Caderousse continued to call piteously, “Help, reverend sir, help!”
卡德鲁斯继续悲叫着:“救命,尊敬的先生,救命!”

“What is the matter?” asked Monte Cristo.
蒙特克里斯托问道:“发生了什么事?”

“Help,” cried Caderousse; “I am murdered!”
“救命!”卡德鲁斯喊道,“我要被谋杀了!”

“We are here;—take courage.”
“我们在这里,振作起来。”

“Ah, it’s all over! You are come too late—you are come to see me die. —
“啊,太晚了!你们来得太晚了,你们来看我死。” —

What blows, what blood!”
多么重的打击,多么多的血!

He fainted. Ali and his master conveyed the wounded man into a room. —
他晕倒了。阿里和他的主人将受伤的人带进了一个房间。 —

Monte Cristo motioned to Ali to undress him, and he then examined his dreadful wounds.
蒙特克里斯托示意阿里帮他脱衣服,然后他检查了他可怕的伤口。

“My God!” he exclaimed, “thy vengeance is sometimes delayed, but only that it may fall the more effectually. —
“我的上帝!”他惊呼道,“你的复仇有时会延迟,但只是为了更加有力地降临。” —

” Ali looked at his master for further instructions. —
阿里看着他的主人等待进一步的指示。 —

“Bring here immediately the king’s attorney, M. de Villefort, who lives in the Faubourg Saint-Honoré. —
“立即把国王的检察官维尔福先生带来,他住在法博尔街圣奥诺雷区。 —

As you pass the lodge, wake the porter, and send him for a surgeon.”
在经过门房时,叫醒门房,让他去找一位医生。”

Ali obeyed, leaving the abbé alone with Caderousse, who had not yet revived.
阿里听从了命令,留下了教士和还没有苏醒过来的卡德鲁斯。

When the wretched man again opened his eyes, the count looked at him with a mournful expression of pity, and his lips moved as if in prayer. —
当这个可怜的人再次睁开眼睛时,伯爵面带怜悯的表情看着他,嘴唇仿佛在默默祈祷。 —

“A surgeon, reverend sir—a surgeon!” said Caderousse.
“一位外科医生,尊敬的先生——一位外科医生!”卡德鲁斯说。

“I have sent for one,” replied the abbé.
“我已经派人去请了。”修道士回答道。

“I know he cannot save my life, but he may strengthen me to give my evidence.”
“我知道他不能救我性命,但他可以激励我作证。”

“Against whom?”
“对着谁作证呢?”

“Against my murderer.”
“对着我的杀人犯。”

“Did you recognize him?”
“你认出了他吗?”

“Yes; it was Benedetto.”
“是的,他就是本尼托。”

“The young Corsican?”
“那个年轻的科西嘉人?”

“Himself.”
“就是他。”

“Your comrade?”
“你的同伙?”

“Yes. After giving me the plan of this house, doubtless hoping I should kill the count and he thus become his heir, or that the count would kill me and I should be out of his way, he waylaid me, and has murdered me.”
“是的。在给我这个房子的布置图之后,他无疑希望我能杀死伯爵,然后他成为他的继承人,或者伯爵杀了我,我就不会在他的路上,他伏击了我,把我杀了。”

“I have also sent for the procureur.”
“我还叫了检察官。”

“He will not come in time; I feel my life fast ebbing.”
“他来不及了;我感到自己的生命正在迅速消逝。”

“Wait a moment,” said Monte Cristo. He left the room, and returned in five minutes with a phial. —
“等一下,”蒙德克里斯托说。他离开房间,五分钟后带着一个小药瓶回来了。 —

The dying man’s eyes were all the time riveted on the door, through which he hoped succor would arrive.
这个垂死的人时刻盯着门,希望救援能到来。

“Hasten, reverend sir, hasten! I shall faint again! —
“快点,尊敬的先生,快点!我又要晕过去了!” —

” Monte Cristo approached, and dropped on his purple lips three or four drops of the contents of the phial. —
蒙特·克里斯托走近,向他紫红的唇上滴下了瓶中的三四滴液体。 —

Caderousse drew a deep breath. “Oh,” said he, “that is life to me; more, more!”
卡德罗斯深吸一口气。“哦,”他说,“对我来说这就是生命;再来一点,再来一点!”

“Two drops more would kill you,” replied the abbé.
“再来两滴会把你杀死的,”修道士回答道。

“Oh, send for someone to whom I can denounce the wretch!”
“哦,请找个人来,我要向他举报这个恶棍!”

“Shall I write your deposition? You can sign it.”
“我可以写下你的陈述吗?你可以签字。”

“Yes, yes,” said Caderousse; and his eyes glistened at the thought of this posthumous revenge. —
“是的,是的。”卡德鲁斯说道,他的眼睛因为这段事之后的报复而闪闪发光。 —

Monte Cristo wrote:
基督山恩人写道:

“I die, murdered by the Corsican Benedetto, my comrade in the galleys at Toulon, No. 59.”
“我被科西嘉人贝内代托谋杀,他是我在土伦劳改营的同伴,号码是59。”

“Quick, quick!” said Caderousse, “or I shall be unable to sign it.”
“快点,快点!“卡德鲁斯说,“否则我将无法签字。”

Monte Cristo gave the pen to Caderousse, who collected all his strength, signed it, and fell back on his bed, saying:
基督山恩人把笔递给卡德鲁斯,他集聚了所有的力气,签下了名字,然后倒在床上说道:

“You will relate all the rest, reverend sir; you will say he calls himself Andrea Cavalcanti. —
“其余的事情你会全部讲述的,先生。你会说他自称是安德烈·卡瓦尔坎蒂。 —

He lodges at the Hôtel des Princes. Oh, I am dying!” He again fainted. —
他住在普林西斯酒店。哦,我快死了!”他再次昏倒过去。 —

The abbé made him smell the contents of the phial, and he again opened his eyes. —
修道士让他嗅了嗅瓶子里的内容物,他又睁开了眼睛。 —

His desire for revenge had not forsaken him.
他对报复的渴望并未离他而去。

“Ah, you will tell all I have said, will you not, reverend sir?”
“啊,你会把我说的都告诉别人,不是吗,先生?”

“Yes, and much more.”
“是的,还会更多。”

“What more will you say?”
“你还会说些什么?”

“I will say he had doubtless given you the plan of this house, in the hope the count would kill you. —
“我会说他肯定给了你这座房子的计划,希望伯爵会杀了你。 —

I will say, likewise, he had apprised the count, by a note, of your intention, and, the count being absent, I read the note and sat up to await you.”
我要说的是,同样地,他已经通过一封便条告知了伯爵你的意图,而且由于伯爵不在,我阅读了这封便条并坐下等待你。”

“And he will be guillotined, will he not?” said Caderousse. —
“他会被送上断头台的,不是吗?”卡德鲁斯问道。 —

“Promise me that, and I will die with that hope.”
“答应我这个,并且我将满怀希望地去死。”

“I will say,” continued the count, “that he followed and watched you the whole time, and when he saw you leave the house, ran to the angle of the wall to conceal himself.”
“我要说的是,他一直跟踪你并监视你,当他看到你离开房子时,他就跑到墙角躲藏起来。”

“Did you see all that?”
“你都看见了吗?”

“Remember my words: ‘If you return home safely, I shall believe God has forgiven you, and I will forgive you also.’”
“记住我的话:‘如果你安然回家,我将相信上帝已经宽恕了你,我也将原谅你。’”

“And you did not warn me!” cried Caderousse, raising himself on his elbows. —
“你没有警告我!”卡德鲁斯大声喊道,撑起身子。 —

“You knew I should be killed on leaving this house, and did not warn me!”
“你知道我离开这个房子就会被杀害,但你没有警告我!”

“No; for I saw God’s justice placed in the hands of Benedetto, and should have thought it sacrilege to oppose the designs of Providence.”
“不,因为我看到了上帝的公正置于贝内代托手中,而且我认为反对上帝的安排是亵渎。”

“God’s justice! Speak not of it, reverend sir. —
“上帝的公正!不要谈论它,尊敬的先生。 —

If God were just, you know how many would be punished who now escape.”
如果上帝公正的话,那么现在逃脱惩罚的人将会有多少人受到惩罚。

“Patience,” said the abbé, in a tone which made the dying man shudder; “have patience!”
“耐心,”修道士说道,语气让垂死的人不寒而栗;”要有耐心!”

Caderousse looked at him with amazement.
卡德鲁斯用惊讶的眼神看着他。

“Besides,” said the abbé, “God is merciful to all, as he has been to you; —
修道士说道:”此外,上帝对所有人都是仁慈的,就像他对你一样;他首先是一个父亲,然后是一个法官。” —

he is first a father, then a judge.”
“那么,你相信上帝吗?” 卡德鲁斯问道。

“Do you then believe in God?” said Caderousse.
蒙特克里斯托回答道:”如果直到现在我如此不幸地不信仰他,那么看到你我必须相信。”

“Had I been so unhappy as not to believe in him until now, ” said Monte Cristo, “I must believe on seeing you.”
而我现在必须相信。

Caderousse raised his clenched hands towards heaven.
卡德鲁斯将他攥紧的手举向天堂。

“Listen,” said the abbé, extending his hand over the wounded man, as if to command him to believe; —
“听着,”修士伸出手覆盖在受伤者身上,仿佛在命令他相信; —

“this is what the God in whom, on your death-bed, you refuse to believe, has done for you—he gave you health, strength, regular employment, even friends—a life, in fact, which a man might enjoy with a calm conscience. —
“这就是在你临终时你拒绝相信的上帝为你所做的事情——他给了你健康、力量、稳定的工作,甚至朋友——一个人可以心安理得地享受的生活。 —

Instead of improving these gifts, rarely granted so abundantly, this has been your course—you have given yourself up to sloth and drunkenness, and in a fit of intoxication have ruined your best friend.”
而你却没有好好利用这些难得如此丰富地赐予你的礼物,你沉溺于懒散和酗酒,一时醉酒竟然毁了你最好的朋友。”

“Help!” cried Caderousse; “I require a surgeon, not a priest; —
“救命!”卡德鲁斯喊道,“我需要的是外科医生,不是牧师; —

perhaps I am not mortally wounded—I may not die; —
也许我并没有致命伤——也许我不会死; —

perhaps they can yet save my life.”
也许他们还可以救我的命。”

“Your wounds are so far mortal that, without the three drops I gave you, you would now be dead. Listen, then.”
“你的伤势本来是致命的,如果不是我给你的那三滴药,你现在早已死去。听着。”

“Ah,” murmured Caderousse, “what a strange priest you are; —
“啊,”卡德鲁斯喃喃道,“你是个多么奇怪的牧师; —

you drive the dying to despair, instead of consoling them.”
你驱使濒临死亡的人绝望,而不是安慰他们。”

“Listen,” continued the abbé. “When you had betrayed your friend, God began not to strike, but to warn you. —
“听着,”修道士继续说,“当你背叛了你的朋友时,上帝开始不是打击你,而是警告你。 —

Poverty overtook you. You had already passed half your life in coveting that which you might have honorably acquired; —
贫困降临到你身上。你已经度过了一半的生命去渴望那些你本可以光明正大地获得的东西; —

and already you contemplated crime under the excuse of want, when God worked a miracle in your behalf, sending you, by my hands, a fortune—brilliant, indeed, for you, who had never possessed any. —
当你因贫困的借口而计划犯罪时,上帝为你创造了一个奇迹,通过我手送给了你一笔财富——对你来说确实是辉煌的,因为你从未拥有过任何财富。 —

But this unexpected, unhoped-for, unheard-of fortune sufficed you no longer when you once possessed it; —
但是这个意外的、不曾期望的财富一旦你拥有了,你就不再满足; —

you wished to double it, and how?—by a murder! —
你想要翻倍,如何翻倍呢?——通过谋杀! —

You succeeded, and then God snatched it from you, and brought you to justice.”
你成功了,然后上帝夺走了它,并将你带到了法庭。

“It was not I who wished to kill the Jew,” said Caderousse; “it was La Carconte.”
“是拉卡康特切下了犹太人的头颅,而不是我,”卡德鲁斯说。

“Yes,” said Monte Cristo, “and God,—I cannot say in justice, for his justice would have slain you,—but God, in his mercy, spared your life.”
“是的,”蒙特克里斯托说,“上帝——我不能说是正义,因为他的正义会杀死你——但上帝,在他的怜悯中,保全了你的生命。”

Pardieu! to transport me for life, how merciful!”
“见鬼!终身流放对我来说怎么算是仁慈!”

“You thought it a mercy then, miserable wretch! —
“你当时以为是一种仁慈,可怜的可怜虫! —

The coward who feared death rejoiced at perpetual disgrace; —
那个害怕死亡的懦夫对于永久的耻辱感到高兴; —

for like all galley-slaves, you said, ‘I may escape from prison, I cannot from the grave. —
因为像所有的艄公一样,你曾说过:‘我或许可以从监狱逃脱,但无法从坟墓中逃脱。’ —

’ And you said truly; the way was opened for you unexpectedly. —
你说得没错;机会突如其来地向你敞开了。 —

An Englishman visited Toulon, who had vowed to rescue two men from infamy, and his choice fell on you and your companion. —
一位英国人来到土伦,发誓要拯救两个人免于耻辱,而他的选择落在了你和你的同伴身上。 —

You received a second fortune, money and tranquillity were restored to you, and you, who had been condemned to a felon’s life, might live as other men. —
你得到了第二次机会,金钱和宁静回到了你身边,你这个被判处歹徒生活的人可以像其他人一样生活。 —

Then, wretched creature, then you tempted God a third time. —
然后,可怜的人,你第三次诱惑上帝。” —

‘I have not enough,’ you said, when you had more than you before possessed, and you committed a third crime, without reason, without excuse. —
“你说自己不够了,”你说道,尽管你拥有比以前更多,却犯下了第三个罪行,没有理由,没有借口。 —

God is wearied; he has punished you.”
“上帝已经厌倦了;他惩罚了你。”

Caderousse was fast sinking. “Give me drink,” said he: “I thirst—I burn! —
卡德鲁斯正在迅速垮下去。“给我喝点东西,”他说道:“我口渴——我燃烧着!” —

” Monte Cristo gave him a glass of water. —
蒙蒂克里斯托给他一杯水。 —

“And yet that villain, Benedetto, will escape!”
“然而那个恶棍贝内代托将逃脱!”

“No one, I tell you, will escape; Benedetto will be punished.”
“没有人,我告诉你,会逃脱;贝内代托会受到惩罚。”

“Then, you, too, will be punished, for you did not do your duty as a priest—you should have prevented Benedetto from killing me.”
“那么,你也会受到惩罚,因为你没有履行作为一个牧师的职责——你应该阻止贝内代托杀了我。”

“I?” said the count, with a smile which petrified the dying man, “when you had just broken your knife against the coat of mail which protected my breast! —
“我?”伴随着一个让垂死的人吓呆的微笑,蒙蒂克里斯托说道,“当你刚才的刀子在保护我胸前的锁子甲上折断的时候! —

Yet perhaps if I had found you humble and penitent, I might have prevented Benedetto from killing you; —
也许如果我发现你谦卑悔改,我本可以阻止贝内代托杀了你; —

but I found you proud and blood-thirsty, and I left you in the hands of God.”
但我发现你傲慢且嗜血,于是将你交给了上帝的手里。”

“I do not believe there is a God,” howled Caderousse; —
“我不相信有上帝。”卡德鲁斯嘶吼道。 —

“you do not believe it; you lie—you lie!”
“你不相信;你撒谎——你撒谎!”

“Silence,” said the abbé; “you will force the last drop of blood from your veins. What! —
“安静,”修道士说,“你会让最后一滴鲜血流尽的。怎么! —

you do not believe in God when he is striking you dead? —
当上帝要击毙你时,你是不相信他的? —

you will not believe in him, who requires but a prayer, a word, a tear, and he will forgive? —
你不会相信他,只需要一次祈祷、一个字、一滴眼泪,他就会宽恕你? —

God, who might have directed the assassin’s dagger so as to end your career in a moment, has given you this quarter of an hour for repentance. —
上帝本可以让刺客的匕首在瞬间结束你的生命,却给了你这一刻钟的悔悟时间。 —

Reflect, then, wretched man, and repent.”
所以,可怜的人,反思并悔改吧。”

“No,” said Caderousse, “no; I will not repent. There is no God; —
“不,”卡德鲁斯说,“不;我不会悔改。没有上帝; —

there is no Providence—all comes by chance.”
没有天命—一切都是偶然。”

“There is a Providence; there is a God,” said Monte Cristo, “of whom you are a striking proof, as you lie in utter despair, denying him, while I stand before you, rich, happy, safe and entreating that God in whom you endeavor not to believe, while in your heart you still believe in him.”
“有天命;有上帝,”蒙特克里斯托说,“你就是一个明证,你在极度绝望中否定他,而我却站在你面前,富有、幸福、安全,并恳求那个你努力不去相信的上帝,尽管在你的内心里你仍然相信他。”

“But who are you, then?” asked Caderousse, fixing his dying eyes on the count.
“那你是谁?”卡德鲁斯问道,他的垂死眼神盯着伯爵。

“Look well at me!” said Monte Cristo, putting the light near his face.
“好好看着我!”蒙特克里斯托把灯光靠近他的脸。

“Well, the abbé—the Abbé Busoni.” Monte Cristo took off the wig which disfigured him, and let fall his black hair, which added so much to the beauty of his pallid features.
“好吧,修道士 - 巴苏尼修道士。”蒙特克里斯托摘下了让他脸部变形的假发,放下他那头乌黑的秀发,这为他苍白的面容增添了许多美感。

“Oh?” said Caderousse, thunderstruck, “but for that black hair, I should say you were the Englishman, Lord Wilmore.”
“哦?”卡德鲁斯震惊地说,“要不是你那乌黑的头发,我要说你是英国人威尔默勋爵。”

“I am neither the Abbé Busoni nor Lord Wilmore, ” said Monte Cristo; “think again,—do you not recollect me?”
“我既不是巴苏尼修道士,也不是威尔默勋爵,”蒙特克里斯托说道,“再想想,你不记得我了吗?”

There was a magic effect in the count’s words, which once more revived the exhausted powers of the miserable man.
蒙特克里斯托的话语产生了一种魔力效应,再次唤醒了这个可怜男子精疲力竭的力量。

“Yes, indeed,” said he; “I think I have seen you and known you formerly.”
“是的,确实是这样,”他说,“我想我以前见过你、认识过你。”

“Yes, Caderousse, you have seen me; you knew me once.”
“是的,卡德鲁斯,你见过我,你曾经认识过我。”

“Who, then, are you? and why, if you knew me, do you let me die?”
“那么,你到底是谁?如果你认识我,为什么要让我去死?”

“Because nothing can save you; your wounds are mortal. —
“因为没有什么可以救你的了,你的伤势已经无法挽回了。” —

Had it been possible to save you, I should have considered it another proof of God’s mercy, and I would again have endeavored to restore you, I swear by my father’s tomb.”
如果有可能拯救你,我将会视之为上帝怜悯的另一个证明,我将会再次努力来恢复你,我发誓以我父亲的坟墓为证。

“By your father’s tomb!” said Caderousse, supported by a supernatural power, and half-raising himself to see more distinctly the man who had just taken the oath which all men hold sacred; —
“以你父亲的坟墓为证!”卡德鲁斯说道,神秘的力量支持着他,他半坐起来更清晰地看着刚刚宣誓的那个人,这个誓言被所有人认为是神圣的。 —

“who, then, are you?”
“那么,你是谁?”

The count had watched the approach of death. He knew this was the last struggle. —
伯爵已经看到了死亡的降临,他知道这是最后的挣扎。 —

He approached the dying man, and, leaning over him with a calm and melancholy look, he whispered, “I am—I am——”
他走近那个垂死的人,用一种平静而忧郁的眼神靠近他,他轻声说道,“我是——我是——”

And his almost closed lips uttered a name so low that the count himself appeared afraid to hear it. —
他几乎闭合的嘴唇发出了一个声音很低的名字,以至于伯爵自己似乎害怕听到它。 —

Caderousse, who had raised himself on his knees, and stretched out his arm, tried to draw back, then clasping his hands, and raising them with a desperate effort, “Oh, my God, my God! —
卡德鲁斯已经爬到了膝盖上,伸出手来试图后退,然后绝望地举起双手,“哦,我的上帝,我的上帝! —

” said he, “pardon me for having denied thee; —
”他说道,“请原谅我曾否认了你; —

thou dost exist, thou art indeed man’s father in heaven, and his judge on earth. —
你确实存在,你是人类在天上的父亲,也是地上的法官。 —

My God, my Lord, I have long despised thee! —
我的上帝,我的主啊,我长久以来都轻视你! —

Pardon me, my God; receive me, Oh, my Lord!”
原谅我,我的上帝;接纳我,哦,我的主!

Caderousse sighed deeply, and fell back with a groan. —
卡德鲁斯深深地叹了口气,痛苦地倒退了一步。 —

The blood no longer flowed from his wounds. He was dead.
鲜血不再从他的伤口中流出。他已经死了。

One!” said the count mysteriously, his eyes fixed on the corpse, disfigured by so awful a death.
“一个!”伯爵神秘地说道,他的眼睛紧盯着那个被如此恐怖的死亡所毁容的尸体。

Ten minutes afterwards the surgeon and the procureur arrived, the one accompanied by the porter, the other by Ali, and were received by the Abbé Busoni, who was praying by the side of the corpse.
十分钟后,外科医生和检察官到达,一个是由门卫陪同,一个是由阿里陪同,并被在尸体旁边祈祷的布索尼修道士接待。