It was bright sunlight in the room when I woke. —
我醒来时房间里明媚的阳光。 —

I thought I was back at the front and stretched out in bed. —
我以为自己睡回到了前线,于是伸展了一下身体。 —

My legs hurt me and I looked down at them still in the dirty bandages, and seeing them knew where I was. —
我的双腿疼痛着,看着仍旧缠着脏绷带,心里清楚自己在哪里。 —

I reached up for the bell-cord and pushed the button. —
我伸手去拉铃绳,按下按钮。 —

I heard it buzz down the hall and then some one coming on rubber soles along the hall. —
从走廊传来铃声声音,然后听到有人穿着橡胶鞋沿着走廊走来。 —

It was Miss Gage and she looked a little older in the bright sunlight and not so pretty.
是盖奇小姐,她在明媚的阳光下看起来有些憔悴,没有那么漂亮。

“Good-morning,” she said. “Did you have a good night?”
“早上好,”她说。“你睡得怎么样?”

“Yes. Thanks very much,” I said. “Can I have a barber?”
“很好,非常感谢,”我说。“我能找个理发师吗?”

“I came in to see you and you were asleep with this in the bed with you.”
“我进来看你的时候,你还在睡觉,身边有这个东西。”

She opened the armoire door and held up the vermouth bottle. It was nearly empty. —
她打开了衣柜门,举起了一瓶苦艾酒。几乎空了。 —

“I put the other bottle from under the bed in there too,” she said. —
“我也把床底下的另一瓶放在那里了,”她说。 —

“Why didn’t you ask me for a glass?”
“为什么不让我找个杯子?”

“I thought maybe you wouldn’t let me have it.”
“我以为你不会让我喝。”

“I’d have had some with you.”
“我本来会跟你一起喝的。”

“You’re a fine girl.”
“你是个好姑娘。”

“It isn’t good for you to drink alone,” she said. “You mustn’t do it.”
“独自喝酒对你不好,”她说。 “你不能这样做。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

“Your friend Miss Barkley’s come,” she said.
“你的朋友巴克莱小姐来了,”她说。

“Really?”
“真的吗?”

“Yes. I don’t like her.”
“是的。我不喜欢她。”

“You will like her. She’s awfully nice.”
“你会喜欢她的。她非常友善。”

She shook her head. “I’m sure she’s fine. Can you move just a little to this side? That’s fine. —
她摇摇头。“我肯定她很好。你能往这边移动一点吗?好了。 —

I’ll clean you up for breakfast.” She washed me with a cloth and soap and warm water. —
我会给你清洗一下,准备早餐。“她用布和肥皂和温水洗我。 —

“Hold your shoulder up,” she said. “That’s fine.”
“把你的肩膀挺直,”她说。 “很好。”

“Can I have the barber before breakfast?”
“早餐前我可以找个理发师吗?”

“I’ll send the porter for him.” She went out and came back. —
“我会派门房去找他。”她出去然后回来。 —

“He’s gone for him,” she said and dipped the cloth she held in the basin of water.
“他已经去找他了,”她说,把手里的布蘸进水里。

The barber came with the porter. He was a man of about fifty with an upturned mustache. —
理发师和门房一起来了。他大约五十岁,留着翘起的胡子。 —

Miss Gage was finished with me and went out and the barber lathered my face and shaved. —
盖吉小姐处理完我之后离开了,理发师给我涂了泡沫,然后刮脸。 —

He was very solemn and refrained from talking.
他一言不发,非常庄严。

“What’s the matter? Don’t you know any news?” I asked.
“怎么了?你不知道有什么消息吗?”我问道。

“What news?”
“什么消息?”

“Any news. What’s happened in the town?”
“任何消息。镇里发生了什么事?”

“It is time of wai” he said. “The enemy’s ears are everywhere.”
“现在是等待的时候,”他说。“敌人的耳朵到处都是。”

I looked up at him. “Please hold your face still,” he said and went on shaving. —
我抬头看着他。“请保持脸部不动,”他说着继续刮胡子。 —

“I will tell nothing.”
“我什么也不会说。”

“What’s the matter with you?” I asked.
“你怎么了?”我问。

“I am an Italian. I will not communicate with the enemy.”
“我是意大利人。我不会和敌人交流。”

I let it go at that. If he was crazy, the sooner I could get out from under the razor the better. —
我不想多说了。如果他疯了的话,我越快摆脱刮胡子的困境就越好。 —

Once I tried to get a good look at him. “Beware,” he said. —
有一次我试图仔细看看他。“小心,”他说。 —

“The razor is sharp.”
“刀片很锐利。”

I paid him when it was over and tipped him half a lira. He returned the coins.
结束时我付了钱并给了他半里拉的小费。他把硬币退还了。

“I will not. I am not at the front. But I am an Italian.”
“我不会接受。我不在前线。但我是意大利人。”

“Get the hell out of here.”
“滚出去。”

“With your permission,” he said and wrapped his razors in newspaper. —
“在您的允许下,”他说着用报纸包好刮胡刀。 —

He went out leaving the five copper coins on the table beside the bed. —
他离开时把五枚铜币放在床边桌子上。 —

I rang the bell. Miss Gage came in. “Would you ask the porter to come please?”
我按了铃。盖奇小姐进来了。“请你叫来门童好吗?”

“All right.”
“好的。”

The porter came in. He was trying to keep from laughing.
门童进来了。他在努力忍住笑。

“Is that barber crazy?”
“那个理发师疯了吗?”

“No, signorino. He made a mistake. He doesn’t understand very well and he thought I said you were an Austrian officer.”
“不,先生。他搞错了。他听力不好,以为我说你是奥地利军官。”

“Oh,” I said.
“哦,”我说。

“Ho ho ho,” the porter laughed. “He was funny. —
“呵呵呵,”门童笑了。“他太好笑了。” —

One move from you he said and he would have–” he drew his forefinger across his throat.
“他说只要你一个动作,他就会——”他用手指划过脖子。

“Ho ho ho,” he tried to keep from laughing. “When I tell him you were not an Austrian. Ho ho ho.”
“呵呵呵,”他努力忍住笑。“我告诉他你不是奥地利人时,呵呵呵。”

“Hoho ho,” I said bitterly. “How funny if he would cut my throat. Ho ho ho.”
“呵呵呵,”我嘲讽地说。“他要是真的切了我的喉咙,那就有多好笑呢。呵呵呵。”

“No, signorino. No, no. He was so frightened of an Austrian. Ho ho ho.”
“不,先生。不,不。他是太害怕奥地利人了。呵呵呵。”

“Ho ho ho,” I said. “Get out of here.”
“呵呵呵,”我说。“出去。”

He went out and I heard him laughing in the hall. —
他走了出去,我听到他在走廊里笑起来。 —

I heard some one coming down the hallway. —
我听到有人沿着走廊走来。 —

I looked toward the door. It was Catherine Barkley.
我看向门口。赫丽格·凯瑟琳站在那里。

She came in the room and over to the bed.
她走进房间,来到床边。

“Hello, darling,” she said. She looked fresh and young and very beautiful. I thought I had never seen any one so beautiful.
“你好,亲爱的,”她说。她看起来神采飛揚,年轻美丽。我觉得从未见过这样美丽的人。

“Hello,” I said. When I saw her I was in love with her. Everything turned over inside of me. —
“你好,”我说。看到她,我就爱上了她。内心万分激动。 —

She looked toward the door, saw there was no one, then she sat on the side of the bed and leaned over and kissed me. —
她看向门口,确认没人后,坐到床边俯身亲吻我。 —

I pulled her down and kissed her and felt her heart beating.
我拉住她,亲吻她,感受她的心跳。

“You sweet,” I said. “Weren’t you wonderful to come here?”
“你太甜了,”我说。“你愿意过来实在太好了。”

“It wasn’t very hard. It may be hard to stay.”
“过来并不难。而在这里待下去或许就不容易了。”

“You’ve got to stay,” I said. “Oh, you’re wonderful.” I was crazy about her. —
“你得留下,”我说。“哦,你真是太棒了。”我对她简直疯狂。 —

I could not believe she was really there and held her tight to me.
我简直无法相信她真的在这里,抱紧她。

“You mustn’t,” she said. “You’re not well enough.”
“你不应该,”她说。“你还没好。”

“Yes, I am. Come on.”
“我好着呢。来吧。”

“No. You’re not strong enough.”
“不,你还不够强壮。”

“Yes. I am. Yes. Please.”
“是的,我够了。是的。拜托了。”

“You do love me?”
“你爱我吗?”

“I really love you. I’m crazy about you. Come on please.”
“我真的爱你。我对你着迷。拜托,来吧。”

“Feel our hearts beating.”
“感受我们心脏的跳动。”

“I don’t care about our hearts. I want you. I’m just mad about you.”
“我不在乎我们的心脏。我只想要你。我为你疯狂。”

“You really love me?”
“你真的爱我吗?”

“Don’t keep on saying that. Come on. Please. Please, Catherine.”
“别再说了。拜托,来吧。拜托,凯瑟琳。”

“All right but only for a minute.”
“好,但只有一分钟。”

“All right,” I said. “Shut the door.”
“好的,”我说。”关上门。”

“You can’t. You shouldn’t.”
“你不能。你不应该。”

“Come on. Don’t talk. Please come on.”
“来吧。别说话。拜托,来吧。”

Catherine sat in a chair by the bed. The door was open into the hall. —
凯瑟琳坐在床边的椅子上。门敞开着通向走廊。 —

The wildness was gone and I felt finer than I had ever felt.
狂野已经消失,我感觉比以往任何时候都更美好。

She asked, “Now do you believe I love you?”
她问道:”现在你相信我爱你了吗?”

“Oh, you’re lovely,” I said. “You’ve got to stay. —
“哦,你太可爱了,”我说。 “你必须留下来。 —

They can’t send you away. I’m crazy in love with you.”
他们不能把你赶走。我为你疯狂地爱着你。”

“We’ll have to be awfully careful. That was just madness. We can’t do that.”
“我们必须非常小心。那只是疯狂。我们不能那样做。”

“We can at night.”
“我们可以在晚上。”

“We’ll have to be awfully careful. You’ll have to be careful in front of other people.”
“我们必须非常小心。在其他人面前你必须小心。”

“I will.”
“我会的。”

“You’ll have to be. You’re sweet. You do love me, don’t you?”
“你必须小心。你很甜蜜。你爱我,对吧?”

“Don’t say that again. You don’t know what that does to me.”
“不要再说那种话了。你不知道那样对我有什么影响。”

“I’ll be careful then. I don’t want to do anything more to you. I have to go now, darling, really.”
“那我会小心的。我不想再对你做什么了。我现在必须走了,亲爱的,真的。”

“Come back right away.”
“赶快回来。”

“I’ll come when I can.”
“我尽快回来。”

“Good-by.”
“再见。”

“Good-by, sweet.”
“再见,亲爱的。”

She went out. God knows I had not wanted to fall in love with her. —
她走了。天知道我本来不想爱上她。 —

I had not wanted to fall in love with any one. —
我本来不想爱上任何人。 —

But God knows I had and I lay on the bed in the room of the hospital in Milan and all sorts of things went through my head but I felt wonderful and finally Miss Gage came in.
但天知道我已经爱上了她,我躺在米兰医院的病房里,脑子里各种想法纷至沓来,但我感觉非常美好,最后盖奇小姐进来了。

“The doctor’s coming,” she said. “He telephoned from Lake Como.”
“医生要来了,”她说。“他从科莫湖打来电话。”

“When does he get here?”
“他什么时候到?”

“He’ll be here this afternoon.”
“今天下午他会到这里来。”