As I started up the stairs the concierge knocked on the glass of the door of her lodge, and as I stopped she came out. —
当我走上楼梯时,礼宾员敲了敲她住处的玻璃门,当我停下来时,她走了出来。 —

She had some letters and a telegram.
她拿着一些信件和一份电报。

   "Here is the post. And there was a lady here to see you."

“这是邮件。还有一个女士来找你了。”

   "Did she leave a card?"

“她留下名片了吗?”

“No. She was with a gentleman. It was the one who was here last night. —
“没有。她和一个绅士在一起。就是昨晚在这里的那位。 —

In the end I find she is very nice.”
最后我发现她非常友好。

   "Was she with a friend of mine?"

“她和我的一个朋友在一起吗?”

“I don’t know. He was never here before. He was very large. Very, very large. —
“我不知道。他之前从未来过。他很高大。非常非常高大。 —

She was very nice. Very, very nice. Last night she was, perhaps, a little–” She put her head on one hand and rocked it up and down. —
她非常友好。非常非常友好。昨晚,她也许有点–” 她用一只手支起头,上下摇摆。 —

“I’ll speak perfectly frankly, Monsieur Barnes. Last night I found her not so gentille. —
“我要非常坦率地告诉你,巴恩斯先生。昨晚我觉得她不那么温柔。 —

Last night I formed another idea of her. But listen to what I tell you. —
昨晚我对她产生了另一个看法。但请听我告诉你。 —

She is très, très gentille. She is of very good family. —
她非常非常温柔。她家世很好。 —

It is a thing you can see.”
这是你能看得出来的事实。”

   "They did not leave any word?"

“他们没有留下任何话吗?”

   "Yes. They said they would be back in an hour."

“有的。他们说会在一个小时后回来。”

   "Send them up when they come."

“等他们来了再送他们上去。”

“Yes, Monsieur Barnes. And that lady, that lady there is some one. —
“是的,巴恩斯先生。那位女士,那位女士是有身份的人。” —

An eccentric, perhaps, but quelqu’une, quelqu’une!”
“或许是个古怪的人,但是一个特别的人,一个特别的人!”

The concierge, before she became a concierge, had owned a drink-selling concession at the Paris race-courses. —
在成为看门人之前,这位门房曾在巴黎的赛马场经营过酒水摊。 —

Her life-work lay in the pelouse, but she kept an eye on the people of the pesage, and she took great pride in telling me which of my guests were well brought up, which were of good family, who were sportsmen, a French word pronounced with the accent on the men. —
她的生活重心在草坪上,但她也会留意看台的人们,并且很自豪地告诉我,哪些客人教养良好,哪些出身名门望族,谁是运动爱好者,这个法语词发音时强调在“men”上。 —

The only trouble was that people who did not fall into any of those three categories were very liable to be told there was no one home, chez Barnes. —
唯一的麻烦是,那些不属于以上三类的人很容易被告知巴恩斯家里没有人。 —

One of my friends, an extremely underfed-looking painter, who was obviously to Madame Duzinell neither well brought up, of good family, nor a sportsman, wrote me a letter asking if I could get him a pass to get by the concierge so he could come up and see me occasionally in the evenings.
我的一位朋友,一个看起来明显营养不良的画家,显然在迪兹内尔夫人看来既不是有教养,出身名门,也不是运动爱好者,写信给我,问能否给他一张通行证,让他能越过门房来我家晚上看我。

I went up to the flat wondering what Brett had done to the concierge. —
我上楼去时在猜想布雷特对门房做了什么。 —

The wire was a cable from Bill Gorton, saying he was arriving on the France. —
电报是比尔·戈顿寄来的,说他正在乘坐“法国号”轮船正前往。 —

I put the mail on the table, went back to the bedroom, undressed and had a shower. —
我把邮件放在桌子上,回到卧室,脱掉衣服并淋了个澡。 —

I was rubbing down when I heard the door-bell pull. —
我擦身时听到门铃响了。 —

I put on a bathrobe and slippers and went to the door. —
我穿上浴袍和拖鞋,走向门口。 —

It was Brett. Back of her was the count. —
布雷特站在门外,身后是伯爵。 —

He was holding a great bunch of roses.
他手里拿着一大束玫瑰花。

   "Hello, darling," said Brett. "Aren't you going to let us in?"

“你好,亲爱的,” 布雷特说。“你不准备让我们进去吗?”

   "Come on. I was just bathing."

“快点。我只是在洗澡而已。”

   "Aren't you the fortunate man. Bathing."

“你真是个幸运的人。洗澡。”

   "Only a shower. Sit down, Count Mippipopolous. What will you drink?"

“只是洗了个澡。坐下吧,米皮波洛斯伯爵。你想喝点什么?”

   "I don't know whether you like flowers, sir," the count said, "but I took the liberty of just bringing these roses."

“先生,我不知道你是否喜欢花,”伯爵说道,“但我冒昧带来了这些玫瑰花。”

“Here, give them to me.” Brett took them. —
“拿过来,给我。” 布莱特接过花。 —

“Get me some water in this, Jake.” I filled the big earthenware jug with water in the kitchen, and Brett put the roses in it, and placed them in the centre of the dining-room table.
“杰克,给我个容器装水。”我在厨房里将大块陶制瓶子灌满水,布莱特把花放进去,然后将它们放在餐桌中央。

   "I say. We have had a day."

“我说,我们度过了不错的一天。”

   "You don't remember anything about a date with me at the Crillon?"

“你不记得我们在克里昂饭店约会了吗?”

   "No. Did we have one? I must have been blind."

“没有吗?我们有过吗?我一定是瞎了。”

   "You were quite drunk, my dear," said the count.

“你喝得醉醺醺的,亲爱的,”伯爵说道。

   "Wasn't I, though? And the count's been a brick, absolutely."

“是的,真是够呛。而伯爵实在太友好了。”

   "You've got hell's own drag with the concierge now."

“你现在跟看门人可麻烦大了呢。”

   "I ought to have. Gave her two hundred francs."

“我应该有的。给了她两百法郎。”

   "Don't be a damned fool."

“别这么愚蠢。”

   "His," she said, and nodded at the count.

“他的,”她说着,对着伯爵点了点头。

   "I thought we ought to give her a little something for last night. It was very late."

“我觉得我们应该给她点小礼物以感谢她昨晚在很晚的时候还待在那里。”

   "He's wonderful," Brett said. "He remembers everything that's happened."

“他太棒了,”布雷特说。“他记得每一件事情发生过的。”

   "So do you, my dear."

“亲爱的,你也是的。”

   "Fancy," said Brett. "Who'd want to? I say, Jake, do we get a drink?"

“奇怪,”布雷特说。“谁想去呢?我说,杰克,我们去喝一杯吗?”

   "You get it while I go in and dress. You know where it is."

“你去拿酒,我去换衣服。你知道在哪里。”

   "Rather."

“当然。”

While I dressed I heard Brett put down glasses and then a siphon, and then heard them talking. I dressed slowly, sitting on the bed. —
我穿衣服的时候听到布雷特放下杯子,然后听到一瓶汽水,然后听到他们在谈话。我慢慢地穿好衣服,坐在床上。 —

I felt tired and pretty rotten. Brett came in the room, a glass in her hand, and sat on the bed.
我感觉疲倦而且挺糟糕的。布雷特走进房间,手里拿着杯子,坐在床上。

   "What's the matter, darling? Do you feel rocky?"

“怎么了,亲爱的?你感觉不舒服吗?”

   She kissed me coolly on the forehead.

她冷冷地在我额头上亲了一口。

   "Oh, Brett, I love you so much."

“哦,布雷特,我爱你太多了。”

   "Darling," she said. Then: "Do you want me to send him away?"

“亲爱的,”她说。“那你想让我把他打发走吗?”

   "No. He's nice."

“不。他人很好。”

   "I'll send him away."

“我会把他送走的。”

   "No, don't."

“不,别。”

   "Yes, I'll send him away."

“是的,我会把他打发走。”

   "You can't just like that."

“你不可以就这样做。”

   "Can't I, though? You stay here. He's mad about me, I tell you."

“我难道不能吗?你留在这里。他对我疯狂了,我告诉你。”

She was gone out of the room. I lay face down on the bed. I was having a bad time. —
她已经离开了房间。我躺在床上,面朝下。我感觉很糟糕。 —

I heard them talking but I did not listen. —
我听到他们在谈话,但我没有在听。 —

Brett came in and sat on the bed.
布莱特走进来,坐在床上。

   "Poor old darling." She stroked my head.

“可怜的老宝贝。”她轻抚着我的头。

   "What did you say to him?" I was lying with my face away from her. I did not want to see her.

“你对他说了什么?”我侧着脸躺着,不想看她。

   "Sent him for champagne. He loves to go for champagne."

“让他去拿香槟。他喜欢去拿香槟。”

   Then later: "Do you feel better, darling? Is the head any better?"

后来: “宝贝,感觉好些了吗?头痛好些了吗?”

   "It's better."

“好些了。”

   "Lie quiet. He's gone to the other side of town."

“静静地躺着。他去了镇的另一边。”

   "Couldn't we live together, Brett? Couldn't we just live together?"

“我们能不能住在一起,布莱特?我们能不能只是住在一起?”

   "I don't think so. I'd just _tromper_ you with everybody. You couldn't stand it."

“我觉得不行。我会和每个人在一起,你受不了。”

   "I stand it now."

“我现在就受得了。”

   "That would be different. It's my fault, Jake. It's the way I'm made."

“那将是不同的。这是我的错,杰克。这是我天生的方式。”

   "Couldn't we go off in the country for a while?"

“我们能不能去乡下一段时间?”

“It wouldn’t be any good. I’ll go if you like. —
“没用的。如果你愿意,我会去。” —

But I couldn’t live quietly in the country. —
“但我无法在乡下安静地生活。” —

Not with my own true love.”
“不和我真正爱的人在一起。”

   "I know."

“我知道。”

   "Isn't it rotten? There isn't any use my telling you I love you."

“这不是糟糕吗?告诉你我爱你也毫无意义。”

   "You know I love you."

“你知道我爱你。”

“Let’s not talk. Talking’s all bilge. —
“别说了。说来说去都是废话。 —

I’m going away from you, and then Michael’s coming back.”
我要离开你,然后迈克尔会回来。”

   "Why are you going away?"

“你为什么要离开?”

   "Better for you. Better for me."

“对你更好。对我更好。”

   "When are you going?"

“你什么时候走?”

   "Soon as I can."

“一旦我能的时候。”

   "Where?"

“去哪里?”

   "San Sebastian."

“圣塞巴斯蒂安。”

   "Can't we go together?"

“我们不能一起去吗?”

   "No. That would be a hell of an idea after we'd just talked it out."

“不行。我们刚刚谈过这个问题,这样做实在是个糟糕的主意。”

   "We never agreed."

“我们并没有达成一致意见。”

   "Oh, you know as well as I do. Don't he obstinate, darling."

“哦,你知道,你和我一样清楚。别那么固执,亲爱的。”

   "Oh, sure," I said. "I knowyou're right. I'm just low, and when I'm low I talk like a fool."

“哦,当然,”我说道。“我知道你说得对。我只是心情低落,心情低落时就会说傻话。”

   I sat up, leaned over, found my shoes beside the bed and put them on. I stood up.

我坐起身来,倾身到床边找到鞋子穿上。站了起来。

   "Don't look like that, darling."

“亲爱的,不要那样看着我。”

   "How do you want me to look?"

“你希望我看起来怎样?”

   "Oh, don't be a fool. I'm going away to-morrow."

“哦,别傻了。我明天要走了。”

   "To-morrow?"

“明天?”

   "Yes. Didn't I say so? I am."

“是的。难道我没说吗?我是的。”

   "Let's have a drink, then. The count will be back."

“那我们来喝一杯吧。伯爵马上就会回来了。”

“Yes. He should be back. You know he’s extraordinary about buying champagne. —
“是的。他应该会回来。你知道他对购买香槟非常挑剔。” —

It means any amount to him.”
“这对他来说意义重大。”

We went into the dining-room. I took up the brandy bottle and poured Brett a drink and one for myself. —
我们走进餐厅。我拿起白兰地瓶,给Brett和自己倒了一杯。 —

There was a ring at the bell-pull. I went to the door and there was the count. —
门铃响了。我走到门口,看到了伯爵。 —

Behind him was the chauffeur carrying a basket of champagne.
他身后还跟着一个司机,背着一篮子香槟。

   "Where should I have him put it, sir?" asked the count.

“先生,我应该叫人把它放哪里呢?” 伯爵问。

   "In the kitchen," Brett said.

“放到厨房吧,” Brett 说。

“Put it in there, Henry,” the count motioned. “Now go down and get the ice.” —
“亨利,把它放进去,” 伯爵示意道。”然后下去拿冰。” —

He stood looking after the basket inside the kitchen door. —
他站在厨房门口注视着那篮子。 —

“I think you’ll find that’s very good wine,” he said. —
我觉得你会发现这是很好的葡萄酒,”他说。 —

“I know we don’t get much of a chance to judge good wine in the States now, but I got this from a friend of mine that’s in the business.”
我知道我们在美国很少有机会品评好酒,但我从一个在这行业的朋友那里得到了这瓶酒。”

   "Oh, you always have some one in the trade," Brett said.

哦,你总是有认识行业内人士的,”布雷特说。

   "This fellow raises the grapes. He's got thousands of acres of them."

这位先生种植葡萄。他有成千上万英亩的葡萄园。”

   "What's his name?" asked Brett. "Veuve Cliquot?"

他叫什么名字?”布雷特问道。“Veuve Cliquot吗?”

   "No," said the count. "Mumms. He's a baron."

不,”男爵说。“Mumms。他是个男爵。”

   "Isn't it wonderful," said Brett. "We all have titles. Why haven't you a title, Jake?"

这真是太棒了,”布雷特说。“我们大家都有头衔。为什么你没有头衔,杰克?”

“I assure you, sir,” the count put his hand on my arm. —
我向您保证,先生,”男爵把手放在我的手臂上。 —

“It never does a man any good. Most of the time it costs you money.”
这并没有什么好处。大多数时候反而会花费你一大笔钱。”

   "Oh, I don't know. It's damned useful sometimes," Brett said.

哦,我不这么认为。有时候非常有用,”布雷特说。

   "I've never known it to do me any good."

我从来没发现它对我产生过任何好处。”

   "You haven't used it properly. I've had hell's own amount of credit on mine."

你没有正确地利用它。我用我的头衔获得了相当大量的信用。”

   "Do sit down, count," I said. "Let me take that stick."

请坐,男爵,”我说。“让我帮你拿拐杖。”

The count was looking at Brett across the table under the gaslight. —
爵在煤气灯下看着布雷特,他们隔着桌子。 —

She was smoking a cigarette and flicking the ashes on the rug. She saw me notice it. —
点着香烟,把烟灰抖在地毯上。她看见我注意到了这一点。 —

“I say, Jake, I don’t want to ruin your rugs. —
“杰克,我不想弄脏你的地毯。” —

Can’t you give a chap an ash-tray?”
“能不能给我一个烟灰缸?”

I found some ash-trays and spread them around. —
我找到一些烟灰缸,把它们摆了出来。 —

The chauffeur came up with a bucket full of salted ice. —
司机端来一桶装满盐冰的桶。 —

“Put two bottles in it, Henry,” the count called.
“亨利,放两瓶进去,”伯爵喊道。

   "Anything else, sir?"

“还有别的需要吗,先生?”

“No. Wait down in the car.” He turned to Brett and to me. —
“不用了。在车里等着。”他转向布莱特和我。 —

“We’ll want to ride out to the Bois for dinner?”
“我们想出去布瓦尔斯吃晚饭吗?”

   "If you like," Brett said. "I couldn't eat a thing."

“如果你想的话,”布莱特说。“我一点胃口都没有。”

   "I always like a good meal," said the count.

“我总是喜欢一顿好饭。”伯爵说。

   "Should I bring the wine in, sir?" asked the chauffeur.

“我把酒拿进来吗,先生?”司机问。

“Yes. Bring it in, Henry,” said the count. —
“是的。亨利,把酒拿进来,”伯爵说。 —

He took out a heavy pigskin cigar-case and offered it to me. —
他拿出一个厚重的猪皮雪茄盒递给我。 —

“Like to try a real American cigar?”
“想尝试一支真正的美国雪茄吗?”

   "Thanks," I said. "I'll finish the cigarette."

“谢谢,”我说。“我会抽完这支香烟。”

   He cut off the end of his cigar with a gold cutter he wore on one end of his watch-chain.

他用挂在表链一端的金刀剪了雪茄的尾部。

   "I like a cigar to really draw," said the count. "Half the cigars you smoke don't draw."

“我喜欢雪茄真正地抽出来,”伯爵说道。”你抽的一半雪茄都不好抽。”

   He lit the cigar, puffed at it, looking across the table at Brett. "And when you're divorced, Lady Ashley, then you won't have a title."

他点燃了雪茄,吸了一口,看着布莱特对面的表。”当你离婚了,阿什利夫人,那么你就不会有头衔了。”

   "No. What a pity."

“没有。多么可惜呀。”

   "No," said the count. "You don't need a title. You got class all over you."

“是的,”伯爵说。”你不需要头衔。你浑身散发着高贵气质。”

   "Thanks. Awfully decent of you."

“谢谢。非常体面的你。”

“I’m not joking you,” the count blew a cloud of smoke. —
“我不是在开玩笑,”伯爵吐出一团烟。 —

“You got the most class of anybody I ever seen. —
“你是我见过最有气质的人。 —

You got it. That’s all.”
你就是这样。就是这样。”

“Nice of you,” said Brett. “Mummy would be pleased. —
“谢谢你,”布莱特说。”妈妈会很高兴的。 —

Couldn’t you write it out, and I’ll send it in a letter to her.”
你能不能写下来,我把它写在信里发给她。”

“I’d tell her, too,” said the count. “I’m not joking you. I never joke people. —
“我也会告诉她,”伯爵说。”我不开玩笑。我不愚弄人。 —

Joke people and you make enemies. That’s what I always say.”
愚弄人只会招来敌人。我一直都这么说。”

“You’re right,” Brett said. “You’re terribly right. —
“你说得对,”布莱特说。”你说得非常对。 —

I always joke people and I haven’t a friend in the world. Except Jake here.”
我总是愚弄人,世界上没有一个朋友。除了这里的杰克。”

   "You don't joke him."

“你不要戏笑他。”

   "That's it."

“就是这样。”

   "Do you, now?" asked the count. "Do you joke him?"

“你呢?”伯爵问道。“你戏笑他吗?”

   Brett looked at me and wrinkled up the corners of her eyes.

布莱特看着我,眯起眼角。

   "No," she said. "I wouldn't joke him."

“不,”她说。“我不会戏笑他。”

   "See," said the count. "You don't joke him."

“你看,”伯爵说。“你不戏笑他。”

   "This is a hell of a dull talk," Brett said. "How about some of that champagne?"

“这真是一场枯燥的对话,”布莱特说。“来点香槟怎么样?”

The count reached down and twirled the bottles in the shiny bucket. —
伯爵伸手拧动了闪亮的桶里的瓶子。 —

“It isn’t cold, yet. You’re always drinking, my dear. —
“还没冷呢。你总是在喝,亲爱的。 —

Why don’t you just talk?”
为什么不只是聊聊天呢?”

   "I've talked too ruddy much. I've talked myself all out to Jake."

“我已经说的太多了。我已经和杰克说得够多了。”

“I should like to hear you really talk, my dear. —
“我想听你真正地说话,亲爱的。 —

When you talk to me you never finish your sentences at all.”
当你跟我说话时,你根本不结束句子。”

   "Leave 'em for you to finish. Let any one finish them as they like."

“把它们留给你去结束。任何人都可以随意结束它们。”

“It is a very interesting system,” the count reached down and gave the bottles a twirl. —
“这是一个非常有趣的系统,”伯爵伸手拧动了瓶子。 —

“Still I would like to hear you talk some time.”
“我还是想听你讲话的。”

   "Isn't he a fool?" Brett asked.

“他不是一个傻瓜吗?”布雷特问道。

   "Now," the count brought up a bottle. "I think this is cool."

“现在,”伯爵端出一瓶酒。“我觉得这很不错。”

I brought a towel and he wiped the bottle dry and held it up. —
我拿了一条毛巾,他把瓶子擦干并举起来。 —

“I like to drink champagne from magnums. —
“我喜欢从大瓶中喝香槟。” —

The wine is better but it would have been too hard to cool.” —
酒更好,但冷却就太难了。 —

He held the bottle, looking at it. I put out the glasses.
他拿着瓶子看着它。我拿出了杯子。

   "I say. You might open it," Brett suggested.

“我说,你可以打开它,”布雷特建议道。

   "Yes, my dear. Now I'll open it."

“是的,亲爱的。现在我来开瓶。”

   It was amazing champagne.

这是惊人的香槟。

“I say that is wine,” Brett held up her glass. —
“我说这是美酒,”布雷特举起她的杯子。 —

“We ought to toast something. ‘Here’s to royalty.’
“我们应该干杯。‘向皇室致意。’”

“This wine is too good for toast-drinking, my dear. —
“这种酒太好了,亲爱的。 —

You don’t want to mix emotions up with a wine like that. —
你不想用这种酒来干杯。 —

You lose the taste.”
你会失去口感。”

   Brett's glass was empty.

布雷特的玻璃空了。

   "You ought to write a book on wines, count," I said.

“您应该写一本关于葡萄酒的书,伯爵,”我说。

   "Mr. Barnes," answered the count, "all I want out of wines is to enjoy them."

“巴恩斯先生,”伯爵回答说,“我对葡萄酒的期望就是享受它们。”

“Let’s enjoy a little more of this,” Brett pushed her glass forward. —
“让我们再好好享受一点吧,”布雷特把她的玻璃推了过来。 —

The count poured very carefully. “There, my dear. —
伯爵小心翼翼地倒了酒。“来,亲爱的。 —

Now you enjoy that slowly, and then you can get drunk.”
现在你慢慢地享受这杯酒,然后你可以喝醉。”

   "Drunk? Drunk?"

“喝醉?喝醉?”

   "My dear, you are charming when you are drunk."

“亲爱的,你喝醉的时候真是迷人。”

   "Listen to the man."

“听听这位先生。”

“Mr. Barnes,” the count poured my glass full. —
“巴恩斯先生,”伯爵倒满了我的酒杯。 —

“She is the only lady I have ever known who was as charming when she was drunk as when she was sober.”
“她是我所认识的唯一一位喝醉了还像清醒时一样迷人的女士。”

   "You haven't been around much, have you?"

“你没见识过多少事情,是吧?”

   "Yes, my dear. I have been around very much. I have been around a very great deal."

“是的,亲爱的。我见识过很多。我见识过很多事情。”

“Drink your wine,” said Brett. “We’ve all been around. —
“喝你的酒,”布雷特说。“我们大家都见过很多事情。 —

I dare say Jake here has seen as much as you have.”
我敢说杰克在这方面见识和你差不多。”

My dear, I am sure Mr. Barnes has seen a lot. —
亲爱的,我相信巴恩斯先生见过很多。 —

Don t think I don’t think so, sir. I have seen a lot, too.”
先生,别以为我不这样认为。我也见过很多。

   "Of course you have, my dear," Brett said. "I was only ragging."

“当然了,亲爱的,我只是开玩笑而已。”

   "I have been in seven wars and four revolutions," the count said.

“我参加过七场战争和四次革命,”伯爵说。

   "Soldiering?" Brett asked.

“打过仗吗?” 布雷特问道。

   "Sometimes, my dear. And I have got arrow wounds. Have you ever seen arrow wounds?"

“有时候,亲爱的。我身上被箭射过。你见过箭伤吗?”

   "Let's have a look at them."

“让我看看。”

The count stood up, unbuttoned his vest, and opened his shirt. —
伯爵站起身来,解开背心的纽扣,打开衬衫。 —

He pulled up the undershirt onto his chest and stood, his chest black, and big stomach muscles bulging under the light.
他把汗衫拉到胸口,站着,他的胸口是黑色的,大大的肚子肌肉在灯光下鼓起。

   "You see them?"

“看见了吗?”

Below the line where his ribs stopped were two raised white welts. —
在肋骨停止的位置以下有两道凸起的白色疤痕。 —

“See on the back where they come out.” Above the small of the back were the same two scars, raised as thick as a finger.
“看看后背的出口。” 在腰部上方是同样的两道疤痕,像手指一样粗大。

   "I say. Those are something."

“天啊。这些疤痕真了不起。”

   "Clean through."

“清楚无误地穿过去了。”

   The count was tucking in his shirt.

伯爵正在塞衬衫。

   "Where did you get those?" I asked.

“你在哪儿弄来的这些?”我问道。

   "In Abyssinia. When I was twenty-one years old."

“在阿比西尼亚。那时我二十一岁。”

   "What were you doing?" asked Brett. "Were you in the army?"

“你当时在做什么?”布雷特问道。“你在军队里吗?”

   "I was on a business trip, my dear."

“我是出差啦,亲爱的。”

“I told you he was one of us. Didn’t I?” —
“我告诉过你他是我们其中一个。我没错吧?” —

Brett turned to me. “I love you, count. You’re a darling.”
布雷特转向我。“我爱你,伯爵。你是个可爱的人。”

   "You make me very happy, my dear. But it isn't true."

“亲爱的,你让我很快乐。但那不是真的。”

   "Don't be an ass."

“别蠢了。”

“You see, Mr. Barnes, it is because I have lived very much that now I can enjoy everything so well. —
“你看,巴恩斯先生,这是因为我经历过很多,所以现在能够如此好好地享受一切。 —

Don’t you find it like that?”
10, 你有这样的感觉吗?”

   "Yes. Absolutely."

“是的。完全是。”

   "I know," said the count. "That is the secret. You must get to know the values."

“我明白,”伯爵说。“那就是秘密。你必须要了解这些价值。”

   "Doesn't anything ever happen to your values?" Brett asked.

“你的价值观从来不会发生变化吗?”布雷特问。

   "No. Not any more."

“不,再也不会了。”

   "Never fall in love?"

“从不会坠入爱河?”

   "Always," said the count. "I am always in love."

““我一直都是热恋的,”伯爵说。

   "What does that do to your values?"

““那对你的价值观有什么影响吗?”

   "That, too, has got a place in my values."

““那也是我的价值观中的一部分。”

   "You haven't any values. You're dead, that's all."

““你没有任何价值观。你已经死了,仅此而已。”

   "No, my dear. You're not right. I'm not dead at all."

““不,亲爱的。你错了。我并没有死。”

We drank three bottles of the champagne and the count left the basket in my kitchen. —
我们喝了三瓶香槟,伯爵把篮子留在了我的厨房里。 —

We dined at a restaurant in the Bois. It was a good dinner. —
我们在布瓦尔林园的一家餐厅吃晚餐。那是一顿美味的晚餐。 —

Food had an excellent place in the count’s values. So did wine. —
美食在伯爵的价值观中占据了重要地位。葡萄酒也是如此。 —

The count was in fine form during the meal. —
晚餐期间,伯爵情绪很好。 —

So was Brett. It was a good party.
布雷特也是如此。这是一个很棒的聚会。

“Where would you like to go?” asked the count after dinner. —
“你想去哪里?”晚餐后伯爵问道。 —

We were the only people left in the restaurant. —
我们是餐厅里唯一留下的人。 —

The two waiters were standing over against the door. —
两名服务员站在门口。 —

They wanted to go home.
他们想回家。

   "We might go up on the hill," Brett said. "Haven't we had a splendid party?"

“我们可以去山上,”布雷特说。“我们开了一个很棒的派对。”

   The count was beaming. He was very happy.

这位伯爵笑容满面。他非常开心。

“You are very nice people,” he said. —
“你们真是好人,”他说。 —

He was smoking a cigar again. “Why don’t you get married, you two?”
他又开始抽雪茄。“你们为什么不结婚呢?”

   "We want to lead our own lives," I said.

“我们想要过自己的生活,”我说。

   "We have our careers," Brett said. "Come on. Let's get out of this."

“我们有自己的事业,”布雷特说。“走吧。让我们离开这里。”

   "Have another brandy," the count said.

“再喝杯白兰地,”伯爵说。

   "Get it on the hill."

“把它放在山上。”

   "No. Have it here where it is quiet."

“不,就在这里安静的地方喝吧。”

   "You and your quiet," said Brett. "What is it men feel about quiet?"

“你就爱安静,”布雷特说。“男人们都对安静有什么感觉呢?”

   "We like it," said the count. "Like you like noise, my dear."

“我们喜欢,”伯爵说。“就像你喜欢噪音一样,亲爱的。”

   "All right," said Brett. "Let's have one."

“好吧,”布雷特说。“来一杯吧。”

   "Sommelier!" the count called.

“侍酒员!”伯爵喊道。

   "Yes, sir."

“先生。”

   "What is the oldest brandy you have?"

“你们这里最老的白兰地是什么年份的?”

   "Eighteen eleven, sir."

“一千八百一十一年,先生。”

   "Bring us a bottle."

“给我们拿一瓶来。”

   "I say. Don't be ostentatious. Call him off, Jake."

“我说。不要炫耀。杰克,让他停下来。”

   "Listen, my dear. I get more value for my money in old brandy than in any other antiquities."

“听着,亲爱的。我买老白兰地比买其他古董更划算。”

   "Got many antiquities?"

“有很多古董吗?”

   "I got a houseful."

“我家里堆满了。”

Finally we went up to Montmartre. Inside Zelli’s it was crowded, smoky, and noisy. —
最后我们去了蒙马特。走进泽利的时候,里面挤满了人,充满烟雾和嘈杂声音。 —

The music hit you as you went in. Brett and I danced. It was so crowded we could barely move. —
音乐在你走进去的时候就扑面而来。我和布雷特跳舞。我们几乎无法移动,因为太拥挤了。 —

The nigger drummer waved at Brett. We were caught in the jam, dancing in one place in front of him.
黑人鼓手朝布雷特挥手。我们被困在人群中,跳着舞在他面前原地不动。

   "Hahre you?"

“你好吗?”

   "Great."

“很好。”

   "Thaats good."

“那很好。”

   He was all teeth and lips.

他笑得合不拢嘴。

   "He's a great friend of mine," Brett said. "Damn good drummer."

“他是我的好朋友,”布雷特说。“打鼓非常好。”

The music stopped and we started toward the table where the count sat. —
音乐停了,我们开始朝坐着的伯爵走去。 —

Then the music started again and we danced. I looked at the count. —
然后音乐又开始了,我们继续跳舞。我看着伯爵。 —

He was sitting at the table smoking a cigar. —
他坐在桌前抽着雪茄。 —

The music stopped again.
音乐又停了。

   "Let's go over."

“我们过去吧。”

   Brett started toward the table. The music started and again we danced, tight in the crowd.

布雷特走向桌子。音乐又开始了,我们再次在人群中翩翩起舞。

   "You are a rotten dancer, Jake. Michael's the best dancer I know."

“你跳舞跳得糟糕,杰克。迈克尔是我认识的最好的舞者。”

   "He's splendid."

“他真是太棒了。”

   "He's got his points."

“他也有他的优点。”

   "I like him," I said. "I'm damned fond of him."

“我喜欢他,”我说。”我他妈的很喜欢他。”

   "I'm going to marry him," Brett said. "Funny. I haven't thought about him for a week."

“我要嫁给他,”布雷特说。”好笑,我已经一个星期没想过他了。”

   "Don't you write him?"

“你不给他写信吗?”

   "Not I. Never write letters."

“从不。我从不写信。”

   "I'll bet he writes to you."

“我敢打赌他给你写信。”

   "Rather. Damned good letters, too."

“是啊。而且是相当不错的信。”

   "When are you going to get married?"

“你们什么时候结婚?”

“How do I know? As soon as we can get the divorce. —
“我怎么知道?只要我们能办到离婚。” —

Michael’s trying to get his mother to put up for it.”
迈克尔试图让他母亲为此支付。

   "Could I help you?"

“我可以帮你吗?”

   "Don't be an ass. Michael's people have loads of money."

“别这么傻。迈克尔的人有很多钱。”

   The music stopped. We walked over to the table. The count stood up.

音乐停了。我们走到桌边。伯爵站起来。

   "Very nice," he said. "You looked very, very nice."

“很漂亮,” 他说。“你看起来非常非常漂亮。”

   "Don't you dance, count?" I asked.

“伯爵,你不会跳舞吗?” 我问。

   "No. I'm too old."

“不会。我太老了。”

   "Oh, come off it," Brett said.

“哦,别瞎扯了,” 布莱特说。

   "My dear, I would do it if I would enjoy it. I enjoy to watch you dance."

“亲爱的,如果我喜欢的话我会跳的。我喜欢看你们跳舞。”

“Splendid,” Brett said. “I’ll dance again for you some time. —
“太棒了,” 布莱特说。“我以后会再为你跳舞的。” —

I say. What about your little friend, Zizi?”
“我说。你那个小朋友,Zizi怎么样?”

   "Let me tell you. I support that boy, but I don't want to have him around."

“听着,我支持那个男孩,但我不想把他留在身边。”

   "He is rather hard."

“他确实有些难缠。”

   "You know I think that boy's got a future. But personally I don't want him around."

“你知道我觉得那个男孩有未来。但个人而言,我不想他在身边。”

   "Jake's rather the same way."

“杰克有点这样的想法。”

   "He gives me the willys."

“他让我毛骨悚然。”

“Well,” the count shrugged his shoulders. —
“嗯,”伯爵耸了耸肩。 —

“About his future you can’t ever tell. Anyhow, his father was a great friend of my father.”
“关于他的未来,你永远也说不准。不管怎样,他的父亲曾是我父亲的好朋友。”

   "Come on. Let's dance," Brett said.

“来吧。我们跳舞吧,”布莱特说。

   We danced. It was crowded and close.

我们跳舞。人群拥挤而紧密。

   "Oh, darling," Brett said, "I'm so miserable."

“哦,亲爱的,”布莱特说,“我好难过。”

I had that feeling of going through something that has all happened before. —
我有一种正在经历过的感觉,好像所有这一切都曾经发生过一样。 —

“You were happy a minute ago.”
“你刚才还很开心呢。”

   The drummer shouted: "You can't two time--"

鼓手喊道:“你不能同时拥有两个情人——”

   "It's all gone."

“一切都结束了。”

   "What's the matter?"

“怎么了?”

   "I don't know. I just feel terribly."

“我不知道。我只是感到非常难过。”

   ". . . . . ." the drummer chanted. Then turned to his sticks.

鼓手吟唱着:“……”然后转向他的鼓棒。

   "Want to go?"

“想走吗?”

   I had the feeling as in a nightmare of it all being something repeated, something I had been through and that now I must go through again.

我有一种在噩梦中经历过所有这一切的感觉,感觉像是一种重复,一种我曾经经历过的东西,现在我必须再次经历一遍。

   ". . . . . ." the drummer sang softly.

“… …” 鼓手轻声唱道。

   "Let's go," said Brett. "You don't mind."

“走吧,” 布雷特说。“你不介意的。”

   ". . . . . ." the drummer shouted and grinned at Brett.

“… …” 鼓手对布雷特大声喊道并露出笑容。

   "All right," I said. We got out from the crowd. Brett went to the dressing-room.

“好吧,” 我说。我们从人群中走出来。布雷特去了化妆室。

“Brett wants to go,” I said to the count. He nodded. “Does she? That’s fine. —
“布雷特想走,” 我对伯爵说。他点了点头。“她想?那很好。” —

You take the car. I’m going to stay here for a while, Mr. Barnes.”
“你开车吧。我要在这里待一会儿,巴恩斯先生。”

   We shook hands.

我们握手道别。

“It was a wonderful time,” I said. —
“这是美好的时光,” 我说。 —

“I wish you would let me get this.” I took a note out of my pocket.
“我希望你能让我掏钱。” 我从口袋里掏出一张纸币。

   "Mr. Barnes, don't be ridiculous," the count said.

“巴恩斯先生,别荒谬了,” 伯爵说。

Brett came over with her wrap on. She kissed the count and put her hand on his shoulder to keep him from standing up. —
布雷特套着披肩走过来。她亲吻了伯爵并把手放在他肩膀上,以防他起身。 —

As we went out the door I looked back and there were three girls at his table. —
当我们走出门时,我回头看了一眼,他的桌子前坐着三个女孩。 —

We got into the big car. Brett gave the chauffeur the address of her hotel.
我们坐进了那辆大车。布雷特告诉司机她酒店的地址。

   "No, don't come up," she said at the hotel. She had rung and the door was unlatched.

“不,不要上来,” 她在酒店门口说。她已经按铃了,门没锁。

   "Really?"

“真的吗?”

   "No. Please."

“不要。拜托。”

   "Good night, Brett," I said. "I'm sorry you feel rotten."

“晚安,布雷特,”我说。“很抱歉你感觉不舒服。”

“Good night, Jake. Good night, darling. I won’t see you again.” —
“晚安,杰克。晚安,亲爱的。我不会再见到你了。” —

We kissed standing at the door. She pushed me away. —
我们在门口接吻。她推开了我。 —

We kissed again. “Oh, don’t!” Brett said.
我们再次接吻。“哦,别这样!”布雷特说。

She turned quickly and went into the hotel. The chauffeur drove me around to my flat. —
她迅速转身进了酒店。司机开车送我到我公寓。 —

I gave him twenty francs and he touched his cap and said: “Good night, sir,” and drove off. —
我给了他二十法郎,他摸了摸帽子说:“晚安,先生。”然后开车离开了。 —

I rang the bell. The door opened and I went up-stairs and went to bed.
我按了门铃。门打开后,我上楼去上床睡觉。