When I was awake after the operation I had not been away. You do not go away. They only choke you. —
手术后,当我醒来时,我并没有远去。你没有离开。他们只是闷住你。 —

It is not like dying it is just a chemical choking so you do not feel, and afterward you might as well have been drunk except that when you throw up nothing comes but bile and you do not feel better afterward. —
这不像是死亡,只是一种化学窒息,所以你感觉不到,事后你可能会感觉像喝醉了一样,唯一不同的是,当你呕吐时只有胆汁,事后你也感觉不舒服。 —

I saw sandbags at the end of the bed. They were on pipes that came out of the cast. —
我看到病床尾部有沙袋。它们压在石膏上的管子上。 —

After a while I saw Miss Gage and she said, “How is it now?”
过了一会,我看到盖奇小姐,她问:“现在感觉怎么样?”

“Better,” I said.
“好一些了,”我说。

“He did a wonderful job on your knee.”
“他给你的膝盖做得非常出色。”

“How long did it take?”
“花了多长时间?”

“Two hours and a half.”
“两个半小时。”

“Did I say anything silly?”
“我说了什么傻话吗?”

“Not a thing. Don’t talk. Just be quiet.”
“一点儿也没有。别说话,安静点。”

I was sick and Catherine was right. It did not make any difference who was on night duty.
我觉得恶心,凯瑟琳是对的。无论是谁值夜班都没什么区别。

There were three other patients in the hospital now, a thin boy in the Red Cross from Georgia with malaria, a nice boy, also thin, from New York, with malaria and jaundice, and a fine boy who had tried to unscrew the fuse-cap from a combination shrapnel and high explosive shell for a souvenir. —
现在医院里还有另外三个病人,来自乔治亚的红十字会的一名瘦弱男孩,患有疟疾,来自纽约的一名同样瘦弱男孩,同时患有疟疾和黄疸,以及一名试图想让一枚混合破片和高爆炮弹的导火索脱落以作纪念品的好男孩。 —

This was a shrapnel shell used by the Austrians in the mountains with a nose-cap which went on after the burst and exploded on contact.
这是奥地利人在山区使用的装有鼻子盖的破片炮弹,鼻子盖在爆炸后启动,在接触时爆炸。

Catherine Barkley was greatly liked by the nurses because she would do night duty indefinitely. —
凯瑟琳·巴克莱非常受护士们的喜爱,因为她愿意无限期地值夜班。 —

She had quite a little work with the malaria people, the boy who had unscrewed the nose-cap was a friend of ours and never rang at night, unless it was necessary but between the times of working we were together. —
她与疟疾患者有很多工作要做,那位试图拧掉鼻子盖的男孩是我们的朋友,他在晚上除非有必要,否则不会按铃,但在工作时间之间我们都在一起。 —

I loved her very much and she loved me. I slept in the daytime and we wrote notes during the day when we were awake and sent them by Ferguson. —
我非常爱她,她也爱我。白天我睡觉,我们在醒着的时候写便条,然后通过费格森送出。 —

Ferguson was a fine girl. I never learned anything about her except that she had a brother in the Fifty-Second Division and a brother in Mesopotamia and she was very good to Catherine Barkley.
费格森是个好姑娘。我没有了解太多关于她,只知道她有一个在第五十二师的兄弟,还有一个在美索不达米亚的兄弟,她对凯瑟琳·巴克利非常好。

“Will you come to our wedding, Fergy?” I said to her once.
“你会来参加我们的婚礼吗,费格?”我曾经对她说过。

“You’ll never get married.”
“你永远不会结婚的。”

“We will.”
“我们会的。”

“No you won’t.”
“不会的。”

“Why not?”
“为什么不会?”

“You’ll fight before you’ll marry.”
“你会先吵架,才会结婚的。”

“We never fight.”
“我们从不吵架。”

“You’ve time yet.”
“你还有时间。”

“We don’t fight.”
“我们不吵架。”

“You’ll die then. Fight or die. That’s what people do. They don’t marry.”
“那你们会死。吵架或者死亡。人们不结婚。”

I reached for her hand. “Don’t take hold of me,” she said. “I’m not crying. —
我伸手去拉她的手。“别碰我,”她说。“我没哭。” —

Maybe you’ll be all right you two. But watch out you don’t get her in trouble. —
也许你们两个会没事。但是小心,不要给她惹麻烦。 —

You get her in trouble and I’ll kill you.”
如果你惹她麻烦,我会杀了你。

“I won’t get her in trouble.”
“我不会让她惹上麻烦。”

“Well watch out then. I hope you’ll be all right. You have a good time.”
“那就小心点。希望你没事。玩得开心。”

“We have a fine time.”
“我们会玩得很愉快的。”

“Don’t fight then and don’t get her into trouble.”
“那就别打架,也别让她惹上麻烦。”

“I won’t.”
“不会的。”

“Mind you watch out. I don’t want her with any of these war babies.”
“注意保护好自己。我不想她和那些战争孩子们有什么关系。”

“You’re a fine girl, Fergy.”
“你是个很好的女孩,弗吉。”

“I’m not. Don’t try to flatter me. How does your leg feel?”
“不,不要来奉承我。你的腿感觉怎么样?”

“Fine.”
“挺好的。”

“How is your head?” She touched the top of it with her fingers.
“你头怎么样?”她用手指碰了一下头顶。

It was sensitive like a foot that had gone to sleep.
头部像是麻木了一样敏感。

“It’s never bothered me.”
“从来没困扰过我。”

“A bump like that could make you crazy. It never bothers you?”
“撞击像那样可能让你疯狂。没有影响过你?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“You’re a lucky young man. Have you the letter done? I’m going down.”
“你是个幸运的年轻人。信写好了吗?我要下去了。”

“It’s here,” I said.
“它来了,”我说。

“You ought to ask her not to do night duty for a while. She’s getting very tired.”
“你应该要求她暂时不再值夜班。她很累了。”

“All right. I will.”
“好吧。我会的。”

“I want to do it but she won’t let me. The others are glad to let her have it. —
“我想这样做,但她不让我。其他人很乐意让她去做。” —

You might give her just a little rest.”
“你可以让她休息一下。”

“All right.”
“好的。”

“Miss Van Campen spoke about you sleeping all the forenoons.”
“范坎本小姐提到你整个上午都在睡觉。”

“She would.”
“她会这样说。”

“It would be better if you let her stay off nights a little while.”
“如果让她休息一段时间会更好。”

“I want her to.”
“我也希望她能休息。”

“You do not. But if you would make her I’d respect you for it.”
“你并不想这样。但如果你能让她的话,我会尊重你的。”

“I’ll make her.”
“我会让她休息。”

“I don’t believe it.” She took the note and went out. —
“我不相信。”她接过纸条走了出去。 —

I rang the bell and in a little while Miss Gage came in.
我按了铃,过了一会儿盖奇小姐进来了。

“What’s the matter?”
“怎么了?”

“I just wanted to talk to you. Don’t you think Miss Barkley ought to go off night duty for a while? —
“我只是想和你谈谈。你不觉得巴克利小姐应该休息一段时间不值夜班吗? —

She looks awfully tired. Why does she stay on so long?”
她看起来很疲倦。为什么她要留那么久?”

Miss Gage looked at me.
盖奇小姐看着我。

“I’m a friend of yours,” she said. “You don’t have to talk to me like that.”
“我是你的朋友,”她说。“你不必那样和我说话。”

“What do you mean?”
“你是什么意思?”

“Don’t be silly. Was that all you wanted?”
“别傻了。这就是你想说的吗?”

“Do you want a vermouth?”
“你要一杯苦艾酒吗?”

“All right. Then I have to go.” She got out the bottle from the armoire and brought a glass.
“好吧。那我得走了。”她打开了衣柜里的酒瓶,拿来一个玻璃杯。

“You take the glass,” I said. “I’ll drink out of the bottle.”
“你拿杯子吧,”我说。“我喝瓶子里的。”

“Here’s to you,” said Miss Gage.
“为你干杯,”盖奇小姐说。

“What did Van Campen say about me sleeping late in the mornings?”
“范坎彭对我早上睡得晚有什么说法?”

“She just jawed about it. She calls you our privileged patient.”
“她就是唠叨了一下。她说你是我们的特权病人。”

“To hell with her.”
“她可不是坏人,”盖奇小姐说。“她只是老了,脾气暴躁。她从来不喜欢你。”

“She isn’t mean,” Miss Gage said. “She’s just old and cranky. She never liked you.”
“不是。”

“No.”
“见鬼去吧。”

“Well, I do. And I’m your friend. Don’t forget that.”
“好吧,我是你的朋友。别忘了。”

“You’re awfully damned nice.”
“你真是太好了。”

“No. I know who you think is nice. But I’m your friend. How does your leg feel?”
“不,我知道你觉得谁好。但我是你的朋友。你的腿感觉怎么样?”

“Fine.”
“好的。”

“I’ll bring some cold mineral water to pour over it. It must itch under the cast. It’s hot outside.”
“我会拿些凉的矿泉水倒在上面。固扭绷带下一定很痒。外面很热。”

“You’re awful nice.”
“你真是太好了。”

“Does it itch much?”
“很痒吗?”

“No. It’s fine.”
“不,很好。”

“I’ll fix those sandbags better.” She leaned over. “I’m your friend.”
“我会把那些沙袋固定好一点。”她俯身过来。“我是你的朋友。”

“I know you are.”
“我知道。”

“No you don’t. But you will some day.”
“不,你还不知道。但总有一天你会知道。”

Catherine Barkley took three nights off night duty and then she came back on again. —
“凯瑟琳·巴克利休了三天夜班,然后又回来工作。” —

It was as though we met again after each of us had been away on a long journey.
“就像我们每次是在彼此长途旅行后再次相遇一样。”