'd better keep away from each other."

“我们最好保持距离。”

   "But, darling, I have to see you. It isn't all that you know."

“但是,亲爱的,我必须见到你。情况并不全是你知道的那样。”

   "No, but it always gets to be."

“不,但情况总是会变成那样。”

   "That's my fault. Don't we pay for all the things we do, though?"

“那是我的错。我们不是要为我们所做的一切付出代价吗?”

She had been looking into my eyes all the time. —
她一直在看着我的眼睛。 —

Her eyes had different depths, sometimes they seemed perfectly flat. —
她的眼睛有不同的深度,有时看起来完全平淡。 —

Now you could see all the way into them.
现在你可以一直看到她的眼底。

   "When I think of the hell I've put chaps through. I'm paying for it all now."

“每当我想到我让人们经历的地狱时,我现在在为此付出代价。”

“Don’t talk like a fool,” I said. “Besides, what happened to me is supposed to be funny. —
“别说傻话,”我说。“而且,我所遭遇的事情本来就应该很搞笑。” —

I never think about it.”
我从不去想它。”

   "Oh, no. I'll lay you don't."

“哦,不。我敢打赌你不会。”

   "'Well, let's shut up about it."

“好吧,我们别再谈这个了。”

“I laughed about it too, myself, once.” She wasn’t looking at me. —
“我自己也曾经笑过。”她没有看着我。 —

“A friend of my brother’s came home that way from Mons. It seemed like a hell of a joke. —
“我哥哥的一个朋友从蒙斯回家的时候就是这样的。那仿佛是个天大的玩笑。 —

Chaps never know anything, do they?”
先生们永远不知道任何事情,对不对?”

   "No," I said. "Nobody ever knows anything."

“是的,”我说。“没有人真正懂得什么。”

I was pretty well through with the subject. —
我对这个话题已经基本讨论完毕。 —

At one time or another I had probably considered it from most of its various angles, including the one that certain injuries or imperfections are a subject of merriment while remaining quite serious for the person possessing them.
在某个时间点,我可能已经从各种角度考虑过它,其中包括某些伤害或缺陷是笑柄,但对拥有者来说却十分严重的角度。

   "It's funny," I said. "It's very funny. And it's a lot of fun, too, to be in love."

“这很有趣,”我说。“而且恋爱也很有趣。”

   "Do you think so?" her eyes looked flat again.

“你这么认为吗?”她的眼睛又显得平淡了。

   "I don't mean fun that way. In a way it's an enjoyable feeling."

“我不是说享乐的方式。某种程度上,这是一种快乐的感觉。”

   "No," she said. "I think it's hell on earth."

“不,”她说。“我认为这是人间地狱。”

   "It's good to see each other."

“彼此见面真好。”

   "No. I don't think it is."

“不。我不认为是。”

   "Don't you want to?"

“难道你不想吗?”

   "I have to."

“我必须去。”

We were sitting now like two strangers. On the right was the Parc Montsouris. —
此刻我们坐在那里就像两个陌生人。右边是蒙苏里公园。 —

The restaurant where they have the pool of live trout and where you can sit and look out over the park was closed and dark. —
那家有活鳟鱼池的餐厅已经关门,黑暗中。 —

The driver leaned his head around.
司机伸头过来。

   "Where do you want to go?" I asked. Brett turned her head away.

“你想去哪里?”我问。布雷特把头扭向一边。

   "Oh, go to the Select."

“噢,去塞莱克酒吧吧。”

“Café Select,” I told the driver. “Boulevard Montparnasse.” —
“Café Select,”我告诉司机,”蒙帕纳斯大道。” —

We drove straight down, turning around the Lion de Belfort that guards the passing Montrouge trams. —
我们径直开去,绕过守护着通过蒙特鲁热电车的贝尔福特狮子。 —

Brett looked straight ahead. On the Boulevard Raspail, with the lights of Montparnasse in sight, Brett said: —
布雷特直视前方。在拉斯派尔大道上,透过蒙帕纳斯的灯光,布雷特说: —

“Would you mind very much if I asked you to do something?”
“如果我问你做一件事你会很在意吗?”

   "Don't be silly."

“别傻了。”

   "Kiss me just once more before we get there."

“在我们到达那儿之前再亲我一次好吗?”

When the taxi stopped I got out and paid. Brett came out putting on her hat. —
出租车停下时,我下车付了钱。布雷特出来戴上帽子。 —

She gave me her hand as she stepped down. Her hand was shaky. “I say, do I look too much of a mess?” —
她走下台阶时递给我手。她的手在颤抖。“我说,我看起来是不是太凌乱了?” —

She pulled her man’s felt hat down and started in for the bar. —
她把男士的毡帽往下拉了一下,然后走进了酒吧。 —

Inside, against the bar and at tables, were most of the crowd who had been at the dance.
里面,靠着吧台和桌子,坐着大部分参加舞会的人群。

   "Hello, you chaps," Brett said. "I'm going to have a drink."

“你们好,伙计们,” 布莱特说。“我要来一杯。”

“Oh, Brett! Brett!” the little Greek portrait-painter, who called himself a duke, and whom everybody called Zizi, pushed up to her. —
“哦,布莱特!布莱特!”那位自称公爵的希腊小画家,大家都叫他齐齐,挤到她身边。 —

“I got something fine to tell you.”
“我有件好事要告诉你。”

   "Hello, Zizi," Brett said.

“你好,齐齐,” 布莱特说。

   "I want you to meet a friend," Zizi said. A fat man came up.

“我要介绍你认识一个朋友,” 齐齐说。一个胖男人走了过来。

   "Count Mippipopolous, meet my friend Lady Ashley."

“米皮波洛斯伯爵,认识我的朋友艾希莉夫人。”

   "How do you do?" said Brett.

“你好,” 布莱特说。

“Well, does your Ladyship have a good time here in Paris?” —
“那么,你的夫人在巴黎玩得开心吗?”戴着鹿牙齿表链的米皮波洛斯伯爵问道。 —

asked Count Mippipopolous, who wore an elk’s tooth on his watchchain.
“还不错,” 布莱特说。

   "Rather," said Brett.

“巴黎是一个不错的城市,” 伯爵说。

“Paris is a fine town all right,” said the count. —
“但我想你在伦敦的活动可能更热闹吧。” —

“But I guess you have pretty big doings yourself over in London.”
“对,” 布莱特说。

   "Oh, yes," said Brett. "Enormous."

“哦,是的。”布雷特说。“非常大。”

Braddocks called to me from a table. —
布拉多克斯从一张桌子上叫我。 —

“Barnes,” he said, “have a drink. That girl of yours got in a frightful row.”
“巴恩斯,”他说,“喝一杯。你那个女孩惹了一场可怕的纠纷。”

   "What about?"

“关于什么?”

“Something the patronne’s daughter said. A corking row. She was rather splendid, you know. —
“是老板娘的女儿说的。一场了不起的纠纷。她真是了不起,你知道。 —

Showed her yellow card and demanded the patronne’s daughter’s too. —
出示了她的黄牌并要求老板娘的女儿也出示黄牌。 —

I say it was a row.”
我说那是一场纠纷。”

   "What finally happened?"

“最后发生了什么事?”

“Oh, some one took her home. Not a bad-looking girl. —
“哦,有人送她回家了。那女孩长得还不错。 —

Wonderful command of the idiom. Do stay and have a drink.”
精通流利。留下来喝杯酒吧。”

   "No," I said. "I must shove off. Seen Cohn?"

“不,”我说。“我得走了。看到科恩了吗?”

   "He went home with Frances," Mrs. Braddock put in.

“他跟弗朗西丝回家了,”布拉多克太太插嘴道。

   "Poor chap, he looks awfully down," Braddocks said.

“可怜的家伙,看起来很沮丧,”布拉多克斯说。

   "I dare say he is," said Mrs. Braddocks.

“我敢说他是,”布拉多克太太说。

   "I have to shove off," I said. "Good night."

“我得走了。”我说。“晚安。”

I said good night to Brett at the bar. The count was buying champagne. —
我对Brett说了晚安,酒吧里的人在买香槟。 —

“Will you take a glass of wine with us, sir?” he asked.
“先生,你要和我们一起喝杯葡萄酒吗?”他问道。

   "No. Thanks awfully. I have to go."

“不,非常感谢。我得走了。”

   "Really going?" Brett asked.

“真的要走了吗?”Brett问。

   "Yes," I said. "I've got a rotten headache."

“是的,”我说道,”我头疼得厉害。”

   "I'll see you to-morrow?"

“明天见?”

   "Come in at the office."

“在办公室来吧。”

   "Hardly."

“基本不可能。”

   "Well, where will I see you?"

“那么,我什么时候能见到你?”

   "Anywhere around five o'clock."

“任何地方,大约五点左右。”

   "Make it the other side of town then."

“那就选择城市的另一边吧。”

   "Good. I'll be at the Crillon at five."

“好,我会五点钟在克里隆酒店。”

   "Try and be there," I said.

“尽量到场,”我说。

   "Don't worry," Brett said. "I've never let you down, have I?"

“别担心,”Brett说,”我从来没让过你失望,对吧?”

   "Heard from Mike?"

“听到迈克的消息了吗?”

   "Letter to-day."

今天的信。

   "Good night, sir," said the count.

“晚安,先生,”伯爵说道。

I went out onto the sidewalk and walked down toward the Boulevard St. Michel, passed the tables of the Rotonde, still crowded, looked across the Street at the Dome, its tables running out to the edge of the pavement. —
我走出人行道,沿着通往圣米歇尔大道的路走去,经过依然拥挤的Ronde桌子,望向对面的圆顶建筑,它的桌子一直延伸到人行道边缘。 —

Some one waved at me from a table, I did not see who it was and went on. I wanted to get home. —
有人从一张桌子上向我招手,我没有看清楚是谁,就继续走了。我想回家。 —

The Boulevard Montparnasse was deserted. —
蒙帕纳斯大道空无一人。 —

Lavigne’s was closed tight, and they were stacking the tables outside the Closerie des Lilas. I passed Ney’s Statue standing among the new-leaved chestnut-trees in the arc-light. —
拉维尼关门紧闭,他们正在在丽拉园外摆放桌子。我路过尼的雕像,它站在新生的栗树叶子下的弧光中。 —

There was a faded purple wreath leaning against the base. I stopped and read the inscription: —
有一个褪色的紫花环靠在基座上。我停下来看铭文: —

from the Bonapartist Groups, some date; I forget. —
来自波拿巴主义小组,某个日期;我忘了。 —

He looked very fine, Marshal Ney in his top-boots, gesturing with his sword among the green new horse-chestnut leaves. —
尼元帅戴着他的高筒靴看起来非常英俊,在绿色的新骏栗树叶子中舞动着他的剑。 —

My flat was just across the street, a little way down the Boulevard St. Michel.
我的公寓就在街对面,圣米歇尔大道稍微往下走一点。

There was a light in the concierge’s room and I knocked on the door and she gave me my mail. —
看门人室里有灯光,我敲了敲门,她递给我我的信件。 —

I wished her good night and went up-stairs. There were two letters and some papers. —
我祝她晚安然后上楼。里面有两封信和一些文件。 —

I looked at them under the gas-light in the dining-room. The letters were from the States. —
我在餐厅的煤气灯下查看信件。两封信都是来自美国。 —

One was a bank statement. It showed a balance of $2432.60. I got out my check-book and deducted four checks drawn since the first of the month, and discovered I had a balance of $1832.60. I wrote this on the back of the statement. —
其中一封是银行对账单。上面显示账户余额为$2432.60。我拿出支票簿,在本月初以来开具的四张支票后扣除后,发现我有$1832.60的余额。我把这个数字写在对账单背面。 —

The other letter was a wedding announcement. —
另一封是一则婚礼公告。 —

Mr. and Mrs. Aloysius Kirby announce the marriage of their daughter Katherine–I knew neither the girl nor the man she was marrying. —
柯比夫妇宣布他们的女儿凯瑟琳结婚了–我既不认识这个女孩,也不认识她要嫁给的那个人。 —

They must be circularizing the town. It was a funny name. —
他们一定在全镇发传单。那名字真好笑。 —

I felt Sure I could remember anybody with a name like Aloysius. It was a good Catholic name. —
我敢肯定我会记住任何一个叫阿洛伊修斯的人。这是一个好的天主教名字。 —

There was a crest on the announcement. Like Zizi the Greek duke. And that count. —
宣布上有一个纹章。像希腊公爵齐齐和那位伯爵一样。 —

The count was funny. Brett had a title, too. Lady Ashley. —
那位伯爵很有趣。布雷特也有一个头衔。艾希莉夫人。 —

To hell with Brett. To hell with you, Lady Ashley.
去你的吧,布雷特。去你的吧,艾希莉夫人。

I lit the lamp beside the bed, turned off the gas, and opened the wide windows. —
我点亮了床边的灯,关上了煤气,打开了宽大的窗户。 —

The bed was far back from the windows, and I sat with the windows open and undressed by the bed. —
床离窗户很远,我就在床边的大衣柜前坐下,打开了窗户并开始换衣服。 —

Outside a night train, running on the street-car tracks, went by carrying vegetables to the markets. They were noisy at night when you could not sleep. —
外面有一班夜车在市区电车轨道上行驶,运送着蔬菜到市场。夜晚噪音很大,导致无法入睡。 —

Undressing, I looked at myself in the mirror of the big armoire beside the bed. —
我在大衣柜的镜子里看着自己。这是一个典型的法式家具布置。也许还很实用。 —

That was a typically French way to furnish a room. Practical, too, I suppose. —
要受伤总是有很多种方式。我穿上睡衣上床。 —

Of all the ways to be wounded. I suppose it was funny. I put on my pajamas and got into bed. —
我拿着两份斗牛报纸,把包装纸揭掉。一份是橙色的。另一份是黄色的。 —

I had the two bull-fight papers, and I took their wrappers off. One was orange. The other yellow. —
无论哪一份我先读,都会破坏另一份。《勒托里尔》是更好的报纸,所以我开始读它。 —

They would both have the same news, so whichever I read first would spoil the other. —
我开始读它。 —

Le Toril was the better paper, so I started to read it. —
我读它。 —

I read it all the way through, including the Petite Correspondance and the Cornigrams. —
我把整本书都读完了,包括《小信函》和《玉米形字谜》。 —

I blew out the lamp. Perhaps I would be able to sleep.
我吹灭了灯。也许我能睡着。

My head started to work. The old grievance. —
我的头开始工作了。那旧恩怨。 —

Well, it was a rotten way to be wounded and flying on a joke front like the Italian. —
嗯,这样受伤真是个糟糕的方式,还飞在像意大利这样的戏谑前线。 —

In the Italian hospital we were going to form a society. It had a funny name in Italian. —
在意大利的医院,我们打算建立一个协会。它有一个意大利语里的滑稽名字。 —

I wonder what became of the others, the Italians. —
我想知道其他人,意大利人会怎样了。 —

That was in the Ospedale Maggiore in Milano, Padiglione Ponte. The next building was the Padiglione Zonda. There was a statue of Ponte, or maybe it was Zonda. That was where the liaison colonel came to visit me. —
在米兰的大医院,是Ponti楼,旁边是Zonda楼。那里有座Ponti的雕像,或许是Zonda的。就是那里,联络上校来探望我。 —

That was funny. That was about the first funny thing. I was all bandaged up. —
那很滑稽。那是大约第一件滑稽的事。我浑身缠满绷带。 —

But they had told him about it. Then he made that wonderful speech: —
但他们已经告诉他了。然后他说了那番精彩的话: —

“You, a foreigner, an Englishman” (any foreigner was an Englishman) “have given more than your life.” What a speech! —
“你,一个外国人,一个英国人”(任何外国人都是英国人)“已经献出了更多。令人难以置信的演讲! —

I would like to have it illuminated to hang in the office. He never laughed. —
我想把它装裱起来挂在办公室里。他从不笑。 —

He was putting himself in my place, I guess. —
我猜他是在替我设身处地吧。 —

“Che mala fortuna! Che mala fortuna!”
“Che mala fortuna! Che mala fortuna!”

I never used to realize it, I guess. —
我以前可能从未意识到吧。 —

I try and play it along and just not make trouble for people. —
我尽量配合着,只是不给人添麻烦。 —

Probably I never would have had any trouble if I hadn’t run into Brett when they shipped me to England. —
很可能如果我在抵达英格兰时没有遇到布雷特,我就不会有任何麻烦。 —

I suppose she only wanted what she couldn’t have. Well, people were that way. To hell with people. —
我想她只是想要得不到的东西。人们就是这样。谁管这些人呢。 —

The Catholic Church had an awfully good way of handling all that. Good advice, anyway. —
天主教会处理这一切的方式确实非常好。无论如何,那是很好的忠告。 —

Not to think about it. Oh, it was swell advice. —
不去想它。噢,那简直是个好建议。 —

Try and take it sometime. Try and take it.
有机会的话,试着接受一下。试着接受一下。

I lay awake thinking and my mind jumping around. —
我躺着想,我的思绪跳来跳去。 —

Then I couldn’t keep away from it, and I started to think about Brett and all the rest of it went away. —
然后我无法离开它,开始想起布雷特,其他的一切都消失了。 —

I was thinking about Brett and my mind stopped jumping around and started to go in sort of smooth waves. —
我在想布雷特,我的思绪不再跳动,开始变得平静起来。 —

Then all of a sudden I started to cry. Then after a while it was better and I lay in bed and listened to the heavy trams go by and way down the street, and then I went to sleep.
突然间我开始哭了。过了一会儿好一点,我躺在床上听着大型有轨电车驶过,然后我入睡了。

I woke up. There was a row going on outside. I listened and I thought I recognized a voice. —
我醒来了。外面有一场争吵。我听着,觉得认得一个声音。 —

I put on a dressing-gown and went to the door. The concierge was talking down-stairs. —
我穿上睡袍走到门口。楼下有人在说话。 —

She was very angry. I heard my name and called down the stairs.
她非常生气。我听到了我的名字,然后走下楼。

   "Is that you, Monsieur Barnes?" the concierge called.

“那是你吗,巴恩斯先生?” 管理员喊道。

   "Yes. It's me."

“是的。是我。”

“There’s a species of woman here who’s waked the whole street up. —
“这里有个女人,吵醒了整条街道。 —

What kind of a dirty business at this time of night! —
这么晚了,什么脏勾当! —

She says she must see you. I’ve told her you’re asleep.”
她说她必须见你。我告诉她你正在睡觉。”

Then I heard Brett’s voice. Half asleep I had been sure it was Georgette. I don’t know why. —
然后我听见了布雷特的声音。半睡半醒中我确信是乔吉特。我不知道为什么。 —

She could not have known my address.
她不可能知道我的地址。

   "Will you send her up, please?"

“请让她上来,好吗?”

Brett came up the stairs. I saw she was quite drunk. —
布雷特上了楼梯。我看到她已经醉得很厉害。 —

“Silly thing to do,” she said. “Make an awful row. —
“这么傻的事情,吵得人都要疯了。” —

I say, you weren’t asleep, were you?”
“我说,你睡着了吧?”

   "What did you think I was doing?"

“你以为我在做什么呢?”

   "Don't know. What time is it?"

“不知道。现在几点了?”

I looked at the clock. It was half-past four. “Had no idea what hour it was,” Brett said. —
我看了看钟,是四点半。“我都不知道几点了,”布雷特说。 —

“I say, can a chap sit down? Don’t be cross, darling. —
“我说,可以坐一会儿吗?别生气,亲爱的。” —

Just left the count. He brought me here.”
“刚刚离开伯爵。他把我带到这里。”

   "What's he like?" I was getting brandy and soda and glasses.

“他是什么样子?”我正在调制白兰地和苏打水。

“Just a little,” said Brett. “Don’t try and make me drunk. —
“就一点点,”布雷特说。“不要给我灌醉。” —

The count? Oh, rather. He’s quite one of us.”
计数?哦,恰恰好。他完全是我们之一。

   "Is he a count?"

“他是个伯爵吗?”

“Here’s how. I rather think so, you know. Deserves to be, anyhow. —
“这样说吧。我想是的,你知道。无论如何应该是个伯爵。 —

Knows hell’s own amount about people. Don’t know where he got it all. —
了解人们方方面面。不知道他是从哪里学到这些的。 —

Owns a chain of sweetshops in the States.”
在美国拥有一连串糖果店。

   She sipped at her glass.

她啜了一口杯中的饮料。

“Think he called it a chain. Something like that. Linked them all up. —
“我想他称它为一连串。类似那样。将它们全部链接在一起。 —

Told me a little about it. Damned interesting. —
对我讲了一点。非常有趣。 —

He’s one of us, though. Oh, quite. No doubt. —
然而他是我们之一。哦,完全。毫无疑问。 —

One can always tell.”
这总是可以看出来的。

   She took another drink.

她又喝了一口。

“How do I buck on about all this? You don’t mind, do you? —
“我为什么要绕弯子说这些呢?你不介意,对吧? —

He’s putting up for Zizi, you know.”
他正为Zizi提供资助,你知道。

   "Is Zizi really a duke, too?"

“Zizi真的也是公爵吗?”

   "I shouldn't wonder. Greek, you know. Rotten painter. I rather liked the count."

“我想不出来。希腊人,你知道。画得烂。我还蛮喜欢这位伯爵。

   "Where did you go with him?"

“你跟他一起去了哪里?”

“Oh, everywhere. He just brought me here now. —
“哦,到处都去过。他刚刚把我带到这里来。 —

Offered me ten thousand dollars to go to Biarritz with him. —
给了我一万美元要我跟他去比亚里茨。 —

How much is that in pounds?”
这在英镑里是多少钱?”

   "Around two thousand."

“大约两千。

“Lot of money. I told him I couldn’t do it. —
真是一大笔钱。我告诉他我不能去。 —

He was awfully nice about it. Told him I knew too many people in Biarritz.”
他对此很好。我告诉他我认识很多人在比亚里茨。

   Brett laughed.

布雷特笑了。

“I say, you are slow on the up-take,” she said. —
“我说,你对事情理解得真慢,”她说。 —

I had only sipped my brandy and soda. I took a long drink.
我才喝了一口白兰地苏打。我又喝了一大口。

“That’s better. Very funny,” Brett said. “Then he wanted me to go to Cannes with him. —
“这样好些。挺有趣的,”布雷特说。”然后他想带我去戛纳。 —

Told him I knew too many people in Cannes. —
我告诉他我认识很多人在戛纳。 —

Monte Carlo. Told him I knew too many people in Monte Carlo. Told him I knew too many people everywhere. —
摩纳哥。告诉他我认识很多人在摩纳哥。告诉他我到处都认识很多人。 —

Quite true, too. So I asked him to bring me here.”
真的,我请求他把我带到这里来。

She looked at me, her hand on the table, her glass raised. “Don’t look like that,” she said. —
她看着我,手放在桌子上,杯子举起来。”别那样看着我,”她说。 —

“Told him I was in love with you. True, too. Don’t look like that. —
告诉他我爱上了你。而且是真的。不要那样看我。 —

He was damn nice about it. Wants to drive us out to dinner to-morrow night. Like to go?”
他对此很友善。明天晚上想开车带我们出去吃饭。想去吗?

   "Why not?"

“为什么不呢?”

   "I'd better go now."

“我最好现在走了。”

   "Why?"

“为什么?”

“Just wanted to see you. Damned silly idea. —
“只是想见见你。这个想法太傻了。 —

Want to get dressed and come down? He’s got the car just up the Street.”
想换好衣服下来吗?他的车就停在街上。”

   "The count?"

“那个伯爵?”

“Himself. And a chauffeur in livery. —
“就是他。还有穿礼服的司机。 —

Going to drive me around and have breakfast in the Bois. Hampers. —
打算开车载我四处兜风,在布瓦尔森林吃早餐。还有野餐篮。 —

Got it all at Zelli’s. Dozen bottles of Mumms. Tempt you?”
在泽利的买的一打瓶子的mumms香槟。诱惑你吗?”

“I have to work in the morning,” I said. —
“我明天早上还要工作。”我说。 —

“I’m too far behind you now to catch up and be any fun.”
“我比你晚太多了,没法追上并带来一些乐趣。”

   "Don't be an ass."

“别傻了。”

   "Can't do it."

“不行。”

   "Right. Send him a tender message?"

“好。给他发一个温柔的消息吗?”

   "Anything. Absolutely."

“任何事。完全可以。”

   "Good night, darling."

“晚安,亲爱的。”

   "Don't be sentimental."

“不要感伤。”

   "You make me ill."

“你让我恶心。”

   We kissed good night and Brett shivered. "I'd better go," she said. "Good night, darling."

我们亲吻告别,布莱特打了个寒颤。”我最好走了,”她说。”晚安,亲爱的。”

   "You don't have to go."

“你不用走。”

   "Yes."

“是的。”

We kissed again on the stairs and as I called for the cordon the concierge muttered something behind her door. —
我们在楼梯上再次亲吻,当我在外面叫车的时候,门房在她的房门后面嘀咕了一句。 —

I went back upstairs and from the open window watched Brett walking up the street to the big limousine drawn up to the curb under the arc-light. —
我回到楼上,从敞开的窗户看着布莱特走上街,走向停在拱形灯光下路边的大型豪华轿车。 —

She got in and it started off. I turned around. —
她上车,车就启动了。我转过身来。 —

On the table was an empty glass and a glass half-full of brandy and soda. —
桌子上有一个空杯和一个半杯白兰地苏打水。 —

I took them both out to the kitchen and poured the half-full glass down the sink. —
我把它们两个都拿到厨房,把那半杯饮料倒进了水槽里。 —

I turned off the gas in the dining-room, kicked off my slippers sitting on the bed, and got into bed. —
我关掉了餐厅的煤气,踢掉了脚上的拖鞋坐到床上,然后躺下。 —

This was Brett, that I had felt like crying about. —
这就是布莱特,我为她感到想哭。 —

Then I thought of her walking up the street and stepping into the car, as I had last seen her, and of course in a little while I felt like hell again. —
然后我想着她走上街道,踏上车子,就像我最后一次见到她的样子,当然不久之后我又感觉糟透了。 —

It is awfully easy to be hard-boiled about everything in the daytime, but at night it is another thing.
白天对什么都很理智很容易,但到了晚上就不一样了。