At five o’clock I was in the Hotel Crillon waiting for Brett. She was not there, so I sat down and wrote some letters. —
在五点钟,我在克里氏饭店等着布莱特。她不在那里,所以我坐下来写了一些信。 —

They were not very good letters but I hoped their being on Crillon stationery would help them. —
那些信不是很好,但我希望它们用克里氏饭店的信纸会有帮助。 —

Brett did not turn up, so about quarter to six I went down to the bar and had a Jack Rose with George the barman. —
布莱特没有出现,所以大约六点前我下到酒吧,和酒保乔治一起喝了杰克·罗斯鸡尾酒。 —

Brett had not been in the bar either, and so I looked for her up-stairs on my way out, and took a taxi to the Café Select. —
布莱特也没有出现在酒吧,所以我在出门时又去楼上找她,然后坐了辆出租车去塞莱克餐厅。 —

Crossing the Seine I saw a string of barges being towed empty down the current, riding high, the bargemen at the sweeps as they came toward the bridge. —
穿过塞纳河,我看到一串装载着货物的驳船正在被拖着沿着河流下行,驳船离水很高,船工们在橹手柄上操船,他们朝着桥梁驶过来。 —

The river looked nice. It was always pleasant crossing bridges in Paris.
河看起来很美。在巴黎的桥上总是很惬意。

The taxi rounded the statue of the inventor of the semaphore engaged in doing same, and turned up the Boulevard Raspail, and I sat back to let that part of the ride pass. —
出租车绕过发明了信号旗语的雕像,那个人正忙着做同样的事,然后拐向了拉赛帕大道,我坐回去,让这段车程过去。 —

The Boulevard Raspail always made dull riding. —
拉赛帕大道总是让人感到乏味。 —

It was like a certain stretch on the P.L.M. between Fontainebleau and Montereau that always made me feel bored and dead and dull until it was over. —
它就像P.L.M.在讷韦勒和蒙特罗之间的某一段,总是让我感到无聊和沉闷,直到结束。 —

I suppose it is some association of ideas that makes those dead places in a journey. —
我想这可能是旅程中那些死寂地方的某种联想。 —

There are other streets in Paris as ugly as the Boulevard Raspail. —
巴黎有其他一些和拉赛帕大道一样难看的街道。 —

It is a street I do not mind walking down at all. But I cannot stand to ride along it. —
这是一条我根本不介意徒步走下去的街道。但我无法忍受沿着它骑行。 —

Perhaps I had read something about it once. —
也许我曾经读过关于它的某些东西。 —

That was the way Robert Cohn was about all of Paris. I wondered where Cohn got that incapacity to enjoy Paris. Possibly from Mencken. —
罗伯特·科恩对巴黎的所有地方都有这种感觉。我想知道科恩从哪里得到了那种不能享受巴黎的无能。可能来自门肯。 —

Mencken hates Paris, I believe. So many young men get their likes and dislikes from Mencken.
我相信门肯讨厌巴黎。很多年轻人的喜好和厌恶都受门肯的影响。

The taxi stopped in front of the Rotonde. —
出租车停在Rotonde前面。 —

No matter what café in Montparnasse you ask a taxi-driver to bring you to from the right bank of the river, they always take you to the Rotonde. —
无论你要求出租车司机把你从河对岸的右岸带到蒙帕纳斯的哪家咖啡馆,他们总是会把你带到Rotonde。 —

Ten years from now it will probably be the Dome. It was near enough, anyway. —
十年后可能会成为Dome。反正就在附近。 —

I walked past the sad tables of the Rotonde to the Select. —
我走过Rotonde里的几张悲伤的桌子,来到Select。 —

There were a few people inside at the bar, and outside, alone, sat Harvey Stone. He had a pile of saucers in front of him, and he needed a shave.
里面吧台上坐着几个人,外面只有一个人,哈维·斯通独自坐在那里。他面前摞着一堆碟子,需要剃须。

   "Sit down," said Harvey, "I've been looking for you."

“坐下,” 哈维说,”我一直在找你。”

   "What's the matter?"

“怎么了?”

   "Nothing. Just looking for you."

“没什么。只是在找你。”

   "Been out to the races?"

“出去看赛马了吗?”

   "No. Not since Sunday."

“没有。自周日以来就没有去过。”

   "What do you hear from the States?"

“你从美国那边听到什么了吗?”

   "Nothing. Absolutely nothing."

“没有。完全没听到任何消息。”

   "What's the matter?"

“怎么了?”

   "I don't know. I'm through with them. I'm absolutely through with them."

“我不知道。我跟他们断绝关系了。我绝对不再和他们有牵扯。”

   He leaned forward and looked me in the eye.

他向前倾身,直视着我的眼睛。

   "Do you want to know something, Jake?"

“杰克,你想知道点什么吗?”

   "Yes."

“是的。”

   "I haven't had anything to eat for five days."

“我已经五天没吃东西了。”

I figured rapidly back in my mind. —
在脑海中我迅速想起来。 —

It was three days ago that Harvey had won two hundred francs from me shaking poker dice in the New York Bar.
三天前,哈维在纽约酒吧用扑克骰子赢了我两百法郎。

   "What's the matter?"

“怎么了?”

“No money. Money hasn’t come,” he paused. —
“没有钱。钱还没到账,” 他停顿了一下。 —

“I tell you it’s strange, Jake. When I’m like this I just want to be alone. —
“我告诉你,杰克。我这样的时候只想一个人呆着。 —

I want to stay in my own room. I’m like a cat.”
我想呆在自己的房间。我就像只猫。”

   I felt in my pocket.

我伸手进口袋。

   "Would a hundred help you any, Harvey?"

“哈维,一百块对你会有帮助吗?”

   "Yes."

“会的。”

   "Come on. Let's go and eat."

“走吧。我们去吃饭吧。”

   "There's no hurry. Have a drink."

“没什么着急。喝一杯?”

   "Better eat."

“最好还是吃点东西。”

   "No. When I get like this I don't care whether I eat or not."

“不,我这样的时候根本不在乎吃不吃东西。”

   We had a drink. Harvey added my saucer to his own pile.

我们喝了一杯。哈维又把我的杯子加到了他的堆里。

   "Do you know Mencken, Harvey?"

“哈维,你认识门肯吗?”

   "Yes. Why?"

“认识。怎么了?”

   "What's he like?"

“他是什么样子的人?”

“He’s all right. He says some pretty funny things. —
“他还行。说些挺有趣的事情。 —

Last time I had dinner with him we talked about Hoffenheimer. —
我上次和他一起吃晚餐的时候我们谈论了霍芬海默。” —

‘The trouble is,’ he said, ‘he’s a garter snapper.’ That’s not bad.”
“问题在于,”他说,“他是一个吹牛者。这还不算坏。”

   "That's not bad."

“这还不算坏。”

“He’s through now,” Harvey went on. —
“他结束了,”哈维继续说。 —

“He’s written about all the things he knows, and now he’s on all the things he doesn’t know.”
“他已经写了所有他知道的东西,现在开始写他不知道的东西。”

   "I guess he's all right," I said. "I just can't read him."

“我猜他还可以,”我说。“我就是读不懂他。”

   "Oh, nobody reads him now," Harvey said, "except the people that used to read the Alexander Hamilton Institute."

“噢,现在没有人读他了,”哈维说,“除了以前读亚历山大·汉密尔顿学院的人。”

   "Well," I said. "That was a good thing, too."

“是的,”我说。“那也是个好事。”

   "Sure," said Harvey. So we sat and thought deeply for a while.

“当然,”哈维说。于是我们坐下来仔细思考了一会儿。

   "Have another port?"

“再来一杯波尔图酒吗?”

   "All right," said Harvey.

“好的,”哈维说。

   "There comes Cohn," I said. Robert Cohn was crossing the street.

“科恩来了,”我说。罗伯特·科恩正穿过街道。

   "That moron," said Harvey. Cohn came up to our table.

“那个白痴,”哈维说。科恩走到我们桌子前。

   "Hello, you bums," he said.

“嘿,你们这两个混蛋,”他说。

   "Hello, Robert," Harvey said. "I was just telling Jake here that you're a moron."

“你好,罗伯特,”哈维说。“我刚告诉杰克,你是个白痴。”

   "What do you mean?"

“你什么意思?”

   "Tell us right off. Don't think. What would you rather do if you could do anything you wanted?"

直接告诉我们。不要思考。如果你可以做任何你想做的事情,你宁可做什么?

   Cohn started to consider.

柯恩开始考虑

   "Don't think. Bring it right out."

不要想。直接说出来

   "I don't know," Cohn said. "What's it all about, anyway?"

“我不知道,”柯恩说。“这到底是怎么回事呢?”

“I mean what would you rather do. What comes into your head first. —
“我的意思是你宁可做什么。你脑海中首先想到的是什么。 —

No matter how silly it is.”
不管多么愚蠢。”

   "I don't know," Cohn said. "I think I'd rather play football again with what I know about handling myself, now."

“我不知道,”柯恩说。“我想我宁可用我现在知道的自己再次踢足球。”

“I misjudged you,” Harvey said. “You’re not a moron. —
“我误会你了,哈维,”哈维说。“你不是一个白痴。 —

You’re only a case of arrested development.”
你只是个发育不良的病例。”

   "You're awfully funny, Harvey," Cohn said. "Some day somebody will push your face in."

“你真搞笑,哈维,”柯恩说。“总有一天会有人把你的脸打烂。”

Harvey Stone laughed. “You think so. They won’t, though. —
哈维·斯通笑了。“你认为会这样。不过他们不会,. —

Because it wouldn’t make any difference to me. —
因为对我来说没有什么影响。 —

I’m not a fighter.”
我不是一个斗士。”

   "It would make a difference to you if anybody did it."

“如果有人这样做对你会有影响。”

   "No, it wouldn't. That's where you make your big mistake. Because you're not intelligent."

“不,不会的。这就是你犯的大错。因为你不够聪明。”

   "Cut it out about me."

“别再谈论我了。”

   "Sure," said Harvey. "It doesn't make any difference to me. You don't mean anything to me."

“当然,”哈维说。“对我来说没什么影响。你在我心中毫无意义。”

   "Come on, Harvey," I said. "Have another porto."

“来吧,哈维,”我说。“再来一杯波尔图酒吧。”

   "No," he said. "I'm going up the street and eat. See you later, Jake."

“不,”他说。“我要去街上吃饭。待会见,杰克。”

   He walked out and up the street. I watched him crossing the street through the taxis, small, heavy, slowly sure of himself in the traffic.

他走出去,沿着街道走去。我看着他穿过出租车穿过街道,他小巧、沉稳、在交通中自信地走着。

   "He always gets me sore," Cohn said. "I can't stand him."

“他总是惹我生气,” 科恩说。“我受不了他。”

   "I like him," I said. "I'm fond of him. You don't want to get sore at him."

“我喜欢他,”我说。“我喜欢他。你不要对他生气。”

   "I know it," Cohn said. "He just gets on my nerves."

“我明白,” 科恩说。“他只是让我感到恼火。”

   "Write this afternoon?"

“今天下午写吗?”

“No. I couldn’t get it going. It’s harder to do than my first book. —
“不,我写不下去。比起我的第一本书要难得多。 —

I’m having a hard time handling it.”
我很难应付。”

The sort of healthy conceit that he had when he returned from America early in the spring was gone. —
他早春从美国回来时的那种健康自负已消失。 —

Then he had been sure of his work, only with these personal longings for adventure. —
那时他对自己的工作很有把握,只是有了一些对冒险的个人渴望。 —

Now the sureness was gone. Somehow I feel I have not shown Robert Cohn clearly. —
现在这份把握不在了。我总觉得我没有清楚地展示罗伯特·科恩。 —

The reason is that until he fell in love with Brett, I never heard him make one remark that would, in any way, detach him from other people. —
原因是,直到他爱上布莱特之前,我从未听他说过一句话能在任何方面让他脱离其他人。 —

He was nice to watch on the tennis-court, he had a good body, and he kept it in shape; —
在网球场上看他很不错,他身材匀称且保持良好; —

he handled his cards well at bridge, and he had a funny sort of undergraduate quality about him. —
他在桥牌上打得很好,而且他有一种有趣的大学生气质。 —

If he were in a crowd nothing he said stood out. —
如果他身处人群中,他说的任何话都不会脱颖而出。 —

He wore what used to be called polo shirts at school, and may be called that still, but he was not professionally youthful. —
他穿着在学校时被称为马球衫的衣服,或许现在还叫这个,但他并不是专业的年轻人。 —

I do not believe he thought about his clothes much. Externally he had been formed at Prii1ceton. —
我认为他并没有太在意他的衣服。外表上,他是在普林斯顿塑造的。 —

Internally he had been moulded by the two women who had trained him. —
内心深处,他是被两个培养他的女人塑造的。 —

He had a nice, boyish sort of cheerfulness that had never been trained out of him, and I probably have not brought it out. —
他有一种可爱的、少年般的愉快气质,这种气质从未被教导除去,我可能也没有展示出来。 —

He loved to win at tennis. He probably loved to win as much as Lenglen, for instance. —
他热爱在网球比赛中获胜。他可能和朗格朗一样喜欢获胜。 —

On the other hand, he was not angry at being beaten. —
另一方面,他并不生气被打败。 —

When he fell in love with Brett his tennis game went all to pieces. —
当他爱上布雷特时,他的网球比赛变得一团糟。 —

People beat him who had never had a chance with him. He was very nice about it.
有些人打败了他,这些人以前从未有机会击败他。他非常友善。

   Anyhow, we were sitting on the terrace of the Café Select, and Harvey Stone had just crossed the street.

无论如何,我们当时正坐在咖啡厅的露台上,哈维·斯通刚过马路。

   "Come on up to the Lilas," I said.

“来上利古斯吧,”我说。

   "I have a date."

“我有个约会。

   "What time?"

“几点?

   "Frances is coming here at seven-fifteen."

“弗朗西斯七点十五分过来这里。

   "There she is."

“她来了。”

Frances Clyne was coming toward us from across the street. —
弗朗西丝·克莱恩正从马路对面朝我们走来。 —

She was a very tall girl who walked with a great deal of movement. —
她是一个身材很高的女孩,走路时有很多动作。 —

She waved and smiled. We watched her cross the street.
她挥手微笑着。我们看着她过马路。

   "Hello," she said, "I'm so glad you're here, Jake. I've been wanting to talk to you."

“你好,”她说,”杰克,我很高兴你在这里。我一直想和你聊聊。”

   "Hello, Frances," said Cohn. He smiled.

“你好,弗朗西斯,” 科恩说。他微笑。

“Why, hello, Robert. Are you here?” She went on, talking rapidly. —
“你好,罗伯特。你在这里吗?”她继续说着,语速很快。 —

“I’ve had the darndest time. This one”–shaking her head at Cohn–“didn’t come home for lunch.”
“我遇到了麻烦。这位” -她摇摇头看着科恩- “午饭没回家。”

   "I wasn't supposed to."

“我本来不打算回家。”

“Oh, I know. But you didn’t say anything about it to the cook. —
“哦,我知道。但你没告诉厨师。 —

Then I had a date myself, and Paula wasn’t at her office. —
然后我自己有个约会,保拉不在她的办公室。 —

I went to the Ritz and waited for her, and she never came, and of course I didn’t have enough money to lunch at the Ritz–”
我去了丽兹饭店等她,她没来,当然我没带足够的钱在丽兹饭店吃午饭 —”

   "What did you do?"

“你怎么办?”

“Oh, went out, of course.” She spoke in a sort of imitation joyful manner. —
“哦,当然出去了。”她用一种模仿快乐的口吻说道。 —

“I always keep my appointments. No one keeps theirs, nowadays. —
“我始终守时。如今没有人再守时了。 —

I ought to know better. How are you, Jake, anyway?”
我应该学习得更好。杰克,你最近怎么样?”

   "Fine."

“很好。”

   "That was a fine girl you had at the dance, and then went off with that Brett one."

“你在舞会上找的那个女孩很好,然后就跟那个布雷特走了。”

   "Don't you like her?" Cohn asked.

“你不喜欢她吗?”科恩问道。

   "I think she's perfectly charming. Don't you?"

她很有魅力。你不这么认为吗?”

   Cohn said nothing.

科恩什么也没说。

“Look, Jake. I want to talk with you. —
“看,杰克。我想和你谈谈。 —

Would you come over with me to the Dome? —
“你能跟我一起去圆顶吗? —

You’ll stay here, won’t you, Robert? Come on, Jake.”
“罗伯特,你留在这里,好吗? 杰克,过来。”

We crossed the Boulevard Montparnasse and sat down at a table. —
我们穿过蒙帕纳斯大道,坐在一张桌子旁。 —

A boy came up with the Paris Times, and I bought one and opened it.
一个男孩走过来拿着《巴黎时报》,我买了一份打开。

   "What's the matter, Frances?"

“弗朗西斯,怎么了?”

   "Oh, nothing," she said, "except that he wants to leave me."

“哦,没什么,”她说,“除了他想离开我。”

   "How do you mean?"

“你是什么意思?”

   "Oh, he told every one that we were going to be married, and I told my mother and every one, and now he doesn't want to do it."

“哦,他告诉所有人我们要结婚了,我告诉我妈妈和所有人,现在他不想了。”

   "What's the matter?"

“怎么了?”

   "He's decided he hasn't lived enough. I knew it would happen when he went to New York."

“他觉得自己还没玩够。我知道他去纽约会发生这种事。”

   She looked up, very bright-eyed and trying to talk inconsequentially.

她抬起头,眼睛很明亮,试图闲聊。

“I wouldn’t marry him if he doesn’t want to. Of course I wouldn’t. —
“如果他不想的话,我就不会嫁给他。当然我不会。 —

I wouldn’t marry him now for anything. But it does seem to me to be a little late now, after we’ve waited three years, and I’ve just gotten my divorce.”
现在我什么都不会嫁给他。但是现在似乎有点太晚了,等了三年之后,我刚刚离婚。”

   I said nothing.

我什么都没说。”

“We were going to celebrate so, and instead we’ve just had scenes. It’s so childish. —
“我们本来要庆祝的,结果却闹成这样。太幼稚了。 —

We have dreadful scenes, and he cries and begs me to be reasonable, but he says he just can’t do it.”
“我们吵得很厉害,他哭着求我冷静点,但他说他真的无法做到。”

   "It's rotten luck."

“真是倒霉。”

“I should say it is rotten luck. I’ve wasted two years and a half on him now. —
“我要说真是倒霉。我浪费了两年半的时间在他身上。 —

And I don’t know now if any man will ever want to marry me. —
现在我不知道是否还会有人想要娶我。 —

Two years ago I could have married anybody I wanted, down at Cannes. —
两年前我在康城的时候,我可以嫁给任何我想要的人。 —

All the old ones that wanted to marry somebody chic and settle down were crazy about me. —
那些想要找个时髦的对象定居下来的老男人都疯狂地喜欢我。 —

Now I don’t think I could get anybody.”
现在我觉得我可能嫁不出去了。”

   "Sure, you could marry anybody."

“当然,你可以嫁给任何人。”

“No, I don’t believe it. And I’m fond of him, too. —
“不,我不相信。而且,我也很钟情于他。 —

And I’d like to have children. I always thought we’d have children.”
我想要孩子。我一直以为我们会有孩子的。”

She looked at me very brightly. “I never liked children much, but I don’t want to think I’ll never have them. —
她看着我很明亮地说:”我从来不太喜欢孩子,但我不想认为我永远不会有他们。 —

I always thought I’d have them and then like them.”
我一直以为我会有孩子,然后喜欢他们。”

   "He's got children."

“他已经有孩子了。”

“Oh, yes. He’s got children, and he’s got money, and he’s got a rich mother, and he’s written a book, and nobody will publish my stuff, nobody at all. —
“噢,是的。他有孩子,他有钱,他有一个富有的母亲,他写了一本书,而没有人愿意出版我的东西,完全没有人。” —

It isn’t bad, either. And I haven’t got any money at all. —
这也不算糟糕。我一点钱都没有。 —

I could have had alimony, but I got the divorce the quickest way.”
我本来可以得到赡养费的,但我选择了最快的离婚方式。

   She looked at me again very brightly.

她又很亮地看着我。

“It isn’t right. It’s my own fault and it’s not, too. I ought to have known better. —
这不对。这都是我的错,但也不全是。我应该知道得更清楚。 —

And when I tell him he just cries and says he can’t marry. Why can’t he marry? —
我告诉他时他只会哭着说不能结婚。他为什么不能结婚? —

I’d be a good wife. I’m easy to get along with. —
我会是一个好妻子。我很好相处。 —

I leave him alone. It doesn’t do any good.”
我会离开他。但这没有任何帮助。

   "It's a rotten shame."

这真是太可惜了。

“Yes, it is a rotten shame. But there’s no use talking about it, is there? —
是的,这真是太可惜了。但再谈下去也没有用对吧? —

Come on, let’s go back to the café.”
来吧,我们回咖啡馆去吧。

   "And of course there isn't anything I can do."

当然我也无能为力。

“No. Just don’t let him know I talked to you. I know what he wants.” —
是的。只是不要让他知道我和你谈过。我知道他想要什么。 —

Now for the first time she dropped her bright, terribly cheerful manner. —
现在她第一次放下了她的明亮、极度愉快的态度。 —

“He wants to go back to New York alone, and be there when his book comes out so when a lot of little chickens like it. —
他想一个人回纽约,等着他的书上市,希望有很多小鸡们喜欢。 —

That’s what he wants.”
这就是他想要的。

   "Maybe they won't like it. I don't think he's that way. Really."

也许他们不会喜欢。我觉得他不是那种人。真的。

“You don’t know him like I do, Jake. That’s what he wants to do. I know it. I know it. —
“你不了解他像我了解他,杰克。那是他想要的。我知道。我知道。 —

That’s why he doesn’t want to marry. He wants to have a big triumph this fall all by himself.”
这就是为什么他不想结婚。他想在这个秋天独自取得一次大胜利。

   "Want to go back to the café?"

“要回咖啡馆吗?

   "Yes. Come on."

“是的。走吧。

   We got up from the table--they had never brought us a drink-- and started across the street toward the Select, where Cohn sat smiling at us from behind the marble-topped table.

我们站起身来—他们从未给我们端过酒—朝对面的Select走去,Cohn从大理石桌后面朝我们微笑。

   "Well, what are you smiling at?" Frances asked him. "Feel pretty happy?"

“你在笑什么?弗朗西丝问他。“感觉很开心吗?

   "I was smiling at you and Jake with your secrets."

“我笑的是你和杰克带着你们的秘密。

“Oh, what I’ve told Jake isn’t any secret. —
“哦,我告诉杰克的并不是什么秘密。 —

Everybody will know it soon enough. I only wanted to give Jake a decent version.”
很快大家都会知道的。我只是想给杰克一个体面的版本。

   "What was it? About your going to England?"

“是关于你去英格兰的事情吗?

   "Yes, about my going to England. Oh, Jake! I forgot to tell you. I'm going to England."

“是的,关于我去英格兰。哦,杰克!我忘了告诉你。我要去英格兰。

   "Isn't that fine!"

“那太好了!

“Yes, that’s the way it’s done in the very best families. Robert’s sending me. —
“是的,在最好的家庭里就是这样的做法。罗伯特要给我两百镑,然后我就要去拜访朋友。 —

He’s going to give me two hundred pounds and then I’m going to visit friends. —
“是他要给我的。” —

Won’t it be lovely? The friends don’t know about it, yet.”
难道不是很可爱吗?朋友们还不知道呢。

   She turned to Cohn and smiled at him. He was not smiling now.

她转身对科恩微笑。此时他并没有微笑。

“You were only going to give me a hundred pounds, weren’t you, Robert? —
“你本来只要给我一百英镑,是这样吗,罗伯特? —

But I made him give me two hundred. He’s really very generous. —
但我让他给了我两百。他真的非常慷慨。 —

Aren’t you, Robert?”
罗伯特,不是吗?

I do not know how people could say such terrible things to Robert Cohn. There are people to whom you could not say insulting things. —
我不明白人们怎么能对罗伯特·科恩说出这种可怕的话。有些人你不能说侮辱性的话。 —

They give you a feeling that the world would be destroyed, would actually be destroyed before your eyes, if you said certain things. —
他们讦你说出某些话,就觉得整个世界会在你眼前被毁灭,实际上会被摧毁。 —

But here was Cohn taking it all. Here it was, all going on right before me, and I did not even feel an impulse to try and stop it. —
但是这里就发生了这一切。在我面前正在发生的一切,我甚至都没有冲动去阻止它。 —

And this was friendly joking to what went on later.
而这只是和后来发生的事相比算是友好的玩笑。

   "How can you say such things, Frances?" Cohn interrupted.

“弗朗西斯,你怎么能说出这种话呢?”科恩打断道。

“Listen to him. I’m going to England. I’m going to visit friends. —
“听他的。我要去英格兰。我要去拜访朋友。 —

Ever visit friends that didn’t want you? Oh, they’ll have to take me, all right. —
拜访过朋友他们其实不想要你吗?哦,他们肯定要接纳我。 —

‘How do you do, my dear? Such a long time since we’ve seen you. And how is your dear mother?’ —
‘你好,亲爱的。我们已经好长时间没见到你了。你的母亲好吗?’ —

Yes, how is my dear mother? She put all her money into French war bonds. Yes, she did. —
是的,我亲爱的母亲怎么样了呢?她把所有的钱都投资到了法国战争债券。是的,她这么做了。 —

Probably the only person in the world that did. ‘And what about Robert?’ —
‘罗伯特怎么样了?’ —

or else very careful talking around Robert. ‘You must be most careful not to mention him, my dear. —
要不然就要在罗伯特面前非常小心谨慎说话。’你必须非常小心,亲爱的,不要提起他。 —

Poor Frances has had a most unfortunate experience.’ —
可怜的弗朗西斯遇到了一次非常不幸的经历。 —

Won’t it be fun, Robert? Don’t you think it will be fun, Jake?”
罗伯特,这会很有趣吧?杰克,你觉得会很有趣吗?”

She turned to me with that terribly bright smile. —
她带着那种非常灿烂的微笑转向我。 —

It was very satisfactory to her to have an audience for this.
能有人听她说这些,她感到非常满足。

“And where are you going to be, Robert? It’s my own fault, all right. Perfectly my own fault. —
“那你要去哪里呢,罗伯特?好吧,完全是我的错。完全是我的错。 —

When I made you get rid of your little secretary on the magazine I ought to have known you’d get rid of me the same way. —
当我让你解雇了杂志上的小秘书时,我就应该知道你也会同样解雇我。 —

Jake doesn’t know about that. Should I tell him?”
杰克不知道这件事。我应该告诉他吗?”

   "Shut up, Frances, for God's sake."

“弗朗西斯,天啊,闭嘴吧。”

“Yes, I’ll tell him. Robert had a little secretary on the magazine. —
“是的,我会告诉他。罗伯特在杂志上有一个小秘书。 —

Just the sweetest little thing in the world, and he thought she was wonderful, and then I came along and he thought I was pretty wonderful, too. —
那个世界上最可爱的小东西,他觉得她很棒,后来我出现了,他也觉得我很出色。 —

So I made him get rid of her, and he had brought her to Provincetown from Carmel when he moved the magazine, and he didn’t even pay her fare back to the coast. —
所以我让他解雇了她,当他搬迁杂志从卡梅尔到普罗温斯敦时,他连她返回海岸的费用都没有付。 —

All to please me. He thought I was pretty fine, then. —
全为了讨好我。那时他觉得我很不错。 —

Didn’t you, Robert?
是吗,罗伯特?

“You mustn’t misunderstand, Jake, it was absolutely platonic with the secretary. —
“杰克,你不要误会,那和秘书完全是纯友谊的关系。 —

Not even platonic. Nothing at all, really. It was just that she was so nice. —
不是纯友谊。根本不是,真的。只是因为她太好了。 —

And he did that just to please me. Well, I suppose that we that live by the sword shall perish by the sword. —
他这么做只是为了取悦我。嗯,我想我们活在刀尖上,也会死于刀下。 —

Isn’t that literary, though? You want to remember that for your next book, Robert.
不是那种文学意义上的吧?你要记下来,为你下本书,罗伯特。

“You know Robert is going to get material for a new book. Aren’t you, Robert? —
“你知道罗伯特要找素材写新书了。是吧,罗伯特? —

That’s why he’s leaving me. He’s decided I don’t film well. —
这就是为什么他要离开我。他觉得我拍摄效果不好。 —

You see, he was so busy all the time that we were living together, writing on this book, that he doesn’t remember anything about us. —
你看,我们在一起的时候他总是那么忙,写着这本书,所以他记不住我们之间的任何事情。 —

So now he’s going out and get some new material. —
所以现在他出去找一些新素材。 —

Well, I hope he gets something frightfully interesting.
嗯,我希望他找到一些非常有趣的。

“Listen, Robert, dear. Let me tell you something. You won’t mind, will you? —
“听着,罗伯特,亲爱的。让我告诉你一些事情。你不会介意,对吧? —

Don’t have scenes with your young ladies. Try not to. —
不要和你的年轻女士发生争吵。尽量避免。 —

Because you can’t have scenes without crying, and then you pity yourself so much you can’t remember what the other person’s said. —
因为你不能有争吵而不哭泣,然后你会对自己太过怜悯,以至于记不住对方说了什么。 —

You’ll never be able to remember any conversations that way. Just try and be calm. —
这样你永远记不住任何对话。试着保持冷静。 —

I know it’s awfully hard. But remember, it’s for literature. —
我知道这很困难。但记住,这是为了文学。 —

We all ought to make sacrifices for literature. Look at me. I’m going to England without a protest. —
我们都应该为文学做出牺牲。看看我。我要毫无抱怨地去英格兰。 —

All for literature. We must all help young writers. Don’t you think so, Jake? —
一切都是为了文学。我们都必须帮助年轻作家。你不觉得吗,杰克? —

But you’re not a young writer. Are you, Robert? You’re thirty-four. —
但你不是年轻作家。罗伯特,你已经三十四岁了。 —

Still, I suppose that is young for a great writer. Look at Hardy. Look at Anatole France. —
不过,我想对于一位伟大作家来说这还是年轻的。看哈代,看安纳托尔·法郎斯。 —

He just died a little while ago. Robert doesn’t think he’s any good, though. —
他不久前去世了。罗伯特觉得他写得不好。 —

Some of his French friends told him. He doesn’t read French very well himself. —
他的一些法国朋友告诉他的。他自己法文读得不太好。 —

He wasn’t a good writer like you are, was he, Robert? —
他不像你一样是一位优秀作家,对吧,罗伯特? —

Do you think he ever had to go and look for material? —
你认为他曾经为寻找素材而苦恼吗? —

What do you suppose he said to his mistresses when he wouldn’t marry them? —
你想他当他不愿意娶她们时会说什么? —

I wonder if he cried, too? Oh, I’ve just thought of something.” —
我想知道他会不会流泪?哦,我突然想到了一件事。 —

She put her gloved hand up to her lips. “I know the real reason why Robert won’t marry me, Jake. It’s just come to me. —
她用手套覆盖着的手掩住了嘴。”我知道罗伯特不愿娶我的真正原因,杰克。我刚在Café Select里看到了。 —

They’ve sent it to me in a vision in the Café Select. Isn’t it mystic? —
他们通过灵感传递给我。这不神秘吗? —

Some day they’ll put a tablet up. Like at Lourdes. Do you want to hear, Robert? I’ll tell you. —
总有一天他们会立一块牌匾。就像在劳德圣地一样。你想知道吗,罗伯特?我告诉你。 —

It’s so simple. I wonder why I never thought about it. —
这太简单了。我惊讶为什么我之前没有想到。 —

Why, you see, Robert’s always wanted to have a mistress, and if he doesn’t marry me, why, then he’s had one. —
你看,罗伯特一直想有一个情妇。如果他不娶我,那么他已经有过一个了。 —

She was his mistress for over two years. See how it is? —
她是他的情妇已经有两年多了。明白了吧? —

And if he marries me, like he’s always promised he would, that would be the end of all the romance. —
如果他娶了我,像他一直答应过的那样,那一切浪漫都将终结。 —

Don’t you think that’s bright of me to figure that out? It’s true, too. —
你不觉得我找出来很厉害吗?这也是真的。 —

Look at him and see if it’s not. Where are you going, Jake?”
看看他,你觉得呢?杰克,你去哪里?

   "I've got to go in and see Harvey Stone a minute."

“我得进去看看哈维·斯通。”

Cohn looked up as I went in. His face was white. —
科恩抬头看着我进去。他的脸色苍白。 —

Why did he sit there? Why did he keep on taking it like that?
他为什么坐在那里?为什么他还是忍受着?

As I stood against the bar looking out I could see them through the window. —
当我站在酒吧看着外面时,透过窗子看到了他们。 —

Frances was talking on to him, smiling brightly, looking into his face each time she asked: —
弗朗西丝一直在跟他说话,灿烂地笑着,每次问他时都看着他的脸: —

“Isn’t it so, Robert?” Or maybe she did not ask that now. Perhaps she said something else. —
“罗伯特,是不是这样?”或者也许此时她说了别的什么。 —

I told the barman I did not want anything to drink and went out through the side door. —
我告诉酒保我不想喝什么,然后穿过侧门出去了。 —

As I went out the door I looked back through the two thicknesses of glass and saw them sitting there. —
当我走出门时,透过两层玻璃回头看到他们还坐在那里。 —

She was still talking to him. I went down a side street to the Boulevard Raspail. —
她还在跟他说话。我沿着一个小巷走到了罗斯帕依大道。 —

A taxi came along and I got in and gave the driver the address of my flat.
一辆出租车经过,我上了车,告诉司机我的公寓地址。