At the same moment M. de Villefort’s voice was heard calling from his study, “What is the matter?”
同时,维勒福先生的声音从书房传来,“出了什么事?”

Morrel looked at Noirtier who had recovered his self-command, and with a glance indicated the closet where once before under somewhat similar circumstances, he had taken refuge. —
莫雷尔看着恢复了自制力的努尔蒂埃,用眼神指向衣帽间。在类似情况下,他曾一次躲在那里。 —

He had only time to get his hat and throw himself breathless into the closet when the procureur’s footstep was heard in the passage.
他只来得及拿上帽子,喘不过气地钻进了衣帽间,就听到审判官走廊里的脚步声。

Villefort sprang into the room, ran to Valentine, and took her in his arms.
维勒福冲进房间,跑向瓦伦丁,抱住了她。

“A physician, a physician,—M. d’Avrigny!” cried Villefort; —
“找医生,找医生——德阿夫尼先生!”维勒福喊道。 —

“or rather I will go for him myself.”
“或者我自己去找他。”

He flew from the apartment, and Morrel at the same moment darted out at the other door. —
他一溜烟就从房间里飞出来了,与此同时,莫雷尔也从另一扇门中冲了出去。 —

He had been struck to the heart by a frightful recollection—the conversation he had heard between the doctor and Villefort the night of Madame de Saint-Méran’s death, recurred to him; —
他被一段可怕的回忆击中,那是他听到医生和维勒福在圣梅兰夫人死去的那个晚上的对话。这些症状,虽然不那么严重,却与巴鲁瓦死亡前的症状相同。 —

these symptoms, to a less alarming extent, were the same which had preceded the death of Barrois. —
这些症状在轻微程度上与巴鲁瓦的死亡前相同。 —

At the same time Monte Cristo’s voice seemed to resound in his ear with the words he had heard only two hours before, “Whatever you want, Morrel, come to me; —
此时,蒙蒂克里斯托的声音似乎在他的耳边回响着,只有两个小时之前他听到的那句话:“无论你想要什么,莫雷尔,来找我吧; —

I have great power.”
我有很大的权力。”

More rapidly than thought, he darted down the Rue Matignon, and thence to the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.
他比思维更快地冲下了Matignon街,然后到了香榭丽舍大道。

Meanwhile M. de Villefort arrived in a hired cabriolet at M. d’Avrigny’s door. —
与此同时,维尔福先生乘坐一辆出租马车到达了达维尼医生的门口。 —

He rang so violently that the porter was alarmed. —
他按门铃的力道大到让门房感到惊慌。 —

Villefort ran upstairs without saying a word. —
维尔福先生默不作声地跑上了楼。 —

The porter knew him, and let him pass, only calling to him:
门房认识他,所以放他进去了,只是对他喊道:

“In his study, Monsieur Procureur—in his study! —
“在他的书房里,检察官先生,就在他的书房里! —

” Villefort pushed, or rather forced, the door open.
”维尔福先生用力地推开了门。

“Ah,” said the doctor, “is it you?”
“啊,”医生说,“是你啊?”

“Yes,” said Villefort, closing the door after him, “it is I, who am come in my turn to ask you if we are quite alone. —
“是的,”维尔福先生在他身后关上门,“轮到我来问你我们是不是独处了。 —

Doctor, my house is accursed!”
医生,我的房子是受诅咒的!”

“What?” said the latter with apparent coolness, but with deep emotion, “have you another invalid?”
“什么?”后者表面上似乎很冷静,但内心却涌动着深深的情感,“你又有一个病人了吗?”

“Yes, doctor,” cried Villefort, clutching his hair, “yes!”
“是的,医生!”维尔福大声喊道,抓住自己的头发,“是的!”

D’Avrigny’s look implied, “I told you it would be so. —
达维尼的表情暗示着:“我告诉过你会这样的。” —

” Then he slowly uttered these words, “Who is now dying in your house? —
“那么,现在是谁在你家里奄奄一息?”然后他缓慢地说出这些话,“有哪个新的受害者要在上帝面前指责你的软弱?” —

What new victim is going to accuse you of weakness before God?”
维尔福的心中发出了悲伤的呜咽声;他走近医生,抓住他的胳膊,“瓦伦丁,”他说,“该轮到瓦伦丁了!”

A mournful sob burst from Villefort’s heart; —
“你的女儿!”达维尼惊恐万分地喊道。 —

he approached the doctor, and seizing his arm,—“Valentine, ” said he, “it is Valentine’s turn!”
“你看到了,你被欺骗了,”审判官嘀咕着说,“快去看她,在她的痛苦中恳求她原谅你怀疑她。”

“Your daughter!” cried d’Avrigny with grief and surprise.
“每次你找我都已经太晚了,”医生说道,“但我还是会去。”

“You see you were deceived,” murmured the magistrate; —
“噢,这次,医生,你不会再指责我软弱了。 —

“come and see her, and on her bed of agony entreat her pardon for having suspected her.”
这次我会找到凶手,并追捕他。”

“Each time you have applied to me,” said the doctor, “it has been too late; —
“但是我们要快点,先生;面对你的敌人,时间不容浪费。” —

still I will go. —
“哦,这次,医生,你不会再责怪我软弱。 —

But let us make haste, sir; with the enemies you have to do with there is no time to be lost.”
这次我会认识到凶手,并会追捕他。”

“Oh, this time, doctor, you shall not have to reproach me with weakness. —
“但我们要快点,先生;面对你的敌人,时间不容浪费。” —

This time I will know the assassin, and will pursue him.”
“这次,医生,你不会再责怪我软弱了。

“Let us try first to save the victim before we think of revenging her, ” said d’Avrigny. “Come.”
“让我们先试着救回受害者,再考虑报复她,”d’Avrigny说。“来。”

The same cabriolet which had brought Villefort took them back at full speed, and at this moment Morrel rapped at Monte Cristo’s door.
把维尔福带来的那辆马车以全速将他们送回,就在这时,莫雷尔在蒙蒂克里斯托的门上敲了敲。

The count was in his study and was reading with an angry look something which Bertuccio had brought in haste. —
伯图奇奥匆匆带来的东西使得蒙蒂克里斯托愤怒地在他的书房里阅读着。 —

Hearing the name of Morrel, who had left him only two hours before, the count raised his head, arose, and sprang to meet him.
听到刚刚两个小时前离开他的莫雷尔的名字,蒙蒂克里斯托抬起头,站起身,迎面走向他。

“What is the matter, Maximilian?” asked he; —
“怎么了,马克西米利安?”他问道; —

“you are pale, and the perspiration rolls from your forehead. —
“你脸色苍白,汗水从你的额头上淌下来。 —

” Morrel fell into a chair.
”莫雷尔坐在椅子上。

“Yes,” said he, “I came quickly; I wanted to speak to you.”
“是的,”他说,“我来得很快,我想和你谈谈。”

“Are all your family well?” asked the count, with an affectionate benevolence, whose sincerity no one could for a moment doubt.
“你的家人都好吗?”蒙蒂克里斯托用一种亲切的仁慈问道,没有人会怀疑这种真诚。

“Thank you, count—thank you,” said the young man, evidently embarrassed how to begin the conversation; —
“谢谢你,伯爵,谢谢你,”这个年轻人明显感到尴尬,不知道如何开始谈话; —

“yes, everyone in my family is well.”
“是的,我家里每个人都很好。”

“So much the better; yet you have something to tell me? —
“更好。那你有什么要告诉我的吗?” —

” replied the count with increased anxiety.
回答道的时候,伯爵的焦虑变得更加增加了。

“Yes,” said Morrel, “it is true; I have but now left a house where death has just entered, to run to you.”
“是的。”莫雷尔说,“是真的;我刚刚离开一个刚刚发生死亡的地方来找你。”

“Are you then come from M. de Morcerf’s?” asked Monte Cristo.
“那你是从莫尔塞夫先生那里来的吗?”蒙德克里斯托问道。

“No,” said Morrel; “is someone dead in his house?”
“不,”莫雷尔说,“他家里有人去世了吗?”

“The general has just blown his brains out,” replied Monte Cristo with great coolness.
“将军刚刚开枪自杀了。”蒙德克里斯托冷静地回答。

“Oh, what a dreadful event!” cried Maximilian.
“哦,多么可怕的事件!”马克西米利安叫道。

“Not for the countess, or for Albert,” said Monte Cristo; —
“对于伯爵夫人或者阿尔贝而言,不是可怕的。”蒙德克里斯托说。 —

“a dead father or husband is better than a dishonored one,—blood washes out shame.”
“一个已故的父亲或者丈夫比一个受辱的人更好,血液可以洗刷耻辱。”

“Poor countess,” said Maximilian, “I pity her very much; she is so noble a woman!”
“可怜的伯爵夫人,”马克西米利安说,“我非常同情她,她是如此高贵的女人!”

“Pity Albert also, Maximilian; for believe me he is the worthy son of the countess. —
“也要同情阿尔贝,马克西米利安;相信我,他是伯爵夫人配得上的儿子。” —

But let us return to yourself. You have hastened to me—can I have the happiness of being useful to you?”
“但是让我们回到你自己。你匆忙来找我——我能有幸对你有所帮助吗?”

“Yes, I need your help: that is I thought like a madman that you could lend me your assistance in a case where God alone can succor me.”
“是的,我需要你的帮助:也就是说我像个疯子一样认为你可以借助上帝之力来帮助我。”

“Tell me what it is,” replied Monte Cristo.
“告诉我是什么事情,”蒙德·克里斯托回答道。

“Oh,” said Morrel, “I know not, indeed, if I may reveal this secret to mortal ears, but fatality impels me, necessity constrains me, count——” Morrel hesitated.
“哦,”莫雷尔说,“我不知道,我是否可以将这个秘密透露给凡人的耳朵,但命运驱使着我,必要性逼迫着我,伯爵——”莫雷尔犹豫了一下。

“Do you think I love you?” said Monte Cristo, taking the young man’s hand affectionately in his.
“你认为我爱你吗?” 蒙德·克里斯托亲切地握着年轻人的手问道。

“Oh, you encourage me, and something tells me there, ” placing his hand on his heart, “that I ought to have no secret from you.”
“哦,你鼓励了我,我的内心告诉我,在那里,”他将手放在心上,“我不应该对你有任何秘密。”

“You are right, Morrel; God is speaking to your heart, and your heart speaks to you. —
“你说得对,莫雷尔,上帝正在对你的内心说话,而你的内心正在对你说话。 —

Tell me what it says.”
告诉我它说了什么。”

“Count, will you allow me to send Baptistin to inquire after someone you know?”
“伯爵,你允许我派巴蒂斯坦去打听你认识的某个人吗?”

“I am at your service, and still more my servants.”
“我听候您的差遣,而我的仆人们更加听候您的差遣。”

“Oh, I cannot live if she is not better.”
“哦,如果她没有好转,我将无法生存。”

“Shall I ring for Baptistin?”
“我应该让巴蒂斯坦去吗?”

“No, I will go and speak to him myself. —
“不,我会亲自去找他谈谈。” —

” Morrel went out, called Baptistin, and whispered a few words to him. —
莫雷尔走出去,找到巴蒂斯坦,对他低声说了几句话。 —

The valet ran directly.
这个仆人直接跑了过去。

“Well, have you sent?” asked Monte Cristo, seeing Morrel return.
“你已经派出去了吗?”蒙德克里斯托看到莫雷尔回来后问道。

“Yes, and now I shall be more calm.”
“是的,现在我会更冷静一些。”

“You know I am waiting,” said Monte Cristo, smiling.
“你知道我在等待,”蒙德克里斯托微笑着说道。

“Yes, and I will tell you. One evening I was in a garden; a clump of trees concealed me; —
“是的,我会告诉你的。有一天晚上我在一个花园里,有一丛树把我藏起来了; —

no one suspected I was there. Two persons passed near me—allow me to conceal their names for the present; —
没有人怀疑我在那里。有两个人从我身边经过 - 请允许我暂时隐瞒他们的名字; —

they were speaking in an undertone, and yet I was so interested in what they said that I did not lose a single word.”
他们悄声交谈,但我对他们所说的内容非常感兴趣,没有错过一句话。”

“This is a gloomy introduction, if I may judge from your pallor and shuddering, Morrel.”
“根据你的脸色苍白和颤抖,莫雷尔,这个介绍很阴郁。”

“Oh, yes, very gloomy, my friend. Someone had just died in the house to which that garden belonged. One of the persons whose conversation I overheard was the master of the house; —
“哦,是的,非常阴郁,我的朋友。刚刚有人在那个花园所属的房子里死去了。我窃听到的两个人中有一位是房主。” —

the other, the physician. The former was confiding to the latter his grief and fear, for it was the second time within a month that death had suddenly and unexpectedly entered that house which was apparently destined to destruction by some exterminating angel, as an object of God’s anger.”
一方是悲伤而恐惧的人,向另一位医生倾诉着他的忧愁和恐惧。因为在一个月内,死神已经两次突然而意外地进入了这个注定要被某个消灭天使毁灭的家庭,仿佛是上帝愤怒的对象。

“Ah, indeed?” said Monte Cristo, looking earnestly at the young man, and by an imperceptible movement turning his chair, so that he remained in the shade while the light fell full on Maximilian’s face.
“啊,确实吗?”蒙特克里斯托注视着年轻人,动作上不易察觉地转动了椅子,让自己处于阴暗之中,而光线则完全照亮了马克西米利安的脸庞。

“Yes,” continued Morrel, “death had entered that house twice within one month.”
“是的,”莫雷尔继续说道,”在一个月内,死神已经两次进入那个家庭。

“And what did the doctor answer?” asked Monte Cristo.
“医生是怎么回答的?”蒙特克里斯托问道。

“He replied—he replied, that the death was not a natural one, and must be attributed”—
“他回答,他回答说那个死亡不是自然的,必须归咎于”—

“To what?”
“归咎于什么?”

“To poison.”
“归咎于毒药。

“Indeed!” said Monte Cristo with a slight cough which in moments of extreme emotion helped him to disguise a blush, or his pallor, or the intense interest with which he listened; —
“真的吗!“蒙特克里斯托轻咳了一声,在极度情绪激动时,这种咳嗽帮助他掩饰了脸红、苍白或者他专注地倾听时所产生的浓厚兴趣。 —

“indeed, Maximilian, did you hear that?”
“真的吗,马克西米利安,你听到了吗?”

“Yes, my dear count, I heard it; and the doctor added that if another death occurred in a similar way he must appeal to justice.”
“是的,亲爱的伯爵,我听到了;医生还说如果再发生类似的死亡,他必须求助于法律。”

Monte Cristo listened, or appeared to do so, with the greatest calmness.
蒙特克里斯托听着,或者看起来是这样,非常冷静。

“Well,” said Maximilian, “death came a third time, and neither the master of the house nor the doctor said a word. —
“好吧,”马克西米利安说,“死亡第三次来临,房屋的主人和医生都没有说一句话。” —

Death is now, perhaps, striking a fourth blow. —
现在,死亡也许正在发动第四次打击。 —

Count, what am I bound to do, being in possession of this secret?”
伯爵,作为知晓这个秘密的人,我应该怎么做呢?”

“My dear friend,” said Monte Cristo, “you appear to be relating an adventure which we all know by heart. —
“亲爱的朋友,”蒙特克里斯托说,“你似乎在讲述我们都心知肚明的一个冒险故事。 —

I know the house where you heard it, or one very similar to it; —
我知道你听到这个故事的房子,或者说非常类似的房子; —

a house with a garden, a master, a physician, and where there have been three unexpected and sudden deaths. —
一个有花园的房子,一个主人,一个医生,在那里发生了三起意外而突然的死亡。 —

Well, I have not intercepted your confidence, and yet I know all that as well as you, and I have no conscientious scruples. —
嗯,我没有侵犯你的信任,然而我和你一样全都了解,并且我没有任何道德上的顾虑。 —

No, it does not concern me. You say an exterminating angel appears to have devoted that house to God’s anger—well, who says your supposition is not reality? —
不,这和我无关。你说有一把屠杀的天使出现,将那所房子奉献给上帝的愤怒——好吧,谁说你的假设不是现实呢? —

Do not notice things which those whose interest it is to see them pass over. —
不要注意那些那些有兴趣看到的东西而忽略了。 —

If it is God’s justice, instead of his anger, which is walking through that house, Maximilian, turn away your face and let his justice accomplish its purpose.”
如果那只是上帝的正义在那所房子里行走,而不是他的愤怒,麦克西米良,转过脸去,让他的正义完成任务。

Morrel shuddered. There was something mournful, solemn, and terrible in the count’s manner.
摩雷尔战栗了一下。伯爵的态度中有一种哀伤、庄严和可怕之感。

“Besides,” continued he, in so changed a tone that no one would have supposed it was the same person speaking—“besides, who says that it will begin again?”
此外,他接着说,语气变得如此不同,以至于没有人会认为是同一个人在讲话——此外,谁说它会再次发生呢?

“It has returned, count,” exclaimed Morrel; “that is why I hastened to you.”
“它回来了,伯爵,”摩雷尔喊道,“这就是我为什么赶来找你的原因。”

“Well, what do you wish me to do? Do you wish me, for instance, to give information to the procureur? —
“好吧,你希望我做什么呢?比如,你希望我向检察官提供信息吗? —

” Monte Cristo uttered the last words with so much meaning that Morrel, starting up, cried out:
蒙蒂·克里斯托的最后一句话带着如此深意,以至于摩雷尔惊起,喊道:

“You know of whom I speak, count, do you not?”
“你知道我在说谁,伯爵,不是吗?”

“Perfectly well, my good friend; and I will prove it to you by putting the dots to the i, or rather by naming the persons. —
“非常清楚,我亲爱的朋友;我将通过给’i’加点或者直接点名来证明给你听。 —

You were walking one evening in M. de Villefort’s garden; —
你在一天晚上在维尔福男爵的花园里散步; —

from what you relate, I suppose it to have been the evening of Madame de Saint-Méran’s death. —
根据你的描述,我猜测那天晚上是圣梅朗夫人去世的那天。 —

You heard M. de Villefort talking to M. d’Avrigny about the death of M. de Saint-Méran, and that no less surprising, of the countess. —
你听到维尔福与达维尼谈论圣梅朗先生的死以及同样令人惊讶的是,伯爵夫人的死。 —

M. d’Avrigny said he believed they both proceeded from poison; —
达维尼先生说他相信这两起死亡事件都是由毒药引起的; —

and you, honest man, have ever since been asking your heart and sounding your conscience to know if you ought to expose or conceal this secret. —
而你,诚实的人,从那以后一直在问问自己的良心,探求你是否应该揭露或隐瞒这个秘密。 —

We are no longer in the Middle Ages; there is no longer a Vehmgericht, or Free Tribunals; —
我们已经不再处于中世纪;不再有维姆盖里希特,或者自由法庭; —

what do you want to ask these people? ‘Conscience, what hast thou to do with me? —
你想问这些人什么?‘良心啊,你与我何干? —

’ as Sterne said. My dear fellow, let them sleep on, if they are asleep; —
’正如斯特恩所说的。亲爱的朋友,如果他们还在沉睡,请让他们继续沉睡; —

let them grow pale in their drowsiness, if they are disposed to do so, and pray do you remain in peace, who have no remorse to disturb you.”
让他们在昏昏欲睡中变得苍白吧,如果他们愿意的话,而请你保持冷静,你没有什么悔恨会打扰到你。

Deep grief was depicted on Morrel’s features; —
莫雷尔的面容上写满了深深的悲伤。 —

he seized Monte Cristo’s hand. “But it is beginning again, I say!”
他紧握着蒙特克里斯托的手。“但是它又开始了,我说!

“Well,” said the Count, astonished at his perseverance, which he could not understand, and looking still more earnestly at Maximilian, “let it begin again,—it is like the house of the Atreidae; —
“好吧,”蒙特克里斯托对他的毅力感到惊讶,他无法理解,并更加专注地看着马克西米利安,“让它再次开始吧,这就像阿特里达伊家族的屋子一样; —

19 God has condemned them, and they must submit to their punishment. —
19 上帝已经判决了他们,他们必须屈服于惩罚。 —

They will all disappear, like the fabrics children build with cards, and which fall, one by one, under the breath of their builder, even if there are two hundred of them. —
他们都将消失,就像孩子们用纸牌搭建的房屋一样,一块一块地倒下,在建造者的呼吸中消散,即使他们有二百个。 —

Three months since it was M. de Saint-Méran; Madame de Saint-Méran two months since; —
三个月前是圣梅兰先生;两个月前是圣梅兰夫人; —

the other day it was Barrois; today, the old Noirtier, or young Valentine.”
前几天是巴鲁瓦;今天是老诺尔缇尔,或者年轻的瓦伦丁。”

“You knew it?” cried Morrel, in such a paroxysm of terror that Monte Cristo started, —he whom the falling heavens would have found unmoved; —
“你知道吗?”莫尔喊道,吓得蒙蒂克里斯托一惊,即使是天塌下来他也能不动声色; —

“you knew it, and said nothing?”
“你知道,却什么都没说?”

“And what is it to me?” replied Monte Cristo, shrugging his shoulders; —
“那又关我什么事?”蒙蒂克里斯托耸了耸肩膀回答道; —

“do I know those people? and must I lose the one to save the other? —
“我认识那些人吗?我要失去一个来拯救另一个吗? —

Faith, no, for between the culprit and the victim I have no choice.”
信仰,不,对于罪犯和受害者之间,我没有选择。”

“But I,” cried Morrel, groaning with sorrow, “I love her!”
“但是,”莫尔喊道,带着悲痛呻吟,“我爱她!”

“You love?—whom?” cried Monte Cristo, starting to his feet, and seizing the two hands which Morrel was raising towards heaven.
“你爱?是谁?”蒙蒂克里斯托站起来,抓住莫尔朝天举起的两只手。

“I love most fondly—I love madly—I love as a man who would give his life-blood to spare her a tear—I love Valentine de Villefort, who is being murdered at this moment! —
“我深深地爱着她,我疯狂地爱着她,我愿意用我的生命之血来换取她的一滴泪水,我爱瓦伦丁·德·维尔福,她此刻正遭受着谋杀!” —

Do you understand me? I love her; and I ask God and you how I can save her?”
“你明白吗?我爱她,我问上帝和你,我如何才能拯救她?”

Monte Cristo uttered a cry which those only can conceive who have heard the roar of a wounded lion. —
蒙蒂克里斯托发出了一声叫喊,只有听过受伤狮子的咆哮的人才能理解。 —

“Unhappy man,” cried he, wringing his hands in his turn; —
“不幸的人啊!”他扭动着双手喊道。 —

“you love Valentine,—that daughter of an accursed race!”
“你爱瓦伦蒂娜——那个被诅咒的家族的女儿!”

Never had Morrel witnessed such an expression—never had so terrible an eye flashed before his face—never had the genius of terror he had so often seen, either on the battle-field or in the murderous nights of Algeria, shaken around him more dreadful fire. —
莫雷尔从未见过如此表情,从未见过如此可怕的眼神在自己面前闪现,从未见过他所熟悉的恐怖天才,在战场或阿尔及利亚的血腥之夜中,发出如此可怕的火焰。 —

He drew back terrified.
他受到了极大的惊吓,退后了。

As for Monte Cristo, after this ebullition he closed his eyes as if dazzled by internal light. —
至于蒙蒂克里斯托,在此之后,他闭上了眼睛,仿佛被内心的光芒所眩晕。 —

In a moment he restrained himself so powerfully that the tempestuous heaving of his breast subsided, as turbulent and foaming waves yield to the sun’s genial influence when the cloud has passed. —
他立刻强制自己,以至于他胸口的汹涌和泛滥的浪潮也平息了下来,就好像曾经风云突变后,阳光的温暖影响下,汹涌澎湃的波浪会消弭。 —

This silence, self-control, and struggle lasted about twenty seconds, then the count raised his pallid face.
这段沉默、自我控制和挣扎持续了大约二十秒,然后计数提起苍白的脸。

“See,” said he, “my dear friend, how God punishes the most thoughtless and unfeeling men for their indifference, by presenting dreadful scenes to their view. —
“你看,”他说,“亲爱的朋友,上帝如何用可怕的场景来惩罚最不经意和无情的人对他人无动于衷的态度。” —

I, who was looking on, an eager and curious spectator,—I, who was watching the working of this mournful tragedy,—I, who like a wicked angel was laughing at the evil men committed protected by secrecy (a secret is easily kept by the rich and powerful), I am in my turn bitten by the serpent whose tortuous course I was watching, and bitten to the heart!”
我作为一个热切而好奇的旁观者,我看着这悲惨的悲剧上演,我像一个邪恶的天使一样嘲笑着那些隐藏在秘密中犯下的恶行(富有和权势的人很容易保守秘密),而现在,我也被我所观察的曲折的命运所咬伤,咬在了心头!

Morrel groaned.
莫尔痛苦地呻吟着。

“Come, come,” continued the count, “complaints are unavailing, be a man, be strong, be full of hope, for I am here and will watch over you.”
“来吧,来吧”,伯爵继续说道,”抱怨是没用的,做个男人,要坚强,要充满希望,因为我在这里,会照顾你的。”

Morrel shook his head sorrowfully.
莫尔悲伤地摇了摇头。

“I tell you to hope. Do you understand me?” cried Monte Cristo. —
“我告诉你要有希望,明白吗?”蒙特克里斯托喊道。 —

“Remember that I never uttered a falsehood and am never deceived. —
“记住我从未说过谎话,也从未被欺骗过。 —

It is twelve o’clock, Maximilian; thank heaven that you came at noon rather than in the evening, or tomorrow morning. —
现在是中午12点,马克西米利安,感谢上苍你在中午而不是晚上或明天早上来到。 —

Listen, Morrel—it is noon; if Valentine is not now dead, she will not die.”
听着,莫尔,现在是中午;如果瓦伦丁现在还没有死,她就不会死。

“How so?” cried Morrel, “when I left her dying?”
“怎么可能?”莫尔喊道,”当我离开时,她已经奄奄一息了?”

Monte Cristo pressed his hands to his forehead. —
蒙特克里斯托把双手按在额头上。 —

What was passing in that brain, so loaded with dreadful secrets? —
那一脑子负载着可怕的秘密时,正在经过什么呢? —

What does the angel of light or the angel of darkness say to that mind, at once implacable and generous? God only knows.
光明之天使或黑暗之天使对那个一面冷酷一面慷慨的心灵说了什么?只有上帝知道。

Monte Cristo raised his head once more, and this time he was calm as a child awaking from its sleep.
蒙特克里斯托再次抬起头,这次的他像一个从睡梦中醒来的孩子那般平静。

“Maximilian,” said he, “return home. —
“马克思米利安,”他说道,”回家吧。 —

I command you not to stir—attempt nothing, not to let your countenance betray a thought, and I will send you tidings. Go.”
我命令你不要动——不要尝试任何事,不要让你的表情暴露出任何想法,我会传你消息的。去吧。

“Oh, count, you overwhelm me with that coolness. Have you, then, power against death? —
“哦,伯爵,你这份冷静让我感到压倒性。你难道对抗死亡有力量吗? —

Are you superhuman? Are you an angel?” And the young man, who had never shrunk from danger, shrank before Monte Cristo with indescribable terror. —
你是超人吗?你是天使吗?”这个年轻人,尽管从来不怕危险,却在蒙特克里斯托面前感到了难以形容的恐惧。 —

But Monte Cristo looked at him with so melancholy and sweet a smile, that Maximilian felt the tears filling his eyes.
但是蒙特克里斯托望着他,露出一种忧郁而甜美的微笑,马克思米利安感到泪水涌上了眼眶。

“I can do much for you, my friend,” replied the count. “Go; I must be alone.”
“我可以为你做很多,我的朋友,”伯爵回答道,”去吧;我必须独处。”

Morrel, subdued by the extraordinary ascendancy Monte Cristo exercised over everything around him, did not endeavor to resist it. —
摩雷尔对于蒙特克里斯托所展现的非凡影响力感到无法抵抗,于是没有试图反抗。 —

He pressed the count’s hand and left. He stopped one moment at the door for Baptistin, whom he saw in the Rue Matignon, and who was running.
他紧紧握着伯蒂桑的手,离开了。他在门口停顿了一会儿,因为他看到了在马丁农路上奔跑的伯蒂桑。

Meanwhile, Villefort and d’Avrigny had made all possible haste, Valentine had not revived from her fainting fit on their arrival, and the doctor examined the invalid with all the care the circumstances demanded, and with an interest which the knowledge of the secret intensified twofold. —
与此同时,维尔福和达维涅尽可能地匆匆赶来,瓦伦泰妮在他们到达时还没有从晕厥中恢复过来,医生以所需的细心和因知道了秘密而加倍的兴趣对病人进行了检查。 —

Villefort, closely watching his countenance and his lips, awaited the result of the examination. —
维尔福紧紧注视着他的表情和嘴唇,等待着检查结果。 —

Noirtier, paler than even the young girl, more eager than Villefort for the decision, was watching also intently and affectionately.
诺提尔比年轻女孩更苍白,比维尔福更渴望得到结果,也一直亲切关注着。

At last d’Avrigny slowly uttered these words: “She is still alive!”
最后,达维涅缓缓说出这些话:“她还活着!”

“Still?” cried Villefort; “oh, doctor, what a dreadful word is that.”
“还活着?”维尔福叫道,“哦,医生,这是多么可怕的话。”

“Yes,” said the physician, “I repeat it; she is still alive, and I am astonished at it.”
“是的,”医生说,“我重复一遍;她还活着,我感到惊讶。”

“But is she safe?” asked the father.
“但是她安全吗?”父亲问道。

“Yes, since she lives.”
“是的,因为她还活着。”

At that moment d’Avrigny’s glance met Noirtier’s eye. —
就在那一刻,达维尼的目光与努瓦蒂埃的目光相遇。 —

It glistened with such extraordinary joy, so rich and full of thought, that the physician was struck. —
它闪烁着非常非凡的快乐,富有思想,使医生感到震惊。 —

He placed the young girl again on the chair,—her lips were scarcely discernible, they were so pale and white, as well as her whole face,—and remained motionless, looking at Noirtier, who appeared to anticipate and commend all he did.
他再次将年轻女孩放在椅子上,她的嘴唇几乎看不到,它们是如此苍白和白皙,就像她整个面容一样,他静止不动,注视着努瓦蒂埃,后者似乎预见并赞赏他所做的一切。

“Sir,” said d’Avrigny to Villefort, “call Mademoiselle Valentine’s maid, if you please.”
“先生,”达维尼对维勒福说,“请叫瓦朗蒂娜小姐的女仆来。”

Villefort went himself to find her; and d’Avrigny approached Noirtier.
维尔福亲自去找她,而达维尼靠近努瓦缇耶。

“Have you something to tell me?” asked he. —
“你有什么要告诉我吗?” 他问道。 —

The old man winked his eyes expressively, which we may remember was his only way of expressing his approval.
老人会意地眨了眨眼睛,这是他表达赞许的唯一方式,我们可能还记得。

“Privately?”
“私下说话吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Well, I will remain with you.” At this moment Villefort returned, followed by the lady’s maid; —
“好的,我会和你待在一起。” 就在这时,维尔福带着那位女仆回来了; —

and after her came Madame de Villefort.
紧接着她后面是维尔福夫人。

“What is the matter, then, with this dear child? —
“怎么了,亲爱的孩子? —

she has just left me, and she complained of being indisposed, but I did not think seriously of it.”
她刚刚离开我,抱怨不舒服,但我没当回事。”

The young woman with tears in her eyes and every mark of affection of a true mother, approached Valentine and took her hand. —
年轻的女人眼含泪水,带着真正母爱的表情走近瓦伦丁,握住了她的手。 —

D’Avrigny continued to look at Noirtier; —
达维尼继续注视着努瓦缇耶; —

he saw the eyes of the old man dilate and become round, his cheeks turn pale and tremble; —
他看到老人的眼睛放大,变得圆形,脸颊变得苍白且颤抖; —

the perspiration stood in drops upon his forehead.
黄汗珠子渗出在他的额头上。

“Ah,” said he, involuntarily following Noirtier’s eyes, which were fixed on Madame de Villefort, who repeated:
“啊。” 他不自觉地跟着努瓦缇耶的眼睛看向维尔福夫人,她重复道:

“This poor child would be better in bed. Come, Fanny, we will put her to bed.”
“这个可怜的孩子上床睡觉会好些。来吧,芬妮,我们会让她躺下。”

M. d’Avrigny, who saw that would be a means of his remaining alone with Noirtier, expressed his opinion that it was the best thing that could be done; —
达夫里尼先生看到这将成为他与努瓦蒂耶独处的机会,表示这是最好的办法; —

but he forbade that anything should be given to her except what he ordered.
但他禁止给她除了他开的药以外的任何东西。

They carried Valentine away; she had revived, but could scarcely move or speak, so shaken was her frame by the attack. —
他们把瓦伦泰妮带走了;她苏醒过来,但身体的剧烈抽搐使她几乎无法动弹或说话。 —

She had, however, just power to give one parting look to her grandfather, who in losing her seemed to be resigning his very soul. —
然而,她勉强有力气向她的祖父投去最后一眼,失去她就像是祖父放弃了自己的灵魂一样。 —

D’Avrigny followed the invalid, wrote a prescription, ordered Villefort to take a cabriolet, go in person to a chemist’s to get the prescribed medicine, bring it himself, and wait for him in his daughter’s room. —
达夫里尼跟着病人去了,开了个处方,要求维勒福特坐上马车亲自去一家药店取药,自己带回来,并在女儿的房间等他。 —

Then, having renewed his injunction not to give Valentine anything, he went down again to Noirtier, shut the doors carefully, and after convincing himself that no one was listening:
然后,再次告诫不要给瓦伦泰妮任何东西后,他再次下楼去找努瓦蒂耶,小心地关上门,在确定没有人在听的情况下:

“Do you,” said he, “know anything of this young lady’s illness?”
“你是说,”他说,“知道这位年轻女士的病情吗?”

“Yes,” said the old man.
“是的。”老人说。

“We have no time to lose; I will question, and do you answer me. —
“我们没有时间可以浪费;我将提问,你回答我。 —

” Noirtier made a sign that he was ready to answer. —
”诺尔缇尔做了个表示,表示他准备回答。 —

“Did you anticipate the accident which has happened to your granddaughter?”
“你是否预料到你的孙女所发生的事故?”

“Yes.” D’Avrigny reflected a moment; then approaching Noirtier:
“是的。”达维涅思考了一会,然后走向诺尔缇尔:

“Pardon what I am going to say,” added he, “but no indication should be neglected in this terrible situation. —
“对不起,我要说的话,”他补充道,“但在这个可怕的情况下,任何迹象都不能被忽视。 —

Did you see poor Barrois die?” Noirtier raised his eyes to heaven.
“你看见可怜的巴鲁瓦死了吗?”努尔缇尔抬起了眼睛望向天空。

“Do you know of what he died!” asked d’Avrigny, placing his hand on Noirtier’s shoulder.
“你知道他是怎么死的吗?”达维涅把手放在诺尔缇尔的肩膀上问道。

“Yes,” replied the old man.
“是的。”老人回答道。

“Do you think he died a natural death?” A sort of smile was discernible on the motionless lips of Noirtier.
“你认为他是自然而然地死去的吗?”努尔缇尔那静止的嘴唇上露出了一丝微笑。

“Then you have thought that Barrois was poisoned?”
“那你认为巴鲁瓦是被毒死的?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Do you think the poison he fell a victim to was intended for him?”
“你认为他所遭受的毒药是专门针对他的吗?”

“No.”
“不是。”

“Do you think the same hand which unintentionally struck Barrois has now attacked Valentine?”
“你认为不经意间打伤巴罗瓦的人现在也袭击了瓦伦丁吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Then will she die too?” asked d’Avrigny, fixing his penetrating gaze on Noirtier. —
“那么她也会死吗?”达维尼问道,他的锐利目光盯着努尔提耶。 —

He watched the effect of this question on the old man.
他观察这个问题对老人的影响。

“No,” replied he with an air of triumph which would have puzzled the most clever diviner.
“不,”他回答道,带着一种胜利的神情,即使是最聪明的占卜者也会感到困惑。

“Then you hope?” said d’Avrigny, with surprise.
“那你有希望吗?”达维尼惊讶地问道。

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“What do you hope?” The old man made him understand with his eyes that he could not answer.
“你希望什么?”老人用他的眼睛告诉他,他不能回答。

“Ah, yes, it is true,” murmured d’Avrigny. —
“啊,是的,”达维尼喃喃道。 —

Then, turning to Noirtier,—“Do you hope the assassin will be tried?”
然后,转向努尔提耶,“你希望谋杀犯会被审判吗?”

“No.”
“不。”

“Then you hope the poison will take no effect on Valentine?”
“那你希望毒药对瓦伦丁没有效果吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“It is no news to you,” added d’Avrigny, “to tell you that an attempt has been made to poison her? —
“告诉你这个消息不会是新闻,”达维尼补充道,“有人试图毒害她。” —

” The old man made a sign that he entertained no doubt upon the subject. —
老人示意他对这个问题毫不怀疑。 —

“Then how do you hope Valentine will escape?”
“那么你希望瓦伦泰妮怎样逃脱呢?”

Noirtier kept his eyes steadfastly fixed on the same spot. —
瓦伦泰尔一直坚定地盯着同一点。 —

D’Avrigny followed the direction and saw that they were fixed on a bottle containing the mixture which he took every morning. —
达维尼顺着他的目光看去,发现他们盯着一瓶装着他每天早上服用的混合物的瓶子。 —

“Ah, indeed?” said d’Avrigny, struck with a sudden thought, “has it occurred to you”—Noirtier did not let him finish.
“啊,确实?”达维尼突然有了一个念头,“你有没有想过”—瓦伦泰尔没有让他说完。

“Yes,” said he.
“有,”他说。

“To prepare her system to resist poison?”
“为了让她的身体抵抗毒药而做准备?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“By accustoming her by degrees——”
“逐渐让她适应——”

“Yes, yes, yes,” said Noirtier, delighted to be understood.
“是的,是的,是的,”瓦伦泰尔高兴地表示理解。

“Of course. I had told you that there was brucine in the mixture I give you.”
“当然了。我告诉过你我给你的混合物里含有布卢辛。”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“And by accustoming her to that poison, you have endeavored to neutralize the effect of a similar poison? —
“通过让她适应那种毒药,你努力中和了同类毒药的效果吗?” —

” Noirtier’s joy continued. “And you have succeeded,” exclaimed d’Avrigny. —
瓦伦泰尔的喜悦持续着。“你成功了,”达维尼惊叹道。 —

“Without that precaution Valentine would have died before assistance could have been procured. —
“如果没有这个预防措施,瓦伦泰妮在得到帮助之前就会死去。” —

The dose has been excessive, but she has only been shaken by it; —
剂量过高,但她只是受到了震动; —

and this time, at any rate, Valentine will not die.”
而这一次,无论如何,瓦伦丁都不会死。”

A superhuman joy expanded the old man’s eyes, which were raised towards heaven with an expression of infinite gratitude. —
一种超人的喜悦扩展开老人的眼睛,他们仰望着天空,表达着无限的感激之情。 —

At this moment Villefort returned.
就在这时,维尔福回来了。

“Here, doctor,” said he, “is what you sent me for.”
“医生,”他说,“这是你让我带来的东西。”

“Was this prepared in your presence?”
“这是在你的面前准备的吗?”

“Yes,” replied the procureur.
“是的,”检察官回答道。

“Have you not let it go out of your hands?”
“你没有让它离开你的手吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

D’Avrigny took the bottle, poured some drops of the mixture it contained in the hollow of his hand, and swallowed them.
达维尼接过瓶子,将其中含有的几滴混合物倒在手心里,然后吞下它们。

“Well,” said he, “let us go to Valentine; —
“嗯,”他说,“我们去见瓦伦丁吧; —

I will give instructions to everyone, and you, M. de Villefort, will yourself see that no one deviates from them.”
我会给每个人下指示,而你,维尔福先生,将亲自确保没有人偏离。”

At the moment when d’Avrigny was returning to Valentine’s room, accompanied by Villefort, an Italian priest, of serious demeanor and calm and firm tone, hired for his use the house adjoining the hotel of M. de Villefort. —
正当达维尼在维尔福的陪同下返回瓦伦丁的房间时,一位举止庄重、沉着和坚定的意大利牧师租下了维尔福先生旁边的房屋用来他的使用。 —

No one knew how the three former tenants of that house left it. —
没人知道那所房子的三个前房客是如何离开的。 —

About two hours afterwards its foundation was reported to be unsafe; —
大约两个小时之后,有报道称其基础不稳固; —

but the report did not prevent the new occupant establishing himself there with his modest furniture the same day at five o’clock. —
但这个报告并没有阻止新住户在同一天下午五点时搬入,并安排自己的简单家具。 —

The lease was drawn up for three, six, or nine years by the new tenant, who, according to the rule of the proprietor, paid six months in advance.
根据房东的规定,新租客签订了为期三年、六年或九年的租约,并提前付了六个月的租金。

This new tenant, who, as we have said, was an Italian, was called Il Signor Giacomo Busoni. —
这位新租客,正如我们所说,是一个意大利人,名叫贾科莫·布索尼。 —

Workmen were immediately called in, and that same night the passengers at the end of the faubourg saw with surprise that carpenters and masons were occupied in repairing the lower part of the tottering house.
立即召来了工人,并且同一天晚上,城郊尽头的乘客们惊讶地看到,木匠和石匠正在修复摇摇欲坠的房子的下部。