Thus around the Nautilus, above and below, was an impenetrable wall of ice.
因此,在Nautilus周围,上下都是一道无法穿透的冰墙。 —

We were prisoners to the iceberg.
我们被这座冰山囚禁着。 —

I watched the Captain. His countenance had resumed its habitual imperturbability.
我看着船长,他的脸色恢复了平静。

“Gentlemen,” he said calmly, “there are two ways of dying in the circumstances in which we are placed.
“先生们,”他平静地说道,“在我们所处的情况下,有两种死亡方式。 —

” (This puzzling person had the air of a mathematical professor lecturing to his pupils.
”(这个令人迷惑的人有着数学教授给学生讲课的样子。 —

) “The first is to be crushed;
)“第一种是被压碎; —

the second is to die of suffocation.
第二种是窒息而死。 —

I do not speak of the possibility of dying of hunger, for the supply of provisions in the Nautilus will certainly last longer than we shall.
我并不提到饥饿导致的死亡可能性,因为Nautilus上的供应肯定能够维持比我们更久的时间。 —

Let us, then, calculate our chances.”
让我们计算一下我们的机会。

“As to suffocation, Captain,” I replied, “that is not to be feared, because our reservoirs are full.”
“关于窒息,船长,我回答道,“那是不用担心的,因为我们的储气罐是满的。

“Just so; but they will only yield two days’ supply of air.
“对的,但是它们只能提供两天的空气供应。 —

Now, for thirty-six hours we have been hidden under the water, and already the heavy atmosphere of the Nautilus requires renewal.
现在,我们已经在水下隐藏了三十六小时,Nautilus内的浑浊空气已经需要更新。 —

In forty-eight hours our reserve will be exhausted.”
“四十八小时后我们的储备将耗尽。”

“Well, Captain, can we be delivered before forty-eight hours?”
“那么,船长,我们能在四十八小时之前得到救援吗?”

“We will attempt it, at least, by piercing the wall that surrounds us.”
“至少我们会尝试,通过打破围绕我们的墙壁。”

“On which side?”
“从哪一边开始?”

“Sound will tell us. I am going to run the Nautilus aground on the lower bank, and my men will attack the iceberg on the side that is least thick.”
“声音会告诉我们。我打算将‘鹦鹉螺号’停靠在较薄的一侧,我的人会从冰山的那一边进行攻击。”

Captain Nemo went out. Soon I discovered by a hissing noise that the water was entering the reservoirs.
尼莫船长离开了。很快我听到一个嘶嘶声,水进入了储水区。 —

The Nautilus sank slowly, and rested on the ice at a depth of 350 yards, the depth at which the lower bank was immersed.
“鹦鹉螺号’缓慢下沉,在下沉的位置,与那片冰的深度为350码。”

“My friends,” I said, “our situation is serious, but I rely on your courage and energy.”
“伙计们,”我说,“我们的情况很严重,但我相信你们的勇气和能力。”

“Sir,” replied the Canadian, “I am ready to do anything for the general safety.”
“先生,”加拿大人回答说,“为了大家的安全,我愿意做任何事情。”

“Good! Ned,” and I held out my hand to the Canadian.
“很好!Ned,”我伸出手与这位加拿大人握手。

“I will add,” he continued, “that, being as handy with the pickaxe as with the harpoon, if I can be useful to the Captain, he can command my services.”
“我还要补充一点,”他接着说,“既然我用镐头和鱼叉一样熟练,如果我能为船长做出贡献,他可以指挥我。”

“He will not refuse your help. Come, Ned!”
“他不会拒绝你的帮助。来吧,尼德!”

I led him to the room where the crew of the Nautilus were putting on their cork-jackets.
我带他去了房间,那里是“鹦鹉螺号”船员穿上橡皮夹克的地方。 —

I told the Captain of Ned’s proposal, which he accepted.
我向船长提起了尼德的建议,他接受了。 —

The Canadian put on his sea-costume, and was ready as soon as his companions.
加拿大人穿上了他的船服,和他的同伴们一样准备好了。 —

When Ned was dressed, I re-entered the drawing-room, where the panes of glass were open, and, posted near Conseil, I examined the ambient beds that supported the Nautilus.
当尼德穿好衣服后,我重新进入了客厅,玻璃窗户敞开着,我站在康塞尔附近,观察着支撑着“鹦鹉螺号”的周围冰块。 —

Some instants after, we saw a dozen of the crew set foot on the bank of ice, and among them Ned Land, easily known by his stature.
几秒钟后,我们看到十几名船员踏上了冰岛岸边,其中有个个子高大的尼德·兰德,很容易辨认出来。 —

Captain Nemo was with them.
尼摩船长和他们在一起。 —

Before proceeding to dig the walls, he took the soundings, to be sure of working in the right direction.
在开始挖掘墙壁之前,他进行了探测,以确保朝正确的方向工作。 —

Long sounding lines were sunk in the side walls, but after fifteen yards they were again stopped by the thick wall.
长长的探测线被沉入侧壁,但是在15码之后又被厚厚的墙壁挡住了。 —

It was useless to attack it on the ceiling-like surface, since the iceberg itself measured more than 400 yards in height.
由于冰山本身高度超过400码,无法攀攻其类似天花板的表面。 —

Captain Nemo then sounded the lower surface.
内摩托船长随即探测了下方表面。 —

There ten yards of wall separated us from the water, so great was the thickness of the ice-field.
有十码厚的墙壁将我们与水隔开,冰场的厚度如此之大。 —

It was necessary, therefore, to cut from it a piece equal in extent to the waterline of the Nautilus.
因此,我们需要切下一块与《鹦鹉螺号》水线相同面积的冰块。 —

There were about 6,000 cubic yards to detach, so as to dig a hole by which we could descend to the ice-field.
共需挖掘大约6,000立方码的冰块,以便我们能够下到冰场。 —

The work had begun immediately and carried on with indefatigable energy.
工作立即展开,并以不知疲倦的精力进行。 —

Instead of digging round the Nautilus which would have involved greater difficulty, Captain Nemo had an immense trench made at eight yards from the port-quarter.
船长尼摩并未绕着《鹦鹉螺号》挖掘,那将会更困难。他在距离船体左舷后部八码处挖了一条巨大的沟槽。 —

Then the men set to work simultaneously with their screws on several points of its circumference.
然后,工人们同时使用螺旋刀切割沟槽的几个点。 —

Presently the pickaxe attacked this compact matter vigorously, and large blocks were detached from the mass.
不久后,镐头有力地攻击了这坚硬的物质,大块的冰从整个冰块中脱落。 —

By a curious effect of specific gravity, these blocks, lighter than water, fled, so to speak, to the vault of the tunnel, that increased in thickness at the top in proportion as it diminished at the base.
由于特殊的比重效应,轻于水的这些方块,可以说是沿着隧道的拱顶逃离,而拱顶在上部增加了厚度,与此同时在底部减小了厚度。 —

But that mattered little, so long as the lower part grew thinner.
但只要下部越来越薄,这并不重要。经过两个小时的辛苦工作, —

After two hours’ hard work, Ned Land came in exhausted.
Ned Land筋疲力尽地进来了。 —

He and his comrades were replaced by new workers, whom Conseil and I joined.
他和他的同伴们被新的工人取代,Conseil和我也加入了他们。 —

The second lieutenant of the Nautilus superintended us.
Nautilus的二副监督着我们的工作。 —

The water seemed singularly cold, but I soon got warm handling the pickaxe.
水似乎异常冷,但我很快就因为挥动镐头而感到热了起来。 —

My movements were free enough, although they were made under a pressure of thirty atmospheres.
我的动作足够自由,尽管是在三十个大气压力下进行的。 —

When I re-entered, after working two hours, to take some food and rest, I found a perceptible difference between the pure fluid with which the Rouquayrol engine supplied me and the atmosphere of the Nautilus, already charged with carbonic acid.
当我在工作了两个小时后重新进来,拿些食物休息时,我发现罗克奥罗发动机提供给我的纯净液体和已经充满了二氧化碳的Nautilus内大气有了明显的区别。 —

The air had not been renewed for forty-eight hours, and its vivifying qualities were considerably enfeebled.
空气已经48小时没有更新了,其活力被大大削弱了。 —

However, after a lapse of twelve hours, we had only raised a block of ice one yard thick, on the marked surface, which was about 600 cubic yards!
然而,经过12个小时的努力,我们只成功了在标记的表面上提升了一个厚度为一码的冰块,大约是600立方码! —

Reckoning that it took twelve hours to accomplish this much it would take five nights and four days to bring this enterprise to a satisfactory conclusion.
据估计,如果按照这个速度,要完成这项任务需要五个夜晚和四天的时间。 —

Five nights and four days!
五个夜晚和四天! —

And we have only air enough for two days in the reservoirs!
而我们的库存只够维持两天! —

“Without taking into account,” said Ned, “that, even if we get out of this infernal prison, we shall also be imprisoned under the iceberg, shut out from all possible communication with the atmosphere.
“更不用说,”尼德说,“即使我们从这个地狱般的牢笼中逃脱出来,我们还将被困在冰山下,无法与大气接触。” —

” True enough! Who could then foresee the minimum of time necessary for our deliverance?
“确实如此!那时有谁能够预测我们被拯救所需的最短时间呢?” —

We might be suffocated before the Nautilus could regain the surface of the waves?
在“鹦鹉螺号”重新浮出水面之前,我们可能会窒息吗? —

Was it destined to perish in this ice-tomb, with all those it enclosed?
它命中注定要在这个冰坟墓中与所有被困在其中的人一同消逝吗?情况太可怕了。 —

The situation was terrible.

But everyone had looked the danger in the face, and each was determined to do his duty to the last.
但每个人都面对着危险,每个人都决心要尽责到底。

As I expected, during the night a new block a yard square was carried away, and still further sank the immense hollow.
正如我所预料的,在夜间,一块一码的新冰块被带走了,巨大的洞底继续下陷。 —

But in the morning when, dressed in my cork-jacket, I traversed the slushy mass at a temperature of six or seven degrees below zero, I remarked that the side walls were gradually closing in.
但是早上当我穿着救生衣穿越温度下降到零下六七度的泥泞堆时,我注意到侧墙正在逐渐闭合。 —

The beds of water farthest from the trench, that were not warmed by the men’s work, showed a tendency to solidification.
靠近沟渠而没有受到人们工作加热的水面开始显示出结冰的趋势。 —

In presence of this new and imminent danger, what would become of our chances of safety, and how hinder the solidification of this liquid medium, that would burst the partitions of the Nautilus like glass?
面对这个新而临近的危险,我们的安全机会将会如何,如何阻止这股液体介质的凝结,以免像玻璃一样冲破鹦鹉螺的隔板?

I did not tell my companions of this new danger.
我没有告诉伙伴们这个新的危险。 —

What was the good of damping the energy they displayed in the painful work of escape?
在艰难的逃生工作中,让他们展现的能量受到挫败有何益处呢? —

But when I went on board again, I told Captain Nemo of this grave complication.
但是当我再次登上船时,我告诉了尼莫船长这个严重的问题。

“I know it,” he said, in that calm tone which could counteract the most terrible apprehensions.
“我知道这个问题,”他用那种能够化解最可怕的恐惧的平静口吻说道, —

“It is one danger more;
“这是另一个危险; —

but I see no way of escaping it;
但是我看不到任何逃脱的办法; —

the only chance of safety is to go quicker than solidification.
唯一的安全机会就是比固化更快地前进。 —

We must be beforehand with it, that is all.”
我们必须在它之前采取行动,那就是全部。”

On this day for several hours I used my pickaxe vigorously.
这一天我用我的镐猛烈地工作了好几个小时。 —

The work kept me up.
这个工作让我保持清醒。 —

Besides, to work was to quit the Nautilus, and breathe directly the pure air drawn from the reservoirs, and supplied by our apparatus, and to quit the impoverished and vitiated atmosphere.
另外,工作就意味着离开“鹦鹉螺”,直接呼吸从储气库中抽取并由我们的设备供应的纯净空气,离开贫乏和污浊的空气。 —

Towards evening the trench was dug one yard deeper.
傍晚时分,沟渠被挖深了一码。 —

When I returned on board, I was nearly suffocated by the carbonic acid with which the air was filled—ah!
当我回到船上时,我几乎被充满二氧化碳的空气闷死了—啊! —

if we had only the chemical means to drive away this deleterious gas.
如果我们有化学手段来驱散这种有害气体,那就好了。 —

We had plenty of oxygen;
我们有足够的氧气; —

all this water contained a considerable quantity, and by dissolving it with our powerful piles, it would restore the vivifying fluid.
所有这些水都含有大量的水,通过用我们强大的设备溶解它,它将恢复活力的液体。 —

I had thought well over it; but of what good was that, since the carbonic acid produced by our respiration had invaded every part of the vessel?
我已经仔细考虑过这个问题,但那又有什么好处呢,因为我们呼吸产生的二氧化碳已经渗透到船上的每个角落了? —

To absorb it, it was necessary to fill some jars with caustic potash, and to shake them incessantly.
为了吸收它,必须用烧碱装满一些罐子,并不停地摇晃它们。 —

Now this substance was wanting on board, and nothing could replace it.
现在船上缺少这种物质,没有任何东西能够代替它。 —

On that evening, Captain Nemo ought to open the taps of his reservoirs, and let some pure air into the interior of the Nautilus;
那天晚上,尼莫船长应该打开储存器的阀门,让一些纯净的空气进入
鹦鹉螺_内部; —

_ without this precaution we could not get rid of the sense of suffocation.
没有这个预防措施,我们就无法摆脱窒息的感觉。 —

The next day, March 26th, I resumed my miner’s work in beginning the fifth yard.
第二天,3月26日,我开始挖掘第五码头。 —

The side walls and the lower surface of the iceberg thickened visibly.
冰山的侧墙和底面明显变厚了。 —

It was evident that they would meet before the Nautilus was able to disengage itself.
很明显他们会在鹦鹉螺能够脱离之前相遇。 —

Despair seized me for an instant;
绝望一瞬间降临到我心头; —

my pickaxe nearly fell from my hands.
我的镐几乎从我的手中滑落。 —

What was the good of digging if I must be suffocated, crushed by the water that was turning into stone?
如果我必须被转化为石头的水所窒息、压碎,挖掘又有何用呢? —

—a punishment that the ferocity of the savages even would not have invented!
这是野蛮人们都不会发明的一种惩罚!就在那时, —

Just then Captain Nemo passed near me.
尼莫船长从我身边走过。 —

I touched his hand and showed him the walls of our prison.
我碰了碰他的手,并向他展示了我们的囚室的墙壁。 —

The wall to port had advanced to at least four yards from the hull of the Nautilus.
左舷的墙壁已经离“鹦鹉螺”至少有四码远了。 —

The Captain understood me, and signed me to follow him.
船长理解了我的意思,并示意我跟随他。 —

We went on board.
我们上了船。 —

I took off my cork-jacket and accompanied him into the drawing-room.
我脱下救生衣,陪他进入了客厅。

“M. Aronnax, we must attempt some desperate means, or we shall be sealed up in this solidified water as in cement.”
“阿罗纳克斯先生,我们必须尝试一些拼死的手段,否则我们将被这凝固的水像混凝土一样封住。”

“Yes; but what is to be done?”
“是的,但是应该怎么做呢?”

“Ah! if my Nautilus were strong enough to bear this pressure without being crushed!”
“啊!如果我的‘鹦鹉螺’足够坚固,可以承受这种压力而不被压碎。”

“Well?” I asked, not catching the Captain’s idea.
“那怎么办?”我问道,没有理解船长的意思。

“Do you not understand,” he replied, “that this congelation of water will help us?
“你不明白吗?”他回答道,“这种水的凝固将会帮助我们。” —

Do you not see that by its solidification, it would burst through this field of ice that imprisons us, as, when it freezes, it bursts the hardest stones?
你岂不明白,当它凝固时,它会冲破囚禁我们的冰原,犹如冻结时会冲破最坚硬的石头一样? —

Do you not perceive that it would be an agent of safety instead of destruction?”
你难道不觉得它会成为安全的工具,而不是毁灭的原因吗?

“Yes, Captain, perhaps. But, whatever resistance to crushing the Nautilus possesses, it could not support this terrible pressure, and would be flattened like an iron plate.”
是的,船长,也许吧。但是,不管那怕是对于抗压的能力来说,鹦鹉螺也无法承受这种可怕的压力,它会像一块铁板一样被压扁。

“I know it, sir. Therefore we must not reckon on the aid of nature, but on our own exertions.
我明白,先生。因此,我们不能指望自然的帮助,而要依靠我们自己的努力。 —

We must stop this solidification.
我们必须阻止这种凝固。 —

Not only will the side walls be pressed together;
不仅侧面墙壁会被挤压在一起, —

but there is not ten feet of water before or behind the Nautilus.
而且在鹦鹉螺前后不到十英尺的水域都会被挤压。 —

The congelation gains on us on all sides.”
冻结正在从四面八方迫近我们。

“How long will the air in the reservoirs last for us to breathe on board?”
我们在储气罐中的空气还能支撑我们在船上的呼吸有多久?

The Captain looked in my face.
船长看着我的脸。 —

“After to-morrow they will be empty!”
“明天后它们会变空!”

A cold sweat came over me. However, ought I to have been astonished at the answer? On March 22, the Nautilus was in the open polar seas.
我被一阵寒汗所包围。然而,我是否应该对这个答案感到惊讶?3月22日,. 鹦鹉螺号在开放的极地海域中。 —

We were at 26°. For five days we had lived on the reserve on board.
我们位于26°的纬度。五天来,我们一直靠船上的储备物资生活。 —

And what was left of the respirable air must be kept for the workers.
而剩下的可呼吸空气必须保留给工作人员。 —

Even now, as I write, my recollection is still so vivid that an involuntary terror seizes me and my lungs seem to be without air.
即使现在,在我写这些文字的时候,我对那个景象仍然记忆犹新,一种无法抑制的恐惧笼罩着我,我的肺仿佛没有空气。 —

Meanwhile, Captain Nemo reflected silently, and evidently an idea had struck him;
与此同时,尼莫船长默默地思考着,显然,某个想法在他脑海中闪现; —

but he seemed to reject it. At last, these words escaped his lips:
但他似乎拒绝了这个想法。最后,他的嘴唇脱口而出:

“Boiling water!” he muttered.
“开水!”他喃喃自语。

“Boiling water?” I cried.
“开水?”我惊呼道。

“Yes, sir. We are enclosed in a space that is relatively confined.
“是的,先生。我们被相对狭窄的空间所包围。 —

Would not jets of boiling water, constantly injected by the pumps, raise the temperature in this part and stay the congelation?”
不断被水泵喷射的开水,能不能提高这个区域的温度,阻止结冰?”

“Let us try it,” I said resolutely.
“让我们试试,”我坚决地说。

“Let us try it, Professor.”
“让我们试试看,教授。”

The thermometer then stood at 7° outside.
温度计显示室外温度为7度。 —

Captain Nemo took me to the galleys, where the vast distillatory machines stood that furnished the drinkable water by evaporation.
纳摩船长带我去了餐厅,那里有一台巨大的蒸馏机,通过蒸发提供饮用水。 —

They filled these with water, and all the electric heat from the piles was thrown through the worms bathed in the liquid.
他们把机器里装满水,并且把所有电热都通过浸泡在液体中的蠕虫放出。 —

In a few minutes this water reached 100°.
几分钟后,水温达到了100度。 —

It was directed towards the pumps, while fresh water replaced it in proportion.
将水引向泵,同时以相同比例加入新鲜水。 —

The heat developed by the troughs was such that cold water, drawn up from the sea after only having gone through the machines, came boiling into the body of the pump.
蒸发器产生的热量使得经过机器后才刚从海里取上来的冷水沸腾进入泵体内。 —

The injection was begun, and three hours after the thermometer marked 6° below zero outside.
开始注入,三小时后,温度计显示室外温度下降到零下6度。 —

One degree was gained. Two hours later the thermometer only marked 4°.
温度上升了一度。两小时后,温度计只显示4度。

“We shall succeed,” I said to the Captain, after having anxiously watched the result of the operation.
“我们将成功,”我对船长说道,一直焦急地观察着操作结果。

“I think,” he answered, “that we shall not be crushed.
“我认为,”他回答道,“我们不会被压垮。 —

We have no more suffocation to fear.”
我们再也不用担心窒息。”

During the night the temperature of the water rose to 1° below zero.
在夜间,水温上升到零度以下1度。 —

The injections could not carry it to a higher point.
注射无法将其提升到更高的位置。 —

But, as the congelation of the sea-water produces at least 2°, I was at least reassured against the dangers of solidification.
但是,海水的冰冻至少产生了2度,这至少让我对固化的危险感到了安心。

The next day, March 27th, six yards of ice had been cleared, twelve feet only remaining to be cleared away.
第二天,3月27日,已清理了六码的冰,只剩下十二英尺需要清理。 —

There was yet forty-eight hours’ work.
还有48小时的工作。 —

The air could not be renewed in the interior of the Nautilus.
空气无法在鹦鹉螺内部更换。 —

And this day would make it worse.
而这一天会使情况变得更糟。 —

An intolerable weight oppressed me.
一种难以忍受的压力压在我身上。 —

Towards three o’clock in the evening this feeling rose to a violent degree.
下午三点左右,这种感觉变得剧烈。我打了个哈欠, —

Yawns dislocated my jaws.
咬碎了我的下巴。 —

My lungs panted as they inhaled this burning fluid, which became rarefied more and more.
我的肺部喘不过气来,吸入这种灼热的液体,越来越稀薄。 —

A moral torpor took hold of me.
一种道德上的麻痹感占据了我。 —

I was powerless, almost unconscious. My brave Conseil, though exhibiting the same symptoms and suffering in the same manner, never left me.
我无力,几乎失去了意识。尽管出现了同样的症状并同样受苦,但我勇敢的康赛尔从未离开过我。 —

He took my hand and encouraged me, and I heard him murmur, “Oh!
他握住我的手鼓励我,我听到他低声说:“哦! —

if I could only not breathe, so as to leave more air for my master!”
如果我能不呼吸,这样可以为主人留更多的空气!

Tears came into my eyes on hearing him speak thus.
听到他这样说,我的眼中流下了泪水。 —

If our situation to all was intolerable in the interior, with what haste and gladness would we put on our cork-jackets to work in our turn!
在内部,我们所有人都难以忍受这种情况,我们多么迫不及待地穿上救生衣轮流工作! —

Pickaxes sounded on the frozen ice-beds.
直到手臂酸痛、手上的皮肤被撕破, —

Our arms ached, the skin was torn off our hands.
我们都用镐敲打着冰冻的冰床。 —

But what were these fatigues, what did the wounds matter?
但这些辛苦又算得了什么呢?关键是有生命的空气进入了我们的肺部! —

Vital air came to the lungs!
我们可以呼吸! —

We breathed! we breathed!
我们可以呼吸!

All this time no one prolonged his voluntary task beyond the prescribed time.
在这段时间里,没有人超过规定的时间继续自愿工作。 —

His task accomplished, each one handed in turn to his panting companions the apparatus that supplied him with life.
完成任务后,每个人轮流把供给生命的装置递给喘着气的伙伴。 —

Captain Nemo set the example, and submitted first to this severe discipline.
尼莫船长起到了表率作用,首先接受了这种严格的训练。 —

When the time came, he gave up his apparatus to another and returned to the vitiated air on board, calm, unflinching, unmurmuring.
当时间到来时,他把装置交给另一个人,返回船上受污染的空气,保持平静,坚定,不抱怨。

On that day the ordinary work was accomplished with unusual vigour.
那天,普通工作以异常的活力完成。 —

Only two yards remained to be raised from the surface.
只有两码距离地面尚未升起。 —

Two yards only separated us from the open sea.
只有两码将我们与开放的海洋分开。 —

But the reservoirs were nearly emptied of air.
但蓄水池里的空气几乎已经耗尽。 —

The little that remained ought to be kept for the workers;
剩下的仅仅足够给工人使用; —

not a particle for the Nautilus.
一个微粒都不留给鹦鹉螺。 —

When I went back on board, I was half suffocated.
当我回到船上时,我几乎窒息。 —

What a night! I know not how to describe it.
多么可怕的夜晚!我不知道如何形容。 —

The next day my breathing was oppressed.
第二天我的呼吸感到困难。 —

Dizziness accompanied the pain in my head and made me like a drunken man.
头痛让我眩晕,像个醉汉一样。 —

My companions showed the same symptoms.
我的同伴们也表现出相同的症状。 —

Some of the crew had rattling in the throat.
船员中有些人喉咙里发出咯咯声。

On that day, the sixth of our imprisonment, Captain Nemo, finding the pickaxes work too slowly, resolved to crush the ice-bed that still separated us from the liquid sheet.
在我们囚禁的第六天,尼莫船长发现用凿子工作太慢,决定粉碎仍然将我们与液体海洋隔开的冰块。 —

This man’s coolness and energy never forsook him.
这个人的冷静和能量从未离开过他。 —

He subdued his physical pains by moral force.
他通过意志力克服了身体的痛苦。

By his orders the vessel was lightened, that is to say, raised from the ice-bed by a change of specific gravity.
按照他的命令,船只被卸载,也就是通过改变比重从冰床上升起。 —

When it floated they towed it so as to bring it above the immense trench made on the level of the water-line.
在它浮起后,他们拖曳着它,将它移动到水线上形成的巨大槽之上。 —

Then, filling his reservoirs of water, he descended and shut himself up in the hole.
然后,填满他的水库,他下降并关上孔洞。

Just then all the crew came on board, and the double door of communication was shut.
就在那时,全部船员上了船,双重的通道门被关闭。 —

The Nautilus then rested on the bed of ice, which was not one yard thick, and which the sounding leads had perforated in a thousand places.
那时,鲨鱼号静静地停在了冰床上,冰厚不过一码,已被声深仪在许多地方穿透。 —

The taps of the reservoirs were then opened, and a hundred cubic yards of water was let in, increasing the weight of the Nautilus to 1, 800 tons.
然后,水库的阀门被打开,一百立方码的水涌进来,将鲨鱼号的重量增加到1800吨。 —

We waited, we listened, forgetting our sufferings in hope.
我们等待着,倾听着,把希望放在最后的机会上,忘记了我们的痛苦。 —

Our safety depended on this last chance.
我们的安全取决于这最后的机会。 —

Notwithstanding the buzzing in my head, I soon heard the humming sound under the hull of the Nautilus.
尽管我头脑嗡嗡作响,我很快听到了鲨鱼号船底下的嗡嗡声。 —

The ice cracked with a singular noise, like tearing paper, and the Nautilus sank.
冰以一种奇特的声音裂开了,像撕纸一样,鲨鱼号下沉了。

“We are off!” murmured Conseil in my ear.
“我们出发了!”康塞尔低声说道,一边对着我的耳朵。

I could not answer him. I seized his hand, and pressed it convulsively.
我无法回答他。我紧紧地握住他的手,用力地握了起来。 —

All at once, carried away by its frightful overcharge, the Nautilus sank like a bullet under the waters, that is to say, it fell as if it was in a vacuum.
突然间,被可怕的超负荷压倒,”鹦鹉螺号”像子弹一样在水下沉了下去,也就是说,它跌落得就像在真空里一样。 —

Then all the electric force was put on the pumps, that soon began to let the water out of the reservoirs.
然后所有的电力都用在了水泵上,很快开始将水从储水池里排出。几分钟后, —

After some minutes, our fall was stopped.
我们的下落停了下来。 —

Soon, too, the manometer indicated an ascending movement.
很快,压力表指示了一个向上的运动。 —

The screw, going at full speed, made the iron hull tremble to its very bolts and drew us towards the north.
螺旋桨全速运转,使铁质船身颤动着,将我们拉向北方。 —

But if this floating under the iceberg is to last another day before we reach the open sea, I shall be dead first.
但是如果在到达开阔海域之前我们还要在冰山下漂浮一天的话,我会先死去。

Half stretched upon a divan in the library, I was suffocating. My face was purple, my lips blue, my faculties suspended. I neither saw nor heard.
我半部分倒在图书馆的长沙发上,正在窒息。我的脸变得紫色,嘴唇发青,我的意识停止了。我既看不见也听不见。 —

All notion of time had gone from my mind.
我完全失去了时间的概念。 —

My muscles could not contract.
我的肌肉不能收缩。 —

I do not know how many hours passed thus, but I was conscious of the agony that was coming over me.
我不知道过了多少小时,但我意识到了那种痛苦正在笼罩我。 —

I felt as if I was going to die.
我感觉好像要死了。 —

Suddenly I came to. Some breaths of air penetrated my lungs.
突然我清醒了过来。一些空气进入了我的肺。 —

Had we risen to the surface of the waves?
我们到达了海面吗? —

Were we free of the iceberg? No!
我们摆脱了冰山的束缚吗?没有! —

Ned and Conseil, my two brave friends, were sacrificing themselves to save me.
尼德和康塞尔,我的两个勇敢的朋友,正在牺牲自己来拯救我。 —

Some particles of air still remained at the bottom of one apparatus.
某种程度上仍有一些空气留在一个装置里。 —

Instead of using it, they had kept it for me, and, while they were being suffocated, they gave me life, drop by drop.
他们没有使用那些空气,而是把它留给了我。在他们被憋死的时候,他们一滴一滴地赋予我生命。 —

I wanted to push back the thing; they held my hands, and for some moments I breathed freely.
我想将那个东西推开,他们却握住了我的手,让我可以自由呼吸了一会儿。 —

I looked at the clock; it was eleven in the morning.
我看了看时钟,已经是上午十一点了。 —

It ought to be the 28th of March. The Nautilus went at a frightful pace, forty miles an hour. It literally tore through the water.
应该是三月二十八号。海底船以惊人的速度前进,每小时四十英里。它简直是撕破水面。 —

Where was Captain Nemo? Had he succumbed?
船长尼莫在哪里?他是否已经不幸身亡? —

Were his companions dead with him?
他的同伴是否与他一同去世? —

At the moment the manometer indicated that we were not more than twenty feet from the surface.
目前,气压计显示我们离水面不超过二十英尺。 —

A mere plate of ice separated us from the atmosphere.
一层薄冰仅隔开我们和外界大气。 —

Could we not break it? Perhaps.
我们能不能打破它呢? —

In any case the Nautilus was going to attempt it.
也许可以。无论如何,鹦鹉螺号打算试试。 —

I felt that it was in an oblique position, lowering the stern, and raising the bows.
我感觉它的姿态是倾斜的,尾部下沉,船首抬起。 —

The introduction of water had been the means of disturbing its equilibrium.
注入水是扰乱了它的平衡的一种手段。 —

Then, impelled by its powerful screw, it attacked the ice-field from beneath like a formidable battering-ram.
然后,受其强大螺旋桨推动,它从下方攻击冰原,如一把强大的撞锤。 —

It broke it by backing and then rushing forward against the field, which gradually gave way;
它通过倒退然后冲向冰原来打破它,冰随之逐渐崩溃。 —

and at last, dashing suddenly against it, shot forwards on the ice-field, that crushed beneath its weight.
最后,突然冲向冰上,鹦鹉螺号向前迅速滑行,将冰原碾碎。 —

The panel was opened—one might say torn off—and the pure air came in in abundance to all parts of the Nautilus.
作动板打开了,可以说是被撕开了,新鲜空气大量涌入鹦鹉螺号的各个部分。