I did not see Brett again until she came back from San Sebastian. One card came from her from there. —
我再也没有见到布雷特,直到她从圣塞瓦斯蒂安回来。她从那里给我寄来了一张明信片。 —

It had a picture of the Concha, and said: “Darling. —
明信片上有康查湾的图片,上面写着:“亲爱的。 —

Very quiet and healthy. Love to all the chaps. BRETT.”
非常安静和健康。向所有小伙伴们问候。 布雷特。”

Nor did I see Robert Cohn again. I heard Frances had left for England and I had a note from Cohn saying he was going out in the country for a couple of weeks, he did not know where, but that he wanted to hold me to the fishing-trip in Spain we had talked about last winter. —
我再也没有见到罗伯特·科恩。我听说弗朗西丝已经去了英格兰,而科恩给我写了张便条说他要出去乡下待几周,不知道具体去哪里,但他想实现去年冬天我们谈过的西班牙钓鱼之约。 —

I could reach him always, he wrote, through his bankers.
他写道,我总能通过他的银行联系到他。

Brett was gone, I was not bothered by Cohn’s troubles, I rather enjoyed not having to play tennis, there was plenty of work to do, I went often to the races, dined with friends, and put in some extra time at the office getting things ahead so I could leave it in charge of my secretary when Bill Gorton and I should shove off to Spain the end of June. Bill Gorton arrived, put up a couple of days at the flat and went off to Vienna. —
布雷特走了,我并不在乎科恩的麻烦,我反而喜欢不用打网球,有很多工作要做,我时常去看赛马,和朋友共进晚餐,并加班处理事务,以便在6月底和比尔·戈顿一起启程去西班牙,让我的秘书看管办公室。比尔·戈顿到达后,在公寓里住了几天就去了维也纳。 —

He was very cheerful and said the States were wonderful. New York was wonderful. —
他很开心地说美国是美妙的。纽约也是美妙的。 —

There had been a grand theatrical season and a whole crop of great young light heavyweights. —
这里举办了一场盛大的戏剧季,还有一大批优秀的年轻轻重量级选手。 —

Any one of them was a good prospect to grow up, put on weight and trim Dempsey. —
他们当中任何一个都是一个好潜力,可以长大,增重,打败邓普西。 —

Bill was very happy. He had made a lot of money on his last book, and was going to make a lot more. —
比尔很高兴。他在上一本书上赚了很多钱,还将赚更多。 —

We had a good time while he was in Paris, and then he went off to Vienna. —
他在巴黎时我们玩得很开心,然后他去了维也纳。 —

He was coming back in three weeks and we would leave for Spain to get in some fishing and go to the fiesta at Pamplona. —
他将在三周后回来,我们将去西班牙钓鱼,并参加Pamplona的节日。 —

He wrote that Vienna was wonderful. Then a card from Budapest: —
他写信说维也纳很棒。然后是从布达佩斯寄来的一张明信片: —

“Jake, Budapest is wonderful.” Then I got a wire: “Back on Monday.”
“杰克,布达佩斯很棒。”然后我收到了一条电报:“周一回来。”

Monday evening he turned up at the flat. —
周一晚上他出现在公寓里。 —

I heard his taxi stop and went to the window and called to him; —
我听到他的出租车停下,走到窗前叫他; —

he waved and started up-stairs carrying his bags. —
他挥了挥手,拿着行李上楼。 —

I met him on the stairs, and took one of the bags.
我在楼梯上遇见了他,拿起一个包。

   "Well," I said, "I hear you had a wonderful trip."

“那么,”我说,“听说你的旅行很棒。”

   "Wonderful," he said. "Budapest is absolutely wonderful."

“很棒,”他说,“布达佩斯绝对很棒。”

   "How about Vienna?"

“维也纳呢?”

   "Not so good, Jake. Not so good. It seemed better than it was."

“不太好,杰克。不太好。看起来比实际要好。”

   "How do you mean?" I was getting glasses and a siphon.

“你是什么意思?”我在买眼镜和虹吸器。

   "Tight, Jake. I was tight."

“太紧了,杰克。我很紧。”

   "That's strange. Better have a drink."

“那很奇怪。最好喝一杯。”

Bill rubbed his forehead. “Remarkable thing,” he said. —
比尔揉了揉额头。“不可思议的事情,”他说。 —

“Don’t know how it happened. Suddenly it happened.”
“不知道怎么发生的。突然就发生了。”

   "Last long?"

“持续时间长吗?”

   "Four days, Jake. Lasted just four days."

“四天,杰克。只持续了四天。”

   "Where did you go?"

“你去了哪里?”

   "Don't remember. Wrote you a post-card. Remember that perfectly."

“不记得了。给你写了张明信片。那件事我记得很清楚。”

   "Do anything else?"

“还做了什么?”

   "Not so sure. Possible."

“不太确定。有可能。”

   "Go on. Tell me about it."

“继续说。告诉我发生了什么。”

   "Can't remember. Tell you anything I could remember."

“记不起了。只能告诉你我能记得的事情。”

   "Go on. Take that drink and remember."

“继续说。喝口酒回忆一下。”

“Might remember a little,” Bill said. “Remember something about a prize-fight. —
比尔说:“可能会记得一点。”“记得一些关于拳击比赛的事情。” —

Enormous Vienna prize-fight. Had a nigger in it. —
巨大的维也纳拳击比赛。里面有一个黑鬼。 —

Remember the nigger perfectly.”
请将nigger的内容记得清清楚楚。

   "Go on."

“继续。”

“Wonderful nigger. Looked like Tiger Flowers, only four times as big. —
“了不起的黑人。看起来像老虎花,只是大四倍。” —

All of a sudden everybody started to throw things. Not me. Nigger’d just knocked local boy down. —
突然间每个人都开始扔东西。倒地的只是黑鬼挨了当地人一拳。 —

Nigger put up his glove. Wanted to make a speech. Awful noble-looking nigger. —
尼格尔举起手套。想要演讲。看起来非常崇高的尼格尔。 —

Started to make a speech. Then local white boy hit him. Then he knocked white boy cold. —
开始演讲。然后当地的白人男孩打他。然后他把白人男孩打倒了。 —

Then everybody commenced to throw chairs. Nigger went home with us in our car. —
然后每个人都开始扔椅子。黑鬼跟我们一起坐我们的车回家。 —

Couldn’t get his clothes. Wore my coat. Remember the whole thing now. —
无法得到他的衣服。穿我的外套。现在全都记得了。 —

Big sporting evening.”
大型体育晚会。

   "What happened?"

“发生了什么事?”

“Loaned the nigger some clothes and went around with him to try and get his money. —
“把衣服借给那个黑人,然后和他一起去试图讨回他的钱。” —

Claimed nigger owed them money on account of wrecking hall. Wonder who translated? Was it me?”
声称黑人欠他们钱是因为破坏了会堂。不知道是谁翻译的?是我吗?

   "Probably it wasn't you."

“也许不是你。”

“You’re right. Wasn’t me at all. Was another fellow. —
“你说得对。一点都不是我。是另一个家伙。 —

Think we called him the local Harvard man. —
记得他,我们叫他当地的哈佛大学生。 —

Remember him now. Studying music.”
现在想起来了。他在学习音乐。”

   "How'd you come out?"

“你结果怎么样了?”

“Not so good, Jake. Injustice everywhere. —
“不怎么好,杰克。到处都是不公正。 —

Promoter claimed nigger promised let local boy stay. Claimed nigger violated contract. —
推销员声称黑人答应让当地男孩留下。声称黑人违反了合同。 —

Can’t knock out Vienna boy in Vienna. ‘My God, Mister Gorton,’ said nigger, ‘I didn’t do nothing in there for forty minutes but try and let him stay. —
在维也纳不能击败维也纳男孩。‘我的上帝,戈顿先生,’黑人说,‘我在那里四十分钟里只是试图让他留下。 —

That white boy musta ruptured himself swinging at me. —
那个白男孩肯定是在朝我挥拳自断玉手。 —

I never did hit him.’ “
我从来没有打过他。”

   "Did you get any money?"

“你拿到任何钱吗?”

“No money, Jake. All we could get was nigger’s clothes. Somebody took his watch, too. —
“没有钱,杰克。我们能得到的只有黑人的衣服。有人还拿走了他的手表。 —

Splendid nigger. Big mistake to have come to Vienna. —
伟大的黑人。来维也纳是个大错误。 —

Not so good, Jake. Not so good.”
不怎么好,杰克。不怎么好。”

   "What became of the nigger?"

“那个黑人怎么样了?”

“Went back to Cologne. Lives there. Married. Got a family. —
“回到了科隆。在那里生活。结了婚。有了家庭。” —

Going to write me a letter and send me the money I loaned him. —
“他要给我写信并寄给我借给他的钱。” —

Wonderful nigger. Hope I gave him the right address.”
“太棒了。希望我给他了正确的地址。”

   "You probably did."

“你可能给了他。”

   "Well, anyway, let's eat," said Bill. "Unless you want me to tell you some more travel stories."

“好吧,无论如何,让我们吃饭吧,”比尔说。“除非你想让我给你讲更多旅行故事。”

   "Go on."

“继续说吧。”

   "Let's eat."

“让我们去吃饭吧。”

   We went down-stairs and out onto the Boulevard St. Michel in the warm June evening.

我们走下楼,走出巴黎通大道,在温暖的六月傍晚。

   "Where will we go?"

“我们去哪里吃呢?”

   "Want to eat on the island?"

“想在岛上吃吗?”

   "Sure."

“当然。”

   We walked down the Boulevard. At the juncture of the Rue Denfert-Rochereau with the Boulevard is a statue of two men in flowing robes.

我们沿着大道走去。在德费尔-罗谢罗大道与巴黎通大道的交汇处,竖立着两位身着流畅长袍的男子雕像。

“I know who they are.” Bill eyed the monument. —
“我知道他们是谁。”比尔注视着雕像。 —

“Gentlemen who invented pharmacy. Don’t try and fool me on Paris.”
“那是发明药房的绅士。别想在巴黎骗我。”

   We went on.

我们继续前行。

   "Here's a taxidermist's," Bill said. "Want to buy anything? Nice stuffed dog?"

“这是一个动物标本店,”比尔说。“想买点什么吗?漂亮的装填狗?”

   "Come on," I said. "You're pie-eyed."

“别胡扯了,”我说。“你已经醉了。”

   "Pretty nice stuffed dogs," Bill said. "Certainly brighten up your flat."

“这些装填狗看起来相当不错,”比尔说。“肯定会为你的公寓增色。”

   "Come on."

“别闹了。”

“Just one stuffed dog. I can take ‘em or leave ‘em alone. —
“就买一个装填狗吧。我可以有也可以没有。” —

But listen, Jake. Just one stuffed dog.”
但是听着,杰克。就一个装填狗。”

   "Come on."

“别闹了。”

“Mean everything in the world to you after you bought it. —
“买了之后对你来说就会很重要。 —

Simple exchange of values. You give them money. —
价值的简单交换。你给他们钱。 —

They give you a stuffed dog.”
他们给你一个装填狗。”

   "We'll get one on the way back."

“我们回去的时候再买一个。”

   "All right. Have it your own way. Road to hell paved with unbought stuffed dogs. Not my fault."

“好吧,随你怎么说。通往地狱的路是用没买的装填狗铺的。不是我的错。”

   We went on.

我们继续前行。

   "How'd you feel that way about dogs so sudden?"

“你怎么这么突然对狗有这种感觉呢?”

   "Always felt that way about dogs. Always been a great lover of stuffed animals."

“我一直都是对狗这样的感觉。我一直是个动物标本的爱好者。”

   We stopped and had a drink.

我们停下来喝了一杯。

   "Certainly like to drink," Bill said. "You ought to try it some times, Jake."

“当然喜欢喝酒,”比尔说。“你应该也试试,杰克。”

   "You're about a hundred and forty-four ahead of me."

“你领先我大概一百四十四杯。”

“Ought not to daunt you. Never be daunted. Secret of my success. —
“不应该让你气馁。永远不要被吓倒。这是我的成功秘诀。 —

Never been daunted. Never been daunted in public.”
我从来没有在公众面前感到气馁。”

   "Where were you drinking?"

“你们在哪里喝的?”

“Stopped at the Crillon. George made me a couple of Jack Roses. George’s a great man. —
“在克里昂酒店停下来。乔治给我调了几杯杰克玫瑰鸡尾酒。乔治人很好。 —

Know the secret of his success? Never been daunted.”
知道他成功的秘诀吗?永远不会被气馁。”

   "You'll be daunted after about three more pernods."

“再喝三杯龙舌兰酒后你就会被气馁了。”

   "Not in public. If I begin to feel daunted I'll go off by myself. I'm like a cat that way."

“不会在公共场合。如果我开始感到气馁,我会离开。我就是那样像只猫。”

   "When did you see Harvey Stone?"

“你什么时候见到哈维·斯通?”

“At the Crillon. Harvey was just a little daunted. —
“在克里昂。哈维有点感到气馁。 —

Hadn’t eaten for three days. Doesn’t eat any more. —
已经三天没吃东西了。不再进食。 —

Just goes off like a cat. Pretty sad.”
就像只猫一样走开。挺可悲的。”

   "He's all right."

“他还好。”

   "Splendid. Wish he wouldn't keep going off like a cat, though. Makes me nervous."

“华丽。但希望他不要总是像猫一样突然走开,让我感到紧张。”

   "What'll we do to-night?"

“我们今晚要做什么呢?”

“Doesn’t make any difference. Only let’s not get daunted. —
“无所谓。只是不要灰心。 —

Suppose they got any hard-boiled eggs here? —
“这里会有熟鸡蛋吗?” —

If they had hard-boiled eggs here we wouldn’t have to go all the way down to the island to eat.”
“如果这里有熟鸡蛋,我们就不用一直到岛上去吃了。”

   "Nix," I said. "We're going to have a regular meal."

“不,”我说。“我们要吃一顿正餐。”

   "Just a suggestion," said Bill. "Want to start now?"

“仅仅是个建议,”比尔说。“现在要开始吗?”

   "Come on."

“走吧。”

   We started on again down the Boulevard. A horse-cab passed us. Bill looked at it.

我们再次沿着大道继续前行。一辆马车经过了我们。比尔看了看。

“See that horse-cab? Going to have that horse-cab stuffed for you for Christmas. —
“看那辆马车?打算把那辆马车装起来送给你过圣诞。 —

Going to give all my friends stuffed animals. —
打算给我所有的朋友送动物标本。 —

I’m a nature-writer.”
我是自然作家。”

A taxi passed, some one in it waved, then banged for the driver to stop. —
一辆出租车经过,车里有人挥手,然后猛烈按了一下司机停车的按钮。 —

The taxi backed up to the curb. In it was Brett.
出租车倒车靠上路边。车里坐着布雷特。

   "Beautiful lady," said Bill. "Going to kidnap us."

“美丽的女士,”比尔说。“要绑架我们。”

   "Hullo!" Brett said. "Hullo!"

“哈喽!” 布雷特说。 “哈喽!”

   "This is Bill Gorton. Lady Ashley."

“这是比尔·戈顿。阿什利夫人。”

   Brett smiled at Bill. "I say I'm just back. Haven't bathed even. Michael comes in to-night."

布雷特对比尔微笑道:”我说我刚回来。甚至还没洗澡。迈克尔今晚就要到了。”

   "Good. Come on and eat with us, and we'll all go to meet him."

“好的。一起来吃饭,我们一起去接他吧。”

   "Must clean myself."

“必须得先洗个澡。”

   "Oh, rot! Come on."

“哦,胡说八道!一起来吧。”

   "Must bathe. He doesn't get in till nine."

“必须得洗澡。他要到九点才能到。”

   "Come and have a drink, then, before you bathe."

“那来喝一杯吧,在你洗澡前。”

   "Might do that. Now you're not talking rot."

“也许可以。现在你没再胡说八道了。”

   We got in the taxi. The driver looked around.

我们上了出租车。司机回头看了一眼。

   "Stop at the nearest bistro," I said.

“停在最近的小酒馆。” 我说。

   "We might as well go to the Closerie," Brett said. "I can't drink these rotten brandies."

“我们还是去克洛泽丽吧,” 布雷特说道。 “我喝不惯这些劣质的白兰地。”

   "Closerie des Lilas."

“克洛泽丽百合花园.”

   Brett turned to Bill.

布雷特转向比尔。

   "Have you been in this pestilential city long?"

“你在这个瘟疫肆虐的城市待了多久?”

   "Just got in to-day from Budapest."

“今天刚从布达佩斯回来。”

   "How was Budapest?"

“布达佩斯怎么样?”

   "Wonderful. Budapest was wonderful."

“太美妙了。布达佩斯太美妙了。”

   "Ask him about Vienna."

“问他维也纳怎么样。”

   "Vienna," said Bill, "is a strange city."

“维也纳,”比尔说道,”是一个奇怪的城市。”

   "Very much like Paris," Brett smiled at him, wrinkling the corners of her eyes.

“很像巴黎,”布莱特对他微笑着说,眼角皱起。

   "Exactly," Bill said. "Very much like Paris at this moment."

“没错,”比尔说。”跟巴黎现在的氛围很像。”

   "You have a good start."

“你们已经有了一个好的开端。”

   Sitting out on the terraces of the Lilas Brett ordered a whiskey and soda, I took one, too, and Bill took another pernod.

在里拉斯(Lilas)的露台上坐着,布莱特点了一杯威士忌苏打水,我也来一杯,比尔喝了一杯龙舌兰酒。

   "How are you, Jake?"

“杰克,你好吗?”

   "Great," I said. "I've had a good time."

“很好,”我说。”我玩得很开心。”

   Brett looked at me. "I was a fool to go away," she said. "One's an ass to leave Paris."

布莱特看着我。”我真是个傻瓜去了别处,”她说。”离开巴黎真是太蠢了。”

   "Did you have a good time?"

“你过得愉快吗?”

   "Oh, all right. Interesting. Not frightfully amusing."

“嗯,还行。有趣。并不是特别有趣。”

   "See anybody?"

“见到任何人吗?”

   "No, hardly anybody. I never went out."

“没有,几乎没人。我从来没出去过。”

   "Didn't you swim?"

“你没去游泳吗?”

   "No. Didn't do a thing."

“没有。什么事情都没做。”

   "Sounds like Vienna," Bill said.

“听上去像维也纳,”比尔说。

   Brett wrinkled up the corners of her eyes at him.

布莱特皱起了眉头看着他。

   "So that's the way it was in Vienna."

“所以在维也纳就是这样的。”

   "It was like everything in Vienna."

“在维也纳就是这样子的。”

   Brett smiled at him again.

布莱特再次对他微笑。

   "You've a nice friend, Jake."

“杰克,你的朋友真好。”

   "He's all right," I said. "He's a taxidermist."

“他还好,” 我说。”他是个动物标本师。”

   "That was in another country," Bill said. "And besides all the animals were dead."

“那是在另一个国家,” 比尔说。”而且况且所有的动物都已经死了。”

   "One more," Brett said, "and I must run. Do send the waiter for a taxi."

“再来一杯,” 布莱特说,”我得要走了。请叫侍者叫出租车。”

   "There's a line of them. Right out in front."

“外面有一排。就在门口。”

   "Good."

“太好了。”

   We had the drink and put Brett into her taxi.

我们喝完了酒,让布莱特上了出租车。

   "Mind you're at the Select around ten. Make him come. Michael will be there."

“你记得在十点左右到Select饭店。让他来。迈克尔会在那里。”

   "We'll be there," Bill said. The taxi started and Brett waved.

“我们会去的,” 比尔说。出租车启动了,布雷特挥手道别。

   "Quite a girl," Bill said. "She's damned nice. Who's Michael?"

“真是个不错的女孩,” 比尔说。”她非常友善。迈克尔是谁?”

   "The man she's going to marry."

“她将要嫁给的人。”

“Well, well,” Bill said. “That’s always just the stage I meet anybody. —
“哦,哦,” 比尔说。”那总是我认识任何人的阶段。 —

What’ll I send them? Think they’d like a couple of stuffed race-horses?”
“我要送什么给他们呢?你觉得他们会喜欢一对填充赛马吗?”

   "We better eat."

“我们最好吃点东西。”

“Is she really Lady something or other?” —
“她真的是贵族夫人之类的吗?” —

Bill asked in the taxi on our way down to the Ile Saint Louis.
出租车上,我们开往圣路易岛时,比尔问道。

   "Oh, yes. In the stud-book and everything."

“噢,是的。在血统登记簿上都有记录。”

   "Well, well."

“哦,好吧。”

We ate dinner at Madame Lecomte’s restaurant on the far side of the island. —
我们在岛的另一边的勒孔特夫人餐厅吃晚餐。 —

It was crowded with Americans and we had to stand up and wait for a place. —
餐厅里挤满了美国人,我们必须站着等位。 —

Some one had put it in the American Women’s Club list as a quaint restaurant on the Paris quais as yet untouched by Americans, so we had to wait forty-five minutes for a table. —
有人在美国妇女俱乐部的名单上把它列为一个巴黎码头上尚未被美国人触及的古色古香的餐厅,所以我们等了四十五分钟才有桌子。 —

Bill had eaten at the restaurant in 1918, and right after the armistice, and Madame Lecomte made a great fuss over seeing him.
比尔在1918年和停战后的后餐厅吃过饭,勒孔特夫人见到他时非常激动。

   "Doesn't get us a table, though," Bill said. "Grand woman, though."

“不过也没为我们保留桌子,”比尔说。“不过是位伟大的女士。”

   We had a good meal, a roast chicken, new green beans, mashed potatoes, a salad, and some apple-pie and cheese.

我们吃了一顿丰盛的饭菜,有烤鸡、新鲜的青豆、土豆泥、沙拉、还有苹果派和干酪。

“You’ve got the world here all right,” Bill said to Madame Lecomte. —
“这里确实是个天堂,”比尔对勒孔特夫人说。 —

She raised her hand. “Oh, my God!”
她举起手。“哦,我的天!”

   "You'll be rich."

“你会变得很富有。”

   "I hope so."

“希望如此。”

   After the coffee and a fine we got the bill, chalked up the same as ever on a slate, that was doubtless one of the "quaint" features, paid it, shook hands, and went out.

喝完咖啡和付完账后,我们拿到了账单,像往常一样在一个粉板上写着,这无疑是其中的一个“古雅”特色,付了钱,握手道别,然后离开。

   "You never come here any more, Monsieur Barnes," Madame Lecomte said.

“你再也不来这里了,巴恩斯先生,”勒孔特夫人说。

   "Too many compatriots."

“有太多同胞了。”

   "Come at lunch-time. It's not crowded then."

“午餐时来吧。那个时候不拥挤。”

   "Good. I'll be down soon."

“好的。我很快就会来。”

We walked along under the trees that grew out over the river on the Quai d’Orléans side of the island. —
我们沿着长在塞纳河上的奥尔良码头岛的树下走着。 —

Across the river were the broken walls of old houses that were being torn down.
河对岸是被拆除的破旧房屋的残垣断壁。

   "They're going to cut a street through."

“他们要修一条街道穿过去。”

   "They would," Bill said.

“他们就是会这样,”比尔说。

We walked on and circled the island. —
我们继续走着,环绕着小岛。 —

The river was dark and a bateau mouche went by, all bright with lights, going fast and quiet up and out of sight under the bridge. —
河水是深黑的,一艘灯火辉煌的游船快速而安静地从桥下通过,消失在眼前。 —

Down the river was Notre Dame squatting against the night sky. —
河下游是圣母院伫立在夜空中。 —

We crossed to the left bank of the Seine by the wooden foot-bridge from the Quai de Bethune, and stopped on the bridge and looked down the river at Notre Dame. Standing on the bridge the island looked dark, the houses were high against the sky, and the trees were shadows.
我们通过贝蒂尼码头的木制人行桥到了塞纳河的左岸,站在桥上,望着圣母院。站在桥上,小岛显得黑暗,房屋高耸入云,树影婆娑。

   "It's pretty grand," Bill said. "God, I love to get back."

“真是壮观啊,”比尔说。”天啊,我喜欢回来这里。”

We leaned on the wooden rail of the bridge and looked up the river to the lights of the big bridges. —
我们倚在木栏上,向上游看着大桥的灯光。 —

Below the water was smooth and black. It made no sound against the piles of the bridge. —
水下是平滑而黑暗的。它静静地在桥墩间不发出任何声音。 —

A man and a girl passed us. They were walking with their arms around each other.
一男一女从我们身边走过。他们搀着彼此的胳膊。

We crossed the bridge and walked up the Rue du Cardinal Lemoine. —
我们穿过桥,沿着卢梅让红街走去。 —

It was steep walking, and we went all the way up to the Place Contrescarpe. —
走起来很陡,我们一直走到了康特思卡普广场。 —

The arc-light shone through the leaves of the trees in the square, and underneath the trees was an S bus ready to start. —
电灯的弧光透过广场树叶,树下停着一辆准备出发的S型公共汽车。 —

Music came out of the door of the Negre Joyeux. —
奈格乐乐酒吧的门口传出音乐。 —

Through the window of the Café Aux Amateurs I saw the long zinc bar. —
透过Café Aux Amateurs的窗口可以看到长长的锌吧台。 —

Outside on the terrace working people were drinking. —
露台上正在喝酒的是一些工人。 —

In the open kitchen of the Amateurs a girl was cooking potato-chips in oil. —
在Amateurs开放式厨房里,一个女孩正在油里炸薯条。 —

There was an iron pot of stew. The girl ladled some onto a plate for an old man who stood holding a bottle of red wine in one hand.
有一个铁锅里有炖菜。女孩舀了一些到盘子里,递给一个老人,老人一手拿着红酒瓶。

   "Want to have a drink?"

“想喝杯酒吗?”

   "No," said Bill. "I don't need it."

“不了,”比尔说。 “我不需要。”

We turned to the right off the Place Contrescarpe, walking along smooth narrow streets with high old houses on both sides. —
我们从康特思卡普广场右转,沿着两侧有高楼房的光滑窄街走去。 —

Some of the houses jutted out toward the street. Others were cut back. —
一些房屋向街道方向突出,其他房屋则后退。 —

We came onto the Rue du Pot de Fer and followed it along until it brought us to the rigid north and south of the Rue Saint Jacques and then walked south, past Val de Grace, set back behind the courtyard and the iron fence, to the Boulevard du Port Royal.
我们走到铁锅巷,一直沿着走,直到它把我们带到了僵硬的南北方的圣雅各伊街,然后往南行走,经过一座被院子和铁栅栏隔开的瓦尔德格拉斯,来到了波特罗伊尔大道。

   "What do you want to do?" I asked. "Go up to the café and see Brett and Mike?"

“你想做什么?”我问道。”上咖啡馆看看布雷特和迈克吗?”

   "Why not?"

“为什么不呢?”

   We walked along Port Royal until it became Montparnasse, and then on past the Lilas, Lavigne's, and all the little cafés, Damoy's, crossed the street to the Rotonde, past its lights and tables to the Select.

我们沿着港口皇家步行,直到变成了蒙帕纳斯,然后经过丽拉斯,拉维涅的,和所有小咖啡馆,达莫伊的,穿过街道来到了罗通德,经过了它的灯光和桌子,到达了塞莱克。

   Michael came toward us from the tables. He was tanned and healthy-looking.

迈克尔从桌子那边朝我们走来。他被晒黑了,看起来很健康。

   "Hel-lo, Jake," he said. "Hel-lo! Hel-lo! How are you, old lad?"

“嗨,杰克,”他说。“嗨,嗨!你好吗,老伙计?”

   "You look very fit, Mike."

“你看起来非常健康,迈克。

“Oh, I am. I’m frightfully fit. I’ve done nothing but walk. —
“噢,我是。我非常健康。我一直在走路。 —

Walk all day long. One drink a day with my mother at tea.”
整天都在走路。每天和我妈妈在下午茶时喝一杯酒。

Bill had gone into the bar. He was standing talking with Brett, who was sitting on a high stool, her legs crossed. —
比尔已经进入酒吧了。他站在那里和布雷特聊天,而她则坐在一个高凳子上,双腿交叉。 —

She had no stockings on.
她没有穿袜子。

“It’s good to see you, Jake,” Michael said. —
“见到你很高兴,杰克,”迈克尔说。 —

“I’m a little tight you know. Amazing, isn’t it? —
“我有点醉了,你知道。令人惊讶,不是吗? —

Did you see my nose?”
你看到我的鼻子了吗?”

   There was a patch of dried blood on the bridge of his nose.

他的鼻子的桥上有一块干血。

“An old lady’s bags did that,” Mike said. —
“是一位老太太的包包干的,”迈克说。 —

“I reached up to help her with them and they fell on me.”
“我伸手去帮她拿袋子,结果袋子掉在我身上了。”

   Brett gestured at him from the bar with her cigarette-holder and wrinkled the corners of her eyes.

Brett用她的长烟斗示意他,眯起眼角。

“An old lady,” said Mike. “Her bags fell on me. —
“一个老太太,”迈克说,”她的包掉在我身上。 —

Let’s go in and see Brett. I say, she is a piece. —
“让我们进去看看布雷特。我说,她真是一位美女。 —

You are a lovely lady, Brett. Where did you get that hat?”
“你是一位可爱的女士,布雷特。你这顶帽子哪里买的?

   "Chap bought it for me. Don't you like it?"

“一个人买给我的。你不喜欢吗?

   "It's a dreadful hat. Do get a good hat."

“这是一顶可怕的帽子。换顶好看的帽子吧。

“Oh, we’ve so much money now,” Brett said. —
“哦,我们现在有那么多钱了,”布雷特说。 —

“I say, haven’t you met Bill yet? You are a lovely host, Jake.”
“我说,你还没见过比尔吗?你真是一位可爱的主人,杰克。

She turned to Mike. “This is Bill Gorton. —
她转向迈克。”这位是比尔戈顿。 —

This drunkard is Mike Campbell. Mr. Campbell is an undischarged bankrupt.”
这个醉鬼是迈克坎贝尔。坎贝尔先生是一个未破产的倒闭者。

   "Aren't I, though? You know I met my ex-partner yesterday in London. Chap who did me in."

“没错吗?你知道我昨天在伦敦碰见了我的前伙伴。害我的那家伙。

   "What did he say?"

“他说了什么?

“Bought me a drink. I thought I might as well take it. —
“请我喝了一杯。我觉得我还是接受吧。 —

I say, Brett, you are a lovely piece. Don’t you think she’s beautiful?”
我说,布雷特,你真是一位美人。你不觉得她很漂亮吗?

   "Beautiful. With this nose?"

“漂亮。带着这个鼻子?”

   "It's a lovely nose. Go on, point it at me. Isn't she a lovely piece?"

“这是一个可爱的鼻子。继续,对着我指指看。她是个可爱的女人,不是吗?”

   "Couldn't we have kept the man in Scotland?"

“我们不能把那个男人留在苏格兰吗?”

   "I say, Brett, let's turn in early."

“Brett,我们早点休息吧。”

   "Don't be indecent, Michael. Remember there are ladies at this bar."

“不要不检点,迈克尔。记住这个酒吧里有女士们。”

   "Isn't she a lovely piece? Don't you think so, Jake?"

“她是个可爱的女人,你不这样认为,杰克吗?”

   "There's a fight to-night," Bill said. "Like to go?"

“今晚有场拳击,”比尔说。“想去吗?”

   "Fight," said Mike. "Who's fighting?"

“拳击比赛,”迈克说。“谁在打?”

   "Ledoux and somebody."

“是勒杜和谁。”

“He’s very good, Ledoux,” Mike said. —
“勒杜非常厉害,”迈克说。 —

“I’d like to see it, rather”–he was making an effort to pull himself together–“but I can’t go. —
“我挺想看的,”–他正努力使自己恢复过来–“但我不能去。我和那个人有约。Brett,买顶新帽子吧。” —

I had a date with this thing here. I say, Brett, do get a new hat.”
布莱特用呢子帽把一只眼睛遮住,微笑着看着他们。

Brett pulled the felt hat down far over one eye and smiled out from under it. —
“你们两个去看拳击吧。我得送坎贝尔先生回家。” —

“You two run along to the fight. I’ll have to be taking Mr. Campbell home directly.”
“我没醉,”迈克说。“或许有点。布莱特,你真是个美人。”

   "I'm not tight," Mike said. "Perhaps just a little. I say, Brett, you are a lovely piece."

“去看拳击吧,”布莱特说。“坎贝尔先生开始有点难缠了。迈克,这些情感爆发是怎么回事?”

   "Go on to the fight," Brett said. "Mr. Campbell's getting difficult. What are these outbursts of affection, Michael?"

“去看拳击吧,”布莱特说。“坎贝尔先生开始有点难缠了。迈克,这些情感爆发是怎么回事?”

   "I say, you are a lovely piece."

“我说,你真是一位可爱的人。”

We said good night. “I’m sorry I can’t go,” Mike said. Brett laughed. —
我们说晚安。”很抱歉我不能去,” Mike说。Brett笑了。 —

I looked back from the door. Mike had one hand on the bar and was leaning toward Brett, talking. —
我从门口回头看。Mike一只手搭在吧台上,身体向着Brett,正在说话。 —

Brett was looking at him quite coolly, but the corners of her eyes were smiling.
Brett看着他相当冷静,但眼角含笑。

   Outside on the pavement I said: "Do you want to go to the fight?"

在外面的人行道上我说:”你想去看拳击比赛吗?”

   "Sure," said Bill. "If we don't have to walk."

“当然,” Bill说。”如果我们不用走路的话。”

   "Mike was pretty excited about his girl friend," I said in the taxi.

“Mike对他的女朋友挺兴奋的,” 我在出租车里说。

   "Well," said Bill. "You can't blame him such a hell of a lot."

“嗯,” Bill说。”你不能太怪他。”