At the banker’s door Beauchamp stopped Morcerf.
在银行家的门前,波昂夏停住了莫塞夫。

“Listen,” said he; “just now I told you it was of M. de Monte Cristo you must demand an explanation.”
“听着,”他说,“刚才我告诉你你必须向蒙特克里斯托先生要求解释。”

“Yes; and we are going to his house.”
“是的;我们要去他的家。”

“Reflect, Morcerf, one moment before you go.”
“考虑一下,莫塞夫,在你去之前再考虑一下。”

“On what shall I reflect?”
“我要考虑什么?”

“On the importance of the step you are taking.”
“考虑一下你所采取的这一步的重要性。”

“Is it more serious than going to M. Danglars?”
“比去找当格拉更严重吗?”

“Yes; M. Danglars is a money-lover, and those who love money, you know, think too much of what they risk to be easily induced to fight a duel. —
“是的;当然,达恩格拉先生是个爱钱的人,而那些爱财的人,你知道,他们对冒险的风险考虑得太多了,不容易被诱使去决斗。 —

The other is, on the contrary, to all appearance a true nobleman; —
另一个相反,看上去是个真正的贵族; —

but do you not fear to find him a bully?”
但是你不害怕找到一个恶棍吗?”

“I only fear one thing; namely, to find a man who will not fight.”
“我只害怕一件事,那就是找到一个不愿意打架的人。”

“Do not be alarmed,” said Beauchamp; “he will meet you. —
“别担心,”博尚说,“他会来见你的。 —

My only fear is that he will be too strong for you.”
我唯一担心的是他会比你强大。”

“My friend,” said Morcerf, with a sweet smile, “that is what I wish. —
“我的朋友,”莫尔塞夫微笑着说,“那正是我希望的。 —

The happiest thing that could occur to me, would be to die in my father’s stead; —
对我来说,最幸福的事情就是能够代替我的父亲死去; —

that would save us all.”
那样我们都会得救。”

“Your mother would die of grief.”
“你母亲会因为伤心而死。”

“My poor mother!” said Albert, passing his hand across his eyes, “I know she would; —
“可怜的母亲!”阿尔伯特用手擦了擦眼睛,“我知道她会这样; —

but better so than die of shame.”
但是和羞辱相比,还是这样好。”

“Are you quite decided, Albert?”
“你确定了,阿尔伯特吗?”

“Yes; let us go.”
“是的,我们走吧。”

“But do you think we shall find the count at home?”
“但是你觉得我们会在家里找到伯爵吗?”

“He intended returning some hours after me, and doubtless he is now at home.”
“他打算在我几个小时后回来,毫无疑问他现在应该在家里。”

They ordered the driver to take them to No. 30 Champs-Élysées. —
他们命令司机把他们送到香榭丽舍大街30号。 —

Beauchamp wished to go in alone, but Albert observed that as this was an unusual circumstance he might be allowed to deviate from the usual etiquette of duels. —
博尚想一个人进去,但阿尔贝特觉得这是个特殊情况,他可以违背常规的决斗礼节。 —

The cause which the young man espoused was one so sacred that Beauchamp had only to comply with all his wishes; —
这个年轻人所支持的事业是如此神圣,以至于博尚只需要顺从他的一切愿望; —

he yielded and contented himself with following Morcerf. —
他屈服了,只满足于跟随莫塞夫。 —

Albert sprang from the porter’s lodge to the steps. He was received by Baptistin. —
阿尔贝特从门房跳到楼梯上,迎接他的是巴普蒂斯坦。 —

The count had, indeed, just arrived, but he was in his bath, and had forbidden that anyone should be admitted.
伯爵确实刚到,但他正在洗澡,已经禁止任何人进入。

“But after his bath?” asked Morcerf.
“但是洗完澡呢?”莫塞夫问。

“My master will go to dinner.”
“我的主人会去吃晚饭。”

“And after dinner?”
“晚饭后呢?”

“He will sleep an hour.”
“他会睡一小时。”

“Then?”
“然后呢?”

“He is going to the Opera.”
“他要去看歌剧。”

“Are you sure of it?” asked Albert.
“你确定吗?”阿尔贝特问。

“Quite, sir; my master has ordered his horses at eight o’clock precisely.”
“当然了,先生;我的主人已经准时在八点钟叫了马。”

“Very good,” replied Albert; “that is all I wished to know.”
“很好。”阿尔伯特回答道,“这就是我想知道的一切。”

Then, turning towards Beauchamp, “If you have anything to attend to, Beauchamp, do it directly; —
然后,他转向博尚:“如果你有什么事情要处理,博尚,赶紧去做; —

if you have any appointment for this evening, defer it till tomorrow. —
如果你今晚有任何预约,就把它推迟到明天。 —

I depend on you to accompany me to the Opera; —
我指望你陪我去歌剧院; —

and if you can, bring Château-Renaud with you.”
如果可以的话,带上夏多莱努一起来。”

Beauchamp availed himself of Albert’s permission, and left him, promising to call for him at a quarter before eight. —
博尚得到了阿尔伯特的许可,离开了他,承诺在八点前十五分钟来接他。 —

On his return home, Albert expressed his wish to Franz Debray, and Morrel, to see them at the Opera that evening. —
当他回家时,阿尔伯特表达了他想要看到弗朗茨·德布雷和莫雷尔在今晚歌剧院的意愿。 —

Then he went to see his mother, who since the events of the day before had refused to see anyone, and had kept her room. —
然后他去看望他的母亲,自从前一天发生的事件以来,她拒绝见任何人,一直躲在房间里。 —

He found her in bed, overwhelmed with grief at this public humiliation.
他发现她躺在床上,因这次公开的羞辱而深感悲伤。

The sight of Albert produced the effect which might naturally be expected on Mercédès; —
阿尔伯特的出现对于梅赛德斯来说产生了自然而然的影响; —

she pressed her son’s hand and sobbed aloud, but her tears relieved her. —
她紧紧握住儿子的手,放声大哭,但她的眼泪让她感到宽慰。 —

Albert stood one moment speechless by the side of his mother’s bed. —
阿尔伯特茫然站在母亲的床边,一时说不出话来。 —

It was evident from his pale face and knit brows that his resolution to revenge himself was growing weaker.
从他苍白的脸和紧锁的眉头来看,他复仇的决心正在逐渐削弱。

“My dear mother,” said he, “do you know if M. de Morcerf has any enemy?”
“亲爱的妈妈,你知道莫尔塞夫先生有没有仇敌吗?”

Mercédès started; she noticed that the young man did not say “my father.”
梅赛德斯注意到这个年轻人没有称呼“我的父亲”,她感到吃惊。

“My son,” she said, “persons in the count’s situation have many secret enemies. —
“我儿,”她说,“像伯爵这样的人有很多隐秘的敌人。 —

Those who are known are not the most dangerous.”
那些被人们知晓的并不是最危险的。”

“I know it, and appeal to your penetration. You are of so superior a mind, nothing escapes you.”
“我知道,我请求你的洞察力。你的才智是如此出众,什么都逃不过你的眼睛。”

“Why do you say so?”
“你为什么这么说?”

“Because, for instance, you noticed on the evening of the ball we gave, that M. de Monte Cristo would eat nothing in our house.”
“因为举例来说,你当时注意到我们举办舞会的那天晚上,蒙特克里斯托先生在我们家里什么也没吃。”

Mercédès raised herself on her feverish arm.
梅赛德斯用发热的手臂支撑起身子。

“M. de Monte Cristo!” she exclaimed; “and how is he connected with the question you asked me?”
“蒙特克里斯托先生!”她惊呼道,“他和你刚才问我的问题有什么关系?”

“You know, mother, M. de Monte Cristo is almost an Oriental, and it is customary with the Orientals to secure full liberty for revenge by not eating or drinking in the houses of their enemies.”
“母亲,你知道,蒙特克里斯托先生几乎是个东方人,东方人习惯于通过不在敌人家中吃喝来确保完全的复仇自由。”

“Do you say M. de Monte Cristo is our enemy? —
“你说蒙特克里斯托先生是我们的敌人吗?” —

” replied Mercédès, becoming paler than the sheet which covered her. “Who told you so? —
“回答,梅赛德斯道,脸色比覆盖她的床单还苍白。 “是谁告诉你的? —

Why, you are mad, Albert! M. de Monte Cristo has only shown us kindness. —
“哎呀,你疯了,阿尔贝!蒙特克里斯托先生只是对我们友善。 —

M. de Monte Cristo saved your life; you yourself presented him to us. —
“蒙特克里斯托先生救了你的命;你自己把他介绍给我们的。 —

Oh, I entreat you, my son, if you had entertained such an idea, dispel it; —
“哦,我请求你,我的儿子,如果你曾经有这样的想法,就驱散它吧; —

and my counsel to you—nay, my prayer—is to retain his friendship.”
我给你的建议—不,我的请求—是保持他的友谊。”

“Mother,” replied the young man, “you have special reasons for telling me to conciliate that man.”
“母亲,”年轻人回答道,“你有特殊的理由告诉我要亲近那个人。”

“I?” said Mercédès, blushing as rapidly as she had turned pale, and again becoming paler than ever.
“我?”梅赛德斯说,脸色转红得和她转白一样迅速,再次变得比以前更苍白。

“Yes, doubtless; and is it not that he may never do us any harm?”
“是的,无疑;不是为了让他永远不会对我们做任何伤害吗?”

Mercédès shuddered, and, fixing on her son a scrutinizing gaze, “You speak strangely, ” said she to Albert, “and you appear to have some singular prejudices. —
梅赛德斯颤抖了一下,紧盯着她的儿子阿尔贝说道:“你说话怪怪的,看起来有些古怪的偏见。” —

What has the count done? Three days since you were with him in Normandy; —
伯爵到底做了什么?你们在诺曼底时还齐聚一堂三天前。 —

only three days since we looked on him as our best friend.”
只有三天,他还是我们最好的朋友。

An ironical smile passed over Albert’s lips. —
阿尔贝的嘴角露出了讽刺的笑容。 —

Mercédès saw it and with the double instinct of woman and mother guessed all; —
梅赛德斯看到了,她作为女人和母亲的双重本能让她猜到了一切。 —

but as she was prudent and strong-minded she concealed both her sorrows and her fears. —
但是,她既谨慎又坚强,所以她隐藏了自己的悲伤和担忧。 —

Albert was silent; an instant after, the countess resumed:
阿尔贝沉默了。片刻后,伯爵夫人继续说道:

“You came to inquire after my health; I will candidly acknowledge that I am not well. —
“你来探问我的健康;我坦率地承认我不太好。 —

You should install yourself here, and cheer my solitude. —
你应该在这里安顿下来,给我孤独带来欢乐。 —

I do not wish to be left alone.”
我不想一个人被留下。

“Mother,” said the young man, “you know how gladly I would obey your wish, but an urgent and important affair obliges me to leave you for the whole evening.”
“妈妈,”年轻人说道,“你知道我多么乐意遵从你的愿望,但是一件紧急而重要的事情让我必须整晚离开你。”

“Well,” replied Mercédès, sighing, “go, Albert; —
“好吧,”梅赛德斯叹了口气,“去吧,阿尔贝; —

I will not make you a slave to your filial piety.”
我不会让你为了孝道而成为奴隶。

Albert pretended he did not hear, bowed to his mother, and quitted her. —
阿尔贝当做没听见,向他的母亲鞠躬后离开了她。 —

Scarcely had he shut her door, when Mercédès called a confidential servant, and ordered him to follow Albert wherever he should go that evening, and to come and tell her immediately what he observed. —
他刚关上她的门,梅赛德斯就叫来一个亲信仆人,命令他无论阿尔贝去哪里,都要跟随并立即告诉她所见。 —

Then she rang for her lady’s maid, and, weak as she was, she dressed, in order to be ready for whatever might happen. —
然后她按铃叫来女仆,尽管身体虚弱,但为了随时准备面对任何事情,她还是换上了衣服。 —

The footman’s mission was an easy one. Albert went to his room, and dressed with unusual care. —
男仆的任务很简单。阿尔贝去了自己的房间,并且认真打扮起来。 —

At ten minutes to eight Beauchamp arrived; —
8点巴尔香到达; —

he had seen Château-Renaud, who had promised to be in the orchestra before the curtain was raised. —
他已经见到了沙图-雷诺,后者答应在开演前就坐在了乐团席上。 —

Both got into Albert’s coupé; and, as the young man had no reason to conceal where he was going, he called aloud, “To the Opera.” In his impatience he arrived before the beginning of the performance.
两人上了阿尔贝的马车;年轻人毫不掩饰地喊道:“去歌剧院。”他非常着急,以至于在演出开始前就到达了。

Château-Renaud was at his post; apprised by Beauchamp of the circumstances, he required no explanation from Albert. —
Château-Renaud在他的岗位上,被Beauchamp告知情况后,他不需要阿尔伯特做任何解释。 —

The conduct of the son in seeking to avenge his father was so natural that Château-Renaud did not seek to dissuade him, and was content with renewing his assurances of devotion. —
儿子寻求为父亲报仇的行为是如此自然,以至于Château-Renaud并没有试图劝阻他,只是满足于重申他的忠诚。 —

Debray was not yet come, but Albert knew that he seldom lost a scene at the Opera.
Debray还没有到,但阿尔伯特知道他很少错过歌剧的场景。

Albert wandered about the theatre until the curtain was drawn up. —
阿尔伯特在剧院里到处逛,直到帷幕拉开。 —

He hoped to meet with M. de Monte Cristo either in the lobby or on the stairs. —
他希望在大厅或楼梯上遇到蒙蒂克里斯托先生。 —

The bell summoned him to his seat, and he entered the orchestra with Château-Renaud and Beauchamp. —
钟声召唤着他回到座位,他和Château-Renaud以及Beauchamp一起进入了乐队。 —

But his eyes scarcely quitted the box between the columns, which remained obstinately closed during the whole of the first act. —
但是他的目光几乎没有离开两根柱子之间的包厢,整个第一幕都固执地闭着。 —

At last, as Albert was looking at his watch for about the hundredth time, at the beginning of the second act the door opened, and Monte Cristo entered, dressed in black, and, leaning over the front of the box, looked around the pit. —
最后,当阿尔伯特第一百次看表时,第二幕刚开始时,门开了,蒙泰·克里斯托穿着黑色衣服走进来,倚在包厢的前端,环顾四周的坑底。 —

Morrel followed him, and looked also for his sister and brother in-law; —
莫雷尔跟在他后面,也找着他的妹妹和姐夫; —

he soon discovered them in another box, and kissed his hand to them.
他很快在另一个包厢里找到了他们,向他们招手致意。

The count, in his survey of the pit, encountered a pale face and threatening eyes, which evidently sought to gain his attention. —
克里斯托在看坑底的时候,遇到了一个苍白的脸和充满威胁的眼神,显然想引起他的注意。 —

He recognized Albert, but thought it better not to notice him, as he looked so angry and discomposed. —
他认出了阿尔伯特,但认为最好不要注意他,因为他看起来很生气和不安。 —

Without communicating his thoughts to his companion, he sat down, drew out his opera-glass, and looked another way. —
没有把自己的想法告诉伴侣,他坐下来,拿出自己的望远镜,朝另一个方向看去。 —

Although apparently not noticing Albert, he did not, however, lose sight of him, and when the curtain fell at the end of the second act, he saw him leave the orchestra with his two friends. —
虽然表面上没有注意到阿尔伯特,他并没有失去对他的关注,在第二幕结束时,他看到他和他的两个朋友离开了管弦乐区。 —

Then his head was seen passing at the back of the boxes, and the count knew that the approaching storm was intended to fall on him. —
然后他的头看到经过箱子后,伯爵知道即将到来的暴风雨是要降临在他身上。 —

He was at the moment conversing cheerfully with Morrel, but he was well prepared for what might happen.
他此刻正在愉快地与莫雷尔交谈,但他已经对可能发生的事情做好了充分准备。

The door opened, and Monte Cristo, turning round, saw Albert, pale and trembling, followed by Beauchamp and Château-Renaud.
门打开了,蒙特克里斯托转过身,看到艾伯特苍白而颤抖,后面跟着博让和夏多雷诺。

“Well,” cried he, with that benevolent politeness which distinguished his salutation from the common civilities of the world, “my cavalier has attained his object. —
“嗯,”他高兴地喊道,他那种善意的礼节区别于世俗礼节,” 我的骑士已经达到了他的目标。 —

Good-evening, M. de Morcerf.”
晚上好,莫尔赛夫人。

The countenance of this man, who possessed such extraordinary control over his feelings, expressed the most perfect cordiality. —
这个人的表情,他对自己的情感具有如此非凡的控制力,表达了最完美的亲切。 —

Morrel only then recollected the letter he had received from the viscount, in which, without assigning any reason, he begged him to go to the Opera, but he understood that something terrible was brooding.
此时莫雷尔才想起自己收到过的维康特子爵的信,信中并未给出任何理由,只是请求他去看歌剧,但他明白着有可怕的事情在酝酿。

“We are not come here, sir, to exchange hypocritical expressions of politeness, or false professions of friendship,” said Albert, “but to demand an explanation.”
“先生,我们不是为了交换虚伪的礼貌或假意的友好而来,而是为了要求一个解释。”

The young man’s trembling voice was scarcely audible.
年轻人颤抖的声音几乎听不见。

“An explanation at the Opera?” said the count, with that calm tone and penetrating eye which characterize the man who knows his cause is good. —
“在歌剧院要求解释?”伯爵以那种平静的语气和透视的眼神说道,这些特点表明这个人知道自己的事有理。 —

“Little acquainted as I am with the habits of Parisians, I should not have thought this the place for such a demand.”
“虽然我对巴黎人的习惯并不十分了解,我本不觉得这是要求解释的地方。”

“Still, if people will shut themselves up,” said Albert, “and cannot be seen because they are bathing, dining, or asleep, we must avail ourselves of the opportunity whenever they are to be seen.”
“尽管如此,如果人们把自己关在门里,因为他们在洗澡、用餐或睡觉,我们必须抓住一切能见到他们的机会。”

“I am not difficult of access, sir; for yesterday, if my memory does not deceive me, you were at my house.”
“先生,我不难接近;因为昨天,如果我没有记错的话,您就在我家。”

“Yesterday I was at your house, sir,” said the young man; —
“昨天我在您家,先生。”年轻人说道; —

“because then I knew not who you were.”
“因为那时我还不知道您是谁。”

In pronouncing these words Albert had raised his voice so as to be heard by those in the adjoining boxes and in the lobby. —
在发出这些话时,阿尔伯特提高了声音,以便被邻近包厢和大厅里的人们听到。 —

Thus the attention of many was attracted by this altercation.
因此,很多人被这场争吵所吸引。

“Where are you come from, sir? “ said Monte Cristo “You do not appear to be in the possession of your senses.”
“你从哪里来,先生?”蒙特克里斯托问道,“你似乎没有神智。”

“Provided I understand your perfidy, sir, and succeed in making you understand that I will be revenged, I shall be reasonable enough,” said Albert furiously.
“只要我理解你的背信弃义,并使你明白我会报复,我就足够明智了。”阿尔伯特愤怒地说道。

“I do not understand you, sir,” replied Monte Cristo; —
“我不明白你在说什么,先生。”蒙特克里斯托回答道; —

“and if I did, your tone is too high. —
“而且如果我明白了,你的口气太高了。 —

I am at home here, and I alone have a right to raise my voice above another’s. —
我在这里是主人,我一个人有权比别人的声音高。” —

Leave the box, sir!”
“离开那个箱子,先生!”

Monte Cristo pointed towards the door with the most commanding dignity.
蒙特克里斯托端庄地指向门。

“Ah, I shall know how to make you leave your home! —
“啊,我会让你离开你的家!” —

” replied Albert, clasping in his convulsed grasp the glove, which Monte Cristo did not lose sight of.
阿尔贝回答道,紧紧地握住蒙特克里斯托的手套,而蒙特克里斯托始终没有放下。

“Well, well,” said Monte Cristo quietly, “I see you wish to quarrel with me; —
“好吧,好吧,”蒙特克里斯托平静地说道,“我看到你想和我争吵; —

but I would give you one piece of advice, which you will do well to keep in mind. —
但是我要给你一个建议,你最好记住。 —

It is in poor taste to make a display of a challenge. —
在众人面前摆出挑战的姿态是不合适的。 —

Display is not becoming to everyone, M. de Morcerf.”
对每个人来说,炫耀都不合适,莫尔赛夫人。”

At this name a murmur of astonishment passed around the group of spectators of this scene. —
听到这个名字,围观者们发出惊讶的呢喃声。 —

They had talked of no one but Morcerf the whole day. —
他们整天都在谈论的只有莫尔赛夫。 —

Albert understood the allusion in a moment, and was about to throw his glove at the count, when Morrel seized his hand, while Beauchamp and Château-Renaud, fearing the scene would surpass the limits of a challenge, held him back. —
阿尔贝立刻明白了这个暗示,本要把手套朝蒙特克里斯托扔过去,但莫雷尔抓住了他的手臂,而博尚和夏多内恐怕这一幕会超出挑战的限度,拉住了他。 —

But Monte Cristo, without rising, and leaning forward in his chair, merely stretched out his arm and, taking the damp, crushed glove from the clenched hand of the young man:
蒙特克里斯托却没有站起来,只是向前倾身在椅子上,并伸出手臂,从年轻人紧握的手中拿走了湿漉漉、压皱的手套:

“Sir,” said he in a solemn tone, “I consider your glove thrown, and will return it to you wrapped around a bullet. —
“先生,”他以庄重的口吻说道,“我认为您已经将手套丢掉了,我将用一颗子弹把它还给您。” —

Now leave me or I will summon my servants to throw you out at the door.”
“现在请离开,否则我将叫我的仆人把您赶出门。”

Wild, almost unconscious, and with eyes inflamed, Albert stepped back, and Morrel closed the door. —
艾伯特狂乱地,几乎没有意识地后退了一步,莫雷尔关闭了门。 —

Monte Cristo took up his glass again as if nothing had happened; —
蒙特克里斯托再次举起酒杯,仿佛什么都没发生过; —

his face was like marble, and his heart was like bronze. —
他的脸色如同大理石,他的心如同青铜。 —

Morrel whispered, “What have you done to him?”
莫雷尔低声说道,“你对他做了什么?”

“I? Nothing—at least personally,” said Monte Cristo.
“我?至少个人上没有做过什么。”蒙特克里斯托说道。

“But there must be some cause for this strange scene.”
“但这场奇怪的场景一定有原因。”

“The Count of Morcerf’s adventure exasperates the young man.”
“莫赛夫伯爵的冒险让这个年轻人激怒了。”

“Have you anything to do with it?”
“你对此有没有什么关系?”

“It was through Haydée that the Chamber was informed of his father’s treason.”
“正是通过海黛而议院了解到了他父亲的叛国行为。”

“Indeed?” said Morrel. “I had been told, but would not credit it, that the Grecian slave I have seen with you here in this very box was the daughter of Ali Pasha.”
“是吗?”莫雷尔说。“我已经听说过,但是不相信,这位希腊奴隶就是我在这个包厢里见过的人,她是阿里·帕夏的女儿。”

“It is true, nevertheless.”
“然而,这是真的。”

“Then,” said Morrel, “I understand it all, and this scene was premeditated.”
“那么,”莫雷尔说,“我明白了一切,这场景是预谋好的。”

“How so?”
“怎么会呢?”

“Yes. Albert wrote to request me to come to the Opera, doubtless that I might be a witness to the insult he meant to offer you.”
“是的。阿尔伯特写信请求我来观看歌剧,无疑是想让我成为他侮辱你的目击证人。”

“Probably,” said Monte Cristo with his imperturbable tranquillity.
“可能吧,”蒙特·克里斯托以他那镇定无畏的平静说道。

“But what shall you do with him?”
“那你打算怎么对待他?”

“With whom?”
“谁啊?”

“With Albert.”
“阿尔伯特。”

“What shall I do with Albert? As certainly, Maximilian, as I now press your hand, I shall kill him before ten o’clock tomorrow morning. —
“我会怎么对待阿尔伯特呢?正如现在我握着你的手一样,明早十点之前我会杀了他。” —

” Morrel, in his turn, took Monte Cristo’s hand in both of his, and he shuddered to feel how cold and steady it was.
莫雷尔反过来握住蒙特·克里斯托的手,他颤抖着感受到它是多么冷静而坚定。

“Ah, count,” said he, “his father loves him so much!”
“啊,计数,”他说,“他父亲非常爱他!”

“Do not speak to me of that,” said Monte Cristo, with the first movement of anger he had betrayed; —
“不要跟我谈那个,”蒙特克里斯托生气地说道,这是他第一次流露出愤怒的动作。 —

“I will make him suffer.”
“我会让他受苦的。”

Morrel, amazed, let fall Monte Cristo’s hand. “Count, count!” said he.
莫雷尔惊讶地松开了蒙特克里斯托的手。“伯爵,伯爵!”他说道。

“Dear Maximilian,” interrupted the count, “listen how adorably Duprez is singing that line,—
“亲爱的马克西米利安,”伯爵打断了他,“听着,杜普雷兹唱得多么动人啊——

‘O Mathilde! idole de mon âme!’
“奥玛蒂尔德!我心灵的偶像!”

“I was the first to discover Duprez at Naples, and the first to applaud him. Bravo, bravo!”
“我是第一个在那不勒斯发现杜普雷兹的,也是第一个向他鼓掌。好极了,好极了!”

Morrel saw it was useless to say more, and refrained. —
莫雷尔明白再说已经没有意义,便保持沉默。 —

The curtain, which had risen at the close of the scene with Albert, again fell, and a rap was heard at the door.
大幕在与阿尔贝结束的场景后再次落下,门外传来一声敲门声。

“Come in,” said Monte Cristo with a voice that betrayed not the least emotion; —
“进来,”蒙特克里斯托淡淡地说道,声音没有传递出丝毫的情绪。 —

and immediately Beauchamp appeared. “Good-evening, M. Beauchamp,” said Monte Cristo, as if this was the first time he had seen the journalist that evening; “be seated.”
紧接着,博尚登了场。“晚上好,博尚先生,”蒙特克里斯托说道,仿佛这是他第一次在那天晚上见到这位记者,“请坐。”

Beauchamp bowed, and, sitting down, “Sir,” said he, “I just now accompanied M. de Morcerf, as you saw.”
博尚鞠了一躬,坐下后说道:“先生,刚才我一直陪着莫尔塞夫先生,就像您看到的那样。”

“And that means,” replied Monte Cristo, laughing, “that you had, probably, just dined together. —
“那就意味着,”蒙德克里斯托笑着回答,“你们可能刚刚一起用过晚餐。 —

I am happy to see, M. Beauchamp, that you are more sober than he was.”
“我很高兴见到,比他更冷静的是贝翁先生。”

“Sir,” said M. Beauchamp, “Albert was wrong, I acknowledge, to betray so much anger, and I come, on my own account, to apologize for him. —
“先生,”贝翁先生说道,“我承认阿尔贝尔错了,他流露出太多的愤怒,我来是为他道歉。 —

And having done so, entirely on my own account, be it understood, I would add that I believe you too gentlemanly to refuse giving him some explanation concerning your connection with Yanina. —
“在此之后,完全是我个人的事情,我要补充说,我相信您是个非常绅士的人,不会拒绝给他一些关于您与雅尼娜的关系的解释。 —

Then I will add two words about the young Greek girl.”
然后我会再多说两句关于那个年轻的希腊女孩。”

Monte Cristo motioned him to be silent. “Come,” said he, laughing, “there are all my hopes about to be destroyed.”
蒙德克里斯托示意他保持沉默。“来吧,”他笑着说,“我的所有希望都要被毁了。”

“How so?” asked Beauchamp.
“怎么了?”贝翁先生问道。

“Doubtless you wish to make me appear a very eccentric character. —
“毫无疑问,你希望让我看起来非常古怪。 —

I am, in your opinion, a Lara, a Manfred, a Lord Ruthven; —
“在你的眼中,我是个拉拉,曼弗雷德,或者罗思文勋爵; —

then, just as I am arriving at the climax, you defeat your own end, and seek to make an ordinary man of me. —
然后,就在我达到高潮的时候,你却自取败露,试图让我变成一个普通人。” —

You bring me down to your own level, and demand explanations! —
你把我拉到你的水平上,并要求解释! —

Indeed, M. Beauchamp, it is quite laughable.”
“确实,Beauchamp先生,这非常可笑。”

“Yet,” replied Beauchamp haughtily, “there are occasions when probity commands——”
“然而,”Beauchamp傲慢地回答道,“有时候正直命令——”

“M. Beauchamp,” interposed this strange man, “the Count of Monte Cristo bows to none but the Count of Monte Cristo himself. —
“Beauchamp先生,”这个奇怪的人插话道,“只有Monte Cristo伯爵向Monte Cristo伯爵低头。 —

Say no more, I entreat you. I do what I please, M. Beauchamp, and it is always well done.”
“请不要再说了,我恳求你。我做我自己想做的事情,Beauchamp先生,而且总是办得很好。”

“Sir,” replied the young man, “honest men are not to be paid with such coin. —
“先生,”年轻人回答道,“诚实的人不会接受这种回报。” —

I require honorable guaranties.”
“我需要光荣的保证。”

“I am, sir, a living guaranty,” replied Monte Cristo, motionless, but with a threatening look; —
“我就是,先生,一个活生生的保证,”Monte Cristo不动声色地回答道,但带着一种威胁的表情。 —

“we have both blood in our veins which we wish to shed—that is our mutual guaranty. —
“我们都有血液在身体里,我们希望流淌出来,这是我们的共同保证。” —

Tell the viscount so, and that tomorrow, before ten o’clock, I shall see what color his is.”
告诉子爵,明天十点钟之前,我会看看他的血是什么颜色。”

“Then I have only to make arrangements for the duel,” said Beauchamp.
“那么我只需安排一下决斗,”Beauchamp说道。

“It is quite immaterial to me,” said Monte Cristo, “and it was very unnecessary to disturb me at the Opera for such a trifle. —
“对我来说这实在无关紧要,你打电话把我从歌剧院叫出来这种小事是很无谓的。”蒙特克里斯托回答道。 —

In France people fight with the sword or pistol, in the colonies with the carbine, in Arabia with the dagger. —
“在法国,人们用剑或者手枪搏斗;在殖民地,人们用卡宾枪;在阿拉伯,人们用匕首。” —

Tell your client that, although I am the insulted party, in order to carry out my eccentricity, I leave him the choice of arms, and will accept without discussion, without dispute, anything, even combat by drawing lots, which is always stupid, but with me different from other people, as I am sure to gain.”
“告诉你的客户,虽然是我受到了侮辱,但为了满足我的怪癖,我会留给他选择武器的权利。无论是抽签决斗,尽管很愚蠢,但跟其他人不同,我会接受,因为我相信自己一定会赢。”

“Sure to gain!” repeated Beauchamp, looking with amazement at the count.
“一定会赢!”蒙德克里斯托回答道,贝肖朗姆好奇地看着他。

“Certainly,” said Monte Cristo, slightly shrugging his shoulders; —
“当然,”蒙特克里斯托微微耸耸肩膀说道; —

“otherwise I would not fight with M. de Morcerf. I shall kill him—I cannot help it. —
“否则我就不会与莫塞夫先生决斗了。我会杀了他,我无能为力。” —

Only by a single line this evening at my house let me know the arms and the hour; —
“只需今晚给我写封短信,告诉我使用的武器和时间; —

I do not like to be kept waiting.”
我不喜欢等待。”

“Pistols, then, at eight o’clock, in the Bois de Vincennes,” said Beauchamp, quite disconcerted, not knowing if he was dealing with an arrogant braggadocio or a supernatural being.
“那么,膛线在八点钟,就在维桑尼树林里。”贝蔡昂说道,感到有些困惑,不知道自己是在面对一个傲慢自大的人还是一个超自然的存在。

“Very well, sir,” said Monte Cristo. “Now all that is settled, do let me see the performance, and tell your friend Albert not to come any more this evening; —
“非常好,先生。”蒙特克里斯托说:“那么一切都决定好了,请让我看一场表演,告诉你的朋友阿尔贝不要再来了,他会因他选的不当的野蛮行为而伤到自己;让他回家睡觉。” —

he will hurt himself with all his ill-chosen barbarisms: —
他会因他选的不当的野蛮行为而伤到自己。 —

let him go home and go to sleep.”
让他回家睡觉吧。”

Beauchamp left the box, perfectly amazed.
贝蔡昂离开包厢,非常惊讶。

“Now,” said Monte Cristo, turning towards Morrel, “I may depend upon you, may I not?”
“现在,”蒙特克里斯托转向莫雷尔说:“我能信任你吗?”

“Certainly,” said Morrel, “I am at your service, count; still——”
“当然可以,”莫雷尔说:“我听候您的吩咐,计数;不过——”

“What?”
“怎么了?”

“It is desirable I should know the real cause.”
“我很想知道真正的原因。”

“That is to say, you would rather not?”
“也就是说,你宁愿不知道?”

“No.”
“不。”

“The young man himself is acting blindfolded, and knows not the true cause, which is known only to God and to me; —
“这个年轻人自己是盲目行动的,不知道真正的原因,只有上帝和我知道; —

but I give you my word, Morrel, that God, who does know it, will be on our side.”
但我向你保证,莫雷尔,上帝知道,他会站在我们这一边。”

“Enough,” said Morrel; “who is your second witness?”
“够了,”莫雷尔说。“你的第二个证人是谁?”

“I know no one in Paris, Morrel, on whom I could confer that honor besides you and your brother Emmanuel. —
“除了你和你的兄弟埃马纽尔,我在巴黎认识的人没有一个可以给予此荣誉的。” —

Do you think Emmanuel would oblige me?”
“你觉得埃马纽尔会帮我吗?”

“I will answer for him, count.”
“我替他回答。”

“Well? that is all I require. Tomorrow morning, at seven o’clock, you will be with me, will you not?”
“好,这正是我要求的。明天早上七点,你们会和我在一起,对吧?”

“We will.”
“会的。”

“Hush, the curtain is rising. Listen! I never lose a note of this opera if I can avoid it; —
“嘘,帷幕升起了。听好!我尽量不错过这部歌剧的任何一句音符;《威廉·泰尔》的音乐太甜美了。” —

the music of William Tell is so sweet.”
“Yes, Morrel, it is extremely beautiful,” replied Maximilian.