The evening of the day on which the Count of Morcerf had left Danglars’ house with feelings of shame and anger at the rejection of the projected alliance, M. Andrea Cavalcanti, with curled hair, moustaches in perfect order, and white gloves which fitted admirably, had entered the courtyard of the banker’s house in Rue de la Chaussée d’Antin. He had not been more than ten minutes in the drawing-room before he drew Danglars aside into the recess of a bow-window, and, after an ingenious preamble, related to him all his anxieties and cares since his noble father’s departure. —
当Morcerf伯爵因计划中的联姻被拒绝而感到羞愧和愤怒,安德烈·卡瓦尔坦蒂先生,卷发整齐,胡子整齐,白手套完美契合,在安阳马路上的银行家家前的庭院里进入了。 —

He acknowledged the extreme kindness which had been shown him by the banker’s family, in which he had been received as a son, and where, besides, his warmest affections had found an object on which to centre in Mademoiselle Danglars.
他承认了银行家一家对他表现的极度友善,在那里他被视为儿子,并且在那里他最热情的感情找到了一个中心对象,那就是当之无愧的当格拉小姐。

Danglars listened with the most profound attention; —
当格朗叔叔认真倾听。 —

he had expected this declaration for the last two or three days, and when at last it came his eyes glistened as much as they had lowered on listening to Morcerf. —
他早在两三天前就预料到了这个宣言的出现,当这个宣言最终出现时,他的眼睛闪烁着,就像在听莫尔塞夫时一样。 —

He would not, however, yield immediately to the young man’s request, but made a few conscientious objections.
不过,他并不立刻同意这个年轻人的请求,而是提出了几个良心上的异议。

“Are you not rather young, M. Andrea, to think of marrying?”
“您还不算很年轻吗,安德烈先生,就考虑结婚了吗?”

“I think not, sir,” replied M. Cavalcanti; “in Italy the nobility generally marry young. —
“我想不是的,先生,”卡瓦尔坎蒂先生回答说,“在意大利,贵族通常都很年轻就结婚了。 —

Life is so uncertain, that we ought to secure happiness while it is within our reach.”
生命如此不确定,我们应该在幸福还在我们身边时就把它抓住。”

“Well, sir,” said Danglars, “in case your proposals, which do me honor, are accepted by my wife and daughter, by whom shall the preliminary arrangements be settled? —
“好吧,先生,”丹格拉回答说,“如果您的建议被我妻子和女儿接受,那么这些初步安排应该由谁来处理呢? —

So important a negotiation should, I think, be conducted by the respective fathers of the young people.”
如此重要的谈判,我认为应该由年轻人的各自父亲来进行。”

“Sir, my father is a man of great foresight and prudence. —
“先生,我的父亲是一个有远见和谨慎的人。” —

Thinking that I might wish to settle in France, he left me at his departure, together with the papers establishing my identity, a letter promising, if he approved of my choice, 150,000 livres per annum from the day I was married. —
他认为我可能希望在法国定居,所以在他离开时,他除了留下了证明我的身份的文件外,还留下了一封信,承诺如果他同意我的选择,我将从结婚那天起每年得到15万法郎。 —

So far as I can judge, I suppose this to be a quarter of my father’s revenue.”
据我所估计,我想这大概是我父亲收入的四分之一。”

“I,” said Danglars, “have always intended giving my daughter 500,000 francs as her dowry; —
“我,”当时的唐格拉先生说,”一直打算给我女儿50万法郎作为她的嫁妆; —

she is, besides, my sole heiress.”
她也是我的唯一继承人。”

“All would then be easily arranged if the baroness and her daughter are willing. —
如果女男爵和她的女儿愿意的话,那么一切都可以轻松安排。 —

We should command an annuity of 175,000 livres. —
我们将有每年17.5万法郎的年金。 —

Supposing, also, I should persuade the marquis to give me my capital, which is not likely, but still is possible, we would place these two or three millions in your hands, whose talent might make it realize ten per cent.”
假设我能说服侯爵把我一部分本金归还给我,虽然不太可能,但也有可能,我们会把这两三百万交给您,您的才能可以使其实现百分之十的利润。”

“I never give more than four per cent, and generally only three and a half; —
“我从不超过百分之四的利率,通常只有百分之三点五; —

but to my son-in-law I would give five, and we would share the profits.”
但对于女婿我可以给百分之五,并且我们将分享利润。”

“Very good, father-in-law,” said Cavalcanti, yielding to his low-born nature, which would escape sometimes through the aristocratic gloss with which he sought to conceal it. —
“好极了,岳父大人,”卡瓦爾坎蒂说道,他屈服于自己低出身的本性,有时透过他力图掩盖这一点的贵族光环暴露出来。 —

Correcting himself immediately, he said, “Excuse me, sir; —
立刻纠正自己,他说:“对不起,先生; —

hope alone makes me almost mad,—what will not reality do?”
希望使我陷入了疯狂——现实又会给我带来什么样的变化呢?”

“But,” said Danglars, who, on his part, did not perceive how soon the conversation, which was at first disinterested, was turning to a business transaction, “there is, doubtless, a part of your fortune your father could not refuse you?”
“但是,”既然这个对话一开始是无私的,但如今明显转向了商业交易,当格拉尔没有察觉到时说道,“毋庸置疑,你父亲肯定有一部分财产是不能拒绝你的吧?”

“Which?” asked the young man.
“是哪一部分?”年轻人问道。

“That you inherit from your mother.”
“那是你从你母亲那儿继承来的。”

“Truly, from my mother, Leonora Corsinari.”
“确实,是从我母亲莱昂诺拉·科尔西纳里那里继承来的。”

“How much may it amount to?”
“数额可能是多少?”

“Indeed, sir,” said Andrea, “I assure you I have never given the subject a thought, but I suppose it must have been at least two millions.”
“实际上,先生,”安德烈说道,“我向您保证,我从来没有考虑过这个问题,但我想至少可能是两百万。”

Danglars felt as much overcome with joy as the miser who finds a lost treasure, or as the shipwrecked mariner who feels himself on solid ground instead of in the abyss which he expected would swallow him up.
当失而复得的宝藏的财迷或者原本以为会吞噬自己的深渊中浮出来的船难幸存者一样,当达能利心中充满喜悦。

“Well, sir,” said Andrea, bowing to the banker respectfully, “may I hope?”
“先生,”安德烈恭敬地向银行家鞠躬说道,”我能有所期望吗?”

“You may not only hope,” said Danglars, “but consider it a settled thing, if no obstacle arises on your part.”
“不仅可以期望,”达能利说,” 只要你遇到一点阻碍就可以视为已经成定局了。”

“I am, indeed, rejoiced,” said Andrea.
“我真的非常高兴。”安德烈说。

“But,” said Danglars thoughtfully, “how is it that your patron, M. de Monte Cristo, did not make his proposal for you?”
“但是,”达能利深思熟虑地说道,”为什么你的资助者,蒙特克里斯托先生,没有直接为你提出提案呢?”

Andrea blushed imperceptibly.
安德烈轻微地脸红。

“I have just left the count, sir,” said he; —
“刚才我刚刚离开了蒙特克里斯托先生,”他说。 —

“he is, doubtless, a delightful man but inconceivably peculiar in his ideas. —
“他无疑是一个令人愉快的人,但他的想法非常奇特。 —

He esteems me highly. He even told me he had not the slightest doubt that my father would give me the capital instead of the interest of my property. —
他非常尊敬我。他甚至告诉我,他毫不怀疑我父亲会给我资本而不是利息。 —

He has promised to use his influence to obtain it for me; —
他承诺会为我争取拿到资本的,他说会动用自己的影响力来帮我。 —

but he also declared that he never had taken on himself the responsibility of making proposals for another, and he never would. —
但他还宣称自己从未承担过为他人提出建议的责任,也永远不会这么做。 —

I must, however, do him the justice to add that he assured me if ever he had regretted the repugnance he felt to such a step it was on this occasion, because he thought the projected union would be a happy and suitable one. —
然而,我必须公正地补充说,他向我保证,如果他曾经为这一步骤感到后悔,那就是因为他认为计划中的联合将是幸福和合适的。 —

Besides, if he will do nothing officially, he will answer any questions you propose to him. —
此外,如果他官方上不做任何事,他会回答您提出的任何问题。 —

And now,” continued he, with one of his most charming smiles, “having finished talking to the father-in-law, I must address myself to the banker.”
“现在,”他继续说道,带着他最迷人的微笑,“在与岳父交谈结束之后,我必须向银行家致辞。”

“And what may you have to say to him?” said Danglars, laughing in his turn.
“你有什么要对他说的吗?”邓格拉笑着问道。

“That the day after tomorrow I shall have to draw upon you for about four thousand francs; —
“后天我将需要向您支取大约四千法郎; —

but the count, expecting my bachelor’s revenue could not suffice for the coming month’s outlay, has offered me a draft for twenty thousand francs. —
但计算着我的单身收入可能无法满足下个月的支出,伯爵为我开设了两万法郎的支票。 —

It bears his signature, as you see, which is all-sufficient.”
它上面有他的签名,正是充分的。”

“Bring me a million such as that,” said Danglars, “I shall be well pleased,” putting the draft in his pocket. —
“给我带来一百万像这样的,”当时的当尔加尔斯说,“我会很高兴的,”并把支票放进口袋里。 —

“Fix your own hour for tomorrow, and my cashier shall call on you with a check for eighty thousand francs.”
“明天定下你自己的时间,我的出纳员会给你来一张价值八万法郎的支票。”

“At ten o’clock then, if you please; I should like it early, as I am going into the country tomorrow.”
“那么就十点吧,如果你愿意的话;因为明天我要去乡下。”

“Very well, at ten o’clock; you are still at the Hôtel des Princes?”
“好的,十点钟;你还住在皇子饭店吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

The following morning, with the banker’s usual punctuality, the eighty thousand francs were placed in the young man’s hands, as he was on the point of starting, after having left two hundred francs for Caderousse. —
第二天早上,银行家按照往常的准时性将八万法郎交到了这个年轻人的手上,当时他正准备出发,在留下两百法郎给卡德鲁斯之后。 —

He went out chiefly to avoid this dangerous enemy, and returned as late as possible in the evening.
他主要是为了避免这个危险的敌人,尽可能晚回去。

But scarcely had he stepped out of his carriage when the porter met him with a parcel in his hand.
但是他刚下车,门房就拿着一个包裹迎面而来。

“Sir,” said he, “that man has been here.”
“先生,”他说,“那个人来过这里。”

“What man?” said Andrea carelessly, apparently forgetting him whom he but too well recollected.
“什么人?”安德里亚漫不经心地说,似乎忘记了那个他过去太清楚的人。

“Him to whom your excellency pays that little annuity.”
“给阁下支付微薄年金的人。”

“Oh,” said Andrea, “my father’s old servant. —
“哦,”安德烈说道,“是我父亲的老仆人。” —

Well, you gave him the two hundred francs I had left for him?”
“好的,您给了他我剩下的两百法郎吗?”

“Yes, your excellency.” Andrea had expressed a wish to be thus addressed. —
“是的,阁下。”安德烈希望被这样称呼。 —

“But,” continued the porter, “he would not take them.”
“但是,”门卫继续说道,“他不肯收。”

Andrea turned pale, but as it was dark his pallor was not perceptible. “What? —
安德烈脸色苍白,但由于黑暗,他的苍白并不明显。“什么? —

he would not take them?” said he with slight emotion.
“他不肯收?”他带着一丝情绪说道。

“No, he wished to speak to your excellency; —
“不,他想和阁下说话; —

I told him you were gone out, and after some dispute he believed me and gave me this letter, which he had brought with him already sealed.”
我告诉他您已经出去了,经过一番争执后,他相信了我并给了我这封信,他带来时已经封好了。”

“Give it me,” said Andrea, and he read by the light of his carriage-lamp:
“给我看看,”安德烈说道,然后在马车灯光的照耀下阅读:

“‘You know where I live; I expect you tomorrow morning at nine o’clock.’”
“‘您知道我住在哪里;我期望您明天早上九点钟来。”’

Andrea examined it carefully, to ascertain if the letter had been opened, or if any indiscreet eyes had seen its contents; —
安德烈仔细检查了一下,确认信封没有被打开过,或者没有被任何泄漏秘密的眼睛看过; —

but it was so carefully folded, that no one could have read it, and the seal was perfect.
但它被仔细地折叠着,以至于没有人能阅读得出来,封印也完好无缺。

“Very well,” said he. “Poor man, he is a worthy creature. —
“好吧,”他说。”可怜的人,他是一个有价值的人。 —

” He left the porter to ponder on these words, not knowing which most to admire, the master or the servant.
“他离开门卫思索着这些话,不知道该对什么更加钦佩,是主人还是仆人。

“Take out the horses quickly, and come up to me,” said Andrea to his groom. —
“快点把马匹拿出来,来找我,”安德烈对他的马夫说。 —

In two seconds the young man had reached his room and burnt Caderousse’s letter. —
二秒钟后,年轻人就到了自己的房间,烧掉了卡德鲁斯的信。 —

The servant entered just as he had finished.
正好仆人进来,他刚刚收拾好。

“You are about my height, Pierre,” said he.
“你和我身高差不多,皮埃尔,”他说。

“I have that honor, your excellency.”
“很荣幸,阁下。”

“You had a new livery yesterday?”
“你昨天有一套新制服吧?”

“Yes, sir.”
“是的,先生。”

“I have an engagement with a pretty little girl for this evening, and do not wish to be known; —
“我今晚有一个和漂亮小姑娘的约会,不想被人认出;借我你的制服到明天。 —

lend me your livery till tomorrow. —
也许我会在客栈过夜。” —

I may sleep, perhaps, at an inn.”
皮埃尔遵命。五分钟后,安德烈离开了酒店,完全伪装起来,坐上了一辆车夫,告诉司机带他去皮克普附近的Cheval Rouge酒店。

Pierre obeyed. Five minutes after, Andrea left the hotel, completely disguised, took a cabriolet, and ordered the driver to take him to the Cheval Rouge, at Picpus. —
万事俱备,安德烈离开了酒店,经过精心打扮,坐着马车前往皮埃尔推荐的客栈“Cheval Rouge”。 —

The next morning he left that inn as he had left the Hôtel des Princes, without being noticed, walked down the Faubourg Saint-Antoine, along the boulevard to Rue Ménilmontant, and stopping at the door of the third house on the left looked for someone of whom to make inquiry in the porter’s absence.
第二天早上,他像离开酒店德普朗斯一样,悄无声息地离开这家旅馆,沿着安托万街区的法外尔堡一路走到梅尼尔蒙坦街,在左边的第三栋房子门口停下来,想找个人来打听事情,因为门卫不在。

“For whom are you looking, my fine fellow?” asked the fruiteress on the opposite side.
“你找谁,美丽小伙子?”对面的水果摊老板娘问道。

“Monsieur Pailletin, if you please, my good woman,” replied Andrea.
“如果您愿意,我找帕莱坦先生。”安德里亚回答道。

“A retired baker?” asked the fruiteress.
“一个退休面包师傅?”水果摊老板娘问道。

“Exactly.”
“没错。”

“He lives at the end of the yard, on the left, on the third story.”
“他住在院子尽头,左边的第三层。”

Andrea went as she directed him, and on the third floor he found a hare’s paw, which, by the hasty ringing of the bell, it was evident he pulled with considerable ill-temper. —
安德里亚按照她的指示前去,在第三层发现了一个野兔的脚,很明显他生气地急速按响了门铃。 —

A moment after Caderousse’s face appeared at the grating in the door.
不一会儿,卡德鲁斯的脸在门上的铁栅中出现。

“Ah! you are punctual,” said he, as he drew back the door.
“啊!你很准时。”他一边拉开门,一边说道。

“Confound you and your punctuality!” said Andrea, throwing himself into a chair in a manner which implied that he would rather have flung it at the head of his host.
“混账,你和你的守时!”安德烈抱怨道,他一下子扔到椅子上,仿佛他宁愿把它砸向他的主人的头部。

“Come, come, my little fellow, don’t be angry. —
“来吧,来吧,小家伙,不要生气。” —

See, I have thought about you—look at the good breakfast we are going to have; —
“看,我考虑到了你——看看我们要享用的美味早餐; —

nothing but what you are fond of.”
全都是你喜欢的。”

Andrea, indeed, inhaled the scent of something cooking which was not unwelcome to him, hungry as he was; —
事实上,安德烈闻到了什么烹饪的香味,这对他来说很受欢迎,因为他饥饿了; —

it was that mixture of fat and garlic peculiar to Provençal kitchens of an inferior order, added to that of dried fish, and above all, the pungent smell of musk and cloves. —
这是一种混合了肥肉和大蒜的味道,这是普罗旺斯厨房中一种次等级别的特色味道,再加上干鱼的味道,最重要的是,还有一股辛辣的麝香和丁香的味道。 —

These odors escaped from two deep dishes which were covered and placed on a stove, and from a copper pan placed in an old iron pot. —
这些气味从盖着的两个深盘和一个放在旧铁锅里的铜锅中散发出来。 —

In an adjoining room Andrea saw also a tolerably clean table prepared for two, two bottles of wine sealed, the one with green, the other with yellow, a supply of brandy in a decanter, and a measure of fruit in a cabbage-leaf, cleverly arranged on an earthenware plate.
在一个相邻的房间里,安德烈还看见了一张相当干净的桌子,为两个人准备的,上面有两瓶封好的葡萄酒,一个绿色的,一个黄色的,还有一个玻璃瓶里的白兰地,以及一个用卷心菜叶子巧妙摆放的水果碟。

“What do you think of it, my little fellow?” said Caderousse. “Ay, that smells good! —
“你觉得怎么样,小家伙?”卡德鲁斯问道。“噢,这闻起来真香! —

You know I used to be a good cook; do you recollect how you used to lick your fingers? —
你知道我以前是个好厨子,还记得你以前舔手指的样子吗? —

You were among the first who tasted any of my dishes, and I think you relished them tolerably. —
你是第一批尝过我的菜的人,我觉得你还挺喜欢的。 —

” While speaking, Caderousse went on peeling a fresh supply of onions.
” 卡德鲁斯一边说着,一边继续剥新的洋葱。

“But,” said Andrea, ill-temperedly, “by my faith, if it was only to breakfast with you, that you disturbed me, I wish the devil had taken you!”
“但是,”安德烈愤怒地说道,“以我的信仰来说,如果你只是为了和你一起吃早餐而打扰我,我真希望魔鬼把你带走!”

“My boy,” said Caderousse sententiously, “one can talk while eating. —
“孩子,”卡德鲁斯庄重地说道,“一边吃饭一边聊天是可以的。 —

And then, you ungrateful being, you are not pleased to see an old friend? —
而且,你这个忘恩负义的家伙,见到老朋友了还不高兴吗? —

I am weeping with joy.”
我正在喜悦中流泪。”

He was truly crying, but it would have been difficult to say whether joy or the onions produced the greatest effect on the lachrymal glands of the old innkeeper of the Pont-du-Gard.
他真的在流泪,但很难说是开心还是洋葱对Pont-du-Gard旅店老板的泪腺产生了更大的影响。

“Hold your tongue, hypocrite,” said Andrea; “you love me!”
“闭嘴,伪君子,”安德烈说,“你爱我!”

“Yes, I do, or may the devil take me. I know it is a weakness, ” said Caderousse, “but it overpowers me.”
“是的,我爱你,否则我该见鬼,我知道这是一种弱点,”卡德鲁斯说,“但它压倒了我。”

“And yet it has not prevented your sending for me to play me some trick.”
“可是这并没有阻止你叫我来玩个把戏。”

“Come,” said Caderousse, wiping his large knife on his apron, “if I did not like you, do you think I should endure the wretched life you lead me? —
“来吧,”卡德鲁斯说着,用围裙擦了擦他的大刀,“如果我不喜欢你,你觉得我会忍受你给我带来的悲惨生活吗?” —

Think for a moment. You have your servant’s clothes on—you therefore keep a servant; —
想一想,你穿着仆人的衣服,所以你有仆人; —

I have none, and am obliged to prepare my own meals. —
我没有,只能自己准备饭菜。 —

You abuse my cookery because you dine at the table d’hôte of the Hôtel des Princes, or the Café de Paris. Well, I too could keep a servant; —
你抱怨我的烹饪,因为你在王子酒店的公共餐桌或巴黎咖啡馆用餐,好吧,我也可以雇个仆人; —

I too could have a tilbury; I too could dine where I like; but why do I not? —
我也可以有一辆轻便马车;我也可以在我喜欢的地方用餐;但我为什么不这么做呢? —

Because I would not annoy my little Benedetto. —
因为我不想惹恼我的小本尼迪托。 —

Come, just acknowledge that I could, eh?”
来吧,承认我能做到,嗯?

This address was accompanied by a look which was by no means difficult to understand.
这番话伴随着一种很容易理解的表情。

“Well,” said Andrea, “admitting your love, why do you want me to breakfast with you?”
嗯,”安德里亚说,“假设你爱我,你为什么想要和我一起吃早餐呢?

“That I may have the pleasure of seeing you, my little fellow.”
“为了能看到你,我的小伙计。”

“What is the use of seeing me after we have made all our arrangements?”
“我们所有的安排都做好了,见我有什么用呢?”

“Eh, dear friend,” said Caderousse, “are wills ever made without codicils? —
“嗯,亲爱的朋友,有人会在没有条款的遗嘱吗? —

But you first came to breakfast, did you not? —
但是你先来吃早餐了,对吗? —

Well, sit down, and let us begin with these pilchards, and this fresh butter; —
好吧,坐下,我们来开始吃这些沙丁鱼和新鲜的黄油; —

which I have put on some vine-leaves to please you, wicked one. Ah, yes; —
我把它们放在葡萄叶上以取悦你,邪恶的家伙。啊,是的; —

you look at my room, my four straw chairs, my images, three francs each. —
你看看我的房间,我的四个稻草椅,每个三法郎的图像。 —

But what do you expect? This is not the Hôtel des Princes.”
但你期待什么呢?这不是王子酒店。”

“Come, you are growing discontented, you are no longer happy; —
“来吧,你变得不满足了,你不再快乐了; —

you, who only wish to live like a retired baker.”
你,只想过像个退休面包师那样的生活。”

Caderousse sighed.
卡德鲁斯叹了口气。

“Well, what have you to say? you have seen your dream realized.”
“好吧,你有什么要说的?你已经看到了你的梦想实现了。”

“I can still say it is a dream; a retired baker, my poor Benedetto, is rich—he has an annuity.”
“我还是可以说这只是一个梦;一个退休的面包师傅,我的可怜的本内托,变得富有了——他有养老金。”

“Well, you have an annuity.”
“嗯,你也有养老金。”

“I have?”
“我有吗?”

“Yes, since I bring you your two hundred francs.”
“没错,因为我给你带来了你的两百法郎。”

Caderousse shrugged his shoulders.
卡德鲁斯耸了耸肩。

“It is humiliating,” said he, “thus to receive money given grudgingly, —an uncertain supply which may soon fail. —
“这真是丢脸,”他说,“居然还要接受别人勉强给的钱——一个不稳定的供应,随时可能中断。” —

You see I am obliged to economize, in case your prosperity should cease. —
“你看,我不得不节省开支,以防你的幸运停止。” —

Well, my friend, fortune is inconstant, as the chaplain of the regiment said. —
“好吧,我的朋友,幸运是无常的,就像军队的牧师说的那样。” —

I know your prosperity is great, you rascal; —
“我知道你的幸运是巨大的,你这个流氓;你要娶当格拉尔的女儿。” —

you are to marry the daughter of Danglars.”
“什么?当格拉尔的女儿?”

“What? of Danglars?”
“是的,当然;我是说应该称贝尼代托男爵吗?我还不如说贝内代托伯爵。”

“Yes, to be sure; must I say Baron Danglars? I might as well say Count Benedetto. —
“他是我一个老朋友,如果他记性不那么糟糕的话,他应该邀请我参加你们的婚礼,毕竟他参加了我的。” —

He was an old friend of mine and if he had not so bad a memory he ought to invite me to your wedding, seeing he came to mine. —
“请原谅我这么说,但是当格拉尔的女儿和贝内代托伯爵这两个人是一个人吗?” —

Yes, yes, to mine; gad, he was not so proud then,—he was an under-clerk to the good M. Morrel. —
是的,是的,对我的故事,天呐,那时他并不骄傲,他只是好莫雷尔先生的助理。 —

I have dined many times with him and the Count of Morcerf, so you see I have some high connections and were I to cultivate them a little, we might meet in the same drawing-rooms.”
我曾多次与他和莫尔塞夫伯爵共进晚餐,所以你可以看出我有些高人缘,如果我稍微努力一下,我们或许可以在同一间贵族厅相遇。

“Come, your jealousy represents everything to you in the wrong light.”
来吧,你的嫉妒把一切都曲解了。

“That is all very fine, Benedetto mio, but I know what I am saying. —
“好啊,亲爱的贝内代托,但我知道我在说什么。 —

Perhaps I may one day put on my best coat, and presenting myself at the great gate, introduce myself. —
也许有一天,我会穿上我最好的外套,敲大门自我介绍。 —

Meanwhile let us sit down and eat.”
与此同时,我们坐下来吃吧。

Caderousse set the example and attacked the breakfast with good appetite, praising each dish he set before his visitor. —
卡代鲁斯作为榜样,饭前狠狠吃了起来,对每一道菜都赞不绝口地端给访客。 —

The latter seemed to have resigned himself; —
后者似乎已经顺从了; —

he drew the corks, and partook largely of the fish with the garlic and fat.
他拔掉了瓶塞,大快朵颐地吃着带大蒜和油脂的鱼。

“Ah, mate,” said Caderousse, “you are getting on better terms with your old landlord!”
“啊,老兄,”卡代鲁斯说,“你和你的老房东关系好多了!”

“Faith, yes,” replied Andrea, whose hunger prevailed over every other feeling.
“嗯,是的,”安德烈回答,饥饿压倒了其他任何感觉。

“So you like it, you rogue?”
“真不错,你这个淘气鬼。”

“So much that I wonder how a man who can cook thus can complain of hard living.”
“非常喜欢,以至于我很奇怪一个会这么烹饪的人还会抱怨生活艰难。”

“Do you see,” said Caderousse, “all my happiness is marred by one thought?”
“你看,”卡德鲁斯说,“我的幸福都被一个念头破坏了。”

“What is that?”
“什么念头?”

“That I am dependent on another, I who have always gained my own livelihood honestly.”
“我变成了一个依赖别人的人,我这个一直以诚实赚钱谋生的人。”

“Do not let that disturb you, I have enough for two.”
“别为此而困扰,我有足够的供两个人生活。”

“No, truly; you may believe me if you will; —
“不,真的;你可以相信我;每个月底我都会被内疚折磨。” —

at the end of every month I am tormented by remorse.”
“好心的卡德鲁斯!”

“Good Caderousse!”
“是的,以至于昨天我没收那两百法郎。”

“So much so, that yesterday I would not take the two hundred francs.”
“是的,你想和我谈谈;但那是真的内疚吗,告诉我。”

“Yes, you wished to speak to me; but was it indeed remorse, tell me?”
“真正的内疚;而且,一个想法闪过了我的脑海。”

“True remorse; and, besides, an idea had struck me.”
安德烈颤抖了一下;他每次都会在卡德鲁斯的想法上感到恐惧。

Andrea shuddered; he always did so at Caderousse’s ideas.
“这太痛苦了—你看得出吗—总是等到月底才能得到一些东西。”

“It is miserable—do you see?—always to wait till the end of the month.”
“噢,”安德烈以哲学的态度说,决定密切观察他的同伴,“生活不就是等待吗?”

“Oh,” said Andrea philosophically, determined to watch his companion narrowly, “does not life pass in waiting? —

Do I, for instance, fare better? Well, I wait patiently, do I not?”
举个例子,我会表现得更好吗?好吧,我会耐心等待,不是吗?

“Yes; because instead of expecting two hundred wretched francs, you expect five or six thousand, perhaps ten, perhaps even twelve, for you take care not to let anyone know the utmost. —
“是的,因为你不再期待只有两百个可怜的法郎,你可能期待着五千或六千,甚至可能是十二千,因为你小心翼翼地不让任何人知道最大限度。” —

Down there, you always had little presents and Christmas-boxes, which you tried to hide from your poor friend Caderousse. —
在那里,你总是收到一些小礼物和圣诞礼盒,你试图瞒着你可怜的朋友卡德鲁斯。 —

Fortunately he is a cunning fellow, that friend Caderousse.”
幸运的是,卡德鲁斯是个狡猾的家伙,老朋友卡德鲁斯。

“There you are beginning again to ramble, to talk again and again of the past! —
“你又开始胡言乱语了,一遍又一遍地谈论过去! —

But what is the use of teasing me with going all over that again?”
但是用再次回顾那个有什么用呢?”

“Ah, you are only one-and-twenty, and can forget the past; —
“啊,你只有二十一岁,可以忘记过去; —

I am fifty, and am obliged to recollect it. —
我已经五十岁了,不得不记住它。 —

But let us return to business.”
但是让我们回到生意上。”

“Yes.”
“好。”

“I was going to say, if I were in your place——”
“我要说的是,如果我是你的话——”

“Well.”
“好吧。”

“I would realize——”
“我会实现——”

“How would you realize?”
“你会如何实现?”

“I would ask for six months’ in advance, under pretence of being able to purchase a farm, then with my six months I would decamp.”
“我将要求提前六个月的房租,借口是为了购买一座农场,然后我凭借着那六个月的费用,就会离开这里。”

“Well, well,” said Andrea, “that isn’t a bad idea.”
“好吧,”安德烈说,“这不是一个坏主意。”

“My dear friend,” said Caderousse, “eat of my bread, and take my advice; —
“我亲爱的朋友,”卡德鲁斯说,“请吃我的面包,并接受我的建议; —

you will be none the worse off, physically or morally.”
“无论在身体上还是道德上,你都不会有任何损失。”

“But,” said Andrea, “why do you not act on the advice you gave me? —
“但是,”安德烈说,“你为什么不按照你给我的建议去行动呢? —

Why do you not realize a six months’, a year’s advance even, and retire to Brussels? —
“你为什么不提前六个月,甚至一年,退居布鲁塞尔呢? —

Instead of living the retired baker, you might live as a bankrupt, using his privileges; —
“你可以像退休的破产者一样生活,享受他的特权; —

that would be very good.”
“那将会非常好。”

“But how the devil would you have me retire on twelve hundred francs?”
“但是你让我靠一千二百法郎退休,你是怎么想的?”

“Ah, Caderousse,” said Andrea, “how covetous you are! —
“啊,卡德鲁斯,”安德烈说,“你是多么贪婪啊! —

Two months ago you were dying with hunger.”
“两个月前,你还快饿死了。”

“The appetite grows by what it feeds on,” said Caderousse, grinning and showing his teeth, like a monkey laughing or a tiger growling. —
“食欲靠饥饿而生长,”卡德鲁斯咧嘴一笑,露出他的牙齿,像猴子一样笑或者像老虎一样咆哮。 —

“And,” added he, biting off with his large white teeth an enormous mouthful of bread, “I have formed a plan.”
“而且,”他补充道,用他那剥大片的白牙咬下一个巨大的面包口,“我已经制定了一个计划。”

Caderousse’s plans alarmed Andrea still more than his ideas; —
Caderousse的计划比他的想法更让Andrea感到担忧; —

ideas were but the germ, the plan was reality.
想法只是种子,计划才是现实。

“Let me see your plan; I dare say it is a pretty one.”
“让我看看你的计划;我敢说它一定很不错。”

“Why not? Who formed the plan by which we left the establishment of M——! eh? —
“为什么不呢?谁制定了我们离开M院的计划?嗯? —

was it not I? and it was no bad one I believe, since here we are!”
难道不是我吗?而且这个计划也不坏,因为我们到这里了!”

“I do not say,” replied Andrea, “that you never make a good one; but let us see your plan.”
“我不是说,”Andrea回答道,“你从来没有制定过一个好计划;但让我们来看看你的计划。”

“Well,” pursued Caderousse, “can you without expending one sou, put me in the way of getting fifteen thousand francs? —
“好吧,”Caderousse继续说,“你能不花一分钱的帮我找到一万五千法郎吗? —

No, fifteen thousand are not enough,—I cannot again become an honest man with less than thirty thousand francs.”
不,一万五千还不够,我至少需要三万法郎才能再次成为一个正直的人。”

“No,” replied Andrea, dryly, “no, I cannot.”
“不,”Andrea干巴巴地回答道,“不行。”

“I do not think you understand me,” replied Caderousse, calmly; —
“我觉得你不明白我的意思,”Caderousse平静地回答说; —

“I said without your laying out a sou.”
“我说的是不需要你花一分钱。”

“Do you want me to commit a robbery, to spoil all my good fortune—and yours with mine—and both of us to be dragged down there again?”
“你愿意我再次参与抢劫,破坏我们的幸运,把你和我都拖入其中吗?”

“It would make very little difference to me,” said Caderousse, “if I were retaken, I am a poor creature to live alone, and sometimes pine for my old comrades; —
“对我来说几乎没有什么区别,”卡德鲁斯说,“如果我再被抓住,独自生活对我来说是一种折磨,有时我会渴望见到我的老伙伴们,不像你这个没心没肺的家伙,你会很高兴再也见不到他们。” —

not like you, heartless creature, who would be glad never to see them again.”
安德烈这次不仅只是颤抖,他脸色变得苍白。

Andrea did more than tremble this time, he turned pale.
“别紧张,卡德鲁斯,别胡思乱想!”他说。

“Come, Caderousse, no nonsense!” said he.
“别吓唬我,小本尼代托!”他说。

“Don’t alarm yourself, my little Benedetto, but just point out to me some means of gaining those thirty thousand francs without your assistance, and I will contrive it.”
“别担心,我的小本尼代托,只要给我指出一些不需要你帮忙就能赚到三万法郎的方法,我会想办法的。”

“Well, I’ll see—I’ll try to contrive some way,” said Andrea.
“好吧,我会尽力想办法的,”安德烈说。

“Meanwhile you will raise my monthly allowance to five hundred francs, my little fellow? —
“同时,你会把我的月津贴提高到五百法郎吗,我的小伙计?我有点小愿望,想请一个女管家。” —

I have a fancy, and mean to get a housekeeper.”
“嗯,你将会拿到你的五百法郎,”安德烈说。

“Well, you shall have your five hundred francs,” said Andrea; —

“but it is very hard for me, my poor Caderousse—you take advantage——”
“但是这对我来说很难,可怜的卡德鲁斯——你在利用我——”

“Bah,” said Caderousse, “when you have access to countless stores.”
“哼,”卡德鲁斯说,“当你有无数财富可供利用时。”

One would have said Andrea anticipated his companion’s words, so did his eye flash like lightning, but it was but for a moment.
安德烈似乎预知了他伙伴的话,他的眼睛闪烁着闪电般的光芒,但只持续了一瞬间。

“True,” he replied, “and my protector is very kind.”
“没错,”他回答说,“我的保护者非常仁慈。”

“That dear protector,” said Caderousse; “and how much does he give you monthly?”
“那位亲爱的保护者,”卡德鲁斯说,“他每个月给你多少钱?”

“Five thousand francs.”
“五千法郎。”

“As many thousands as you give me hundreds! Truly, it is only bastards who are thus fortunate. —
“和你给我几百法郎一样多!真是只有私生子才能这么幸运。” —

Five thousand francs per month! What the devil can you do with all that?”
“每个月五千法郎!你到底可以拿这么多钱做什么呢?”

“Oh, it is no trouble to spend that; and I am like you, I want capital.”
“哦,花掉那些钱并不费事,我和你一样,也想有资本。”

“Capital?—yes—I understand—everyone would like capital.”
“资本?—是的—我明白—每个人都希望有资本。”

“Well, and I shall get it.”
“嗯,我会得到的。”

“Who will give it to you—your prince?”
“是谁会给你——你的王子吗?”

“Yes, my prince. But unfortunately I must wait.”
“是的,我的王子。但不幸的是我必须等待。”

“You must wait for what?” asked Caderousse.
“你必须等待什么?”卡德鲁斯问道。

“For his death.”
“等待他的死亡。”

“The death of your prince?”
“你王子的死亡?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“How so?”
“怎么回事?”

“Because he has made his will in my favor.”
“因为他在遗嘱中把财产留给了我。”

“Indeed?”
“真的吗?”

“On my honor.”
“我发誓。”

“For how much?”
“值多少钱?”

“For five hundred thousand.”
“五十万。”

“Only that? It’s little enough.”
“只有那么点?太少了。”

“But so it is.”
“事实就是这样。”

“No, it cannot be!”
“不,不可能!”

“Are you my friend, Caderousse?”
“你是我的朋友,卡德鲁斯。”

“Yes, in life or death.”
“是的,在生与死之间。”

“Well, I will tell you a secret.”
“好吧,我告诉你一个秘密。”

“What is it?”
“是什么?”

“But remember——”
“但要记住——”

“Ah! pardieu! mute as a carp.”
“啊!小天使爱德华(法语骂人词)像哑巴一样。”

“Well, I think——”
“嗯,我想——”

Andrea stopped and looked around.
安德烈停下来看了看周围。

“You think? Do not fear; pardieu! we are alone.”
“你在想什么?别怕, 小天使爱德华,我们是独自一人。”

“I think I have discovered my father.”
“我想我找到了我的父亲。”

“Your true father?”
“你的亲生父亲?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Not old Cavalcanti?”
“不是老卡瓦尔坎蒂吗?”

“No, for he has gone again; the true one, as you say.”
“不是,因为他又走了;像你说的那个亲生父亲。”

“And that father is——”
“那个父亲是——”

“Well, Caderousse, it is Monte Cristo.”
“嗯,卡德鲁斯,就是蒙蒂·克里斯托。”

“Bah!”
“呸!”

“Yes, you understand, that explains all. —
“是的,你明白了,这一切都有了解释。 —

He cannot acknowledge me openly, it appears, but he does it through M. Cavalcanti, and gives him fifty thousand francs for it.”
显然他不能公开承认我,但他通过卡瓦尔坎蒂来做到了,并为此给了他五万法郎。”

“Fifty thousand francs for being your father? —
“五万法郎,就因为我是你的父亲? —

I would have done it for half that, for twenty thousand, for fifteen thousand; —
我愿意为了一半的价钱,两万,一万五千来做这件事; —

why did you not think of me, ungrateful man?”
你为什么不考虑我,忘恩负义的家伙?”

“Did I know anything about it, when it was all done when I was down there?”
“当我在那边的时候,这些事情都是在我不知情的情况下发生的,我怎么知道?”

“Ah, truly? And you say that by his will——”
“啊,真的吗?你说他遗嘱里说到了——”

“He leaves me five hundred thousand livres.”
“他给了我五十万法郎。”

“Are you sure of it?”
“你确定吗?”

“He showed it me; but that is not all—there is a codicil, as I said just now.”
“他给我看了,但这还没完——还有个遗嘱附录,我刚刚说过。”

“Probably.”
“很可能。”

“And in that codicil he acknowledges me.”
“在那个附录里,他承认了我。”

“Oh, the good father, the brave father, the very honest father! —
“哦,好父亲啊,勇敢的父亲,十分诚实的父亲! —

” said Caderousse, twirling a plate in the air between his two hands.
”卡德鲁斯边转动着手中的盘子边说道。

“Now, say if I conceal anything from you?”
“现在,你觉得我对你隐瞒了什么吗?”

“No, and your confidence makes you honorable in my opinion; —
“没有,你的坦诚使我对你刮目相看; —

and your princely father, is he rich, very rich?”
你那位高贵的父亲,他是富有的吗,非常富有?”

“Yes, he is that; he does not himself know the amount of his fortune.”
“是的,他就是那样的人;他自己也不知道他有多少财富。”

“Is it possible?”
“这可能吗?”

“It is evident enough to me, who am always at his house. —
“对我来说,很明显,因为我总是在他家。” —

The other day a banker’s clerk brought him fifty thousand francs in a portfolio about the size of your plate; —
“前几天,一位银行职员给他带来了五万法郎,放在一个和你的盘子差不多大小的文件夹里; —

yesterday his banker brought him a hundred thousand francs in gold.”
昨天,他的银行家给他带来了十万法郎的黄金。”

Caderousse was filled with wonder; the young man’s words sounded to him like metal, and he thought he could hear the rushing of cascades of louis.
“卡德鲁斯满怀惊讶;年轻人的话听起来像金属,他觉得自己能听到一阵又一阵的路易斯的悠然倾泻。

“And you go into that house?” cried he briskly.
“你进那座房子?”他活泼地喊道。

“When I like.”
“想进就进。”

Caderousse was thoughtful for a moment. It was easy to perceive he was revolving some unfortunate idea in his mind. Then suddenly,—
“卡德鲁斯思考了片刻。很容易看出他脑海中盘旋着某种不幸的想法。然后突然间,—

“How I should like to see all that,” cried he; “how beautiful it must be!”
“真希望能看到那一切,”他喊道,“一定很美丽!”

“It is, in fact, magnificent,” said Andrea.
“实际上,确实华丽,”安德烈说。

“And does he not live in the Champs-Élysées?”
“他不是住在香榭丽舍大街上吗?”

“Yes, No. 30.”
“是的,30号。”

“Ah,” said Caderousse, “No. 30.”
“啊,”卡德鲁斯说,“30号。”

“Yes, a fine house standing alone, between a courtyard and a garden,—you must know it.”
“是的,一座漂亮的独立房子,位于一个庭院和一个花园之间,你一定要去看看。”

“Possibly; but it is not the exterior I care for, it is the interior. —
“可能吧,但我关心的不是外表,而是内部。” —

What beautiful furniture there must be in it!”
“里面一定有很漂亮的家具!”

“Have you ever seen the Tuileries?”
“你见过图尔宫吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“Well, it surpasses that.”
“那个房子比图尔宫还要漂亮。”

“It must be worth one’s while to stoop, Andrea, when that good M. Monte Cristo lets fall his purse.”
“当好心的蒙特克里斯托先生掉落他的钱包时,弯腰捡起来一定是值得的,安德烈。”

“It is not worthwhile to wait for that,” said Andrea; —
“等那个才不值得。”安德烈说道。 —

“money is as plentiful in that house as fruit in an orchard.”
“在那个房子里,钱像果园里的水果一样多。”

“But you should take me there one day with you.”
“但你应该把我带去一天。”

“How can I? On what plea?”
“我怎么可能呢?以什么借口?”

“You are right; but you have made my mouth water. I must absolutely see it; I shall find a way.”
“你说得对,但你让我垂涎三尺。我一定要去看看,我一定会找到办法。”

“No nonsense, Caderousse!”
“别胡闹,卡德鲁斯!”

“I will offer myself as floor-polisher.”
“我可以自愿当地板抛光工。”

“The rooms are all carpeted.”
“房间里都铺了地毯。”

“Well, then, I must be contented to imagine it.”
“那么,我必须满足于想象了。”

“That is the best plan, believe me.”
“相信我,那是最好的计划。”

“Try, at least, to give me an idea of what it is.”
“至少试着给我一个概念吧。”

“How can I?”
“我怎么能呢?”

“Nothing is easier. Is it large?”
“没有什么比这更容易的了。它大吗?”

“Middling.”
“中等大小。”

“How is it arranged?”
“它是如何布置的呢?”

“Faith, I should require pen, ink, and paper to make a plan.”
“信心,我需要笔、墨水和纸来制定一个计划。”

“They are all here,” said Caderousse, briskly. —
“它们都在这里,”卡德鲁斯干脆利落地说道。 —

He fetched from an old secretaire a sheet of white paper and pen and ink. —
他从一个古老的书桌上拿出一张白纸、一支笔和墨水。 —

“Here,” said Caderousse, “draw me all that on the paper, my boy.”
“在这张纸上给我画出来,我的孩子。”卡德鲁斯说道。

Andrea took the pen with an imperceptible smile and began.
安德烈微微一笑,拿起笔开始画。

“The house, as I said, is between the court and the garden; —
“正如我所说,房子位于庭院和花园之间; —

in this way, do you see?” Andrea drew the garden, the court and the house.
就是这样,你看到了吗?”安德烈画出了花园、庭院和房子。

“High walls?”
“高墙?”

“Not more than eight or ten feet.”
“不超过八到十英尺。”

“That is not prudent,” said Caderousse.
“那不太谨慎,”卡德鲁斯说道。

“In the court are orange-trees in pots, turf, and clumps of flowers.”
“庭院里有盆栽的柑橘树、草坪和花丛。”

“And no steel-traps?”
“没有陷阱吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“The stables?”
“马厩呢?”

“Are on either side of the gate, which you see there.” And Andrea continued his plan.
“在大门的两侧,你看到那里。”安德烈继续画他的计划。

“Let us see the ground floor,” said Caderousse.
“让我们先看一下一楼。” 卡德鲁斯说道。

“On the ground floor, dining-room, two drawing-rooms, billiard-room, staircase in the hall, and a little back staircase.”
“一楼有餐厅、两个客厅、台球室、大厅里有一条楼梯,还有一条小后楼梯。”

“Windows?”
“窗户呢?”

“Magnificent windows, so beautiful, so large, that I believe a man of your size should pass through each frame.”
“宏伟的窗户,美丽而宽大,我相信你这样身材的人都可以通过每个窗框。”

“Why the devil have they any stairs with such windows?”
“见鬼,他们为什么还给这些窗户配了楼梯?”

“Luxury has everything.”
“奢华无所不有。”

“But shutters?”
“但是百叶窗呢?”

“Yes, but they are never used. That Count of Monte Cristo is an original, who loves to look at the sky even at night.”
“有,但从来不用。那个蒙蒂克里斯托伯爵是个怪人,连晚上也喜欢看天空。”

“And where do the servants sleep?”
“仆人们睡在哪里?”

“Oh, they have a house to themselves. Picture to yourself a pretty coach-house at the right-hand side where the ladders are kept. —
“哦,他们有自己的住处。想象一下右边有个漂亮的马车房子,里面放着梯子。” —

Well, over that coach-house are the servants’ rooms, with bells corresponding with the different apartments.”
“好吧,在那个马车房子的上面是仆人们的房间,有铃与不同的公寓相对应。”

“Ah, diable! bells did you say?”
“啊,该死!你刚才说铃吗?”

“What do you mean?”
“你什么意思?”

“Oh, nothing! I only say they cost a load of money to hang, and what is the use of them, I should like to know?”
“哦,没什么!我只是说挂铃要花很多钱,而且它们有什么用处,我很想知道。”

“There used to be a dog let loose in the yard at night, but it has been taken to the house at Auteuil, to that you went to, you know.”
“过去有一只狗在晚上被放出在院子里,但是现在已经被带到了欧泰伊屋子里,你去过那里的,你知道。”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“I was saying to him only yesterday, ‘You are imprudent, Monsieur Count; —
“我昨天只跟他说了一句话,‘您真是太无谓了,伯爵先生; —

for when you go to Auteuil and take your servants the house is left unprotected. —
因为当您去欧泰伊并带上您的仆人时,屋子就无人看守了。 —

’ ‘Well,’ said he, ‘what next?’ ‘Well, next, some day you will be robbed.’”
‘‘好吧,’他说,‘接下来呢?’‘哼,接下来,总有一天您会被盗的。’”

“What did he answer?”
“他怎么回答?”

“He quietly said, ‘What do I care if I am?’”
“他一脸淡定地说,‘我管他呢?’”

“Andrea, he has some secretaire with a spring.”
“安德烈,他有一个带有弹簧的秘书柜。”

“How do you know?”
“你怎么知道?”

“Yes, which catches the thief in a trap and plays a tune. —
“是啊,它可以把贼困在里面,然后唱个曲子。 —

I was told there were such at the last exhibition.”
我听说上次展览会有这样的东西。”

“He has simply a mahogany secretaire, in which the key is always kept.”
“他只是有一个桃花心木的秘书柜,钥匙总是放在里面。”

“And he is not robbed?”
“但是他没有被盗过?”

“No; his servants are all devoted to him.”
“没有;他的仆人都对他忠心耿耿。”

“There ought to be some money in that secretaire?”
“那秘书柜里应该有些钱吧?”

“There may be. No one knows what there is.”
“可能有吧。没有人知道那里有什么。”

“And where is it?”
“那在哪里?”

“On the first floor.”
“在一楼。”

“Sketch me the plan of that floor, as you have done of the ground floor, my boy.”
“给我画一下那层楼的平面图,就像你之前给我画的底层一样,孩子。”

“That is very simple.” Andrea took the pen. —
“那很简单。”安德烈拿起了笔。 —

“On the first story, do you see, there is the anteroom and the drawing-room; —
“在一楼,你看,有门厅和客厅; —

to the right of the drawing-room, a library and a study; —
客厅的右边是图书馆和书房; —

to the left, a bedroom and a dressing-room. —
左边是一间卧室和一个更衣室。 —

The famous secretaire is in the dressing-room.”
那个著名的书桌就在更衣室里。”

“Is there a window in the dressing-room?”
“更衣室有窗户吗?”

“Two,—one here and one there.” Andrea sketched two windows in the room, which formed an angle on the plan, and appeared as a small square added to the rectangle of the bedroom. —
“有两个,一个在这里,一个在那里。”安德烈在房间里勾画出两个窗户,它们位于平面图上形成一个角的房间上,看起来像是添加到卧室矩形的一个小正方形。 —

Caderousse became thoughtful.
卡德鲁斯陷入沉思。

“Does he often go to Auteuil?” added he.
“他经常去奥特伊吗?”他又问道。

“Two or three times a week. Tomorrow, for instance, he is going to spend the day and night there.”
“一周两三次。明天,例如,他要去那里度过一整天一整夜。”

“Are you sure of it?”
“你确定吗?”

“He has invited me to dine there.”
“他邀请我去那里用餐。”

“There’s a life for you,” said Caderousse; “a town house and a country house.”
“那对你来说是一种生活,”卡得呦斯说,“城里有一座房子,还有一座乡间别墅。”

“That is what it is to be rich.”
“这就是富有的意义。”

“And shall you dine there?”
“你会去那里用餐吗?”

“Probably.”
“很可能。”

“When you dine there, do you sleep there?”
“当你在那里用餐的时候,你会在那里过夜吗?”

“If I like; I am at home there.”
“如果我愿意的话;在那里我就像在家里。”

Caderousse looked at the young man, as if to get at the truth from the bottom of his heart. —
卡得呦斯用目光探求年轻人的内心真相。 —

But Andrea drew a cigar-case from his pocket, took a Havana, quietly lit it, and began smoking.
但安德里亚从口袋里拿出一个雪茄盒,拿出一支哈瓦那雪茄,悠闲地点燃了它开始抽烟。

“When do you want your twelve hundred francs?” said he to Caderousse.
“你要什么时候拿你的一千二百法郎?”他对卡得呦斯说道。

“Now, if you have them.” Andrea took five-and-twenty louis from his pocket.
“现在如果你有的话。”安德里亚从口袋里掏出二十五枚金币。

“Yellow boys?” said Caderousse; “no, I thank you.”
“金币?”卡得呦斯说,“不用了,谢谢。”

“Oh, you despise them.”
“哦,你瞧不起它们。”

“On the contrary, I esteem them, but will not have them.”
“恰恰相反,我很看重它们,但是不想要。”

“You can change them, idiot; gold is worth five sous.”
“你可以换掉它们,笨蛋;金币价值五个苏。”

“Exactly; and he who changes them will follow friend Caderousse, lay hands on him, and demand what farmers pay him their rent in gold. —
“没错,谁要是敢更改他们,我就教他们跟着卡德鲁斯朋友,动手抓住他,问问哪些农民用黄金支付他们的租金。” —

No nonsense, my good fellow; silver simply, round coins with the head of some monarch or other on them. —
“别胡说,伙计,只是银币而已,圆形的,上面有某位君主的头像。” —

Anybody may possess a five-franc piece.”
“任何人都可以拥有一枚五法郎的硬币。”

“But do you suppose I carry five hundred francs about with me? I should want a porter.”
“但你以为我随身携带五百法郎啊?我得找个搬运工。”

“Well, leave them with your porter; he is to be trusted. I will call for them.”
“好吧,就交给你的搬运工保管吧,他是可信任的。我会去取的。”

“Today?”
“今天吗?”

“No, tomorrow; I shall not have time today.”
“不,明天;我今天没时间。”

“Well, tomorrow I will leave them when I go to Auteuil.”
“好吧,明天我去奥特伊尔的时候会交给他们。”

“May I depend on it?”
“我能相信你吗?”

“Certainly.”
“当然可以。”

“Because I shall secure my housekeeper on the strength of it.”
“因为我会以此来保护我的管家。”

“Now see here, will that be all? Eh? And will you not torment me any more?”
“听着,这样就够了吗?嗯?你不会再纠缠我了吧?”

“Never.”
“绝不会。”

Caderousse had become so gloomy that Andrea feared he should be obliged to notice the change. —
卡德鲁斯变得如此阴郁,以至于安德烈担心自己不得不注意到这种变化。 —

He redoubled his gayety and carelessness.
他加倍地开朗和无所顾忌。

“How sprightly you are,” said Caderousse; —
“你太活泼了,”卡德鲁斯说; —

“One would say you were already in possession of your property.”
“你都可以说你已经拥有了你的财产。”

“No, unfortunately; but when I do obtain it——”
“不,不幸的是;但是当我获得它的时候——”

“Well?”
“好的?”

“I shall remember old friends, I can tell you that.”
“我会记得老朋友的,我可以告诉你。”

“Yes, since you have such a good memory.”
“是的,因为你有这样好的记忆力。”

“What do you want? It looks as if you were trying to fleece me?”
“你想要什么?看起来你在想要欺骗我?”

“I? What an idea! I, who am going to give you another piece of good advice.”
“我?怎么会!我要给你另一个好建议。”

“What is it?”
“什么建议?”

“To leave behind you the diamond you have on your finger. —
“把你手指上的钻石留下来吧。 —

We shall both get into trouble. You will ruin both yourself and me by your folly.”
我们俩都会惹上麻烦的。你会因为你的愚蠢而毁掉你自己和我。”

“How so?” said Andrea.
“怎么会?”安德烈说。

“How? You put on a livery, you disguise yourself as a servant, and yet keep a diamond on your finger worth four or five thousand francs.”
“怎么会?你穿上制服,伪装成仆人,却在手指上戴着价值四五千法郎的钻石。”

“You guess well.”
“你猜得对。”

“I know something of diamonds; I have had some.”
“我对钻石有点了解;我曾经拥有过一些。”

“You do well to boast of it,” said Andrea, who, without becoming angry, as Caderousse feared, at this new extortion, quietly resigned the ring. —
“你为此而夸耀自己做得很好”,安德烈说道,他没有生气,正如卡德鲁斯所担心的那样,他平静地放弃了戒指。 —

Caderousse looked so closely at it that Andrea well knew that he was examining to see if all the edges were perfect.
卡德鲁斯看得那么仔细,以至于安德烈很清楚他是在检查是否所有的边缘都完美无缺。

“It is a false diamond,” said Caderousse.
“这是假钻石,”卡德鲁斯说道。

“You are joking now,” replied Andrea.
“你现在在开玩笑了。”安德烈回答道。

“Do not be angry, we can try it.” Caderousse went to the window, touched the glass with it, and found it would cut.
“不要生气,我们可以试试。”卡德鲁斯走到窗前,用钻石碰了碰玻璃,发现它可以切割。

Confiteor!” said Caderousse, putting the diamond on his little finger; “I was mistaken; —
“我承认!”卡德鲁斯说着,把钻石戴在小指上,“我弄错了; —

but those thieves of jewellers imitate so well that it is no longer worthwhile to rob a jeweller’s shop—it is another branch of industry paralyzed.”
但这些恶棍的珠宝商仿得如此逼真,到现在已经不值得去抢劫珠宝店了,这是另外一种瘫痪的行业。”

“Have you finished?” said Andrea,—“do you want anything more? —
“你结束了吗?”安德烈说,“你还想要什么吗? —

—will you have my waistcoat or my hat? Make free, now you have begun.”
你想要我的背心还是我的帽子?尽管拿,你已经开始了。”

“No; you are, after all, a good companion; —
“不,毕竟你是一个好伴侣; —

I will not detain you, and will try to cure myself of my ambition.”
我不会耽搁你,我会试图治愈我的野心。”

“But take care the same thing does not happen to you in selling the diamond you feared with the gold.”
“但要小心,不要在出售你担心的金子时发生同样的事情。”

“I shall not sell it—do not fear.”
“我不会卖的,不用担心。”

“Not at least till the day after tomorrow,” thought the young man.
“至少要等到后天。”年轻人心想。

“Happy rogue,” said Caderousse; “you are going to find your servants, your horses, your carriage, and your betrothed!”
“快乐的混蛋,”卡德鲁斯说,“你将会找到你的仆人,你的马匹,你的马车,还有你的未婚妻!”

“Yes,” said Andrea.
“是的,”安德烈说。

“Well, I hope you will make a handsome wedding-present the day you marry Mademoiselle Danglars.”
“好吧,我希望你在娶当格拉小姐的那天能送上一份漂亮的结婚礼物。”

“I have already told you it is a fancy you have taken in your head.”
“我已经告诉过你,这只是你脑子里的一个幻想。”

“What fortune has she?”
“她有多少财富?”

“But I tell you——”
“但是我告诉你——”

“A million?”
“一百万?”

Andrea shrugged his shoulders.
安德烈耸了耸肩。

“Let it be a million,” said Caderousse; “you can never have so much as I wish you.”
“就让它成为一百万吧,”卡德鲁斯说,“你永远无法拥有我所希望的那么多。”

“Thank you,” said the young man.
“谢谢,”年轻人说。

“Oh, I wish it you with all my heart!” added Caderousse with his hoarse laugh. —
“哦,我真心地希望你能拥有!”卡德鲁斯带着嘶哑的笑声补充道。 —

“Stop, let me show you the way.”
“停下,让我给你指路。”

“It is not worthwhile.”
“这不值得。”

“Yes, it is.”
“是的,值得。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because there is a little secret, a precaution I thought it desirable to take, one of Huret & Fichet’s locks, revised and improved by Gaspard Caderousse; —
“因为有一个小秘密,我觉得值得采取预防措施,是Huret & Fichet的锁,由Gaspard Caderousse进行了修订和改进。” —

I will manufacture you a similar one when you are a capitalist.”
“当你成为一个资本家时,我会给你制造一个类似的。”

“Thank you,” said Andrea; “I will let you know a week beforehand.”
“谢谢,”安德烈说,“一周前我会通知你的。”

They parted. Caderousse remained on the landing until he had not only seen Andrea go down the three stories, but also cross the court. —
他们分别了。卡德鲁斯一直站在楼梯口,直到他不仅看到安德烈下了三层楼,还走过庭院。 —

Then he returned hastily, shut his door carefully, and began to study, like a clever architect, the plan Andrea had left him.
然后他急忙回到房间,小心地关上门,开始像一个聪明的建筑师一样研究安德烈给他留下的计划。

“Dear Benedetto,” said he, “I think he will not be sorry to inherit his fortune, and he who hastens the day when he can touch his five hundred thousand will not be his worst friend.”
“亲爱的贝内代托,我想他继承财产不会感到遗憾,而且那个急于想到达触摸五十万的日子的人将不会是他最坏的朋友。”