Then,” continued Beauchamp, “I took advantage of the silence and the darkness to leave the house without being seen. —
然后,”贝肖康继续说道,“我趁着寂静和黑暗,没被人看见地离开了那栋房子。 —

The usher who had introduced me was waiting for me at the door, and he conducted me through the corridors to a private entrance opening into the Rue de Vaugirard. —
引导我的招待员在门口等着我,他带我穿过走廊到了一扇通往沃吉拉尔街的私人入口。 —

I left with mingled feelings of sorrow and delight. —
我离开时心情复杂,既感到悲伤又感到高兴。 —

Excuse me, Albert,—sorrow on your account, and delight with that noble girl, thus pursuing paternal vengeance. —
不好意思,艾伯特——悲伤是为了你,高兴是因为那位崇高的女孩在追求父亲的复仇。 —

Yes, Albert, from whatever source the blow may have proceeded—it may be from an enemy, but that enemy is only the agent of Providence.”
是的,艾伯特,无论打击来自何方——也许是来自敌人,但那个敌人只是上天的代理人。”

Albert held his head between his hands; he raised his face, red with shame and bathed in tears, and seizing Beauchamp’s arm:
艾伯特抱着头,泪水湿透了红着的脸,羞耻地抓住贝肖康的胳膊:

“My friend,” said he, “my life is ended. —
“我的朋友,”他说,“我的生命结束了。 —

I cannot calmly say with you, ‘Providence has struck the blow; —
我不能像你那样冷静地说‘上天打击了我’; —

’ but I must discover who pursues me with this hatred, and when I have found him I shall kill him, or he will kill me. —
但我必须找出是谁在追杀我,当我找到他时,我会杀了他,或者他会杀了我。 —

I rely on your friendship to assist me, Beauchamp, if contempt has not banished it from your heart.”
我的朋友Beauchamp,如果蔑视没有从你的心中驱逐我的友谊,我仍然依赖你来帮助我。

“Contempt, my friend? How does this misfortune affect you? —
蔑视,我的朋友?这个不幸如何影响你呢? —

No, happily that unjust prejudice is forgotten which made the son responsible for the father’s actions. —
不,幸运的是,那个认为儿子应对父亲的行为负责的不公正偏见已经被遗忘。 —

Review your life, Albert; although it is only just beginning, did a lovely summer’s day ever dawn with greater purity than has marked the commencement of your career? —
回顾一下你的生活,阿尔伯特;尽管它才刚刚开始,是否有一个美丽的夏日以如此纯洁标志着你职业生涯的开始? —

No, Albert, take my advice. You are young and rich—leave Paris—all is soon forgotten in this great Babylon of excitement and changing tastes. —
不,阿尔伯特,听取我的建议吧。你年轻、富有——离开巴黎吧——在这个令人兴奋且变幻莫测的巴比伦,一切很快就会被遗忘。 —

You will return after three or four years with a Russian princess for a bride, and no one will think more of what occurred yesterday than if it had happened sixteen years ago.”
你将在三四年后带着一个俄罗斯公主回来,届时谁也不会比昨天发生的事情更介意,就像它发生在十六年前一样。

“Thank you, my dear Beauchamp, thank you for the excellent feeling which prompts your advice; —
非常感谢你,我亲爱的Beauchamp,感谢你的良好感情促使你提出的建议; —

but it cannot be. I have told you my wish, or rather my determination. —
但这是不可能的。我已经告诉过你我的愿望,或者说我的决心。 —

You understand that, interested as I am in this affair, I cannot see it in the same light as you do. —
你知道,尽管我对这件事情很感兴趣,但我不能像你那样看待它。 —

What appears to you to emanate from a celestial source, seems to me to proceed from one far less pure. —
对你而言似乎来自天籁之源的东西,在我看来却来自一个远不那么纯净的地方。 —

Providence appears to me to have no share in this affair; —
尽我所见,这个事件与天意无关; —

and happily so, for instead of the invisible, impalpable agent of celestial rewards and punishments, I shall find one both palpable and visible, on whom I shall revenge myself, I assure you, for all I have suffered during the last month. —
而这样很幸运,因为我将找到一个既可以感知又可以看见的人,我向你保证,我会为过去一个月所受的一切痛苦向他报复。 —

Now, I repeat, Beauchamp, I wish to return to human and material existence, and if you are still the friend you profess to be, help me to discover the hand that struck the blow.”
现在,我再说一遍,博古姆,我想回到人世和物质世界中,如果你真的是你自称的朋友,帮我找出打击我的人吧。”

“Be it so,” said Beauchamp; “if you must have me descend to earth, I submit; —
“好吧,随你的便,”博古姆说,“如果你要我回到人间,我同意; —

and if you will seek your enemy, I will assist you, and I will engage to find him, my honor being almost as deeply interested as yours.”
如果你想找到你的敌人,我会帮助你,并且我承诺我会找到他,因为我的荣誉几乎和你的一样受到了严重的影响。”

“Well, then, you understand, Beauchamp, that we begin our search immediately. —
“那么,你明白,博古姆,我们立即开始搜索。” —

Each moment’s delay is an eternity for me. —
每一刻的延误对我来说都是一种永恒。 —

The calumniator is not yet punished, and he may hope that he will not be; —
诽谤者至今没有受到惩罚,他可能希望不会有惩罚; —

but, on my honor, if he thinks so, he deceives himself.”
但是,以我的名誉来说,如果他这样认为,他是在欺骗自己。”

“Well, listen, Morcerf.”
“好吧,听着,莫尔塞夫。”

“Ah, Beauchamp, I see you know something already; you will restore me to life.”
“啊,博修昂,我看得出你已经知道一些事情了;你会让我重获新生。”

“I do not say there is any truth in what I am going to tell you, but it is, at least, a ray of light in a dark night; —
“我不是说我要告诉你的事情是真实的,但至少它是黑夜中的一束光芒; —

by following it we may, perhaps, discover something more certain.”
通过追随它,也许我们可以发现更确定的事情。”

“Tell me; satisfy my impatience.”
“告诉我吧,满足我的不耐烦。”

“Well, I will tell you what I did not like to mention on my return from Yanina.”
“好吧,我会告诉你我在从亚伦返回后不愿提及的事情。”

“Say on.”
“说吧。”

“I went, of course, to the chief banker of the town to make inquiries. —
“我去了当地的主要银行家那里打听情况。 —

At the first word, before I had even mentioned your father’s name”—
在我甚至没有提到你父亲的名字之前”——

“‘Ah,’ said he. ‘I guess what brings you here.’
“‘啊,’他说:“我猜到你来这里是为了什么。”

“‘How, and why?’
“‘怎么,为什么?’

“‘Because a fortnight since I was questioned on the same subject.’
“‘因为两个星期前我就被问到同样的问题了。’

“‘By whom?’
“‘是谁?’

“‘By a banker of Paris, my correspondent.’
“‘是巴黎的一位银行家,我在巴黎的朋友。’

“‘Whose name is——’
“‘他的名字是——’

“‘Danglars.’”
“‘Danglars。’”

“He!” cried Albert; “yes, it is indeed he who has so long pursued my father with jealous hatred. —
“啊!”艾伯特喊道,“没错,就是他一直以来对我父亲怀有嫉妒之心的那个人。 —

He, the man who would be popular, cannot forgive the Count of Morcerf for being created a peer; —
“他,那个一心想要受人欢迎的人,无法原谅蒙塞夫伯爵成为贵族; —

and this marriage broken off without a reason being assigned—yes, it is all from the same cause.”
“这次婚姻的破裂没有任何理由——是的,全部都是出自同一个原因。”

“Make inquiries, Albert, but do not be angry without reason; —
“艾伯特,先去打听清楚再发火; —

make inquiries, and if it be true——”
“去打听一下,如果是真的——”

“Oh, yes, if it be true,” cried the young man, “he shall pay me all I have suffered.”
“噢,是的,如果是真的,”年轻人大声说道,“他会为我所遭受的一切付出代价。”

“Beware, Morcerf, he is already an old man.”
“小心,莫塞夫,他已经是个老人了。”

“I will respect his age as he has respected the honor of my family; —
“我会尊重他的年龄,就像他尊重我家族的荣誉一样; —

if my father had offended him, why did he not attack him personally? —
“如果我父亲得罪了他,他为什么不亲自攻击他呢? —

Oh, no, he was afraid to encounter him face to face.”
“哦,不,他害怕与他面对面地交锋。”

“I do not condemn you, Albert; I only restrain you. Act prudently.”
“我不指责你,艾伯特;我只是在约束你。要谨慎行事。”

“Oh, do not fear; besides, you will accompany me. —
“哦,不用担心;另外,你会跟我一起去的。” —

Beauchamp, solemn transactions should be sanctioned by a witness. —
“Bowshot,庄严的交易应该有证人证明。” —

Before this day closes, if M. Danglars is guilty, he shall cease to live, or I shall die. —
“在这一天结束之前,如果当格拉尔先生有罪,他就将停止生命,否则我就会死去。” —

Pardieu, Beauchamp, mine shall be a splendid funeral!”
“看吧,Bowshot,我的葬礼将会很壮观!”

“When such resolutions are made, Albert, they should be promptly executed. —
“当做出这样的决定时,艾伯特,应该迅速执行。” —

Do you wish to go to M. Danglars? Let us go immediately.”
“你想去找当格拉尔先生吗?让我们立即去。”

They sent for a cabriolet. On entering the banker’s mansion, they perceived the phaeton and servant of M. Andrea Cavalcanti.
在经过了迅速找来的一辆双轮马车后,他们进入了银行家的庄园,他们注意到了马克西姆·安德烈耶维奇·卡瓦尔坎蒂的马车和仆人。

“Ah! parbleu! that’s good,” said Albert, with a gloomy tone. —
“啊!失陪,那太好了,”艾伯特带着一种阴郁的口气说道。 —

“If M. Danglars will not fight with me, I will kill his son-in-law; —
“如果当格拉尔先生不跟我打架,我会杀了他的女婿;卡瓦尔坎蒂肯定会打架。” —

Cavalcanti will certainly fight.”
仆人宣布了这位年轻人的到来;但是银行家想起了前一天发生的事情,不希望他被允许进来。

The servant announced the young man; but the banker, recollecting what had transpired the day before, did not wish him admitted. —
“如果Danglars先生不愿意与我战斗,我就会杀了他的女婿;卡尔瓦尔坎蒂肯定会战斗。” —

It was, however, too late; Albert had followed the footman, and, hearing the order given, forced the door open, and followed by Beauchamp found himself in the banker’s study.
然而,已经晚了。阿尔伯特跟随着仆人,听到命令后,强行打开了门,跟着博舍安一起进入了银行家的书房。

“Sir,” cried the latter, “am I no longer at liberty to receive whom I choose in my house? —
“先生,”后者喊道,“我是否再没有自由只能接待我自己选择的人? —

You appear to forget yourself sadly.”
你似乎严重忘了自己是谁。”

“No, sir,” said Albert, coldly; “there are circumstances in which one cannot, except through cowardice,—I offer you that refuge, —refuse to admit certain persons at least.”
“不,先生,”阿尔伯特冷冷地说,“有些情况下,除非是懦弱——我给你这个避难所——否则不能拒绝至少让某些人进入。”

“What is your errand, then, with me, sir?”
“那么,你找我有什么事情,先生?”

“I mean,” said Albert, drawing near, and without apparently noticing Cavalcanti, who stood with his back towards the fireplace—“I mean to propose a meeting in some retired corner where no one will interrupt us for ten minutes; —
“我是说,”阿尔伯特靠近了一些,并且似乎没有注意到卡瓦尔坎蒂,他站在壁炉前。“我是说在一些人不会打扰我们的僻静角落提议见面, —

that will be sufficient—where two men having met, one of them will remain on the ground.”
十分钟足够了,在两个人见面后,其中一个将留在地面上。”

Danglars turned pale; Cavalcanti moved a step forward, and Albert turned towards him.
当党格拉尔变得苍白时,卡瓦尔坎蒂向前走了一步,而阿尔伯特转向了他。

“And you, too,” said he, “come, if you like, monsieur; —
他说道:“你也来吧,先生,如果你愿意;毕竟你几乎算是我们的一员,只要有人愿意接受,我会安排尽可能多的见面。” —

you have a claim, being almost one of the family, and I will give as many rendezvous of that kind as I can find persons willing to accept them.”
卡瓦尔坎蒂带着惊讶的神色看着当格拉尔斯,后者努力着起身站在两个年轻人之间。

Cavalcanti looked at Danglars with a stupefied air, and the latter, making an effort, arose and stepped between the two young men. —
阿尔贝的对安德里亚的袭击使得他们之间的关系发生了变化,他希望安德里亚这次来访有着不同的原因。 —

Albert’s attack on Andrea had placed him on a different footing, and he hoped this visit had another cause than that he had at first supposed.
“实际上,先生,”他对阿尔贝说道,“如果你是因为我选择了他而和这位先生争吵,我就把这个案子交给国王的检察官。”

“Indeed, sir,” said he to Albert, “if you are come to quarrel with this gentleman because I have preferred him to you, I shall resign the case to the king’s attorney.”
“你误解了,先生,”莫尔斯夫板着一张阴郁的笑脸说道;

“You mistake, sir,” said Morcerf with a gloomy smile; —
“我完全没有提到结婚一事,我只是向卡瓦尔坎蒂先生发问,因为他似乎想要插手我们之间的事情。 —

“I am not referring in the least to matrimony, and I only addressed myself to M. Cavalcanti because he appeared disposed to interfere between us. —
在某种程度上你是对的,因为今天我准备和每个人争吵; —

In one respect you are right, for I am ready to quarrel with everyone today; —
但请你放心,我并不是因为你选择了他而和你争吵。 —

but you have the first claim, M. Danglars.”
但是你有第一个声明权,M. Danglars。

“Sir,” replied Danglars, pale with anger and fear, “I warn you, when I have the misfortune to meet with a mad dog, I kill it; —
“先生,”Danglars回答说,气愤和害怕地变得苍白,“我警告你,当我不幸遇到一只疯狗时,我会杀死它; —

and far from thinking myself guilty of a crime, I believe I do society a kindness. —
而且我并不认为自己有罪,我相信我对社会是一种善行。 —

Now, if you are mad and try to bite me, I will kill you without pity. —
现在,如果你疯了并试图咬我,我会毫不怜悯地杀死你。 —

Is it my fault that your father has dishonored himself?”
你父亲自取其辱,难道这是我的错吗?”

“Yes, miserable wretch!” cried Morcerf, “it is your fault.”
“是的,可悲的家伙!”Morcerf大声喊道,“这是你的错。”

Danglars retreated a few steps. “My fault?” said he; “you must be mad! —
Danglars退后了几步。“我的错?”他说。“你一定疯了! —

What do I know of the Grecian affair? Have I travelled in that country? —
我了解希腊的事情吗?我去过那个国家吗? —

Did I advise your father to sell the castle of Yanina—to betray——”
是我劝告你父亲出售Yanina城堡——出卖——”

“Silence!” said Albert, with a thundering voice. “No; —
“闭嘴!”Albert用雷鸣般的声音说。“不; —

it is not you who have directly made this exposure and brought this sorrow on us, but you hypocritically provoked it.”
直接让这个事情曝光并给我们带来这个悲伤的不是你,而是你虚伪地引发了它。”

“I?”
“我?”

“Yes; you! How came it known?”
“是的;就是你!怎么会被知道的?”

“I suppose you read it in the paper in the account from Yanina?”
“我猜你在Yanina的报道里读到了吧?”

“Who wrote to Yanina?”
“谁给Yanina写信了?”

“To Yanina?”
“给Yanina写信?”

“Yes. Who wrote for particulars concerning my father?”
“是的。谁为了询问我父亲的详情而写信呢?”

“I imagine anyone may write to Yanina.”
“我猜可以有很多人给Yanina写信。”

“But one person only wrote!”
“但只有一个人写了!”

“One only?”
“只有一个吗?”

“Yes; and that was you!”
“是的;就是你!”

“I, doubtless, wrote. It appears to me that when about to marry your daughter to a young man, it is right to make some inquiries respecting his family; —
“我无疑写了。我觉得当要把你女儿嫁给一个年轻人时,了解一下他的家庭情况是正确的;这不仅是权利,更是职责。” —

it is not only a right, but a duty.”
“你写信的时候,肯定知道会得到什么回答。”

“You wrote, sir, knowing what answer you would receive.”
“我?确实,我向你郑重声明,如果我知道Ali Pasha的不幸之事,我绝不会考虑给Yanina写信。”

“I, indeed? I assure you,” cried Danglars, with a confidence and security proceeding less from fear than from the interest he really felt for the young man, “I solemnly declare to you, that I should never have thought of writing to Yanina, did I know anything of Ali Pasha’s misfortunes.”
“那么,是谁促使你写信的?告诉我。”

“Who, then, urged you to write? Tell me.”
“当然了!这是再简单不过的事情了。我只是在谈论你父亲的过去历史,提到他财富的来源不明。”

Pardieu! it was the most simple thing in the world. —
“我是说,我在谈论你父亲过去的历史。” —

I was speaking of your father’s past history. —
“我是说,他财富的来源依然神秘。” —

I said the origin of his fortune remained obscure. —
“我在说的是,他的过去财富的来源依然不明。” —

The person to whom I addressed my scruples asked me where your father had acquired his property? —
我对我痛苦的事情提出质问的那个人问我你父亲的财产是在哪儿得来的? —

I answered, ‘In Greece.’—‘Then,’ said he, ‘write to Yanina.’”
我回答道:“在希腊。”—“那么,”他说,“给雅尼纳写信吧。”

“And who thus advised you?”
“是谁建议你这么做的?”

“No other than your friend, Monte Cristo.”
“没有别人,正是你的朋友,蒙特克里斯托。”

“The Count of Monte Cristo told you to write to Yanina?”
“蒙特克里斯托伯爵让你给雅尼纳写信?”

“Yes; and I wrote, and will show you my correspondence, if you like.”
“是的,我写了,如果你愿意的话,我可以给你看我交流的信件。”

Albert and Beauchamp looked at each other.
阿尔贝和博沙哥目光交汇。

“Sir,” said Beauchamp, who had not yet spoken, “you appear to accuse the count, who is absent from Paris at this moment, and cannot justify himself.”
“先生,”博沙哥说,他还没有开口,“你似乎在指责正在巴黎外地的伯爵,并且他无法为自己辩护。”

“I accuse no one, sir,” said Danglars; —
“我并没有指责任何人,先生,”但格拉尔回答道; —

“I relate, and I will repeat before the count what I have said to you.”
“我只是陈述事实,并且我会在伯爵面前重复我对你说的一切。”

“Does the count know what answer you received?”
“伯爵知道你收到的回答吗?”

“Yes; I showed it to him.”
“是的,我给他看过。”

“Did he know my father’s Christian name was Fernand, and his family name Mondego?”
“他知道我父亲的基督教名字是费尔南德,姓氏是蒙德戈吗?”

“Yes, I had told him that long since, and I did only what any other would have done in my circumstances, and perhaps less. —
“是的,很久以前我就告诉过他,并且在我这种情况下只做了任何其他人都会做的事情,甚至更少。 —

When, the day after the arrival of this answer, your father came by the advice of Monte Cristo to ask my daughter’s hand for you, I decidedly refused him, but without any explanation or exposure. —
当天在蒙蒂克里斯托的建议下,你父亲为了向我求亲,我果断地拒绝了他,但没有任何解释或揭露。 —

In short, why should I have any more to do with the affair? —
总之,我为什么还要再与这件事有关呢? —

How did the honor or disgrace of M. de Morcerf affect me? —
蒙泰克里斯托夫人荣辱于我有何影响呢? —

It neither increased nor decreased my income.”
这既没有增加也没有减少我的收入。”

Albert felt the blood mounting to his brow; there was no doubt upon the subject. —
阿尔贝感到面红耳赤,毫无疑问地, —

Danglars defended himself with the baseness, but at the same time with the assurance, of a man who speaks the truth, at least in part, if not wholly—not for conscience’ sake, but through fear. —
当格拉尔为自己辩护时,他表现出了卑鄙和自信,像一个说实话的人,至少在某种程度上,即使不是全部,也并非为了良心的缘故,而是出于恐惧。 —

Besides, what was Morcerf seeking? It was not whether Danglars or Monte Cristo was more or less guilty; —
而且,莫塞尔夫在寻找什么?不是要判断当格拉尔或蒙蒂克里斯托谁更或者更不有罪; —

it was a man who would answer for the offence, whether trifling or serious; —
他找的是一个为这个罪行负责的人,无论这罪行是轻微还是严重。” —

it was a man who would fight, and it was evident Danglars would not fight.
那是一个愿意战斗的人,而显然达格拉斯不愿战斗。

In addition to this, everything forgotten or unperceived before presented itself now to his recollection. —
此外,之前被遗忘或未察觉的一切,现在都涌上他的脑海中。 —

Monte Cristo knew everything, as he had bought the daughter of Ali Pasha; —
蒙特·克里斯托知道一切,因为他买下了阿里帕夏的女儿。 —

and, knowing everything, he had advised Danglars to write to Yanina. —
知道一切后,他建议达格拉斯写信给扬尼纳。 —

The answer known, he had yielded to Albert’s wish to be introduced to Haydée, and allowed the conversation to turn on the death of Ali, and had not opposed Haydée’s recital (but having, doubtless, warned the young girl, in the few Romaic words he spoke to her, not to implicate Morcerf’s father). —
答案既然已知,他就顺从了阿尔贝的愿望去见海黛,并且让他们的对话转向阿里的死亡,并且没有反对海黛的叙述(但他无疑在用自己跟她说的几句罗马尼亚语提醒这位年轻女孩,不要牵涉到莫塞夫的父亲)。 —

Besides, had he not begged of Morcerf not to mention his father’s name before Haydée? —
此外,他不是请求莫塞夫在海黛面前不提自己父亲的名字吗? —

Lastly, he had taken Albert to Normandy when he knew the final blow was near. —
最后,他在得知最后的打击即将来临时,带阿尔贝去了诺曼底。 —

There could be no doubt that all had been calculated and previously arranged; —
毫无疑问,一切都经过精心计划和事先安排; —

Monte Cristo then was in league with his father’s enemies. —
那么,蒙特·克里斯托就与他父亲的敌人勾结在一起了。 —

Albert took Beauchamp aside, and communicated these ideas to him.
阿尔贝把博光带到一边,向他传达了这些想法。

“You are right,” said the latter; “M. Danglars has only been a secondary agent in this sad affair, and it is of M. de Monte Cristo that you must demand an explanation.”
“你是对的,”后者说,“这件悲惨事件中,唐格拉先生仅仅是一个次要的代理人,你必须向蒙特克里斯托伯爵要求一个解释。”

Albert turned.
阿尔贝转身。

“Sir,” said he to Danglars, “understand that I do not take a final leave of you; —
“先生,”他对唐格拉说,“请明白,我并不是永远地离开你;我必须弄清楚你的暗示是否正确,现在我要去询问蒙特克里斯托伯爵。” —

I must ascertain if your insinuations are just, and am going now to inquire of the Count of Monte Cristo.”
他向银行家鞠躬,与博光一起走出去,似乎没有注意到卡瓦尔坎蒂。

He bowed to the banker, and went out with Beauchamp, without appearing to notice Cavalcanti. —
唐格拉陪他走到门口,再次向阿尔贝保证他对莫尔塞夫伯爵没有人身仇恨的动机。 —

Danglars accompanied him to the door, where he again assured Albert that no motive of personal hatred had influenced him against the Count of Morcerf.
请注意,唐格拉在Dooriencias门口向Albert保证,他对莫尔塞夫伯爵没有个人仇恨的动机。