For the next month, occupied with my own affairs, I saw no one connected with this lamentable business, and my mind ceased to be occupied with it. —
在接下来的一个月里,我忙于自己的事务,没有见到任何与这场悲惨事件有关的人,我的思绪也不再被它占据。 —

But one day, when I was walking along, bent on some errand, I passed Charles Strickland. —
但有一天,当我走在路上,正准备办点事时,我经过了查尔斯·斯特里克兰。 —

The sight of him brought back to me all the horror which I was not unwilling to forget, and I felt in me a sudden repulsion for the cause of it. —
看到他,我所有的恐惧又被勾起,我突然对这一切感到厌恶。 —

Nodding, for it would have been childish to cut him, I walked on quickly; —
对他打个招呼,因为对他冷淡无疑会显得孩子气,我加速前行; —

but in a minute I felt a hand on my shoulder.
但一会儿,我感觉到有手在我的肩膀上。

“You’re in a great hurry, ” he said cordially.
“你走得很匆忙,”他友好地说。

It was characteristic of him to display geniality with anyone who showed a disinclination to meet him, and the coolness of my greeting can have left him in little doubt of that.
对于表现出不愿与他见面的任何人,他展现亲切是他的特点,并且我的冷淡问候对此毫无疑问。

“I am, ” I answered briefly.
“是的,”我简短地回答。

“I’ll walk along with you, ” he said.
“我跟着你走吧,”他说。

“Why?” I asked.
“为什么?”我问。

“For the pleasure of your society. “
“为了享受你的陪伴。”

I did not answer, and he walked by my side silently. —
我没有回答,他就沉默地和我并肩走着。 —

We continued thus for perhaps a quarter of a mile. I began to feel a little ridiculous. —
我们这样走了大概四分之一英里。我开始感到有些荒谬。 —

At last we passed a stationer’s, and it occurred to me that I might as well buy some paper. —
最后,我们经过一个文具店,我突然想买点纸。 —

It would be an excuse to be rid of him.
这会是摆脱他的借口。

“I’m going in here, ” I said. “Good-bye. “
“我要进去这家店,”我说。“再见。”

“I’ll wait for you. “
“我会等你。”

I shrugged my shoulders, and went into the shop. —
我耸了耸肩,走进了店里。 —

I reflected that French paper was bad, and that, foiled of my purpose, I need not burden myself with a purchase that I did not need. —
我思考着法国纸的质量不好,而且失败了我的目的,我没必要买一样我不需要的东西。 —

I asked for something I knew could not be provided, and in a minute came out into the street.
我询问了一个明知道无法提供的东西,不一会儿就走出了街上。

“Did you get what you wanted?” he asked.
“你买到你想要的了吗?”他问道。

“No. “
“没有。”

We walked on in silence, and then came to a place where several streets met. I stopped at the curb.
我们默默地继续走着,然后来到几条街道交汇的地方。我停在路边。

“Which way do you go?” I enquired.
“你要走哪条路?”我问。

“Your way, ” he smiled.
“和你一起走,”他微笑着说。

“I’m going home. “
“我要回家。”

“I’ll come along with you and smoke a pipe. “
“我会跟着你一起,抽支烟斗。”

“You might wait for an invitation, ” I retorted frigidly.
“你可以等待邀请的,”我冷冷地回答道。

“I would if I thought there was any chance of getting one. “
“如果我觉得有机会被邀请的话我会等的。”

“Do you see that wall in front of you?” I said, pointing.
“你看见前面那堵墙了吗?”我指着说。

“Yes. “
“是的。”

“In that case I should have thought you could see also that I don’t want your company. “
“在那种情况下,我想你应该也能看出我并不想与你在一起。”

“I vaguely suspected it, I confess. “
“我承认我隐约怀疑过。”

I could not help a chuckle. It is one of the defects of my character that I cannot altogether dislike anyone who makes me laugh. —
我忍不住笑了起来。这是我性格的一个缺点,我无法完全讨厌那些让我笑的人。 —

But I pulled myself together.
但我还是振作起来。

“I think you’re detestable. You’re the most loathsome beast that it’s ever been my misfortune to meet. —
“我觉得你讨厌透了。你是我不幸曾经遇到的最可恶的家伙。” —

Why do you seek the society of someone who hates and despises you?”
“你为什么要寻找一个讨厌和鄙视你的人的社交呢?”

“My dear fellow, what the hell do you suppose I care what you think of me?”
“亲爱的,我到底在乎你对我的看法吗?”

“Damn it all, ” I said, more violently because I had an inkling my motive was none too creditable, “I don’t want to know you. “
“见鬼,”我愈发激动,因为我隐约知道我的动机并不光彩,”我不想认识你。”

“Are you afraid I shall corrupt you?”
“你怕我会败坏你吗?”

His tone made me feel not a little ridiculous. —
他的语气让我感到有些荒谬。 —

I knew that he was looking at me sideways, with a sardonic smile.
我知道他斜眼看着我,带着讥讽的微笑。

“I suppose you are hard up, ” I remarked insolently.
“我猜你是有点手头紧,”我傲慢地说。

“I should be a damned fool if I thought I had any chance of borrowing money from you. “
“如果我以为有希望从你那里借到钱,那我就真是个该死的傻瓜。”

“You’ve come down in the world if you can bring yourself to flatter. “
“如果你能把自己逼着来恭维别人,你就真的没落了。”

He grinned.
他咧着嘴笑了。

“You’ll never really dislike me so long as I give you the opportunity to get off a good thing now and then. “
“只要我给你偶尔的机会让你发挥得不错,你就永远不会真正讨厌我。”

I had to bite my lip to prevent myself from laughing. —
我不得不咬住嘴唇,防止自己笑出声来。 —

What he said had a hateful truth in it, and another defect of my character is that I enjoy the company of those, however depraved, who can give me a Roland for my Oliver. —
他说的话里带着一些可恨的真相,而我的另一个缺点是,我喜欢那些,无论堕落与否,能让我受益的人为伴。 —

I began to feel that my abhorrence for Strickland could only be sustained by an effort on my part. —
我开始感觉到,我对斯特里克兰的憎恶只能靠我自己的努力来维持。 —

I recognised my moral weakness, but saw that my disapprobation had in it already something of a pose; —
我意识到了我的道德上的软弱,但也意识到,我的反感里已经带有一些虚伪; —

and I knew that if I felt it, his own keen instinct had discovered it, too. —
我知道,如果我有这种感觉,他自己敏锐的直觉也会发现的。 —

He was certainly laughing at me up his sleeve. —
他肯定是在暗地里嘲笑我。 —

I left him the last word, and sought refuge in a shrug of the shoulders and taciturnity.
我让他说了最后一句,然后只能耸耸肩膀,保持沉默。