Madame de Morcerf entered an archway of trees with her companion. —
莫尔塞夫夫人与她的同伴穿过一片树道进入了一个温室。 —

It led through a grove of lindens to a conservatory.
树道穿过一片菩提树林通往一个温室。

“It was too warm in the room, was it not, count?” she asked.
“屋子里太热了,是吧,伯爵?”她问道。

“Yes, madame; and it was an excellent idea of yours to open the doors and the blinds. —
“是的,夫人;而且打开门和百叶窗是你的一个很好的主意。” —

” As he ceased speaking, the count felt the hand of Mercédès tremble. —
当他停止说话时,伯爵感到梅赛德斯的手颤抖了一下。 —

“But you,” he said, “with that light dress, and without anything to cover you but that gauze scarf, perhaps you feel cold?”
“但是你,”他说,“穿着那么轻薄的衣服,只有一条薄纱围巾遮住,或许你会感到冷吗?”

“Do you know where I am leading you?” said the countess, without replying to the question.
“你知道我要带你去哪里吗?”夫人问道,没有回答他的问题。

“No, madame,” replied Monte Cristo; “but you see I make no resistance.”
“不,夫人,”蒙特克里斯托回答道,“但你看到我没有反抗。”

“We are going to the greenhouse that you see at the other end of the grove.”
“我们要去那边林子的尽头看见的温室。”

The count looked at Mercédès as if to interrogate her, but she continued to walk on in silence, and he refrained from speaking. —
伯爵望着梅赛德斯,仿佛在询问她,但她继续默默地走着,他就不再说话了。 —

They reached the building, ornamented with magnificent fruits, which ripen at the beginning of July in the artificial temperature which takes the place of the sun, so frequently absent in our climate. —
他们来到了这座建筑物,装饰着丰美的水果,这些水果在7月初熟透,取代了太阳,因为在我们的气候中太阳经常不出现。 —

The countess left the arm of Monte Cristo, and gathered a bunch of Muscatel grapes.
伯爵夫人离开了蒙特克里斯托的臂膀,采了一束长相思葡萄。

“See, count,” she said, with a smile so sad in its expression that one could almost detect the tears on her eyelids—“see, our French grapes are not to be compared, I know, with yours of Sicily and Cyprus, but you will make allowance for our northern sun. —
“瞧,伯爵,”她微笑着说道,眼睛里的悲伤几乎能看到她眼睑上的泪水,“我知道,我们法国的葡萄跟西西里和塞浦路斯的葡萄无法相比,但你可以理解我们北方的阳光有限。 —

” The count bowed, but stepped back.
”伯爵鞠了一躬,然后退后了。

“Do you refuse?” said Mercédès, in a tremulous voice.
“你拒绝吗?”梅赛德斯颤抖着声音问道。

“Pray excuse me, madame,” replied Monte Cristo, “but I never eat Muscatel grapes.”
“请原谅我,夫人,”蒙特克里斯托回答道,“但我从不吃长相思葡萄。”

Mercédès let them fall, and sighed. A magnificent peach was hanging against an adjoining wall, ripened by the same artificial heat. —
梅赛德斯让葡萄掉了下来,叹了口气。一颗丰美的桃子挂在旁边的墙上,也是在同样人工加热的环境下成熟的。 —

Mercédès drew near, and plucked the fruit.
梅赛德斯走近,摘了这个水果。

“Take this peach, then,” she said. The count again refused. “What, again? —
“那就拿着这个桃子吧,”她说。计算又拒绝了。“怎么又是这样?” —

” she exclaimed, in so plaintive an accent that it seemed to stifle a sob; —
“她哭腔十足地呼喊道; —

“really, you pain me.”
“真的,你让我很伤心。”

A long silence followed; the peach, like the grapes, fell to the ground.
漫长的沉默随之而来;桃子,就像葡萄一样,掉在了地上。

“Count,” added Mercédès with a supplicating glance, “there is a beautiful Arabian custom, which makes eternal friends of those who have together eaten bread and salt under the same roof.”
“伯爵,”梅赛德斯带着恳求的眼神补充道,“有一种美丽的阿拉伯风俗,让在同一个屋檐下共进过面包和盐的人成为永远的朋友。”

“I know it, madame,” replied the count; —
“我知道,夫人,”伯爵回答道; —

“but we are in France, and not in Arabia, and in France eternal friendships are as rare as the custom of dividing bread and salt with one another.”
“但我们在法国,不是在阿拉伯,而在法国,永久的友谊和一起分享面包和盐的习俗一样稀少。”

“But,” said the countess, breathlessly, with her eyes fixed on Monte Cristo, whose arm she convulsively pressed with both hands, “we are friends, are we not?”
“但是,”伯爵夫人喘息着说道,她的眼睛紧紧地盯着蒙蒂克里斯托的胳膊,双手一紧握,“我们是朋友,对吗?”

The count became pale as death, the blood rushed to his heart, and then again rising, dyed his cheeks with crimson; —
伯爵脸色苍白如死,鲜血涌向他的心脏,然后再次上涌,将他的面颊染上深红。 —

his eyes swam like those of a man suddenly dazzled.
他的眼睛像是一个突然被刺激的人一样模糊不清。

“Certainly, we are friends,” he replied; “why should we not be?”
“当然,我们是朋友。”他回答道,“我们为什么不是呢?”

The answer was so little like the one Mercédès desired, that she turned away to give vent to a sigh, which sounded more like a groan. —
答案与梅西德斯期望的答案大相径庭,她转过身去发出一声叹息,听起来更像是一声呻吟。 —

“Thank you,” she said. And they walked on again. —
“谢谢你。”她说道。然后他们又重新走了起来。 —

They went the whole length of the garden without uttering a word.
他们在花园里走了一整段路都没有说一句话。

“Sir,” suddenly exclaimed the countess, after their walk had continued ten minutes in silence, “is it true that you have seen so much, travelled so far, and suffered so deeply?”
“先生,”在他们沉默了十分钟之后,伯爵夫人突然喊道,“你见过这么多,走过这么远,受过这么多苦,这是真的吗?”

“I have suffered deeply, madame,” answered Monte Cristo.
“我受过很多苦,夫人。”蒙蒂克里斯托回答道。

“But now you are happy?”
“但是现在你很幸福吗?”

“Doubtless,” replied the count, “since no one hears me complain.”
“无疑地,”伯爵回答道,“因为没有人听到我抱怨。”

“And your present happiness, has it softened your heart?”
“你现在的幸福,是否使你的心变软了?”

“My present happiness equals my past misery,” said the count.
“我的现在的幸福和过去的痛苦一样,”伯爵说道。

“Are you not married?” asked the countess.
“你没有结婚吗?”伯爵夫人问道。

“I, married?” exclaimed Monte Cristo, shuddering; “who could have told you so?”
“我,结婚?”蒙特克里斯托惊呼道,“谁告诉你的?”

“No one told me you were, but you have frequently been seen at the Opera with a young and lovely woman.”
“没有人告诉我你结婚了,但是经常有人看到你和一个年轻漂亮的女人一起去歌剧院。”

“She is a slave whom I bought at Constantinople, madame, the daughter of a prince. —
“她是我在君士坦丁堡买来的一个奴隶,夫人,是一个王子的女儿。 —

I have adopted her as my daughter, having no one else to love in the world.”
我收养她当做我的女儿,因为我世上没有别人可爱。”

“You live alone, then?”
“那你独自一人生活吗?”

“I do.”
“是的。”

“You have no sister—no son—no father?”
“你没有妹妹,没有儿子,没有父亲?”

“I have no one.”
“我没有任何人。”

“How can you exist thus without anyone to attach you to life?”
“没有任何人有什么维系你生活的依托吗?”

“It is not my fault, madame. At Malta, I loved a young girl, was on the point of marrying her, when war came and carried me away. —
“这不是我的错,夫人。在马耳他,我爱上了一个年轻姑娘,准备和她结婚,但战争来临把我拉走了。” —

I thought she loved me well enough to wait for me, and even to remain faithful to my memory. —
我以为她足够爱我,愿意等待我,甚至对我的记忆忠诚。 —

When I returned she was married. This is the history of most men who have passed twenty years of age. —
当我回来的时候,她已经结婚了。这是大多数二十岁以上男子的经历。 —

Perhaps my heart was weaker than the hearts of most men, and I suffered more than they would have done in my place; that is all.”
也许我的心比大多数男子的心脏更脆弱,在我这个位置上,我受的痛苦比他们多;就这些。

The countess stopped for a moment, as if gasping for breath. —
伯爵夫人停顿了一会,好像喘不过气来。 —

“Yes,” she said, “and you have still preserved this love in your heart—one can only love once—and did you ever see her again?”
“是的,”她说,”你还一直保留着对她的爱,一个人只能爱一次,你有没有再见过她?”

“Never.”
“从未见过。”

“Never?”
“从未见过?”

“I never returned to the country where she lived.”
“我从未回到她居住的国家。”

“To Malta?”
“到马耳他?”

“Yes; Malta.”
“是的;马耳他。”

“She is, then, now at Malta?”
“那么,她现在还在马耳他吗?”

“I think so.”
“我觉得是的。”

“And have you forgiven her for all she has made you suffer?”
“你原谅她对你的一切折磨了吗?”

“Her,—yes.”
“她,是的。”

“But only her; do you then still hate those who separated you?”
“但只有她吗?那你是否仍然恨那些分开你们的人?”

“I hate them? Not at all; why should I? —
“我讨厌他们吗?一点也不;我为什么要讨厌他们呢? —

” The countess placed herself before Monte Cristo, still holding in her hand a portion of the perfumed grapes.
“伯爵夫人站在蒙特克里斯托面前,手里还拿着一些香气扑鼻的葡萄。

“Take some,” she said.
“吃点吧,”她说。

“Madame, I never eat Muscatel grapes,” replied Monte Cristo, as if the subject had not been mentioned before. —
“夫人,我从不吃马斯卡特葡萄,”蒙特克里斯托回答道,仿佛这个话题之前还没有提到过。 —

The countess dashed the grapes into the nearest thicket, with a gesture of despair.
伯爵夫人失望地把葡萄扔进了最近的灌木丛。

“Inflexible man!” she murmured. Monte Cristo remained as unmoved as if the reproach had not been addressed to him.
“固执的人!”她低声说道。蒙特克里斯托一动不动,仿佛这个责备没有针对他。

Albert at this moment ran in. “Oh, mother,” he exclaimed, “such a misfortune has happened!”
阿尔伯特此时跑了进来。“噢,妈妈,发生了一件不幸的事情!”

“What? What has happened?” asked the countess, as though awakening from a sleep to the realities of life; —
“什么?发生了什么?”伯爵夫人问,仿佛从梦中醒来,回到了现实生活中; —

“did you say a misfortune? Indeed, I should expect misfortunes.”
“你说发生了不幸?确实,我也会预料到不幸的发生。”

“M. de Villefort is here.”
“维尔福特先生在这里。”

“Well?”
“那又怎样?”

“He comes to fetch his wife and daughter.”
“他来接他的妻子和女儿。”

“Why so?”
“为什么?”

“Because Madame de Saint-Méran is just arrived in Paris, bringing the news of M. de Saint-Méran’s death, which took place on the first stage after he left Marseilles. —
“因为圣梅兰夫人刚刚抵达巴黎,带来了圣梅兰先生在离开马赛后的第一站去世的消息。” —

Madame de Villefort, who was in very good spirits, would neither believe nor think of the misfortune, but Mademoiselle Valentine, at the first words, guessed the whole truth, notwithstanding all the precautions of her father; —
“维尔福夫人心情非常好,既不相信也不去想那个不幸的事情,但瓦伦丁小姐听了开头的几个字就猜出了全部的真相,尽管她父亲采取了所有的预防措施;” —

the blow struck her like a thunderbolt, and she fell senseless.”
“这一打击让她像遭受了雷击一样晕了过去。”

“And how was M. de Saint-Méran related to Mademoiselle de Villefort?” said the count.
“圣梅兰先生和维尔福小姐是什么关系?” 男爵问道。

“He was her grandfather on the mother’s side. —
“他是她母亲这边的祖父。” —

He was coming here to hasten her marriage with Franz.”
“他要来这里加快她和弗兰茨的婚事。”

“Ah, indeed!”
“啊,原来如此!”

“So Franz must wait. Why was not M. de Saint-Méran also grandfather to Mademoiselle Danglars?”
“那么弗兰茨就得等待。为什么圣梅兰先生不是当时的邓格拉小姐的祖父?”

“Albert, Albert,” said Madame de Morcerf, in a tone of mild reproof, “what are you saying? —
“艾尔伯特,艾尔伯特,” 莫赛夫人以温和的口气责备道,“你在说什么?” —

Ah, count, he esteems you so highly, tell him that he has spoken amiss.”
“啊,男爵,他非常尊重你,告诉他他说错了话。”

And she took two or three steps forward. Monte Cristo watched her with an air so thoughtful, and so full of affectionate admiration, that she turned back and grasped his hand; —
她向前走了两三步。蒙特克里斯托(Monte Cristo)带着深思熟虑的神情注视着她,充满了深情的赞赏,以至于她转过身去并握住了他的手; —

at the same time she seized that of her son, and joined them together.
同时,她抓住了她儿子的手,将他们连在一起。

“We are friends; are we not?” she asked.
“我们是朋友,对吗?”她问道。

“Oh, madame, I do not presume to call myself your friend, but at all times I am your most respectful servant. —
“哦,夫人,我不敢自称为您的朋友,但我始终是您最尊敬的仆人。” —

” The countess left with an indescribable pang in her heart, and before she had taken ten steps the count saw her raise her handkerchief to her eyes.
伯爵夫人带着难以言喻的痛苦离开了,还没走几步,伯爵就看到她拿手绢擦了起来。

“Do not my mother and you agree?” asked Albert, astonished.
“难道我母亲和你不合吗?”阿尔伯特惊讶地问道。

“On the contrary,” replied the count, “did you not hear her declare that we were friends?”
“相反地,”伯爵回答道,“你没听到她说我们是朋友吗?”

They re-entered the drawing-room, which Valentine and Madame de Villefort had just quitted. —
他们重新进入了刚才瓦伦蒂娜和维勒福特夫人刚离开的客厅。 —

It is perhaps needless to add that Morrel departed almost at the same time.
也许没有必要额外补充,莫雷尔几乎在同一时间离开了。