After Mercédès had left Monte Cristo, he fell into profound gloom. —
梅赛德斯离开蒙特·克里斯托后,他陷入了深深的忧郁。 —

Around him and within him the flight of thought seemed to have stopped; —
围绕着他和他内心的思绪似乎停止了; —

his energetic mind slumbered, as the body does after extreme fatigue.
他有着精力充沛的思维,像身体在极度疲劳后的睡眠一样。

“What?” said he to himself, while the lamp and the wax lights were nearly burnt out, and the servants were waiting impatiently in the anteroom; —
“什么?” 他自言自语,当灯和蜡烛几乎烧完,仆人们在前厅焦急地等待着; —

“what? this edifice which I have been so long preparing, which I have reared with so much care and toil, is to be crushed by a single touch, a word, a breath! —
“什么? 我已经为此建造了这么久, 付出了如此多的关心和辛劳, 却只需要一个触摸, 一个字, 一口气就能摧毁这座建筑! —

Yes, this self, of whom I thought so much, of whom I was so proud, who had appeared so worthless in the dungeons of the Château d’If, and whom I had succeeded in making so great, will be but a lump of clay tomorrow. —
是的, 我曾经如此重视的这个自我, 我为之自豪的自我, 在射电塔狱中看来是如此的渺小, 而我却成功地使它变得如此伟大, 明天将只剩下一团泥土。 —

Alas, it is not the death of the body I regret; —
唉, 我悔恨的不是身体的死亡; —

for is not the destruction of the vital principle, the repose to which everything is tending, to which every unhappy being aspires,—is not this the repose of matter after which I so long sighed, and which I was seeking to attain by the painful process of starvation when Faria appeared in my dungeon? —
对于我来说,死亡不是生命精华的毁灭,而是一切趋势,一切不幸生命所向往的宁静—这不正是我在牢狱中渴望已久并试图通过痛苦的饥饿来实现的物质宁静吗?而法瑞亚的出现不正是阻止了我这一计划吗? —

What is death for me? One step farther into rest,—two, perhaps, into silence. —
对于我来说,死亡是踏入更深的休息,也许是进入无声的两个步骤。 —

No, it is not existence, then, that I regret, but the ruin of projects so slowly carried out, so laboriously framed. —
不,我所悔恨的不是存在,而是那慢慢实现、费力构建的计划的失败。 —

Providence is now opposed to them, when I most thought it would be propitious. —
当我以为上天会支持它们时,上天却与之相悖。 —

It is not God’s will that they should be accomplished. —
上帝不愿意它们得以实现。 —

This burden, almost as heavy as a world, which I had raised, and I had thought to bear to the end, was too great for my strength, and I was compelled to lay it down in the middle of my career. —
这个我曾努力扛到生命尽头的沉重重担实在太过沉重,以至于我不得不在事业的中途放弃。 —

Oh, shall I then, again become a fatalist, whom fourteen years of despair and ten of hope had rendered a believer in Providence?
噢,难道我又要成为一个宿命论者吗?四十年的绝望和十年的希望已经使我相信上天的安排了。

“And all this—all this, because my heart, which I thought dead, was only sleeping; —
“而这一切,全部都因为我那本以为已经死去的心,其实只是在沉睡; —

because it has awakened and has begun to beat again, because I have yielded to the pain of the emotion excited in my breast by a woman’s voice.
因为它苏醒了,重新开始跳动,因为我屈服于那个女人的声音所引起的情感之痛。

“Yet,” continued the count, becoming each moment more absorbed in the anticipation of the dreadful sacrifice for the morrow, which Mercédès had accepted, “yet, it is impossible that so noble-minded a woman should thus through selfishness consent to my death when I am in the prime of life and strength; —
“然而,”伯爵继续沉浸在明天可怕的牺牲的期待中,梅尔塞德已经接受了这种牺牲,” 然而,这位高尚的女人不可能因自私而同意我这富有生命力和力量的时候死去; —

it is impossible that she can carry to such a point maternal love, or rather delirium. —
她不可能将母爱,或者说是狂热,推向如此地步。 —

There are virtues which become crimes by exaggeration. —
有些美德因夸大而成为罪行。 —

No, she must have conceived some pathetic scene; —
不,她一定会构想一场悲情的场景; —

she will come and throw herself between us; —
她会跑来挡在我们之间; —

and what would be sublime here will there appear ridiculous.”
而在那里,原本崇高的事情将会变得可笑。”

The blush of pride mounted to the count’s forehead as this thought passed through his mind.
当这个念头在伯爵的脑海中闪过时,骄傲之红登上了他的额头。

“Ridiculous?” repeated he; “and the ridicule will fall on me. I ridiculous? —
“荒谬?”他重复道,“这个荒谬会让我损失颜面。我荒谬吗? —

No, I would rather die.”
不,我宁愿死。”

By thus exaggerating to his own mind the anticipated ill-fortune of the next day, to which he had condemned himself by promising Mercédès to spare her son, the count at last exclaimed:
所以他对接下来这个他自己承诺给梅赛德斯保住她儿子的日子的不幸充满了夸大的想象,最后,伯爵大声说道:

“Folly, folly, folly!—to carry generosity so far as to put myself up as a mark for that young man to aim at. —
“愚蠢,愚蠢,愚蠢!居然要把自己当作这个年轻人拿来瞄准的目标。 —

He will never believe that my death was suicide; —
他永远不会相信我之死是自杀。 —

and yet it is important for the honor of my memory,—and this surely is not vanity, but a justifiable pride,—it is important the world should know that I have consented, by my free will, to stop my arm, already raised to strike, and that with the arm which has been so powerful against others I have struck myself. —
但是为了我的声誉,为了这个理所应当的骄傲,这绝对不是虚荣心,世人应该知道,我已经自愿停下了已经举起要击打的手臂,用已经对其他人如此强大的手臂打击了自己。 —

It must be; it shall be.”
必须如此,定将如此。”

Seizing a pen, he drew a paper from a secret drawer in his desk, and wrote at the bottom of the document (which was no other than his will, made since his arrival in Paris) a sort of codicil, clearly explaining the nature of his death.
他夺过一支笔,从桌子的一个秘密抽屉里拿出一张纸,并在该文件的底部(那正是他抵达巴黎后签署的遗嘱)写下了一种遗嘱附录,清楚地解释了他死亡的本质。

“I do this, Oh, my God,” said he, with his eyes raised to heaven, “as much for thy honor as for mine. —
“上帝啊,我这样做,是为了你的荣耀,也是为了我的荣耀。”他抬起眼睛望向天空说道。 —

I have during ten years considered myself the agent of thy vengeance, and other wretches, like Morcerf, Danglars, Villefort, even Morcerf himself, must not imagine that chance has freed them from their enemy. —
“在过去的十年里,我一直认为自己是你复仇的工具,而像莫尔塞夫、当格拉尔、维尔福、甚至莫尔塞夫本人这样的可怜虫不要以为机缘让他们摆脱了敌人。 —

Let them know, on the contrary, that their punishment, which had been decreed by Providence, is only delayed by my present determination, and although they escape it in this world, it awaits them in another, and that they are only exchanging time for eternity.”
“相反,让他们知道,他们被上天命定的惩罚只是被我目前的决定所推迟,虽然他们在这个世界上逃脱了,但惩罚在另一个世界等待着他们,他们只是将时间换成了永恒。”

While he was thus agitated by gloomy uncertainties,—wretched waking dreams of grief, —the first rays of morning pierced his windows, and shone upon the pale blue paper on which he had just inscribed his justification of Providence.
当他被阴郁的不确定感所困扰时,令人悲伤的清醒梦境愈发加重,清晨的第一缕阳光透过窗户,照在他刚刚写下的对上帝公正性的辩护词之上。

It was just five o’clock in the morning when a slight noise like a stifled sigh reached his ear. —
清晨五点钟时,他听到了一个微弱的声音,像是一个压抑的叹息。 —

He turned his head, looked around him, and saw no one; —
他转过头,四处看了看,却没有看到任何人。 —

but the sound was repeated distinctly enough to convince him of its reality.
但是这个声音清晰地重复了一次,足以使他相信它的真实性。

He arose, and quietly opening the door of the drawing-room, saw Haydée, who had fallen on a chair, with her arms hanging down and her beautiful head thrown back. —
他起身,悄悄地打开客厅的门,看到海黛躺在椅子上,双臂垂下,美丽的头向后仰。 —

She had been standing at the door, to prevent his going out without seeing her, until sleep, which the young cannot resist, had overpowered her frame, wearied as she was with watching. —
她一直站在门口,以防他在不见她的情况下离开,直到年轻人难以抗拒的睡意使她精疲力尽,疲倦得不再能够坚持。 —

The noise of the door did not awaken her, and Monte Cristo gazed at her with affectionate regret.
门的声音没有将她唤醒,蒙特克里斯托以深深的歉意凝视着她。

“She remembered that she had a son,” said he; “and I forgot I had a daughter. —
“他说:“她记得她有一个儿子;而我却忘了我有一个女儿。 —

” Then, shaking his head sorrowfully, “Poor Haydée,” said he; —
他悲伤地摇着头说:“可怜的海黛,”他说; —

“she wished to see me, to speak to me; she has feared or guessed something. —
“她想见我,想和我说话;她害怕了或者猜到了什么。 —

Oh, I cannot go without taking leave of her; —
哦,我不能不跟她告别而走; —

I cannot die without confiding her to someone.”
我不能死而不将她托付给别人。”

He quietly regained his seat, and wrote under the other lines:
他安静地回到座位上,在其他行下面写道:

“I bequeath to Maximilian Morrel, captain of Spahis,—and son of my former patron, Pierre Morrel, shipowner at Marseilles,—the sum of twenty millions, a part of which may be offered to his sister Julie and brother-in-law Emmanuel, if he does not fear this increase of fortune may mar their happiness. —
“我将一部分二千万的财产留给阿尔及利亚的斯巴希斯军队上尉马克西米利安·莫雷尔,他是我之前的主顾皮埃尔·莫雷尔,马赛的造船商的儿子。如果他不担心这笔财富增加会破坏他们的幸福,可以给他的姐姐朱莉和姐夫爱曼纽尔一部分。 —

These twenty millions are concealed in my grotto at Monte Cristo, of which Bertuccio knows the secret. —
这二千万的财产藏在我在蒙特克里斯托的石洞里,贝尔图乔知道这个秘密。” —

If his heart is free, and he will marry Haydée, the daughter of Ali Pasha of Yanina, whom I have brought up with the love of a father, and who has shown the love and tenderness of a daughter for me, he will thus accomplish my last wish. —
如果他的心是自由的,并且他将娶哈伊迪,亚尼那的阿里帕夏的女儿,我把她像父亲一样养大,她对我却像女儿一样充满了爱与温柔,这样他就会实现我的最后一个愿望。 —

This will has already constituted Haydée heiress of the rest of my fortune, consisting of lands, funds in England, Austria, and Holland, furniture in my different palaces and houses, and which without the twenty millions and the legacies to my servants, may still amount to sixty millions.”
这个遗嘱已经把哈伊迪封为我余下财产的继承人,包括在英国、奥地利和荷兰的土地、资金,以及我在不同宫殿和房屋中的家具,除去两千万和赠给仆人的遗赠,这些财产总价值也可能达到六千万。

He was finishing the last line when a cry behind him made him start, and the pen fell from his hand.
刚写完最后一行,他听到身后传来一声尖叫,他吓了一跳,笔从手中掉落。

“Haydée,” said he, “did you read it?”
“哈伊迪,”他说,“你读过它了吗?”

“Oh, my lord,” said she, “why are you writing thus at such an hour? —
“哦,我的主人,”她说,“你为什么在这个时候这样写呢? —

Why are you bequeathing all your fortune to me? —
“你为什么要把全部财产都留给我? —

Are you going to leave me?”
“你是要离开我吗?”

“I am going on a journey, dear child,” said Monte Cristo, with an expression of infinite tenderness and melancholy; —
“亲爱的孩子,我要出门旅行了,”蒙特克里斯托用无尽的柔情和忧郁表情说道。 —

“and if any misfortune should happen to me——”
“如果我发生了什么不幸的话——”

The count stopped.
伯爵停住了。

“Well?” asked the young girl, with an authoritative tone the count had never observed before, and which startled him.
“嗯?”年轻女孩以前从未见过的一种命令式口吻问道,这使伯爵感到惊讶。

“Well, if any misfortune happen to me,” replied Monte Cristo, “I wish my daughter to be happy. —
蒙特克里斯托回答道:“如果我发生了什么不幸,我希望我的女儿能够幸福。” —

” Haydée smiled sorrowfully, and shook her head.
海黛悲伤地微笑了一下,摇了摇头。

“Do you think of dying, my lord?” said she.
“您是否在考虑死亡,我的主人?”她问道。

“The wise man, my child, has said, ‘It is good to think of death.’”
她的孩子,智者曾说过:“想想死亡是好的。”

“Well, if you die,” said she, “bequeath your fortune to others, for if you die I shall require nothing; —
她说:“如果您死了,那么将您的财产留给他人吧,因为如果您死了,我将不需要任何东西;” —

” and, taking the paper, she tore it in four pieces, and threw it into the middle of the room. —
说着,她接过那张纸,撕成了四块,扔进了房间中央。 —

Then, the effort having exhausted her strength, she fell, not asleep this time, but fainting on the floor.
然后,努力使她筋疲力尽,她倒在了地板上,这次不是睡着了,而是昏倒了。

The count leaned over her and raised her in his arms; —
伯爵俯身将她抱起,搂在怀里; —

and seeing that sweet pale face, those lovely eyes closed, that beautiful form motionless and to all appearance lifeless, the idea occurred to him for the first time, that perhaps she loved him otherwise than as a daughter loves a father.
看着那张甜美苍白的脸庞,那双可爱的眼睛闭着,那美丽的身姿一动不动,他第一次产生了这样一个想法,也许她爱他不仅仅是像女儿爱父亲那样。

“Alas,” murmured he, with intense suffering, “I might, then, have been happy yet.”
“唉,”他低声叹息道,伤痛之情溢于言表,”那么,我也许本可以幸福的。”

Then he carried Haydée to her room, resigned her to the care of her attendants, and returning to his study, which he shut quickly this time, he again copied the destroyed will. —
然后他抱起海迪,将她交给侍应生照料,回到书房,这次他迅速地关上门,又一次抄写了被毁坏的遗嘱。 —

As he was finishing, the sound of a cabriolet entering the yard was heard. —
就在他即将完成时,听到一辆马车驶入院子。 —

Monte Cristo approached the window, and saw Maximilian and Emmanuel alight. —
蒙德克里斯托走近窗户,看到了马克西米连和埃马纽尔下车。 —

“Good,” said he; “it was time,”—and he sealed his will with three seals.
“很好,”他说道,”正好是时候了。”于是他用三个印章盖了上去。

A moment afterwards he heard a noise in the drawing-room, and went to open the door himself. —
片刻之后,他听到客厅里传来了一声响动,走过去亲自开门。 —

Morrel was there; he had come twenty minutes before the time appointed.
莫雷尔在那里,他提前二十分钟到了。

“I am perhaps come too soon, count,” said he, “but I frankly acknowledge that I have not closed my eyes all night, nor has anyone in my house. —
“伯爵,或许我来得太早了”,他说,“但我坦率地承认,我整晚都没有闭过眼,我的家里也没有人能睡得着。 —

I need to see you strong in your courageous assurance, to recover myself.”
我需要看到你以坚定和勇敢的态度,才能让我恢复过来。”

Monte Cristo could not resist this proof of affection; —
蒙蒂克里斯托无法抵挡这种爱的证明; —

he not only extended his hand to the young man, but flew to him with open arms.
他不仅伸出手向年轻人表示欢迎,还张开双臂飞快地走向他。

“Morrel,” said he, “it is a happy day for me, to feel that I am beloved by such a man as you. —
“莫雷尔,”他说,“有你这样一个人爱我,对我来说是个幸福的日子。 —

Good-morning, Emmanuel; you will come with me then, Maximilian?”
早上好,埃曼纽尔;那么,你会和我一起来吗,马克西米利安?”

“Did you doubt it?” said the young captain.
“你怀疑过吗?”年轻的船长说。

“But if I were wrong——”
“但是如果我错了——”

“I watched you during the whole scene of that challenge yesterday; —
“我在昨天那个挑战的场面上一直在看着你; —

I have been thinking of your firmness all night, and I said to myself that justice must be on your side, or man’s countenance is no longer to be relied on.”
整晚我都在思考着你的坚定,我对自己说必须要支持你的正义,否则人们的面容就不能再被依靠。”

“But, Morrel, Albert is your friend?”
“但是,莫雷尔,阿尔贝是你的朋友。”

“Simply an acquaintance, sir.”
“只是一个熟人,先生。”

“You met on the same day you first saw me?”
“你是在与我第一次见面的那天见到他的吗?”

“Yes, that is true; but I should not have recollected it if you had not reminded me.”
“是的,那是真的;但是如果你没有提醒我,我就不会想起来。”

“Thank you, Morrel.” Then ringing the bell once, “Look.” said he to Ali, who came immediately, “take that to my solicitor. —
“谢谢,莫雷尔。”然后按铃一下,“看。”他对立刻过来的阿里说,“把这个交给我的律师。 —

It is my will, Morrel. When I am dead, you will go and examine it.”
这是我的遗嘱,莫雷尔。当我死后,你将去审查它。”

“What?” said Morrel, “you dead?”
“什么?”莫雷尔说,“你死了?”

“Yes; must I not be prepared for everything, dear friend? —
“是的;我不是应该为一切做好准备吗,亲爱的朋友? —

But what did you do yesterday after you left me?”
但是你离开我后昨天你做了什么?”

“I went to Tortoni’s, where, as I expected, I found Beauchamp and Château-Renaud. —
“我去了托尔托尼咖啡厅,就像我预料的那样,我找到了博申和舍托-勒诺。 —

I own I was seeking them.”
我承认我在找他们。”

“Why, when all was arranged?”
“为什么,在一切都安排好了的时候?”

“Listen, count; the affair is serious and unavoidable.”
“听着,伯爵;此事严重且不可避免。”

“Did you doubt it!”
“难道你怀疑吗!”

“No; the offence was public, and everyone is already talking of it.”
“没有;过错公开,每个人都已经谈论起来。”

“Well?”
“嗯?”

“Well, I hoped to get an exchange of arms,—to substitute the sword for the pistol; —
“嗯,我希望能够换用武器——用剑替换手枪; —

the pistol is blind.”
“手枪是盲目的。”

“Have you succeeded?” asked Monte Cristo quickly, with an imperceptible gleam of hope.
“你成功了吗?”蒙特克里斯托迅速问道,带着难以察觉的希望之光。

“No; for your skill with the sword is so well known.”
“没有,因为你的剑术技艺众所周知。”

“Ah?—who has betrayed me?”
“啊?——是谁背叛了我?”

“The skilful swordsman whom you have conquered.”
“那位你战胜的高手。”

“And you failed?”
“你失败了吗?”

“They positively refused.”
“他们坚决拒绝了。”

“Morrel,” said the count, “have you ever seen me fire a pistol?”
“莫雷尔,”伯爵说道,“你有见过我开枪吗?”

“Never.”
“从未。”

“Well, we have time; look.” Monte Cristo took the pistols he held in his hand when Mercédès entered, and fixing an ace of clubs against the iron plate, with four shots he successively shot off the four sides of the club. —
“好吧,我们有时间;看吧。”蒙特克里斯托拿起手中的手枪,在铁板上放置了一张黑桃A,连续四次击中了该黑桃的四条边。 —

At each shot Morrel turned pale. He examined the bullets with which Monte Cristo performed this dexterous feat, and saw that they were no larger than buckshot.
在每一枪的时候,莫雷尔脸色变白。他检查了蒙特克里斯托用来完成这一高超技巧的子弹,发现它们并不比鹿弹大多少。

“It is astonishing,” said he. “Look, Emmanuel. —
“真是令人惊叹。”他说道。“看,埃曼纽尔。” —

” Then turning towards Monte Cristo, “Count,” said he, “in the name of all that is dear to you, I entreat you not to kill Albert! —
然后转向蒙特克里斯托,“伯爵,”他说道,“我以你所珍爱的一切为名,请求你不要杀死阿尔贝! —

—the unhappy youth has a mother.”
“—这个不幸的年轻人还有一个母亲。”

“You are right,” said Monte Cristo; “and I have none. —
“你是对的,”蒙蒂克里斯托说,“我没有。” —

” These words were uttered in a tone which made Morrel shudder.
“这些话以一种让莫雷尔发抖的口气说出来。”

“You are the offended party, count.”
“你是被冒犯的一方,伯爵。”

“Doubtless; what does that imply?”
“无疑;这意味着什么?”

“That you will fire first.”
“这意味着你会先开枪。”

“I fire first?”
“我先开枪?”

“Oh, I obtained, or rather claimed that; we had conceded enough for them to yield us that.”
“哦,我获得了,或者说争取到了那个;我们已经让步足够多,足以让他们让步了。”

“And at what distance?”
“距离多远?”

“Twenty paces.” A smile of terrible import passed over the count’s lips.
“二十步。”一抹可怕的笑意从伯爵的嘴角掠过。

“Morrel,” said he, “do not forget what you have just seen.”
“莫雷尔,”他说,“不要忘记你刚刚所见到的。”

“The only chance for Albert’s safety, then, will arise from your emotion.”
“那么,阿尔伯特的安全唯一的机会就在于你的感情。”

“I suffer from emotion?” said Monte Cristo.
“我受到情感的折磨?”蒙蒂克里斯托说。

“Or from your generosity, my friend; to so good a marksman as you are, I may say what would appear absurd to another.”
“或者是你的慷慨,我的朋友;对于你来说,一个如此出色的射手,我可以说一些对他人来说似乎荒谬的事情。”

“What is that?”
“什么事?”

“Break his arm—wound him—but do not kill him.”
“打断他的手臂,伤害他,但不要杀死他。”

“I will tell you, Morrel,” said the count, “that I do not need entreating to spare the life of M. de Morcerf; —
“莫雷尔,我告诉你,”伯爵说道,“我不需要你来请求饶恕蒙塞夫先生的生命; —

he shall be so well spared, that he will return quietly with his two friends, while I——”
他将会被轻易放过,他将会和他的两个朋友安静地返回,而我——”

“And you?”
“那你呢?”

“That will be another thing; I shall be brought home.”
“那就是另一回事了;我将会被带回家。”

“No, no,” cried Maximilian, quite unable to restrain his feelings.
“不,不!”马克西米利安情不自禁地喊道。

“As I told you, my dear Morrel, M. de Morcerf will kill me.”
“如我所说,亲爱的莫雷尔,蒙塞夫先生将会杀了我。”

Morrel looked at him in utter amazement. “But what has happened, then, since last evening, count?”
莫雷尔完全惊讶地看着他。“但是,自从昨晚起发生了什么事,伯爵?”

“The same thing that happened to Brutus the night before the battle of Philippi; —
“布鲁图斯在菲利普战役前夕发生的事情也发生在我身上; —

I have seen a ghost.”
我见到了一个鬼魂。”

“And that ghost——”
“那个鬼魂——”

“Told me, Morrel, that I had lived long enough.”
“告诉我,莫雷尔,我已经活够了。”

Maximilian and Emmanuel looked at each other. Monte Cristo drew out his watch. —
马克西米利安和埃马纽尔互望一眼。蒙提克里斯托掏出手表。 —

“Let us go,” said he; “it is five minutes past seven, and the appointment was for eight o’clock.”
“我们走吧,”他说,“已经过了七点五分钟了,预约是八点钟。”

A carriage was in readiness at the door. Monte Cristo stepped into it with his two friends. —
门口已经备好了一辆马车。蒙提克里斯托和他的两个朋友上了车。 —

He had stopped a moment in the passage to listen at a door, and Maximilian and Emmanuel, who had considerately passed forward a few steps, thought they heard him answer by a sigh to a sob from within. —
他在走廊停顿了一会,听着门后面的声音。马克西米利安和埃马纽尔为了让他过去几步,斯思谢恩地绕过了他们,他们认为他在对内部的哭声回答了一声叹息。 —

As the clock struck eight they drove up to the place of meeting.
当钟声敲到八点时,他们驶到了约会地点。

“We are first,” said Morrel, looking out of the window.
“我们是第一个到的,”莫雷尔朝窗外望着说。

“Excuse me, sir,” said Baptistin, who had followed his master with indescribable terror, “but I think I see a carriage down there under the trees.”
“对不起,先生,”巴普蒂斯坦说,他带着难以言喻的恐惧跟着他的主人走,“但我认为我在树下看到一辆马车。”

Monte Cristo sprang lightly from the carriage, and offered his hand to assist Emmanuel and Maximilian. —
蒙特·克里斯托轻盈地从车厢里跳下来,伸出手来帮助埃曼纽和马克西米利安。 —

The latter retained the count’s hand between his.
埃曼纽紧握着伯爵的手。

“I like,” said he, “to feel a hand like this, when its owner relies on the goodness of his cause.”
他说:“我喜欢感受到这样一只手,当它的主人仰仗着他的正义事业时。”

“It seems to me,” said Emmanuel, “that I see two young men down there, who are evidently, waiting.”
“在下面,我好像看到了两个年轻人,显然是在等待。”埃曼纽说。

Monte Cristo drew Morrel a step or two behind his brother-in-law.
蒙特·克里斯托把莫雷尔拉到一边几步。

“Maximilian,” said he, “are your affections disengaged? —
他说:“马克西米利安,你的感情是否空闲?” —

” Morrel looked at Monte Cristo with astonishment. —
莫雷尔惊讶地看着蒙特·克里斯托。 —

“I do not seek your confidence, my dear friend. —
“我不寻求你的信任,亲爱的朋友。 —

I only ask you a simple question; answer it; —
我只问你一个简单的问题;回答它; —

—that is all I require.”
这就是我所要求的。”

“I love a young girl, count.”
“我爱一个年轻的女孩,伯爵。”

“Do you love her much?”
“你爱她吗?”

“More than my life.”
“比我的生命还要多。”

“Another hope defeated!” said the count. Then, with a sigh, “Poor Haydée!” murmured he.
“又一个希望破灭了!”伯爵说道。然后叹了口气,“可怜的海黛!”他嘀咕道。

“To tell the truth, count, if I knew less of you, I should think that you were less brave than you are.”
“说实话,伯爵,如果我对你了解得少一些,我会觉得你比你现在勇敢。”

“Because I sigh when thinking of someone I am leaving? —
“因为我在想要离开的人时叹气吗? —

Come, Morrel, it is not like a soldier to be so bad a judge of courage. Do I regret life? —
来吧,莫雷尔,一个士兵不应该这样差评勇敢。我后悔生命吗? —

What is it to me, who have passed twenty years between life and death? —
对我来说,二十年处于生死之间又有什么关系? —

Moreover, do not alarm yourself, Morrel; this weakness, if it is such, is betrayed to you alone. —
此外,别担心,莫雷尔;如果这是弱点,那只向你表露。 —

I know the world is a drawing-room, from which we must retire politely and honestly; —
我知道世界是一个客厅,我们必须礼貌而诚实地离开; —

that is, with a bow, and our debts of honor paid.”
也就是说,鞠躬并支付我们的名誉债务。”

“That is to the purpose. Have you brought your arms?”
“言归正传。你带了武器吗?”

“I?—what for? I hope these gentlemen have theirs.”
“我?—为什么?我希望这些绅士们有他们的。”

“I will inquire,” said Morrel.
“我会打听的,”莫雷尔说。

“Do; but make no treaty—you understand me?”
“打听一下就好,不要达成协议,明白吗?”

“You need not fear.” Morrel advanced towards Beauchamp and Château-Renaud, who, seeing his intention, came to meet him. —
“你不用担心。”莫雷尔走向博尚和沙托·勒诺,他们看到他的意图,也迎了上来。 —

The three young men bowed to each other courteously, if not affably.
这三个年轻人彬彬有礼地互相鞠躬,尽管不算亲和。

“Excuse me, gentlemen,” said Morrel, “but I do not see M. de Morcerf.”
“对不起,先生们,”莫雷尔说,“但我没有见到莫塞夫先生。”

“He sent us word this morning,” replied Château-Renaud, “that he would meet us on the ground.”
“他今天早上给我们回信,”沙托·勒诺回答说,“说他会在场地上见我们。”

“Ah,” said Morrel. Beauchamp pulled out his watch.
“啊,”莫雷尔说。博尚掏出手表。

“It is only five minutes past eight,” said he to Morrel; “there is not much time lost yet.”
“才过了八点零五分,”他告诉莫雷尔,“还不算太晚。”

“Oh, I made no allusion of that kind,” replied Morrel.
“哦,我没有提及那方面的事情,”莫雷尔回答说。

“There is a carriage coming,” said Château-Renaud. —
“有一辆马车过来了,”沙托·勒诺说。 —

It advanced rapidly along one of the avenues leading towards the open space where they were assembled.
它迅速沿着通往他们聚集的空地的一条林荫道前进。

“You are doubtless provided with pistols, gentlemen? —
“先生们,你们无疑带了手枪吧? —

M. de Monte Cristo yields his right of using his.”
蒙地·克里斯托先生放弃使用他的权利。”

“We had anticipated this kindness on the part of the count,” said Beauchamp, “and I have brought some weapons which I bought eight or ten days since, thinking to want them on a similar occasion. —
“我们预料到了伯爵的善意,”贝朝邦说道,“我还带了一些兵器,八到十天前我买来,以防类似的场合需要使用。 —

They are quite new, and have not yet been used. —
它们是全新的,还没有使用过。 —

Will you examine them.”
你要不要检查一下。”

“Oh, M. Beauchamp, if you assure me that M. de Morcerf does not know these pistols, you may readily believe that your word will be quite sufficient.”
“啊,贝朝邦先生,如果您保证莫尔塞夫先生不认识这些手枪,您的话可以相信是足够了。”

“Gentlemen,” said Château-Renaud, “it is not Morcerf coming in that carriage; —
“先生们,”夏多邦说道,“马赛夫并没有坐那辆马车过来; —

—faith, it is Franz and Debray!”
哎呀,竟然是弗朗茨和德布雷!”

The two young men he announced were indeed approaching. —
他刚才宣布的两个年轻人果然就快要走到。 —

“What chance brings you here, gentlemen? —
“先生们,是什么巧合让你们来这儿? —

” said Château-Renaud, shaking hands with each of them.
”夏多邦与两人握手问道。

“Because,” said Debray, “Albert sent this morning to request us to come. —
“因为,”德布雷说,“阿尔贝今天早晨请我们来的。 —

” Beauchamp and Château-Renaud exchanged looks of astonishment. —
”贝朝邦和夏多邦互相对视着,都感到惊讶。 —

“I think I understand his reason,” said Morrel.
“我想我明白他的原因了,”莫雷尔说道。

“What is it?”
“是什么原因?”

“Yesterday afternoon I received a letter from M. de Morcerf, begging me to attend the Opera.”
“昨天下午,我收到了莫尔塞夫先生的一封信,他请求我参加歌剧院。”

“And I,” said Debray.
“我也是。”迪布雷说道。

“And I also,” said Franz.
“我也是。”弗朗茨回应道。

“And we, too,” added Beauchamp and Château-Renaud.
“我们也是。”贝欧尚和沙托·勒诺补充说道。

“Having wished you all to witness the challenge, he now wishes you to be present at the combat.”
“他希望你们都目睹这场决斗,并希望你们亲自参与。”

“Exactly so,” said the young men; “you have probably guessed right.”
“正是这样,”年轻人们说道,“你可能猜对了。”

“But, after all these arrangements, he does not come himself,” said Château-Renaud. —
“但是,在做了所有这些安排之后,他自己却没有前来,”沙托·勒诺说道。 —

“Albert is ten minutes after time.”
“艾伯特已经晚了十分钟了。”

“There he comes,” said Beauchamp, “on horseback, at full gallop, followed by a servant.”
“他来了,”贝欧尚说道,“骑着马,全速前进,被一个仆人跟随着。”

“How imprudent,” said Château-Renaud, “to come on horseback to fight a duel with pistols, after all the instructions I had given him.”
“太鲁莽了,”沙托·勒诺说道,“在我已经给他的所有指示之后,他骑马来打一场用手枪决斗的比赛。”

“And besides,” said Beauchamp, “with a collar above his cravat, an open coat and white waistcoat! —
“而且,”贝欧尚说道,“他还戴着领圈,敞开外套,穿着白色背心!” —

Why has he not painted a spot upon his heart? —
“他为什么没有在胸口画个标记呢?” —

—it would have been more simple.”
“这样更简单。”

Meanwhile Albert had arrived within ten paces of the group formed by the five young men. —
同时,阿尔伯特已经离那五个年轻人组成的团体不到十步的距离。 —

He jumped from his horse, threw the bridle on his servant’s arms, and joined them. —
他从马上跳下来,把缰绳扔在仆人的手臂上,加入了他们。 —

He was pale, and his eyes were red and swollen; it was evident that he had not slept. —
他脸色苍白,眼睛红肿,显然他没有睡觉。 —

A shade of melancholy gravity overspread his countenance, which was not natural to him.
一种忧郁的严肃氛围笼罩着他的脸庞,这对他来说不太自然。

“I thank you, gentlemen,” said he, “for having complied with my request; —
“感谢诸位,”他说,“愿意答应我的请求; —

I feel extremely grateful for this mark of friendship. —
我非常感激这种友谊的表示。 —

” Morrel had stepped back as Morcerf approached, and remained at a short distance. —
当莫尔切夫走近时,莫雷尔向后退了一步,保持在一段距离。 —

“And to you also, M. Morrel, my thanks are due. —
“对你,莫雷尔先生,也要表示感谢。 —

Come, there cannot be too many.”
来吧,越多越好。”

“Sir,” said Maximilian, “you are not perhaps aware that I am M. de Monte Cristo’s friend?”
“先生,”马克西米利安说,“你可能不知道我是蒙蒂克里斯托先生的朋友?”

“I was not sure, but I thought it might be so. So much the better; —
“我不确定,但我想可能是这样。越多有品德的人在这里,我就越满意。” —

the more honorable men there are here the better I shall be satisfied.”
这里有越多尊贵的人,我就越满意。

“M. Morrel,” said Château-Renaud, “will you apprise the Count of Monte Cristo that M. de Morcerf is arrived, and we are at his disposal?”
“莫雷尔先生,”夏多雷诺说道,“您可以告知蒙蒂·克里斯托伯爵,莫塞夫先生已经到了,我们随时都可以向他效命。”

Morrel was preparing to fulfil his commission. —
莫雷尔准备履行他的任务。 —

Beauchamp had meanwhile drawn the box of pistols from the carriage.
与此同时,博尚准备了马车上的手枪盒。

“Stop, gentlemen,” said Albert; “I have two words to say to the Count of Monte Cristo.”
“等一下,先生们,”阿尔贝说道,“我有几句话要对蒙蒂·克里斯托伯爵说。”

“In private?” asked Morrel.
“私下说吗?”莫雷尔问道。

“No, sir; before all who are here.”
“不,先生,当着在场的每一个人都说。”

Albert’s witnesses looked at each other. —
阿尔贝的证人们相互看了看。 —

Franz and Debray exchanged some words in a whisper, and Morrel, rejoiced at this unexpected incident, went to fetch the count, who was walking in a retired path with Emmanuel.
弗朗茨和德布雷悄声交谈了几句,而莫雷尔则对这个意外事件感到高兴,他去找克里斯托伯爵,后者正在与艾曼纽尔在一条僻静的小径上散步。

“What does he want with me?” said Monte Cristo.
“他找我有什么事?”蒙蒂·克里斯托问道。

“I do not know, but he wishes to speak to you.”
“我不知道,但是他想要与您谈话。”

“Ah?” said Monte Cristo, “I trust he is not going to tempt me by some fresh insult!”
“啊?”蒙蒂·克里斯托说道,“希望他不是想要通过一些新的侮辱来诱惑我!”

“I do not think that such is his intention,” said Morrel.
“我不认为他有这个意图,”莫雷尔说道。

The count advanced, accompanied by Maximilian and Emmanuel. —
克里斯托伯爵带着马克西米里安和艾曼纽尔走了过来。 —

His calm and serene look formed a singular contrast to Albert’s grief-stricken face, who approached also, followed by the other four young men.
他平静宁和的神情形成了与阿尔伯特绝望的脸庞形成了鲜明的对比,后者也走过来了,后面还跟着另外四个年轻人。

When at three paces distant from each other, Albert and the count stopped.
当阿尔伯特和伯爵相距三步时,停了下来。

“Approach, gentlemen,” said Albert; “I wish you not to lose one word of what I am about to have the honor of saying to the Count of Monte Cristo, for it must be repeated by you to all who will listen to it, strange as it may appear to you.”
“各位,请靠近一些,” 阿尔伯特说道, “我希望你们不错过我即将荣幸对蒙特克里斯托伯爵说的每个字,因为你们必须将它传达给每个愿意听取的人,哪怕对你们来说它可能听起来很奇怪。”

“Proceed, sir,” said the count.
“请开始吧,先生,” 伯爵说道。

“Sir,” said Albert, at first with a tremulous voice, but which gradually became firmer, “I reproached you with exposing the conduct of M. de Morcerf in Epirus, for guilty as I knew he was, I thought you had no right to punish him; —
“先生,” 阿尔伯特开始时声音有些颤抖,但逐渐变得坚定起来, “我曾经指责您公开揭露了莫尔塞夫先生在希腊的行为,因为尽管我知道他有罪,我认为您没有权利惩罚他; —

but I have since learned that you had that right. —
但我现在已经了解到您确实有这个权利。” —

It is not Fernand Mondego’s treachery towards Ali Pasha which induces me so readily to excuse you, but the treachery of the fisherman Fernand towards you, and the almost unheard-of miseries which were its consequences; —
我宽恕你并非因为费尔南德·蒙德戈对阿里·帕夏的背叛,而是针对渔夫费尔南德对你的背叛以及由此带来的难以置信的痛苦。 —

and I say, and proclaim it publicly, that you were justified in revenging yourself on my father, and I, his son, thank you for not using greater severity.”
我公开宣布,你对我的父亲报仇是正当的,作为他的儿子,我感谢你没有使用更严厉的手段。

Had a thunderbolt fallen in the midst of the spectators of this unexpected scene, it would not have surprised them more than did Albert’s declaration. —
如果在这个意外的场景中,一道雷电突然劈中观众,他们不会比阿尔贝公开宣布的更惊讶。 —

As for Monte Cristo, his eyes slowly rose towards heaven with an expression of infinite gratitude. —
至于蒙蒂克里斯托,他的目光缓慢地朝天堂升起,带着无尽的感激之情。 —

He could not understand how Albert’s fiery nature, of which he had seen so much among the Roman bandits, had suddenly stooped to this humiliation. —
他无法理解阿尔贝这个火爆的性格,他在罗马土匪中所见的那个性格,居然屈服于这种屈辱。 —

He recognized the influence of Mercédès, and saw why her noble heart had not opposed the sacrifice she knew beforehand would be useless.
他意识到了梅赛德斯的影响,并明白她的高雅心灵为何没有反对这个她事先知道将是徒劳无益的牺牲。

“Now, sir,” said Albert, “if you think my apology sufficient, pray give me your hand. —
“现在,先生,”阿尔贝说,“如果您认为我的道歉足够了,请给我您的手。” —

Next to the merit of infallibility which you appear to possess, I rank that of candidly acknowledging a fault. —
“在您似乎拥有的绝对正确之外,我认为坦率承认错误是最有价值的品质。” —

But this confession concerns me only. I acted well as a man, but you have acted better than man. —
“但这个忏悔只与我有关。作为一个人,我表现得很好,但您表现得比人更好。” —

An angel alone could have saved one of us from death—that angel came from heaven, if not to make us friends (which, alas, fatality renders impossible), at least to make us esteem each other.”
“只有天使才能拯救我们其中的一个免于死亡,而那个天使来自天堂,即使不能让我们成为朋友(哀哉,命运使得这成为不可能),至少让我们互相尊重。”

Monte Cristo, with moistened eye, heaving breast, and lips half open, extended to Albert a hand which the latter pressed with a sentiment resembling respectful fear.
蒙特克里斯托湿润的眼眶,起伏的胸膛和半张着的嘴唇,伸出手来,阿尔贝用一种近乎恭敬的恐惧感握住了他。

“Gentlemen,” said he, “M. de Monte Cristo receives my apology. —
“先生们,”他说,“蒙特克里斯托先生接受了我的道歉。 —

I had acted hastily towards him. Hasty actions are generally bad ones. Now my fault is repaired. —
我之前对他采取了仓促的行动。匆忙的行动通常是不好的。现在我的错误已经得到纠正。 —

I hope the world will not call me cowardly for acting as my conscience dictated. —
我希望世人不会因为我按照良心所指行事而称我为懦夫。” —

But if anyone should entertain a false opinion of me,” added he, drawing himself up as if he would challenge both friends and enemies, “I shall endeavor to correct his mistake.”
“但如果有人对我产生错误的看法,”他补充道,挺直身子,仿佛要向朋友和敌人们发出挑战,“我将努力纠正他的误解。”

“What happened during the night?” asked Beauchamp of Château-Renaud; —
“夜里发生了什么?” Beacuhamp问Château-Renaud; —

“we appear to make a very sorry figure here.”
“我们似乎在这里形象狼狈可哀。”

“In truth, what Albert has just done is either very despicable or very noble, ” replied the baron.
“事实上,阿尔伯特刚才做的要么非常卑鄙,要么非常高尚,”男爵回答道。

“What can it mean?” said Debray to Franz.
“这是什么意思?” Debray对Franz说。

“The Count of Monte Cristo acts dishonorably to M. de Morcerf, and is justified by his son! —
“蒙特克里斯托伯爵对德·莫尔塞夫先生行为不光彩,而他的儿子却在理。” —

Had I ten Yaninas in my family, I should only consider myself the more bound to fight ten times.”
“即使我的家族中有十个雅尼纳,我仍然会觉得自己有责任战斗十次。”

As for Monte Cristo, his head was bent down, his arms were powerless. —
至于蒙特克里斯托,他低着头,他的双臂无力。 —

Bowing under the weight of twenty-four years’ reminiscences, he thought not of Albert, of Beauchamp, of Château-Renaud, or of any of that group; —
负着二十四年回忆的重担,他没有想到阿尔伯特,Beauchamp, Château-Renaud,或者那个小组中的任何人。 —

but he thought of that courageous woman who had come to plead for her son’s life, to whom he had offered his, and who had now saved it by the revelation of a dreadful family secret, capable of destroying forever in that young man’s heart every feeling of filial piety.
但他想起那位勇敢的女人为儿子的性命而来求情,他向她提出了自己的性命,现在她却通过揭示一段可摧毁那个年轻人心中所有孝道感情的可怕家族秘密来拯救了他的性命。

“Providence still,” murmured he; “now only am I fully convinced of being the emissary of God!”
“上天依然保佑,”他低声说道,“现在我完全相信自己是上帝的使者!”